PDA

View Full Version : Terez Paylor’s first mock...with a surprise!

RunKC
04-14-2018, 08:15 PM
2. Mike Gesicki TE Penn St
3. Donte Jackson CB LSU
3. Kemoko Turay OLB Rutgers
4. Mason Cole C Michigan
4. Kendrick Norton DL Miami
6. Dmitri Flowers FB OU
7. Foye Oluokun ILB/S Yale
7. Christian Campbell CB Penn St

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article208933339.html

KChiefs1
04-14-2018, 08:30 PM
I love the Fanspeak site.

Who’s left when the Chiefs pick will be interesting.
Gesicki is gone in most of mine.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/181a059ed9391cb3242036eac551eb40.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/cc42e027e54b7cab10228896e8da6b30.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/59fd4da1744e875c91480da37d3605b8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/63e2168ee0ef69d8edb007f48c004698.jpg

staylor26
04-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Yea TE in the 2nd would be a bit of a luxury pick, but the 4 after it are so good I’d be very happy with that draft on paper.

I guess Terez thinks safety isn’t high on the priority list though. I wonder if he thinks they’re high on McQuay and/or feel Murray will make a huge jump.

Looking at his explanations though, he passed on Isaiah Oliver and Rodney Harrison for Gesicki. I definitely wouldn’t do that.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Yea TE in the 2nd would be a bit of a luxury pick, but the 4 after it are so good I’d be very happy with that draft on paper.

I guess Terez thinks safety isn’t high on the priority list though. I wonder if he thinks they’re high on McQuay and/or feel Murray will make a huge jump.

Looking at his explanations though, he passed on Isaiah Oliver and Rodney Harrison for Gesicki. I definitely wouldn’t do that.

Yeah I wouldn’t either. Gesicki would be a very nice luxury but he’s your 5th option in the offense at best.

Harrison and Oliver are day one starters, and possibly difference makers soon after.

RunKC
04-14-2018, 10:14 PM
All of Terez’s first 3 picks go earlier than we could pick IMO. Plus I think Gisecki as our first pick would be problematic aka too many high end weapons with no defense.

But I did tell you motherfuckers that TE could be picked first as Terez mentioned a month ago.

I really think Mark Andrews could be there for us in rd 3 though. I think his diabetes and total lack of blocking will drop him down the board.

RealSNR
04-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Gesicki doesn't really block well, either. The real things we need a 2nd TE for still wouldn't get solved.

I love Gesicki. Very Travis Kelce-like in the way he runs routes. But not now. Not with our 2nd round pick. Trade down if there's nothing you like.

Bowser
04-14-2018, 10:54 PM
I'm just impressed he didn't mock us a wider receiver. Literally every other mock I've seen has us taking one somewhere. Why? We have WAY bigger needs than a WR from this draft, and no luxury picks. So props to him for that, at least.

The Franchise
04-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Gesicki doesn't really block well, either. The real things we need a 2nd TE for still wouldn't get solved.

I love Gesicki. Very Travis Kelce-like in the way he runs routes. But not now. Not with our 2nd round pick. Trade down if there's nothing you like.

This. It’s CB or S in the 2nd for me.

Chief Northman
04-15-2018, 12:34 AM
I'm just impressed he didn't mock us a wider receiver. Literally every other mock I've seen has us taking one somewhere. Why? We have WAY bigger needs than a WR from this draft, and no luxury picks. So props to him for that, at least.

Why?

Maybe because DAT and Nelson Spruce are the only guys that resemble a slot receiver? Robinson, Conley and Chesson have to play outside, or be cut/traded. Finding a good slot receiver is arguably more important that TE2 right now.

Harris, Charles, Amaro, and the guy they signed a couple days ago...
Not saying a TE will not be drafted, but we will employ 3 receiver sets more often than 2TE passing sets...

Chargem
04-15-2018, 03:00 AM

I reckon a lot of the mocks that have the Chiefs taking a WR are from people who don't follow all the moves of the Chiefs, so haven't seen the Braverman Spruce etc pick ups.

RunKC
04-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Even though I wouldn’t like taking an offensive player first due to too many resources in one box, I’m with Terez here. There’s no way Isaiah Oliver or Ronnie Harrison are better football players than Mike Gesicki IMO.

Gesicki’s athletic ability alone is insane. It’s significantly better than even Kelce and he’s a smooth pass catcher. I think it’s “need” to take the other defensive players over him.

I highly doubt the guy is anywhere close t us anyway. I would be shocked if Gesicki fell past 40.

staylor26
04-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Even though I wouldn’t like taking an offensive player first due to too many resources in one box, I’m with Terez here. There’s no way Isaiah Oliver or Ronnie Harrison are better football players than Mike Gesicki IMO.

Gesicki’s athletic ability alone is insane. It’s significantly better than even Kelce and he’s a smooth pass catcher. I think it’s “need” to take the other defensive players over him.

