PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs If money were no object, which major USA downtown would you pick to live?

Trivers
06-10-2018, 10:55 AM
During the past three months, I've traveled to Manhattan, San Francisco, San Jose, Portland, Chicago, and Miami for biz/personal trips.

I've stayed in mid-priced hotels. (Actually, non were cheap as in staying at a Best Western in the 'burbs. :( )

Observations:
Manhatten: Used to love to go here. Now I find it crowded, dirty, and people are rude on the streets, but normal once inside. Least value per sq ft of hotel space of all the cities.
San Fran: Love the Wharf. Expensive, a homeless problem, past its prime?
Portland: Beautiful, had to fight off the homeless on every block as I walked. No sun the entire trip.
San Jose: Energy! Wonderful weather, expensive as hell. Traffic sucked.
Chicago: More I go, the more I fall in love. Clean, not crowded, people are friendly. Saw two panhandlers the entire weekend. Good hotel value.
Miami: Great food, the babes on South Beach were amazing eye candy. It would be too hot in summer. Condos expensive.

So if I had to move from middle of no-where Wisconsin where there are more cows that cars, I would pick downtown Chicago and try to find a condo overseeing a river or Lake Michigan.

What about you?

Red Dawg
06-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Leawood Kansas.

Baby Lee
06-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Money no object? Manhattan no question.

I can deal with crowds and rudeness. I could waste a decade just going at my own pace from park to park and museum to museum and restaurant to restaurant. Just soak in all there is to experience.

Nothing on the island is 'too far' from Central Park, so I could 'waste' another decade with biking, walking, bird watching, people watching, sports, . . . then slow down to photography and painting.

Even if nothing changed [and face it, time marches on], I picture a good 1/4 century before boredom or wanderlust would set in.

I honestly think my philosophy and temperament are optimized for an urban life of wealthy [or at least the removal of wealth as an obstacle] leisure.

About the only thing I'd picture missing is woodworking. A bit too much to ask to haul a workspace and skads of raw materials into dowtown Manhattan just for my amusement.

Frazod
06-10-2018, 11:02 AM
If money were no object, the last place I'd live would be near any city. Look for me up in the mountains somewhere.

Just don't look too hard. :D

A8bil
06-10-2018, 11:04 AM
SF, followed by San Diego and Seattle. San Diego has the best weather, but less vibrant than SF. Seattle gives you almost as much as SF, but the weather would kill me.

BryanBusby
06-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Bates City

KCUnited
06-10-2018, 11:24 AM
I'm leaning San Diego. Ideal weather, urban enough, and a great beer scene.

TribalElder
06-10-2018, 11:35 AM
The country on acres

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Orlando

Bwana
06-10-2018, 11:37 AM
The country on acres

^

bdj23
06-10-2018, 12:16 PM
None.

I'd move out to bfe Wyoming or Montana and be left the fuck alone.

Spott
06-10-2018, 12:51 PM
I wouldn’t live downtown anywhere.

hometeam
06-10-2018, 12:53 PM
living downtown anywhere sounds like a fuckin nightmare

ClevelandBronco
06-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Perhaps downtown Breckenridge, Colorado. Any of its six or eight blocks.

lewdog
06-10-2018, 12:56 PM
KC because it would be an easy walk to Chiefs and Royals games.

tmax63
06-10-2018, 12:57 PM
None.

I'd move out to bfe Wyoming or Montana and be left the **** alone.

x1,000,000,000
I've lived in/near large towns while in the military and you couldn't pay me enough to live in a downtown area.

AssEaterChief
06-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't choose to live in a downtown anywhere...

Crowded, bad traffic

There is no way I would live in downtown SD... way better to live in a surrounding area

Spott
06-10-2018, 01:00 PM
KC because it would be an easy walk to Chiefs and Royals games.

An easy walk to pick up an Uber ride to the stadiums.

BryanBusby
06-10-2018, 01:01 PM
An easy walk to pick up an Uber ride to the stadiums.
Nothing more relaxing than walking down I-70

loochy
06-10-2018, 01:03 PM
If money was no object, why would I live in a downtown? F that.

Over Yonder
06-10-2018, 01:04 PM
If money were no object, the last place I'd live would be near any city. Look for me up in the mountains somewhere.

None.

I'd move out to bfe Wyoming or Montana and be left the **** alone.

Same here. If money were no object, I would buy Wyoming. :D

If forced to pick a big city, suicide seems the best option :(

Frazod
06-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Same here. If money were no object, I would buy Wyoming. :D

If forced to pick a big city, suicide seems the best option :(

I work in Chicago. I live about as far away from Chicago as I can and get to work in a reasonable amount of time.

FD
06-10-2018, 01:28 PM
The correct answer is Los Angeles. No better city on earth to be wealthy in. Terrible place to be poor, though.

Over Yonder
06-10-2018, 01:32 PM
I work in Chicago. I live about as far away from Chicago as I can and get to work in a reasonable amount of time.

I can appreciate that :thumb: I've been to Chicago:eek:

TwistedChief
06-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Have lived in Manhattan for 15yrs. There are so many varied experiences you can have here depending on the neighborhood - e.g., I'm in the West Village which isn't crowded or dirty at all - that it's really difficult to treat it as one thing.

That said, I've been to all the places on your list, and right now I'm transitioning to SD which is just an amazing place. That gets my vote over and over again.

scho63
06-10-2018, 01:46 PM
The correct answer is Los Angeles. No better city on earth to be wealthy in. Terrible place to be poor, though.

LA is a dump! Clique's all over, pompous shallow assholes in Bev Hill and Hollywood, smog, gang bangers everywhere, ocean is cold and some of the worst traffic anywhere.

I wouldn't live there if you paid me! :shake:

scho63
06-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Charleston, South Carolina comes to mind

Maybe Key West

La Jolla CA

Scottsdale, where I am at

Shag
06-10-2018, 01:53 PM
San Diego, all day, every day. Which is why I moved here a year and a half ago. :)

If not SD, I’d go Denver.

Bugeater
06-10-2018, 02:10 PM
living downtown anywhere sounds like a fuckin nightmare
This. I hate people. Give me an acre or two just outside the city.

vailpass
06-10-2018, 02:10 PM
How the he'll did San Jose make this list? It's a business place not a destination.

Chief Pagan
06-10-2018, 02:18 PM
When you say money is no object: You mean that you can afford to rent a 1000 square foot apartment? Or money is really no object.

If you have the money to take Limos every where and helicopters out to the Hamptons to visit your weekend cottage, well that is a different story. Without a doubt, the more money you have you can experience all the great things and avoid more of the dirty drudgery.

So if I was ultra wealthy, I would go with NY. If I was merely wealthy, I would go with SF.

And if I was merely upper middle class (which I am), I would go with neither but would enjoy SF more than NY.

Chicago and Portland both have a lot of up sides. But I'm not keen to deal with either in the winter. Don't want to live in a snowy environment. Don't want to go months at a time not seeing the sun. I would rather live someplace in the southwest desert (but not Vegas).

To those that like Miami, more power to them. I've gone there a few times for work. Don't care for the humidity. It seems that people that live there don't ever actually see the ocean unless they are going to the beach with kids. Not my vibe.

notorious
06-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Chiefaholic
06-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Money no object? I'd buy 1000 acres in rural Montana and put my house in the middle of it. I love to hunt and fish, the hell with living in a larger city.

notorious
06-10-2018, 02:42 PM
If I had to have a vacation home in a major downtown it would be Vancover.

Yes, I know it’s not the US.

GloucesterChief
06-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Raleigh-Durham. Close enough to Charlotte to not miss anything exciting. Close enough to OBX for vacation. Inland enough that humidity and hurricanes are not so much of a problem.

Edit: The Chesapeake bay area would be my first choice but no downtowns on the Bay/Rivers so that kinda kills the appeal and where the really nice expensive homes are.

lewdog
06-10-2018, 02:51 PM

I can't recall if I've asked you this but what keeps you in that area? You voice your disdain for Chicago a lot, you're conservative AF and yet you remain there. What gives?

OnTheWarpath15
06-10-2018, 02:52 PM
If I had to have a vacation home in a major downtown it would be Vancover.

Yes, I know it’s not the US.

Beat me to it.

big nasty kcnut
06-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Manhattan Kansas Near a football school near Kansas city. Not a lot of people and quiet.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 02:54 PM
The way I am feeling today, Boston would be first—along the waterfront— centrally located to get to all family, relatives and friends; the mountains of New Hampshire and the Cape and Freeport Maine the latter two for sailing with sister or brother's family.

Rain Man
06-10-2018, 03:15 PM
How the he'll did San Jose make this list? It's a business place not a destination.

I didn't even know San Jose had a downtown. I thought it was just a suburb.

Defining 'downtown' is an interesting topic. I'm presuming we're talking about major metro areas, so we can arbitrarily assume that it's the place in a metro area of 1 million or more people that has the largest concentration of high rises. (Metro areas are formally defined as 50,000 or more people, but there are a whole lot of those, and a lot of them are parts of larger metro areas.

If I was to stick to the above definitions, it would be hard to beat Manhattan if money was no object. You've got Central Park, Broadway, and a zillion restaurants and stuff.

Other cool cities would be Denver (access to mountains), San Diego (weather), Charleston (if you could live in that historic area), and Washington DC (museums). If you could go smaller, Santa Fe has a very interesting downtown.

