PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs For those wanting us to switch to 4-3 D

Chief Roundup
03-27-2018, 05:43 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article206950059.html

Will Chiefs switch to 4-3 defense? Andy Reid gives his answer

By Terez A. Paylor

tpaylor@kcstar.com

Despite posting the league's 28th-ranked defense in 2017, don't expect the Chiefs to switch defensive schemes anytime soon.

Although Chiefs coach Andy Reid used a 4-3 scheme during his largely successful 14-year tenure as the Philadelphia Eagles' coach, Reid made it clear during the coaches breakfast at the NFL's annual meeting on Tuesday that he still believes in the 3-4 scheme they've used since his arrival in Kansas City in 2013.

"There’s so much flexibility in the 3-4," Reid said.

Reid added that the Chiefs aren't a "true" 3-4 team, because defensive coordinator Bob Sutton's scheme already calls for more of the gap-shooting that is used in the 4-3 defense. But Reid does like the way the two stand-up edge rushers over the tackles in a 3-4 cause problems for offensive linemen, who don't know whether those defenders will rush or drop into coverage.
Never miss a local story.

"Having that thought that you have that guy over you that could drop and someone else comes, that’s tough on an offensive guy," Reid said.

Reid also noted that because of the way teams are passing out of three- and four-wide sets, the Chiefs used nickel or dime personnel — which often calls for four down linemen, just like a 4-3 scheme — 73 percent of the time, so they spend the overwhelming amount of time using 4-3 principles.

Moreover, a switch to a 4-3 scheme would likely require a new defensive coordinator, as Bob Sutton is well-versed in the 3-4. And despite the Chiefs' defensive struggles at times last year, Reid still believes in Sutton's ability to put together a top-ranked unit.

"Listen, I think we're OK there," Reid said. "I always look at the big picture of things with Bob and our coaches, and I know what he's done here the last five years. (People are) basing (the reaction) off one game, or two games, and I'm basing it off of five years. So I'm comfortable with him in that spot."

That said, Reid still expects defensive improvement in 2018.

"Do we all need to take our games up a notch?" Reid asked. "Absolutely."

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Oh for fuck's sake...

Tribal Warfare
03-27-2018, 07:03 PM
It's more to the point of replacing Bob "Mr Magoo" Sutton for a competent DC.

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Oh for ****'s sake...

You love Bob Sutton so just admit it !!!:shrug:

Sassy Squatch
03-27-2018, 07:12 PM
"Listen, I think we're OK there," Reid said. "I always look at the big picture of things with Bob and our coaches, and I know what he's done here the last five years. (People are) basing (the reaction) off one game, or two games, and I'm basing it off of five years. So I'm comfortable with him in that spot."

2 of the worst blown leads in playoff history. Yeah, I'm looking at the most important games, and this motherfucker has been shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-27-2018, 07:14 PM
You love Bob Sutton so just admit it !!!:shrug:

No, I don't.

How do you go from fielding a competent, above average defense for two seasons in a row, and then fall off the face of the earth?

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:24 PM

2 of the worst blown leads in playoff history. Yeah, I'm looking at the most important games, and this mother****er has been shit.

This is Reid indirectly admitting we had very little talent on the field with absolutely no depth and it is not Sutton's fault. Whose then ???? Is this another reason Dorsey was let go as well??

Titty Meat
03-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Love the 3-4

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
No, I don't.

How do you go from fielding a competent, above average defense for two seasons in a row, and then fall off the face of the earth?

Their red zone defense was the only thing above average in those 2 years. Our run defense was still a sieve between the 20's. Our severe lack of defensive depth when players like Berry and Houston went down and Ford not doing anything has killed us. Our defensive drafts these past few years finally caught up to us last year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Their red zone defense was the only thing above average in those 2 years. Our run defense was still a sieve between the 20's. Our severe lack of defensive depth when players like Berry and Houston went down and Ford not doing anything has killed us. Our defensive drafts these past few years finally caught up to us last year.

And the year before and the year before...

Sutton sucks and the 3-4 is for quitters.

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Love the 3-4

Yep, I do as well. Not only is more flexible to cover the pass but it hides the blitzing much better and is not so obvious. The downside is that you have to have very multi-talented players in those key positions.

You want to make sure that "21 sacks Houston" can drop in coverage 60% of the time.:D

KChiefs1
03-27-2018, 07:38 PM
I think I'm going to be sick.

Moreover, a switch to a 4-3 scheme would likely require a new defensive coordinator, as Bob Sutton is well-versed in the 3-4. And despite the Chiefs' defensive struggles at times last year, Reid still believes in Sutton's ability to put together a top-ranked unit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-27-2018, 07:39 PM
I think I'm going to be sick.

Sounds like a catchy slogan:

Chiefs defense; taste the vomit!

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:40 PM
And the year before and the year before...

Sutton sucks and the 3-4 is for quitters.

I agree Sutton sucks but Reid thinks otherwise and is giving him a pass because of Dorsey's bad drafts.

