PDA

View Full Version : Other Games "Just a matter of time until KC gets an NBA team"

eDave
05-19-2018, 07:06 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA Executive: “Jarrett, going to be real honest with you, Kansas City will get an NBA team at some point. It’s a real thing I’ve heard from multiple sources. Just a matter of time. Seattle and KC to me are most valuable markets for league expansion when it makes sense.”</p>&mdash; Jarrett Sutton (@JarrettTSutton) <a href="https://twitter.com/JarrettTSutton/status/997522223073234944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MVChiefFan
05-19-2018, 07:19 AM
I really hope this happens, because I’m getting kind of tired of rooting for the Phoenix Suns. The first time they’ve ever had the #1 pick and I’m POSITIVE they’ll find a way to screw it up.

Discuss Thrower
05-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Seems logical to me, though I think barring some magic economic boom that KC is saturated on an avenues for sports spending.

Load the bench up with KU/KSU/WSU/MU G-League / Euro caliber dudes and hope the lottery gods are favorable.

GloucesterChief
05-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Nah, KC and Seattle are the threats that the NBA uses to extract taxpayer money for new stadiums for its existing teams.

Just like LA was for the NFL. I am betting St. Louis and Oakland now move into that position.

ptlyon
05-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Mahomes will play point guard when he's not busy winning Lombardi's

ChiliConCarnage
05-19-2018, 07:42 AM
I think that died with OKC. The NBA should be looking at international expansion

Rasputin
05-19-2018, 08:07 AM
I just assume Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

GloucesterChief
05-19-2018, 08:28 AM
I think that died with OKC. The NBA should be looking at international expansion

OKC was basically the NBA and the owners colluding to commit fraud against the city of Seattle.

KChiefs1
05-19-2018, 08:46 AM
I don't believe it.

Best22
05-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Maybe if someone relocates

Or if there is relocation plus the addition of one more team

OKC is hardly a problem. A Kansas City team could draw from a larger fanbase than OKC (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska)

Simply Red
05-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Not to be ugly - but I should hope so, Oklahoma City has a team!

Eleazar
05-19-2018, 09:57 AM
It seems like the NBA has the least parity in championships among the major sports, so I did some digging. Looks like it is true.

---

Number of teams that have won championships since 1990:

MLB: (16) CIN, MIN, TOR, ATL, NYY, MIA, ARI, ANA, BOS, CHW, STL, PHI, SFG, KC, CHC, HOU
NFL: (14) NYG, WAS, DAL, SF, GB, DEN, STL, BAL, NE, TB, PIT, IND, SEA, PHI
NHL: (13*) PIT, MON, NYR, NJD, COL, DET, DAL, TB, CAR, ANA, CHI, BOS, LAK
NBA: (10**) CHI, HOU, SAS, LAL, DET, MIA, BOS, DAL, GSW, CLE

In progress:
*3 of the 4 remaining teams have never won a Stanley Cup.
**All four remaining teams have won the Finals since 1990.

-

Number of cities with a championship since 1990 that are not a top-10 media market:

MLB: (7) CIN, MIN, TOR, MIA, ARI, STL, KC
NFL: (8) GB, DEN, STL, BAL, TB, PIT, IND, SEA
NHL: (6*) PIT, MON, COL, DET, TB, CAR
NBA: (4**) SAS, DET, MIA, CLE

In Progress:
*1 of the 4 remaining teams is in a top-10 media market
**3 of the 4 remaining teams are in a top-10 media market

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-19-2018, 10:01 AM
I would worry about Kansas City continuing to support the team after the initial shine wears off. They already lost one NBA franchise, albeit in a different era, and they've already abandoned the Royals again. Kansas City is a fairweather sports town.

GloucesterChief
05-19-2018, 10:03 AM
The problem with the NBA is that one superstar or two superstars on one team can pretty much dominate an era due to the number of players in the NBA being smaller. The NHL kind of has an answer to this as a goalie that is hot can pretty much bring a lesser talented team through the playoffs and even win a cup ie Roy in Montreal.

Eleazar
05-19-2018, 10:08 AM
The problem with the NBA is that one superstar or two superstars on one team can pretty much dominate an era due to the number of players in the NBA being smaller. The NHL kind of has an answer to this as a goalie that is hot can pretty much bring a lesser talented team through the playoffs and even win a cup ie Roy in Montreal.

