PDA

View Full Version : Football Offseason BS - The charitability of the partisan fan

Baby Lee
06-03-2018, 04:47 AM
Now that we're hoping to enter an era of heightened expectations, I was curious is there remained anyone [owner, coach, player, whatever] for whom the prospect of seeing them [particularly if they're in the twlight years of their career] hoist the Lombardi, even if it postpones our own joy for another year.

For me, I can think of one, but only one. His prospects to get there ahead of our young stallions are objectively slim, but the more I think about it, I almost, almost, ALMOST, get as emotional at the prospect as I do daydreaming about the Chiefs.

I thought about waiting to mention who it is for me. And really, sometimes it seems like it should be the most obvious thing ever, but I'll compromise and spoiler it at the outset.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yyVxarT33_Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What say you, anyone else in the league that pulls at your loyalties. . . . If not competely, maybe enough that you won't be able to hide a smile if they hoist the Lombardi in the near future? Someone who has put in the work sufficient to deserve a moment of glory despite your own selfish preferences?

HemiEd
06-03-2018, 05:23 AM
I respect your compassion for Larry Fitzgerald, but honestly, I really don't want anyone not wearing a Chiefs uniform hoisting the Lombardi.

It has been too long, this team has sat on the sidelines waiting to be dancing for an eternity. Fuck everyone else.

If a players wants a Lombardi, follow the lead of Terrell Owens and lobby the Chiefs to put you on the roster. :D

Baby Lee
06-03-2018, 05:29 AM
I respect your compassion for Larry Fitzgerald, but honestly, I really don't want anyone not wearing a Chiefs uniform hoisting the Lombardi.

It has been too long, this team has sat on the sidelines waiting to be dancing for an eternity. Fuck everyone else.

If a players wants a Lombardi, follow the lead of Terrell Owens and lobby the Chiefs to put you on the roster. :D

For Larry, it's not compassion. He's already earned it, but Santonio snatched it out of his hands.

More importantly, I'm not talking about someone anyone would root for over the Chiefs. That's a no-brainer. I'm talking about someone where, even if it came out our expense, you would find room in your heart to be happy for were to it happen.

If no one can think of someone in the present arena, maybe talk about people in the past where you put aside your personal preference because their story was personally compelling enough for you [say, if Barry Sanders had walked off the field an NFL champion, or if Steve Largent had ever won one, Marino, Cris Carter, etc., or I suppose if there were people who were happy for Bettis' bullshit victory lap].

HemiEd
06-03-2018, 05:43 AM
For Larry, it's not compassion. He's already earned it, but Santonio snatched it out of his hands.

More importantly, I'm not talking about someone anyone would root for over the Chiefs. That's a no-brainer. I'm talking about someone where, even if it came out our expense, you would find room in your heart to be happy for were to it happen.

If no one can think of someone in the present arena, maybe talk about people in the past where you put aside your personal preference because their story was personally compelling enough for you [say, if Barry Sanders had walked off the field an NFL champion, or if Steve Largent had ever won one, Marino, Cris Carter, etc., or I suppose if there were people who were happy for Bettis' bullshit victory lap].Ok, I get it, I think. Excuse me as I am only on my second cup of coffee. :D

Barry Sanders would have been the most perfect example for me now that you mention him. He went to HS with my eldest daughter. He was humble and a very good person even though his Dad was a dirt bag. I did catch myself rooting for the hopeless Lions during his tenure.

Another would have been Fran Tarkenton, loved the guy and he was a blast to watch. That would have been a "two for" as Bud Grant would have received his as well.

Baby Lee
06-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Ok, I get it, I think. Excuse me as I am only on my second cup of coffee. :D

Barry Sanders would have been the most perfect example for me now that you mention him. He went to HS with my eldest daughter. He was humble and a very good person even though his Dad was a dirt bag. I did catch myself rooting for the hopeless Lions during his tenure.

Another would have been Fran Tarkenton, loved the guy and he was a blast to watch. That would have been a "two for" as Bud Grant would have received his as well.

Speaking of Barry, glanced at the 1989 draft. Few if any regrets picking DT, but man. Has there ever been a top of the draft like that year.

Derrick Thomas
Troy Aikman
Barry Sanders
Deion Sanders

4 guys in the running for the best in the history of the game at their respective positions.

oh, and Tony Mandarich and Rodney Peete.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-03-2018, 06:05 AM
No one

LoneWolf
06-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Speaking of Barry, glanced at the 1989 draft. Few if any regrets picking DT, but man. Has there ever been a top of the draft like that year.

Derrick Thomas
Troy Aikman
Barry Sanders
Deion Sanders

4 guys in the running for the best in the history of the game at their respective positions.

oh, and Tony Mandarich and Rodney Peete.

There isn’t a world that exists where Troy Aikman is in the running for the best QB in the history of the game. He’s probably not a top 20 QB of all time.

Baby Lee
06-03-2018, 06:15 AM
There isn’t a world that exists where Troy Aikman is in the running for the best QB in the history of the game. He’s probably not a top 20 QB of all time.

Make up your minds on standards for excellence. 3 SB wins, no losses puts you in the running nigh onto automatically.

We've had this argument over and over. Usually I'm the one on the other side. Aikman is a game manager, but he's also a champion undefeated in the SB.

