PDA

View Full Version : Life The Full Moon Effect

Otter
04-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Over the past couple months I've been doing some volunteer work in assisted living facilities across the area. It's a slow paced environment much of the time and most people don't tend to get very excited if you spend 15 minutes here and there conversing with others when they're not paying you a salary.

After speaking to many, many staff members at these residences I've run across a common denominator which I'd say around 95% of them agree upon: when a full moon is in the sky the residents, especially those with a lower metal ability, tend to become 'wild'.

Since I've encountered this topic I've managed to work it into conversations with people outside the care field. One of them is a local police officer. The officer swore up and down that impaired and dull people tend to cause more trouble on full moons.

I've always thought the full moon theory was an old wives' tale but after speaking with personnel who deal with a different subset of society than I'm used to I'm beginning to think there's something behind a full moon and its effect on people.

First hand experience? Thoughts? Stories? Theories? Let 'er rip!

On a side note: if you're a single man, volunteering in an assisted living home is a GREAT way to meet single women. I wish I knew this in college. You're welcome.

Halfcan
04-11-2018, 08:40 AM
ly·can·thro·py
līˈkanTHrəpē/

the supernatural transformation of a person into a wolf, as recounted in folk tales.
archaic

a form of madness involving the delusion of being an animal, usually a wolf, with correspondingly altered behavior.

Fish
04-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Silly myth that has existed for thousands of years. But there's really no difference between a full moon and a new moon, other than the amount of light reflected.

First, the gravitational effects of the moon are far too minuscule to generate any meaningful effects on brain activity, let alone behavior. As the late astronomer George Abell of the University of California, Los Angeles, noted, a mosquito sitting on our arm exerts a more powerful gravitational pull on us than the moon does. Yet to the best of our knowledge, there have been no reports of a “mosquito lunacy effect.” Second, the moon’s gravitational force affects only open bodies of water, such as oceans and lakes, but not contained sources of water, such as the human brain. Third, the gravitational effect of the moon is just as potent during new moons—when the moon is invisible to us—as it is during full moons.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lunacy-and-the-full-moon/

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Dentally speaking, I have found this strange phenomenon to be mostly true.

Loneiguana
04-11-2018, 08:58 AM
I know some of those in the Child Abuse and Neglect investigative field dread the nights of a full moon for that reason.

Isn't the origin of lunatic from luna?

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Scientifically speaking, this phenomenon is a myth. But real world experience says different.

wazu
04-11-2018, 09:02 AM
There are subtle emotional cues that weather and environment provide. When I step outside on a night that is brightly lit by the moon, I feel mildly energized by it. Maybe this effect is magnified by how dumb a person is.

Fish
04-11-2018, 09:06 AM
There are subtle emotional queues that weather and environment provide. When I step outside on a night that is brightly lit by the moon, I feel mildly energized by it. Maybe this effect is magnified by how dumb a person is.

LMAO... now you might be on to something...

Otter
04-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Silly myth that has existed for thousands of years. But there's really no difference between a full moon and a new moon, other than the amount of light reflected.

Would have agreed with you hands down (not sure where that expression comes from) before talking to personal who deal with people who it seems to effect most but now I'm not so sure.

I'm not exactly a conspiracy, myth guy either. If you know any police officers, caregivers, etc ask them about it.

Otter
04-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Article from the National Center for Biology Information. Full details on website:

LINK (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1444800/)

The incidence of crimes reported to three police stations in different towns (one rural, one urban, one industrial) was studied to see if it varied with the day of the lunar cycle. The period of the study covered 1978-82. The incidence of crimes committed on full moon days was much higher than on all other days, new moon days, and seventh days after the full moon and new moon. A small peak in the incidence of crimes was observed on new moon days, but this was not significant when compared with crimes committed on other days. The incidence of crimes on equinox and solstice days did not differ significantly from those on other days, suggesting that the sun probably does not influence the incidence of crime. The increased incidence of crimes on full moon days may be due to "human tidal waves" caused by the gravitational pull of the moon.

Halfcan
04-11-2018, 09:31 AM
I know some of those in the Child Abuse and Neglect investigative field dread the nights of a full moon for that reason.

Isn't the origin of lunatic from loneiguana?

:hmmm:

Definite possibility. :)

displacedinMN
04-11-2018, 09:33 AM
I believe it. It's true. Along with changes in behavior and barometer changes.

Posted this on a weather forum.

The kids started getting restless and unfocused about 11:00 yesterday. So I looked at the barometer (or as I call it- the student behavior meter :lol:) and sure enough it had started to drop. By 1pm, it was dropping rapidly and my students were losing focus fast. I walked into the hall and it was madness. Very loud, kids running and a buzz about the building. Another teacher walked by and said "What is going on? My classes are crazy and the halls are nuts!!" (barometer)

Today-the same thing. My first period was very restless and unfocused. I would stop talking for 5 seconds and they were gone. It was very surprising since I have the advanced classes-but they are still 8th graders at heart. Second period not as bad after I read them the riot act.

