PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LNBS: Veach needs to get a CB or we’re really gonna miss Marcus Peters

BossChief
04-29-2018, 10:26 PM
The offense is going to score a ton.

Opposing offenses are going to have a harder time running the ball on us with additions like

Williams
Hitchens
Speaks
Nnadi
Getting Berry and Ford back
Slimmer Jones

We’re gonna force a lot of 3rd n long situations now.

Obvious passing situations when Marcus Peters could “work”.

I hate to say it, but I think Amerson gets torched a lot if he’s out there too much. Fuller is a damn good player that will bring that energy, but I’m not confident in CB2-CB5. At all.

I know our pass rush should be vastly improved, but there’s a lot of work needing done at CB1 or CB2 depending on where Fuller plays.

I wonder if he’s gonna move a pick for a starting CB or if he really thinks we’re set at the position. I mean, we tried to go get the other Fuller for big money...

I can see Veach moving on from Sorensen and Zombo and using their $ on a CB. Maybe even move Bailey if someone wants him.

Simply Red
04-29-2018, 10:28 PM
maybe. Glad I could help.

DaFace
04-29-2018, 10:31 PM
I honestly don't think they believe we need it that much. It's pretty clear at this point that the coaches didn't value Peters as much as the fans did.

He was great for turnovers for sure, but I'm hopeful that the reality is that he was hurting the scheme and that we'll be able to get by without a superstar at CB. It's not like our pass defense (collectively) was anything great last year, after all.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2018, 10:38 PM
This is a new team. Under Alex Smith, we had to build a balanced offense/defense that kept games close on D.

With Mahomes, we can win some shootouts. The best way to support an explosive QB is to stop the run. Other teams will try to run to take us out of rhythm. We still need CBs. But now CBs can make a mistake or two. And with a better passing game, focus on the pass rush and force some mistakes. Besides... we've had a decent defense with Gaines & Fleming as our starters. We can make it work with what we have. I wish we didn't get rid of Peters. But I also get that the attitude stuff makes it easier to cut a really good CB who doesn't fit that "stop the run" mentality we have now.

SuperBowl4
04-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Win or lose, I won't miss Marcus Peters

Coach
04-29-2018, 10:42 PM
I think at best it is an addition by subtraction. There's no doubt about Peters' abilities, but his willingness to tackle somebody have left a lot to be desired, on top of his immaturity issues as well.

I'm hopeful that Amerson will return to his 2015 form since he only signed a 1 year contract. I like giving out one year contracts to players who have shown flashes in the past, and for whatever reason, they couldn't sustain it. And Amerson is only what, 26? I think he will have a big year to rebuild his value and obtain a multi-year contract (preferably to another team, so KC could get a comp pick).

tk13
04-29-2018, 10:42 PM
To be honest I've always banged the drum that says CBs are overrated, especially in this era where you can't touch receivers. You can't be terrible back there though either, so hopefully this team finds a pass rush with the group we have right now. It is certainly a huge advantage to shut down one half of the field, although it feels like we didn't always take advantage of it.

Still, if you thought other teams did a good job running the ball and keeping Alex Smith off the field in the playoffs, wait until Mahomes gets in there. If he's the QB we hope he is, every single team's gameplan is going to be control the clock and keep him off the field.

Coach
04-29-2018, 10:45 PM
To be honest I've always banged the drum that says CBs are overrated, especially in this era where you can't touch receivers. You can't be terrible back there though either, so hopefully this team finds a pass rush with the group we have right now. It is certainly a huge advantage to shut down one half of the field, although it feels like we didn't always take advantage of it.

Still, if you thought other teams did a good job running the ball and keeping Alex Smith off the field in the playoffs, wait until Mahomes gets in there. If he's the QB we hope he is, every single team's gameplan is going to be control the clock and keep him off the field.

Honestly, as this game has evolved in the last 10 years, I'm in the same boat. Because in this era where you can't touch receivers, I'd prefer to have my CB's who have 4.3 speed and good hips, regardless of their height. I also like to find players who are good in open field space tackles, because in general, open space tackling appears to be a lost art.

