PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Andy Reid thinks Defense is ready

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/16/andy-reid-thinks-chiefs-could-start-season-right-now/

By: Wesley Roesch | 21 hours ago

Chiefs coach Andy Reid seems to be much more confident in his defense than the fans are right now.

Many folks believe Kansas City needs to focus on defense in the 2018 draft, filling holes like safety, cornerback and defensive line. It doesn’t appear that Reid agrees.

During Monday’s presser, Reid said that he thinks the Chiefs could step in and play right now. He doesn’t think the Chiefs have many holes to fill in the draft so they can select the best player available instead.

BJ Kissel

@ChiefsReporter
Andy Reid says he believes the #Chiefs are one of the few teams that could step out and play right now. Don't need to fix "holes" in draft. Basically, can take the best player regardless of position.

Terez A. Paylor

@TerezPaylor
Reid on what the Chiefs learned about their 2017 defensive scheme after self-scouting themselves: "I know how solid the scheme is. We've been a pretty good defensive unit over the years here. So I trust we'll be right back on that and rolling."

Reid on carrying five running backs for the time being: “Let’s have some competition there and see what happens.”

Reid emphasizing he doesn’t believe the #Chiefs have to draft for need after some of the offseason moves made. “Don’t have to force one,” he says.

This is an interesting take but it’s not far off from what I expected from Chiefs brass. The team has clearly been focusing on the offense rather than the defense during free agency. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them add more receivers, tight ends or offensive linemen high in the draft next week.

From a logical standpoint, I’ll have to disagree with Reid about the defense not having holes. Obviously Reid knows way more than I do about football and his team but I don’t feel comfortable with David Amerson at cornerback and Eric Murray/Daniel Sorensen at safety. Those guys have the potential to play well but have all struggled recently.

The return of safety Eric Berry should help the defense turn things around though, as could the possible return of a healthy linebacker
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ragland and Jones lost weight and ready to kick ass!

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/16/chris-jones-reggie-ragland-shed-weight-during-offseason/

Several Chiefs defensive players are taking steps to get leaner and faster.

During Monday’s presser, Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones and linebacker Reggie Ragland both said they shed some weight during the offseason.

Jones said he lost 25 pounds, turning fat into muscle, while Ragland dropped 10 pounds in order to improve his coverage.

Tom Martin

@TomKCTV5
Chris Jones says he’s dropping weight, “turning fat into muscle.” Says he could play more on the outside this year.

Matt Derrick
@mattderrick
Reggie Ragland says he’s dropped about 10 pounds. Trying to take better care of himself so he can be faster in coverage and chasing running backs.

It’s awesome to see some of the Chiefs’ top defensive players work so hard to keep improving their bodies and their game. Jones looks great and his weight loss is very noticeable based on the photos (seen above). Jones dropping some pounds could be the difference-maker when he goes after opposing quarterbacks.

Ragland shedding weight in order to improve his coverage is interesting. Ragland has been known as more of a run-stuffer in the pros but the Chiefs signed linebacker Anthony Hitchens to be their top run defender. Ragland’s weight loss and added speed could mean he’ll see more looks as a coverage linebacker on passing downs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL players showed up for voluntary camp. The Mahomes effect ?

It doesn’t look like there will be a no-show controversy this year for the Chiefs.

The first day of Kansas City’s offseason workouts was Monday, and everyone on the team showed up according to coach Andy Reid. That includes safety Eric Berry and linebacker Justin Houston, two players who didn’t show up to organized team activities last year.

Terez A. Paylor

@TerezPaylor
Andy Reid says Eric Berry, Travis Kelce and Justin Houston are present for the start of offseason workouts

BJ Kissel

@ChiefsReporter
#Chiefs coach Andy Reid said everyone is here, as well.

Reid added that it was good to have the leaders of the locker room present on the first day. Many agree, as shown last year after several fans and media members were upset that Berry, Houston and former Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters didn’t show up for OTAs. Reid acknowledged several times last year that OTAs were voluntary, although he did seem a bit annoyed when asked about it.

Of course, there’s still a possibility that a player decides to skip OTAs, but considering the backlash last year it seems unlikely. That’s probably a good thing anyway because, like Reid said, the leaders of the locker room need to be there.

Halfcan
04-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Feels like a different vibe this year- more of a TEAM.

Peters would most likely have been a no-show again and a distraction. Instead of talking about all the offseason work and how dedicated players like Mahomes, Ragland and Jones were- it would have been "where is Peters, is he going to ride a bike during the anthem, why is he wearing Black Panther gear in the locker room ect ect.

Such a positive attitude surrounding this team now.

Reerun_KC
04-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Bawahahahahahah. Ok Andy.

Dayze
04-17-2018, 09:53 AM
defense might be ready....but how about Boob Sutton?

oldman
04-17-2018, 10:09 AM
No, Andy, the D isn't ready when you are counting on Dee Ford to stay on the field all season and still have no replacement for Peters. I'm not wild about the FS position, either. Put down the nachos, take off the rose colored glasses, and get someone other than Sutton to be DC.

Simply Red
04-17-2018, 10:13 AM
No, Andy, the D isn't ready when you are counting on Dee Ford to stay on the field all season and still have no replacement for Peters. I'm not wild about the FS position, either. Put down the nachos, take off the rose colored glasses, and get someone other than Sutton to be DC.

