PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will the chiefs draft a player in the supplemental draft?

Chief Roundup
06-06-2018, 05:40 PM
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/06/06/2018-nfl-supplemental-draft-kansas-city-chiefs-adonis-alexander/

Adonis Alexander has been declared academically ineligible for the 2018 college season. Could the Chiefs be looking to add him in the supplemental draft?

Life tends to act in funny ways, sometimes it will knock you down into the dirt and laugh at you. Other times it will give you a random stroke of luck that you desperately needed.

The Kansas City Chiefs may have had the latter situation fall right into their laps. Adonis Alexander was recently declared academically ineligible for the upcoming 2018 college season.

Alexander, a corner that has been attending Virginia Tech for the past three years released this statement following the news:

There may be some of you wondering about what in the world the NFL’s Supplemental Draft is. No one would blame you for this. The supplemental draft has primarily been treated similarly to that family member you never want to introduce to anyone. That is for good reason. The NFL supplemental draft was implemented in 1977. Since then there have only been 43 players selected over the 41 years it has been around. The supplemental draft was made for players that had become ineligible for the college season after the more traditional NFL draft had been held.

The supplemental draft is much more of a bidding war than anything else. There is still a draft order, but teams first enter in names of players that they interest them. After that, they then apply a pick to that player, if two teams apply a pick from the same round then whoever holds the higher pick wins.

It is a bit of an odd process, but one that has paid off for teams in the past. There was a special supplemental draft held in 1984 for college players that had already signed with other leagues. That draft produced some of the best football players ever to play. They were Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman, and Reggie White.

This draft comes with a major catch though. If a team decides to choose a player in the supplemental draft, they will lose that corresponding pick the next season. For example, if Kansas City were to choose Alexander in the third-round of the draft they would lose their third-round pick in the 2019 draft. This has led to the majority of players being chosen in the later rounds of the draft. Josh Gordon is the most recent high round pick, having been chosen in the second round of the 2012 draft by the Clevland Browns.

This leaves the Chiefs in a unique position. Kansas City is very thin at the cornerback position, so having a talented corner possibly drop into their laps could be that stroke of luck needed to help solidify the position. Especially when the outlook for the position going past 2018 is bleak at the moment. The real question is whether Alexander is even worth drafting. I decided to look at the few games on draftbreakdown to see if there was any real reason to be excited about him.

First, let’s start off with the good things that Alexander showed in his game film:

This was the very first thing that stood out to me about Alexander. He has no fear when it comes to getting physical, something that some fans have been critical about with recent Chiefs corners.

What do you college watchers/draftniks think of this kid?

KChiefs1
06-06-2018, 05:41 PM
No

OKchiefs
06-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Apparently Sam Beal from Western Michigan is entering as well.

I don't see why they wouldn't try, depending on if they sign off on any character concerns. If they determine one of these guys would have a 2nd-3rd round grade, and if they have an immediate need at corner (they do), why not add a corner now instead of waiting a year?

OKchiefs
06-06-2018, 06:35 PM
No

Nice input

Skyy God
06-06-2018, 06:36 PM
No

This.

Chiefs have never, in recent memory, burned a pick in the supplemental.

saphojunkie
06-06-2018, 06:46 PM
This.

Or drafted a QB in the first.

OKchiefs
06-06-2018, 06:53 PM
This.

Has Veach been our GM in recent memory?

TrebMaxx
06-06-2018, 06:54 PM
I would only throw a bid on him in the 6th round. He has some length both in height and reach. Good at disrupting the route at the line of scrimmage and can cover bigger receivers. But he does seem to come with baggage. While at VT he missed games for breaking team rules in 2016, 2017 and didn't make grades to be eligible for this year, thus the supplemental draft. His stats also fell off last year and some observers thought it looked like he was taking plays off.

HemiEd
06-06-2018, 06:56 PM
This was the very first thing that stood out to me about Alexander. He has no fear when it comes to getting physical, something that some fans have been critical about with recent Chiefs corners.

I am in.

HemiEd
06-06-2018, 06:58 PM
This.

and that is a reason to not do it this time?

