PDA

View Full Version : Life I Love Me A Good Funeral

gblowfish
05-31-2018, 08:26 PM
A lot of CPers have been going through a lot of rough stuff lately. I'm a little stressed out, because I have to speak at my mom's funeral on Saturday. She passed on 5/22, and we'll have her service Saturday, just one month shy of her 85th Birthday.

She was a no BS lady, and her name is on a brick with my dad under the Lamar Hunt Statue at Arrowhead. Our family has had season tickets for 51 years. In the 1960s and 1970s she ran the operating room where the Chiefs surgeon did all the surgeries (Menorah Medical Center), like knees and backs and ankles, broken wrists and such. She met a lot of Chiefs players over the years and would visit them before surgery to calm them down. I know she was in on a surgery for Remi Prudhomme, Elmo Wright, Johnny Robinson and others.

I have a very good friend named Vince Cook who is a big time advertising photographer. Does work for Chevy, Bacardi, Remington Arms, lots of others. He's also a very good musician. He wrote a song after his dad died called "I Love Me a Good Funeral." Its one of my favorite songs. If you want to hear it, PM me an email address and I'll send you an MP3.

Our ceremony is very simple, closed casket, minister, and me, saying a few words. Be glad to get through Saturday, that's for sure.

My mom liked a good drink. So, don't feel bad for her, she's in a better place, free of being bedridden and reunited with my dad. Feel free to drink a toast to Mama Blowfish, and throw in a Go CHIEFS. She'd like that. Thanks for the good karma sent our way.

Chief Northman
05-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Nice tribute George. May she rest in peace.

GO CHIEFS!

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear George, sounds like you've been more or less expecting this time to come.

Condolences.

gblowfish
05-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hear George, sounds like you've been more or less expecting this time to come.

Condolences.

Yes, she's been in poor health for a long time. Still not easy to lose a parent. My dad passed in 2011 in January. There was 8 inches of snow on the ground for the funeral in Sedalia. My mom's service is at the exact same place, and it's supposed to be in the 90s. Might storm. Hopefully it'll hold off till we're done.

SAUTO
05-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Condolences George. Very sorry to hear this.

TimBone
05-31-2018, 08:42 PM
Condolences, George. Just raised my beer to her. Go Chiefs!

Otter
05-31-2018, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear George. Ive had the displeasure of being on point at a funeral twice.

I found it best if I put on my best public relatinshion face, smiled and tried to be a positive focal point in the middle of a sad event. Stay strong and follow up with a stiff drink or a good workout afterwards.

Stay strong brother. You know Mom would have wanted you to stand stong and proud.

TrebMaxx
05-31-2018, 08:48 PM
Tipping the bottle up for your Mom! Go Chiefs!

gblowfish
05-31-2018, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear George. Ive had the displeasure of being on point at a funeral twice.

I found it best if I put on my best public relatinshion face, smiled and tried to be a positive focal point in the middle of a sad event. Stay strong and follow up with a stiff drink or a good workout afterwards.

Stay strong brother. You know Mom would have wanted you to stand stong and proud.

Thanks man. I just don't want to go all John Boehner on everyone...

Otter
05-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks man. I just don't want to go all John Boehner on everyone...

Im posting from phone and almost threw it threw a wall trying to edit but the jist is stll there.

Rain Man
05-31-2018, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear, Gblowfish. I'm sure you'll do great.

Fish
05-31-2018, 09:02 PM
Good luck, George. You'll do fine. You have an incredible way with words, and I have no doubt you'll put forth your best to honor your mother. May she rest in peace. I wish you strength.

LoneWolf
05-31-2018, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss George. Do you have a lot of family traveling from out of town for the funeral? It seems like a long time between her passing and the funeral is the reason I’m asking.

Kman34
05-31-2018, 09:14 PM
Sorry for your loss...you will make your mom proud...
Go Chiefs...

DaFace
05-31-2018, 09:16 PM
Sorry for your loss, George. Sounds like she was a hell of a gal.

gblowfish
05-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss George. Do you have a lot of family traveling from out of town for the funeral? It seems like a long time between her passing and the funeral is the reason I’m asking.

She was in Benton, Arkansas. So the funeral home had to send her up to Sedalia. Last weekend being Memorial Day weekend lots of people were out of town. We're expecting probably 30 to 50. A lot of my dad's relatives are 80 or older and can't travel. My sisters both live in Missouri, one in St. Louis, one in Centralia. Family burial plot for mom's side of the family is in Sedalia. It goes back four generations. My dad was laid to rest there in 2011.

mlyonsd
05-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Condolences, prayers, and a hearty GO CHIEFS to your mom. May she rest in peace.