<style>.mcclatchy-embed{position:relative;padding:40px 0 56.25%;height:0;overflow:hidden;max-width:100%}.mcclatchy-embed iframe{position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%}</style><div class="mcclatchy-embed"><iframe src="http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article209069519.html/video-embed" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div>

Halfcan
04-17-2018, 10:31 AM

If we can assume that Berry, Ford, Jones and Houston will all play to their potential this year- then add in Ragland and Hitchens shoring up the run defense. That is a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

It has to be better than last year right?

Shoes
04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
I understand the skepticism regarding Ford but I think there is some reason to be positive. In a contract year Dee Ford has to prove to the NFL that he is worth receiving a second contract, and a big part of that will be Ford staying on the field.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think there is a good chance you get Dee Ford's best season this year.

Eleazar
04-17-2018, 10:38 AM
bookmarked

tmax63
04-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Agree with Shoes, contract year brings out the best in everyone and I'd also add that the MD's went in and fixed something. Back surgery is a risk but when they find a problem and go in and fix it, it's better than a "let it rest/heal and then rehab and strengthening" in my eyes. They do the rest/let it heal when they can't find a problem to fix.

Buckweath
04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
I understand the skepticism regarding Ford but I think there is some reason to be positive. In a contract year Dee Ford has to prove to the NFL that he is worth receiving a second contract, and a big part of that will be Ford staying on the field.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think there is a good chance you get Dee Ford's best season this year.
My point of view is that between Ford and Kpassagnon, surely we can have some decent play from that OLB position.

Kpassagnon is probably a year away from really showing the goods, if he ever fully develops, but I still expect him to contribute some this year.

Simply Red
04-17-2018, 10:45 AM

I actually agree - seems he finally got repaired - that's a big part of the recurring injury.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-17-2018, 10:58 AM
I actually agree - seems he finally got repaired - that's a big part of the recurring injury.

I believe!!!

Reerun_KC
04-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Ford? Buttons?

Blood sugar low there obese Andy?

Simply Red
04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
I believe!!!

I do too! I think he'll be good!

SuperBowl4
04-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Still waiting for the Andy Reid KNOWS Defense is ready thread

Randallflagg
04-17-2018, 11:11 AM
defense might be ready....but how about Boob Sutton?

Exactly. Until Sutton is replaced, this "Defense" will NOT be ready. Nope.

BossChief
04-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Less than 2 weeks from the draft. Andy is well aware that his defense has big holes that need filled, but what do you expect him to say?

He says they need some corners, that tells other teams to move in front of us for one.

Shoes
04-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Less than 2 weeks from the draft. Andy is well aware that his defense has big holes that need filled, but what do you expect him to say?

He says they need some corners, that tells other teams to move in front of us for one.

100% accurate as well- little bit of trying to hide your cards going on here but lets be honest I think most NFL teams will have an idea of what other teams weaknesses/strengths are going into the draft. Not a secret by any means that the Chiefs could use corners and safeties, just depends on who the Chiefs covet most in the draft.

BlackOp
04-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Ready to be the 26th ranked defense...

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 12:24 PM
I hope the best player available is an awesome TE like Kelce or a guard like Nelson

WhiteWhale
04-17-2018, 12:28 PM
If Jones needs to lose weight to get his motor going, that's what he should do. He goes from unblockable to invisible far too often. Dude has all pro potential, time to show it on a consistent basis.

I feel good about Ragland going forward. KC fans noticed him last year, but I think he'll start getting more attention.

KC DOES need more guys who can rush the QB on a down to down basis. Ford, Jones, and Houston are the only guys with any showing they can. I know they got a 2nd rounder who hasn't done shit, but KC needed him LAST season and he wasn't getting on the field. I think the primary reason for the bad run D is scheme related, which seems a bigger issue.

Sutton has always been different and for the most part it worked out great, but I really don't understand what the **** he's doing at all over the past 2 seasons. I'm not a blitz maniac, but far too often we're only sending 3 and 4 guys. Blitzes seem ill-timed. KC is ALWAYS in sub packages with 6 DB's on the field and getting ran over. Plus, when in those packages the lack of CB and S depth is exploited by opposing offenses. I don't even need to comment on how much time Houston spends in pass coverage. I'm just tired of this kinda conservative pass prevent D. It was awful last year and in 2016 was frequently bailed out by individual great plays.

I mean I'm not saying anything that several others haven't said, but damn Andy, did you WATCH the defense last year?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm not a fan of sutton but he did call some blitzes in the playoff game. DJ nailed the QB, by the way Tripplet fucked us out of the game on that. sorenson nailed the QB, by the way Tripplet fucked us out of the game on that. And Peters had a blitz but the ball was handed off.

Reerun_KC
04-17-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm not a fan of sutton but he did call some blitzes in the playoff game. DJ nailed the QB, by the way Tripplet ****ed us out of the game on that. sorenson nailed the QB, by the way Tripplet ****ed us out of the game on that. And Peters had a blitz but the ball was handed off.

Yeah Tripplet cause our offense to suck and our QB to suck historically. It’s all Trippletts fault.

