PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Brett Veach: "We're still working on the defense and we're gonna stay aggressive"

UChieffyBugger
03-28-2018, 06:48 AM
Says it HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHBvwcg35o) In his interview with GMFB this morning.

Really impressed with him thus far. He's made so many good moves and when he talks he inspires confidence imo. I really hope he can be the GM to finally take us to the super bowl and hopefully have a long and successful future here.

TambaBerry
03-28-2018, 06:51 AM
i just love the fact that he is going after younger players who are still hungry, i don't think we'll see giant contracts to old fucks anymore

Nickhead
03-28-2018, 07:06 AM
im upset veach didn't mention fuller in the watkins, hitchins deals :cuss:

loochy
03-28-2018, 07:07 AM
i don't think we'll see giant contracts to old fucks anymore

except for sutton

MotherfuckerJones
03-28-2018, 07:28 AM
It’s nice to have a GM that’s not a bumbling idiot. Really impressed with him. This is a big draft for Brett Veach. He’s one of the best evaluators in the game.

Simply Red
03-28-2018, 07:32 AM
He’s one of the best evaluators in the game.

Easy now - a tad early on that claim. I sure hope so though.

Sassy Squatch
03-28-2018, 07:33 AM
except for sutton
Don't think that's Veachs call to make.

Stryker
03-28-2018, 07:33 AM

He did mention Fuller at the 3:57 mark.

RunKC
03-28-2018, 07:40 AM
It sure sounds like we are going to be trading up next month. Veach is really aggressive and I love it.

Reminding me more and more of Howie Roseman

Red Dawg
03-28-2018, 07:43 AM
It sure sounds like we are going to be trading up next month. Veach is really aggressive and I love it.

Reminding me more and more of Howie Roseman

If he pulls of a trade up would it be for a hard hitting saftey to go along with Berry?

Simply Red
& don't get me wrong - I'm glad he's here too.

Simply Red

thank you.

Nickhead
03-28-2018, 08:04 AM

lil late at that point, but yes he did.

just that fuller was the first domino to fall for the chiefs. :thumb:

Simply Red
03-28-2018, 08:13 AM
lil late at that point, but yes he did.

just that fuller was the first domino to fall for the chiefs. :thumb:

He was unnoticed because when he arrived - Black Jesus departed.

nychief
03-28-2018, 08:19 AM
He’s one of the best evaluators in the game.

He hasn’t even had a draft yet. Jesus.

Perineum Ripper
03-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Why would he bring up a guy they traded for while the question he was answering dealt with free agency

ModSocks
03-28-2018, 10:20 AM

This.

Yes, yes, i'm aware of the talent he partook in drafting. But he hasn't done it as an actual GM. We only hear about the good players he "banged the table" for (fuck i hate that phrase. Fuck you Mike Mayock) and we haven't heard about the ones he loved that were busts.

Lets see him assemble a couple of drafts of his own.

ModSocks
03-28-2018, 10:21 AM
It’s nice to have a GM that’s not a bumbling idiot. Really impressed with him. This is a big draft for Brett Veach. He’s one of the best evaluators in the game.

I don't recall Dorsey being a bumbling idiot. Most everyone was impressed by him too...at least until he was fired.

ModSocks
03-28-2018, 10:53 AM
The best part of this interview: "We're going to put an exciting product out there"

Yes, motherfucker. Yes. Football is entertainment. Win or lose, make it exciting. You make it exciting by fielding electric, talented players with personality.

ENTERTAIN ME!

O.city
03-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Really wish Wilkerson would have signed here.

BigRedChief
03-28-2018, 11:05 AM
except for suttonas much as l hate Sutton, Reid thought it was a player issue or at least find out if it’s a player issue. He’s the head coach, he deserves to chose his own coaches.

For those who want to get rid of Reid, right now he is the most desirable coach in the NFL not named Belicheck for a reason.

Simply Red
03-28-2018, 11:16 AM

isn't he streaky?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Eric Reid, please.

