PDA

View Full Version : Life Things you can't miss in Seattle

DaFace
04-20-2018, 10:52 AM
My wife and I are taking a quick weekend trip to Seattle at the end of the month. Only on the ground for 2.5 days, so we'll just be scraping the surface of the city, but any recommendations on things we can't miss while we're there?

Baby Lee
04-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Browse their local 'independent' paper, The Stranger, for events and reviews.

https://www.thestranger.com/

If it's anything like StL's RFT, or KC's Pitch [and I bet it is], it hews to the hippy-dippy, wavy-gravy, but will give you good info on the food scene and what arts and culture stuff will be going on.

DJJasonp
04-20-2018, 11:03 AM
the market where they throw fish.......and a block from there is the original starbucks (if you're into that sort of thing).

If you're into music, you can check out EMP (Museum of Music, Sci-Fi, and Pop Culture).......I've been there and it's pretty cool.

KCUnited
04-20-2018, 11:20 AM
If you like beer:

Fremont
Reuben's
Holy Mountain
Cloudburst

Halfcan
04-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Mt. Ranier and Mt. Saint Helens are a must see.

Pikes market and the Space Needle are pretty cool as well.

Be prepared for rain-lots of it.

1 day in the city is enough to see it all- spend the rest in the beautiful mountains. Best hiking trails on the West Coast. St. Helens is still haunting after all of these years.

https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2015/6/8/washingtons-six-signature-mountains-are-waiting

scho63
04-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Don't hurt yourself stepping over all the bums and homeless hippies. I hear it's quite a scene.

Bewbies
04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
If you're into nature go up to the San Juan Islands and kayak with killer whales?

So much water and mountains in Seattle, love it.

Bearcat
04-20-2018, 11:50 AM
EMP/Museum of Pop Culture is pretty cool.

There's some really good Thai places (I can look up where I went if you're interested).

Olympic National Park is great for outdoorsy stuff.. hiked up Pyramid Peak, which has great views of a lake and a WWII lookout cabin on top.

Grab a bag of dicks.... er, Dick's.

Bewbies
04-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Mt. Ranier and Mt. Saint Helens are a must see.

Pikes market and the Space Needle are pretty cool as well.

Be prepared for rain-lots of it.

1 day in the city is enough to see it all- spend the rest in the beautiful mountains. Best hiking trails on the West Coast. St. Helens is still haunting after all of these years.

https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2015/6/8/washingtons-six-signature-mountains-are-waiting

It rains more in Boston and Nashville and Pittsburgh than it does in Seattle.

alpha_omega
04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
https://www.mopop.org

TrebMaxx
04-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Head to the east and check out Leavenworth. It's like being in Bavaria.

rtmike
04-20-2018, 12:49 PM
It rains more in Boston and Nashville and Pittsburgh than it does in Seattle.

That may be true. I’d rather have that then 24/7 drizzle weeks on end.

Randallflagg
04-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Been to Seattle on 3 different occasions and 12 months apart. Rained all 3 times. Just my opinionated "opinion" - but Seattle is a shit hole.

Unfortunately, I have to go back in August for a Cruise to Alaska. I'll be staying at the Hotel Theodore (was the Roosevelt). We plan on getting a driver from the Airport to the Hotel, spend the night and get the hell out of there the next day.

rtmike
04-20-2018, 12:55 PM
If you tire of Seattle, drive 150 miles south to the Vancouver/Portland area.

Multnomah Falls (Big fire in the gorge last summer). Everything’s prolly greened up by now.
If you go to mf, keep heading east to the Bonneville Damn. You can watch the fish running upstream behind a window. Also you can seee the “fish counter” in their little room.

Mt. St. Helens is a must. The sheer destruction of Mother Nature is life changing. It’s unreal up there if you’re into nature,etc.

80 miles to coast. In wa. we can drive on the beach.

