PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Worst draft since the Vermeil days?

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 04:08 PM
I am no draft expert but it seems like most picks were WTF picks for several reasons from incredible reaches to questionable positional needs.

Wondering what everyone is thinking about Veach now??

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:11 PM
This was his practice draft, next year will be his real draft.

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 04:11 PM
There is quite literally nothing to base that opinion on

The only true head scratcher was McKenzie

Bwana
04-28-2018, 04:12 PM
LMAO

TRR
04-28-2018, 04:13 PM
I am no draft expert but it seems like most picks were WTF picks for several reasons from incredible reaches to questionable positional needs.

Did I miss the entire 2018 season? How did Mahomes first season go?

Deberg_1990

Ill let you know in 3 years.........

Chief Northman
All I know is this: BPA is an absolute lie told by ALL GM’s.

I don’t mind the players Veach selected so much, it was the fact he traded up three times to get guys that arguably would have been there at the original pick slots. You can’t convince me Speaks and Mckenzie would be gone before KC selected them (unless Reggie was a big homer and took his son). We lost draft capital in the form of two extra potential roster players that you don’t have to get into a bidding war for.

Simply Red
04-28-2018, 04:20 PM
we'll be fine.

ChiTown
04-28-2018, 04:21 PM
Worst post since the last time someone prematurely posted “this is the worst draft since....”

New World Order
04-28-2018, 04:22 PM
2009 was worse than any Vermeil draft.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Butt fucking moron planet

BigRedChief
04-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Many people including me thought King Carl and Dorsey were great at one time. We shall see if it was a dud or not. In a few years.

ILChief
04-28-2018, 04:29 PM
This was never going to be a sexy draft. This was about getting tougher on defense.

Frosty
04-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Same shit, different year

-King-
04-28-2018, 04:31 PM
It's funny watching people act like they know WTF they're talking about draft wise after the first round. After that it's a crapshoot for the people paid millions to make the decisions. Yet people think they know more than them just because they watched a few YouTube videos and read some draft guides.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Print’em we’re in like flint.

Bob Dole
04-28-2018, 04:32 PM
OMG WITH SMITH GONE I HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO CRY ABOUT!!!

Some people just choose to be miserable.

Simplicity
04-28-2018, 04:36 PM
They haven’t even started played a snap of an NFL game yet... Ask this question in 2-3 years. Bunch of idiots on this board.

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Someone seems to know a lot about being miserable.

kccrow
04-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Bunch of people that don't' follow the draft for 2 minutes a year commenting on how someone is stupid for asking this question? That's retardplanet right there.

Based on where the people that make their living projecting players had these guys rated, Veach reached on every single pick and quite heavily.

As to whether or not this will be a bad draft? We'll see in a few years. I don't think it'll be bad overall. I like Speaks, Nnadi, Watts, and Smith quite a bit actually. I think he took a handful of players with mostly defined roles, but I think Speaks and Nnadi, and maybe Watts, have a good shot at being starters down the road.

BigCatDaddy
04-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Worst thread since the Vermiel days?

Titty Meat
04-28-2018, 04:44 PM
MOTHER FUCK YOU VEACH

Frosty
04-28-2018, 04:45 PM
It's funny watching people act like they know WTF they're talking about draft wise after the first round. After that it's a crapshoot for the people paid millions to make the decisions. Yet people think they know more than them just because they watched a few YouTube videos and read some draft guides.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really enjoy all of the draft talk here before the actual draft, even the epic fights like the Mark Sanchez vs Aaron Curry one (LOL) but some people get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too invested in "their" guys. Then the actual draft turns into a bitchfest because their guys didn't get picked.

dlphg9
04-28-2018, 04:46 PM
Draft time shows how stupid this place can be

Deberg_1990
04-28-2018, 04:46 PM
They haven’t even started played a snap of an NFL game yet... Ask this question in 2-3 years. Bunch of idiots on this board.

Its been this way for years. Basically, if they didnt pick the 'guy' you wanted or expected, the draft sucked.

Marcellus
04-28-2018, 04:47 PM
CR starting this thread immediately leads me to believe this is the Chiefs best draft ever.

Frosty
04-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Based on where the people that make their living projecting players had these guys rated, Veach reached on every single pick and quite heavily.

Like Mel Kiper having a 2nd round grade on Tyrell Crosby only to have him go in the middle of the 5th?

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:51 PM
It’ll be hard for this draft to ever be topped.

True fan

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Bunch of people that don't' follow the draft for 2 minutes a year commenting on how someone is stupid for asking this question? That's retardplanet right there.

As to whether or not this will be a bad draft? We'll see in a few years. I don't think it'll be bad overall. I like Speaks, Nnadi, Watts, and Smith quite a bit actually. I think he took a handful of players with mostly defined roles, but I think Speaks and Nnadi, and maybe Watts, have a good shot at being starters down the road.

So you actually like most of the picks, and see how they fit into what the team is aiming for... but find people who think the op is needlessly negative to be ill informed knee jerks?

That doesnt make any sense, dude... sorry, but 'worst draft since the Vermeil days?' is just plain old dumb

Lets at least see who shines and who flops in camp before asking such crazy questions

Baby Lee
04-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Meh, at this point I'm in Missouri [Show Me] Mode.

Enough trying to divine secret genius or undercover blueprints.

We ascended from the cellar to playoff contenders, and decided big changes were still needed.

Now, the only acceptable result is results. And results are only measured by wins and losses. And wins and losses only occur during the season and postseason.

staylor26
04-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Now that fucking matters to fit your narrative?

:facepalm:

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Word down

kccrow
04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Like Mel Kiper having a 2nd round grade on Tyrell Crosby only to have him go in the middle of the 5th?

He's not the only one. Most of the draftnik community had a 2nd-3rd round grade on Crosby.

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 04:59 PM
That might of been discussing his talent at being a Laser Safety Officer. Just saying, sometimes we never know.