Eleazar
04-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Adding Fuller and improving the terrible front 7 will do more to help the team become a top defense than hanging on to Peters would have.

Nickhead
04-29-2018, 11:27 PM
I honestly don't think they believe we need it that much. It's pretty clear at this point that the coaches didn't value Peters as much as the fans did.

He was great for turnovers for sure, but I'm hopeful that the reality is that he was hurting the scheme and that we'll be able to get by without a superstar at CB. It's not like our pass defense (collectively) was anything great last year, after all.

you mean like when peters ALWAYS played off the receiver 15 yards, instead of press man? :D

RippedmyFlesh
04-29-2018, 11:27 PM
love or hate peters I am going to miss the TOs.

BossChief
04-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Right now, CB seems (on paper) to be KCs weakest position group.

BossChief
04-29-2018, 11:38 PM
love or hate peters I am going to miss the TOs.

Exactly.

He even won us 2-3 games pretty much single handedly with those TOS.

RippedmyFlesh
04-30-2018, 12:20 AM
Exactly.

A little better against the run a better pass rush but less TOs just hope it is a net improvement. I don't think we have to be world beaters on D.

New World Order
04-30-2018, 12:39 AM
I feel like we're kinda similar to Tennessee's 2017 D.

CoMoChief
04-30-2018, 12:54 AM
Amerson sucks ass. Never was thrilled about that signing. He's going to get torched all season long if he's the #2 CB this year.

And unless Ford and Houston can wreck havoc this is going to be a loooong season for the D.

wasi
04-30-2018, 01:32 AM
Win or lose, I won't miss Marcus Peters

this is what is crazy about the this offseason. It has everything to do with Mahomes and Veach.

1) Mahomes is a stud, and his attitude has permeated through the franchise.

2) Veach doesn't give a ****, and he has a similar approach to drafting.

So far Veach has been able to hit on his vision. If he bangs tables for all the picks he accredited with, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

and, this is why I am not too worried about losing Peters

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-30-2018, 04:43 AM

Agreed.

Amerson led the league in passes defensed 2 years ago, maybe he'll get back on track and be a gem.

threebag
04-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Good riddance Marcus, take your Oakland thug shit with you

RealSNR
04-30-2018, 06:10 AM
Except for Fuller, all of our projected top 4 CBs (other than Tramon Smith, if he gets that far) will be free agents at the end of this year.

It was a need not just because it's a weak position group with question marks, but because it's REALLY going to be a need next offseason.

That's why I was disappointed we only came out of the draft with only one dude, and a 6th rounder at that.

TambaBerry
04-30-2018, 06:12 AM
we'll be fine, playing a lot of man to man and I think we have the guys who can play that. Amerson is a lot better in press coverage then he is in zone. He isn't a great player but I think he can be good enough.

Chiefs Moon
04-30-2018, 06:18 AM
Veach clearly understands the roster. If the Chiefs defense is no longer soft, it's been a great off season. Veach isn't done. If we need another DB, LG, and TE, he will find them. Might not be as good as what he gets in next year's draft, but Veach will find a way to upgrade what everyone knows to be weak. The best move the Chiefs made last year was replacing Dorsey with Veach. And Dorsey wasn't a bad GM.

BigRedChief
04-30-2018, 06:29 AM
A healthy Berry and Ragland/Hitchens changes our defense. Barry doesn't have to come up to help on the run. He can help out a CB instead.

We cant fix a defense as bad as ours was in one off season.

BigRedChief
04-30-2018, 06:33 AM
Except for Fuller, all of our projected top 4 CBs (other than Tramon Smith, if he gets that far) will be free agents at the end of this year.

It was a need not just because it's a weak position group with question marks, but because it's REALLY going to be a need next offseason.

That's why I was disappointed we only came out of the draft with only one dude, and a 6th rounder at that.Veach has a 1st and 2 2nd rounders next year. He can move up and get a top shelf CB.

How could he have done that this year? Whats your scenario that we get a top shelf CB in this years draft with what Veach had to work with?

Buckweath
04-30-2018, 07:02 AM
This team absolutely needs another CB IMO.

Amerson is a prayer.

