PDA

View Full Version : Life D-DAY Remembrance Thread

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
https://goo.gl/images/s0sWj9

God bless all those brave Americans who stormed the beaches for the freedom of others.

Feel free to share any stories you have. (Family members present, visiting the battlefield etc)

WhawhaWhat
06-06-2018, 08:58 AM
https://i.redd.it/bxd4dwgygb211.jpg

MoreBeer
06-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Awesome pic!! Had to possess balls of steel to land on that beach...God bless those that fell that day-

BleedingRed
06-06-2018, 09:22 AM
It's amazing to think about what those guys went through,

- No tank support (Poor bastards in tanks)
- Low Tide (much more land to cover)
- Pre-sighted Mortars and MG nests with double and sometimes triple crossfire zones
- Tripod mounted MG42's (One of the best machine guns ever built 2,000 round per minute)
- German Artillery that was not hit from bombing
- A harden German position with a combat harden German unit instead of conscripts (can you even believe what D-Day would look like if Utah/Juno/Sword/Gold would have been just as bad as Omaha?! Would have been talking 20-50K dead in one day)

Thank god at least at Omaha some Naval Captains literally BEACHED their destroyers to direct fire on the pillboxes.

I've read alot of great books about D-Day but my favorite will always be...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71yfM33gAgL.jpg

Strongside
06-06-2018, 09:45 AM
I was fortunate enough to visit Normandy last April with my wife. We did the full D-Day tour, and then did a guided "Band of Brothers" tour where we followed in the footsteps of Easy Company from Normandy to Bastogne. It was incredible, awe-inspiring, and humbling.

Setting foot in the places where so many men gave their lives in the fight against true, unconditional evil is something I'll never forget.

We had visited Oscar Schindler's factory and Auschwitz in Poland just days prior, so seeing first had what these men were fighting for made it all the more impactful.

Pointe Du Hoc was insane. The US Government owns the land, and it is a protected battlefield site – it has literally not changed since the war. The battlefield is littered with craters and bunkers – most of which are riddled with bullet holes on the inside. If you don't know the story of Pointe Du Hoc, look it up. It gives me goosebumps. The 2nd and 5th US Army Ranger battalions assaulted the point, which is a 100+ foot vertical cliff. Even though the site had been under heavy bombing, it was still heavily occupied by the German 352nd. The Rangers climbed the cliff with a FUCKING GRAPPLING HOOK and stormed the bunkers. Their reinforcements launched late due to timing issues, and accidentally landed on Omaha, far down the shoreline. This left nearly 300 Rangers pinned against the shoreline with limited supplies and ammo. Days later, when reinforcements were able to work around behind the Nazis, the 2 battalions had been reduced to around 90 men. The bunkers are FULL of bullet holes. The wooden ceilings are charred from flame throwers. It's unreal.

The cemetery at Omaha Beach is beyond words. I have two great uncles from opposite sides of my family buried there, which I knew going in...but I was shocked to see that these two men were buried just 4 graves from one another. They both died on the same day, D-Day, and were the same age. Imagine that. These two guys who never met one another stormed a beach and gave their lives so that their family members could eventually cross paths and make my existence possible. That's incredible.

The most powerful thing we witnessed, without a doubt, was a rendition of the National Anthem at the cemetery. In attendance were about 8 veterans who had fought on the beach. From the vantage point, you overlook the cemetery, and down below...the beach. All of them stood to salute the flag, sobbing. One man was wheelchair bound, and his son and grandson held him upright at his request.

They call these guys the greatest generation for a reason.

BleedingRed
06-06-2018, 09:48 AM
I was fortunate enough to visit Normandy last April with my wife. We did the full D-Day tour, and then did a guided "Band of Brothers" tour where we followed in the footsteps of Easy Company from Normandy to Bastogne. It was incredible, awe-inspiring, and humbling.

Setting foot in the places where so many men gave their lives in the fight against true, unconditional evil is something I'll never forget.