BossChief
04-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Clearly, Veach thinks the CBs were the problem with the defense.

Peters was traded
They tried to trade Nelson
They let Gaines walk
They let Mitchell walk
They let Acker walk

Hard to blitz if the QB can throw it anywhere because the corners can’t cover

AssEaterChief
04-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Ha Ha

Coach Speak

JakeF
04-17-2018, 01:46 PM
So we have less talent but now our defense is better?

As sad has it sounds, last year Tamba Hali was still our best ROLB and now he's gone. Sutton needs a front 4 that can get consistent pressure on the QB. We still don't have that. If we are going to rely on Sutton to scheme for sacks, we're screwed. Sutton has shown almost no ability to be able to do that.

Also, if we don't pick up a CB in the draft that can start yr one we are going to struggle in the passing game again.

If Berry or Houston get hurt again we are in trouble. We don't have even an average replacement for either of them.

JakeF
04-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Peters was traded
They let Gaines walk
They let Mitchell walk
They let Acker walk

Difficult when your coaching staff has shown no ability to teach or scheme blitzing either.

BossChief
04-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Difficult when your coaching staff has shown no ability to teach or scheme blitzing either.

That’s not true at all.

Halfcan
04-17-2018, 02:24 PM
So we have less talent but now our defense is better?

As sad has it sounds, last year Tamba Hali was still our best ROLB and now he's gone. Sutton needs a front 4 that can get consistent pressure on the QB. We still don't have that. If we are going to rely on Sutton to scheme for sacks, we're screwed. Sutton has shown almost no ability to be able to do that.

Also, if we don't pick up a CB in the draft that can start yr one we are going to struggle in the passing game again.

If Berry or Houston get hurt again we are in trouble. We don't have even an average replacement for either of them.

:hmmm: How did you come up with this?

RunKC
04-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Peters was traded
They let Gaines walk
They let Mitchell walk
They let Acker walk

I remember watching the Texans and Raiders game thinking this. It was truly awful.

The Chiefs gave up catches for 3 Hail mary’s in Houston. It was a goddamn embarrassment.

Halfcan
04-17-2018, 02:31 PM

Peters was traded- Decided not to tackle anymore, cost us on dumb penalties.
They tried to trade Nelson - Always hurt.
They let Gaines walk- Ranked last in NFL.
They let Mitchell walk- Never turned for the ball-PI call waiting to happen.
They let Acker walk- All around bad play.

That was a terrible group. Our pass interference calls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties should drop in half this year.

Shoes
04-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Not all doom and gloom on the defensive side in my opinion. Excited to see how Kpassagnon progresses as a pass rusher this season, Chiefs have done fairly well in the draft and there is a reason he was taken in the 2nd round as a "project" (Chris Jones was a bit of a project too).

For all the shit Bob Sutton gets on Chiefsplanet the last three seasons points against wise the Chiefs have finished 3rd (2015), 7th (2016), and 15th (2017), and I think we can agree last season was the least talented bunch he coached. This is a make or break season for Sutton but he's shown it in the past.

My concern is if Berry can return and be Berry like- I think him being a leader on the defense is invaluable, but achilles injuries are maybe the most difficult to return from.

King_Chief_Fan
04-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Ready to be the 26th ranked defense...

Vermiel and Robinson years part 2

Bewbies
04-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Our defense sucked last year. Of course it's going to be better this year.

We basically had Warfield and Bartee out there all year again.

hitchief
04-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Well, if Andy tells us we're good on D, we're good, right? Not so much.

Thank god we picked up an expensive wr in FA. Just the piece of the puzzle this team was missing. I mean, its easy to understand by looking at the O and D stats last year that it was the O that needed to lose its best player and the O that needed a new toy.

Stupid IMO but we shall see. I think its as simple as Andy wanting Pat to succeed and make him look good and doesn't care that the D will suck ass next year. It gives him an excuse with Hunt - the O isn't the problem Clark, its the D, so keep me and get rid of that old rat DC.

jjchieffan
04-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Thank god we picked up an expensive wr in FA. Just the piece of the puzzle this team was missing. I mean, its easy to understand by looking at the O and D stats last year that it was the O that needed to lose its best player and the O that needed a new toy.

Stupid IMO but we shall see. I think its as simple as Andy wanting Pat to succeed and make him look good and doesn't care that the D will suck ass next year. It gives him an excuse with Hunt - the O isn't the problem Clark, its the D, so keep me and get rid of that old rat DC.

I am going to assume that you meant to type D here. Unless you're an Alexsexual. Because Smith and Wilson were the only players we lost on offense and I don't know many that think either of them was our best player. The loss of Peter's, though not the best player on the D either, seems to make more sense. But if Berry comes back healthy, he is our best player on D.

Easy 6
04-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Exactly. Until Sutton is replaced, this "Defense" will NOT be ready. Nope.

Ran, I railed until my fingers hurt about Bad Bob... but a little time to simmer down has made me see that all is not lost with him

We've had some really nice Ds under him, and by all accounts from our newly signed free agents, we're getting back to that more aggressive style

St Pat is gonna put up a LOT of points, and Bad Bob will let these guys pin their ears back... :)

Yeah this, whats he supposed to say?... 'oh hell guys we're hurting all over, particularly CB'

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Ragland and Hitchins will stop the run game. DJ was slow as hell Tamba and Dee were worthless. We got rid of cancer we add Berry and Fuller. we're already a lot different than last year. Give Sutton something to work with and he'll be OK.