UChieffyBugger
03-28-2018, 11:24 AM
as much as l hate Sutton, Reid thought it was a player issue or at least find out if it’s a player issue. He’s the head coach, he deserves to chose his own coaches.

For those who want to get rid of Reid, right now he is the most desirable coach in the NFL not named Belicheck for a reason.

The problem is they may have thought it was a "player problem" but they've not really tried to address It In FA as of yet. Which is strange tbh.

Flying High D
03-28-2018, 11:32 AM
He was unnoticed because when he arrived - Black Jesus departed.

Eric Reid, please.

Unfortunately the GM seems to place a high value on virtues. Who knew?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately the GM seems to place a high value on virtues. Who knew?

Hate to be the guy that says, "but Tyreek," but why wasn't he traded?

Gravedigger
03-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Maybe we can trade for that Marcus Peters fella outta Los Angeles. He could help our D.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-28-2018, 12:28 PM

You sure like players that don't give much effort. ..

O.city
03-28-2018, 12:30 PM
You sure like players that don't give much effort. ..

If you mean good players, then yes.

BigCatDaddy
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM
The best part of this interview: "We're going to put an exciting product out there"

Yes, mother****er. Yes. Football is entertainment. Win or lose, make it exciting. You make it exciting by fielding electric, talented players with personality.

ENTERTAIN ME!

It is going to be damn fun to watch this team for once.

okie-dokie
03-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Go Veach!

The Franchise
03-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Eric Reid, please.

Fuck yes.

ModSocks
03-28-2018, 12:45 PM
**** yes.

I was a fan of his coming out of college, but hasn't he been pretty inconsistent as a pro?

I feel like i read somewhere that he was a disapointment.

Regardless, i'll take him.

ModSocks
03-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Good read by Jason La Canfora:

Safeties aren't getting paid this offseason, and Eric Reid could be a big reason why

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/safeties-arent-getting-paid-this-offseason-and-eric-reid-could-be-a-big-reason-why/

By and large, free agency in the NFL played out this month in the exact opposite manner of how it transpired in baseball. Teams with abundant cap space dove into the deep end of the financial pool before the markets even officially opened at the start of the league year, and dozens of marginal players received handsome compensation. Within days, the top talent was off the market.

Well, except for the safety position. Things look a lot more like Major League Baseball in terms of the way the market has unfolded, or, frankly, failed to unfold. This offseason in MLB was about a slow, patience-testing waiting game between teams and free agents, with long-term deals difficult to come by, with the market far softer than we had seen in recent years and with elite players going far into spring training without a new team. Words like collusion were tossed around here and there, and the MLBPA and agent community believed something fishy might be going on.

And some of that same sort of chatter is going around in football circles, but on a far more position-specific basis. Agents for quality safeties -- guys who have been productive and healthy for the most part and who aren't at the end of their careers -- are getting beyond frustrated at the stagnant market, with salaries in a holding pattern at best. Several have reached out to the NFLPA to vent, I'm told, and are casting a jaundiced eye at NFL teams who seem to have strikingly similar financial evaluations on their players.

Bottom line is that at a time when the passing game is all the rage and middling quarterbacks along with receivers and corners are reaping massive contracts, safeties are having a difficult time getting legit offers, much less making a buck.

It's pretty bizarre. Even guys who can make plays on the ball are being largely shut out or limited to no-frills negotiations at a time when even running backs and two-down inside linebackers have gotten paid. There has been almost no movement at this position, and guys like Eric Reid (age 26), Kenny Vaccaro (27), Tre Boston (25), and Ron Parker (30) all still trying to find work, to say nothing of a group of older veterans who have still performed at a high level in recent years, like Corey Graham, Darius Butler and Reggie Nelson.

"We're barely even getting phone calls, and we're not the only ones," said one agent who is involved in the safety market. "You can't even get (BS) offers. We're literally getting nothing. I'm not even talking one year, $3 million. Nothing. And it's not just us."