Respectfully disagree that the 3/4 is for quitters. NFL is now dominated by the pass and the 3/4 is by far better in defensing the pass. It's just finding talented players to play it is very difficult.

chiefzilla1501
03-27-2018, 07:42 PM
He better be right. Interesting that Reid is so resistant to a 4-3 when the defense that made him famous is as popular as ever. Andy Reid got put on the map by an aggressive attacking defense, and got taken off the map by a soft zone version of Jim Johnson's defense. Sure hope he's not falling into that trap all over again.

If he's wrong on this in a year where we have a shot at rebuilding, we've set this defense back a few years.

HemiEd
03-27-2018, 07:46 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Is this 2003 again?

Circus offense with a no punt defense?

Chiefshrink
03-27-2018, 07:52 PM
He better be right. Interesting that Reid is so resistant to a 4-3 when the defense that made him famous is as popular as ever. Andy Reid got put on the map by an aggressive attacking defense, and got taken off the map by a soft zone version of Jim Johnson's defense. Sure hope he's not falling into that trap all over again.

If he's wrong on this in a year where we have a shot at rebuilding, we've set this defense back a few years.

You are very correct and a year where while rebuilding we can still have a legit shot at winning big which is very rare.:shrug:

TribalElder
03-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Bob Sutton’s scheme is to lay down and take it

Coogs
03-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Reid also noted that because of the way teams are passing out of three- and four-wide sets, the Chiefs used nickel or dime personnel — which often calls for four down linemen, just like a 4-3 scheme — 73 percent of the time, so they spend the overwhelming amount of time using 4-3 principles.

We play 4-3 principles 73% of the time. But we build our defense to fit the other 27%.

Flying High D
03-27-2018, 08:11 PM
“If the defense sucks this year, no more fried chicken for you Andy.”

Chunt

W would have a new DC by noon.

RunKC
03-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Bob Sutton turned a defense full of scrubs and broken old players into the 15th ranked defense in points allowed.

He’s a miracle worker.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Bob Sutton turned a defense full of scrubs and broken old players into the 15th ranked defense in points allowed.

He’s a miracle worker.

Yep. There’s some fucking revisionist history going on here.

Personally, I fucking HATE the 4-3.

milkman
03-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Scheme doesn't matter.

Talent and coaching is what does matter.

milkman
03-27-2018, 09:05 PM

He’s a miracle worker.

At some point, however, you would like to see the defense force a couple of 3 and outs.

I won't lay the blame solely on Sutton, because this defense was devoid of talent in numerous spots.

RustShack
03-27-2018, 09:29 PM
I’m fine with sticking with it, but Houston and/or Ford need to be blitzing a hell of a lot more again.

New World Order
03-27-2018, 09:40 PM
We have an elite pass rusher.

Send him every fucking time!

Rausch
03-28-2018, 02:47 AM
Personally, I ****ing HATE the 4-3.

Ditto...

Sassy Squatch
03-28-2018, 05:15 AM

He’s a miracle worker.
Yeah. It's a miracle how his defense gave up 35 points in a half to the Colts.

Easy 6
03-28-2018, 05:46 AM
I’m fine with sticking with it, but Houston and/or Ford need to be blitzing a hell of a lot more again.

Everything our new defensive additions have said about what they were told coming in, points to a much more aggressive version of Grandpa Bobs scheme... I'm not gonna blame it all on personnel, but it does seem like that played a heavy hand in last years soft bitch scheme

Dunerdr
03-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Would require a new DC? I'm not for getting rid of Sutton we were thin at spots, talentless at others, and pretty old in others, but didn't he work in a 4-3 before he came here?

Easy 6
03-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Would require a new DC? I'm not for getting rid of Sutton we were thin at spots, talentless at others, and pretty old in others, but didn't he work in a 4-3 before he came here?

Nope, he was in a 3-4 with the Jets

-King-
03-28-2018, 06:08 AM
We have an elite pass rusher.

Send him every fucking time!

Houston isn't elite. He's a decent to good pass rusher these days. Nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunerdr
03-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Nope, he was in a 3-4 with the Jets

I thought Rex played both to disguise the blitz with the primary being the 4-3, but now that I'm awake I vaguely remember fluff pieces about Suttons brilliant 3-4 mind coming to kc way back when.

InChiefsHeaven
03-28-2018, 06:53 AM
Houston isn't elite. He's a decent to good pass rusher these days. Nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indeed. Seriously, he's done a big bag of nothing since he got paid. Between injuries and performance, I really don't see him as a huge difference maker. Yes, I'd rather have him on the field, but I just don't think of him as elite. He's living off of 2014...3 fuggin seasons ago...

https://www.google.com/search?q=justin+houston+stats&oq=Justin+Houtson&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.4838j0j8&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

O.city
03-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Houston is a 10 sack per year plus guy. That's not easy to come by.

Toad
03-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Agree that he better be right in his loyalty to Sutton. After 2 off seasons of the new younger/faster player aquuisition strategy, he better show dramatic improvement in points AND yards allowed.

Toad
03-28-2018, 08:58 AM
BTW, on a related note, I came across this article around the late great Jim Johnson. Good read...

http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Lawlor-Jim-Johnson-Was-The-Mastermind/e74cbf7c-5fc6-4de6-8db9-0cb5fc2deb36