You are such a genious. this board is so fortunate to have you

KChiefs1
06-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Nice input

Question was asked & I answered.

jjchieffan
06-06-2018, 07:52 PM
I was trying to find a date for it, but only found an article saying that the date for it had not been set yet. But, I looked further and saw that last year, it was in mid July. Interesting tidbit, the last player selected in the supplemental draft was drafted in 2015 by the Rams, but later signed by the Chiefs. Isaah Battle

penchief
06-06-2018, 09:19 PM
This.

Darren Mickell

oldman
06-07-2018, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't give up anything more than a 6th, no matter how thin we are at CB. Here's a thought, how dumb must this guy be if he's academically ineligible? If he can't pass 12 hours per semester of jock classes with the help of a tutor, what kind of student of the game will he be at a pro level?

ct
06-07-2018, 08:54 AM
CB Sam Beal (W. Michigan) interest anyone?

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/06/06/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-to-apply-for-nfl-supplemental-draft/

Sounds awful tempting to me, much more so than the other 2 DBs entering the supplemental draft.

I'd throw a 3rd out there for this guy, given we have two 2nds but no 4th. just dont see a 5th getting it done here.

carcosa
06-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Yes

The Franchise
06-07-2018, 11:24 AM

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/06/06/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-to-apply-for-nfl-supplemental-draft/

Sounds awful tempting to me, much more so than the other 2 DBs entering the supplemental draft.

I'd throw a 3rd out there for this guy, given we have two 2nds but no 4th. just dont see a 5th getting it done here.

I'd throw a 2nd out there for him since we have two.

TLO
06-07-2018, 11:39 AM
I say sign all of them. The defense can use all the help out can get.

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2018, 11:42 AM

depends how confident the Chiefs are on the development of Kpass and Speaks.

If they can transition smoothly from 2nd string to 1st string at a high level then I'd go for it. If not, hold onto the picks to select a passrusher in the 2019 draft.

Dante84
06-07-2018, 12:11 PM
How does the contract work for a supplemental draft player? Similar to UDFA? Or slot them at the same range as a regularly drafted player?

Just wondering what control you have over a player taken in the SD. If its limited, might be too risky to spend a high pick.

Buckweath
06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
depends how confident the Chiefs are on the development of Kpass and Speaks.

If they can transition smoothly from 2nd string to 1st string at a high level then I'd go for it. If not, hold onto the picks to select a passrusher in the 2019 draft.
Between Houston, Ford, Speaks and Kpassagnon, I feel good about our outside passrushers moving forward. I know Ford is in his last year of contract.

I would look to use a high pick to draft a Dline (another Chris Jones if possible) to replace Allen Bailey before adding another OLB.

This defense is a good 3-4 end and a CB away from being a top 10 unit and more.

I still don't get how Veach went from trying to sign Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, Kyle Fuller, to not doing anything to strengthen those two positions, which are the only potential weaknesses on the defense IMO, not counting injuries.

ct
06-07-2018, 03:11 PM
I'd throw a 2nd out there for him since we have two.

i might as well

end up trading peters for beal + nnadi (give or take)

Shoes
06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm not super familiar with how Beal or Alexander have been projected in their draft classes- what I've read is that Beal is considered by some to be a top 5 corner this upcoming season in the NCAA (or at least would have been). Veach seems like an aggressive GM as we've seen a flurry of moves since he's taken over. Also we do have two 2nd round picks but a 2nd round pick is a massive price to pay- the Chiefs next season will have a ton of flexibility to move up early in the draft if they chose to hold onto those picks.

10 corners were taken in the first two rounds in the 2018 NFL draft and the 2017 NFL draft- if you're confident that Beal or Alexander are for sure going to be top 10 talents at the corner position then I feel as if it's a good gamble. I'm not sure if Veach is as worried about the corner position as much as Chiefsplanet is though.

ChiefGator
06-07-2018, 05:02 PM
This will be an interesting supplemental draft.. You also have S Brandon Bryant (Miss State) who is a fast mo-fo.

I would at least put the fifth on these... would definitely consider the 3rd.

But, of course, we have no idea what other issues these players bring... I assume teams can work them out ahead of the draft?

Dunerdr
06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
why the fuck not? id put in a bid on two corners and wed be lookin pretty good if we got two solid prospects. were in a bit of an odd place with mahomes contract we need to grab talent like this as cheap as possible and make this push.