Halls were crazy. Other teachers commented that their kids were very restless today. ISS was FULL- so many kids were being booted from class.

My own kids were not saved. They talk, but it was like listening to 2 chipmunks on the way home from school. Kids are girls 10 and 6.
The ten year old seemed to have lost all common sense and practical thought. The six year old was very jumpy and hyper.

After dealing with this all day-I am stressed, grumpy and tired. I try to handle it, but it takes a toll on me too.

The chart attached shows the dates, time and barometer change. The circled section was yesterday-falling rapidly from 30.35 to 30.18
in 4.5 hours. My station called it falling rapidly.
Since then there has been a constant free fall as the warm front moves in along with a weak low pressure.

Last year- I would take daily data on barometer changes, fronts, moon phases etc. and compare it to office referrals and general behavior in the classroom. Unofficially, I came to the conclusion that changes in barometer makes the kids unfocused and restless. Almost to the point where I could tell the drop in barometer BEFORE I looked at the charts.

Halfcan
04-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Scientifically speaking, this phenomenon is a myth. But real world experience says different.

I prefer to kill hookers when there is Harvest moon, I like the way the blood shines- but that is just my preference. To each their own I suppose.

dlphg9
04-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Used to work in a hospita for 7 years. It's true.

Spott
04-11-2018, 09:48 AM
I started listening to Slayer at an early age in an effort to strengthen my metal ability.

LOCOChief
04-11-2018, 10:12 AM
It wouldn't surprise me, the oceans are effected by the moon. The tides rise and fall with it and every creature that lives in the ocean lives by it. If you hunt or fish you pay close attention to it because your preys habits and patterns change with it. If it affects all living creatures why not man?

redfan
04-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Yeah, it's true. Ask any cop, hospital or school employee.

Fish
04-11-2018, 10:25 AM
People have been blaming bad behavior on invisible shit since the beginning of time. Anecdotes are always available because confirmation bias is a powerful thing. Some people get weirded out about looking at a clock at 11:11. Like it's significant because they keep noticing it. But it's just a phenomenon called apophenia. It's the brain doing everything it can to find pattern out of chaos. In this case, everyone has heard of the moon affecting things. Then when something odd happens that would normally be considered random, the brain seeks to assign a pattern or meaning to it and has a handy excuse already because of the persistence of the myth. The brain does some weird things that make us believe weird things.

threebag
04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Over the past couple months I've been doing some volunteer work in assisted living facilities across the area. It's a slow paced environment much of the time and most people don't tend to get very excited if you spend 15 minutes here and there conversing with others when they're not paying you a salary.

After speaking to many, many staff members at these residences I've run across a common denominator which I'd say around 95% of them agree upon: when a full moon is in the sky the residents, especially those with a lower metal ability, tend to become 'wild'.

Since I've encountered this topic I've managed to work it into conversations with people outside the care field. One of them is a local police officer. The officer swore up and down that impaired and dull people tend to cause more trouble on full moons.

I've always thought the full moon theory was an old wives' tale but after speaking with personnel who deal with a different subset of society than I'm used to I'm beginning to think there's something behind a full moon and its effect on people.

On a side note: if you're a single man, volunteering in an assisted living home is a GREAT way to meet single women. I wish I knew this in college. You're welcome.

The facilities around here are packed with fat chicks. I did some Auto work for Easter Seals and I don't think I would ride that moped.

eDave
04-11-2018, 10:43 AM
I always look for it within myself when the moon is full. I never feel any different.

threebag
04-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Are you "feeling" all the right places eDave? Maybe Lewdog howls at the moon?

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 10:45 AM
The facilities around here are packed with fat chicks. I did some Auto work for Easter Seals and I don't think I would ride that moped.

No one wants to meet fat chicks.

Otter
04-11-2018, 10:53 AM
People have been blaming bad behavior on invisible shit since the beginning of time. Anecdotes are always available because confirmation bias is a powerful thing. Some people get weirded out about looking at a clock at 11:11. Like it's significant because they keep noticing it. But it's just a phenomenon called apophenia. It's the brain doing everything it can to find pattern out of chaos. In this case, everyone has heard of the moon affecting things. Then when something odd happens that would normally be considered random, the brain seeks to assign a pattern or meaning to it and has a handy excuse already because of the persistence of the myth. The brain does some weird things that make us believe weird things.

