PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sean Payton: Saints would have taken Mahomes over Watson

Dante84
04-23-2018, 05:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/sean-payton-if-chiefs-had-taken-marshon-lattimore-we-would-have-taken-patrick-mahomes/

Saints coach Sean Payton recently peeled the curtain back with his thoughts on the 2018 quarterback class. On Monday, he gave a candid assessment of last year’s quarterback class.

Payton told Dan Patrick that, if cornerback Marshon Lattimore had been taken at pick No. 10, the Saints would have taken quarterback Patrick Mahomes at pick No. 11. The eyebrow-raising aspect of that comment comes from the fact that, at No. 11, the Saints could have had quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Payton also explained that, if both Mahomes and Lattimore had both been on the board, Payton and the Saints would have still taken Lattimore. (Some would say Payton has no choice but to say that.) So maybe if Lattimore and Mahomes had been taken, the pick would have been Watson.

Regardless, Payton’s comments show that: (1) the Saints were thinking about drafting a Drew Brees replacement in 2017; (2) the Saints would have taken Mahomes if he’d been on the board (and Lattimore hadn’t); and (3) the Saints regarded Mahomes as better than Watson.

We’ve seen what Watson can do. And we now know that two of the best quarterback coaches in the league — Payton and Chiefs coach Andy Reid — preferred Mahomes to Watson. Which suggests that maybe Mahomes will be the real deal.

Payton made another interesting observation during his spot with DP; Payton said that up to 20 teams would re-do their first-round pick from last year, that a few don’t know yet, and that roughly eight would do it all over again.

That’s an important reality to keep in mind as the first round of the 2018 draft approaches. Especially if any of the top quarterbacks are still on the board when the Saints are on the clock.

Bewbies
04-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Mahomes was their pick. News on that broke the night of the draft.

Good consolation prize they got though...

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Based on most of the info we’ve been given in the past year, O’Brien, Arians, Carroll, and McAdoo were all high on him too.. those teams were said to have really loved him, anyways.

I still bet that if O’Brien was being honest, he’d rather have Mahomes long term.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Houston's war room was hilarious

Easy 6
04-23-2018, 06:00 PM
'I gotta be honest with you, you're the talk of all my buddies around the league'... John Gruden on Pat Mahomes

Oh yeah, we got the steal of the decade... sorry all you other suckers

MotherfuckerJones
04-23-2018, 06:08 PM

It was so somber

Red Dawg
04-23-2018, 06:11 PM
I would have as well. Watson has a weak arm and has flame out written all over him. Mahomes has the big arm, work ethic and the family background to keep him on the right path.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2018, 06:12 PM
It’s entirely possible Watson was a good pick too. No shame in picking him.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2018, 06:14 PM

Durability was and remains my biggest concern for him.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Agreed. He doesn’t have the arm that Mahomes has obviously, but it’s good enough and he’s proven he can make some plays. I do think now that teams have film on him his play will regress some this year.

Simply Red
04-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Q isn't it?

Simply Red
04-23-2018, 06:19 PM
yeah I'm going to Q you out Dante - you seem nice though.

Bowser
04-23-2018, 06:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/sean-payton-if-chiefs-had-taken-marshon-lattimore-we-would-have-taken-patrick-mahomes/

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGppJZwCFgEeP1xS/giphy.gif

Dante84
04-23-2018, 06:48 PM
yeah I'm going to Q you out Dante - you seem nice though.

Oh damn, didn’t see a thread for it?

If it was inside a megathread, I’m thorry I’m not thorry.

Simply Red
04-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Oh damn, didn’t see a thread for it?

If it was inside a megathread, I’m thorry I’m not thorry.

I know - you shouldn't be hun. I love you.

KChiefs1
04-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Well duh.

Dante84
04-23-2018, 08:15 PM
I know - you shouldn't be hun. I love you.

Marry me yesterday

Titty Meat
04-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Except nobody was saying that this time last year and a number of posters made up shit because of arm velocity as if this was baseball.

COchief
04-23-2018, 09:40 PM
I'm sick of everyone in the media/NFL worshiping Watson's statistically impressive mini streak. He is built like a slightly taller Bridgewater and what a surprise had a practice non contact leg injury already end his only NFL season. He came into an established offense with weapons, had zero NFL tape, and managed to put together an impressive string of games no doubt. However, once the tape is out things tend to become very different when the unknown becomes the known. Put together a respectable full NFL season without your legs breaking and I'll pay attention.

I would say the general feeling on Mahomes here is tempered considering his preseason and only start, generally "we'll see" but most are hoping what we've seen translates before going crazy, Watson seems to have already been minted a surefire HOF off 6 starts with no tape and his broken chicken leg. Everyone knows they wanted Mahomes and panicked and traded when we snubbed them.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-23-2018, 09:45 PM

We don't need another of your dumb threads

O.city
04-23-2018, 10:04 PM
Except nobody was saying that this time last year and a number of posters made up shit because of arm velocity as if this was baseball.

