PDA

View Full Version : Money Owner of Smokin' Joe's in Olathe spends 7k on customer's credit card

Hammock Parties
03-21-2018, 08:00 PM
ROFL what the deuce

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article206166859.html

Olathe barbecue owner spent $7,355 on customer's card left at restaurant:

An Olathe barbecue restaurant owner allegedly racked up $7,355 in charges on a credit card left at the business by a customer.

Newly released court documents outline the case against Matthew R. Sander, owner of the long-time Olathe eating establishment Smokin' Joe's Bar-B-Q.

Sander was charged last week with seven counts of identity theft, six counts of misdemeanor theft, and single counts of felony theft and criminal use of a financial card.

A customer told Olathe police that he had dined at the restaurant on Santa Fe Street on Jan. 28, and the next day he could not find his card.

The last place he had used it was Smokin' Joe's. He called the restaurant and was told by employees they could not find the card. He canceled it the next day.

But when he looked at his credit card statement, he found a number of unauthorized purchases from Jan. 28.

Those included $859 spent at a liquor store; $2,134 at Bed Bath & Beyond; $1,575 at Kohl's; $936 at Academy Sports; $999 at The Home Depot; and $322 at Garozzo's restaurant.

Olathe detectives followed up with the businesses and obtained surveillance video that allowed them to identify Sander, according to the court documents.

During some of the transactions, he was allegedly wearing a sweater with a Smokin' Joe's logo on it.

Police arrested Sander at his Overland Park home on March 10.

He declined to give police a statement.

The case is the third time since December that Sander has been charged in Johnson County with similar crimes.

On March 2, Sander was charged with identity theft, criminal use of a financial card and theft.

Those charges stem from alleged crimes in Overland Park on Jan. 25 and involved a different victim than the one named in Monday's allegations.

In December, he was charged with one count of felony theft involving the alleged theft of merchandise from a Sam's Club store in Overland Park.

Sander was also charged last year with driving while intoxicated, according to Platte County Circuit Court records.

He pleaded guilty in January and was fined $500, according to the court records.

Sander is due back in court April 11 on the new case.

http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/ncgo5y/picture206169799/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/sanderhoriz.jpg

Hammock Parties
03-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Fucking 2 grand at bed bath and beyond.

Nice little Saturday.

Bowser
03-21-2018, 08:09 PM
All the while wearing a sweatshirt with his fucking logo on it? ROFL

Throw this dipshit in the clink.

Pitt Gorilla
03-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Restaurant must not be doing very well.

Hammock Parties
03-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Restaurant must not be doing very well.

It has 4/5 stars on 251 reviews on google. ROFL

New World Order
03-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Bye bye bizness

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Yah, but how was the BBQ?

Randallflagg
03-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Yeah, read that the other day.....bummer. I used to stop in there every now and again. The food was good (not great) but it wasn't bad...damned shame.

chinaski
03-21-2018, 08:32 PM
Jesus, what an asshole. I hope he gets raked over the coals for this.

Randallflagg
03-21-2018, 08:44 PM
****ing 2 grand at bed bath and beyond.

Nice little Saturday.

LMAO

He must have bought ever "As seen on TV" product that they had......

Graystoke
03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Jesus, what an asshole. I hope he gets raked over the coals for this.

Hickory or Applewood?

srvy
03-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Fucking 2 grand at bed bath and beyond.

Nice little Saturday.

He will be the best smelling convict in the joint.

HonestChieffan
03-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Maybe it was a simple mistake.

KS Smitty
03-21-2018, 09:41 PM
He should have called Jon Taffer.

Nixhex
03-22-2018, 07:30 AM
All the places he used the card at for purchases that large should have some sort of punishment levied against them as well for not asking for ID. They will use the fake bill pen when you give them a $20 but not ask for ID on at $2,134 credit card purchase? I know for sure if I owned one of those places the employee who accepted the payment would be in hot water.

Sassy Squatch
03-22-2018, 07:33 AM
All the places he used the card at for purchases that large should have some sort of punishment levied against them as well for not asking for ID. They will use the fake bill pen when you give them a $20 but not ask for ID on at $2,134 credit card purchase? I know for sure if I owned one of those places the employee who accepted the payment would be in hot water.
If it was one of those chip reader deals it won't even ask for a pin sometimes. Fucking dumb. Just insert, take out, and go.

Dayze
03-22-2018, 07:35 AM
"lemme show you how I tenderize a pork butt".

/ new Cell Mate

Nixhex
03-22-2018, 07:36 AM
If it was one of those chip reader deals it won't even ask for a pin sometimes. Fucking dumb. Just insert, take out, and go.