I can see the argument about a team in the NHL riding a hot goaltender a long way, but isn't that kind of apples to oranges? Even a great individual performance a la Patrick Roy isn't going to be repeated every year. In the NBA, the handful of dominant players remain more or less dominant all the time.

GloucesterChief
05-19-2018, 10:10 AM
I can see the argument about a team in the NHL riding a hot goaltender a long way, but isn't that kind of apples to oranges? Even a great individual performance a la Patrick Roy isn't going to be repeated every year. In the NBA, the handful of dominant players remain more or less dominant all the time.

This is true but a hot goaltender can lead to playoff upsets and lead a less talented team to the finals. Where as in the NBA you rarely get a Cinderella team to the finals.

Best22
05-19-2018, 10:19 AM
I would worry about Kansas City continuing to support the team after the initial shine wears off. They already lost one NBA franchise, albeit in a different era, and they've already abandoned the Royals again. Kansas City is a fairweather sports town.

How many cities support MLB teams that go 56-106? That's what we're looking at. If they were a potential 70 win team support would be higher

Al Bundy
05-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Kansas City will end up with an NBA team.

TEX
05-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Not really up on it but I do remember the Kings back in the day when they had Theus - Why did they leave?

crayzkirk
05-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Not really up on it but I do remember the Kings back in the day when they had Theus - Why did they leave?

I remember Nate Archibald and the Kings. I think basketball has changed a lot since those days. I am not sure Kansas City would support another franchise that wasn't really successful. In fact, as fast as support for the Royals is falling, I can't see this as a realistic option.

Is there sufficient parking and hotel space downtown?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
How many cities support MLB teams that go 56-106? That's what we're looking at. If they were a potential 70 win team support would be higher

They were 23rd in attendance percentage in 2013, 20th in 2014, 5th in 2015, 7th in 2016, 13th in 2017, and 22nd this year.

They didn't even support last year's team very well and it was at least a fringe playoff contender. And you can't say the Royals haven't had recent success. The "level" for the Royals seems to be somewhere around 20-23 in percentage of filled seats.

Best22
05-19-2018, 11:07 AM
They were 23rd in attendance percentage in 2013, 20th in 2014, 5th in 2015, 7th in 2016, 13th in 2017, and 22nd this year.

They didn't even support last year's team very well and it was at least a fringe playoff contender. And you can't say the Royals haven't had recent success. The "level" for the Royals seems to be somewhere around 20-23 in percentage of filled seats.

13th in attendance for an 80-win team in a bottom 5 market is extremely good attendance

Even 22nd is shooting far above our market size, especially considering our horrific 14-30 record

You're actually proving my point

BWillie
05-19-2018, 11:21 AM

You ever been to LA?

Bearcat
05-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Hey, assholes... more people need to drive 20-30 minutes out to a stadium with nothing around it and pay World Series Champion prices plus parking and a couple $10 beers to support a team with a 30% chance of winning on any given night.

Perennial 90+ win fan says so.

Why Not?
05-19-2018, 11:34 AM
I really hope this happens, because I’m getting kind of tired of rooting for the Phoenix Suns. The first time they’ve ever had the #1 pick and I’m POSITIVE they’ll find a way to screw it up.

Oh you can bank on that.

kcxiv
05-19-2018, 12:12 PM
You ever been to LA?

talking about fair weather? shit football yes, in basketball and in baseball, not a chance. They are pretty hardcore.

Monkey God
05-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Out of town ownership was the real reason...got new digs in the owners hometown...Sacramento. The same reason OKC got the team from Seattle.

