PDA

View Full Version : Life Dollar Shave Club

CaliforniaChief
05-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Does anyone else use this or any related service?

What's been your experience?

Simply Red
05-10-2018, 08:10 AM
gives me razor-Q

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284548&page=2

burt
05-10-2018, 08:13 AM
I do Dollar Shave. I like it.

KCrockaholic
05-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Over the course of a year how much does it cost?

Simply Red
05-10-2018, 08:20 AM

after all of the fees it's a little over $7,000.00

Simply Red
05-10-2018, 08:22 AM

actually that's a good question, if any long time member has this answer t'would be good to see how much.

burt

The blades are a 5 blade set up, so they last for a considerable time. I only receive them every other month at around $10. Can't remember exactly because it's automatic. I just got my Dad on board, and my daughter is also in board.

KCrockaholic
after all of the fees it's a little over $7,000.00

That's about $20 per shave if I was to shave every single day. I'll consider it.

Frazod
05-10-2018, 08:24 AM
I use it. Quality razors. I like the Carver's shave butter, too.

And I really like the idea of never spending another cent buying a Gillette razor. 4321

Simply Red
05-10-2018, 08:29 AM
That's about $20 per shave if I was to shave every single day. I'll consider it.

Don't listen to me, ever.

Dunit35
05-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Costs me $6 every other month for their 2nd tier option. Razors last a while and are good enough that my wife uses them as well.

Frazod
05-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Costs me $6 every other month for their 2nd tier option. Razors last a while and are good enough that my wife uses them as well.

My wife uses them as well.

Amnorix
05-10-2018, 08:55 AM
I don't really understand why anyone uses razors much. I use an electric Tuesday to Friday. Sat/Sun I usually skip shaving altogether. Monday I use a razor (found it prevents ingrown pimples on my neck (TMI I know)).

Costs me, uhh, not much at all. My electric razor has lasted years and years. Is it AS close as a razor? No. Is it enough to matter? Not remotely.

The cost of those five blade things are OUTRAGEOUS. I use a damn Sensor on Mondays. Two blades. They're like a buck apiece and last more than a month on my once-a-week system.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-10-2018, 09:09 AM
I use it. Prices are as shown on their site.

DaFace
05-10-2018, 09:16 AM
I tried it, but I didn't like the blades as much as I like my trusty Mach 3. Went back.

Rasputin
05-10-2018, 09:23 AM

After consulting with my expert friend Fifty bucks/ Rick Harris Pawn Stars.

CaliforniaChief
05-10-2018, 09:29 AM
So if you set it up to get cartridges every other month, do you only pay bi-monthly?

scho63
05-10-2018, 09:29 AM
I paid .14 a blade for a Gillette Trac II compatible. 100 CARTRIDGES AT $13.99!

They last LONG, work great and are the best clone/knock off/generic product I ever purchased. I won't need to buy any blades for at least 4-5 years. I shave every other day, I need to change the blade after about 7-10 shaves so a blade lasts around 3 weeks at a minimum. If I go through 15-20 blades a year, that's at least 5 years for 100 blades. :clap:

I would NEVER buy the Gillette version, they are a ripoff. Sorry Warren Buffet :shake:

BLADES ON AMAZON (https://www.amazon.com/Personna-Twin-TWIN-Razor-blades/dp/B003MFXWUA/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1525965752&sr=1-4&keywords=razor+blades+trac+2)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91y6xxwZnKL._SX522_.jpg

mikeyis4dcats.
05-10-2018, 09:30 AM
So if you set it up to get cartridges every other month, do you only pay bi-monthly?

yes, you only pay when it ships, and you can skip shipments if you want.

KCrockaholic
05-10-2018, 10:08 AM
I don't really understand why anyone uses razors much. I use an electric Tuesday to Friday. Sat/Sun I usually skip shaving altogether. Monday I use a razor (found it prevents ingrown pimples on my neck (TMI I know)).

Costs me, uhh, not much at all. My electric razor has lasted years and years. Is it AS close as a razor? No. Is it enough to matter? Not remotely.

The cost of those five blade things are OUTRAGEOUS. I use a damn Sensor on Mondays. Two blades. They're like a buck apiece and last more than a month on my once-a-week system.