People who think he will return to 2015 form are the first ones who will be complaining about how shit are our CBs if we get burnt in passing situations.

I'm telling you, this team has a chance to contend for the SB as early as this year if Mahomes proves to be good but that CB group is just not good enough.

Buckweath
04-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Veach has a 1st and 2 2nd rounders next year. He can move up and get a top shelf CB.

How could he have done that this year? Whats your scenario that we get a top shelf CB in this years draft with what Veach had to work with?

There were rumors that the Chiefs loved Mike Hughes and was trying to move up at the bottom of the 1st round to probably draft him.

threebag
04-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Maybe we can pick up some teams KeiVarae Russell type cast off

tmax63
04-30-2018, 07:33 AM
The Chiefs were #29 in passing yards given up, #25 in yards per rushing attempt, and #28 in total yards given up. It's hard to go anywhere but up from #'s like that. They replaced Peters with Fuller. Not as big a difference as some here want to believe. Amerson is better than anyone else on the staff last year not named Peters and possibly Nelson although that's not saying much. I think Watts and DoD is an improvement over Parker and Sorenson. This is all in the back half of the D where people are complaining. The Chiefs have improved in half of the positions of the secondary not counting Berry. IMHO the Chiefs have done about as much as you could reasonably expect in the offseason so far and it's not over yet as people keep posting.

Manila-Chief
04-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Apologize if this has already been posted, but I think it explains the trade and the reason they were okay with Peters no longer on the roster.

Adam T. has an informative article on ESPN ... maybe "insider?"

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/24563/hard-to-fault-chiefs-efforts-to-remake-their-hapless-defense

He said Veach wants the defense to get tougher, and wants physical players, players who play with an edge, tough-minded players....

"The Chiefs already had some defenders who played with the kind of edge they want. Linebacker Justin Houston and safety Eric Berry are among them. But the team didn't feel they had enough players like that."

"The Chiefs unloaded a talented cornerback, Marcus Peters, for a variety of reasons. His at-times bizarre behavior was holding them back. His rookie contract was nearing its end and they felt investing big in a second deal for Peters was risky."

"But Peters also had developed a sudden distaste for contact, one he acknowledged in an interview with the NFL Network after saying his trade to the Rams was a "business decision." He didn’t want to get injured with his big payday approaching. The way Peters went out of his way to avoid contact last season was almost comical at times. But it wasn’t funny to the Chiefs."

I believe it was the playoff game???, but I remember Peters ... not missing a tackle but purposely avoiding making a tackle. Had he gone to the runner and tackled him it would have saved 6 to 10 yards. Don't remember the exact drive but that could have been enough to have stopped Tenn.???

So, NOPE! I for one will not miss Peters!!!!

RealSNR
04-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Veach has a 1st and 2 2nd rounders next year. He can move up and get a top shelf CB.

Plenty of great CBs were there for the taking in the 2nd and 3rd round. The Chiefs wanted Speaks and friends more than them. That's fine.

But if Amerson plays well, are we going to pay him the cash he'll want? If Nelson has a good year, are we going to pay him?

We should have made multiple CB picks. That's all I'm saying. Re-build the depth now so that next year we don't need to hamstring our draft board finding a new starter AND guys to fill out the roster

tmax63
04-30-2018, 08:18 AM
The Chiefs were hamstrung this year after moving up for a QB and I'm glad they did. They patched a bunch of holes with this year's draft and still have 3 picks next year to reasonably expect to contribute right away. I really hope the Chiefs face the dilemma of having to pay Nelson and/or Amerson the big bucks because they produced this year.

BigRedChief
04-30-2018, 08:28 AM
Plenty of great CBs were there for the taking in the 2nd and 3rd round. The Chiefs wanted Speaks and friends more than them. That's fine.

But if Amerson plays well, are we going to pay him the cash he'll want? If Nelson has a good year, are we going to pay him?

We should have made multiple CB picks. That's all I'm saying. Re-build the depth now so that next year we don't need to hamstring our draft board finding a new starter AND guys to fill out the rosterDisagree that there were "great" CB's left when we picked. Just going to have to agree to disagree.