We had visited Oscar Schindler's factory and Auschwitz in Poland just days prior, so seeing first had what these men were fighting for made it all the more impactful.

Pointe Du Hoc was insane. The US Government owns the land, and it is a protected battlefield site – it has literally not changed since the war. The battlefield is littered with craters and bunkers – most of which are riddled with bullet holes on the inside. If you don't know the story of Pointe Du Hoc, look it up. It gives me goosebumps. The 2nd and 5th US Army Ranger battalions assaulted the point, which is a 100+ foot vertical cliff. Even though the site had been under heavy bombing, it was still heavily occupied by the German 352nd. The Rangers climbed the cliff with a ****ING GRAPPLING HOOK and stormed the bunkers. Their reinforcements launched late due to timing issues, and accidentally landed on Omaha, far down the shoreline. This left nearly 300 Rangers pinned against the shoreline with limited supplies and ammo. Days later, when reinforcements were able to work around behind the Nazis, the 2 battalions had been reduced to around 90 men. The bunkers are FULL of bullet holes. The wooden ceilings are charred from flame throwers. It's unreal.

The cemetery at Omaha Beach is beyond words. I have two great uncles from opposite sides of my family buried there, which I knew going in...but I was shocked to see that these two men were buried just 4 graves from one another. They both died on the same day, D-Day, and were the same age. Imagine that. These two guys who never met one another stormed a beach and gave their lives so that their family members could eventually cross paths and make my existence possible. That's incredible.

The most powerful thing we witnessed, without a doubt, was a rendition of the National Anthem at the cemetery. In attendance were about 8 veterans who had fought on the beach. From the vantage point, you overlook the cemetery, and down below...the beach. All of them stood to salute the flag, sobbing. One man was wheelchair bound, and his son and grandson held him upright at his request.

One of my bucket lists is to go see this, I bet I would be moved to tear like I was at Arlington cemetery

O.city
06-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Ultimate respect for what they did. Unreal.

We did the Pearl Harbor thing a few years back when we were there. Really interesting experience.

Planning to do the Normandy one soon.

Strongside
06-06-2018, 09:54 AM
One of my bucket lists is to go see this, I bet I would be moved to tear like I was at Arlington cemetery

Do it man. It's worth whatever $$ it takes. And whenever you do go, do guided tours. I have studied up enough on WW2 to know a lot. But I was shocked at how little I did know compared to the experts.

That, and they have access to private farms and battle sites that are not publicly accessible.

You'll be shocked at how much rural France looks like the Kansas City countryside. That, and how little it's changed since the war. There are still mass amounts of buildings with holes in the sides of them, or bullet holes in stone walls, etc.

The other amazing thing is that, in Paris, they don't care much for Americans. In Normandy, they love us. One waiter we talked to actually told us "I'd be speaking German if it were not for Americans."

Shag
06-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Pointe Du Hoc was insane. The US Government owns the land, and it is a protected battlefield site – it has literally not changed since the war. The battlefield is littered with craters and bunkers – most of which are riddled with bullet holes on the inside. If you don't know the story of Pointe Du Hoc, look it up. It gives me goosebumps. The 2nd and 5th US Army Ranger battalions assaulted the point, which is a 100+ foot vertical cliff. Even though the site had been under heavy bombing, it was still heavily occupied by the German 352nd. The Rangers climbed the cliff with a FUCKING GRAPPLING HOOK and stormed the bunkers. Their reinforcements launched late due to timing issues, and accidentally landed on Omaha, far down the shoreline. This left nearly 300 Rangers pinned against the shoreline with limited supplies and ammo. Days later, when reinforcements were able to work around behind the Nazis, the 2 battalions had been reduced to around 90 men. The bunkers are FULL of bullet holes. The wooden ceilings are charred from flame throwers. It's unreal.

I didn't do a formal tour, but did some of the BoB tour on my own, and had the same experience - harrowing, to put it mildly. Pointe du Hoc was absolutely unbelievable - the size and quantity of the craters was insane, and the idea of scaling that cliff is crazy. Walking on Omaha, and seeing the pillboxes still in the bluffs was incredibly humbling - it's almost inconceivable the beach was taken. The feats of that day are truly incredible.