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2018, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Check back in three years...

kccrow
04-28-2018, 05:02 PM
So you actually like most of the picks, and see how they fit into what the team is aiming for... but find people who think the op is needlessly negative to be ill informed knee jerks?

That doesnt make any sense, dude... sorry, but 'worst draft since the Vermeil days?' is just plain old dumb

Lets at least see who shines and who flops in camp before asking such crazy questions

I don't find it dumb that one guy thinks it's a terrible draft. I don't think he's alone in that opinion. I see where he's coming from because of the opinions of several highly thought of draftniks who successfully rank these players every year.

I do find it dumb for a bunch of people that don't even follow the draft to find it dumb for him to have that opinion.

Do I agree it's too premature? Yes, without a doubt.

I don't agree with how Veach approached this draft either, but I'm going to give it a couple years before I bitch about it (or call Veach a genius).

One thing I didn't expect KC to do was come away with a handful of starters, but I think Veach may have found 2 and a couple really solid role players. If that happens then this draft will be successful.

kccrow
04-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Oh look, the resident idiot staylor replied to one of my posts, how nice.

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 05:07 PM
I don't find it dumb that one guy thinks it's a terrible draft. I don't think he's alone in that opinion. I see where he's coming from because of the opinions of several highly thought of draftniks who successfully rank these players every year.

I do find it dumb for a bunch of people that don't even follow the draft to find it dumb for him to have that opinion.

Do I agree it's too premature? Yes, without a doubt.

I don't agree with how Veach approached this draft either, but I'm going to give it a couple years before I bitch about it (or call Veach a genius).

One thing I didn't expect KC to do was come away with a handful of starters, but I think Veach may have found 2 and a couple really solid role players. If that happens then this draft will be successful.

With all due respect... I certainly find it dumb to compare a draft that just ended about 20 minutes ago, to the worst drafting regime ever to blow into KC

We'll all begin to have a clue during camp, until then its pointless to dog this draft

staylor26
04-28-2018, 05:08 PM
A week ago the draft pundits were “jackasses” and their projections didn’t meant jack shit, now if you pick a guy that they had going later it’s 100% a reach?

You can’t make this shit up.

Frosty
04-28-2018, 05:09 PM
He's not the only one. Most of the draftnik community had a 2nd-3rd round grade on Crosby.

The point is that these guys that you are drawing on are clearly making educated guesses, partly based on info (and mis-info) from scouts but you are appealing to their authority to fit your narrative that Veach reached on most of his picks. We, as casual fans, have no earthly idea of the truth but we hear this "reach" shit every.fucking. year. And it's getting tiresome.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2018, 05:10 PM
A week ago the draft pundits were “jackasses” and their projections didn’t meant jack shit, now if you pick a guy that they had going later it’s 100% a reach?

You can’t make this shit up.

But, but, but do you read some scrub from Minnesotas blogs?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Crow made a homemade big board and is crying that paid pros didn't follow it....again

keg in kc
04-28-2018, 05:13 PM
I don't remember any KC draft like this. They identified players they wanted, didn't believe they'd be available when the Chiefs were on the board, and actually moved aggressively to get them. Much like the Mahomes selection last year, but spread out. The player's ratings by Mayock or ESPN or random websites or whether or not anybody here knows them means absolutely nothing. Draft rankings today or tomorrow mean absolutely nothing. It's absolutely impossible to characterize this weekend's draft as a success or a failure now, or for at least a couple of years from now. That's just people talking to hear the sound of their own voice. But as far as draft philosophy goes, I absolutely love the approach. This is how we should do the draft. In my opinion. For what that's worth.

Whether or not I agree with the names they took, well, I'm not really qualified. But I liked the approach, and if their ability to grade these players matches what it's been recently, it should pay dividends. Identify who you want, and then get them.

My guess is that, like the last few years, we'll later learn that other teams valued our guys, too. The fact that Mel Kiper didn't know that, much less some guy on the internet, just means that teams are doing a better job of laying smokescreens. At least once you get past the obvious early picks.

Frosty
04-28-2018, 05:14 PM
I don't remember any KC draft like this. They identified players they wanted, didn't believe they'd be available when the Chiefs were on the board, and actually moved aggressively to get them. Much like the Mahomes selection last year, but spread out. The player's ratings by Mayock or ESPN or random websites or whether or not anybody here knows them means absolutely nothing. Draft rankings today or tomorrow mean absolutely nothing. It's absolutely impossible to characterize this weekend's draft as a success or a failure now, or for at least a couple of years from now. That's just people talking to hear the sound of their own voice. But as far as draft philosophy goes, I absolutely love the approach. This is how we should do the draft. In my opinion. For what that's worth.

Whether or not I agree with the names they took, well, I'm not really qualified. But I liked the approach, and if their ability to grade these players matches what it's been recently, it should pay dividends. Identify who you want, and then get them.

My guess is that, like the last few years, we'll later learn that other teams valued our guys, too. The fact that Mel Kiper didn't know that, much less some guy on the internet, just means that teams are doing a better job of laying smokescreens. At least once you get past the obvious early picks.

I wish I could thumbs up this post 100 times.

Messier
04-28-2018, 05:15 PM
Draft boards created by fans mean nothing. When draft experts have a guy as a 2nd round pick and he goes in the 6th or 7th. He didn't "fall", he went where he was always going to go, the draft experts were just wrong. That happens a lot.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Did I miss the entire 2018 season? How did Mahomes first season go?

What does that have to do with the draft that just happened? That after all is what this thread was started about.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Most fans, draftbators and analysts had the Chiefs drafting heavy on defense, which we did, but mostly DBs not mostly front 7.
I am with you in that only time will tell, but it seems Veach/Reid had a different view on what the team needs were versus most everyone else in the football world. They should know better than anyone else and we will soon find out.

staylor26
04-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Most fans, draftbators and analysts had the Chiefs drafting heavy on defense, which we did, but mostly DBs not mostly front 7.
I am with you in that only time will tell, but it seems Veach/Reid had a different view on what the team needs were versus most everyone else in the football world. They should know better than anyone else and we will soon find out.