Joe Seahawk
04-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Some things you cant miss? Bums in tents unfortunately.

if the weaher is nice which is pretty likely in early may, you might like an Argosy cruise of the Locks, you can see how the locks work and see the lake washington ship canal, fishermans terminal where many of the deadliest catch boats are and South lake union which has turned into Amazonia.

https://www.argosycruises.com/argosy-cruises/locks-cruise-2/?utm_source=AdMark_SEM&utm_campaign=Locks&utm_medium=Search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7fzdyMbJ2gIVgv5kCh1yJwWiEAAYASAAEgLMKvD_BwE

threebag
04-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Check out the markets at Pikes. Cool shops, one use to sell shrunken heads and other strange shit.

lewdog
04-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Pike Place Market (fish throwing)
Safeco for a game
Rock museum downtown
Olympic National park
Eat at Spud Fish and Chips which overlooks Alki Beach.

ping2000
04-20-2018, 01:36 PM
It's a Democrat city, so watch out for hobos and shit.

BigBeauford
04-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Hobos and shit don't move somewhere because it's a Democrat city. They move there because it's not some god forsaken shithole like Topeka,KS.

frozenchief
04-20-2018, 02:12 PM
I don't live in Seattle but I have an office there and I'm there about every other month or so.

Several people have talked about Museum of Pop Culture, which is a good recommendation. I would also suggest the Museum of Flight or the Art Museum. I also love the aquarium. They have a really cool Pacific Octopus exhibit. This is the Octopus that kept eating the sharks. They couldn't figure out where the sharks kept disappearing so they set up cameras and saw the Octopus eating them. Chihuly Garden has some fascinating glass. There are some museums near the Pop Culture Museum that I have read about but not seen. I did see the King Tut exhibit there when it came through the US a few years ago. This is down near the World's Fair park/pacific science center.

I've been to the top of the Space Needle and while the views are good, I wouldn't do it again. Seattle is one of the more interesting architectural cities. A few years ago my wife and I did a walking tour of Seattle architecture that was actually quite fascinating. Seattle's main public library, for example, gets a definite response. People either love it or hate it. Haven't been inside but have just seen it many times from the outside and I love it. A tour of Seattle underground is likewise informative and different.

Seattle also has some really good food. I prefer NW oysters to oysters from the Gulf of Mexico. They have a brinier, more mineral flavor. Gulf oysters taste flat and muddy to me. Elliott's on the waterfront has good oysters. The Walrus and Carpenter is also a good oyster house, but it's up in Ballard. Le Bateau is a great steakhouse. Well worth the price of admission, which can be steep. Crush has cutting edge food and wine. Wine tours are worth it for wineries just east of Seattle, including Chateau St. Michelle, a well-known winery. Pike Place Market, which is a sight worth seeing by itself, has lots of restaurants ranging from cheap to quality dining. Cafe Campagne right next to the market is a great French Bistro. Beecher's cheese headquarters is likewise down in that area. Pike Street brewing company in the market has a wide selection of beers and NW pub food. Try the Kilt Lifter Ale if you haven't had it before. Lark is another place serving contemporary American food that is quite excellent.

If you like cocktails, you have to go to Cannon Bar. I've never seen a bar with so many different kinds of liquor. Last time I was there, their liquor list went more than 120 pages. They have a wide variety of cocktails and if you don't see one you like, just tell the bartender what you do like and they'll make up something on the spot. Never had a bad drink there.

frozenchief
04-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Been to Seattle on 3 different occasions and 12 months apart. Rained all 3 times. Just my opinionated "opinion" - but Seattle is a shit hole.

Unfortunately, I have to go back in August for a Cruise to Alaska. I'll be staying at the Hotel Theodore (was the Roosevelt). We plan on getting a driver from the Airport to the Hotel, spend the night and get the hell out of there the next day.

Where you headed in Alaska? PM me and I will try to give you some recommendations. And if you don't want to stay downtown in Seattle, check out Cedarbrook Lodge, a 5 minute ride from the airport. Quiet and luxurious with a great restaurant. You won't feel like you are near the airport. I try to stay there if I'm just overnighting while waiting for flights.

If you're pretty set at the Theodore, that's right across the street from the Grand Hyatt where I usually stay. Seattle doesn't seem to have a lot of restaurants open late but there is one right across from the Hyatt. Dragonfish Cafe. They have a good bar and low priced food after 9:00. You might not have this issue but if I catch a plane at 5:30 from Anchorage, I won't get to the hotel until about 10:30 Seattle time and there isn't much open so I usually hop across the Street to Dragonfish. If you like Asian cuisine, you'll like Dragonfish.

alpha_omega
04-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Hobos and shit don't move somewhere because it's a Democrat city.