Indeed, league sources indicated that several of the best remaining safeties on the market have been in communication with one another, sharing their experiences and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Parker, Vaccaro, Reid and others have spoken about the fact that they can't seem to find a market, with different theories being espoused as to why. Going back to the combine it seems teams were taking a hardline stance on around $5 million to $7 million per year on safeties, and no one was getting close to what they had originally hoped for. The safety who did the best, actually, didn't do a thing, as the Rams placed the franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner, which will earn him more than $11 million in 2018.

Kurt Coleman got a deal quickly with New Orleans after he was cut by Carolina last month -- he didn't have to wait for the league year to open to officially sign -- but that three-year, $16 million was an outlier. Morgan Burnett had aimed for $10 million and couldn't get $5 million per year on a three-year deal with the Steelers. Tyrann Mathieu had hoped to reach around that figure as well when he turned down an offer to stay in Arizona on a reduced salary and ended up getting from the Texas $7 million on just a one-year deal, roughly half of what he was set to make originally in 2018.

That $7 million figure is the highest annual value for a safety this offseason, with 45 players at other positions bettering it on the open market, while 44 non-safeties got deals worth more than Coleman's max value. Only two safeties got over $5 million per year thus far at a time when receivers like Donte Moncrief are getting double that.

There are a few mitigating circumstances. Reid is a former first-round pick who has played well enough to warrant a contract, whether back with the 49ers or elsewhere, but as one of the more prominent players to have joined Colin Kaepernick in his peaceful pre-game demonstrations in San Francisco, this was always going to be a tricky market for him. Trust me, Kaepernick's legal team is watching Reid's situation very closely as it may possibly pertain to their ongoing collusion grievance against the NFL, and if Reid, too, is systematically ignored by needy teams, it will certainly raise more probing questions as to how much of this is really about football. Reid reportedly told ESPN that he does not plan to protest during the national anthem in 2018.

Agents for other safeties believe that teams may be ignoring much of the entire position group -- and other younger safeties overall -- as a means of not just singling Reid out, himself. It may not be as obvious that Reid is blackballed if there are a handful of similar players who can nary get a phone call from a team with stated interest in them, and if all anyone seems to be willing to pay, hypothetically, is around $4 million per year. At various times this offseason clubs like the Packers, Browns, Bucs and Cowboys have been sniffing around on safeties, and, boy, there are still plenty of them to choose from. Twenty-five remain on the market as we speak.

"It feels like, with Eric Reid in the market, and teams not wanting to touch him, that a lot of other safeties are also being held down," the agent said. "Instead of anybody getting $8 million to $9 million per year, no one is getting it."

Perhaps this market will open up some next week with all owners, coaches and general managers huddled together in Orlando at the annual spring meeting. There is also the specter of a potential trade for Seattle All-Pro Earl Thomas -- the best safety in the game, when healthy -- that could be somewhat hampering the free agent market. Thomas is available (the initial asking price was high: a first- and third-round pick) and the Seahawks have engaged with several teams about him, and Thomas wants a healthy new deal wherever he goes, I'm told.

So perhaps a few teams are holding out for him, and keeping that cash and cap aside for Thomas should they land him. But it's pretty clear that an abundance of options remains at this one particular position group long after most others have been thoroughly picked through and cleaned out. All eyes will remain on Reid, and whether he meets the same free-agent reality that has befallen Kaepernick, and the conversations between these young safeties will continue as they wait and wonder if and when they'll get paid anything close to their originally expected market value.

BossChief
03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Safeties (and corners to a lesser extent) are getting less in free agency because this draft is STACKED at those positions and draft picks are super cheap.

There will be safeties available in the third round and maybe deeper that can/will start soon.

Teams will wait to sign FA safeties till after the draft.

Warrior5
03-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Eric Reid, please.

No, thank you.

In fact, hell no, thank you.

Flying High D
03-28-2018, 07:13 PM
“Reid reportedly told ESPN that he does not plan to protest during the national anthem in 2018.”

I’ll protest but when it hurts me pocket book me no more protest. You know what I be saying.

I guess whatever you were protesting didn’t mean as much as money does.

Chiefaholic
03-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Safeties (and corners to a lesser extent) are getting less in free agency because this draft is STACKED at those positions and draft picks are super cheap.