Shoes
06-07-2018, 05:24 PM
For comparison sake I looked back at what people were saying about Josh Gordon before the supplemental draft:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a78591/article/supplemental-draft-primer-josh-gordon-has-nfl-teams-buzzing

A couple things from that article that stand out:

1. 21 teams showed up to Gordon's workout, therefore I'm assuming that Beal and Alexander will have a similar workout in July. From which teams show up will be a good indication of who is interested and how sought after these players are- I'd be surprised if the Chiefs didn't at the very least attend.

2. The article at the end predicts that the Browns would use a 3rd round pick to grab Gordon who was generating quite a bit of intrigue. The Browns ended up using their 2nd round pick to select Gordon. The Browns finished 4-12 during the 2011-12 season so they would have beaten all but two teams assuming everyone "bidded" a 3rd round pick.

It will be easier to understand which round of pick will need to be used in order to have a chance at one of these guys after their workouts.

ct
06-10-2018, 03:55 PM
think i'll stick with bidding a 3rd for Beal, pass on the other guys

gonefishin53
06-10-2018, 08:52 PM
NFL Draft Scout has 2018 supplemental draft qualifier CB Sam Beal ranked #30 among 2019 CBs. Their #30 ranked CB in 2018, Brandon Facyson, went undrafted.

NFL Draft Scout has 2018 supplemental draft qualifier FS Brandon Bryant ranked #4 among 2019 FSs. Their #4 ranked FS in 2018, Tarvarius Moore, was drafted with pick #95.

Adonis Alexander was unranked by NFL Draft Scout.

A third round pick for Bryant would be justified, imo.

Shoes
06-11-2018, 09:43 AM
NFL Draft Scout has 2018 supplemental draft qualifier CB Sam Beal ranked #30 among 2019 CBs. Their #30 ranked CB in 2018, Brandon Facyson, went undrafted.

NFL Draft Scout has 2018 supplemental draft qualifier FS Brandon Bryant ranked #4 among 2019 FSs. Their #4 ranked FS in 2018, Tarvarius Moore, was drafted with pick #95.

Adonis Alexander was unranked by NFL Draft Scout.

A third round pick for Bryant would be justified, imo.

Wouldn't trust that site because there wouldn't be this amount of buzz if Beal was truly the 30th ranked corner in the upcoming draft.

Walter Football has Beal ranked as the #2 corner in the 2019 draft.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php

chiefs1111
06-21-2018, 07:18 AM
Chiefs met with Adonis Alexander after his pro day.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/20/17485516/chiefs-could-be-eyeing-cornerback-in-julys-supplemental-draft

Grim
06-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Chiefs met with Adonis Alexander after his pro day.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/20/17485516/chiefs-could-be-eyeing-cornerback-in-julys-supplemental-draft

3 years and already had 3 suspensions?
Academically ineligible for his 4th season?

I wouldn't bid any higher than a 6th.

threebag
06-21-2018, 08:33 AM
We don't need another thug, we just shipped one out

Lzen
06-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Darren Mickell

Good catch. About 1992, I believe.

tooge
06-21-2018, 10:50 AM
If they do draft a guy, CP will rail on about how great he is gonna be because.....

This is the supplemental draft. It's the dumbass draft essentially. I'd hold onto my picks for next year.

jaa1025
06-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Sam Beal--YES!! I'd throw in a 2nd/3rd if the team scouts agree with the projections.

Adonis Alexander--I'd throw a 6th? His 40 time is atrocious and I wouldn't doubt that he's faster than that. His off the field issues scare me but for a throwaway pick, why not?

UChieffyBugger
06-23-2018, 02:01 AM
We don't need another thug, we just shipped one out

Lol the ignorance in this post is just pathetic ROFL

Chiefs Moon
06-23-2018, 05:18 AM
Chiefs don't have a 4th round pick in 2019 (Ragland).

I like the sound of this: "At 6-1 and 190 pounds, Beal has the ideal frame to play cornerback at the next level. He finished the 2017 season with two interceptions, 10 pass deflections, 22 total tackles and a forced fumble in the span of 10 games. A track and field All-American in high school, he also possesses rare speed for someone his size. His ability to excel in press-man coverage will also impress NFL teams."