Correct.

They move there because it's not some god forsaken shithole like Topeka,KS.

Incorrect.

BigBeauford
04-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Correct.

Incorrect.

Does it really need explained why a homeless person would choose a place to live that has tolerable weather, higher amount of resources spent on said homeless people, and fewer amount of resources spent to persecuting this segment of the populatuon?

DTHOF
04-20-2018, 03:14 PM
I lived there for eight year and if you are into history they have a place called the underground. If you are into driving this is the time of the year when they have the tulip festival in Skagit Valley. Literally hundreds of acres of blooming tulips really cool.

BWillie
04-20-2018, 03:29 PM
If you're into nature go up to the San Juan Islands and kayak with killer whales?

So much water and mountains in Seattle, love it.

Yes we did that and went and saw the whales. You would be surprised how fun it is to see those bastards and their blowholes. If you are lucky maybe one will even flop out of the water and splash.

Baby Lee
04-20-2018, 03:33 PM

Hobos and shit don't move somewhere because it's a Democrat city. They move there because it's not some god forsaken shithole like Topeka,KS.

Does it really need explained why a homeless person would choose a place to live that has tolerable weather, higher amount of resources spent on said homeless people, and fewer amount of resources spent to persecuting this segment of the populatuon?

??

Boiled Chicken
04-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Gum wall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gum_Wall

Bewbies
04-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Yes we did that and went and saw the whales. You would be surprised how fun it is to see those bastards and their blowholes. If you are lucky maybe one will even flop out of the water and splash.

They were gone the day we were there. But all the seals, bald eagles, salmon and fried egg jelly fish made for an incredible day too.

Plus, what an absolutely beautiful place San Juan Island is...

Hydrae
04-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Haven't been there in nearly 30 years but enjoyed it when I lived in the NW. Seriously thinking of heading up there in December for the game. My brother is a huge Seahawks fan, it would be fun to go together!

BigBeauford
04-20-2018, 03:56 PM
??

You are telling me that a hobo's first thought is the political affiliation of said city, and not the factors that influence their survival? That's your question mark?

JimBaker48.8
04-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Gotta take a ride on one of the ferry boats preferably to Vancouver island
if you have time.
It doesn't really rain Seattle, just a delightful mist, not a real rain, but it's overcast/cloudy much of the time except during the summer.
Seattle is the only city I've every been in where you look around from downtown and you feel you are in the middle of a national park with the spectacular veiws of Mt Ranier and MT Olympus.

digger
04-20-2018, 04:32 PM
10 E 3rd Ave, Spokane, WA 99202 (https://www.facebook.com/dickshamburgers/)

http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/04/92/07/73/4920773-478718.jpg&w=400&sq=1&cb=0

Bugeater
04-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Go somewhere, anywhere, out of the city. Snoqualmie Falls, Deception Pass are both decent day trips.

And yes, Bag O' Dicks.

DaFace
04-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the recs, all. Definitely sounds like I should consider getting out of town for a day, so I'll check out the options!

kcpasco
04-20-2018, 05:12 PM
10 E 3rd Ave, Spokane, WA 99202 (https://www.facebook.com/dickshamburgers/)

http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/04/92/07/73/4920773-478718.jpg&w=400&sq=1&cb=0

I don’t think he wants to drive 4 hours for a burger. They are good though and I much prefer Spokane to Seattle.

Frosty
04-20-2018, 05:57 PM
I don’t think he wants to drive 4 hours for a burger. They are good though and I much prefer Spokane to Seattle.

Eh, what's a 600 mile round trip for a burger, right? But it's in Washington so it must have something to do with Seattle.

Randallflagg
04-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Where you headed in Alaska? PM me and I will try to give you some recommendations. And if you don't want to stay downtown in Seattle, check out Cedarbrook Lodge, a 5 minute ride from the airport. Quiet and luxurious with a great restaurant. You won't feel like you are near the airport. I try to stay there if I'm just overnighting while waiting for flights.