Only ****ing idiots thought this was an either/or scenario. Did you see the fucking playoff game?

We needed front 7 AND DB’s. You can’t build the entire defense overnight (especially without a 1st). Even then, we still managed to get two though, so it’s even more baffling that some of you are so unhappy with it.

BigRedChief
04-28-2018, 05:26 PM
I wish I could thumbs up this post 100 times.

Fuck l fat thumbed the neg one. Why can’t you change it? Anyway....... fantastic post by Keg in KC. :clap:

staylor26
04-28-2018, 05:27 PM
After free agency:

“But what about the defense?”

Afte the draft:

“We went ALL defense and I’m still not happy!”

Bewbies
04-28-2018, 05:28 PM
If you’re building a defense around what you think our offense will be you do it in the front 7, not the back 4.

Shut the run down, pin ears back and hit the QB once you’re ahead. These things don’t happen from the back 4.

Don’t know how the picks will turn out, but I’m a big fan of the direction they’re headed in. Good, smart strategy.

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 05:34 PM
**** l fat thumbed the neg one. Why can’t you change it? Anyway....... fantastic post by Keg in KC. :clap:

Oh for Petes sake not again, Gilligan *harumph*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZnSHRmf3F5Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
04-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Not even one snap in the NFL and your calling it. WTF

FloridaMan88
04-28-2018, 05:37 PM
I am no draft expert

Agreed.

bigjosh
04-28-2018, 05:41 PM
The butthurt is flowing hard here.

Solid draft. If even a couple of the picks pan out (which is all you can usually hope for anyway) then we bolstered the weakest part of our team. (Trenches)

To me is looks like we got at least 3 first year contributors on defense and 1phenomonal special teamer.

kccrow
04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Crow made a homemade big board and is crying that paid pros didn't follow it....again

Do you have a 0.02 IQ? I'm not crying about it. I'm not bitching about it at all. When did I even insinuate that they didn't follow "my board?"

What I'm saying is if someone has an opinion that this may be a bad draft, he's entitled to it. Information from the draftnik community as a whole suggest Veach reached.

I haven't offered any opinion on the picks based on some "big board" you've conjured up. I don't even have one. I have opinions on players, but I don't rank them and haven't in years.

If you learn to read, you'd see I actually think Veach likely made some good selections and reserve my overall opinion on this draft to the future when it can actually be reviewed in a meaningful way.

You continue to show your stupidity on a daily basis.

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 05:48 PM
If you’re building a defense around what you think our offense will be you do it in the front 7, not the back 4.

Shut the run down, pin ears back and hit the QB once you’re ahead. These things don’t happen from the back 4.

Don’t know how the picks will turn out, but I’m a big fan of the direction they’re headed in. Good, smart strategy.

PBJ

Frosty
04-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Do you have a 0.02 IQ? I'm not crying about it. I'm not bitching about it at all. When did I even insinuate that they didn't follow "my board?"

What I'm saying is if someone has an opinion that this may be a bad draft, he's entitled to it. Information from the draftnik community as a whole suggest Veach reached.

I haven't offered any opinion on the picks based on some "big board" you've conjured up. I don't even have one. I have opinions on players, but I don't rank them and haven't in years.

If you learn to read, you'd see I actually think Veach likely made some good selections and reserve my overall opinion on this draft to the future when it can actually be reviewed in a meaningful way.

FWIW, I have no problem with people voicing an opinion on a player. My main gripe is the constant chorus of "Reach!!!!". If the draft talk on CP over the years has shown anything, it's that people here are terrible about knowing where players will go after about the top 10 picks.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Ease up on the Old Crow, fella

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2018, 05:56 PM

hmm

to me it seemed almost the opposite

for example ignoring one of the biggest needs (CB) and picking players they had higher on the board (BPA)

well, i mean ..only time will tell but i hope youre wrong and im gonna guess there will be some hits and some misses like all drafts

the thing that 'hurt' most was not having our #1 pick...but i would give that up in a heartbeat for what we got

also, what 'hurt' us is picking later in every round.....because of the good season we had last year

Easy 6
04-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Crows take on the draft was measured and tempered just fine... it was only his sudden and snappy defense of a patently dumb headline that had me reeling

RunKC
04-28-2018, 06:04 PM
The Chiefs didn’t have a 1st rd pick, thus they were never going to have a real shot at a true “game changing talent” per the experts. No teams without a first rd pick get A’s in the rankings, especially when they don’t pick at the top of the rd without trading up.

As for Veach “reaching”, I believe him 100% regarding Breeland Speaks. There were only TWO DE/Edge rushers taken in rd 1, and the Saints traded two 1’s to get one of them. After that Harold Landry was the only other one taken before us. Veach was obviously right that it was weak this year.
He was also right that Speaks was in demand. Not surprising that the Chargers took an edge rusher 2 picks later.

As for the rest, Idk what people are mad about?

Nnandi was said to have “very little bad tape” by experts and experts liked O’Daniel and Watts and even Smith.

We replaced Tamba, Sorenson, Murray, T. Mitchell and Logan with players who will play immediately.

That was the objective was it not? Whether you like the players or not is one thing, but the Chiefs didn’t draft a developmental players to sit and learn per Terez (except our last pick in the 6th rd).

Mission accomplished.