Los Angeles would be a great choice if you could live elsewhere in the metro area. Downtown LA is no great shakes, but the beach cities are awesome. They'd probably be my top choice, but they're not the 'downtown'.

vailpass
06-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Defining 'downtown' is an interesting topic. I'm presuming we're talking about major metro areas, so we can arbitrarily assume that it's the place in a metro area of 1 million or more people that has the largest concentration of high rises. (Metro areas are formally defined as 50,000 or more people, but there are a whole lot of those, and a lot of them are parts of larger metro areas.

If I was to stick to the above definitions, it would be hard to beat Manhattan if money was no object. You've got Central Park, Broadway, and a zillion restaurants and stuff.

Other cool cities would be Denver (access to mountains), San Diego (weather), Charleston (if you could live in that historic area), and Washington DC (museums). If you could go smaller, Santa Fe has a very interesting downtown.

Los Angeles would be a great choice if you could live elsewhere in the metro area. Downtown LA is no great shakes, but the beach cities are awesome. They'd probably be my top choice, but they're not the 'downtown'.

Old Town Charleston is absolutely beautiful. Used to go there as a kid to visit my aunt. City Market, Fort Sumter, etc. Totally would.

Also agree on Denver. Colorado has it all.

Sedona is a location I would a!so consider though I like being closer to a city.

Strongside
06-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Gotham

Frazod
06-10-2018, 04:02 PM
I can't recall if I've asked you this but what keeps you in that area? You voice your disdain for Chicago a lot, you're conservative AF and yet you remain there. What gives?

I'm old and I've lived here for 30 years. And while I live comfortably, I don't live comfortably enough to simply pull up stakes and start over somewhere else.

Besides, Illinois is like most states ruined by one or two giant urban pits of liberal despair - get outside of the pit, and the rest is okay. I like where I live. I also like my job. I just wish it was somewhere else. And unfortunately, I'm not going to make decent money in my field unless I work in a major city. And as major cities go, I'll take Chicago over LA or New York.

Perineum Ripper
06-10-2018, 04:03 PM
If money was no object I would spend half my year in the Grand Tetons, then winter in San Diego

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Barns_grand_tetons.jpg

GloucesterChief
06-10-2018, 04:05 PM

DC is a shithole with horrible people and even worse traffic.

ping2000
06-10-2018, 04:08 PM
None. Streets full of shit and hobos.

Indian Chief
06-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Middle of nowhere would be my preference. However, in the interests of playing the game, if I had to pick a city it would be Charleston, SC without a doubt.

kcxiv
06-10-2018, 04:12 PM
The poll is about living in a downtown city and people say, the country! Well no shit most of us would pick that, but thats not the question! lol

Anyways, Probably San Diego. Place is just fucking nice.

FD
06-10-2018, 04:14 PM
LA is a dump! Clique's all over, pompous shallow assholes in Bev Hill and Hollywood, smog, gang bangers everywhere, ocean is cold and some of the worst traffic anywhere.

I wouldn't live there if you paid me! :shake:

Gang-bangers, smog, what? Have you not been to Los Angeles in the past 20 years?

Rain Man
06-10-2018, 04:21 PM

You just have to avoid the places where congressmen and senators hang out.

The positives are that the mall is a big park, and the museums are amazing.

GloucesterChief
06-10-2018, 04:23 PM
You just have to avoid the places where congressmen and senators hang out.

The positives are that the mall is a big park, and the museums are amazing.

That part of DC is only like a fifth of the city and full of tourists which is even worse than the horrible people that actually live in DC.

TLO
06-10-2018, 04:43 PM

I rather stick my dick in a wood chipper.

stevieray
06-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Kansas City

Apt ...Power and Light building

stevieray
06-10-2018, 04:47 PM

start a thread, then.

DaFace
06-10-2018, 04:57 PM
I love Manhattan and would love to live there for a while. That said, I think that the work culture there would eat me alive, and I bet I'd get tired of it after a year or two. So I'd love to live there...temporarily. Until then, I'll stick with Denver.

Munson
06-10-2018, 05:16 PM
San Diego

vailpass
06-10-2018, 05:22 PM
San Diego

Whale Vagina.

cdcox
06-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Manhattan would be my first choice.

I spent a couple days as a tourist in DC for the first time in a decade. Really enjoyed it.

If it was Miami Beach as opposed to downtown Miami, I would take a two week vacation to test drive the beach lifestyle. In the end I can't imagine it overtaking the advantages of Manhattan.

Urban traffic is primarily an issue for people who live in the 'burbs. Between walking, public transportation and Uber, I wouldn't even own a car.

Otter
06-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Manhattan</br></br>So much to experience and the most beautiful woman on the planet in my opinion.</br></br>I think after a year I'd have to tap out. Well, either tap or I'd become fully ingrained in the culture and never leave. Prolly tap however.

BWillie
06-10-2018, 06:00 PM
All of these responses too many people, too crowded, why would you live downtown if you were rich? Very baffling. It's expensive to live downtown because PEOPLE WANT TO FUCKING DO IT. It's dirt cheap to live in the country or on the side of a fucking mountain because NOBODY WANTS TO DO IT.

I hate people too, but they serve a necessary purpose. There is entertainment where people are. There is nice infrastructure where wealthy people area. Nice restaurants. Sports teams. etc etc. I'm quite anti-social, too, and I would absolutely love to live downtown SF, Seattle, or Manhattan. Money solves lots of the pains in the ass that downtown living can provide.

If money wasn't an option, I'm not sure if I'd live anywhere. I'd have probably 4 homes.
1. Condo at Panorama Towers in Vegas
2. Penthouse in Seattle
3. Penthouse in Manhattan
4. Condo or something in Hong Kong or Tokyo

BWillie
06-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Gang-bangers, smog, what? Have you not been to Los Angeles in the past 20 years?

I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.

DC is boring IMO. I get it. Lots of old shit and historic places. But I really DGAF. That rule they have that no building can be over like 3 stories or something like that really hinders that place.

Rain Man
06-10-2018, 06:21 PM
I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.

LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.

KCUnited
06-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Muh Land! Planet

HemiEd
06-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Had a turtle walk into my shop today. :D

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Pass on the big city, no thanks.

Iowanian
06-10-2018, 06:39 PM
In the middle of 10,000 acres. The last place I would live would be in a major metro.

cdcox
06-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.

BWillie
06-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.

I think they set up militias and count the amount of guns they have. Read "Guns and Ammo" magazine alot. Drink lots of crappy domestic beer.

SAUTO
06-10-2018, 06:53 PM

I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lol

GloucesterChief
06-10-2018, 07:26 PM
LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.

I imagine it is like Houston. Downtown doesn't exactly have a lot of things. In Houston, you wouldn't live downtown. Mid Town, Westheimer, or Galleria is better.

Just like in DC downtown is kinda barren of things to do. Adams Morgan or Chinatown are much more happening.

Bugeater
06-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:00 PM
I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.

LoneWolf
06-10-2018, 08:03 PM
I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.

What do you do for a living?

HemiEd
06-10-2018, 08:05 PM
I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lolAren't they neat!? We have had some really large ones walking around our place but the one this morning looked pretty young and I put him out heading the right direction.

See Bugeater's post below. :D

Actually, you do make compromises. Impulse shopping, nope.
Dining out? On occasion, but it turns into a pretty big deal. But after 18 years of the Chicago area rat race, I don't miss those things as much as enjoy "looking up when a car goes by."

Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.
904 now friend, so it is bed time and look forward to your next visit.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:07 PM
What do you do for a living?

I sell technology solutions - basically there are three elements to our solutions (which we manufacture) - Remote Monitoring, Quality of Experience and Secure Access.... I sell on-premise appliances to Managed Service Providers MSPs

Technology Sales in a nutshell.

Frazod
06-10-2018, 08:11 PM

You'll have to expand on that lobby intermission murder story one of these days. :D

lewdog
06-10-2018, 08:17 PM
I’ve done the country living. I Couldn’t handle the inconvience working full time and doing that. My parents did but 30 miles to the nearest store gets old quick.

I enjoy citing living and the convienence. Not sure I’d like raising a family in a major downtown area but I’d love living in a major downtown area if single or no kids. San Diego would be my choice. I’d honestly consider Nashville too.

I may return to country living when I’m older. But for now, it has no appeal.

LoneWolf
06-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Greenville, SC. Nice downtown area with plenty of entertainment and eating options. City is still small enough it doesn’t seem crowded.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:22 PM
I'm a weirdo I've basically had my fill of the city - but I'd take Manhattan in a heartbeat. However if it weren't Manhattan, I'd just assume relocate to Pittsburg Ks or Frontenac... I love those towns for their character. I'm tired of Atlanta, mostly because I don't care for the people here, 'overall'

LoneWolf
06-10-2018, 08:24 PM
I sell technology solutions - basically there are three elements to our solutions (which we manufacture) - Remote Monitoring, Quality of Experience and Secure Access.... I sell on-premise appliances to Managed Service Providers MSPs

Technology Sales in a nutshell.

I drive to Pittsburgh about 6 times a year to meet with a few suppliers my plant works with. I have a few contacts in town. If I hear of anything that fits into your skill set, I’ll shoot you a pm.

Frazod
06-10-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm a weirdo I've basically had my fill of the city - but I'd take Manhattan in a heartbeat. However if it weren't Manhattan, I'd just assume relocate to Pittsburg Ks or Frontenac... I love those towns for their character. I'm tired of Atlanta, mostly because I don't care for the people here, 'overall'

That, and God does the traffic suck.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:28 PM
I drive to Pittsburgh about 6 times a year to meet with a few suppliers my plant works with. I have a few contacts in town. If I hear of anything that fits into your skill set, I’ll shoot you a pm.

thank you - I fully expect I'll settle there, eventually.