I highly doubt the guy is anywhere close t us anyway. I would be shocked if Gesicki fell past 40.

I disagree. Oliver and Harrison would be great values at 54, and they are not that far off from Gesicki, if at all. Gesicki isn’t a good blocker and would be the 5th option in this offense, while Oliver and Harrison are day 1 starters. It’s not drafting based solely on need, because that implies it’s a reach and not good value. It’s BPA at a position of need, which is ideal.

O.city
04-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Gesicki would be tough to pass over. Those 3 tight end sets would be fucking unstoppable.

But they need young defense

RunKC
04-15-2018, 10:19 AM
I disagree. Oliver and Harrison would be great values at 54, and they are not that far off from Gesicki, if at all. Gesicki isn’t a good blocker and would be the 5th option in this offense, while Oliver and Harrison are day 1 starters. It’s not drafting based solely on need, because that implies it’s a reach and not good value. It’s BPA at a position of need, which is ideal.

I think there are guys like Isaiah Oliver and Ronnie Harrison nearly every year. This draft is actually stacked with very good value at those positions.

When was the last time a TE this big had this good of athleticism? Vernon Davis?
Gesicki is way more athletic than both Kelce and Ertz.

I get the defense is a need, but if the board falls that way, one would think you take the prospect that doesn’t come around often.

Either way, I think the guy is going first rd. I don’t see any way Gesicki is anywhere near 54.

KChiefs1
04-15-2018, 10:23 AM

I’d take Cantrell or Coutee on the 3rd day.

Easy 6
04-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Not a fan of going TE with our first pick, at all

O.city
04-15-2018, 11:20 AM
In shorts gesiki is more athletic than Kelce

I’m not sure he’s quite the football player

O.city
04-15-2018, 11:24 AM
I believe what runkc is getting at is that there is t likely to be a prospect as good at their position as this dude would be at tight end.

It’s pure bpa and I’m not exactly a fan but it makes sense

Bowser
04-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Why?

Maybe because DAT and Nelson Spruce are the only guys that resemble a slot receiver? Robinson, Conley and Chesson have to play outside, or be cut/traded. Finding a good slot receiver is arguably more important that TE2 right now.

Harris, Charles, Amaro, and the guy they signed a couple days ago...
Not saying a TE will not be drafted, but we will employ 3 receiver sets more often than 2TE passing sets...

Meh. I think the guys we have now are versatile enough to play the slot without us making finding one in this draft a priority, especially considering our defensive needs and relative lack of picks.

O.city
04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
If Conley is healthy and back to his form, play him outside and put tryreek in the a lot
Hell Kelce is basically a slot wr anyway

kccrow
04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Oliver is one hell of a corner with pro-ready technique that's hard to teach. I saw one NFLN guy put him at 18 to the Seahawks (Bucky maybe?) and several put him in late 1. I wouldn't group Oliver in there. As for Harrison, I'm never as impressed with Alabama DBs as others, and I think his value is somewhere in the mid-2nd. Gesicki isn't getting the kind of love from anyone that I've seen Oliver get at times, although I think he's going in late 1 to New England as the heir to Gronk.

All that said, I'd be very happy with Gesicki as the pick. I don't find it to be overly realistic that he'd be the pick, but he's super-talented and Reid would find ways to get more 2 TE sets on the field.

MotherfuckerJones
04-15-2018, 12:03 PM
I wouldn’t hate the Gesicki pick because Kelce and him would shred defenses. It’s a luxury pick for sure. I’m not sure I’d pass on one of the top corners if they’re there though

Titty Meat
04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
If Gesicki is the best player on your board you take him. Never understood drafting for need in the early rounds especially with this team which is transitioning.

Chiefpanther
04-15-2018, 03:43 PM
I’m an Anthony Sherman fan but dimitri Flowers would be a nice upgrade he is a great receiving threat out of the backfield

The Franchise
04-15-2018, 05:58 PM
If Gesicki is the best player on your board you take him. Never understood drafting for need in the early rounds especially with this team which is transitioning.

And if the best player on your board is a QB at 54?

Chief Northman
04-15-2018, 06:03 PM
You have to factor in snap counts here too. How much will Gesicki actually line up in a Mahomes-led attack which will feature a lot of spread/single back and empty sets? The guy won’t be a key cog on specials as he is not a blocker.
Makes no sense. Corner, DL, Safety and even OL make more sense because you can argue each of those positions are in need of starters there.

Bowser
04-15-2018, 06:09 PM

But wouldn't that be exactly WHY you would draft for need if the team is transitioning?

Titty Meat
04-15-2018, 06:33 PM
And if the best player on your board is a QB at 54?

Now now.

Titty Meat
04-15-2018, 06:38 PM
But wouldn't that be exactly WHY you would draft for need if the team is transitioning?