AMDChief
04-28-2018, 06:05 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/88/88c70f5f92f2a2b966e299114e9975d9a9b870c369445180896e02d329b594a0.jpg

Naptown Chief
04-28-2018, 06:14 PM
I don't get it..
Did we not draft front 7 and a couple DBs? Was this not exactly what everyone was clamoring for? I'm struggling to comprehend how Veech fucked up a draft that went exactly the way we hoped it would. I would think it's premature to label guys "busts" or "a reach" before they've played a season or two, much less a snap. IDK, I'm just a fan. I don't spend my free time reading internet draft pros..most of whom have never played at a snap in the nfl

old_geezer
04-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Please be gentle - I readily admit I know next to nothing about the players drafted. I enjoy following the draft and have a decent knowledge of what we needed going into the draft. I liked the positions we drafted (DL, LB, CB, and S). My only question is what we seem to do a lot; i.e., We draft a DL in the 2nd and Andy says we will use him at LB. We draft a LB in the 4th and indications are we will use him as a Safety. We draft a DL in the 6th and say we're switching him to OL. Is it really that hard to draft somebody at a position they are already playing at? Overall I think we will get 2-3 pretty good players out of this group.

kccrow
04-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Crows take on the draft was measured and tempered just fine... it was only his sudden and snappy defense of a patently dumb headline that had me reeling

I don't I think the headline was a good choice. I think his reasoning in the OP has some merit.

ct
04-28-2018, 06:31 PM
**** l fat thumbed the neg one. Why can’t you change it? Anyway....... fantastic post by Keg in KC. :clap:

nuthooks

suzzer99
04-28-2018, 06:36 PM
JFC with this shit. Grade drafts after 3-5 years. No one has any idea right now.

Simply Red
04-28-2018, 06:38 PM
REMEMBER FREE AGENCY IS STILL AN OPTION!!

Strongside
04-28-2018, 06:38 PM
This place kills me. Judging a draft before anyone has stepped foot on the field is fucking asinine. Never change, Chiefsplanet.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-28-2018, 06:40 PM
The Chiefs didn’t have a 1st rd pick, thus they were never going to have a real shot at a true “game changing talent” per the experts. No teams without a first rd pick get A’s in the rankings, especially when they don’t pick at the top of the rd without trading up.

As for Veach “reaching”, I believe him 100% regarding Breeland Speaks. There were only TWO DE/Edge rushers taken in rd 1, and the Saints traded two 1’s to get one of them. After that Harold Landry was the only other one taken before us. Veach was obviously right that it was weak this year.
He was also right that Speaks was in demand. Not surprising that the Chargers took an edge rusher 2 picks later.

As for the rest, Idk what people are mad about?

Nnandi was said to have “very little bad tape” by experts and experts liked O’Daniel and Watts and even Smith.

We replaced Tamba, Sorenson, Murray, T. Mitchell and Logan with players who will play immediately.

That was the objective was it not? Whether you like the players or not is one thing, but the Chiefs didn’t draft a developmental players to sit and learn per Terez (except our last pick in the 6th rd).

Mission accomplished.

^this^ Plus throw in the picks used for Mahommes, Ragland and Erving and this was a great draft.

Bob Dole
04-28-2018, 06:43 PM
REMEMBER FREE AGENCY IS STILL AN OPTION!!

Is there anyone available for $500?

Simply Red
04-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Is there anyone available for $500?

hahaha

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Worst thread since the Vermiel days?

NOTHING was worse than the Vermeil days, this shitty, ass-wiping thread included.

I believe a fucking RB was one of the tops of this class? Yes. I'm also told there was a lineman.

Anyone expecting razzle-dazzle in this shitfest was out of their minds to begin with. This was NOT a high ceiling draft, and a great year to be out of the 1st.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2018, 06:48 PM
A great payback for being pushed to the front of the sausage grinder in 2013.

milkman
04-28-2018, 06:55 PM
The GMs and people in the draft room have access to far more information on players, and on other team's plans than we do.

To suppose that someone they traded up for would have been there at the original pick is ignorant and stupid.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 07:01 PM
I can tell that the emotions are running a little high around here.
The post was not meant in the way it has been taken by most.
I don't hate the draft at all. I am not calling these players busts. I am merely stating that this was not the direction that most were thinking that this draft would go. I figured we would probably draft a DL but I wasn't expecting 2/3. I wasn't expecting us to wait so late to pick a DB. I wasn't expecting us to pick such a project for the G position as we did. Let alone that player being the son of the GM that is an arch rival.

It just reminds me of the drafts that we had back then that included the likes of Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Eddie Freeman, Kris Wilson and so on when most were expecting either different positions or at least players.
Myself, like most others knew we would not be able to address all the needs in one off season in the draft. I was merely trying to check the pulse of how others thought about the direction that we choose to go in this draft.
My apologies for not remembering that this soon after the draft that people are still emotional, reactionary and looking for any reason to attack.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Agreed.

Neither are you!

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Not even one snap in the NFL and your calling it. WTF

No not at all. I am calling it unexpected. If most were being honest they were not expecting the picks to come down as they did.

ChiefaRoo
04-28-2018, 07:05 PM
If Mahomes throws for 300 yards per with 2/3 touchdowns and a 90 plus QB rating then this draft could have been 6/7 Girl Scouts and it wouldn’t matter. Dats da’ truff!

jallmon
04-28-2018, 07:10 PM
IMO, Veach and company have selected people that should help us in areas in which we greatly needed help. It is not glamorous like last year, but it is just as important. Our defense cost us dearly last year and has to be better this year.

Veach said in an interview (sorry, no link) that that playoff loss, when we couldn't stop a team from running down the field on us, was not acceptable. I'm glad for this draft, now to get them coached up. This should be a really fun year.

Chiefs Moon
04-28-2018, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this draft took us to a 15-20 ranking for the defense. There's been a real shift in culture on the defensive side of the ball. That's a good thing. We will know in a few years. Looks like a smart draft.

srvy
04-28-2018, 07:13 PM
No not at all. I am calling it unexpected. If most were being honest they were not expecting the picks to come down as they did.