The idea is to win before Mahomes' salary explodes. This will be a very interesting supplemental draft.

Quesadilla Joe
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Western Michigan CB Sam Beal ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds and 4.51 seconds during his pro day-style workout on Thursday.

The vast discrepancies between those two times is due to the wind, with the slower time recorded running into the breeze. In addition to those jaunts through the 40-yard dash, the 6-foot, 178-pound Beal notched a 37-inch vertical jump. He showed exactly what he needed to show in this setting. Those 40-yard times may well put him in play for a second-round selection in the supplemental draft, though safe money would probably be on Round 3. The supplemental draft will be held on July 11. Beal is looking to become the first player drafted in the process since 2015. http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/84292/Broncos-CB-Sam-Beal-lights-up-40-in-4.40s

BossChief
06-28-2018, 12:39 PM
A third is a whole lot to give up for a prospect with red flags.

What makes this kid so special?

BossChief
06-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Also, interesting tidbit is the last player taken in the supplemental draft was Isiah Battle...which spent some time in KC last year.

T-post Tom
06-28-2018, 03:26 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lbs14aJzhJY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal is holding his own pro day today in advance of the upcoming NFL Supplemental Draft on July 11.

Sam Beal likely sat and watched (or wasn’t even around) on March 23, 2018. That was the day that every Western Michigan player with hopes of playing professional football in 2018 worked out, ran through various drills and interviewed with numerous teams. It was all in the name of hearing their name called in the upcoming 2018 NFL Draft.

Things have changed since that day for Beal, a talented cornerback for the Broncos (no, not those Broncos). Now that he’s been declared academically ineligible for next year at WMU, he’s turning his attention to the pros thanks to a special secondary draft held in July by the NFL for just such occasions.

The 2018 Supplemental Draft is coming on July 11 and for the first time in a few years, numerous teams will likely be paying close attention to the results. There have been entire years without a single player eligible, while most years there is a middling prospect or two. This year, however, three young defensive backs are hoping for some draft positioning and all have reason to hope.

Beal is perhaps the most favorable prospect overall. At 6’1, he’s got the height/length although he’s a bit slight at 185 pounds (he’d be the lightest Chiefs DB, tied with Makinton Dorleant). Last year as a junior, Beal had 22 total tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 forced fumble.

The scouting reports are very, very solid with Beal. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report has him as a first round pick at No. 22 overall in his admittedly way too early mock draft for 2019. Terez Paylor also heard lots of great things about him for his own scouting column.

It will be interesting to see if the Chiefs are present for Beal’s pro day because they were also around to check out Adonis Alexander at his recent pro day at Virginia Tech.

The Chiefs have some potential concerns with both overall talent and depth for this year along with definite concerns about all things long-term. David Amerson is here and gone on a one-year deal. Steven Nelson will be a free agent in 2019. That leaves Kendall Fuller as the lone starting option for next season, unless someone can really make a jump among the ranks of Keith Reaser, Arrion Springs, Tremon Smith or Will Redmond. It takes a lot of optimism to believe in any of those for 2018 at least, although hope remains high for Smith in particular as he adjusts from a small school.

Adding Beal would bring in another experienced playmaker who might not shine in 2018 necessarily but provides some competition and a high ceiling moving forward next to Fuller. But it all starts at the pro day, so we’ll see whether or not the Chiefs are even interested.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/06/28/2018-nfl-supplemental-draft-sam-beal-holds-pro-day-thursday/

raybec 4
06-28-2018, 03:55 PM
A third is a whole lot to give up for a prospect with red flags.

What makes this kid so special?

He's not David Ammerson

NJChiefsFan
06-28-2018, 04:58 PM
If they do draft a guy, CP will rail on about how great he is gonna be because.....

This is the supplemental draft. It's the dumbass draft essentially. I'd hold onto my picks for next year.

It depends on why they are in this situation. If the scouts think Beal is worth a 2nd round pick then go for it. We most likely will have to spend a high pick on a CB next year anyway.

Sometimes taking risks works out. Did with Houston, didn't in the end with Peters.

I guess it depends on how you look at it but this is either good symmetry or not learning from a mistake to spend the Peters pick on another risky CB. I'd say if they believe he will work out then go for it. Nobody knows the risks and signs of a bad attitude CB more than our current staff.

htismaqe
06-28-2018, 05:06 PM
He's not David Ammerson

Amerson was one of the top-rated CBs in the league 2 years ago. People are way overreacting.