My point was more about the draft year anyway. Tell me you wouldn't any and/or all of those four over just about anything we've drafted in the nearly 30 years since.

LoneWolf
06-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Make up your minds on standards for excellence. 3 SB wins, no losses puts you in the running nigh onto automatically.

We've had this argument over and over. Usually I'm the one on the other side. Aikman is a game manager, but he's also a champion undefeated in the SB.

My point was more about the draft year anyway. Tell me you wouldn't any and/or all of those four over just about anything we've drafted in the nearly 30 years since.

Aikman was a product of an outstanding offensive line and one of the best running backs in the game. There are numerous QBs of that era who could have won 3 Super Bowls with that team.

I agree that I would take Aikman over just about any draft pick the Chiefs have had in the 30 years since that draft (Mahomes excluded), but that is more of a commentary on the Chiefs lack of QB success in those years than it is Aikman’s place among the great QBs.

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Ok, I get it, I think. Excuse me as I am only on my second cup of coffee. :D

Ditto on Tarkenton and Grant. My mother was a Fran fan growing up. She watched some heartbreakers. Her sister, my aunt, was a Steelers fan. Exact opposite for her. She watched a team with incredible luck and good fortune.

But Fran and Bud deserved a title. They just had the incredible misfortune to play some of the best AFC teams in the 1970s. Any other era, they win, at least, two titles.

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Not really. Every player who enters the league would love to win a super bowl but being able to retire with millions in the bank and relatively good health is doing pretty ****ing sweet. Look at someone like Joe Thomas from the Browns. One of the best to ever play his position yet never sniffed the playoffs. Guy got paid while he was in the league and got to walk away on his own terms.

In baseball one of the unsung guys I was super stoked to see win a ring with the Royals was Luke Hochevar. Luke never lived up to expectations and ran hot and cold in his starts. Luke played on some horrendous Royals teams and took a bunch of shit from us fans. I thought he was pretty solid in his role in the World Series. Couldn’t have been happier for him for sticking it out.

mlyonsd
06-03-2018, 07:54 AM
It would have to be an ex-Chief. One of my all time favorite players still playing is DJ. But seeing where he went fuck that.

I do think it would be hysterical if it happened to AS. The board would go into meltdown and it would be awesome to watch.

jjchieffan
06-03-2018, 08:27 AM
It would have to be an ex-Chief. One of my all time favorite players still playing is DJ. But seeing where he went **** that.

I do think it would be hysterical if it happened to AS. The board would go into meltdown and it would be awesome to watch.

I was thinking the same about DJ. Had he gone to, say, the 49ers, I would have been happy for him. But no way do I want to see the Fade win it. Same goes for Charles and the Donks. Smith, I would be okay with. I bear no I'll will for the Redskins. And you're right, the meltdown on CP would be hilarious. The Alexsexuals would return to drag their nutsacks across the face of SDH and his cohorts. SDH's head might actually explode. LMAO

Sandy Vagina
06-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Smith, I would be okay with. I bear no I'll will for the Redskins. And you're right, the meltdown on CP would be hilarious. The Alexsexuals would return to drag their nutsacks across the face of SDH and his cohorts. SDH's head might actually explode. LMAO

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3o6nUQzqxbf5yv4TEA/giphy.gif

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-03-2018, 10:00 AM
It would have to be an ex-Chief. One of my all time favorite players still playing is DJ. But seeing where he went **** that.

Plus, it would mean the Redskins won so PC heads would explore.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I get emotional

shocking

Best22
06-03-2018, 06:15 PM

Alex Smith probably leads the 1993 Cowboys to a Superbowl win

RealSNR
06-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I had a soft spot for Joe Thomas but as long as he chose to re sign with that shitty team, he was doomed

Naptown Chief
06-03-2018, 08:13 PM
I could live with AZ winning if the Chiefs had no chance that year.

Now if you changed the scenario to "Who you'd like to see gang raped by a bus full of escaped convicts," I'd, without a second thought, have to go with Rapistberger

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2018, 03:14 AM
I had a soft spot for Joe Thomas but as long as he chose to re sign with that shitty team, he was doomed

Rather be in his position than Super Bowl winning Michael Gleason. Championships are great but I don’t blame anyone for setting themselves up for a huge payday.

Best22
06-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Rather be in his position than Super Bowl winning Michael Gleason. Championships are great but I don’t blame anyone for setting themselves up for a huge payday.

Wow. So it's better to play for the Browns than to have ALS

What a ringing endorsement of the Browns

HemiEd
06-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Ditto on Tarkenton and Grant. My mother was a Fran fan growing up. She watched some heartbreakers. Her sister, my aunt, was a Steelers fan. Exact opposite for her. She watched a team with incredible luck and good fortune.

But Fran and Bud deserved a title. They just had the incredible misfortune to play some of the best AFC teams in the 1970s. Any other era, they win, at least, two titles.

Exactly. Bud was pure class and Fran Tarkenton was a blast to watch. I have had a like for the Vikings since those days.

WhiteWhale
06-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Alex Smith probably leads the 1993 Cowboys to a Superbowl win

I know you guys look at the stats and the low totals and think it's the same, but trust me... on 3rd and 10 you want Aikman.

It's not close.