Fair enough but I really dont think it was unexpected. We have been getting pushed around up front for years. We have been soft up front both sides the ball. But you cant keep giving up the lOS against the run hopefully this draft will get a guy or two with a nasty attitude.

NIUhuskies
04-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks: Mississippi LB Breeland Speaks (No. 46 overall), Florida State DT Derrick Nnadi (No. 75 overall), Clemson LB Dorian O'Daniel (No. 100 overall), Texas A&M S Armani Watts (No. 124 overall), Central Arkansas CB Tremon Smith (No. 196 overall), Tennessee OG Kahlil McKenzie (No. 198 overall).
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B-
Day 3 grade: B-
Overall grade: B
The skinny: The Chiefs had no first-round selection this year because they traded up 17 spots in 2017 to bring in Patrick Mahomes. The young gunslinger played well enough last season that the team unloaded veteran Alex Smith this off-season. The Chiefs wanted a versatile defender in the second round, and they gave up a third-round pick to go get Speaks, who fits the bill. Speaks has potential, and he'll have to meet it to make the trade-up worthwhile. Nnadi will be a good nose tackle, but can he affect the passing game enough to justify the team's decision to give up a fourth-round pick to move up 11 spots to get him? With the final pick in the third round, the Chiefs added O'Daniel, who will play a safety/linebacker hybrid role. The value was about right, and it will be an interesting fit. Kansas City received pick 124 for cornerback Marcus Peters in their trade with the Rams this off-season, and they used the pick to meet their need for a safety in Watts. Smith could make the team because of its need to replace Peters. Interestingly, they're moving McKenzie from the defensive line to guard to take advantage of his size and athleticism.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930225/article/2018-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best22
04-28-2018, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this draft took us to a 15-20 ranking for the defense. There's been a real shift in culture on the defensive side of the ball. That's a good thing. We will know in a few years. Looks like a smart draft.

The fans who think the defensive playoff performance vs the Steelers, and to a lesser degree the Titans, was acceptable because we only allowed 21 and 18 points don't know as much about NFL football. That's okay, but they're ignorant here

That stuff was totally unacceptable. My ears bled whenever I heard someone say the defense "played well" vs the Steelers in the playoffs. The Steelers controlled the game and had us by the b*lls for 60 minutes. The ONLY reason it was close was due to Haley's stupidity. In fact, if I was a Steeler fan and we had lost that game, I woulda puked my guts out because it would have been the biggest squandering of a huge advantage ever in playoff history. The 3 Rivers are lucky they didn't have to deal with all that vomit.

That defensive performance was a disgrace. They toyed with us up front. It was a bodybuilder vs an old man. They went through us like sh*t through a goose!

Rant over!

keg in kc
04-28-2018, 07:44 PM
No not at all. I am calling it unexpected. If most were being honest they were not expecting the picks to come down as they did.That makes it like pretty much every year, then. Draft experts usually make Kansas meteorologists look reliable in comparison.

I would imagine that most franchises fanbases have conversations like this going on tonight. Especially after day 3. Because reality is that the real draft experts are working for the league, not for the press, and the draft boards that the fans see, the player grades and rankings we use, are all guesses put together by people who aren't actually involved in the process. They can't possibly know.... Beyond that, the teams do not collude, they work in competition, so there is no uniform scale for judgement either before or after the fact. There are literally 32 unique draft boards, and I'd be surprised if they matched up all that much outside of 10 or 15 picks. If they're that close. How could anyone determine what each of hundreds of individuals value is out of that?

Reality is what happened today. If you want to know what a player's value was, just look at where he was drafted. It's really that simple. All the talk about players dropping below where they should have gone or teams reaching because people outside of NFL war rooms guessed wrong about where they'd be drafted is somewhat entertaining but ultimately meaningless. The press and the public have no idea what's really going on because the league does a pretty good job of hiding real, relevant information from them, and from each other.

Baby Lee
04-28-2018, 07:59 PM
The fans who think the defensive playoff performance vs the Steelers, and to a lesser degree the Titans, was acceptable because we only allowed 21 and 18 points don't know as much about NFL football. That's okay, but they're ignorant here

That stuff was totally unacceptable. My ears bled whenever I heard someone say the defense "played well" vs the Steelers in the playoffs. The Steelers controlled the game and had us by the b*lls for 60 minutes. The ONLY reason it was close was due to Haley's stupidity. In fact, if I was a Steeler fan and we had lost that game, I woulda puked my guts out because it would have been the biggest squandering of a huge advantage ever in playoff history. The 3 Rivers are lucky they didn't have to deal with all that vomit.

That defensive performance was a disgrace. They toyed with us up front. It was a bodybuilder vs an old man. They went through us like sh*t through a goose!

Rant over!

Raging Aelxsexual over here!! Mods!!

Frosty
04-28-2018, 08:29 PM
The post was not meant in the way it has been taken by most.

You said in the OP that this draft was full of incredible reaches and players that don't fit positional needs. How the hell are we supposed to take it?

T-post Tom
04-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Love the anual day-after draft grade debate. Predictable, yet so relevent. :D

Flying High D
04-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Love the anual day-after draft grade debate. Predictable, yet so relevent. :D

True, much like used dog shit.

T-post Tom
04-28-2018, 08:48 PM
True, much like used dog shit.

x thread humor for the win.

BryanBusby
04-28-2018, 08:53 PM
The impression I got was it was pretty clear that Veach was true to the core about using a smaller board than other GM's.

Seemed more antsy about guys (like what....2 picks weren't a trade up?) and wanted to lock them in.

Not sure how that will work out. Will just have to sit back and see the results.

I'm just glad we didn't start blowing up the 2019 board to slide up some slots this weekend. Good restraint.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2018, 08:56 PM
The Mahomes deal alone makes it an A+

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 08:56 PM
You said in the OP that this draft was full of incredible reaches and players that don't fit positional needs. How the hell are we supposed to take it?