Becauw velocity matters?

Look at the picks he threw

rico
04-23-2018, 10:20 PM
I can’t waiy until Watson fades into Bolivian!!!!

chiefforlife
04-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Watson put up some amazing numbers in his short debut, lets be honest. I love Mahomes and hope he is everything we have ever wished for but lets not dis Watson. He was clearly a huge improvement for Houston.

BlackOp
04-24-2018, 12:16 AM
Watson put up some amazing numbers in his short debut, lets be honest. I love Mahomes and hope he is everything we have ever wished for but lets not dis Watson. He was clearly a huge improvement for Houston.

I'll have to wait on an onion about him....he seemed like his numbers were built on bombs. Like you said..once tape is out, teams will take that away.

He's better than the shit-show they had before....but I haven't seen anything that is as impressive as Mahomes.

KC made the right choice...Mahomes is a bonafide future-star.

BryanBusby
04-24-2018, 12:23 AM
It was gimmicky football with varied levels of success. If they can nail it down for long term success, hey fuck if it works it works.

A month long stretch of throwing it up for grabs isn't a long-term buy in right now. If Mahomes played the same way with sustainable results and January success than I wouldn't give a shit.

Basileus777
04-24-2018, 02:23 AM
Watson's inaccuracy is never going to make him the QB that coaches really want. He's just not in the mold of what they want out of the position.

rico
04-24-2018, 05:43 AM
Watson's inaccuracy is never going to make him the QB that coaches really want. He's just not in the mold of what they want out of the position.

Some of the throws he made last year were wobble-launchers that were completed because somehow Hopkins or whoever just totally bailed him out. Every time I watched him, he was lucky as hell.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
04-24-2018, 05:56 AM
Agreed. He doesn’t have the arm that Mahomes has obviously, but it’s good enough and he’s proven he can make some plays. I do think now that teams have film on him his play will regress some this year.

Sounds like a younger version of Alex Smith, Houston can have him, we already saw that movie!

pugsnotdrugs19
04-24-2018, 06:14 AM

I literally was saying that exact thing. I saw a video of him power cleaning at Clemson over a year ago that screamed chronic knee issues.

RippedmyFlesh
04-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Some of the throws he made last year were wobble-launchers that were completed because somehow Hopkins or whoever just totally bailed him out. Every time I watched him, he was lucky as hell.

You know what though when I watched him in college was same thing with watkins maybe he's just lucky.
I thought watkins made watson the way bowe made russell which is why I always wanted watkins.

WhiteWhale
04-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a younger version of Alex Smith, Houston can have him, we already saw that movie!

Who seems like a younger version of Smith?

Watson?

Dude threw 19 TD's in seven games.

It took a young Alex Smith 32 games to throw 19 TD's.

One of these things is not like the other.

jjchieffan
04-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Who seems like a younger version of Smith?

Watson?

Dude threw 19 TD's in seven games.

It took a young Alex Smith 32 games to throw 19 TD's.

One of these things is not like the other.

Haha! Yep. Watson was chucking up hail Mays left and right. Smith is too risk adverse for that style of play.

OKchiefs
04-24-2018, 11:01 AM
I want Watson to fail almost as much as I want Mahomes to succeed.

KChiefs1
04-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Watson was chucking up Hail Mary’s left and right.

Checkout his TD’s from last season.

https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g
can Seattle.
https://youtu.be/h8whfk84QdA

ChiefGator
04-24-2018, 11:49 AM
I don't understand the Watson hatred really... he has already out-performed his expectations and looks like he could be really good for quite a while in that offense.

I'm happy with Mahomes, but hold no ill will to Watson.

Randallflagg
04-24-2018, 12:49 PM
'I gotta be honest with you, you're the talk of all my buddies around the league'... John Gruden on Pat Mahomes

Oh yeah, we got the steal of the decade... sorry all you other suckers

I think that kid is going to be special - REAL special. Why? raw talent is through the roof, but there is another "factor" (at least in my books). He comes from Pro stock. Nothing is a "surprise" to the kid.

He was raised to understand what to do and, more importantly, what not to do.

Sort of Peyton and Eli type of stock.

I see great things with this guy! PBJ

wazu
04-24-2018, 12:54 PM
I don't understand the Watson hatred really... he has already out-performed his expectations and looks like he could be really good for quite a while in that offense.

I'm happy with Mahomes, but hold no ill will to Watson.

I would’ve been leaping and cheering in front of my TV for either pick. Slightly favored Mahomes, but Watson looked like a superstar last year.

rtmike
04-24-2018, 01:31 PM

My wife asked me why I had a screen saver of a bunch of dudes on the verge of crying.
Simply replied, “you wouldn’t understand”.

The last team anyone would expect to trade up in the 1st round for a QB, lol.
I wonder if that was ever even mentioned?

Minion: “WHAT IF KANSAS CITY TRADES UP?”
Rick: “Nonsense. Get him out of here with that garbage.”