I've used electric razors and I just don't like that it doesn't get a close shave. I guess I'm picky in that regard. Oh and I manscape my beard so using a blade helps for more precision imo.

BWillie
05-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I use it. Quality razors. I like the Carver's shave butter, too.

And I really like the idea of never spending another cent buying a Gillette razor. 4321

I literally can't use anything but a Gillette Mach 3, and it can't be a regular one. It has to be a disposable one. No it's not in my head. I breakout on my neck otherwise. It has been a godsend.

Dartgod
05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

I'm with you. I used to use the Mach III blades, but anymore I find it's much quicker to shave with my old Norelco electric. No, it's not anywhere as close as a blade but it's good enough and a hell of a lot cheaper. I may shave with a blade once or twice a month, tops.

BWillie
05-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Some people have alot of androgen and thick beards. You know, being manly, chopping wood and stuff. I can't use an electric razor, it just doesn't work very well at all. I have like the thickest beard hair known to man though. When you have a super thick beard it actually takes LONGER when an electric razor.

patteeu
05-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Dollar Shave Club uses rebranded DorcoUSA razors.

I don't like the subscription model, so I just buy mine from Dorco (where they're cheaper to begin with) when I need them.

https://www.dorcousa.com/

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

You're welcome.

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Dollar Shave Club uses rebranded DorcoUSA razors.

I don't like the subscription model, so I just buy mine from Dorco (where they're cheaper to begin with) when I need them.

Dang it Pat :p

Personally, I have gone to this. Much cheaper still.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0878/8258/products/MRK34C_1200x.jpg

MahiMike
05-10-2018, 10:58 AM
This guy stole my idea. I'm boycotting.

suzzer99
05-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Interesting article on this business model and the rash of startups launched in the mold of DSC and Warbey Parker.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201805/tom-foster/direct-consumer-brands-middleman-warby-parker.html

Amnorix
05-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Some people have alot of androgen and thick beards. You know, being manly, chopping wood and stuff. I can't use an electric razor, it just doesn't work very well at all. I have like the thickest beard hair known to man though. When you have a super thick beard it actually takes LONGER when an electric razor.

I sort of obviously can't compare my beard thickness to others, but I am a reasonably hairy fellow. I definitely have some reasonably serious stubble by the afternoon. 5:00 shadow and all that.

I think shaving with an electric versus razor is probably about the same for me timewise, but I'm literally LYING IN BED while I use it. It's the first thing I do. Alarm goes off, turn it off, grab electric razor and sleepily drag it around my face. Feel face in dark for stubble then use razor more. Rinse and repeat until reasonably smooth, then stagger into bathroom for tooth brushing etc.

It might take a minute or two longer, but damn, those Gillette razors COST.

Amnorix
05-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Reminds me of my grandfather's old razor. Damn.

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Reminds me of my grandfather's old razor. Damn.

I bought one of those Merkur safety razors for $35. Should last a lifetime.

You can get 100 of the best quality blades for about $25. You save tons, even if you only use the blades once. They have two edges and are good for several shaves each, but I'm frivolous and use a new blade about every other shave.

You have to go slower with the safety razor, slow with short strokes. Little to no pressure is required because the blades are much sharper. They have those comb/guard things on them now... after a couple tries I never really cut myself again.

I don't think anything gives you a closer cut either.

Amnorix
05-10-2018, 12:54 PM

You can get 100 of the best quality blades for about $25. You save tons, even if you only use the blades once. They have two edges and are good for several shaves each, but I'm frivolous and use a new blade about every other shave.

You have to go slower with the safety razor, slow with short strokes. Little to no pressure is required because the blades are much sharper. They have those comb/guard things on them now... after a couple tries I never really cut myself again.

If I remember right, and this is going back like 30 years, I think my grandfather (who lived through the depression) would use one edge, flip it over to use the back of the SAME SIDE of the blade, then flip to the other edge, and then flip it over to use the back of that same edge.

I honestly have no idea if this is helpful advice, or completely insane and will leave you bleeding like a stuck pig, but I'm pretty sure that's what he did.

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 01:06 PM
If I remember right, and this is going back like 30 years, I think my grandfather (who lived through the depression) would use one edge, flip it over to use the back of the SAME SIDE of the blade, then flip to the other edge, and then flip it over to use the back of that same edge.