Spott
06-10-2018, 08:31 PM

The south has all of those negative stereotypes for a reason. Never been to Atlanta but I’ve heard the traffic there is insane.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:32 PM

yes

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 08:32 PM
The south has all of those negative stereotypes for a reason. Never been to Atlanta but I’ve heard the traffic there is insane.

yeah def.

Frazod
06-10-2018, 08:41 PM

We've gone down there the last couple of years to watch Braves games at Sun Trust. Last year I rented a car. The Saturday game was a night game, so I decided to drive over to Stone Mountain that afternoon. Traffic on I-285 on a Saturday was like Monday rush hour in Chicago, there and back. It was crazy. No accidents, good weather. It just sucked.

When we went down this year, we just stayed by the ball park and didn't rent a car. I have no plans to ever drive there again.

Sofa King
06-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I’d buy a huge ass building and live with all of you. A short drive from Arrowhead. And i’d bang Loochy’s old lady. Not Pestilence’s old lady though, she’s too fertile. Though I bet she wants it.

BigRedChief
06-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Manhattan is fun but not sustainable for my tastes. Never going to live where the snow and ice is common and often for too many months.

Been to all on that list. Visited many more in the USA. I like where I’m at. Me and Mrs. BRC are happy. Even if we won the lottery, we’d travel but “home” would be in this area.

cdcox
06-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Restoring cars seems interesting in concept, but in reality I hate changing my oil or replacing a water pump. So that seems like a better vicarious hobby than a real one. I've also dipped my toes into woodworking but I hate, hate, hate finishing work. I don't play golf. Fishing and hunting are pleasant enough and u did my share growing up, but I have not developed them as interests as an adult. I despise yard work and gardening.

Boating is fun, but I doubt I could make a life out of it being my main thing.

I still want to build a business based on computer technology -- and that would give me motivation to get out of bed every day. In my spare time I want to cook and walk and cycle and go to restaurants, museums, and bars -- things I like to do on vacation, but I would do them regularly in retirement.

Mike in SW-MO
06-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Bates City

ROFL:clap:

BigRedChief
06-10-2018, 09:28 PM
We've gone down there the last couple of years to watch Braves games at Sun Trust. Last year I rented a car. The Saturday game was a night game, so I decided to drive over to Stone Mountain that afternoon. Traffic on I-285 on a Saturday was like Monday rush hour in Chicago, there and back. It was crazy. No accidents, good weather. It just sucked.

When we went down this year, we just stayed by the ball park and didn't rent a car. I have no plans to ever drive there again.I went to ATL for training for a week. Went up after a Chiefs playoff game on Sunday. There was an ice storm as l arrived. When l left on Friday, all the major interstates were still having cars drive in ice ruts to get out of town. No thanks to that city.

cdcox
06-10-2018, 09:41 PM
I’d buy a huge ass building and live with all of you. A short drive from Arrowhead. And i’d bang Loochy’s old lady. Not Pestilence’s old lady though, she’s too fertile. Though I bet she wants it.

Running a come-and-go commune as a rich benefactor would be awesome in fantasy land -- the reality would likely suck.

KChiefs1
06-10-2018, 09:43 PM
San Francisco

cdcox
06-10-2018, 09:48 PM
We vacationed in SF for 12 days in May and June of last year. It was cold as hell. I was glad to visit but I don't see the charm of living there.

Rain Man
06-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Something about San Francisco doesn't speak to me. I've been there a couple of times, and I'm not really a fan. The streets are confusing, it's too hilly to walk easily, and there's a lot of concrete.

Plus, I was there as the kickoff point for my freighter journey, and I walked through the tenderloin area. Wow. It makes Denver's worst area look like Beverly Hills. I walked toward one intersection and some guy lurching around turned and looked at me. He had taped half of his head all the way around with clear packing tape, including one eye that was taped closed in a weird monsterlike way, and the other eye was looking at me in a manner that I deemed highly threatening. It was creepy as heck.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:10 PM

I've worked in Atlanta about 4 times and it's not one of my favorite cities.

For a big city, I prefer Chicago over NYC though. I feel squashed by the concrete and buildings in NY and the people are rough. MidWesterners are more polite and Chicago has more space and order. I love the Magnificent Mile. Used to stay in a lovely glass penthouse on the MM and shop a few times a year. Especially love it at Christmas. I love Chicago but Boston is my home, my roots.

Despise LA, would never want to live in SF either.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:12 PM
I answered this question as in this being my second home.

Simply Red
06-10-2018, 10:16 PM
I've worked in Atlanta about 4 times and it's not one of my favorite cities.

For a big city, I prefer Chicago over NYC though. I feel squashed by the concrete and buildings in NY and the people are rough. MidWesterners are more polite and Chicago has more space and order. I love the Magnificent Mile. Used to stay in a lovely glass penthouse on the MM and shop a few times a year. Especially love it at Christmas. I love Chicago but Boston is my home, my roots.

Despise LA, would never want to live in SF either.

Nobody on CP likes Atlanta - so there's no surprise there.

People in Manhattan last time (in January) were super friendly - more so than this town! I loved the people there.

New World Order
06-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Pensacola seems like a nice place.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Nobody on CP likes Atlanta - so there's no surprise there.

People in Manhattan last time (in January) were super friendly - more so than this town! I loved the people there.

Really? I find Southerners in general are much friendlier and willing to talk to strangers. Actually, almost too friendly that it comes across nosy to me. At first I was appalled by it. Then again, Bostonians aren't considered that friendly from what I've been told by people, who moved there who claimed it was tough to break into meeting new friends. This included a girl from Alabama who I became good friends with.

When I had a job interview in NYC when I lived in Boston, people were so rushed that I felt if I tripped and fell they'd keep walking on top of me without a care in the world. That actually nearly happened to an old man on New Years Eve in Times Square seeing the ball drop, when we stopped overnight when moving here. I had to scream at people to stop moving when he fell. Was really scarey. NYers scare me.

BryanBusby
06-10-2018, 10:22 PM
I'd rather have a prostate exam than ever deal with Atlanta traffic again.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Pensacola seems like a nice place.

Beautiful beaches.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:25 PM

Wait'll you see NYC's. Oi vey!

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Raleigh-Durham. Close enough to Charlotte to not miss anything exciting. Close enough to OBX for vacation. Inland enough that humidity and hurricanes are not so much of a problem.

Edit: The Chesapeake bay area would be my first choice but no downtowns on the Bay/Rivers so that kinda kills the appeal and where the really nice expensive homes are.

I love Raleigh NC and Charlotte. But NC has an income tax. So.

Love, love, LOVE North Carolina. Work there one or two times a year.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:28 PM
That part of DC is only like a fifth of the city and full of tourists which is even worse than the horrible people that actually live in DC.

DC is basically a giant slum. The Federal govt area is the only bright spot. Besides, I bet most of the DC Swampers live in the ritsy suburbs—which are nice.

kccrow
06-10-2018, 10:29 PM
I'd never live downtown anywhere. That pretty well sums it up.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:31 PM
Manhattan</br></br>So much to experience and the most beautiful woman on the planet in my opinion.</br></br>I think after a year I'd have to tap out. Well, either tap or I'd become fully ingrained in the culture and never leave. Prolly tap however.

You will burn out. Nightlife begins at 11 PM. Everybody rushes like they're going to miss something important. They never stop. Plus it's dirty.

RunKC
06-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Somewhere along the Oregon coast near Cannon City beach area. In the country far enough away from the horrible infestation known as Portland. Nothing but mountains and the coast with some nice beaches in between. Oh and Tillamook ice cream factory.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:39 PM

Whats so nice about Boston, is the city is smaller and more manageable although there's been so much more urban spread since I left. But things are close in New England, so you can leave on weekends for the country easily. Lot of folks I knew, and still know live in the city and have a country place in New Hampshire or Southern Maine. We summered partly in NH on a lake and then on the Cape though we lived in the burbs. When I lived in the city working, I would often go to NH on weekends. In winter you have the mountains if you like skiing. Then you still have access to beaches easily too.
Plus it has quaint looking and historic buildings.

These things are not a long drive from Boston, unlike the MidWest or West where a 4-5 hour drive is considered nothing but is long in New Englander.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Somewhere along the Oregon coast near Cannon City beach area. In the country far enough away from the horrible infestation known as Portland. Nothing but mountains and the coast with some nice beaches in between. Oh and Tillamook ice cream factory.

The coast of Oregon is gorgeous. Portland reminded me of parts of Boston—only smaller.

Al Bundy
06-10-2018, 10:41 PM
I would live in downtown Tampa.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2018, 10:41 PM
I would live in downtown Tampa.

LOL

Over Yonder
06-10-2018, 11:25 PM
The poll is about living in a downtown city and people say, the country! Well no shit most of us would pick that, but thats not the question! lol

Anyways, Probably San Diego. Place is just ****ing nice.

But he also said money was no object:D

But to play by the rules, the only city on his list I have been to is Chicago. No thanks :shake: As far as bigger cities, Dallas/Ft.Worth and Cleveland are the best ones I've been to, and even they suck :(

Surprised by all the San Diego picks in this thread. Awesome weather, but the people suck. It is currently my least favorite "big city" I have visited. But as I get older and travel more, I'm sure I will stumble upon a bigger crap hole.