If you're pretty set at the Theodore, that's right across the street from the Grand Hyatt where I usually stay. Seattle doesn't seem to have a lot of restaurants open late but there is one right across from the Hyatt. Dragonfish Cafe. They have a good bar and low priced food after 9:00. You might not have this issue but if I catch a plane at 5:30 from Anchorage, I won't get to the hotel until about 10:30 Seattle time and there isn't much open so I usually hop across the Street to Dragonfish. If you like Asian cuisine, you'll like Dragonfish.

Yeah, we're set at the Theodore. We plan on dinner before we arrive. My former company has an office there, as well, and one of their drivers is picking us up at SeaTac. the AM Driver is going to come back in the morning to to give us a lift to the pier.

My Sister and BiL live in Anchorage and have since the 60s. He went up there to "make his fortune" on the pipeline and, as luck would have it, did. He owns a large construction company there. We've been up to see them a couple of times, but never on a Cruise. We're doing the Helicopter/Glacier/Dog Sledding at Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau, Whale Watching while in Skagway and Bear watching in Ketchikan. Got it pretty well planned out.

This trip is mainly for my Wife's "bucket list". She's never ridden in a helicopter (I've only been up about 300 times ;) ) and she has always wanted to see a Glacier and do some dog sledding. Been Whale watching in San Diego - didn't see a damned thing and the bears will be fishing while we're there, so, many, MANY pictures and Videos will be taken....

frozenchief
04-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Yeah, we're set at the Theodore. We plan on dinner before we arrive. My former company has an office there, as well, and one of their drivers is picking us up at SeaTac. the AM Driver is going to come back in the morning to to give us a lift to the pier.

My Sister and BiL live in Anchorage and have since the 60s. He went up there to "make his fortune" on the pipeline and, as luck would have it, did. He owns a large construction company there. We've been up to see them a couple of times, but never on a Cruise. We're doing the Helicopter/Glacier/Dog Sledding at Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau, Whale Watching while in Skagway and Bear watching in Ketchikan. Got it pretty well planned out.

This trip is mainly for my Wife's "bucket list". She's never ridden in a helicopter (I've only been up about 300 times ;) ) and she has always wanted to see a Glacier and do some dog sledding. Been Whale watching in San Diego - didn't see a damned thing and the bears will be fishing while we're there, so, many, MANY pictures and Videos will be taken....

Good job. You can also go bear watching from Anchorage. Go with Rust's flying service out of Lake Hood. Mendenhall is gorgeous but Skagway is one of a few placesI have never been. And there are a lot of breweries up here: you should get some great beer while here.

srvy
04-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the recs, all. Definitely sounds like I should consider getting out of town for a day, so I'll check out the options!

Honestly there is a lot to see in the City itself if you have a high threshold for beggars if you dont GTF outta there. I worked a month inside that City on pipeline work 10 hour days the panhandling never lets up. It is for people like that that Winchester invented the repeating arms rifle. The Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum is pretty cool along with other stuff mentioned in City proper. Good luck keep the cornhole puckered tight.

SuperBowl4
04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
STARBUCKS is a must!

TimBone
04-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Rain.

Joe Seahawk
04-20-2018, 10:03 PM
if you are looking to party a bit, (with a bunch of amazing restaurants) , go to old Ballard. Asadero if you dont mind waiting is excellent! also walrus and carpenter.

PM me if you go there. just tell uber or lyft ballard and they will know the hot spots

threebag
04-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Go check out a pier and grab a Ivar's fish and chips to eat. When out on the pier be sure to watch the Asians keep every crab they pull up with their basket regardless of the regulations. They crab in groups of like 10 or so.

Buzz Inn is a good place to eat, drink and play pull tabs

Stay away from Salty's on Alki Beach unless you like piss warm beer.

If you want a great Dinning experience check out Metropolitan Grill

There is a Popeye's in Fedral Way

MagicHef
04-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Eh, what's a 600 mile round trip for a burger, right? But it's in Washington so it must have something to do with Seattle.

Also, there's a Dick's in Seattle.
http://www.ddir.com/locations/

I'd definitely suggest getting out of town. San Juan Islands, Deception Pass, Port Townsend, Bainbridge Island, and Mount Rainier are all pretty fantastic. In late May you have a 50% chance that the weather will be beautiful.

Frosty
04-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Also, there's a Dick's in Seattle.
http://www.ddir.com/locations/

Those aren't actually related to the one in Spokane that the OP linked to. The Spokane one is funnier because of the "buy them by the bagful" on the Dick's sign.