I honestly have no idea if this is helpful advice, or completely insane and will leave you bleeding like a stuck pig, but I'm pretty sure that's what he did.

Never tried that, but I think the ones I buy are only sharpened on one side, not sharpened to a point.

Anyway, they're cheap enough to just throw away, but I'm sure that generation was much more likely to pinch pennies.

I'm not brave enough to get into the straight razor revival that has happened but the safety razor is great and never should have gone out of fashion.

Buehler445
05-10-2018, 01:16 PM
I sort of obviously can't compare my beard thickness to others, but I am a reasonably hairy fellow. I definitely have some reasonably serious stubble by the afternoon. 5:00 shadow and all that.

I think shaving with an electric versus razor is probably about the same for me timewise, but I'm literally LYING IN BED while I use it. It's the first thing I do. Alarm goes off, turn it off, grab electric razor and sleepily drag it around my face. Feel face in dark for stubble then use razor more. Rinse and repeat until reasonably smooth, then stagger into bathroom for tooth brushing etc.

I’ve only tried twice but it took better than 30 minutes to shave my head with an electric and knock it out in 5 minutes or less in the shower.

loochy
05-10-2018, 01:34 PM

So have I. It's way cheap and I don't get ingrown hairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
05-10-2018, 01:38 PM
I’ve only tried twice but it took better than 30 minutes to shave my head with an electric and knock it out in 5 minutes or less in the shower.

HEAD?!

Yeah, ok, I'm not shaving my whole damn head, so I can see the time savings if you're doing that! :D

The Rick
05-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Used to have a subscription. It was fine. Blades were good and cheaper than buying Gillette. But then I switched to a Philips OneBlade and haven't looked back.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-OneBlade-QP2520-90/dp/B01D328BG6/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525981531&sr=8-3&keywords=philips+oneblade

siberian khatru
05-10-2018, 01:48 PM
HEAD?!

Yeah, ok, I'm not shaving my whole damn head, so I can see the time savings if you're doing that! :D

You're not a Chiefs fan. Bald head and goatee are de rigueur.

DaFace
05-10-2018, 01:54 PM

The razors do add up, for sure, but if you buy them in bulk you can get them down to around $2 each. I can go for 2 weeks on a blade, so that's like $50 per year. If you can only go a week, it might be more like $100, but still, that's not like that's a huge item in a budget.

otherstar
05-10-2018, 02:43 PM

I've got several Merkur razors and a few vintage Gillettes. I get 100 Astra SP Blades from Amazon for $9.95 and each blades lasts me about 2 weeks. I also have a collection of straight razors (most are inherited vintage) and they give the best shave of all, when I have time to use them--you can NOT hurry when using a straight razor :eek:

Fish
05-10-2018, 02:44 PM

So your bed is full of beard trimmings? Yuck...

MahiMike
05-10-2018, 03:25 PM
So your bed is full of beard trimmings? Yuck...

Was thinking the same thing.

My beard is as tough as nails. Funny cause the little hair I have on my head is like duckling fur.

I use Harry's razors recently. Definitely can't use the cheap ones cause they just pull on my beard. Need a stiff, quality blade.

sedated
05-10-2018, 03:40 PM
More than a dollar.

False advertising.

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 08:48 PM
I've got several Merkur razors and a few vintage Gillettes. I get 100 Astra SP Blades from Amazon for $9.95 and each blades lasts me about 2 weeks. I also have a collection of straight razors (most are inherited vintage) and they give the best shave of all, when I have time to use them--you can NOT hurry when using a straight razor :eek:

I have tried lots of them, and I feel like Feather and Gillette Blue are the best, for me anyway.

I'm good enough with them that I use them on my head and don't have issues, but it took a while for me to get that super gentle touch down.

Switching to the short-handled Merkur helped I think, it just seems to be easier to do the fine manipulation with.

HemiEd
05-10-2018, 08:56 PM

Hmm, doesn't shave on weekends and uses electric razor in bed. Yep, Amnorix is single.

Miles
05-10-2018, 09:55 PM
I just buy the giant pack of the latest from Gillette fusion or whatever they call them now at Costco when on sale and lasts a really long time.

Eleazar
05-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Hmm, doesn't shave on weekends and uses electric razor in bed. Yep, Amnorix is single.

ROFL