LoneWolf
05-31-2018, 09:46 PM
She was in Benton, Arkansas. So the funeral home had to send her up to Sedalia. Last weekend being Memorial Day weekend lots of people were out of town. We're expecting probably 30 to 50. A lot of my dad's relatives are 80 or older and can't travel. My sisters both live in Missouri, one in St. Louis, one in Centralia. Family burial plot for mom's side of the family is in Sedalia. It goes back four generations. My dad was laid to rest there in 2011.

Thank you for the explanation. May she Rest In Peace.

wazu
05-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Sorry, George. Sounds like a special lady, and your post is a great tribute to her. You will no doubt rise to the occasion again on Saturday. Peace, brother!

Buehler445
05-31-2018, 10:28 PM
Sorry for your loss George.

Al Czervik
05-31-2018, 11:41 PM
Sorry to hear that George....
Thoughts and Prayers to your family....
Sounds like you had a great Mom!!!

Simply Red
06-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Prayers your way friend.

tooge
06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Damn, sorry man. Tough time. Be strong for the family

tmax63
06-01-2018, 06:33 AM
An old Irish toast - May the good Lord have her in Heaven an hour before the Devil knows she's dead. My condolences and prayers are with you and the rest of her family.

scho63
06-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Condolences GB and a PM sent.

Hydrae
06-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Top 10 things about Mom?

I kid of course. I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have been very fortunate, my parents will both be 79 this year. I dread losing them although I know the day will come.

IowaHawkeyeChief
06-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Halfcan
06-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Sorry for your loss, bud. My Mom passed suddenly on New Years Day. It was a terrible way to start this year. I am not over it at all. She was an amazing person and we miss her so much. At least once a week I pick up the phone to call her before realizing she is not there anymore. I have a huge hole in my heart now and every day I am reminded of her in some way.

siberian khatru
06-01-2018, 08:33 AM
So sorry, George.

srvy
06-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Sorry about your Mother George sounds like she was one heck of a Lady.

"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers."

dirk digler
06-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Sorry for your loss George. It has been tough losing both of my parents but I feel I am moving more forward now and time does make things a little easier.

GO CHIEFS!

Chiefaholic
06-01-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your mother, George. She sounds like she was a great lady who is in a better place today and reunited with your father and other family members. My condolences to you and the rest of your family during the grieving process.

HemiEd
06-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Very sorry for your loss George, your tribute will no doubt be one that would make her proud.

The circle of life and time just keeps marching on. It wasn't long ago we were kids with all of our grandparents.

I know you have volumes of fond memories with your Mom to reflect on and she obviously taught you well.

Go Chiefs!

seclark
06-01-2018, 11:24 AM
sounds like a wonderful woman. you're very lucky.
sec

Naptown Chief
06-01-2018, 12:31 PM
My condolences man

GO Chiefs!

LiveSteam
06-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Sorry for your loss

BigRichard
06-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Sorry for your loss and hopefully your family with get through this trying time.

Bewbies
06-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Yes, she's been in poor health for a long time. Still not easy to lose a parent. My dad passed in 2011 in January. There was 8 inches of snow on the ground for the funeral in Sedalia. My mom's service is at the exact same place, and it's supposed to be in the 90s. Might storm. Hopefully it'll hold off till we're done.

I was at a funeral once and it poured graveside. Somehow it made the ceremony even more beautiful.

Sorry for your loss.

bobbymitch
06-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Sorry to hear about her passing. Was her first name Jan? My wife worked at in the OR at Menorah for a time right after it opened and was president of the local AORN chapter.

gblowfish
06-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear about her passing. Was her first name Jan? My wife worked at in the OR at Menorah for a time right after it opened and was president of the local AORN chapter.

Yes, Jan. She was also president of the KC AORN at one time, and a national officer a couple of times in the 1970s-1980s. The obit was in last Sunday's KC Star.

bobbymitch
06-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Yes, Jan. She was also president of the KC AORN at one time, and a national officer a couple of times in the 1970s-1980s. The obit was in last Sunday's KC Star.

Again, sorry. My wife saw the obit.

Al Bundy
06-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear that George, I am very lucky my mom is still alive and kicking.

gblowfish
06-01-2018, 03:56 PM
I'm just hoping my wife didn't buy too much food for the get together afterward. I'm going to need a U-Haul...