There will be safeties available in the third round and maybe deeper that can/will start soon.

Teams will wait to sign FA safeties till after the draft.

It's amazing that agents of these players can't seem to grasp this concept. These guys would be better off signing a one year deal in hope there's less draft prospects next season.

MotherfuckerJones
03-28-2018, 08:23 PM

Brett Veach has a good reputation for an eye on talent. Middlekauf said as much on one of his periscopes that he is one of the best.

MotherfuckerJones
03-28-2018, 08:25 PM
I don't recall Dorsey being a bumbling idiot. Most everyone was impressed by him too...at least until he was fired.

It was mainly about Dorsey and how he articulated to the media. Just got that sense from him.

Pitt Gorilla
03-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Thank goodness the Chiefs don't sign safeties to insane money deals.

Tombstone RJ
03-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Did Cheach say chiefs kingdom while licking a lollipop?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-28-2018, 09:02 PM

Your GM (Gary Busey) just drunk traded for a safety that wants to retire because he doesn't like contact....lulz

MotherfuckerJones
03-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Go fuck yourself with a Case Keesum bobblehead

hometeam
03-28-2018, 09:40 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/226/219/1325288886205.gif

BossChief
03-28-2018, 09:59 PM
It's amazing that agents of these players can't seem to grasp this concept. These guys would be better off signing a one year deal in hope there's less draft prospects next season.

That’s another reason teams acquiring these highly talented guys for one year are brilliant.

If it doesn’t work out, you move on with no ties after 1 year.

If it works out, you can re-sign the player or let him walk for premium comp picks.

The Rams are straight killing it at every level right now...they essentially get Talib and Suh on 1 year prove it deals and have nothing but upside and third round comp picks if they don’t want to re-sign them ...and Peters on a 2 year (if they pick up his 5th year option) and if Peters loses his mind, they can let him walk and collect a third rounder the following year.

Their whole maneuvering has been nothing short of brilliant.

UChieffyBugger
03-28-2018, 11:48 PM
That’s another reason teams acquiring these highly talented guys for one year are brilliant.

If it doesn’t work out, you move on with no ties after 1 year.

If it works out, you can re-sign the player or let him walk for premium comp picks.

The Rams are straight killing it at every level right now...they essentially get Talib and Suh on 1 year prove it deals and have nothing but upside and third round comp picks if they don’t want to re-sign them ...and Peters on a 2 year (if they pick up his 5th year option) and if Peters loses his mind, they can let him walk and collect a third rounder the following year.

Their whole maneuvering has been nothing short of brilliant.

The problem for them is all their "stars" are gonna need to get paid all at the same time. Goff, Gurley, Donald, Peters, Joyner etc. They will not be able to keep em all IMO so the Rams will find themselves In a hole within a year or two and compo draft picks ain't gonna replace that sort of production.

Buckweath
03-29-2018, 06:21 AM
It is clear for me that Veach needs to add a top CB, a decent safety and a good DL.

I would think he can trade up and get a top CB, he can possibly get a decent safety with a 3rd round pick but I don't know how he can get an impact DL with the picks at his disposal. Maybe a trade?

He could also get a decent FA safety and then have the picks to draft both a top CB and a good DL.

Chiefshrink
03-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Regardless of the outcome of play in these next 2 years, you surely won't be able to say Veach didn't try unlike the past for sure.:hmmm:

Chiefshrink
03-29-2018, 06:39 AM
The problem for them is all their "stars" are gonna need to get paid all at the same time. Goff, Gurley, Donald, Peters, Joyner etc. They will not be able to keep em all IMO so the Rams will find themselves In a hole within a year or two and compo draft picks ain't gonna replace that sort of production.

At this point they don't care about the future (3yrs down the road) they are all in NOW "on the temporary cheap" as BossChief said. If they can get a SB this coming season which is their goal they have done it "on the cheap". If they can squeeze out another in 19 which will be a little more expensive but not too much more then they have achieved their 2 yr SB run shopping at a discount rate.:shrug:

Chiefshrink
03-29-2018, 06:41 AM
It is clear for me that Veach needs to add a top CB, a decent safety and a good DL.