Ownership is the biggest obstacle I see for any new team relocating or expanding in KC. Who is going to put up the money, and keep it flowing. Both the Royals and Chiefs have out of town owners that are loyal to KC and that is rare. There was no real effort from anybody in KC to buy/keep the Royals here when the opportunity was there and that's why Glass got them cheap.

cooper barrett
05-19-2018, 01:24 PM
I wonder if JS could spare a couple of grams of whatever he is smoking.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA Executive: “Jarrett, going to be real honest with you, Kansas City will get an NBA team at some point. It’s a real thing I’ve heard from multiple sources. Just a matter of time. Seattle and KC to me are most valuable markets for league expansion when it makes sense.”</p>&mdash; Jarrett Sutton (@JarrettTSutton) <a href="https://twitter.com/JarrettTSutton/status/997522223073234944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

-King-
05-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Baseball is different. It's a dying sport. NBA is on the rise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Best22
05-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Disagree with that narrative

But, NBA is better when you're a bad team. The players you draft will actually play with the team that year (most likely). Never happens in MLB

The MLB doesn't have any hyped up prospects like Ayton, Doncic, or Young who fans will get to see play immediately. Makes it a lot more exciting than the MLB

Eleazar
05-19-2018, 02:05 PM

But, NBA is better when you're a bad team. The players you draft will actually play with the team that year (most likely). Never happens in MLB

...and either you win the lottery by drafting one of those 3 or 4 generational type players, or you're one of the 25 or so teams who are the Washington Generals.

cooper barrett
05-19-2018, 02:14 PM

KC was, is, and always will be the worse fans in the sports world. A lot of KC fans come from outside of the metro and when they are losing, they just don't come.

KChiefs1
05-19-2018, 02:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Millennial’s don’t get baseball.

-King-
05-19-2018, 02:44 PM

The MLB doesn't have any hyped up prospects like Ayton, Doncic, or Young who fans will get to see play immediately. Makes it a lot more exciting than the MLB

Baseball highlights are cringey a lot of times because players are hitting home runs into empty bleachers. Even decent teams can't fill more than 60% of their stadium regularly.

Also adding on to your point. Not only are people excited to see draft picks, but they're also excited to see other teams star players. As great as Mike Trout is, not a lot of people are going to to a royals game just to watch him. People will go to a basketball in KC just to see LeBron or Curry even if our home team sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spott
05-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Anytime that I‘ve heard someone say “I’m going to be real honest with you” to me, it was immediately followed by complete b.s.

DaFace
05-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Hasn't this been said for like 15 years now?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-19-2018, 03:35 PM
The demographic for pro basketball is ideal in KC.

vailpass
05-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Hey we’d like to bring you a team that has a ridiculously small chance of winning a championship or even being competitive for a very long time if ever!

Kiimo
05-19-2018, 04:02 PM
KC has already decided on team name, colors and jersey design.

https://i.imgur.com/K5CNmRT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rQS0Dz3.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-19-2018, 04:30 PM
The return of the KC Kings would be great.

BigCatDaddy
05-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I love the Royals but baseball can be pretty damn boring to the masses. At least the NBA is exciting even if you don't have a great team. Not sure if I would say on the rise though
Basketball peaked during the Golden Era.

-King-
05-19-2018, 04:38 PM
I love the Royals but baseball can be pretty damn boring to the masses. At least the NBA is exciting even if you don't have a great team. Not sure if I would say on the rise though

While tv ratings for all shows have went down pretty much across the board, the NBA's have went up and so have their streaming numbers and revenue.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
05-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Compared to recent years which is still light years away from where it was in the 90s

ChiefsCountry
05-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Baseball dominates regionally. People follow their teams. It's national appeal isn't there. Basketball is star driven.

Best22
05-19-2018, 05:01 PM
They both pale in comparison to the NFL

BigCatDaddy
05-19-2018, 05:03 PM
They both pale in comparison to the NFL

Of course.

banecat
05-19-2018, 09:24 PM
What might the name be?

RealSNR
05-19-2018, 09:27 PM
What might the name be?

Kansas City Sonics

banecat
05-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Kansas City Sonics

I dig it. I'd need to remove myself from the Bring Back Our Sonics Facebook page, but it does have a nice ring to it

BWillie
05-19-2018, 09:46 PM
KC was, is, and always will be the worse fans in the sports world. A lot of KC fans come from outside of the metro and when they are losing, they just don't come.

I don't agree at all. Compare KC with other cities. KC is alot less fair weather than most of them. People don't even come to Tampa when they are good. There is apathy everywhere when your team sucks. Look at Chiefs attendance BTW, great attendance all the time even dispite not having much success. Even when they went 8-8, 6-10 etc, still fine.

banecat
05-19-2018, 09:50 PM
NBA or NHL?