BWillie
06-10-2018, 11:47 PM

But to play by the rules, the only city on his list I have been to is Chicago. No thanks :shake: As far as bigger cities, Dallas/Ft.Worth and Cleveland are the best ones I've been to, and even they suck :(

Surprised by all the San Diego picks in this thread. Awesome weather, but the people suck. It is currently my least favorite "big city" I have visited. But as I get older and travel more, I'm sure I will stumble upon a bigger crap hole.

Most people suck everywhere. Sometimes you get unlucky. To really know the true character of a cities people I would imagine you would have to live there for a while.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 05:58 AM
Restoring cars seems interesting in concept, but in reality I hate changing my oil or replacing a water pump. So that seems like a better vicarious hobby than a real one. I've also dipped my toes into woodworking but I hate, hate, hate finishing work. I don't play golf. Fishing and hunting are pleasant enough and u did my share growing up, but I have not developed them as interests as an adult. I despise yard work and gardening.

Boating is fun, but I doubt I could make a life out of it being my main thing.

I still want to build a business based on computer technology -- and that would give me motivation to get out of bed every day. In my spare time I want to cook and walk and cycle and go to restaurants, museums, and bars -- things I like to do on vacation, but I would do them regularly in retirement.It sounds like the big city is the place for you then. I wish you the best in attaining that dream.

For me the motivation to get out of bed each morning is that I am no longer working for someone else like I did for 50 years. Whatever I choose to do today is for us!

Bug painted a pretty picture, but actually there is a lot of work and upkeep that has to be a priority. I don't like hiring stuff done, nor can I afford it. It seems like every time I do, the workmanship comes up short.

About the only thing we have in common is cooking and I do it all in our house.

The other thing that is starting to rear it's ugly head is distance to medical care. In a few years we are going to probably need to downsize to a town and that will suck.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Whats so nice about Boston, is the city is smaller and more manageable although there's been so much more urban spread since I left. But things are close in New England, so you can leave on weekends for the country easily. Lot of folks I knew, and still know live in the city and have a country place in New Hampshire or Southern Maine. We summered partly in NH on a lake and then on the Cape though we lived in the burbs. When I lived in the city working, I would often go to NH on weekends. In winter you have the mountains if you like skiing. Then you still have access to beaches easily too.
Plus it has quaint looking and historic buildings.

These things are not a long drive from Boston, unlike the MidWest or West where a 4-5 hour drive is considered nothing but is long in New Englander.
I lived in RI for a couple years, spent a lot of time in Boston. For over 20 years did a trade show in Boston for a week that was usually in June.

Lots to love about Boston (food, culture, peoples accent) also lots to hate.

People have mentioned San Diego and I consider it the exact opposite of Boston. Boston has horrific weather and great food, San Diego has fantastic weather and horrific food.

Frazod
06-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Wait'll you see NYC's. Oi vey!

Been there done that. The last time I drove there was after a fairly severe storm, and the west side highway was partially flooded, which only added to the fun.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 07:09 AM
You'll have to expand on that lobby intermission murder story one of these days. :D

Like many of my stories, it was a long time ago. It was before being gay was as cool as it is now and the play was heavily weighted in the subject. Gene Barry in "la cage au folle."
I didn't see what happened, but was filled in by a couple of the other guys in our group. (11 of us sales guys were "rewarded" with a trip to NYC by Standard Motor Products)
Guess there was a gay lovers gun fight in the lobby that didn't end well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fo9W2jVFroc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief
06-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Guess there was a gay lovers gun fight in the lobby that didn't end well.Sounds like next years Tony winner.

displacedinMN
06-11-2018, 07:27 AM
I'd never live downtown anywhere. That pretty well sums it up.

Me too. I need wider fields of view. Need to see down the road a mile or more. And be away from that many people.

Too many people in NY, LA.

Boise_Chief
06-11-2018, 07:35 AM
None of the above.
I am quite happy with where I am. Close enough to go see the Ballet or the Shakespeare featival. If I really want to see a hobo pee in an alley I can do that too.
From my home I am within an hour of:
Elk, deer, antelope, bear, cougar hunting.
Skiing. Camping, hiking, etc.
World class snowmobiling, fly fishing, whitewater rafting/kayaking

For an outdoor guy it is heaven. Just enough city for theatre, restaurants etc. But I have shot 5 branch antler bull elk within 40 mins of downtown Boise. Where else could I do That? You all can keep NY, LA, SEA etc.

Buehler445
06-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Me too. I need wider fields of view. Need to see down the road a mile or more. And be away from that many people.

Too many people in NY, LA.

You’re in the wrong place big dawg. If you want to see shit you need to be out here. There aren’t trees out here. Or humidity. You can see forever. For-E-Ver.

When I was in college I dated a girl from Johnson County. There was a severe thunderstorm warning. So I was trying (futilely) to look to the west to see what’s coming. She was stacking the shit on me because she honestly had no clue that:

1. There is a place on the planet that you can see a storm coming.

And as a result

2. Storms come from the west.

We argued for better than an hour that storms generally move west to east.

It was then that I figured out that things are REALLY diffferent out here.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2018, 10:05 AM
I lived in RI for a couple years, spent a lot of time in Boston. For over 20 years did a trade show in Boston for a week that was usually in June.

People have mentioned San Diego and I consider it the exact opposite of Boston. Boston has horrific weather and great food, San Diego has fantastic weather and horrific food.

You think Boston has horrific weather? It has the Gulf stream which tempers winters for us compared to the cold of the MidWest, which also has insufferable humidity in summer without an ocean breeze. It's beautiful in late spring, summer and fall. It doesn't even get as much rain as Seattle. I wouldn't call it the best weather. It often has overcast skies. I just don't see that it ranks lower than the ME and even has some benefits over it in terms of weather. JMO.

San Diego probably beats its weather tho.'

notorious
06-11-2018, 10:19 AM
You’re in the wrong place big dawg. If you want to see shit you need to be out here. There aren’t trees out here. Or humidity. You can see forever. For-E-Ver.

When I was in college I dated a girl from Johnson County. There was a severe thunderstorm warning. So I was trying (futilely) to look to the west to see what’s coming. She was stacking the shit on me because she honestly had no clue that:

1. There is a place on the planet that you can see a storm coming.

And as a result

2. Storms come from the west.

We argued for better than an hour that storms generally move west to east.

It was then that I figured out that things are REALLY diffferent out here.

Until you catch the storm from the North/Northeast. Those fuckers are nasty.

Buehler445
06-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Until you catch the storm from the North/Northeast. Those fuckers are nasty.

Yeah, that's how I know the apocalypse has arrived.

displacedinMN
06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
But I am not ready to move back to the farm. 30 miles from civilization and the black hole of communications.

O.city
06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Chicago for me.

kcxiv
06-11-2018, 10:46 AM

i easily get along with most people i never had issues with people "sucking" Then again, im Californian lived here my whole life, so its no big transition for me.

SuperBowl4
06-11-2018, 10:46 AM
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA

lcarus
06-11-2018, 10:49 AM
I've always been kind of fascinated with NY without ever having been there. I don't know if I'd want to live there though.

Eleazar
06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Manhattan, for sure.

ChiefsCountry
06-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Olathe

A8bil
06-11-2018, 12:01 PM
We vacationed in SF for 12 days in May and June of last year. It was cold as hell. I was glad to visit but I don't see the charm of living there.

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said: "The coldest winter I spent was a summer in SF?" Let me try to answer your embedded question... .

1. 90% of the year, the temperature is somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees with low humidity. If you work in the City, it is far better than the snow, subzero temps, incessant rain, 90% humidity or sweltering heat you get in most other big cities. Only San Diego has a more temperate climate.
2. When you visited, you encountered the summer fog. It comes in and cools off the city, but it comes in only part of the summer. If you check right now, I think it is 67 degrees, sunny and 54% humidity. A typical SF day.
3. Even when you get that summer fog, head 5 miles in any direction to get out of the fog belt and you'll be in temps often 20 degrees or more higher. Marin Headlands, Silicon Valley and East Bay are significantly warmer...spend a comfortable day at the office, then go home and sit by the pool.
4. If you are a food fan, some of the best restaurants in the world are in SF.
5. If you are a sports fan, SF has some of the top sport franchises in their respective league's histories.
6. If you are an arts fan, they attract most of the top exhibits shown internationally.
7. If you are a theater/ballet/symphony/opera fan, they have many of the top plays shown in NY or London and their arts are world class.
8. If you are a wine fan, they have world class wineries less than 1 hour away in Napa and Sonoma...each of which is beautiful and a great place to visit/vacation.
9. If you are ski/snowboarder, you have world class resorts 4 hours away in Squaw Valley, Heavenly...etc.
10. If you love the outdoors, you have marine sanctuaries, old growth redwood forests, and mountains for hiking all along the coast and in the Sierra's all within a half hour to 2 hours of the City, including Yosemite Valley (a bucket list destination).
11. If you're into paragliding or hang gliding, you have constant coastal on shore breezes that give you opportunities to get out 90% of the year.
12. If you are a water sports fan, you have abalone diving off the coast, sailing in the Bay, (cold) surfing on the Coast, scuba diving in kelp forests (the most unique diving I've ever done), water skiing on the Delta or on any number of lakes within 2 hours of SF, river rafting on the american and other rivers, and every type of fishing you can imagine.
13. If you're into golf, you have some of the top golf courses in the world all within 2 hours.
14. You have vibrant city life all over the City.
15. You have two of the greatest universities in the world within 20 miles, with world leading medical care and innovation.
16. If you want to start a business, there is more venture money circulating here than anywhere in the world.