The rest of your post are good points on a plan is needed and what about cash/salary cap implications etc. Paying big money to CB's are highly risky contracts.

We need to spend money in the next 4 years. Mahomes is going to get cap killing money in his next deal. And rightfully so. QB's who can take you to a Super Bowl and win it don't grow on trees. We just need to spend that money now that wont be available then.

O.city
04-30-2018, 08:29 AM
They need a cheap CB to hit somewhere. Hopefully this dude they drafted this year hits decently.

O.city
04-30-2018, 08:33 AM

We should have made multiple CB picks. That's all I'm saying. Re-build the depth now so that next year we don't need to hamstring our draft board finding a new starter AND guys to fill out the roster

Eh, I dunno about great CB's. They were decent prospects and some of them will probably hit and be good players, but I'm not sure about great.

As good as the Chiefs have been at developing players recently, CB is a spot they just haven't been. They haven't taken an UDFA or a later round pick (hell not even a 3rd rounder) and developed him into a good longterm option.

That needs to change. Look at a team like Dallas last year. They went with a lot of young CB's and they played well.

BossChief
04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
If Peters is still on this team, it’s a Super Bowl contender.

We might have a tough time winning the division if a significant upgrade isn’t made to CB2.

The division is stacked with wideouts.

Hoover
04-30-2018, 09:36 AM

We might have a tough time winning the division if a significant upgrade isn’t made to CB2.

I agree and that's why that trade hurts so much.

I know Peters was a thug, but damnit he was our thug.

For every play he gave up he made it up.

I get that we were never going to sign him to an extention, but milk the two next years out of the kid. Oh well. Moving on.

RealSNR
04-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Eh, I dunno about great CB's. They were decent prospects and some of them will probably hit and be good players, but I'm not sure about great.

As good as the Chiefs have been at developing players recently, CB is a spot they just haven't been. They haven't taken an UDFA or a later round pick (hell not even a 3rd rounder) and developed him into a good longterm option.

That needs to change. Look at a team like Dallas last year. They went with a lot of young CB's and they played well.

Starting potential. Great CBs. Tomato/tomahtoh. Whatever. That's just semantics.

Guys who could help out this year, be important players for next year (or at least relied upon). That's what we needed.

HemiEd
04-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Exactly.

It was a wash, he cost at least that many games by his 'Ole tackling method.

staylor26
04-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Veach specifically talked about Reaser/Redmond and grading them in comparison to the corners in this year’s class before the draft. Seeing how it played out, I think it’s pretty obvious he thinks more highly of them than we do. We’ll see how it plays out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Redmond in particular turns out to be a steal.

The guy was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd because of his ACL injury, the same reason why he didn’t stick with the 49ers or get a real shot. If he’s finally healthy, he can definitely be the diamond in the rough.

Bewbies
04-30-2018, 10:02 AM
How are Philly's CB's? I don't recall them being all world types.

But that pass rush and front 7....

BryanBusby
04-30-2018, 10:03 AM

Yeah, but he's not. Move the fuck on.

Eleazar
04-30-2018, 10:28 AM
I agree and that's why that trade hurts so much.

I know Peters was a thug, but damnit he was our thug.

For every play he gave up he made it up.

I get that we were never going to sign him to an extention, but milk the two next years out of the kid. Oh well. Moving on.

It's a little hard for me to believe that a team with a defense near the bottom of the league WITH Peters would be a Super Bowl contender if they still had him.

chiefzilla1501
04-30-2018, 10:43 AM
It's a little hard for me to believe that a team with a defense near the bottom of the league WITH Peters would be a Super Bowl contender if they still had him.

A ball hawking CB like him would be fun to watch with a real pass rush and with teams trying to pass a shootout game. I've moved on from him. But his talent is a loss no matter how people may want to put positive spin on it. The positives far outweighed the negatives, esprcially when you have him pretty much for free.

BossChief
04-30-2018, 10:49 AM
I’m glad Veach made the move to get Fuller, but it just seems the elephant in the room for the 2018 season is going to be the corners.

I sure don’t want Revis back on the team...but I think it’s highly possible that happens.