KC Dan
06-06-2018, 02:46 PM
I didn't do a formal tour, but did some of the BoB tour on my own, and had the same experience - harrowing, to put it mildly. Pointe du Hoc was absolutely unbelievable - the size and quantity of the craters was insane, and the idea of scaling that cliff is crazy. Walking on Omaha, and seeing the pillboxes still in the bluffs was incredibly humbling - it's almost inconceivable the beach was taken. The feats of that day are truly incredible.
Agreed. So, so humbling. Visited a few years ago. Looking out the pill boxes on Omaha with the tide out and I teared up. Our guys were sitting ducks... Not to mention the church where US medics took care of german and Allied wounded and there is still blood stains on the pews with stained glass windows featuring American paratroopers...

Iowanian
06-06-2018, 02:55 PM
My granddad was a medic but was across the sea in England and followed behind the wave to Berlin working mostly in the field hospitals from my understanding. He didn't talk about it very much.

The Ironic part for me is that he had boots on the ground in England, France, Germany and was in Berlin during the occupation hating Russians(hated them and said in many ways we fought the wrong People..not to dilute the obvious reasons to fight Germany, he said the German people were good.)

He was one of the guys who wouldn't stand to be honored when they ask for veterans and didn't want a Military funeral because he didn't think he deserved it because he wasn't Infantry. I understand...but I don't understand. Perspective I guess and he saw so many bad things that happened to the men he called the true heroes.

BigRedChief
06-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Use to have a neighbor that was the only survivor of his unit that landed on Omaha beach. Served in Europe until the war was over. The neighbors had no clue he was in WWII. He was a retired teacher to them.

The guy walked bent over at the waist with a bad back. He insisted in bringing the trashcans back up from the street to our and the rest of the neighbors houses weekly. I went out one day to help and he said, "I may be slow these days but I learned a thing or two in the military, dont touch these cans or youll find out what I was taught". And then he smiled real big and went back to struggling with the trash cans.

BleedingRed
06-06-2018, 03:01 PM

I'm a WWII buff I have read so much stuff and it's still not even scratching the surface.

But one cool bit about D-Day is that several Naval Captains literally BEACHED their destroyers on Omaha to train their guns right at the Pill Boxes.
https://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/uss_arkansas_bb-33_fires_her_guns_at_german_positions.jpg
People don't seem to understand that the entirety of the 1st wave was almost wiped out completely. (here is a picture they did to illustrate it)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-jfoK2Hba8k0/UklkcuTX91I/AAAAAAAAs7Y/CKL_SZCfdbs/fallen-9000-6%25255B6%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

The is mention of it in the book "The Longest Day", but there is also a book from a German perspective. Two German pilots took off in their FW-190 and came over the landing sites....... The German pilot lead literally said something to the affect of "The war is already over" when he saw the 4,000+ ship fleet
https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/7/159/large_000000.jpg

Amnorix
06-06-2018, 03:26 PM
The other amazing thing is that, in Paris, they don't care much for Americans. In Normandy, they love us. One waiter we talked to actually told us "I'd be speaking German if it were not for Americans."

Spent a week in France, and all but one day of it in Paris. This was not my experience at all. Just FTR.

The one day I didn't spend in Paris was spent travelling to Normandy to take a tour of the D-Day beaches, etc. It was fantastic. Very interesting, informative, humbling etc. One day is pretty rushed, and it' s a long day if you do it as a day trip out of Paris, but I highly recommend going there one way or another.

Note, while there you (unlike me :( ) should check out the Bayeux Tapestry.