Need I go on? the big problem with SF, is that it's attractions are no secret, so (1) it is crowded, and (2) it is expensive.

CoMoChief
06-11-2018, 12:10 PM
SD

Hydrae
06-11-2018, 12:51 PM
I am a bit surprised Austin or San Antonio have not been brought up.

Personally, I would not mind living in NW Portland. I had a friend who lived there (about 11th and Gleason if memory serves) and it was a lot of fun just sitting out on the porch up a couple of stories and people watch. Also, having lived there for many years the weather would not really bother me any more than it did when I lived there.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 01:02 PM
You think Boston has horrific weather? It has the Gulf stream which tempers winters for us compared to the cold of the MidWest, which also has insufferable humidity in summer without an ocean breeze. It's beautiful in late spring, summer and fall. It doesn't even get as much rain as Seattle. I wouldn't call it the best weather. It often has overcast skies. I just don't see that it ranks lower than the ME and even has some benefits over it in terms of weather. JMO.

San Diego probably beats its weather tho.'

I am not a fan of snow, or cold springs. Yes, the fall colors are beautiful, without question.

Comparing the rainfall to Seattle is like comparing a tooth ache to a broken leg.
I don't want either of them. :D

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 01:24 PM
SD

Or Austin. San Francisco has went straight to hell under Jerry Brown. It used to be amazing here.

tooge
06-11-2018, 01:33 PM
I lived in Chicago for about a year. It was awesome. Of course, I was just married, we had no kids, and so we spent alot of time eating out, shopping, people watching, and hitting the young crowd bar/beer scene. Now, I live in the country, and no amount of money would get me back into living in a city. Having said that, we do go down to the city (KC) once in a while for dinner and to walk around and hit a beer joint, and it'd enjoyable, but not to live there, that time passed me by a long time ago.

scho63
06-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said: "The coldest winter I spent was a summer in SF?" Let me try to answer your embedded question... .

1. 90% of the year, the temperature is somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees with low humidity. If you work in the City, it is far better than the snow, subzero temps, incessant rain, 90% humidity or sweltering heat you get in most other big cities. Only San Diego has a more temperate climate.
2. When you visited, you encountered the summer fog. It comes in and cools off the city, but it comes in only part of the summer. If you check right now, I think it is 67 degrees, sunny and 54% humidity. A typical SF day.
3. Even when you get that summer fog, head 5 miles in any direction to get out of the fog belt and you'll be in temps often 20 degrees or more higher. Marin Headlands, Silicon Valley and East Bay are significantly warmer...spend a comfortable day at the office, then go home and sit by the pool.
5. If you are a sports fan, SF has some of the top sport franchises in their respective league's histories.
6. If you are an arts fan, they attract most of the top exhibits shown internationally.
7. If you are a theater/ballet/symphony/opera fan, they have many of the top plays shown in NY or London and their arts are world class.
8. If you are a wine fan, they have world class wineries less than 1 hour away in Napa and Sonoma...each of which is beautiful and a great place to visit/vacation.
9. If you are ski/snowboarder, you have world class resorts 4 hours away in Squaw Valley, Heavenly...etc.
10. If you love the outdoors, you have marine sanctuaries, old growth redwood forests, and mountains for hiking all along the coast and in the Sierra's all within a half hour to 2 hours of the City, including Yosemite Valley (a bucket list destination).
11. If you're into paragliding or hang gliding, you have constant coastal on shore breezes that give you opportunities to get out 90% of the year.
12. If you are a water sports fan, you have abalone diving off the coast, sailing in the Bay, (cold) surfing on the Coast, scuba diving in kelp forests (the most unique diving I've ever done), water skiing on the Delta or on any number of lakes within 2 hours of SF, river rafting on the american and other rivers, and every type of fishing you can imagine.
13. If you're into golf, you have some of the top golf courses in the world all within 2 hours.
15. You have two of the greatest universities in the world within 20 miles, with world leading medical care and innovation.
16. If you want to start a business, there is more venture money circulating here than anywhere in the world.

Need I go on? the big problem with SF, is that it's attractions are no secret, so (1) it is crowded, and (2) it is expensive.

I lived in San Francisco for two years at 156 Telegraph and then in Mountain View for 3 years on High School Way. The Bay Area is an incredible place, probably the best area I've ever lived in.

Sadly it's gotten way too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic and SF has tilted too far left.

Chief_For_Life58
06-11-2018, 01:41 PM
SF - big city appeal with alot of outdoor activities very close by. Best of both worlds really

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 01:42 PM
I lived in Chicago for about a year. It was awesome. Of course, I was just married, we had no kids, and so we spent alot of time eating out, shopping, people watching, and hitting the young crowd bar/beer scene. Now, I live in the country, and no amount of money would get me back into living in a city. Having said that, we do go down to the city (KC) once in a while for dinner and to walk around and hit a beer joint, and it'd enjoyable, but not to live there, that time passed me by a long time ago.

I love it in the mountains away from everyone. Unfortunately when you have a kid you need to have access to a lot of different things so we just drive a lot.

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I lived in San Francisco for two years at 156 Telegraph and then in Mountain View for 3 years on High School Way. The Bay Area is an incredible place, probably the best area I've ever lived in.

Sadly it's gotten way too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic and SF has tilted too far left.

Every one that works for me has been assaulted. They let the homeless run the streets even in the Financial District. The best places here are Lafayett, Mill Valley to the GG bridge and Woodside anywhere. Woodside is my favorite especially on the coastal side where you are in a rain forest and can do whatever you want. Mountain people there are a different lot too. You can pretty much do whatever you want. Gun range, motorcycles, hunting. SF is close, I work in SF but it is nice to get off the ant farm and back to the basics when you go home.

Kiimo
06-11-2018, 01:57 PM
I look forward to the "which wilderness would you want to live in if money were no object" thread so I can pop in and pepper it with useless "nowhere! I'd live in a city!" posts like everybody is doing in this thread.

My answer: Brooklyn Heights, NY or San Francisco or Portland.

I'd never live in downtown LA even though it is being revitalized. Living in Manhattan sounds great but one visit to Brooklyn Heights and I was like this is the one.

tooge
06-11-2018, 02:13 PM
I spent two summers living in SF off mission st., not too far from the GG bridge if I remember correctly. I was in college. I was dating a girl that lived in Santa Rosa. I remember that area being very nice, and she had friends in Walnut Creek. That entire area is awesome. Again, that is from memory of 30 years ago. I don't think I could handle the traffic now though

Rain Man
06-11-2018, 02:25 PM
I look forward to the "which wilderness would you want to live in if money were no object" thread so I can pop in and pepper it with useless "nowhere! I'd live in a city!" posts like everybody is doing in this thread.

My answer: Brooklyn Heights, NY or San Francisco or Portland.

I'd never live in downtown LA even though it is being revitalized. Living in Manhattan sounds great but one visit to Brooklyn Heights and I was like this is the one.

As an aside, I got bold and took the subway and bus to Laguardia the last time I was in New York. The subway goes from Manhattan to some random neighborhood in Queens, and then you find a bus to get to the airport.

Wowza. I got off that bus in Queens and it felt like I was in a different country. I don't know how to describe it properly, but I was on this street that was in perpetual shade because the subway was elevated over it, and it was full of tiny little storefronts that looked like something you'd see in a developing country, and I was not hearing much English in the conversations around me. It really had a bizarre feel to it.

One of the learning experiences of traveling around is that I realize how much of a Eurocentric bubble I live in in Denver. I realize that I'm supposed to like other cultures, but my shameful truth is that I like living in a place that is familiar to me in terms of experience and appearance. I like traveling to developing countries, but I don't want to live in one.

Rain Man
06-11-2018, 02:27 PM

Well, yeah, but you didn't address my earlier post about encountering the guy with his head half-wrapped in packing tape.

I also saw a guy in a street fight with a can of soda. I'm talking a real fight. Throwing punches at it and kicking it.

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 02:35 PM
I spent two summers living in SF off mission st., not too far from the GG bridge if I remember correctly. I was in college. I was dating a girl that lived in Santa Rosa. I remember that area being very nice, and she had friends in Walnut Creek. That entire area is awesome. Again, that is from memory of 30 years ago. I don't think I could handle the traffic now though

Walnut Creek is still nice. Bart and Uber. I do hate Bart though.

A8bil
06-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Well, yeah, but you didn't address my earlier post about encountering the guy with his head half-wrapped in packing tape.

I also saw a guy in a street fight with a can of soda. I'm talking a real fight. Throwing punches at it and kicking it. LOL...yeah, SF has its fair share of crazies. Part of the problem with temperate year round weather is that it is an easy spot for homeless to settle down, and the City certainly supports that population with social services. The scuttlebutt is that cities like Salt Lake often will round up the homeless/drug addled offenders and give them a one way ticket to SF to make it SF's problem, not theirs.

That said, most of the crazies are confined to certain areas and if you avoid those areas you'll almost never encounter them. The Tenderloin, for example, is a transitional neighborhood that you mostly want to avoid. There are few speakeasy joints there that are fun, but your likelihood of running up against an unsavory character are exponentially higher there than in most neighborhoods in the City. Overall, it's violent crime rates are fairly low for a major city. The two major problems I see there are: (1) homeless people sleeping everywhere; and (2) property theft (the number of car breakins is ridiculous.