I would think he can trade up and get a top CB, he can possibly get a decent safety with a 3rd round pick but I don't know how he can get an impact DL with the picks at his disposal. Maybe a trade?

He could also get a decent FA safety and then have the picks to draft both a top CB and a good DL.

Draft will fulfill these needs. Which is why I am surprised the donkeys went after Cravens when the draft is deep in the secondary.:hmmm:

Beef Supreme
03-29-2018, 08:31 AM
The Raiders got older and slower in free agency. Chiefs got younger and faster.

wazu
03-29-2018, 08:40 AM
The Raiders got older and slower in free agency. Chiefs got younger and faster.

Jon Gruden is pulling together some football guys I’ll tell you what.

RealSNR
03-29-2018, 08:41 AM
That one dude compared the team to the 1812 Overture at the end.

That was really... dumb. Weird? No, just dumb, actually.

Lzen
03-29-2018, 08:41 AM
If you mean good players, then yes.

Chester McGlockton was good........when he wanted to give some effort. But he was also lazy and a team cancer.

wazu
03-29-2018, 08:44 AM

I might have to actually listen now just to see how this was done. Sounds like a bet or a dare. Like the “meow” game in Super Troopers.

Lzen
03-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Good read by Jason La Canfora:

Safeties aren't getting paid this offseason, and Eric Reid could be a big reason why

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/safeties-arent-getting-paid-this-offseason-and-eric-reid-could-be-a-big-reason-why/

By and large, free agency in the NFL played out this month in the exact opposite manner of how it transpired in baseball. Teams with abundant cap space dove into the deep end of the financial pool before the markets even officially opened at the start of the league year, and dozens of marginal players received handsome compensation. Within days, the top talent was off the market.

Well, except for the safety position. Things look a lot more like Major League Baseball in terms of the way the market has unfolded, or, frankly, failed to unfold. This offseason in MLB was about a slow, patience-testing waiting game between teams and free agents, with long-term deals difficult to come by, with the market far softer than we had seen in recent years and with elite players going far into spring training without a new team. Words like collusion were tossed around here and there, and the MLBPA and agent community believed something fishy might be going on.

And some of that same sort of chatter is going around in football circles, but on a far more position-specific basis. Agents for quality safeties -- guys who have been productive and healthy for the most part and who aren't at the end of their careers -- are getting beyond frustrated at the stagnant market, with salaries in a holding pattern at best. Several have reached out to the NFLPA to vent, I'm told, and are casting a jaundiced eye at NFL teams who seem to have strikingly similar financial evaluations on their players.

Bottom line is that at a time when the passing game is all the rage and middling quarterbacks along with receivers and corners are reaping massive contracts, safeties are having a difficult time getting legit offers, much less making a buck.

It's pretty bizarre. Even guys who can make plays on the ball are being largely shut out or limited to no-frills negotiations at a time when even running backs and two-down inside linebackers have gotten paid. There has been almost no movement at this position, and guys like Eric Reid (age 26), Kenny Vaccaro (27), Tre Boston (25), and Ron Parker (30) all still trying to find work, to say nothing of a group of older veterans who have still performed at a high level in recent years, like Corey Graham, Darius Butler and Reggie Nelson.

"We're barely even getting phone calls, and we're not the only ones," said one agent who is involved in the safety market. "You can't even get (BS) offers. We're literally getting nothing. I'm not even talking one year, $3 million. Nothing. And it's not just us."

Indeed, league sources indicated that several of the best remaining safeties on the market have been in communication with one another, sharing their experiences and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Parker, Vaccaro, Reid and others have spoken about the fact that they can't seem to find a market, with different theories being espoused as to why. Going back to the combine it seems teams were taking a hardline stance on around $5 million to $7 million per year on safeties, and no one was getting close to what they had originally hoped for. The safety who did the best, actually, didn't do a thing, as the Rams placed the franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner, which will earn him more than $11 million in 2018.