It's RIGHT. DAMN. THERE. And yet we just could not squeeze it in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry

Amnorix
06-06-2018, 03:48 PM
So one of the neatest facts about D-Day is that on that day, in addition to the largest invasion fleet in the history of the world hitting the beaches of Normandy, the SECOND largest invasion fleet in the history of the world had just sortied out of Pearl the day before. The US Fifth Fleet, heading for Saipan and soon to engage in the Battle of the Phillipines Sea, often called the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot, which ultimately ended Japan's ability to engage in large fleet engagements. Fifth Fleet included some 800 ships. As a result of this battle, Admiral Nagumo, who had commanded the carrier fleet which hit Pearl, committed suicide, and Hideki Tojo, Prime Minister of Japan since the start of the war, resigned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Philippine_Sea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saipan

stevieray
06-06-2018, 04:08 PM
SALUTE.

Words can hardly express what they accomplished for humanity and the World..

MVChiefFan
06-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Pointe Du Hoc was insane. The US Government owns the land, and it is a protected battlefield site – it has literally not changed since the war. The battlefield is littered with craters and bunkers – most of which are riddled with bullet holes on the inside. If you don't know the story of Pointe Du Hoc, look it up. It gives me goosebumps. The 2nd and 5th US Army Ranger battalions assaulted the point, which is a 100+ foot vertical cliff. Even though the site had been under heavy bombing, it was still heavily occupied by the German 352nd. The Rangers climbed the cliff with a ****ING GRAPPLING HOOK and stormed the bunkers. Their reinforcements launched late due to timing issues, and accidentally landed on Omaha, far down the shoreline. This left nearly 300 Rangers pinned against the shoreline with limited supplies and ammo. Days later, when reinforcements were able to work around behind the Nazis, the 2 battalions had been reduced to around 90 men. The bunkers are FULL of bullet holes. The wooden ceilings are charred from flame throwers. It's unreal.

Wow! This is unbelievable and had me in tears. Such amazing stories, thank you so much for sharing. I absolutely HAVE to do this someday.

KS Smitty
06-06-2018, 09:33 PM
My uncle, Grant, survived the initial landing but lost his life in August. I cannot imagine the horror that man saw and suffered in those 60 days.

MVChiefFan
06-06-2018, 10:09 PM
My great uncle landed at Omaha Beach and took a bullet in the back. It was about 1/8” from his spine and no doctor would touch it. He passed a few years back at 90 years old, with the bullet still there.

Dunit35
06-11-2018, 09:01 PM
This thread had me opening up my dream to visit Normandy for the first time.

I booked a five day guided tour of Normandy in August. It cost a small fortune but it has been a dream of mine for many years.

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-07-2022, 04:52 PM
Felt like this year's anniversary wasn't celebrated much.

PHOG
06-07-2022, 04:54 PM
They mentioned it today on our local news, and I'm like, WTF? It's a day late?

saphojunkie
06-07-2022, 05:09 PM
If anyone ever needs any tips or travel advice, I lived in Normandy. Going back in January. My buddy got his grandfather's serial number tattooed there. Pretty special experience.

I'll tell you this: folks in Normandy remember and appreciate the American sacrifice in a way people here don't.

DCTwister
06-07-2022, 08:20 PM
Hey I am going to Normandy next summer with my teenage son. I’ve been to France several times but never been to the beaches. Looking forward to it. Any specific advice for how to spend let’s say 3 days in Normandy?

If anyone ever needs any tips or travel advice, I lived in Normandy. Going back in January. My buddy got his grandfather's serial number tattooed there. Pretty special experience.

I'll tell you this: folks in Normandy remember and appreciate the American sacrifice in a way people here don't.

Dunit35
06-07-2022, 08:32 PM
We went in 2018. It was an awesome experience. Four days, checked out all the beaches, Pointe Du Hoc, one of the batteries (can’t remember the name), several museums. Their museums are incredible.

Wish we would’ve had more time to see more.

TinyEvel
06-07-2022, 10:44 PM
I am so intrigued by D-day and what it must've taken for those boys to do what they did. Amazing.

One book I recently read, and it's surprisingly awesome. D-DAY THROUGH GERMAN EYES.