Deberg_1990
05-19-2018, 10:04 PM
can KC support 4 pro sports franchises??

BWillie
05-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Kansas City Sonics

Kansas City Flying Squirrels.

With the 1st pick in the NBA draft, Bill Self and Flying Squirrels select Quinten Grimes. And sign Frank Mason.

BWillie
05-19-2018, 10:11 PM
can KC support 4 pro sports franchises??

Four? They have 2. NBA would make it 3. Soccer doesn't count.

MTG#10
05-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Same here. Became a Suns fan as a youngster because Barkley was my favorite player. Other than then and the Nash years they've been a steaming pile of shit. I'm ready to switch my allegiance to a KC team.

Pitt Gorilla
05-19-2018, 10:12 PM
...and either you win the lottery by drafting one of those 3 or 4 generational type players, or you're one of the 25 or so teams who are the Washington Generals. it’d be great to be a team like the jazz.

MVChiefFan
05-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Same here. Became a Suns fan as a youngster because Barkley was my favorite player. Other than then and the Nash years they've been a steaming pile of shit. I'm ready to switch my allegiance to a KC team.

Nice to hear someone shares in my misery. Lol I was like eight years old when the Kings left KC, and my dad was born in Phoenix, so we just went with the Suns. There’s been some really fun years, but good lord they’ve been horrid as of late!

Strongside
05-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Kansas City Cyclones

Valiant
05-19-2018, 11:05 PM
Hey, assholes... more people need to drive 20-30 minutes out to a stadium with nothing around it and pay World Series Champion prices plus parking and a couple $10 beers to support a team with a 30% chance of winning on any given night.

Perennial 90+ win fan says so.

Opposed to driving and waiting for 30 to 50 minutes in a downtown stadium if built plus higher parking costs, no tailgate and probably higher concessions?

Bearcat
05-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Opposed to driving and waiting for 30 to 50 minutes in a downtown stadium if built plus higher parking costs, no tailgate and probably higher concessions?

Not sure how much worse the parking situation and getting in/out could be than whatever the fuck they've done at the TSC the past few years, but...... yes, if it's not all about baseball (a playoff game or at least watching good baseball), I'd be more likely to go if I could hang out at Flying Saucer for a little while before/after the game.

And not that I was lobbying for a downtown stadium with that post, but going to sporting events in Phoenix is night and day compared to the TSC.... the hockey arena (and football stadium) is in a great area with a lot to do/eat/drink, parking is $15 (for hockey) and it's easy to get in and out. Same for Chase Field downtown... even during the playoffs, it was easy to get in and out and parking was reasonable ($15), and there's even a TGI Friday's in the stadium that's completely separate (open all year, normal restaurant prices with stadium steating).

DaNewGuy
05-20-2018, 01:11 AM
You ever been to LA?

Better yet Miami

PunkinDrublic
05-20-2018, 06:17 AM

If only Royals fans were as smug and pretentious as Cardinal fans.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-20-2018, 11:46 AM

They were pretty unbearable and ignorant, but it seems they show up less often than locusts.

Bearcat
05-20-2018, 11:54 AM

https://78.media.tumblr.com/4911106a114c44a71b1014ad91ae08b4/tumblr_n3y15mPdNo1rbgu1so1_250.gif

They were pretty unbearable and ignorant,

https://78.media.tumblr.com/f55ec53d7625d50cc427c91894a7240a/tumblr_n3y15mPdNo1rbgu1so3_r1_250.gif

but it seems they show up less often than locusts.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/630f2c332d600b8062a27f2a9333b703/tumblr_n3y15mPdNo1rbgu1so5_r1_250.gif

ROYC75
05-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Say wut?

I mean we have KU, why have something that can't keep up to the tradition of basketball?

Just send all the KU grads, maybe a few Cats, possibly a few Tigger's and the crowd will come to watch all of the NBA stars. Just say it slowly, the Kansas City Jaycats. :rolleyes:

JoeyChuckles
05-20-2018, 12:41 PM
It should be noted that the next major team to come to KC needs to be named the Monarchs, no matter what sport.