Right. The credit card companies are so fucking rich they don't even care about all the fraud loss as they are the ones who usually end up paying for it. The merchants rarely have to pay. Hence the reason they don't give a fuck and will let anyone walk in with a credit card and buy up the whole store without checking their identity.

BigRedChief
03-22-2018, 07:36 AM
All the places he used the card at for purchases that large should have some sort of punishment levied against them as well for not asking for ID. They will use the fake bill pen when you give them a $20 but not ask for ID on at $2,134 credit card purchase? I know for sure if I owned one of those places the employee who accepted the payment would be in hot water.Businesses are not responsible for fraud on the card. Its all on the card issuer. They dont ask for ID and or confiscate cards anymore.

Jewish Rabbi
03-22-2018, 07:38 AM

Why would the employee be in hot water? If the card was inserted, the liability is 100% on the credit card company. The employees most likely did everything right.

KCUnited
03-22-2018, 07:39 AM
That's a mixed plate of different purchases.

Nixhex
03-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Why would the employee be in hot water? If the card was inserted, the liability is 100% on the credit card company. The employees most likely did everything right.

While the liability is true it puts off a really bad look to your customer base. It comes of as greedy and that all you want to do is make a sale. It's like who gives a fuck if we are allowing someone to be defrauded when all we had to do was ask to see their ID? I realize fake ID's are out there and you can't do much about that.

Let me ask you this. Would you be happy with your bank if they allowed someone who obtained your account number somehow to just withdraw all the money in your account without even checking ID? Of course you would be pissed off. Sure the bank will pay you back but wouldn't want to close your account there for that type of negligence? Why would you not feel the same way about a merchant allowing two thousand dollar purchases on a credit card without checking ID?

BWillie
03-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Why on Earth would someone do this? I don't get people. Did you think nobody would find out? And you do it to one of your paying customers no less...what a scumbag

Sassy Squatch
03-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Why on Earth would someone do this? I don't get people. Did you think nobody would find out? And you do it to one of your paying customers no less...what a scumbag
He's done it before, as well.

Dayze
03-22-2018, 09:14 AM
I imagine when they went to arrest him, he denied it. Until being informed he was wearing a shirt with his own logo on it.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a09fb5754797800b17784cb90367f94e/tumblr_noifxgK3yH1taq4zmo1_500.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7a5d42a4cdfcea8c19336ecf54a7b7c0/tumblr_noifxgK3yH1taq4zmo2_500.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/df8462c7899bc1eba13a3398cc124500/tumblr_noifxgK3yH1taq4zmo3_500.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/212551fa6c9a7c5e539a81e5b72372c2/tumblr_noifxgK3yH1taq4zmo4_500.png

ChiliConCarnage
03-22-2018, 09:15 AM
It seems he's on a real downward spiral. Can't they expedite one of his court dates up to get him off the streets?

notorious
03-22-2018, 09:25 AM

/ new Cell Mate

His asshole will be smoking a lot of sausage in the clink.

Bearcat
03-22-2018, 09:34 AM
While the liability is true it puts off a really bad look to your customer base. It comes of as greedy and that all you want to do is make a sale. It's like who gives a **** if we are allowing someone to be defrauded when all we had to do was ask to see their ID? I realize fake ID's are out there and you can't do much about that.

Let me ask you this. Would you be happy with your bank if they allowed someone who obtained your account number somehow to just withdraw all the money in your account without even checking ID? Of course you would be pissed off. Sure the bank will pay you back but wouldn't want to close your account there for that type of negligence? Why would you not feel the same way about a merchant allowing two thousand dollar purchases on a credit card without checking ID?

It comes off to me like a dumb cashier who might still be in high school, and who knows if they were properly trained... and with no context, either. Maybe they did ask for ID and he was able to talk them out of it (oh, uh, it's in my car... guess I could run out. Oh, it's fine).

If it happened to me at a bank, I'd probably ask questions before assuming anything.

Jewish Rabbi
03-22-2018, 11:00 AM
While the liability is true it puts off a really bad look to your customer base. It comes of as greedy and that all you want to do is make a sale. It's like who gives a fuck if we are allowing someone to be defrauded when all we had to do was ask to see their ID? I realize fake ID's are out there and you can't do much about that.

That’s not a fair comparison at all. If a charge on my credit card goes through that I didn’t make, I can immediately dispute it and not be out any spending power. If someone does that to my bank account, I am at least temporarily without that money.

And while the retailer has the right to ask for an ID, the agreements with Visa and MasterCard prohibit them from denying the card if the purchaser refuses to show one.