I am glad that they identified a player that they wanted and went and got him but by almost all predaft player rankings and all that, when we took Breeland Speaks it was at least a round early. I understand Veach didn't think he would have made it to 54, but as he admitted himself he wasn't sure that if he had not drafted Speaks that he would not have been drafted before our next pick.
We didn't take a single DB with one of our first 3 picks, but took two at the DL one of which might actually be an OLB and then slide inside on 3rd down according to Reid. The other a DT is also a project with the likes of Sam Hubbard and or Ronnie Harrison still there.
O'Daniel is a ST and Dime package only LB according to Veach. I like Dorian O'Daniel but with Anthony Averett and Kizer White still available I would have thought that we would have went DB since we are thin/weak there.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm just glad we didn't start blowing up the 2019 board to slide up some slots this weekend. Good restraint.

I am as well.

Best22
04-28-2018, 08:59 PM
I am glad that they identified a player that they wanted and went and got him but by almost all predaft player rankings and all that, when we took Breeland Speaks it was at least a round early. I understand Veach didn't think he would have made it to 54, but as he admitted himself he wasn't sure that if he had not drafted Speaks that he would not have been drafted before our next pick.
We didn't take a single DB with one of our first 3 picks, but took two at the DL one of which might actually be an OLB and then slide inside on 3rd down according to Reid. The other a DT is also a project with the likes of Sam Hubbard and or Ronnie Harrison still there.
O'Daniel is a ST and Dime package only LB according to Veach. I like Dorian O'Daniel but with Anthony Averett and Kizer White still available I would have thought that we would have went DB since we are thin/weak there.

We really don't know who the project players will be. It clear Veach and Reid don't view Speaks as a big project. Just needs some refinement.

Nnadi was predicted to go in the 3rd round, or maybe even the second. He was a solid value

BryanBusby
04-28-2018, 09:02 PM
The overdrafting shit is a bit silly.

Speaks had traction as a bottom half 2nd round pick. Nnadi had a lot of traction as a 3rd. Watts was a 3-4 range guy.

I have no idea where Clemson guy was slated and who gives a goddamn shit if they reached in the 6th round. It was the end of the fucking 6th round.

You guys are acting like he just fucking took Dee Ford in the 1st round 6 times.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2018, 09:05 PM
The impression I got was it was pretty clear that Veach was true to the core about using a smaller board than other GM's.

Seemed more antsy about guys (like what....2 picks weren't a trade up?) and wanted to lock them in.

Not sure how that will work out. Will just have to sit back and see the results.

This. I fucked HATED the ants-in pants philosophy people were espousing in the name of a rookie QB contract. FUCK THAT. Mahomes is going to be here a LONG time, and the Chiefs can't possibly expect to hobble together a CONSISTENT championship team before that contract expires.
I'd rather they practice wisdom, patience, and restraint with the draft and FA instead trying to go Full Eltard and sell the whole fucking house for a short window of fleeting glory, 50 years be-damned.

Eleazar
04-28-2018, 09:07 PM
The overdrafting shit is a bit silly.

Speaks had traction as a bottom half 2nd round pick. Nnadi had a lot of traction as a 3rd. Watts was a 3-4 range guy.

I have no idea where Clemson guy was slated and who gives a goddamn shit if they reached in the 6th round. It was the end of the ****ing 6th round.

You guys are acting like he just ****ing took Dee Ford in the 1st round 6 times.

I approve this message

jaa1025
04-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Hated 2nd and 3rd round picks, but obviously I hope I'm wrong. Loved the 4th and 6th round:

2nd--Breeland Speaks--Another project Kass type player (reach)
3rd--Derrick Nnadi--undersized dt that is good against the run and that's about it
3rd-- Dorian O'Daniel--tweener LB/SS hybrid. Best Special Teamer in draft (non returner) ?? Really with a 3rd rounder?

4th--Armani Watts--Loved this pick. I think he's the starter now unless they sign someone else.

6th--Tremon Smith--Loved this pick. Small school guy with all the skills necessary to succeed in the NFL. Potential starter and at worse, a reserve. Will make the team.

6th--Kahlil McKenzie--Not sure if he makes the roster with the position change but I loved the reaction to this pick. I hope it works out for him.

I am happy they went heavy defense. We will see if Veech is brilliant or a draft schmuck.

KChiefs1
04-28-2018, 09:09 PM

I'd be willing to wager they don't end up in the top half of the NFL.

mlyonsd
04-28-2018, 09:10 PM
The Mahomes deal alone makes it an A+

This is a great way of looking at it.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2018, 09:11 PM
We really don't know who the project players will be. It clear Veach and Reid don't view Speaks as a big project. Just needs some refinement.

Nnadi was predicted to go in the 3rd round, or maybe even the second. He was a solid value

Well when they compared him to Tamba in build and measurables and might be a little time for the same production it tells me that dude will not be much help this year.

KChiefs1
04-28-2018, 09:13 PM
It's bad because of the drafts the Donks & Chargers had.

RunKC
04-28-2018, 09:20 PM
It's bad because of the drafts the Donks & Chargers had.

Chargers are the most talented team in the division. Good thing we have the best coach.

BryanBusby
04-28-2018, 09:20 PM
This. I fucked HATED the ants-in pants philosophy people were espousing in the name of a rookie QB contract. FUCK THAT. Mahomes is going to be here a LONG time, and the Chiefs can't possibly expect to hobble together a CONSISTENT championship team before that contract expires.
I'd rather they practice wisdom, patience, and restraint with the draft and FA instead trying to go Full Eltard and sell the whole fucking house for a short window of fleeting glory, 50 years be-damned.
Yep. Drafting like your asshole was going to explode next Thursday is how you ruin a guy. Just ask Luck and his 77 fucking receivers.