Here's a pic of mom and pops on their wedding day in KC in 1955. It was a 102 degree day in KC, no AC in the church back then. They went to Yellowstone and Vancouver for Honeymoon.

jallmon
06-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Otter,"relatinshion"? You've been in CO too long, my friend.

Well George, sounds like the perfect Mother to me! Loves the Chiefs, and now she's free of any sickness so she can really enjoy this season with the rest of us. Go Chiefs!

Spokane Chief Fan
06-01-2018, 03:58 PM
So sorry George.

Kman34
06-01-2018, 04:03 PM
I'm just hoping my wife didn't buy too much food for the get together afterward. I'm going to need a U-Haul...

Here's a pic of mom and pops on their wedding day in KC in 1955. It was a 102 degree day in KC, no AC in the church back then. They went to Yellowstone and Vancouver for Honeymoon.

Wow... 102 degrees... and she had a long sleeved dress....People were a lot tougher back then.... imagine a millennial doing that now.... no way...

kccrow
06-01-2018, 05:55 PM
My condolences. It's good to hear your mother lived a fulfilling life Blowfish. She'll be happy knowing you can celebrate her life and be at peace with her death. A toast to Mama Blowfish. :toast:

mnchiefsguy
06-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Sorry for your loss George.

displacedinMN
06-01-2018, 08:18 PM
GB. You are a great writer. You know what to do and what to say.
Condolences.

TIED5573
06-01-2018, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear, GB.
RIP Mom Blowfish.

SAUTO
06-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Its a nice morning at least. Dont think its raining in Sedalia yet.

Rip Jan and GO CHIEFS

SAUTO
06-02-2018, 12:09 PM
I tried sending flowers but i couldn't find a jblowfish anywhere.

scho63
06-02-2018, 12:20 PM
To Mama Blowfish!

gblowfish
06-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Just got home a while ago. Got the car unloaded and now going to do a couple steaks on the Weber. Then get a good night's sleep. Nice service, glad its all over now. BTW: Thanks for all the kinds words everyone. I told this story about my mom. In the early 1990s, before I was married, my mom wanted to move down to Hot Springs, Arkansas to prepare for retirement, and take care of my grandma, who was in her 80's. They found a house on the lake they wanted that was five minutes by car or boat to grandma's house. But in order to swing the deal, they needed to sell the family homestead in Independence. I was living in a rented two bedroom duplex at the time, and was wanting to buy a house to start building some equity. So mom and dad asked me if I wanted to buy Stately Wayne Minor, the Blowfish homestead. I said, "well, lets get it appraised, and see what the sale price should be." So we did. The appraiser came back with a figure, and I came over for dinner one night, and sat at the dining room table negotiating with mom. Meanwhile, my dad is watching a Royals game in the La-Z-Boy, and doesn't say a word. Mom said "I think the appraisal was too low. I think it should be about two thousand higher. But I tell you what. Since you're my son, I'll split the difference and sell for $1000 above the appraisal." I say "Mom, any Joe Blow off the street would start with the appraisal price, and talk you down, especially since you need to sell quick. I'm not paying over the appraisal price. Just won't do it." So we go round and round for another hour until I finally get up from the table and say "That's it. I'm done. I'm out. You'll have to find another buyer." And I thank her for making dinner and leave. My dad never says a word the entire time. Next afternoon I get home from work. My dad is sitting in his car in my driveway. "What are you doing here?" I say. "Let's go inside" says dad. We go in and sit at the kitchen table. He pulls an envelope out of his jacket. Throws it on the table. I open it, $1,000 in cash. He says "Make the deal, and don't tell your mother."

My dad was a very wise man and I loved him for that. It remained our secret.

I also read the attached passage, which was first delivered by Pastor Henry Scott Holland at King Edward the Seventh's funeral in 1910. This is sometimes read at funerals, and I thought it was appropriate on this day. It was called "Death is Nothing At All:"

"Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is this death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before. How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!"

Otter
06-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Just got home a while ago. Got the car unloaded and now going to do a couple steaks on the Weber. Then get a good night's sleep. Nice service, glad its all over now.

Good to hear that it's over and sounds you're in the best spirits one can hope for all things considered.

gblowfish
06-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks everybody for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Time to get back to real life now and move on.

Why Not?
06-04-2018, 11:52 AM
The passage you choose is one of the best things I have ever read. Seriously. Well done.

Dartgod
06-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Catching up after being gone for a few days and just wanted to offer my condolences George. She sounds like a great mom, may she rest in peace.