Easy 6
04-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Ragland and Hitchins will stop the run game. DJ was slow as hell Tamba and Dee were worthless. We got rid of cancer we add Berry and Fuller. we're already a lot different than last year. Give Sutton something to work with and he'll be OK.

Yeah, I'm trending towards optimistic right now

Bad Bob hasnt been ALL bad in his time here, at times he has been damn good... and it seems pretty clear we're going back to a more aggressive, attacking scheme this year

Halfcan
04-17-2018, 05:30 PM

:hmmm: Huh? So we traded for Fuller, signed Hitchens to a big contract- dumped most of our CB's because Andy does not care about the Defense?

I think you are looking at things through a thick pair of Negative glasses. By the time camp gets here, we will add at least 2 more starters on D and a lot of depth players. I don't expect them to be the 85 Bears but they won't be close to the same unit as last year either-which will be a huge improvement.

JakeF
04-17-2018, 05:54 PM
:hmmm: Huh? So we traded for Fuller, signed Hitchens to a big contract- dumped most of our CB's because Andy does not care about the Defense?

I think you are looking at things through a thick pair of Negative glasses. By the time camp gets here, we will add at least 2 more starters on D and a lot of depth players. I don't expect them to be the 85 Bears but they won't be close to the same unit as last year either-which will be a huge improvement.We traded a Pro Bowl cornerback for Fuller.

We lost several defensive players before signing Hitchens.

Now, I believe that 90% of our draft is going to be defense. I imagine Veach is planning on having tons of young, athletes on defense learning while our offense keeps us in games scoring points. The problem is that Mahomes is still a n00b. This season is going to be ugly if Mahomes struggles even a tiny bit.

MMXcalibur
04-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Andy Reid thinks Defense is ready

...to make the offense contemplate never punting the ball. Ever.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 06:39 PM
We traded a Pro Bowl cornerback for Fuller.

Now, I believe that 90% of our draft is going to be defense. I imagine Veach is planning on having tons of young, athletes on defense learning while our offense keeps us in games scoring points. The problem is that Mahomes is still a n00b. This season is going to be ugly if Mahomes struggles even a tiny bit.

Mahomes .Struggle. ROFL

I don't think so.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Insert prolonged, sustained farting noise in response to this article.

Randallflagg
04-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Ran, I railed until my fingers hurt about Bad Bob... but a little time to simmer down has made me see that all is not lost with him

We've had some really nice Ds under him, and by all accounts from our newly signed free agents, we're getting back to that more aggressive style

St Pat is gonna put up a LOT of points, and Bad Bob will let these guys pin their ears back... :)

Yeah this, whats he supposed to say?... 'oh hell guys we're hurting all over, particularly CB'

It's not that Sutton is necessarily a BAD D Coordinator. The thing is that every team in the NFL KNOWS when they play the Chiefs exactly what the D scheme is. Sutton has been around so long - and his patent refusal to "change" his scheme from time to time - that you can almost see the O Coordinator on the other side of the field smiling.

I think that we all can call his defense from play to play. Just been using the same plan for far too damned long.

I remember back, quite a few years ago when Cunningham was D Coordinator - don't remember who they were playing at the time - but Gunther called Blitzes on EVERY down - to keep them out of the end zone. No one in their right mind thought he should do that - but the game was won on that goal line stand. The Coach of the other team called it "pure genius".

THAT is the kind of thing that Sutton has completely lost (imo). Far too damned predictable.

JakeF
04-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Mahomes .Struggle. ROFL

I don't think so.
So Mahomes is the best 2nd-year starter in the history of the NFL so he's never going to struggle ......... ever.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2018, 07:55 PM
So Mahomes is the best 2nd-year starter in the history of the NFL so he's never going to struggle ......... ever.

Great post!

Deberg_1990
04-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Hell yea. They will be ready.

Easy 6
04-17-2018, 08:22 PM
It's not that Sutton is necessarily a BAD D Coordinator. The thing is that every team in the NFL KNOWS when they play the Chiefs exactly what the D scheme is. Sutton has been around so long - and his patent refusal to "change" his scheme from time to time - that you can almost see the O Coordinator on the other side of the field smiling.

I think that we all can call his defense from play to play. Just been using the same plan for far too damned long.

I remember back, quite a few years ago when Cunningham was D Coordinator - don't remember who they were playing at the time - but Gunther called Blitzes on EVERY down - to keep them out of the end zone. No one in their right mind thought he should do that - but the game was won on that goal line stand. The Coach of the other team called it "pure genius".

THAT is the kind of thing that Sutton has completely lost (imo). Far too damned predictable.