But, yes - if DaFace wants Dick's, he can get them in Seattle.

JD10367
04-21-2018, 12:11 AM
Spent a day there after a cruise. Did the market, Space Needle, and underground tour. Stayed downtown at the Mayflower Park, nice hotel with a great central location (walk to market, monorail to Space Needle, train system as well).

Rain Man
04-21-2018, 01:21 AM
Rain.

Yes?

patteeu
04-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Make sure you check out Starbucks, Costco, Microsoft, and Amazon.com.

rocknrolla
04-21-2018, 08:15 PM
one of the greatest record stores.
https://easystreetonline.com/

threebag
04-21-2018, 10:09 PM
I thought Tower Records was the greatest

BWillie
04-21-2018, 10:16 PM
I rode that big ass ferris wheel and then fed this really fat rat a Monster Energy Drink. I have a picture of it somewhere. He just was guzzling that caffeine right by me, no qualm whatsoever.

Baby Lee
04-21-2018, 10:30 PM
one of the greatest record stores.
https://easystreetonline.com/

I thought Tower Records was the greatest

Neither are Vintage Vinyl.

https://www.vintagevinyl.com/

Bit of trivia, behind spoilers since it isn't germaine to the thread

Before it was a world class record store, Vintage Vinyl's building was a cinema that showed underground and arthouse movies way back in the day.

Here's a vintage clip of some kids going to see Rocky Horror there, and the guy being interviewed is who you think he is.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nvG6LeGWU2g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
04-22-2018, 04:27 AM
Neither are Vintage Vinyl.

https://www.vintagevinyl.com/

Bit of trivia, behind spoilers since it isn't germaine to the thread

Before it was a world class record store, Vintage Vinyl's building was a cinema that showed underground and arthouse movies way back in the day.

Here's a vintage clip of some kids going to see Rocky Horror there, and the guy being interviewed is who you think he is.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nvG6LeGWU2g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was my favorite store when I lived in U City in the 80s. It was in a smaller space at the other end of the loop then.

38yrsfan
04-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Get the City Pass. It has a variety of attractions to see and you get a discount. Fun place to visit, we've been many times.

banecat
04-22-2018, 07:22 AM
Those aren't actually related to the one in Spokane that the OP linked to. The Spokane one is funnier because of the "buy them by the bagful" on the Dick's sign.

But, yes - if DaFace wants Dick's, he can get them in Seattle.

Is the one in Seattle similar enough to the one in Spokanimal Farm to the point where the burgers are really inexpensive, and yet decent quality?

Frazod
04-22-2018, 01:49 PM
I don't know if you get Smithsonian Channel or not, but they're airing a show on Seattle tonight. That might give you some ideas.

DaFace
04-22-2018, 02:58 PM
I don't know if you get Smithsonian Channel or not, but they're airing a show on Seattle tonight. That might give you some ideas.

:thumb:

Marcellus
04-22-2018, 05:04 PM
If you tire of Seattle, drive 150 miles south to the Vancouver/Portland area.

Multnomah Falls (Big fire in the gorge last summer). Everything’s prolly greened up by now.
If you go to mf, keep heading east to the Bonneville Damn. You can watch the fish running upstream behind a window. Also you can seee the “fish counter” in their little room.

Mt. St. Helens is a must. The sheer destruction of Mother Nature is life changing. It’s unreal up there if you’re into nature,etc.

80 miles to coast. In wa. we can drive on the beach.

All of this. My brother lived in Vancouver WA for 5 years and we made 3 trips to that area.

We went to Seattle on a trip up there years ago and plan to never go back. The Space Needle is cool and the rest of it is bleh.

The Columbia River Gorge is another story. Absolutely fantastic area.
Multnomah Falls is fantastic.

CaliforniaChief
04-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Don't forget to sleep.

threebag
04-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Don't forget to sleep.

Can't sleep the clowns will eat him

Sfeihc
04-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Visit the Japanese Garden.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

T-post Tom
04-22-2018, 11:41 PM
https://www.ste-michelle.com/

http://www.stoupbrewing.com/

http://toronadoseattle.com/

http://flintcreekseattle.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2JR6xYDztaM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SuperBowl4
04-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Take the ferry over to Bainebridge Island

MahiMike
04-23-2018, 12:11 PM
We climbed a mountain out there. 80 at the bottom, snow at the top. About a 4 hour walk.