FULL ARTICLE LINK (https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/tag/crime-rate/)

Conclusion

What to Take Away

It looks like there is no conclusive proof that the moon makes you act differently, but the data in the two studies above are consistent with that hypothesis. In both studies, statistically significant differences, with p<.01, were found in crime rates on full moon nights compared with regular nights. This leads me to believe that regardless of whether the behavior is caused by the full moon, appropriate precautions should be taken by law enforcement on those nights. Does the moon alter your behavior? Possibly. Do we have irrefutable evidence? Not even close.

As I mentioned earlier I find the correlation between a full moon and primitive behavior to be along the lines of folklore. However, it seems to be too widely believed among people who deal with the subset of society mentioned above to be cast off as myth.

threebag
04-11-2018, 11:07 AM
No one wants to meat fat chicks.

Amen, brother...

eDave
04-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Are you "feeling" all the right places eDave? Maybe Lewdog howls at the moon?

You never got piss drunk and howled at the moon? Good therapy.

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Did we decide anything?

eDave
04-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Did we decide anything?

A nice clear, early crescent moon is the most badass of moons.

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Echo and the Bunnymen sing about the moon.

eDave
04-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Echo and the Bunnymen sing about the moon.

Nice. Such a great tune. Might as well fill this thread up with "moon" videos:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LWz0JC7afNQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 11:26 AM
In starlit nights I saw you
So cruelly you kissed me
Your lips a magic world
Your sky all hung with jewels
The killing moon
Will come too soon

BlackHelicopters
04-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Trump listens to this over and over:

Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine

Pitt Gorilla
04-11-2018, 11:50 AM

On a side note: if you're a single man, volunteering in an assisted living home is a GREAT way to meet single women. I wish I knew this in college. You're welcome.Is this because they simply are not allowed to leave or due to their lower cognitive ability?

Otter
04-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Is this because they simply are not allowed to leave or due to their lower cognitive ability?

The staff you perverts. :D

Surprised it took that long now that I look back on that sentence.

tmax63
04-11-2018, 12:00 PM
My father was a firm believer in doing farm things according to the "sign" and after working in hospitals for 30 years I believe in the full moon mania.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Fish bite the best on the 2nd and 3rd day following a full moon. Fact.

RippedmyFlesh
04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Would have agreed with you hands down (not sure where that expression comes from) before talking to personal who deal with people who it seems to effect most but now I'm not so sure.

I'm not exactly a conspiracy, myth guy either. If you know any police officers, caregivers, etc ask them about it.

Or people who work in the ER.

displacedinMN
04-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Fish bite the best on the 2nd and 3rd day following a full moon. Fact.

What about before a storm?

oldman
04-11-2018, 03:26 PM
My wife was a psych RN for over 40 years and swore this was true. She worked with teens, adults, and seniors and said it didn't matter what age, they all got crazier on a full moon.

B_Ambuehl
04-11-2018, 03:49 PM
There is research indicating it affects dogs quite strongly. Visits to animal hospitals statistically pick up noticeably during full moons.

ClevelandBronco
04-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Might be demonstrably bullshit, but it seems to hold true in the addiction/recovery world.

Fish
04-11-2018, 05:02 PM
FULL ARTICLE LINK (https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/tag/crime-rate/)

As I mentioned earlier I find the correlation between a full moon and primitive behavior to be along the lines of folklore. However, it seems to be too widely believed among people who deal with the subset of society mentioned above to be cast off as myth.

OK, if you want to really look at the scientific studies done on this topic, please refer to this link: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/moon.html

This is a huge collection of peer-reviewed scientific studies done on lunar effects broken down in a wide variety of areas. There are links to each study, along with a quick summation of the results. Take a look at the list and see for yourself. Countless people have stated "Just ask any hospital worker....." Well, here's about 50+ different studies on correlation between the full moon and Emergency Room Calls/Emergency Room Visits/Hospital Admissions alone. Take a look at those results. They clearly dispute the anecdotes by a dramatic margin.

Several researchers point out one likely answer: When strange things happen at full moon, people notice the "coincidental" big bright orb in the sky and wonder. When strange things happen during the rest of the month, well, they're just considered strange, and people don't tie them to celestial events.

"If police and doctors are expecting that full moon nights will be more hectic, they may interpret an ordinary night's traumas and crises as more extreme than usual, our expectations influence our perceptions, and we look for evidence that confirms our beliefs."

Easy 6
04-11-2018, 05:16 PM
I always feel froggy on a full moon

My quasi-scientific theory is that a full moon affects tides even more than normal, and since the human body is 60% water... it stirs things around in us more than usual

Halfcan
04-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Bark at the Moon
Ozzy Osbourne

Screams break the silence
Waking from the dead of night
Vengeance is boiling
He's returned to kill the light
Then when he's found who he's looking for
Listen in awe and you'll hear him
Bark at the moon
Years spent in torment