BlackOp
04-28-2018, 09:25 PM
The way this draft went...it appears Veach had very specific players targeted...not just positions. You dont give up draft capital in the sweet spot of the draft on a whim. National pundits dont break down team needs to that degree.

Obviously, KC didnt have the funds in FA to fix the entire defense...so this draft had to have at least two d-line players that can contribute as rookies.

I expected this to a defensive draft that focused on rounding out the depth of this roster...which is exactly what it was.

I'm not too worried. KC got Fuller, Hitchens, Watkins..and Berry back.

CupidStunt
04-29-2018, 04:23 AM
incredible reaches

Not one single person on this forum knows who was a "reach" and who wasn't. The concept itself doesn't even make sense. Every single pick in the draft could be a reach ... unless the team right behind you wants the same dude. Or the team behind that. Or the team behind that.

questionable positional needs.

Any fan that wants to draft for need should stop jerking off over picking Eric Fisher #1 overall, hand in their fan card and be a Browns fan.

Chargem
04-29-2018, 05:26 AM
I think the draft was mostly fine. They hit a lot of areas of need, there's a chance that the first four picks contribute this year which is also a plus.

Philosophically, I'm a little opposed to some of it. I don't rate run defenders as highly valuable, especially when compared to corners, so I would have rather picked the best remaining CB at the start of the third rather than Nnadi.

I also didn't rate the need for an OLB as highly as the Chiefs did. If Houston and Ford are healthy, and we have Tanoh waiting in the wings, I thought there was more room to take a guy like Ogbo or Ejifor or whoever was available in the late third or 4th and let them develop for at least a year until Ford departs. Maybe the lack of confidence in Tanoh or Ford coming off an injury means that the OLB need was greater than I previously thought. The Chiefs obviously have far more info on this situation than we do, and I'm also happy we went for a big body guy. I felt like there was a risk we could have ended up with a smaller speedster edge guy like Ford who could be exploited in the run game.

The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is Hurst, I would have rather taken a flyer on him in the 4th and instead the Raiders got him.

BigRedChief
04-29-2018, 05:35 AM
The Mahomes deal alone makes it an A+According to every report I've read, it was Veach that was advocating for Mahomes from the start, adamantly pounding the draft room conference room table saying Mahomes was the guy. We have to move up and get him.

That was a very positive franchise changing decision. I think we can give the draft some room to breathe before we say its a complete fail and Veach sucks.

Chiefs Moon
04-29-2018, 05:46 AM
The defense is no longer soft = Outstanding draft.

Dee Ford can now be what he is: A pass rush specialist.

Opposing offenses can no longer put their worst receiver on Peter's side and pick on the other DB's.

The run defense will be vastly improved with Nnadi, Hitchens, Ragland, and Berry in the middle of the field.

The Chiefs are deeper at CB than they have been in years.

There's no pressure to make Kpass something he isn't: An every down 3-4 OLB. He becomes a chess piece.

The Chiefs have enough versatile players on D they can adjust to no hurry-up offenses.

It was a transformative draft. Next year's draft will complete the transition from terrible to good.

Veach said he wanted to change the mindset on defense. He took steps to do just that.

John Dorsey did many good things for the Chiefs. But he left the Chiefs will a totally screwed up cap and a soft defense.

Imon Yourside
04-29-2018, 06:06 AM
I'm fairly certain mock draft suicide was committed, we need a mourning period for mockers everywhere.

Danguardace
04-29-2018, 06:37 AM
I like that pretty much all the players were Seniors, meaning they are that little bit more polished. I think many will be able to compete for playing time straight away.

I love this draft in terms of philosophy and intent. Now its is down to the players and coaches to make it work.

B_Ambuehl
04-29-2018, 06:37 AM
This was a good example of a draft by a front office who have too much information and want to prove how smart they are reaching for various guys instead of taking the more obvious best available. I've never seen that work out. There was an article the other day talking about how teams could have followed any number of mock drafts from dudes in basements and actually ended up with better football teams than these reach type drafts teams do.

Football scouting isn't that hard and with so much media these days and enough eyes on players the consensus is usually correct.

Danguardace
04-29-2018, 07:29 AM
This was a good example of a draft by a front office who have too much information and want to prove how smart they are reaching for various guys instead of taking the more obvious best available. I've never seen that work out. There was an article the other day talking about how teams could have followed any number of mock drafts from dudes in basements and actually ended up with better football teams than these reach type drafts teams do.

Football scouting isn't that hard and with so much media these days and enough eyes on players the consensus is usually correct.

The consensus is usually right?

Put the crack down son.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Chargers are the most talented team in the division. Good thing we have the best coach.

....and QB....and offensive skill guys. Two huge trump cards we have.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-29-2018, 07:32 AM

Oh bullshit ROFL

Naptown Chief
04-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Most intelligent post in the most intelligent thread. Look at you go little buddy

Chief Pote
04-29-2018, 07:41 AM
we'll be fine.

SR you seem really nice, but we haven't been fine for 48 years. :D

nychief
04-29-2018, 07:46 AM

Bullshit. This isn't auto drafting your fantasy team. The long and short is we haven't the foggiest idea about this draft and won't know for quite some time. I do know that he our defense sucked and he drafted almost exclusively on that side of the ball. I don't that is overthinking.

tmax63
04-29-2018, 07:51 AM
I'd be willing to wager they don't end up in the top half of the NFL.

If they move from #28 to the top 20 would be a sizeable improvement for 1 year.

Molitoth
04-29-2018, 08:18 AM
I loved this draft because......

I didn't really give a shit about it.
We are stacked on offense with good WR depth and our QBoTF and that is a GREAT feeling.

B_Ambuehl
04-29-2018, 08:23 AM
Bullshit. This isn't auto drafting your fantasy team. The long and short is we haven't the foggiest idea about this draft and won't know for quite some time. I do know that he our defense sucked and he drafted almost exclusively on that side of the ball. I don't that is overthinking.