Last year hurt, I wont lie... but my take now is that he took a mistaken - throw cornerbacks and safeties at'em - approach to making up for our lack of athletic talent across the board

LB all around should be waaay better thid year with a healthy Ford and 3rd year Kpass, not to mention our new inside guys with Hitchens a slimmed down Ragland

On the backend, we all know Berrys return will make such a huge difference, and of course the draft will surely bring serious help... thats leaves the D line, which may not get a ton of help, but I feel confident Xavier Williams can be better than Logan with his youth and genuine desire to be here

And of course the newly svelte Sasquatch, his 3rd year growth will be key... but all in all, I'm loving the way things are shaping up

Give Bad Bob another chance in 2018, I say :)

Randallflagg
04-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Last year hurt, I wont lie... but my take now is that he took a mistaken - throw cornerbacks and safeties at'em - approach to making up for our lack of athletic talent across the board

LB all around should be waaay better thid year with a healthy Ford and 3rd year Kpass, not to mention our new inside guys with Hitchens a slimmed down Ragland

On the backend, we all know Berrys return will make such a huge difference, and of course the draft will surely bring serious help... thats leaves the D line, which may not get a ton of help, but I feel confident Xavier Williams can be better than Logan with his youth and genuine desire to be here

And of course the newly svelte Sasquatch, his 3rd year growth will be key... but all in all, I'm loving the way things are shaping up

Oh we will.....what else can we do? Reid isn't going to get rid of him. But I seriously hope that the Defense is better. It HAS to be. Hoping that the Offense can just keep outscoring their opponent by 48-45 is really going out on a limb Sunday after Sunday.

But Hell, I'm optimistic!! PBJ

Easy 6
04-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Oh we will.....what else can we do? Reid isn't going to get rid of him. But I seriously hope that the Defense is better. It HAS to be. Hoping that the Offense can just keep outscoring their opponent by 48-45 is really going out on a limb Sunday after Sunday.

But Hell, I'm optimistic!! PBJ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TME0xubdHQc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
04-17-2018, 09:00 PM

You are overly optimistic.:D

CoMoChief
04-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Berry is back, but will he be the same ol EB? We will see. This is a big "IF" the Chiefs may have to face this season. If he's not the old EB, the secondary (and really, the D as a whole) is going to be in shit loads of trouble.

No Marcus Peters. Say what you want, but he caused TO's and won the Chiefs game(s) on his play alone on more than 1 occasion. His playmaking ability is not going to be replaced/replicated etc. Yeah we got Fuller via AS trade, but he's not better than Peters, regardless of what PFF says. Amerson is ass and Nelson isn't much better.

DJ was a leader. Some things dont show up on the stat sheet. His presence will be greatly missed.

DL still has major holes, lacks a quality starting rotation and depth and can't stop the run. Who's the Chiefs NT? Jones is down to 280ish. Lots of problems need to be addressed here. Of course the draft is coming up, but unless the Chiefs draft the next Aaron Donald, this is going to be a problem all season IMO.

Andy Reid is either drunk or is doing his best trying to indirectly convince people that the D won't be complete shit so they'll buy season tix. Chiefs are going to have to score 30-40ppg if they plan on making the playoffs. I just don't see where the Chiefs upgraded at any position other than EB possibly returning to old form and getting younger at ILB.

And lets not forget how fucking bad the Chiefs pass rush is. KPass? Project FAIL? Dominant days of Houston are long gone? Ford sucks/can't stay healthy choose your pick? Zombo :o) And if the pass rush sucks the secondary is going to suck that much more.

jjchieffan
04-17-2018, 09:40 PM

Am I really the only one to catch this? KPass was drafted last draft. He will be 2nd year, not 3rd.

Randallflagg
04-17-2018, 10:09 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TME0xubdHQc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great movie! Unfortunately, so full of crap that it literally stinks....But what the hell, I'm a Scotsman (Inverness). It was a great movie, indeed!

My Wife and I have been to most of those filming locations, Stirling Bridge (nothing like the movie), Falkirk, and the Scots (Highlanders) didn't wear kilts in the 13th Century :)

Saw Wallace's sword at the museum at Falkirk (or so they say). Saw the statue of Wallace...poor guy looked nothing like Mel Gibson!! Wonderful movie. Very inspirational. I would LOVE to see Sutton, however, dress in a kilt, paint his face blue and deliver that speech to his Defense on the first regular game. Now THAT would make the history books!! LMAO

beach tribe
04-18-2018, 05:58 AM
Andy just knows teams won't be able to outscore us, and our sack and TO ratio is going to sky rocket from teams trying to keep up.

wazu
04-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Andy just knows teams won't be able to outscore us, and our sack and TO ratio is going to sky rocket from teams trying to keep up.

If Reid believes our offense is going to leap that far forward then it is a tremendous indictment of Alex Smith.

New World Order
04-18-2018, 07:01 AM
If they move up and draft a good corner there’s no reason why this couldn’t be one of the better secondaries in the NFL if berry can stay healthy.

We have Jones and Houston upfront and our lb position in the middle is pretty good.

tmax63
04-18-2018, 07:48 AM
They had a bottom-5 defense last year. They kept a few of the good players but in all actuality they could start 11 new players and have a hard time doing any worse than last year. New faces and new attitudes might make a bigger difference than some think here. I'm glad they blew it up. If anyone was getting "comfortable" in their spot I think this lets them know that nobody is immune.

Baby Lee
04-18-2018, 08:05 AM
If Reid believes our offense is going to leap that far forward then it is a tremendous indictment of Alex Smith.

Or a tremendous vindication of Mahomes' generational skillset. . .