A lot of these decisions are gambles by Veach that I hope work out...but Amerson covering Cooper, Thomas, Sanders, Allen, Williams and others isn’t exactly inspiring.

O.city
04-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Well, in theory yes, but not really.

As much as we may think, the Chiefs front office isn't dumb. If they were willing to trade him with all his positives, obviously the negatives were pretty significant.

O.city
04-30-2018, 10:51 AM
I’m glad Veach made the move to get Fuller, but it just seems the elephant in the room for the 2018 season is going to be the corners.

I sure don’t want Revis back on the team...but I think it’s highly possible that happens.

A lot of these decisions are gambles by Veach that I hope work out.

They aren't bringing Revis back. They've gone young on d, theres' a bigger chance of me playing corner for them next year than revis.

BossChief
04-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Well, in theory yes, but not really.

As much as we may think, the Chiefs front office isn't dumb. If they were willing to trade him with all his positives, obviously the negatives were pretty significant.

I totally agree...

But that doesn’t mean you ignore the CB position in the strongest corner draft in years.

They’re not done yet is the point of this thread.

I think Veach is still going to add a big time corner to this roster via trade.

BossChief
04-30-2018, 10:56 AM
They aren't bringing Revis back. They've gone young on d, theres' a bigger chance of me playing corner for them next year than revis.

At some point in the season, I won’t be the least bit surprised if they do.

Imon Yourside
04-30-2018, 10:56 AM

No offense but if you're on their short list we are in deep trouble. :D

I know at 48, i couldn't cover my feet with a blanket half the time. :D

Imon Yourside
04-30-2018, 10:57 AM
I totally agree...

But that doesn’t mean you ignore the CB position in the strongest corner draft in years.

Like who? and at what cost?

O.city
04-30-2018, 10:58 AM
I totally agree...

I don't think they'll look to add another big salary at this point. Maybe a cut or something, but in terms of big additions, I'd imagine this is what it is.

O.city
04-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Why?

He was obviously old and slow, didn't wanna tackle and was pretty much done. Why would they bring him back?

Kiimo
04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
After one of the worst hangovers of my life I've turned the corner (pun) on this draft a bit.

While on the one hand Green Bay had my wet dream of a draft I'd trade it all to have Mahomes and some defense.

Buckweath
04-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Apparently Veach tried to trade for Watkins and Hitchens at this time last year or a bit later before the season started.

He ended up trading for Ragland and Erving.

I just don't see how he doesn't do it again this year.

I do personally feel this team is a good CB away from contending.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Didn’t read through the thread but this feels like another good time to remind people that our corners in 2014 were nameless outside of Sean Smith. We had the #2 ranked pass defense.

Let’s just see it unfold.

Titty Meat
04-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Exactly.

Helped lose a few too

Chiefsguyinri
04-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Pending legal issues/suspension, Rashard Robinson in buried on the Jets depth chart. He was a top 40 talent coming out of college that played on bad team in SF/NYJ. He is 6'1 180, with 4.45 speed. Could probably be had for a 5th. With some discipline/coaching he could turn into something.

htismaqe
04-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Veach clearly understands the roster. If the Chiefs defense is no longer soft, it's been a great off season. Veach isn't done. If we need another DB, LG, and TE, he will find them. Might not be as good as what he gets in next year's draft, but Veach will find a way to upgrade what everyone knows to be weak. The best move the Chiefs made last year was replacing Dorsey with Veach. And Dorsey wasn't a bad GM.

This team likely isn't going to sign anymore TE's. Between Wright, Amaro, and Harris somebody will have to emerge. I like Amaro.

htismaqe
04-30-2018, 04:52 PM

The defense last year was terrible WITH Peters. His contributions are over-estimated.

Kiimo
04-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Tremon Smith.

Best22
04-30-2018, 05:01 PM
I think our starting corners are okay. No worse than last year. Possibly and upgrade

It's our depth at corner that worries me

Easy 6
04-30-2018, 05:03 PM
I totally agree...