A journalist with the German version of "Stars and Stripes" G.I. magazine interviewed the soldiers manning the Atlantic wall in April of 1944. Five years after the war ended, he located some of the surviving soldiers he had met with, and interviewed them again asking what their experience was like on June 6.

You get a really personal account from many perspectives. None of them are pro-nazi. In fact, it almost is a report on the futility of the war. But several times you get to hear the fear in their words as they saw the might of the unstoppable Allied forces. Worth a read.

saphojunkie
06-08-2022, 12:31 AM
Hey I am going to Normandy next summer with my teenage son. I’ve been to France several times but never been to the beaches. Looking forward to it. Any specific advice for how to spend let’s say 3 days in Normandy?

Absolutely. The city of Cherbourg is about 200,000 people and great. It's right on the channel at the northern coast of the Normandie peninsula. I actually love that place. It's about 1.5 hour drive on the freeway (you drive on the right, super easy, but renting a car in France can be a BITCH). it has bars, restaurants, one of the best chocolatier/pastry chefs in france, a big square, a casino, shopping, and boats. What's not to love? There's even a McDonald's there. yes, I had a royale with cheese. Yes, I was hung over.

Closer to Omaha Beach is the town of Bayeaux. This has an old castle and great atmosphere. Do you like oysters? If not... I suggest you learn to. The oysters in Normandie are fucking outstanding. Bayaux isn't as big as Cherbourg, but it's super pretty, a million years old, and has restaurants and stuff to do. It's in the heart of the invasion, so everyone speaks and is used to English. If you learn to say "je suis desole, je non parle pas francais. (I'm sorry, I don't speak French) everyone will smile, be super thankful that you learned to say one thing in their native tongue, and happily talk to you in as much English as they know, which is often quite a lot.

For three days, I'd give yourself one full day to hit Utah and another to go to Omaha. Omaha and Utah beaches are both on the east coast of the peninsula, whereas Cherbourg is at the top. Hiring a guide is great. When you get closer, let me know. There is a kick ass guide there. British dude who is just a junkie for all things D-Day. He has reunited survivors with the families of soldiers that died saving them. he also has "enough guns to arm a small African rebellion." (his words lol). I think he also has his own plane. Dude was amazing and a wealth of knowledge. A plane went down in what is now his back yard and he learned every crewman's name, how they died and where, and where they were from. He was kick ass.

You want to see the town of Saint Mere Eglise, which is where the paratrooper was stuck on the roof of a church for a whole day. They still have a dummy hanging from it to honor him.

The best way to get to Normandie is fly into Paris, take a $50 cab or $30 uber to the train station SAINT-LAZARE. From there it's a 3 hour train ride to Valognes or Cherbourg - one stop away from each other. Don't bother springing for first class - it doesn't matter. Just sit anywhere that doesn't have a light on above it.

The important thing to know about the peninsula is that it's super accessible by freeway, but everything closes by 7PM. Nothing is open on Sundays. Never order anduoillette (unless you love eating soft pig intestines). Stick to seafood everywhere you go, and you won't go wrong. Promise.

For staying, I'd actually recommend that you stay in Cherbourg and drive to the beaches, as opposed to staying near the beaches and driving to Cherbourg. There is a museum at both Utah and Omaha, but Omaha is pretty damn conclusive.

If you decide to stay near the beaches, then Bayeaux (pronounced like Scott Baio) is a great choice. there are hotels and air bnbs galore. Again, great oysters and seafood in general. Beef? well... let's just say they aren't from KC.

I'll be back there for a few months in January, feel free to hit me up for any other info, and I'll drop it here if I think of it.

Otter
06-08-2022, 10:18 AM
I have no words but 'thank you' to those men.

Jenson71
06-08-2022, 10:38 AM
saphojunkie -- thank you!

I was fortunate enough to visit Omaha Beach in 2005. A cemetery is at the top of the bluff. It is peaceful and beautiful. Going to an American military cemetery in Europe should be on anyone's bucket list. Since I've been there, the Museum was built, and I look forward to a second visit, likely next year.