Or a tremendous indictment of Reid's predictive skills. . . .

Looking at Mahomes, I'd say the former.

Looking at Reid's prediction for the defense, doubt creeps the preponderance of the evidence toward the latter.

Halfcan
04-18-2018, 08:43 AM
We traded a Pro Bowl cornerback for Fuller.

Fans on here way over value Peters. Yes, he created turnovers-lots of them- but on the flip side did not even try to tackle. Peters was burned a lot too, plus the PI calls, plus the Unsportsmanlike conduct calls, plus the anthem nonsense, plus kicking the football in the stands, plus yelling at refs, fans, and coaches, plus wearing stupid Black Panther gear in the locker room. Obviously, the Chiefs were glad to get rid of him and feel the team is better for it. But all we see on here- D is going to suck without Peters. It sucked with him.

Mahomes won't be perfect, but I bet he won't have a mid-season long slump like the last guy did. Or go an entire season without completing a TD to a WR.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Fans on here way over value Peters. Yes, he created turnovers-lots of them- but on the flip side did not even try to tackle. Peters was burned a lot too, plus the PI calls, plus the Unsportsmanlike conduct calls, plus the anthem nonsense, plus kicking the football in the stands, plus yelling at refs, fans, and coaches, plus wearing stupid Black Panther gear in the locker room. Obviously, the Chiefs were glad to get rid of him and feel the team is better for it. But all we see on here- D is going to suck without Peters. It sucked with him.

Mahomes won't be perfect, but I bet he won't have a mid-season long slump like the last guy did. Or go an entire season without completing a TD to a WR.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

O.city
04-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Turnovers are pretty important for a defense I'd think.

oldman
04-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Berry is back, but will he be the same ol EB? We will see. This is a big "IF" the Chiefs may have to face this season. If he's not the old EB, the secondary (and really, the D as a whole) is going to be in shit loads of trouble.

No Marcus Peters. Say what you want, but he caused TO's and won the Chiefs game(s) on his play alone on more than 1 occasion. His playmaking ability is not going to be replaced/replicated etc. Yeah we got Fuller via AS trade, but he's not better than Peters, regardless of what PFF says. Amerson is ass and Nelson isn't much better.

DJ was a leader. Some things dont show up on the stat sheet. His presence will be greatly missed.

DL still has major holes, lacks a quality starting rotation and depth and can't stop the run. Who's the Chiefs NT? Jones is down to 280ish. Lots of problems need to be addressed here. Of course the draft is coming up, but unless the Chiefs draft the next Aaron Donald, this is going to be a problem all season IMO.

Andy Reid is either drunk or is doing his best trying to indirectly convince people that the D won't be complete shit so they'll buy season tix. Chiefs are going to have to score 30-40ppg if they plan on making the playoffs. I just don't see where the Chiefs upgraded at any position other than EB possibly returning to old form and getting younger at ILB.

And lets not forget how ****ing bad the Chiefs pass rush is. KPass? Project FAIL? Dominant days of Houston are long gone? Ford sucks/can't stay healthy choose your pick? Zombo :o) And if the pass rush sucks the secondary is going to suck that much more.

I pretty much agree with your assessment with the exception of Kpass. I think he just needs more reps and he'll be a force.

While we may be able to score 30 per game, I never want to see a repeat of the DICK years. It doesn't matter if you score 50, if the other team scores 51, you lose. Load up on D, Andy!

tmax63
04-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Being able to stop the run and cover receivers is rather important too. MP's "ole" tackling skills and penalties balanced out his turnover production in my book. Amerson is better than the trash they got rid of. DJ's leadership will be missed but he had lost most of his playing time by the end of the season. I'd love to see him come back as a LB coach.

chiefzilla1501
04-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Andy is the king of coachspeak. So whatever. But I do wish he could support Sutton and be optimistic while also acknowledging "it has to be better." "it has to be different." seems disinterested in holding Sutton accountable. Bad personnel or not, his scheme was too often just utterly lost.

In a separate interview reid said we need to go back to blitzing more. So at least there's that....

FloridaMan88
04-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Andy Reid saying that the "defense is ready" a week before the NFL Draft where the Chiefs are expected to focus on defense and have been rumored to be interested in trading up to draft a cornerback.

Andy's weak attempt at a pre-draft smokescreen apparently.

chiefzilla1501
04-18-2018, 10:35 AM

The D didn't suck with peters when the D made sense. Sure peters brought the scheme down some, but the scheme brought peters down a lot moreso. From a coverage standpoint he was terrific. About as well as you could expect in a scheme where the pass rush forces mistakes and forces you to cover for a million hours man on man. The defense will probably be better and that's mostly because of scheme. The defense would improve even moreso with peters in it. Fair point to ask if his attitude is worth it, but there's no doubt he's a huge loss for the defense even with his shortcomings. We had a ball hawking corner and we decided the best use for him was to sit back in dime even when we knew it was hurting our pass rush? We don't trust peters against the run so our solution was to throw more dbacks on to the field.. Suttons scheme was a big issue last year and I hope that gets fixed.