I'm not saying it's autodrafting a fantasy team. I'm saying the consensus biggest hole on this football team was corner followed by legit run stoppers. EVERYONE on this forum was sitting here the other night waiting for Veach to go up and get one of those last upper tier corners. Instead Veach moves up and drafts a marginal pass rusher and a dime backer. The Nnadi pick is legit IMO but most of the better picks were head scratching. I really hope it all works out but I've followed many teams, many drafts, and I've seen this type of movie many times before. Guys inside the football team often seem to lose objectivity when evaluating their own football team.

htismaqe
04-29-2018, 08:24 AM
I loved this draft because......

I didn't really give a shit about it.
We are stacked on offense with good WR depth and our QBoTF and that is a GREAT feeling.

For me, it's the joy of once again being a casual fan. I just don't care enough anymore to get upset about it (or any other move they make). Bring on the season.

I have really no idea who any of these guys are at the end of the day. It looks to me like they're trying to fix the defense, which is good enough.

htismaqe
04-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Guys inside the football team often seem to lose objectivity when evaluating their own football team.

Which NEVER happens to the fans of said team, amirite? :hmmm:

O.city
04-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Hey htis good to see you back

Lightrise
04-29-2018, 08:33 AM
I tend to look at the draft broadly taking into consideration free agents signed, who gets cut as a result and how the picks address the competition specifically within the division. Unless you do all that you can't really find the brilliance, or shortcomings of a strategy, let alone motivation. What is clear is that Veach is definitely seeking to change the attitude on this team and that is exactly what we have to have. We have to be meaner on defense. You cannot win in the playoffs without being in your face and physical. Similarly, you cannot win in the playoffs without the capability to score quickly and late in games offensively, and Veach has addressed that too.

I went back and looked at the available players after our picks. I'm not sure tweaking would have been better rather than sticking with the overall strategy. So until we find out who loses jobs we cannot truly know. I hope it means goodbye to Harris, Zombo, Bailey, Ford and Sorenson, with additional free agent signings.

Chargem
04-29-2018, 08:52 AM
I tend to look at the draft broadly taking into consideration free agents signed, who gets cut as a result and how the picks address the competition specifically within the division. Unless you do all that you can't really find the brilliance, or shortcomings of a strategy, let alone motivation. What is clear is that Veach is definitely seeking to change the attitude on this team and that is exactly what we have to have. We have to be meaner on defense. You cannot win in the playoffs without being in your face and physical. Similarly, you cannot win in the playoffs without the capability to score quickly and late in games offensively, and Veach has addressed that too.

I went back and looked at the available players after our picks. I'm not sure tweaking would have been better rather than sticking with the overall strategy. So until we find out who loses jobs we cannot truly know. I hope it means goodbye to Harris, Zombo, Bailey, Ford and Sorenson, with additional free agent signings.

I think almost no one in your list is getting cut, Sorenson is the only maybe. If they cut a DL I think it will be Jenkins.

Best22
04-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Yeah, no way Ford gets cut. A rotation of Houston, Ford, and Speaks is pretty nice. Give Speaks more time to develop so he can take the starting role in 2019

Flying High D
04-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Ass, balls and used dog shit.

Chargem
04-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Yeah, no way Ford gets cut. A rotation of Houston, Ford, and Speaks is pretty nice. Give Speaks more time to develop so he can take the starting role in 2019

I don't think Ford can be cut, didn't his salary get guaranteed due to injury? So cutting him would still mean we have to pay him the $9mil for this year regardless.

Eleazar
04-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Couldn't agree more with those saying people are figuring out it's become a lot more enjoyable to be a casual fan. Why get in pissing matches over mid-round players that nobody really knows anything about, let alone is able to predict their future?

We have our ticket in the QB sweepstakes. The defense was horrific, they took 3 players in the first 3 rounds for the front seven. It's not a complete team yet. Some people will try to argue that it is, mostly the same people who said that last year. We are still limited by the coaching staff. Whatever.

They'll be watchable and if they're not, meh.

Lightrise
04-29-2018, 09:31 AM
I think almost no one in your list is getting cut, Sorenson is the only maybe. If they cut a DL I think it will be Jenkins.

It could be Jenkins. I admit my list is a wish list mostly. But I base this on what is not happening. Harris should never be relied up on 3rd downs and that has been a problem. Bailey just doesn't get to the QB with pressure often enough and he's overpaid. Ford is expensive too and I've noticed that he's often blocked out of the play and then there's the injury and the one dimensional performance. Sorenson is also overpaid and I think we've already received the best he can offer. Zombo is getting old and while he has been there when we needed him we should be able to upgrade a little. I think most people grasp those realities, so why settle? Let's just move on now instead of postponing what is inevitable. I'm in favor of cleaning up the mess now so next year is less of a headache and we can better cope with emerging issues.

Chris Meck
04-29-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm not saying it's autodrafting a fantasy team. I'm saying the consensus biggest hole on this football team was corner followed by legit run stoppers. EVERYONE on this forum was sitting here the other night waiting for Veach to go up and get one of those last upper tier corners. Instead Veach moves up and drafts a marginal pass rusher and a dime backer. The Nnadi pick is legit IMO but most of the better picks were head scratching. I really hope it all works out but I've followed many teams, many drafts, and I've seen this type of movie many times before. Guys inside the football team often seem to lose objectivity when evaluating their own football team.

It comes down to what your philosophy of building a defense is. Everybody knew that the elite pass rushers would be gone by the time we had a shot to pick one; so we all focused on the deep corner group.

Veach showed that his philosophy is that you build a defense front to back; meaning that if you can't stop the run and you can't rush the passer, it doesn't matter who's playing corner. So he went front 7 heavy. Our '14 defense with Sean Smith and the revolving door on the other side would be exhibit A of that line of thought. I think it makes sense.

and I think O'Daniel will have a big positive impact in that position over Sorensen.