With Veach talking up Reaser and Redmond pre-draft, combined with not taking a CB until the 6th... seems like expecting some big move at this point is wishful thinking

I wanted a higher ranked CB as well, but this regime is apparently much more comfortable with what they have than we are... its hard to see any big name being added at this point

Best22
04-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Who can we get that is better than Amerson

Easy 6
04-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Our guys really seem to be counting on superior coaching and a clear health checkup getting this guy back in 2016 form

His doppleganger Sean Smith was just a 'bum' when we brought him in, lets work some magic... again

BossChief
04-30-2018, 05:42 PM
With Veach talking up Reaser and Redmond pre-draft, combined with not taking a CB until the 6th... seems like expecting some big move at this point is wishful thinking

I wanted a higher ranked CB as well, but this regime is apparently much more comfortable with what they have than we are... its hard to see any big name being added at this point

They tried to sign Kyle Fuller for over 10m per.

Easy 6
04-30-2018, 06:00 PM
They tried to sign Kyle Fuller for over 10m per.

Thats true, and I was all about it... Kendalls brother is a proven and steady performer, and having two brothers back there had the potential to create a special kind of chemistry

But Veach looking at aspects like that and hoping to improve that way, shouldnt diminish what he did during the draft... which is pass on a bunch of well rated corners

If he had any really major concerns for CB, seems like we'd have seen that in play this draft or during free agency after Kyle passed on our offer

Either that, or other teams completely goat****ed whatever plan he had

Lets get camp rolling and see what happens...

chiefzilla1501
04-30-2018, 06:09 PM

Breeland

Let's just say, that guy speaks to me (sorry... bad joke).

Bet we can get him for cheap too. Get 'er done, Veach!

TimeForWasp
04-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Revis just swatted the ball right back to Mariota. Will never forget that fuck up.

Best22
04-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Breeland

If it's team friendly, do it.

Amerson would make good depth

chiefzilla1501
04-30-2018, 06:23 PM
If it's team friendly, do it.

Amerson would make good depth

He got 3 years $24m then had the offer rescinded. So it'll be cheaper than that. Maybe Fuller can sweet talk the Chiefs into this. That seems like a steal.

Coogs
04-30-2018, 07:04 PM
I still think we are going to be alright on defense without Peters. Easily our best defensive performance of the year came when he was out. Oakland had 268 yards total on the day. 194 or 195 of those came in the 4th quarter after we had built a 26-0 lead.

Defense forced 3 turnovers, including 2 INT's.

We will be fine.

Coogs
04-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Peters also did not play the last regular season game in Denver. We held Denver to 180 to 190 total yards in that one until the 4th quarter and had a 24-10 lead, when Denver got in 150 or so yards of offense while trying to catch up. They wouldn't have either without Bray.

JakeF
04-30-2018, 07:45 PM
16 interceptions last year, all those players are gone except for 2.

DT Chris Jones - 1 int
SS Daniel Sorenson - 1 int

added
CB Kendall Fuller - 4 ints
CB Robert Golden - 1 int

BossChief
04-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Breeland

Maybe a 1 year deal...but if we wanted to keep an average CB we would have re-signed Terrance Mitchell.

chiefforlife
04-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Peters also did not play the last regular season game in Denver. We held Denver to 180 to 190 total yards in that one until the 4th quarter and had a 24-10 lead, when Denver got in 150 or so yards of offense while trying to catch up. They wouldn't have either without Bray.

Peters didnt play in the last Oakland game either, we did pretty good without him.

tmax63
04-30-2018, 07:55 PM
TO's are nice but it's even nicer when the defense can get 3 and outs too. Nine minute drives by the opposition in home playoff games aren't acceptable as Veach has said. The D was broke last year. Berry wasn't on the field and I'll give Houston and Ragland a pass but the rest of them can go die in an AIDS tree fire after drinking a quart of antifreeze. Acting like losing anyone from the 27-8th ranked defense is the end of the world just shows your stupidity or your excessive nut hugging.

Chiefs=Champions
04-30-2018, 08:37 PM
I think Berry alone will improve our cb play. Not to mention the addition by subtraction of Gaines (sorry mum). Also I hardly think our pass-rush could be any worse than last year. I