DaFace
05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
So just to report back:
MOPOP - Lots of fun if you're into Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror. They have a Marvel exhibit right now, and it was really cool to see all of the costumes up close.
Museum of Flight - Obviously depends on what you're into, but getting to wander around inside a Conchorde, the first 747, etc. is pretty sweet.
Fremont Brewing - Nice to get out of the urban core a bit. Also wandered over to Gas Works Park, which was a cool view of the city and a very unique green space. The Fremont Troll is weird.
Pike Place Market - Fun to see all the shops. I don't really get the fish throwing thing, though. Seems to serve no purpose other than drawing in tourists. The gum wall is more gross than anything.
Original Starbucks - No way am I standing in a line like that for a cup of coffee I could get basically anywhere.
Chihuly - Crazy cool glass art. They also had a glass blowing demo while we were there, which was fun.
Bums - I didn't really see many. Those of you obsessed with that clearly haven't been to Denver.
Clipper Vacations whale tour - All day event. Saw a couple grey whales and some minkes, but no orcas. May be a little early in the season for that. It was fun to get out and see some of the land to the northwest, though, and Friday Harbor is a quaint little town that was fun to wander in for a couple hours.

We weren't terribly adventurous with restaurants so, while everything we had was good, nothing was crazy amazing. Top Pot donuts were tasty, and the Biscuit Bitch was hilarious and delicious. We also didn't do any hiking while we were there mostly because it's hard to imagine it being wildly better than what we do on a regular basis here in Colorado. Perhaps another trip.

The end.

Bearcat
05-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Bums - I didn't really see many. Those of you obsessed with that clearly haven't been to Denver.

Funny story about a Seattle bum (well, it was at least amusing at the time).... listening to my iPod while walking back to a hotel and some guy on a corner asks me a question. I take my ear buds out and he asks again, and I couldn't understand what he was saying at all (considering his lack of teeth and all).... so, I say 'what's that?' and he annoyingly enunciates "do... you... need... a place... to... smoke... crack?"

I wanted to ask several questions, like if it was BYOC or if I was just paying to use the place... but, politely declined.

Randallflagg
05-03-2018, 11:14 AM
So just to report back:
MOPOP - Lots of fun if you're into Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror. They have a Marvel exhibit right now, and it was really cool to see all of the costumes up close.
Museum of Flight - Obviously depends on what you're into, but getting to wander around inside a Conchorde, the first 747, etc. is pretty sweet.
Fremont Brewing - Nice to get out of the urban core a bit. Also wandered over to Gas Works Park, which was a cool view of the city and a very unique green space. The Fremont Troll is weird.
Pike Place Market - Fun to see all the shops. I don't really get the fish throwing thing, though. Seems to serve no purpose other than drawing in tourists. The gum wall is more gross than anything.
Original Starbucks - No way am I standing in a line like that for a cup of coffee I could get basically anywhere.
Chihuly - Crazy cool glass art. They also had a glass blowing demo while we were there, which was fun.
Clipper Vacations whale tour - All day event. Saw a couple grey whales and some minkes, but no orcas. May be a little early in the season for that. It was fun to get out and see some of the land to the northwest, though, and Friday Harbor is a quaint little town that was fun to wander in for a couple hours.

We weren't terribly adventurous with restaurants so, while everything we had was good, nothing was crazy amazing. Top Pot donuts were tasty, and the Biscuit Bitch was hilarious and delicious. We also didn't do any hiking while we were there mostly because it's hard to imagine it being wildly better than what we do on a regular basis here in Colorado. Perhaps another trip.

The end.

My Driver, when I was in Seattle told me that the company directs him to stay away from Pioneer Square - I guess that's where a lot of them hang out, piss in the street, you get the drift..And yes, I've (unfortunately) been to Denver on multiple occasions. What the hell did you folks allow to happen to that city? My God but it has turned into a shithole. The 16 Street Mall is nasty, dangerous and an embarrassment to your city. If I recall correctly, the last time I "HAD" to go to Downtown - there were actually port-a-potties in the alleys.