Nixhex
03-22-2018, 11:42 AM
That’s not a fair comparison at all. If a charge on my credit card goes through that I didn’t make, I can immediately dispute it and not be out any spending power. If someone does that to my bank account, I am at least temporarily without that money.

And while the retailer has the right to ask for an ID, the agreements with Visa and MasterCard prohibit them from denying the card if the purchaser refuses to show one.

I don't know about you but the card attached to my checking account can be used as credit or debit. So the comparison is pretty fair.

That is interesting about the Visa and MasterCard agreements. I wasn't aware of that. The income from interchange, fees and interest obviously greatly outweighs their fraud losses.

Jewish Rabbi
03-22-2018, 11:44 AM
I don't know about you but the card attached to my checking account can be used as credit or debit. So the comparison is pretty fair.

That is interesting about the Visa and MasterCard agreements. I wasn't aware of that. The income from interchange, fees and interest obviously greatly outweighs their fraud losses.

Any pinless transaction gets processed as credit, not debit. That's why there are sometimes pending transactions, and sometimes the charge clears right away.

So, if it is processed as credit, the money does not come out right away.

lcarus
03-22-2018, 11:49 AM
I lived a few blocks from this place as a kid. We ate there a few times and it wasn't very good.

This guy seems like a real winner though...

allen_kcCard
03-22-2018, 11:52 AM

/ new Cell Mate

So, I hear you like Smokin' Joe's.......nice to meet you, I'm Joe.

gblowfish
03-22-2018, 01:14 PM
This is so unbelievably heinous. If it was a bus boy who did this, I'd understand. But the OWNER? He is going to be soooo bankrupt soon.

ptlyon
03-22-2018, 01:35 PM
So, I hear you like Smokin' Joe's sausage.......nice to meet you, I'm Joe.

Fyp

Randallflagg
03-22-2018, 01:51 PM

/ new Cell Mate

"Hey Bud.....smoke this..."

/new cell mate

Dayze
03-22-2018, 01:52 PM
gratuitous 'beef injector' reference.

suzzer99
03-22-2018, 03:15 PM
This dude obviously has some kind of compulsion. He probably gets off on it.

eDave
03-22-2018, 03:26 PM
$1,575 at Kohl's is a whole lot of shit from Kohl's.

Chief Pagan
03-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Let me ask you this. Would you be happy with your bank if they allowed someone who obtained your account number somehow to just withdraw all the money in your account without even checking ID?

I don't know that there are that strong of protections on banks. If they have the account number and your social security number they could pretty much just wire the money to another account.

It was years ago but when I bough a house I borrowed $25,000 from my mom. She wrote a personal check and then about six months later I paid her back.

I contacted the bank to see if there would be any issue with the check going through and they were like, "no, not as long as the money is there." It didn't sound like it even mattered whether the last name was the same. And if you have a drug addict in your family, that might be the sort of person who could and would steal your checkbook anyway.

The fraud protections in this country have been weak for a long time and seem to be getting weaker. I'm surprised there isn't even more fraud than there already is.

Take what protective steps you can and hope for the best. When my bank mailed me a combined debit/credit card, I went to the bank and exchanged it for a debit only card with a $300 daily limit.

SAUTO
03-22-2018, 05:18 PM
He was shopping for his dope dealer I would say...

SuperBowl4
03-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Keep looking for the last honest man.

TribalElder
03-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Smoking Joes sucked at being a restaurant

banecat
08-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Bump?

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 01:31 AM
$1,575 at Kohl's is a whole lot of shit from Kohl's.
They sell some higher priced shit there. Not too far-fetched to quickly hit that.

loochy
08-01-2018, 06:46 AM
They sell some higher priced shit there. Not too far-fetched to quickly hit that.

I LOVE MEDIUM QUALITY KHAKIS
Posted via Mobile Device

rabblerouser
08-01-2018, 09:17 AM

I've never spent $1700 at Kohl's, total in my lifetime.

It's what white trash considers "classy".

Bugeater
08-01-2018, 09:19 AM
I buy all my jorts at Kohl's

phisherman
08-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Drugs and alcohol can push people towards some questionable decisions.

rabblerouser
08-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Drugs and alcohol can push people towards some questionable decisions.

Don't blame the drugs and alcohol. Some people are rotten to the core.

The dope and alcohol don't MAKE anyone do anything...it just lets em.

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
I LOVE MEDIUM QUALITY KHAKIS
Posted via Mobile Device
LMAO

Jewelry or massively overpriced kitchenware could easily donit.

excessive
08-01-2018, 12:30 PM
"Jewelry or massively overpriced kitchenware could easily donit."