Chris Meck
04-18-2018, 11:39 AM
ILB play will be better. DL play is at least equal, though I think slightly better. CB play I would say slightly better OVERALL; slightly less in the turnover rate but better in tackling and teamwork. Safety should be better with Berry returning and Golden. OLB should improve simply by the experience gained by KPass; unless they missed entirely on him in the draft-and it doesn't seem that they think so as they did not pursue any OLB in FA.

I don't get the gloom and doom. They didn't stand pat at any level. And we still have the draft to go.

Chris Meck
04-18-2018, 11:48 AM
I just want disruption. I hate it when I feel like a defense is just sitting back and waiting to see what the offense is going to do. I just want disruptive players.

jjchieffan
04-18-2018, 11:59 AM
ILB play will be better. DL play is at least equal, though I think slightly better. CB play I would say slightly better OVERALL; slightly less in the turnover rate but better in tackling and teamwork. Safety should be better with Berry returning and Golden. OLB should improve simply by the experience gained by KPass; unless they missed entirely on him in the draft-and it doesn't seem that they think so as they did not pursue any OLB in FA.

I don't get the gloom and doom. They didn't stand pat at any level. And we still have the draft to go.

The doom and gloom is over the Peter's trade. This isn't called overreaction planet for nothing. Everyone who is upset about the Peter's trade are the same ones that are predicting a bad defense. Those and the one's screaming for Sutton's head. But I'm really not sure that he was the problem. That defense scheme absolutely destroyed the Pats week 1. But that scheme was designed with Eric Berry as the key to it's success. When we lost Berry, the scheme was failing. I think that this year will be better for the defense as well. I think that Berry's return, as well as the improvement at ILB will transform our defense. We will be better against the run and maybe about the same against the pass.

Naptown Chief
04-18-2018, 12:00 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned before..
I doubt any coach is going to come out and say "Sorry folks, D is going to suck this year." Nor would I anticipate them saying "We're looking to snag 2 CBs, an NT and a S" a week before the draft. They're well aware of our needs, we're well aware of our needs, and the other teams are aware of our needs.

The optimist in me is HOPING they know something we don't. Maybe this group is ready as is, minus a few depth pieces. I won't hold my breath, but it sure as hell isn't going to take away from the fact that we FINALLY drafted a franchise caliber qb. I think I need to contact a doctor because I've had an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. I'm going on 12 months.

chiefzilla1501
04-18-2018, 04:59 PM
The doom and gloom is over the Peter's trade. This isn't called overreaction planet for nothing. Everyone who is upset about the Peter's trade are the same ones that are predicting a bad defense. Those and the one's screaming for Sutton's head. But I'm really not sure that he was the problem. That defense scheme absolutely destroyed the Pats week 1. But that scheme was designed with Eric Berry as the key to it's success. When we lost Berry, the scheme was failing. I think that this year will be better for the defense as well. I think that Berry's return, as well as the improvement at ILB will transform our defense. We will be better against the run and maybe about the same against the pass.

I'm a fan of what Sutton did most of his years. But he looked lost last year. We can blame it all we want on talent. This defense didn't look nearly as bad in the past when we had far less talent. Let's not forgot our defense almost carried us to the playoffs in a year where we lost berry and dj in week 1 with Sean Smith and Gaines as our top 2 corners. The scheme was a big part of the problem. Reid sold us that the scheme will be different. He better be right.

Red Dawg
04-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Andy is high on crack. Defense is ready? Like hell it is.

Toad
04-18-2018, 08:21 PM
The D didn't suck with peters when the D made sense. Sure peters brought the scheme down some, but the scheme brought peters down a lot moreso. From a coverage standpoint he was terrific. About as well as you could expect in a scheme where the pass rush forces mistakes and forces you to cover for a million hours man on man. The defense will probably be better and that's mostly because of scheme. The defense would improve even moreso with peters in it. Fair point to ask if his attitude is worth it, but there's no doubt he's a huge loss for the defense even with his shortcomings. We had a ball hawking corner and we decided the best use for him was to sit back in dime even when we knew it was hurting our pass rush? We don't trust peters against the run so our solution was to throw more dbacks on to the field.. Suttons scheme was a big issue last year and I hope that gets fixed.

In a vacumn, MP was great in coverage and turnovers. He will. That will be missed.

From a 'what's best for the team' perspective, he was not good.

As Halfcan said, the PI calls, unsportsmanlike calls, anthem nonsense, yelling at refs, fans, and coaches, fighting with coaches and his mom was not good for the team.

The defense was 💩 with him (28th in the league in yardage), so it can't be much worse without him. The upside without him should result in a more cohesive team.

Rausch
04-19-2018, 07:24 AM
I disagree with Andy.

To be fair Hali and Ford didn't do squat last year, Berry was out injured, and we played our best game of the year against the pass with Peters benched.

I don't think this D is playoff ready right now but with a solid draft and a piece or two after preseason cuts we might be good enough to get by...

Simply Red
04-19-2018, 09:13 AM
<style>.mcclatchy-embed{position:relative;padding:40px 0 56.25%;height:0;overflow:hidden;max-width:100%}.mcclatchy-embed iframe{position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%}</style><div class="mcclatchy-embed"><iframe src="http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article209285289.html/video-embed" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div>

Bewbies
04-19-2018, 09:15 AM
I disagree with Andy.

