PDA

View Full Version : The age of draft picks?!!!

UChieffyBugger
04-09-2018, 02:36 AM
The Chiefs interviewed two prospects at the combine In Nathan Shepherd and Jordan Akins. Shepherd Is 25 and Akins, who has also just recently had a workout with the Chiefs, Is gonna be 26 before the draft starts. So the question Is how do yall feel about potentially drafting older rookies?

I'm not sure tbh. On one hand, If it's someone who Is decent and can fill a hole In a certain area of the field then I guess It's ok. But on the other hand, handing out a second contract could get messy.

The Chiefs seem to like Akins so it's gonna be interesting to see If that happens. A 26-year-old rookie though? I think I'd only be comfortable getting him with the 6th or 7th picks. Anything above that would be too much for me.

Hoover
04-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Unless they are a stud, I'd pass. Unless we are looking for a long snapper or something.

kccrow
04-09-2018, 09:52 AM
As a rule, I mean, you're looking at them as pretty much 2nd contract guys without any development yet. I don't know that I'd pull the trigger unless I got them really late. By the time you do develop them, they will be on the physical decline. I would make some consideration for offensive line, defensive line, and quarterback simply because those positions tend to have longevity into their mid 30's, but that's about it. That being said, I could live with an early day 3 pick of a guy like Shepherd. Would I spend a 2nd on him? No. I wouldn't touch Akins in the draft. UDFA? Sure, why not.

BossChief
04-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Andy Reid drafted a guard named Danny Watkins in the first round when he was already 26 years old.

Direckshun
04-09-2018, 11:06 AM
I would take Nathan Shepherd without a second look.

The age of thinking of players as decade-long prospects needs to end. In the vast majority of the NFL, teams regimes change too fast and too many players bust.

That doesn't hold for QBs or OL -- who, if they're talented, will almost certainly stay with their team for a decade. But every other position in the NFL can change too much from contract to contract. Players lose value in a hurry after they reach their prime, and front offices change too radically.

staylor26
04-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Andy Reid drafted a guard named Danny Watkins in the first round when he was already 26 years old.

And that is exactly why he needs a guy like Dorsey/Veach to be in charge of personnel. I don’t think either of those guys would let Andy make a mistake like that in KC. I know he obviously has say, but those days are over.

KCrockaholic
04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm ok with older rookies but not taking them until the 5th round at the earliest. Also, the expectation would be that they can come in and make an impact right away.

BossChief
04-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Elway took a 25 year old OT that is already showing signs of not being able to handle the position and doesn’t have the versatility to move anywhere else.

Oops.

O.city
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
If a guy is developed and ready to go, sure. They aren't likely to see a 2nd contract anyway.

But probably nah.