TomBarndtsTwin
05-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Cardinals fan chiming in on KC being able to support another major sports team after their city fails to support and loses major sport team . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures

The Rams finished bottom 5 in attendance their last 6 years there. Maybe they’re a good ‘baseball’ town, but a shitty sports town overall.

There’s no definitive way to conclude KC wouldn’t support a modern NBA team, especially when you consider the Kansas City and surrounding areas/states passion for college basketball.

BWillie
05-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Cardinals fan chiming in on KC being able to support another major sports team after their city fails to support and loses major sport team . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures

The Rams finished bottom 5 in attendance their last 6 years there. Maybe they’re a good ‘baseball’ town, but a shitty sports town overall.

There’s no definitive way to conclude KC wouldn’t support a modern NBA team, especially when you consider the Kansas City and surrounding areas/states passion for college basketball.

Yep. I agree. I think alot of Kansas City people dislike NBA because they aren't exposed to it. Once you get a team, that will surely change especially with so many basketball fans in the area. If you like college basketball, there i no reason you won't love NBA once you have a dog in the fight.

Randallflagg
05-20-2018, 04:12 PM

I've been hearing that KC was going to get a NBA team for as long as I have lived here...right after the Kings left.

I sincerely doubt that it will ever happen - Not that I care - I HATE the NBA...LOVE College hoops though - go figure....

CoMoChief
05-20-2018, 06:33 PM
I'd support an NBA franchise over NHL.

But I think in order for it to succeed long term they'd have to win right out of the gate.

I just think it's something that would die off considerably after the initial honeymoon stage...that is unless they're winning.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2018, 08:36 PM

The attendance is considerably down this year for the Royals. It was down last year for the Chiefs.
KC has already lost an NBA team.
I love the Chiefs and Kaufman is a very nice stadium so don't misunderstand what I am about to say, maybe it is because of the history of the Chiefs and Royals.
It seems that KC is a city where professional leagues put teams with owners that don't have the top notch drive, or whatever it is, to win consistent championships or that is always making noise deep in the playoffs at least.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-20-2018, 08:44 PM
This comes up about every other year.

Not going to happen....again.

Rinse and repeat in a couple of years.

BigCatDaddy
05-20-2018, 09:04 PM
This comes up about every other year.

Not going to happen....again.

Rinse and repeat in a couple of years.

Kind of like Tyler Bray winning a starting job.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Kind of like Tyler Bray winning a starting job.

He’s on what, his 3rd nfl contract now?

Yeah, what a loser.

BigCatDaddy
05-20-2018, 09:11 PM
He’s on what, his 3rd nfl contract now?

Yeah, what a loser.

Legendary

Bray has appeared in only one game, failing to complete his only pass attempt last year in Kansas City's season finale. He spent the 2015 and 2016 seasons on injured reserve.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-20-2018, 09:17 PM

And then signed another NFL contract with the Chicago Bears.

Good night son.

Rams Fan
05-20-2018, 09:46 PM

The Rams, in from 1995 to 2015, had 4 winning seasons and 6 non-losing seasons to go along with what is now tied for the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history along with the pending relocation hanging over everyone's head for about their last 2 or 3 seasons in St. Louis.

No team that doesn't originate in a city and have that kind of shitty record will draw crowds.

Did you ever go see a 2-13 Chiefs team play in a Week 17 game, start a 3rd string QB, then have a 4th string QB attempt a pass after the 3rd string left and stay the entire game? Because I did with the Rams.

Also, it's stupid as hell to blame a city for not supporting a team that had one foot out the door to go along with, from the time frame you mentioned:
-Coming off the worst record in franchise history
-Posting a 2 win season 2 seasons after posting the worst record in franchise history
-Having 3 seasons in the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history(based on record) occur during that time

Cities like STL and KC won't get a sniff from any of the professional four sports leagues in any future relocation or expansion unless there is local ownership present.

BryanBusby
05-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Did you ever go see a 2-13 Chiefs team play in a Week 17 game, start a 3rd string QB, then have a 4th string QB attempt a pass after the 3rd string left and stay the entire game? Because I did with the Rams.

Were you in a fucking coma in 2008, 2012?

Rams Fan
05-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Were you in a ****ing coma in 2008, 2012?

No.