According to the squad leader that my grandfather served under, he landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day +44 -- July 20. He ended up getting shot three times (and survived, though the bullet in the ear impacted his hearing for the remainder of his life), but not on the beaches, which by then, had been secured. I believe he was injured in the Netherlands. He also made it to Germany. By that time, after the Bulge, some German citizens, even kids, were shooting at Allied soldiers from their home windows.

DCTwister
06-10-2022, 04:52 PM
This is outstanding, thank you. I speak/understand just enough French to get around and keep out of trouble. I will have a year to dust off those skills so I will be good to go. These are all awesome suggestions. Really looking forward to it. I’ve been to Paris a bunch of times but not in over a decade, and I’ve only swung through Normandy / Brittany once twenty years ago, and didn’t do anything WWII related except visit that museum. It would be awesome to go on the anniversary of D-Day, but that’s not going to happen as school is still in session until mid-June out here on the East coast. I’ll save this and don’t be surprised if I hit you up again in another 6-8 months as I nail down plans.

Absolutely. The city of Cherbourg is about 200,000 people and great. It's right on the channel at the northern coast of the Normandie peninsula. I actually love that place. It's about 1.5 hour drive on the freeway (you drive on the right, super easy, but renting a car in France can be a BITCH). it has bars, restaurants, one of the best chocolatier/pastry chefs in france, a big square, a casino, shopping, and boats. What's not to love? There's even a McDonald's there. yes, I had a royale with cheese. Yes, I was hung over.

Closer to Omaha Beach is the town of Bayeaux. This has an old castle and great atmosphere. Do you like oysters? If not... I suggest you learn to. The oysters in Normandie are ****ing outstanding. Bayaux isn't as big as Cherbourg, but it's super pretty, a million years old, and has restaurants and stuff to do. It's in the heart of the invasion, so everyone speaks and is used to English. If you learn to say "je suis desole, je non parle pas francais. (I'm sorry, I don't speak French) everyone will smile, be super thankful that you learned to say one thing in their native tongue, and happily talk to you in as much English as they know, which is often quite a lot.

For three days, I'd give yourself one full day to hit Utah and another to go to Omaha. Omaha and Utah beaches are both on the east coast of the peninsula, whereas Cherbourg is at the top. Hiring a guide is great. When you get closer, let me know. There is a kick ass guide there. British dude who is just a junkie for all things D-Day. He has reunited survivors with the families of soldiers that died saving them. he also has "enough guns to arm a small African rebellion." (his words lol). I think he also has his own plane. Dude was amazing and a wealth of knowledge. A plane went down in what is now his back yard and he learned every crewman's name, how they died and where, and where they were from. He was kick ass.

You want to see the town of Saint Mere Eglise, which is where the paratrooper was stuck on the roof of a church for a whole day. They still have a dummy hanging from it to honor him.

The best way to get to Normandie is fly into Paris, take a $50 cab or $30 uber to the train station SAINT-LAZARE. From there it's a 3 hour train ride to Valognes or Cherbourg - one stop away from each other. Don't bother springing for first class - it doesn't matter. Just sit anywhere that doesn't have a light on above it.

The important thing to know about the peninsula is that it's super accessible by freeway, but everything closes by 7PM. Nothing is open on Sundays. Never order anduoillette (unless you love eating soft pig intestines). Stick to seafood everywhere you go, and you won't go wrong. Promise.

For staying, I'd actually recommend that you stay in Cherbourg and drive to the beaches, as opposed to staying near the beaches and driving to Cherbourg. There is a museum at both Utah and Omaha, but Omaha is pretty damn conclusive.

If you decide to stay near the beaches, then Bayeaux (pronounced like Scott Baio) is a great choice. there are hotels and air bnbs galore. Again, great oysters and seafood in general. Beef? well... let's just say they aren't from KC.

I'll be back there for a few months in January, feel free to hit me up for any other info, and I'll drop it here if I think of it.