Not really. Surround the new QB with talent, get ahead a few scores and play Sutton ball.

Chief Northman
04-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Not really. Surround the new QB with talent, get ahead a few scores and play Sutton ball.

What is this Sutton Ball you speak of?

Blowing leads? Swiss cheese run defense? Multiple Dee Ford offsides? Elite pass rushers dropping into coverage? Never asking your best corners to match up?

Titty Meat
04-15-2018, 07:16 PM
What is this Sutton Ball you speak of?

Blowing leads? Swiss cheese run defense? Multiple Dee Ford offsides? Elite pass rushers dropping into coverage? Never asking your best corners to match up?

Lot of bend but don't break hoping to get a 2 score lead with this explosive offense and letting Houston, Ford and Tanoh rush the QB.

Coogs
04-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Second version:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article209519589.html

KChiefs1
04-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Second version:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article209519589.html

I like Shepherd but not at 54.

I don’t think a 25-year-old rookie project who won’t make an impact this year is what the Chiefs need this season. I want this pick to be a starter.

I’ll pass.

Chief Northman
04-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Terez better stick to reporting because he sure as shit cannot project a draft class.

The only two picks I can get on board with are Okoronkwo in the 3rd and Neal in the 6th.
Shepherd at 54 is a joke. He is over-aged, played at a small school, and nobody exactly knows what he is: 1 tech? 3 tech? 5 tech? - People complained about Tanoh being a project, well, Shepherd is arguably more of one and he is already significantly older. You do not spend your most valuable pick on that.

Cappa in the 3rd? LOL. Try the 5th or 6th round. Cappa struggled at the Sr. Bowl and does not fit the “profile” of linemen the Chiefs have accrued in the past. 6’7” and under 305 lbs.
Durham Smythe is one of the better blocking TE’s in this class, but you do not get a lot of athleticism or playmaking threats out of him - there are better TEs than Smythe with more upside in this range.
DJ Reed? Do we need another midget at corner? We need a corner who will be a starter, not depth.
The Chiefs have shown interest in Murphy, but he can be had as an UDFA, though if the Chiefs wan’t no competition for him I suppose they could select him.

I like Paylor’s reporting and he knows football, but this attempt seems lazy.

Bewbies
04-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Terez is the best. Wtf is this shit?

KChiefs1
04-27-2018, 06:27 AM
Terez’s 2nd day picks for the Chiefs.

EDGE Lorenzo Carter, Georgia (54th overall):
There's a healthy chance general manager Brett Veach trades up from here. Veach is aggressive about moving around and getting what he wants, particularly if an elite defensive lineman, cornerback or interior offensive lineman (and yes, I love guard Will Hernandez and centers James Daniels, Billy Price and Frank Ragnow) all fall into the early second round.

But for the sake of our sanity, let's just say all the top-notch players at the above positions of need go early and the Chiefs are forced to stay put. In this Fanspeak mock, Carter is still on the board, and Chiefs fans worried about the pass rush can breathe a slight sigh of relief. Carter needs to be coached up, but he has freaky athleticism and could blossom into an excellent edge rusher. He also provides insurance in case Justin Houston or Dee Ford get hurt or Tanoh Kpassagnon isn't quite ready to contribute yet.

Other positions I could see the Chiefs attacking in this round are interior offensive line — center or guard — defensive line, cornerback and maybe even safety. If a stud offensive player falls, like tight end Mike Gesicki, he could be in play, too.

DT P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State (78th overall):
There's been some scuttlebutt in the league recently about Michigan defensive tackle Maurice Hurst falling to the fourth round or later due to a heart condition. Provided that's true, he might still be on the board at this point. And if he is there, and the Chiefs are confident it can be managed — just like it was with Star Lotulelei, who has a similar issue and has been productive for a long time — Hurst is a plug-and-play type who will contribute immediately. He would be outstanding value here.

If he's not here, however, Hall — or perhaps Tim Settle of Virginia Tech, if available — would not be a bad consolation prize. He's short (6-1, 310) and he played at a small school, but his athleticism is off the charts, and he was super-productive.

S Tarvarius Moore, Southern Mississippi (86th overall):
With most of the offensive linemen I like off the board, the Chiefs can look to improve their secondary. Moore (6-2, 190) has tremendous size and blazing 4.32 speed, and by his second year in the league, he could be a nice, rangy complement to team leader Eric Berry in the Chiefs' defensive backfield.

Mecca
04-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Terez really sucks at the draft...he said Lamar Jackson would be better for the Chiefs offense than Patrick Mahomes.

raybec 4
04-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Terez really sucks at the draft...he said Lamar Jackson would be better for the Chiefs offense than Patrick Mahomes.

When did he say that?

Mecca
04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
When did he say that?

On 610 they replayed it about 15 times so they could make fun of him on each show that day.