Quesadilla Joe
06-28-2018, 05:12 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sam Beal&#39;s raw numbers and the improvement he has made through career suggest a very interesting prospect indeed. Something to watch though, he played purely RCB his last two years. <a href="https://t.co/W630CrRWpT">pic.twitter.com/W630CrRWpT</a></p>&mdash; Neil Hornsby (@PFF_Neil) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Neil/status/1012451954298146817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hydrae
06-28-2018, 07:27 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sam Beal&#39;s raw numbers and the improvement he has made through career suggest a very interesting prospect indeed. Something to watch though, he played purely RCB his last two years. <a href="https://t.co/W630CrRWpT">pic.twitter.com/W630CrRWpT</a></p>&mdash; Neil Hornsby (@PFF_Neil) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Neil/status/1012451954298146817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Playing a single side sounds like a Sutton kind of guy. Put Fuller on the left and away we go. :shrug:

Quesadilla Joe
07-11-2018, 10:52 AM
This thing starts in less than ten minutes...

Icon
07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Beal went to the NY Giants in the 3rd round.

raybec 4
07-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Redskins got Alexander in the 6th

cabletech94
07-11-2018, 02:22 PM
well, that was anti-climactic.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2018, 02:24 PM
So, are the other guys free agents?

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-11-2018, 02:45 PM
well, that was anti-climactic.

I can't believe it wasn't on television.

Chief Roundup
07-11-2018, 06:03 PM
I was hoping that they were going to get one of the CBs. I guess they want to see what they have currently.

Hydrae
07-11-2018, 07:56 PM
So, are the other guys free agents?

Yes, they are UDFA now and can sign with anyone.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Beal went to the NY Giants in the 3rd round.

The Giants still think that they are contenders this season.

Skyy God
07-12-2018, 08:59 AM
The Giants still think that they are contenders this season.

Their GM is an anti-analytics dipshit that gave $4M guaranteed to 9,000 year old Jonathan Stewart and passed on a QB.

NJChiefsFan
07-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Yeah the Giants are going for it with Eli running out of time. Whether it's realistic or not who knows. Fans around here are hoping Eli has something left. Personally I think they are crazy for not trying to replace him and some Giants fans agree.

They do have a lot of offensive talent and did fix the offensive line.

ptlyon
07-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Yeah the Giants are going for it with Eli running out of time. Whether it's realistic or not who knows. Fans around here are hoping Eli has something left. Personally I think they are crazy for not trying to replace him and some Giants fans agree.

That's because they're all Manning cock gobblers.

Edit: But you watch. He will magically get another Lombardi before he retires.

NJChiefsFan
07-12-2018, 09:46 AM
That's because they're all Manning cock gobblers.

Edit: But you watch. He will magically get another Lombardi before he retires.

Most of them are yes.

Skyy God
07-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Except Manning is mediocre to bad and has been for some time.

ct
07-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Except Manning is mediocre to bad and has been for some time.

and has 2 superbowl rings, and flacco has one too.

if you got balls and throw em out there when it counts you got a shot to hit a short hot streak and win.

if you pack em in come playoff time like a post-swim constanza, i.e. frightened turtle, they call you a 'game-manager'.

Skyy God
07-12-2018, 02:52 PM
and has 2 superbowl rings, and flacco has one too.

if you got balls and throw em out there when it counts you got a shot to hit a short hot streak and win.

if you pack em in come playoff time like a post-swim constanza, i.e. frightened turtle, they call you a 'game-manager'.

His 2 rings are attributable to a ferocious pass rush and some clutch throws-catches.

NJChiefsFan
07-12-2018, 08:45 PM
His 2 rings are attributable to a ferocious pass rush and some clutch throws-catches.

Certainly. He did make some clutch throws in those SB's even beyond the amazing catch. Manning at his height is right around the edge of what you need to have a decent chance at winning a SB. Flacco is the real outlier. He just had an outrageous playoff run and hasn't come close since.

You don't NEED an elite QB to win a SB but if you don't have one, everything else better go right. Including your QB being clutch in the playoffs when the moment matters most.