I'm just saying I physically attended a Rams game in which they had a 3rd string ****ing QB start to go along with being 2-13 and I asked him a question.

If he's going to pull the attendance card, I think that's a fair question to ask him.

At the same time, anyone who blames people for not supporting teams when they don't win is stupid. Professional sports are entertainment, and if you don't enjoy the product, you have the right to spend your money elsewhere. KC doesn't deserve to get bashed for baseball attendance.

BryanBusby
05-20-2018, 09:57 PM
No.

I'm just saying I physically attended a Rams game in which they had a 3rd string fucking QB start to go along with being 2-13 and I asked him a question.

If he's going to pull the attendance card, I think that's a fair question to ask him.
Try sitting in the freezing cold weather (near 0) to watch Herm ball. Until then, fuck off.

Aw shucks, we saw bad football in a nice temperature controlled dome. Woe is us.

Rams Fan
05-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Try sitting in the freezing cold weather (near 0) to watch Herm ball. Until then, **** off.

Does watching a subpar college football team play a shittier opponent in sleet count?

BryanBusby
05-20-2018, 10:02 PM
Does watching a subpar college football team play a shittier opponent in sleet count?
No.

Sorry dude, but most Rams fans sucked. I remember watching them talk about the Cardinals and read a book back in 2006, when the SB era wasn't that far gone. They suck at MU games too.

Rams Fan
05-20-2018, 10:07 PM
No.
Shit.

Sorry dude, but most Rams fans sucked. I remember watching them talk about the Cardinals and read a book back in 2006, when the SB era wasn't that far gone. They suck at MU games too.

I think that has to do more with the environment of the Dome.

It isn't bad. It just has no atmosphere around or in it naturally. Like, while Washington Ave is starting to become cool, there's not even really a tailgating area. And it's a freaking convention center.

PunkinDrublic
05-20-2018, 10:58 PM
The attendance is considerably down this year for the Royals. It was down last year for the Chiefs.
KC has already lost an NBA team.
I love the Chiefs and Kaufman is a very nice stadium so don't misunderstand what I am about to say, maybe it is because of the history of the Chiefs and Royals.
It seems that KC is a city where professional leagues put teams with owners that don't have the top notch drive, or whatever it is, to win consistent championships or that is always making noise deep in the playoffs at least.

The Royals look like a team that is going to miss the playoffs for quite some time and that’s in a weak ass central division. We went decades without a playoff appearance. I suspect people are bracing for this to happen again. Hamas post is typical Card fan arrogance and why they are so hated as a fan base.

TomBarndtsTwin
05-20-2018, 11:00 PM
No.

I'm just saying I physically attended a Rams game in which they had a 3rd string ****ing QB start to go along with being 2-13 and I asked him a question.

At the same time, anyone who blames people for not supporting teams when they don't win is stupid. Professional sports are entertainment, and if you don't enjoy the product, you have the right to spend your money elsewhere. KC doesn't deserve to get bashed for baseball attendance.

Sorry, dude. Didnt mean to personally offend you. Was mainly just responding to the smug Cards fan (hamas), who felt the need to come into this thread and call out the Royals for declining attendance and called KC a fairweather sports town. If he wants to make that accusation, fine. But St. Louis is no better. Yes, they support baseball well, but thats easy to do when youre competing for playoff spots every year. Think the self professed ‘BFIB’ would turn out in droves for 6 straight years of last place baseball with 4 one hundred loss seasons mixed in? Yeah, me neither. We all love a winner, but everyone hates a loser.

But for all the smug St. Louis fans on here (no, its not all of them), it must really chap their asses that the Royals and Cubs have been more relevant nationally the last few years than they have.

Mike Matheny: the gift that keeps on giving . . . . .

ghak99
05-21-2018, 12:12 PM
The Royals look like a team that is going to miss the playoffs for quite some time and that’s in a weak ass central division. We went decades without a playoff appearance. I suspect people are bracing for this to happen again. Hamas post is typical Card fan arrogance and why they are so hated as a fan base.

It should have been expected.

They reset the cycle and the fans know it. Trying to milk those ticket prices when the writing was on the wall was ignorant.

Eleazar
05-21-2018, 12:15 PM
No.

So you were there through thin and thin.