To be fair Hali and Ford didn't do squat last year, Berry was out injured, and we played our best game of the year against the pass with Peters benched.

I don't think this D is playoff ready right now but with a solid draft and a piece or two after preseason cuts we might be good enough to get by...

Defense was worse last year. And we had a QB unable to overcome even slight adversity. And yet, we should have won a playoff game.

Our LB's have been completely remade, with improvements at 3-4 spots from where we started last year. DB's will have different 4 than we had last year. D-line probably has 1 maybe 2 new starters there too.

Clearly the team believes talent was the problem...

ct
04-19-2018, 09:24 AM
If we add a couple pieces from the draft, i think this D will be fine.

Ragland and Hitchins as full time ILB will be a huge boost to the run D, though i would like some upgrades to the DLine rotation if we can get a good 5 tech in the draft.

Pass rush depth is still an issue that we do need pieces in the draft. Starters however, if we get Ford back will be better than LY with zombo filling in. i'm not sold on Tano but remain hopeful he can develop as a rotational rusher as well. the Q with he and Fords health is where we absolutely need a developmental prospect here, if not an immediate contributor in rush situations if we can get good value.

Overall i think the front 7 is good for starters but couple depth pieces are needed.

Secondary will be fine as is, as long as Berry is healthy. I say fine, not good.

I'm in the camp i fully expect Fuller and Amerson on the outside, with Nelson in the slot in nickel. that's worst case, which aint terrible, and not any worse than LY imo. Given nelson injuries and the garbage rotation across from Peters, those 3 alone isnt awful. of course, a blue chip starter prospect would be HUGE for our defense, which could A) slide Fuller and rookie as #1/2, push Amerson to the bench (or cut), and again Nelson in the slot or B) Amerson comes in nickel with fuller sliding inside, which keeps nelson as #4. That is HUGE upgrade imo with 1 pick.

if we happen to grab 2 good prospect CBs or LY's UDFA diamond in the rough potential Lampkin returning from ACL and this may very well bump amerson off the roster entirely.

Safety depth with Berry back is so much better than w/out him. Let the competition play out among Murray, Golden, McQuay and a draftee or undraftee prospect, with Sorenson firmly as situational package guy and i'm ok with it. Snag a SOLID prospect like Reid in teh draft and now we are cookin! Unfortunately, that likely comes at the price of a top bluechip CB which i feel pays more dividend for us right now, so i'm looking for S in 3rd/4th along with pass rushers and 2nd rookie CB pick.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-19-2018, 09:26 AM
In NFL terms this team is fucking loaded. NO team is stacked at every position. The team has holes, but no more than any other high end team. If Mahomes is what we thinks he is....look out

Simply Red
04-19-2018, 09:27 AM
RAGLAND BACK WITH THE PESCATARIAN!

Coochie liquor
04-19-2018, 09:28 AM

Hard to not be predictable when your starting corners opposite Peters were garbage. Sutton had to put the fires of crappy players out all year. I think when he can put good players in then he will have more success. But I can’t lie, him allowing our number 1 cb to not follow the oppositions number 1 wr drives me nuts!

scho63
04-19-2018, 09:48 AM
1. If Andy is saying this to put a good face on a bad situation and provide confidence in what we have, I'm OK with that.
2. If Andy said this because he truly believes it, shame on Andy and his delusional fantasies.

I hope it's answer #1

Beef Supreme
04-19-2018, 03:17 PM
RAGLAND BACK WITH THE PESCATARIAN!

Sabby Pescatarian?

ping2000
04-19-2018, 06:21 PM
"Doesn't matter what Andy thinks. I'm still here to make sure our defense underachieves."https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180420/a6b675e39bad696f19d2e5462bb3acb9.jpg

Easy 6
04-19-2018, 06:30 PM
I've stood right there in your shoes, ping

It gets better, back away from the ledge... take my hand and trust me

scho63
04-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't mind buying that same windbreaker. :thumb:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180420/a6b675e39bad696f19d2e5462bb3acb9.jpg

TrebMaxx
04-19-2018, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't expect Andy to say what way the team will go in the draft. Saying the D is good could be a rouse or a attempted rouse. This time of year it's a game within a game that the front offices of NFL teams play.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-19-2018, 08:25 PM
We don't pick until 54 and you guys think he's trying to mislead teams

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
I disagree with Andy.

I wish he would just stop doing press altogether. Not ONCE has it ever been anything but pointless googlymuck and a waste of bandwidth.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Still don't understand why the same people who believe the defense needs to be overhauled weren't saying this the year before. In fact, I think they gave up fewer yards this past season.

If they can get one or two pieces in the draft that are ready to contribute, there's no reason to think the defense can't be league average. And if they limit points the way they've been able to in recent years, they won't even need to be. I can't see the offense scoring under 26/game. More likely around 30.

ping2000
04-19-2018, 10:49 PM
Too bad he doesn't practice what he preaches.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180420/a5eed6f4f808907d1ceb5731dde4c170.jpg

bricks
04-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Too bad he doesn't practice what he preaches.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180420/a5eed6f4f808907d1ceb5731dde4c170.jpg

Fear everything and stop nothing!

Baby Lee
04-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Too bad Marcus 'Business Decision' Peters so often did.