A8bil
06-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Every one that works for me has been assaulted. They let the homeless run the streets even in the Financial District. The best places here are Lafayett, Mill Valley to the GG bridge and Woodside anywhere. Woodside is my favorite especially on the coastal side where you are in a rain forest and can do whatever you want. Mountain people there are a different lot too. You can pretty much do whatever you want. Gun range, motorcycles, hunting. SF is close, I work in SF but it is nice to get off the ant farm and back to the basics when you go home.

Ah...to have purchased land in Woodside. The land of Larry Ellison and many other Silicon Valley titans. There was a time you could buy land there fairly cheap. Now every home there is made of unobtanium. It's a great area...a ride to Alice's on 84 and then down to the coast is one of my favorite drives in the convertible.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2018, 02:55 PM
I am a bit surprised Austin or San Antonio have not been brought up.

Personally, I would not mind living in NW Portland. I had a friend who lived there (about 11th and Gleason if memory serves) and it was a lot of fun just sitting out on the porch up a couple of stories and people watch. Also, having lived there for many years the weather would not really bother me any more than it did when I lived there.

I like San Antonio but wasn't impressed with Austin—though I didn't get to see much since I was working. Heard it has a great music and nightclub scene.

Fat Elvis
06-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I think a really underrated downtown area is Cincinatti....

I was there for a conference a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed the downtown area. It was really quaint and friendly. Not sure I would want to live there, but as a visit, it was a pleasant surprise.

SuperBowl4
06-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I like San Antonio but wasn't impressed with Austin—though I didn't get to see much since I was working. Heard it has a great music and nightclub scene.Austin is way too crowded.

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Ah...to have purchased land in Woodside. The land of Larry Ellison and many other Silicon Valley titans. There was a time you could buy land there fairly cheap. Now every home there is made of unobtanium. It's a great area...a ride to Alice's on 84 and then down to the coast is one of my favorite drives in the convertible.

Yea I feel like the luckiest guy in the world to live there. Larry is on the ridiculously expensive Portola Valley I believe. I am actually on the West side of the mountain next Neil Youngs place. Very close to Alice's. This is the view from the driveway on a bad day. Live in paradise but still have access to all the things that are the bay area. It is friggen expensive here though.

Baby Lee
06-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Yea I feel like the luckiest guy in the world to live there. Larry is on the ridiculously expensive Portola Valley I believe. I am actually on the West side of the mountain next Neil Youngs place. Very close to Alice's. This is the view from the driveway on a bad day. Live in paradise but still have access to all the things that are the bay area. It is friggen expensive here though.

How do you keep from falling off?

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 03:19 PM
How do you keep from falling off?

I am down further. Good days you have green rolling hills and panoramic views of the ocean. Live on 30 acres. Motocross track, flat track and shooting range. It's as good as it gets for being in the bay area. When I go home I feel like the luckiest guy ever to live here. I have no idea why the picture flipped.

A8bil
06-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Yea I feel like the luckiest guy in the world to live there. Larry is on the ridiculously expensive Portola Valley I believe. I am actually on the West side of the mountain next Neil Youngs place. Very close to Alice's. This is the view from the driveway on a bad day. Live in paradise but still have access to all the things that are the bay area. It is friggen expensive here though. Beautiful...that looks a lot like the area between Duartes and La Honda on Stage Road. Pretty idyllic.

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Beautiful...that looks a lot like the area between Duartes and La Honda on Stage Road. Pretty idyllic.

Funny, my vet is just off stage road. Gotta love those gas station taco's.

I am just north of Alice's on the West side.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-11-2018, 04:04 PM
I'm not a downtown person. I like what my mom's family has going on in northern Virgina. They live back in the Blue Ridge. No neighbors, beautiful forests, wildlife, the Shenandoah river is within walking distance. One of the most picturesque places I've ever seen. Its a good deal. Winchester is cool little town that's only about 30 mins from them. Lots of history and good food. DC isn't much more than an hour away. Baltimore and Philly are pretty close. I'd like to do something similar some day. I don't want to be some hermit that's hours from anything, but I'd like to be a little outside of the city.

I'd probably go for SF, Seattle, or Boston if I had to pick a downtown, though.

Baby Lee
06-11-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm not a downtown person. I like what my mom's family has going on in northern Virgina. They live back in the Blue Ridge. No neighbors, beautiful forests, wildlife, the Shenandoah river is within walking distance. One of the most picturesque places I've ever seen. Its a good deal. Winchester is cool little town that's only about 30 mins from them. Lots of history and good food. DC isn't much more than an hour away. Baltimore and Philly are pretty close. I'd like to do something similar some day. I don't want to be some hermit that's hours from anything, but I'd like to be a little outside of the city.

Is life old there? Is it older than the trees?

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Is life old there? Is it older than the trees?

ROFL It was changing quite a bit the last time I was there. Lots of people from DC moving into the area and just commuting. I'm hoping it doesn't get overrun.

West Virginia is still West Virginia, though. Beautiful landscape full of toothless rednecks.

Coochie liquor
06-11-2018, 04:51 PM
I’ve heard downtown Austin is very cool but I’ve never been there. I really like the riverwalk district of Savannah Georgia if it was a little closer to the beach it would prob be my destination of choice (although I’d likely die in the frigid winters). I would prob choose between San Diego, or West Palm Beach.

Naptown Chief
06-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Downtown Nowheresville. Population- Me

Naptown Chief
06-11-2018, 05:10 PM

I lived in Purcellville, VA for a year. I absolutely loved it

sd4chiefs
06-11-2018, 05:10 PM

San Diego's BBQ sucks but other than that why do you think the food there is horrific?

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-11-2018, 05:16 PM
I lived in Purcellville, VA for a year. I absolutely loved it

I love all those little towns. Pville is a cool place. I've got cousins there and Berryville. I'll be out that way next week. Gonna spend most of my time kicking it in Bluemont, though.

Shag
06-11-2018, 05:48 PM

You must have had a uniquely bad experience, as you're the first person I've ever heard say that. I spent the first 40 years of my life in the Midwest (IA and MN, primarily), then moved to SD in late 2016. The people here have been fantastic, and IMHO, much easier to befriend than people in MN, home of "Minnesota Nice". The vast majority of folks here are transplants, and empathize with what it's like to move somewhere you don't have a base of friends. I've yet to have a negative experience with anyone in SD, and am constantly praising the people here when chatting with folks from back home.

:shrug:

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 05:48 PM
San Diego's BBQ sucks but other than that why do you think the food there is horrific?

Have you had a decent pizza there? I have not and tried the local stuff more than once.

A Steak?

Other than sea food, I haven't really had a meal in the San Diego/Aneheim/Long Beach area that was up to par or my expectations for price.

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the area on business.

Shag
06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Have you had a decent pizza there? I have not and tried the local stuff more than once.

Other than sea food, I haven't really had a meal in the San Diego/Aneheim/Long Beach area that was up to par or my expectations for price.

What do you consider "local stuff"? There's not really a SD style of pizza, so you'll find it all, of varying quality. I've enjoyed Pizza Port, Urbn, Lefty's, Bronx, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Nothing I'd say that blew my mind, but good pizza.

The Mexican food here is amazing (tons of amazing hole-in-the-wall places), as is the Thai, and fresh local seafood. There are some fantastic Americana places in Hillcrest, as well as some great breakfast spots.

I wouldn't consider SD a food destination, other than Mexican food, but on the whole, I've found the food options to be varied and tasty. No complaints.

Rain Man
06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
I should note that any time I think about moving out of Denver, I remember that we don't have fleas, ticks, or roaches here. (Well, other than Elway.)

Kiimo
06-11-2018, 05:59 PM
As an aside, I got bold and took the subway and bus to Laguardia the last time I was in New York. The subway goes from Manhattan to some random neighborhood in Queens, and then you find a bus to get to the airport.

Wowza. I got off that bus in Queens and it felt like I was in a different country. I don't know how to describe it properly, but I was on this street that was in perpetual shade because the subway was elevated over it, and it was full of tiny little storefronts that looked like something you'd see in a developing country, and I was not hearing much English in the conversations around me. It really had a bizarre feel to it.

One of the learning experiences of traveling around is that I realize how much of a Eurocentric bubble I live in in Denver. I realize that I'm supposed to like other cultures, but my shameful truth is that I like living in a place that is familiar to me in terms of experience and appearance. I like traveling to developing countries, but I don't want to live in one.

I stayed in a hostel in Jamaican Queens. I know exactly what you're talking about.

A Steak?

The hell you trying to eat a steak and pizza in San Diego for? If you're in San Diego you eat burritos. Nothing but the endless variety of burritos and they're the best anywhere north of the border.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 06:08 PM
What do you consider "local stuff"? There's not really a SD style of pizza, so you'll find it all, of varying quality. I've enjoyed Pizza Port, Urbn, Lefty's, Bronx, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Nothing I'd say that blew my mind, but good pizza.

The Mexican food here is amazing (tons of amazing hole-in-the-wall places), as is the Thai, and fresh local seafood. There are some fantastic Americana places in Hillcrest, as well as some great breakfast spots.

I wouldn't consider SD a food destination, other than Mexican food, but on the whole, I've found the food options to be varied and tasty. No complaints.
Ok, I understand. You are a local and know where to eat and that makes sense.

Just guessing, but I have probably had close to at least a couple hundred meals in the area.

To be honest, I am talking Anaheim where I spent at least five days every year all the way down to the Torrey Pines golf course area.

I have played a lot of golf courses down there and of course the meals would have been in that proximity but I will be darned if I could name a single one of the places I have eaten at.