He must have had a 30% off coupon. Man, those Kohl's deal are impossible to pass up when you've got the 30% off coupon.

rabblerouser
08-01-2018, 01:02 PM

He must have had a 30% off coupon. Man, those Kohl's deal are impossible to pass up when you've got the 30% off coupon.
Fuck man, I've never been the larcenous type...but 30% off at Kohl's could convince me to just grab a random person's credit and head down to 39th St.

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

I've dated someone that had like a 5k balance on a Kohl's card.

"Hard to pass up 30%" "They have it all the fucking time" "What a great deal though!"

Rain Man
08-01-2018, 01:27 PM
I've dated someone that had like a 5k balance on a Kohl's card.

"Hard to pass up 30%" "They have it all the ****ing time" "What a great deal though!"

Has Michael's ever not had picture frames for 70% off? I think they jack up the prices for one minute on January 22nd every year just so they can claim sales for the rest of the year.

And I hope you broke up with the Kohl's shopper. Having a 5K balance on any department store card should be a dealbreaker.

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Has Michael's ever not had picture frames for 70% off? I think they jack up the prices for one minute on January 22nd every year just so they can claim sales for the rest of the year.

And I hope you broke up with the Kohl's shopper. Having a 5K balance on any department store card should be a dealbreaker.
The 5k Kohl's balance was only the beginning of her tidal wave of debt. I ended that years ago.

BIG_DADDY
08-01-2018, 01:40 PM
The 5k Kohl's balance was only the beginning of her tidal wave of debt. I ended that years ago.

My problem is too much shit. I think these minimalists may be onto something. I dread my next move.

TinyEvel
08-01-2018, 01:40 PM
I buy all my jorts at Kohl's

Yeah? I wait until the next season, then buy them at ROSS.

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM
My problem is too much shit. I think these minimalists may be onto something. I dread my next move.
Had that problem with all the baby stuff the wife and I collected because we didn't rid of things shortly after the little one grew out of it.

List it for cheap and fire sale that shit off.

TinyEvel
08-01-2018, 01:42 PM
What a lame bunch of stores. Glad they nabbed him before he could get over to Burlington Coat Factory or Wickes furniture.

Simply Red
08-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Kohl's is a dump - it's where Bugle Boy went to die and their best brand is Chaps. NTTAWWT

loochy
08-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Kohl's is a dump - it's where Bugle Boy went to die and their best brand is Chaps. NTTAWWT

YOU'RE A DUMP. NTTAWWT
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG_DADDY
08-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Had that problem with all the baby stuff the wife and I collected because we didn't rid of things shortly after the little one grew out of it.

List it for cheap and fire sale that shit off.

5 vehicles, tons of tools. 3 bedrooms loaded and they have king size tempurpedic beds which are a pain in the ass to move. Tons of workout equipment. Patio sets, TV's, stereo systems, furniture up the wazoo. A portable infrared sauna. It's hard to keep everything just working. Yes I am starting to sell/give away/donate lots of things. Don't get me started on kitchen crap or clothes.

BWillie
08-01-2018, 03:47 PM
I think I will eat at Smoking Joes this weekend, to prove to young people that you don't have to give a shit about what the owner does or not as long as you like the product. Okay who am I kidding, their BBQ is lower tier for Kansas City.

SAUTO
08-01-2018, 03:59 PM
I've never spent $1700 at Kohl's, total in my lifetime.

It's what white trash considers "classy".

Everything I've seen there is cheaper somewhere else

bigjosh
08-01-2018, 04:34 PM
I get shoes there on sale, thats about it though. Cant beat new balance and converse for 35 bucks.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

BryanBusby
08-01-2018, 04:51 PM
5 vehicles, tons of tools. 3 bedrooms loaded and they have king size tempurpedic beds which are a pain in the ass to move. Tons of workout equipment. Patio sets, TV's, stereo systems, furniture up the wazoo. A portable infrared sauna. It's hard to keep everything just working. Yes I am starting to sell/give away/donate lots of things. Don't get me started on kitchen crap or clothes.

holy shit

Rain Man
08-01-2018, 06:26 PM

Oh, man. I loved Bugle Boy back in the late 80s and early 90s. They made great clothes. I wore a Bugle Boy shirt on my first date with my wife just to impress her with its fit and style.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PSCuBANoaLc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HemiEd
08-01-2018, 07:22 PM
He probably spent it on Royals gear and Nike stuff, they have a lot of that. Pretty good sneaker selection