Jesus....Oh yeah, and the signs that read "Be sure to lock your car and take any valuables"

That's really good for tourism. But aside - why doesn't your "Mayor" just run them the hell out of Denver and back to Kalifornia?

Randallflagg
05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Funny story about a Seattle bum (well, it was at least amusing at the time).... listening to my iPod while walking back to a hotel and some guy on a corner asks me a question. I take my ear buds out and he asks again, and I couldn't understand what he was saying at all (considering his lack of teeth and all).... so, I say 'what's that?' and he annoyingly enunciates "do... you... need... a place... to... smoke... crack?"

I wanted to ask several questions, like if it was BYOC or if I was just paying to use the place... but, politely declined.

I was a student at University of Louisville (back in the 70s) an I was sitting in my car at a White Castle (yeah, I know - but they were cheap) eating a burger and this bum comes up to the window and asks me if I can spare a burger. I said "What the hell" and gave him one. I had three. He swallows it in one gulp (they aren't that big) and says "Can I have another one?"

I threw open the car door and chased him for about 25 yards...... LMAO

DaFace
05-03-2018, 11:43 AM
My Driver, when I was in Seattle told me that the company directs him to stay away from Pioneer Square - I guess that's where a lot of them hang out, piss in the street, you get the drift..And yes, I've (unfortunately) been to Denver on multiple occasions. What the hell did you folks allow to happen to that city? My God but it has turned into a shithole. The 16 Street Mall is nasty, dangerous and an embarrassment to your city. If I recall correctly, the last time I "HAD" to go to Downtown - there were actually port-a-potties in the alleys.

Jesus....Oh yeah, and the signs that read "Be sure to lock your car and take any valuables"

That's really good for tourism. But aside - why doesn't your "Mayor" just run them the hell out of Denver and back to Kalifornia?

No one's a fan of having a bunch of homeless people all over the place, but when you're experiencing the rapid population growth we are right now, it's tough to keep up. It's compounded by people moving here who don't have jobs and are just wanting to live somewhere that's awesome. (Legal weed doesn't hurt in bringing people either.)

And while it's a nuisance, it's clear at this point that our tourism and visitation aren't being hurt - both are climbing so fast right now we can barely keep up.

And finally, the safety issue (like most safety issues) is way overblown. If you're uncomfortable telling a bum to fuck off, sure, but it's not like people are getting mugged all over the place.

Bewbies
05-03-2018, 12:08 PM
So just to report back:

The end.

Friday Harbor is awesome. I absolutely love the San Juan's.

tooge
05-03-2018, 01:04 PM
I've heard there are some pretty cool rock bands doing this grungy rock thing. You can check them out at little bars. I've heard good things about Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, and several others. Buy some ratty flannel shirts and go check them out.

Oh, and there is some joint where you order fish and they throw it around behind the counter. Or something like that

Ebolapox
05-03-2018, 01:28 PM
ooh, one could go to the place where that one season (with Puck) of Real World took place...

edit: wrong city, that'd be San Fran

Randallflagg
05-03-2018, 02:37 PM
No one's a fan of having a bunch of homeless people all over the place, but when you're experiencing the rapid population growth we are right now, it's tough to keep up. It's compounded by people moving here who don't have jobs and are just wanting to live somewhere that's awesome. (Legal weed doesn't hurt in bringing people either.)

And while it's a nuisance, it's clear at this point that our tourism and visitation aren't being hurt - both are climbing so fast right now we can barely keep up.

And finally, the safety issue (like most safety issues) is way overblown. If you're uncomfortable telling a bum to **** off, sure, but it's not like people are getting mugged all over the place.

I recall talking to one of our clients in Denver about something along those lines. We were having lunch (4-5 years ago) and he told me that "If weed was made "legal", it would be the downfall of Colorado"

I scoffed, saying that it wouldn't be that bad. Looks as though I was wrong and he was right.

I heard that he moved to Wyoming after he retired. Jackson, I believe.

As for people moving to Colorado because it is "awesome" - you are correct. Colorado IS awesome. As long as you're not in Denver. :) There are parts of Colorado that (literally) take your breath away. But in Denver? I was afraid to breathe...... :)

ping2000
05-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Bums, donk fans, same thing.