Qualcomm was a really big customer in the area at one time so I would spend several nights a year near their facility.

The Mrs. spent a week down there once with me and she felt the same way I did about the food when judging it against similar size cities.

Don't get me wrong, it has some the best weather on the planet and we have had some great times there.

San Francisco is the home of my favorite restaurant in the country, Tadich Grill.

HemiEd
06-11-2018, 06:13 PM
The hell you trying to eat a steak and pizza in San Diego for? If you're in San Diego you eat burritos. Nothing but the endless variety of burritos and they're the best anywhere north of the border.

LOL, I can only eat that stuff a couple times a month and when you are spending several days a row in the area menu variety is nice.
Now my Mrs. loves the Mexican food and would make a steady diet of the stuff.

Have you ever tried to pick a healthy meal off a Mexican restaurant menu? Carbs, fat and mega calories.

bdj23
06-11-2018, 06:24 PM
If money was no object I would spend half my year in the Grand Tetons, then winter in San Diego

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Barns_grand_tetons.jpg

I was just up there a couple days ago around Jackson Hole.

Easy 6
06-11-2018, 06:25 PM
None of them, that money would buy me a piece of paradise on earth elsewhere

Love to visit the cities, would never live in one again

Shag
06-11-2018, 06:33 PM

My first few weeks in SD, I think I had a burrito a day. Probably put on 10lbs, lol, but so worth it. I take every visitor to get a Cali burrito from my favorite place, and it never fails to impress.

Shag
06-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Ok, I understand. You are a local and know where to eat and that makes sense.

Just guessing, but I have probably had close to at least a couple hundred meals in the area.

To be honest, I am talking Anaheim where I spent at least five days every year all the way down to the Torrey Pines golf course area.

I have played a lot of golf courses down there and of course the meals would have been in that proximity but I will be darned if I could name a single one of the places I have eaten at.

Qualcomm was a really big customer in the area at one time so I would spend several nights a year near their facility.

The Mrs. spent a week down there once with me and she felt the same way I did about the food when judging it against similar size cities.

Don't get me wrong, it has some the best weather on the planet and we have had some great times there.

San Francisco is the home of my favorite restaurant in the country, Tadich Grill.

I don't spend a ton of time in OC, but it seems a little stale in my very limited experience. I live down around Balboa Park, where it's almost entirely one-off places to eat (few chains), and about every cuisine you could want. A short distance to downtown, too. So, my experience would definitely be dramatically different than yours.

That said, I've heard the burger at Torrey is amazing.

srvy
06-11-2018, 06:51 PM

:thumb:

Maybe even Victoria Is. BC

BucEyedPea
06-11-2018, 08:37 PM
LOL, I can only eat that stuff a couple times a month and when you are spending several days a row in the area menu variety is nice.

Have you ever tried to pick a healthy meal off a Mexican restaurant menu? Carbs, fat and mega calories.

I never thought I'd tire of Mexican food but eventually I did OD on it. Got just plain tired of it. Still like it but don't overdo it to the point I can no longer appreciate it. I prefer menu variety in life and in travel.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2018, 08:38 PM
None of them, that money would buy me a piece of paradise on earth elsewhere

Love to visit the cities, would never live in one again

It was really hard for me to adjust to non-city life—even if just the burbs. Too quiet. Have to drive everywhere to get stuff. Too many chain restaurants. I miss cosmopolitan life from time to time still. So I would love a condo in a city and keep my home here.

sd4chiefs
06-11-2018, 08:42 PM

MMMMMM GRILLED OCTOPUS TACOS at Oscars Mexican Seafood

BucEyedPea
06-11-2018, 08:45 PM

I would never live in Canada. I rather love Quebec City though. It's like being in Europe. Wouldn't live there tho'.

Frazod
06-11-2018, 08:52 PM

I was massively impressed with Victoria. Beautiful, clean, scenic. It was basically what I expected Seattle to be, instead of the filthy, blighted piece of shit that it actually was.

I guess if that qualifies as a major city, that would be the one I'd pick.

srvy
06-11-2018, 10:04 PM
I was massively impressed with Victoria. Beautiful, clean, scenic. It was basically what I expected Seattle to be, instead of the filthy, blighted piece of shit that it actually was.

I guess if that qualifies as a major city, that would be the one I'd pick.

Just a short ferry ride to Vancouver. Could get my baseball fix by taking in the Victoria Harbourcats coached by Brian McRae.
http://harbourcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Hal_McRae_56-265x331.jpg

cdcox
06-11-2018, 11:01 PM

The weather truly sucked. I touched it out more than half the trip before I broke down and bought a jacket.

Food, wine, and art were all great. The food experience we had at Lazy Bear was fantastic. So was Muir Woods. I would enjoy the intellectual and entrepreneural climate. I would not take part in any water activities that involves me getting wet. Too freaking cold. I would choose Manhattan over SF. For the things I care about, both cities have much to offer, but Manhattan is more my style. Not that I could come close to affording either on my projected retirement income.

BigRedChief
06-11-2018, 11:27 PM
SF - big city appeal with alot of outdoor activities very close by. Best of both worlds really
Except like Twain discovered, l did 100 years later. Coldest winter ever was a summer in San Francisco.

BWillie
06-11-2018, 11:29 PM
The weather truly sucked. I touched it out more than half the trip before I broke down and bought a jacket.

Food, wine, and art were all great. The food experience we had at Lazy Bear was fantastic. So was Muir Woods. I would enjoy the intellectual and entrepreneural climate. I would not take part in any water activities that involves me getting wet. Too freaking cold. I would choose Manhattan over SF. For the things I care about, both cities have much to offer, but Manhattan is more my style. Not that I could come close to affording either on my projected retirement income.

Weather between 60-70 degrees all year sounds fantastic. Anything over 72 and I start to not like it. I'd rather it be 45 than 85, though, and I've heard that I'm weird for that preference.

BigRedChief
06-11-2018, 11:36 PM

I guess if that qualifies as a major city, that would be the one I'd pick.I’m never living in another country again. I miss my peeps, culture, the easy slang and shared experiences.

Tribal Warfare
06-11-2018, 11:46 PM
This should be qualified better, because if I want to live somewhere else in U.S. I'd do it. Though attachments such as family relationships is the crux and fucks up such plans because you factor that if you want to move.

A8bil
06-12-2018, 12:06 AM
If you're going outside of the US, I'ld take Copenhagen Denmark. Really nice city...all english speaking, lots of great history and culture. FAirly temperate.

Buehler445
06-12-2018, 12:24 AM
I've thought about this one for a couple days, and the city I live in doesn't matter much to me (obviously LOL).

My business and my kid's friends are far bigger concerns for where I am going to live than what I'm going to be doing after work.

For the sake of argument, if I can move everything I love about where I am, I'm moving to Honolulu. I fucking loved Hawaii when I was there, and I can get my ass out of town and chill really easily. The leeward (IIRC - I live in the High Plains - Give me a break) side of the island is arid enough that the humidity won't choke my ass to death (I live in a desert. It is a major weather issue for me. Much more than cold), and it doesn't snow.

And Teddy's, Motherfuckers.

Randallflagg
06-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Don't want to live in ANY major downtown city in ANY state. Don't like them - don't go to them.

Downtown KC is too big for me….give me the burbs any day.

Been in major metropolitan areas all over the world from New York to DC to Mannheim to Berlin to Moscow.

No thanks.

JD10367
06-12-2018, 04:39 AM
Only one I’ve been to is San Fran, which was nice, but I’d fear the earthquakes. For another U.S. city I’d pick Boston, my hometown. Elsewhere, I’d try Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal up north; overseas I’d try Barcelona or Stockholm or Oslo or Helsinki.

HemiEd
06-12-2018, 04:49 AM
I don't spend a ton of time in OC, but it seems a little stale in my very limited experience. I live down around Balboa Park, where it's almost entirely one-off places to eat (few chains), and about every cuisine you could want. A short distance to downtown, too. So, my experience would definitely be dramatically different than yours.

That said, I've heard the burger at Torrey is amazing.

I have probably had it, as I played it a few times. I waited five hours in the club house one time on a weekend for an opening with a threesome of Koreans. When I called they said they could work me right in.

There used to be a restaurant near the convention center in Anaheim called the "stagecoach" I think, that had a very good steak but it closed, then reopened but not as good.

I even stayed four days in Compton one time, that was an experience. They had a golf course built on a dump with a driving range. I don't believe I tried any of the local food though, or at least don't remember it.

like you, I do try and avoid chains, except for breakfast.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2018, 05:38 AM
Outside of my home city and country—Moscow.

scho63
06-12-2018, 09:03 AM

It's sad as there were very few problems or issues for me when I lived in San Fran even though I got mugged one night walking back from North Beach Pizza down Bay St heading back home to 156 Telegraph. A black mugger or crack addict landed on my back and my face hit the pavement, he was hiding in between two parked cars. He got $7.

I played golf all the time at Cinnabar Hills in South San Jose. I loved driving 84 towards La Honda and riding by the ocean. Riding through Woodside near Alice's Restaurant though the moss covered trees and winding roads was really soothing.

I loved Los Altos, downtown San Jose, Gilroy Garlic Festival, Napa Valley, Golden Gate Park, the greenway in front of Safeway in the Marina District, riding my bike on the trails near Stanford and Palo Alto, Lozano's car wash, all the great foods, Clark's burgers and so much more.

Naptown Chief
06-12-2018, 11:40 AM
I love all those little towns. Pville is a cool place. I've got cousins there and Berryville. I'll be out that way next week. Gonna spend most of my time kicking it in Bluemont, though.