How many other St. Louisians were there that day?

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Lack of ownership group is Kansas City's problem getting either a NBA or NHL team.

Pablo
05-21-2018, 12:25 PM
So you were there through thin and thin.

How many other St. Louisians were there that day?

Fergusonistan is a hockey and baseball town. They were probably at the ice soccer rink or watching clips from August baseball games to gear up for April.

Hangin'WithMahomes
05-21-2018, 12:27 PM
I'd rather see KC get a NHL franchise, but don't see that happening either.

OKchiefs
05-21-2018, 12:30 PM
We were supposed to get the NFL draft, but look how that went. KC is unfortunately nothing but a bargaining chip for cities , leagues, franchises, etc. to bargain for better deals elsewhere. The NFL repeatedly screws us over despite agreements for big events in exchange for playing international games, why would anyone think the NHL or NBA wouldn't try to screw us as well?

Jerm
05-21-2018, 12:40 PM
We were supposed to get the NFL draft, but look how that went. KC is unfortunately nothing but a bargaining chip for cities , leagues, franchises, etc. to bargain for better deals elsewhere. The NFL repeatedly screws us over despite agreements for big events in exchange for playing international games, why would anyone think the NHL or NBA wouldn't try to screw us as well?

I remember when people thought we were gonna legit get the Pens haha..was like do you really think Pittsburgh would let them go?

Would've been awesome, we would've had a Cup in the first year LOL.

Bearcat
05-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Fergusonistan is a hockey and baseball town. They were probably at the ice soccer rink or watching clips from August baseball games to gear up for April.

It's much closer to 'ice lacrosse', except the goalie has a fighting chance.

banecat
05-21-2018, 01:00 PM
I remember when people thought we were gonna legit get the Pens haha..was like do you really think Pittsburgh would let them go?

But then Cindy Crosby would've been playing here

Pitt Gorilla
05-21-2018, 01:09 PM
I'd rather see KC get a NHL franchise, but don't see that happening either.Golden Knights would have been awesome.

Kiimo
05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Screw the NHL, KC is a basketball town.

Monkey God
05-21-2018, 01:44 PM

I also remember that the Spurs used KC twice to get better deals in San Antonio.

Monkey God
05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
I'd much rather have an NHL team than NBA. I've gone to both many times in other cities and NHL is a much better product.

KChiefs1
05-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Lack of ownership group is Kansas City's problem getting either a NBA or NHL team.

Who's the dudes that own Cerner who own SKC? Wouldn't they be great owners?

Spott
05-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Screw the NHL, KC is a basketball town.

It’s not either of those things.

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Who's the dudes that own Cerner who own SKC? Wouldn't they be great owners?

Main money guy died.

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Every town is a fairweather sports town. I reside near Pittsburgh. No one was a Penguins fan until Crosby arrived. My Pirates were popular for three years and all of those "fans" disappeared as quickly as they arrived and if the Steelers ever reverted back to their pre 1970s state, Heinz Field would be empty.

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Millennial’s don’t get baseball.

This millennial agrees.

Baseball isn't boring. It is a game of chess. As Leo the Lip said, "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-21-2018, 03:14 PM

As a Pirates fan, I wish you did. Screw the Penguins and their bandwagon fan base.

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-21-2018, 03:15 PM

The NBA isn't exciting. They don't play defense. Give me college hoops any day. March Madness is phenomenal compared to the drawn out NBA playoff.

O.city
05-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that's wrong. They do play defense, they're just that good offensively.

MahiMike
05-21-2018, 03:21 PM
NBA? What's that?

BigCatDaddy
05-21-2018, 03:22 PM
The NBA isn't exciting. They don't play defense. Give me college hoops any day. March Madness is phenomenal compared to the drawn out NBA playoff.

Both are great to me. I just like the pace of the game compared to baseball.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-21-2018, 03:24 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/db8598c1338fc96577282ffcd1f0724f/tenor.gif?itemid=4770313

Pitt Gorilla
05-21-2018, 03:28 PM
ROFL

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-21-2018, 03:39 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/db8598c1338fc96577282ffcd1f0724f/tenor.gif?itemid=4770313

Tropic Thunder, right?

BlackHelicopters
05-21-2018, 03:52 PM
This will never happen.

-King-
05-21-2018, 04:02 PM

ROFL ROFL It's 2018 and people are still throwing out the "don't play defense" line?

Only reason it looks like more defense is being played in college is because 95% of players are trash and college coaches have terrible offensive systems and can't design plays to save their lives. It's by far the ugliest major sport we have. 15 perimeter passes each possession trying to find a mismatch before taking a shitty shot when the shotclock is running out. How exciting.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
05-21-2018, 04:04 PM
While I don't watch hockey at all, the skill hockey players have is amazing to me, so while I would prefer an NBA team, I wouldn't mind an nhl team if that was the only option. I would love to see a few games live.
Posted via Mobile Device

SithCeNtZ
05-21-2018, 04:56 PM
...and either you win the lottery by drafting one of those 3 or 4 generational type players, or you're one of the 25 or so teams who are the Washington Generals.

This the correct answer. Honestly it baffles me why people even watch the NBA. The regular season has essentially zero drama, and everyone sits around and waits for the conference finals and finals for maybe 20 fun games to watch among teams that were 99% of the time already predicted to be there.

I follow the Pacers since KC doesn’t have a team and I live in Indy, and they are the absolute perfect example of why the NBA sucks unless you are one of 3-4 teams that dominate an entire decade. When the Pacers traded Paul George for Oladipo, it was actually bad that they didn’t tank and won the trade. Now they are stuck drafting in a spot with a .01% chance to get another all star, and they have 0% chance of signing anyone that good(just like KC would), and all in all they have no chance of beating the Celtics for the next 10 years. It’s actually bad the GM was so good and made a great deal. The amazing thing is the fans around here are all “WOW So proud of this team! Can’t wait until next season! “ and I’m thinking, what are you so happy about? Are you ready for another 5-10 years of being a 3-6 seed and losing in the first and second round? It’s like being in Alex Smith hell all the time only you can’t hold out hope that maybe there’s a Joe Flacco type miracle because that doesn’t exist in the NBA. I don’t see how anyone can find that enjoyable.

Best22
05-21-2018, 06:00 PM
This the correct answer. Honestly it baffles me why people even watch the NBA. The regular season has essentially zero drama, and everyone sits around and waits for the conference finals and finals for maybe 20 fun games to watch among teams that were 99% of the time already predicted to be there.

I follow the Pacers since KC doesn’t have a team and I live in Indy, and they are the absolute perfect example of why the NBA sucks unless you are one of 3-4 teams that dominate an entire decade. When the Pacers traded Paul George for Oladipo, it was actually bad that they didn’t tank and won the trade. Now they are stuck drafting in a spot with a .01% chance to get another all star, and they have 0% chance of signing anyone that good(just like KC would), and all in all they have no chance of beating the Celtics for the next 10 years. It’s actually bad the GM was so good and made a great deal. The amazing thing is the fans around here are all “WOW So proud of this team! Can’t wait until next season! “ and I’m thinking, what are you so happy about? Are you ready for another 5-10 years of being a 3-6 seed and losing in the first and second round? It’s like being in Alex Smith hell all the time only you can’t hold out hope that maybe there’s a Joe Flacco type miracle because that doesn’t exist in the NBA. I don’t see how anyone can find that enjoyable.

They probably think they're gonna be like they were from 2013-2014. But that team had alot of talent and both teams probably lose to the Spurs anyway (2014 certainly would've).

Kiimo
05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
After I got into the NBA I was constantly amazed at the things I used to say about it and the things other ignoramuses continue to say.

If you aren't watching, you don't have a clue. That goes for my fellow KU fans who "can't stand the NBA" even though they don't watch. You just fear getting a diminished college basketball, which is dumb.

GloucesterChief
05-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Not sure why this thread got so long.

What the OP quotes an NBA exec as saying is basically "Taxpayers better pony up cash the next time one of our owners wants you to pay 80%+ of their new stadium which you will see no revenue from or we will move your team." It isn't meant to give hope to people in KC that they may get a franchise, its a veiled threat to any city that might balk at paying hundreds of millions for something they will get nothing out of.

banecat
05-22-2018, 12:15 AM
Tropic Thunder, right?

Never go full retard