Kurt Coleman got a deal quickly with New Orleans after he was cut by Carolina last month -- he didn't have to wait for the league year to open to officially sign -- but that three-year, $16 million was an outlier. Morgan Burnett had aimed for $10 million and couldn't get $5 million per year on a three-year deal with the Steelers. Tyrann Mathieu had hoped to reach around that figure as well when he turned down an offer to stay in Arizona on a reduced salary and ended up getting from the Texas $7 million on just a one-year deal, roughly half of what he was set to make originally in 2018.

That $7 million figure is the highest annual value for a safety this offseason, with 45 players at other positions bettering it on the open market, while 44 non-safeties got deals worth more than Coleman's max value. Only two safeties got over $5 million per year thus far at a time when receivers like Donte Moncrief are getting double that.

There are a few mitigating circumstances. Reid is a former first-round pick who has played well enough to warrant a contract, whether back with the 49ers or elsewhere, but as one of the more prominent players to have joined Colin Kaepernick in his peaceful pre-game demonstrations in San Francisco, this was always going to be a tricky market for him. Trust me, Kaepernick's legal team is watching Reid's situation very closely as it may possibly pertain to their ongoing collusion grievance against the NFL, and if Reid, too, is systematically ignored by needy teams, it will certainly raise more probing questions as to how much of this is really about football. Reid reportedly told ESPN that he does not plan to protest during the national anthem in 2018.

Agents for other safeties believe that teams may be ignoring much of the entire position group -- and other younger safeties overall -- as a means of not just singling Reid out, himself. It may not be as obvious that Reid is blackballed if there are a handful of similar players who can nary get a phone call from a team with stated interest in them, and if all anyone seems to be willing to pay, hypothetically, is around $4 million per year. At various times this offseason clubs like the Packers, Browns, Bucs and Cowboys have been sniffing around on safeties, and, boy, there are still plenty of them to choose from. Twenty-five remain on the market as we speak.

"It feels like, with Eric Reid in the market, and teams not wanting to touch him, that a lot of other safeties are also being held down," the agent said. "Instead of anybody getting $8 million to $9 million per year, no one is getting it."

Perhaps this market will open up some next week with all owners, coaches and general managers huddled together in Orlando at the annual spring meeting. There is also the specter of a potential trade for Seattle All-Pro Earl Thomas -- the best safety in the game, when healthy -- that could be somewhat hampering the free agent market. Thomas is available (the initial asking price was high: a first- and third-round pick) and the Seahawks have engaged with several teams about him, and Thomas wants a healthy new deal wherever he goes, I'm told.

So perhaps a few teams are holding out for him, and keeping that cash and cap aside for Thomas should they land him. But it's pretty clear that an abundance of options remains at this one particular position group long after most others have been thoroughly picked through and cleaned out. All eyes will remain on Reid, and whether he meets the same free-agent reality that has befallen Kaepernick, and the conversations between these young safeties will continue as they wait and wonder if and when they'll get paid anything close to their originally expected market value.

What a bunch of nonsense.

O.city
03-29-2018, 08:51 AM
Those are actually some good players at safety though. We've seen certain markets gets pushed down a bit, but it's weird that no one is calling them.

Couch-Potato
03-29-2018, 09:03 AM
I have never cared, and still do not care at all, what a player does during the national anthem.

Simply Red
03-29-2018, 09:10 AM

he's my favorite!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VbxgYlcNxE8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
03-29-2018, 01:32 PM
There's aggressive scouting, and there's ridiculous.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Always fight for inside hand position. <a href="https://t.co/hlUcuKJrbX">pic.twitter.com/hlUcuKJrbX</a></p>&mdash; Jeremy Darveau (@CoachDarveau) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachDarveau/status/978986976971018241?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2018, 03:42 PM

:facepalm:

Chiefshrink
03-29-2018, 05:52 PM
as much as l hate Sutton, Reid thought it was a player issue or at least find out if it’s a player issue. He’s the head coach, he deserves to chose his own coaches.

Desirable and winning big need to go hand in hand then. Just saying.:shrug: