PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs One Play at a Time: A Marty Schottenheimer documentary

Stargazer
05-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Man and just seeing this trailer brings back so many memories. Looks like this could be really good:
https://youtu.be/ajmrR8gMAWw

Chiefshrink
05-19-2018, 03:14 PM
You are trolling sir.:rolleyes:

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
“There’s a gleam here”

What?

“A GLEAM DAMNIT!!”

Chiefaholic
05-19-2018, 07:15 PM
You guys have a right to have your own opinions about Marty. But, he had a way to get the most out of his players on the field. As a Chiefs coach, top 3 EASY, as a person, he sincerely loved the game and respected the fans. I look forward to this documentary. And wish the Schottenheimer family many more years together with Marty. It's a shame watching a man lose all the memories that made his coaching career one of the better in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Hell yeah. One of my role models.

crayzkirk
05-19-2018, 07:33 PM
Marty made the mistake of coaching teams that didn't have a great QB. He coached against Elway, Kelly and Marino with scrubs at QB. Montana was a shell of his former self and was better than anything else he had. His firing from the Chargers was a shame because he made a point to his defensive backs that if it was 4th down that the ball should be knocked down, instead the db intercepted it, was stripped and the Patriots recovered.

So many things happened out of his control, The Drive, The Fumble, The Vaseline, The Elvis, The Kicker who shall remain nameless. Those were some fun years where the Chiefs were unbeatable at home in the regular season and Marty went full on idiot in the playoffs.

srvy
05-19-2018, 07:44 PM
You guys have a right to have your own opinions about Marty. But, he had a way to get the most out of his players on the field. As a Chiefs coach, top 3 EASY, as a person, he sincerely loved the game and respected the fans. I look forward to this documentary. And wish the Schottenheimer family many more years together with Marty. It's a shame watching a man lose all the memories that made his coaching career one of the better in the NFL.

Well said and you wont ever hear me say a unkind word about Marty he put football back on the map in KC.

KChiefs1
05-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Love Marty.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Marty is like your first girlfriend. Maybe she wasn't "the one" but you never forget your first piece of ass.

Of course if you're over 50 Marty was just some tramp ho who didn't put out compared to Hank Stram.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-19-2018, 08:22 PM
His Chiefs defenses are legendary, and the primary reason I started watching.

lewdog
05-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Marty never had great teams.

He did have teams that over-achieved though. An above average coach. Always respected him.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-19-2018, 09:12 PM
One of my fav Chiefs coaches

Marty
Vermeil
Reid

|Zach|
05-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Alzheimer's is just a brutal soul crushing thing I would not wish on the family of anyone.

Nickhead
05-20-2018, 01:57 AM
this seems more like a 'this video is for you marty, with every hope that now and then you may remember some of these moments', moment.

we all hated him for the playoff failures, but goddamned was he not a good person and a grounded lifestyle.

hind sight says he's top three in kc, imo? :D

threebag
05-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Loved Marty and his "Raider Weeks" were always great

DJJasonp
05-20-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm a bit older now - but back in the day, I would have ran through a brick wall for that man!

Made chiefs football relevant - and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight - I much prefer the defenses we had in the early 90s and a good ground game, to the vermeil offense and clown-shoes defense of the early 2000s.

srvy
05-20-2018, 04:43 PM
this seems more like a 'this video is for you marty, with every hope that now and then you may remember some of these moments', moment.

we all hated him for the playoff failures, but goddamned was he not a good person and a grounded lifestyle.

hind sight says he's top three in kc, imo? :D

Who could hate Marty he lived and breathed football. He had legendary stubbornness which I think is a trait of good coaches. You dont win flying by the seat of your pants and changing as the wind blows. Marty was to defense what Vermeil was to offense. Neither could put O and D together in KC but they had great teams that made things exciting.

Randallflagg
05-20-2018, 04:44 PM
I'm a bit older now - but back in the day, I would have ran through a brick wall for that man!

Made chiefs football relevant - and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight - I much prefer the defenses we had in the early 90s and a good ground game, to the vermeil offense and clown-shoes defense of the early 2000s.

Marty came to town shortly after We moved here. I saw the Chiefs go from being an outright JOKE of monumental proportions to perennial contenders each year. Sure, the man had his shortcomings - but like you - I would have walked on broken glass for the guy.

The 90s defenses were OUTSTANDING. We could use a dose of that "smash mouth" stuff again...

Every time I have watched that documentary, it breaks my heart. Just like every time I see "A football life" about Derrick Thomas - I get "emotional"....

kgrund
05-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Nobody deserved a ring more than this guy. If he had Ned Yost's luck, he would have had 5 or 6.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Agree about the defenses and Vermeil.
Chiefs defense was brutal and exciting in those days. Now that we have Mahomes, we can get back to work building an extraordinary defense. I contend that Pat Mahomes requires only a maximum of two key players on offense to make hay at any given time. That said and understood, we can stack up on defense, and load up on key players. This will ensure dominance for years to come.

kysirsoze
05-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Love Marty. This looks terrible.

Stargazer
09-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Love Marty. This looks terrible.

Weird, he loved it!

htismaqe
09-24-2018, 02:21 PM
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch anything about Marty Schottenheimer.