Loudoun County in general is gorgeous. I miss it. My mother is obsessed with Harper's Ferry so I'd always take her there when she came down to see me. Have fun!

scho63
06-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Loudoun County in general is gorgeous. I miss it. My mother is obsessed with Harper's Ferry so I'd always take her there when she came down to see me. Have fun!

I took Harper's Ferry about 100 times in between 2013-2017. I lived in Ashburn and when I had to go survey properties in Gaithersburg or anywhere near there it was much quicker to go over the Ferry.

Loudoun County VA is the #1 highest per capita county in the US followed by #2 Howard County in MD and #3 Fairfax in VA.

They have just built another 5-6 HUGE data centers in Ashburn right where I was living.

I loved going to the wineries; 60+/- within 30 miles. I loved Cana Vineyards and Breaux Vineyards.

scho63
06-13-2018, 08:14 AM

More photos to make you homesick.....

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-19-2018, 11:56 PM
Just got back from Loudoun/Clarke. Just as amazing as I remembered it. I always feel like I'm in the Shire in Bluemont. Only hit up a couple of vineyards/breweries. Stone Tower Winery and Dirt Farm Brewing. Both excellent. I can't believe how cheap everything is there, either. My cousin is renting a house for 1000 that would cost me close to 3k in Denver. I've got 1-1.5 years of college left and then I think I'm gonna try to find something out there.

jaa1025
06-20-2018, 03:09 AM
Honolulu.

Traffic is atrocious and the whole island thing but I loved living there for 2 years. So much culture, people are great, beaches, weather. Absolutely love it.

06-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Something very near the mountains and not the west coast. Great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

rabblerouser
06-20-2018, 05:25 AM
Don't want to live in ANY major downtown city in ANY state. Don't like them - don't go to them.

Downtown KC is too big for me….give me the burbs any day.

Been in major metropolitan areas all over the world from New York to DC to Mannheim to Berlin to Moscow.

No thanks.
Yeah, living in the city SUCKS!

Saulbadguy
06-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Portland, OR.

Baby Lee
06-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Portland, OR.

D'ya remember the 90s?

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HX8BsX3IIa4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63
06-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Just got back from Loudoun/Clarke. Just as amazing as I remembered it. I always feel like I'm in the Shire in Bluemont. Only hit up a couple of vineyards/breweries. Stone Tower Winery and Dirt Farm Brewing. Both excellent. I can't believe how cheap everything is there, either. My cousin is renting a house for 1000 that would cost me close to 3k in Denver. I've got 1-1.5 years of college left and then I think I'm gonna try to find something out there.

Did you go to Stone Tower for a military event? :hmmm: My buddy recently tweeted a photo of him and his wife there for an event.

You will find a good paying job there in 2 seconds if you bring some technology or healthcare or other decent degree with you.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Did you go to Stone Tower for a military event? :hmmm: My buddy recently tweeted a photo of him and his wife there for an event.

You will find a good paying job there in 2 seconds if you bring some technology or healthcare or other decent degree with you.

I wasn't. There wasn't much going on when I was there. Great wine, though. One of the better wineries I've been to out there. I love the view at Bluemont Vineyards, too.

I'm studying Aerospace/Aviation Mgmt so I'll probably gun for an operations gig at Dulles. I could do a ton with that degree, though.

Saulbadguy
06-20-2018, 12:57 PM
D'ya remember the 90s?

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HX8BsX3IIa4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hah - cacao.

crazycoffey
06-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Maui

Baby Lee
06-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Maui

Well howdy, officer.

crazycoffey
06-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Hi ��

REDHOTGTO
06-20-2018, 06:52 PM
if I HAD to live in a big city to keep the money, i'd give it back !
this ole little town boy aint ever gonna live in a big city, I even hate to drive thru them, vacation in them, or visit family in them.
I've lived 54 yrs in a town of 10,000 people and plan to stay here, ask hogfarmer he knows all about it

Why Not?
06-21-2018, 12:35 AM
Honolulu.

Traffic is atrocious and the whole island thing but I loved living there for 2 years. So much culture, people are great, beaches, weather. Absolutely love it.

This is a smart fella

PunkinDrublic
06-21-2018, 01:22 AM
No downtown Olathe? Thread fail. I’ve always loved SoCal. I would love to stay in one of those beach cities south of L.A or in Orange County. Probably Newport Beach.

Baby Lee
06-21-2018, 01:52 AM
No downtown Olathe? Thread fail. I’ve always loved SoCal. I would love to stay in one of those beach cities south of L.A or in Orange County. Probably Newport Beach.

Or Santa Monica?
You an live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers and watch the world die

PunkinDrublic
06-21-2018, 05:38 AM
Or Santa Monica?
You an live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers and watch the world die

Sure, I mean if you got to live in one of those places and didn’t have to commute in traffic every day I think life would be pretty sweet.

SuperBowl4
06-21-2018, 06:32 AM
No downtown Olathe? Thread fail. I’ve always loved SoCal. I would love to stay in one of those beach cities south of L.A or in Orange County. Probably Newport Beach.HERMOSA BEACH :drool:

scho63
06-22-2018, 08:02 AM
I wasn't. There wasn't much going on when I was there. Great wine, though. One of the better wineries I've been to out there. I love the view at Bluemont Vineyards, too.

I'm studying Aerospace/Aviation Mgmt so I'll probably gun for an operations gig at Dulles. I could do a ton with that degree, though.

Good luck. You won't need much help getting a job. That degree will have people begging you to work for them. Orbital Sciences, Rolls Royce Engines, Lockheed, Gruman, Blackhawk Technologies, CAIC, and a million more there within spitting distance from Dulles Airport. Either on Rt 28 or the Dulles Toll Road.

Aside from the horrific traffic and sky high rent/property, it's a GREAT place to live. I loved it for the last 10 years.

You'll never get bored.....

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
06-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Good luck. You won't need much help getting a job. That degree will have people begging you to work for them. Orbital Sciences, Rolls Royce Engines, Lockheed, Gruman, Blackhawk Technologies, CAIC, and a million more there within spitting distance from Dulles Airport. Either on Rt 28 or the Dulles Toll Road.

Aside from the horrific traffic and sky high rent/property, it's a GREAT place to live. I loved it for the last 10 years.

You'll never get bored.....

Yeah, I figure I probably won't have too much trouble with that degree. Is rent/property that high out in Loudoun/Clarke? I looked around a little when I was there and it looked pretty damn good. I was looking out in the boonies, though. I'm in Denver where it's absolutely horrid. Over $1000/month would get me a closet studio in Little Honduras here. Any decent newish home with a yard is around 3k now. If I can get views like below I don't care about a long commute.

EDIT: So I looked around some real estate sites for shits n giggles. There are definitely a lot of hoity toity areas but there's some really reasonable stuff there. A 5 bedroom, 5 bath, 5,000 sq ft for 440K. That's not happening in Denver for less than a million.

Coogs
06-22-2018, 12:53 PM
I've never been there, but I think if I was young and single, I might try living in downtown Nashville for a year or two.

Buehler445
06-22-2018, 06:42 PM
I've thought about this one for a couple days, and the city I live in doesn't matter much to me (obviously LOL).

My business and my kid's friends are far bigger concerns for where I am going to live than what I'm going to be doing after work.

For the sake of argument, if I can move everything I love about where I am, I'm moving to Honolulu. I fucking loved Hawaii when I was there, and I can get my ass out of town and chill really easily. The leeward (IIRC - I live in the High Plains - Give me a break) side of the island is arid enough that the humidity won't choke my ass to death (I live in a desert. It is a major weather issue for me. Much more than cold), and it doesn't snow.

And Teddy's, Motherfuckers.

This is a smart fella

I called it first.

patteeu
06-22-2018, 07:40 PM
D'ya remember the 90s?

"Portland is a city where young people go to retire." LMAO

scho63
06-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Is rent/property that high out in Loudoun/Clarke?

The further away from Wash DC you move, the lower the prices generally.

Areas like Bethesda, Chevy Chase and Potomac MD are sky high and exclusive.

Places like McLean and many areas of Reston have sky high prices. In Reston Town Center, a BEAUTIFUL location, they have several newly built apartment complexes getting $2,500-$6,000 a month, NY style prices. I lived there for a year when I first moved to NoVA in 2007, splitting a 2 BR 2 BA luxury apt with someone for $900 each plus utilities.

Loudoun County has a big footprint and unless you want to live with 40,000 Indian developers avoid Brambleton. It's a brand new town that in the last 20 years went from around 10,000 people to 40,000. Ashburn, where I lived is great and has a good affordability.

I would be shocked if you don't have starting pay of at least $85,000 a year and possibly $100K+ if you work for someone like Orbital or Lockheed or Northrop Grumman. If you have a clean background, you should start preparing yourself for a government security clearance, which can bump your pay another $20K most times or more. I think you can go to the FBI and request one for a fee but I'm not positive.

Clarke County is much cheaper but there is a small problem: so many people have moved West from DC and places like Alexandria and Arlington plus the explosive population growth that traffic coming East every morning is ridiculous. You should see the line of cars every day coming out of Maryland across Point of Rocks bridge on Rt 15 through wine country and small towns. It takes 90 minutes to go 15-20 miles of stop and go with lights.

You have to judge for yourself your pain level of commute versus the sanctity of open space and cost of living.

In Loudoun County, the HIGHEST per capita county in the US, you pay a fee each year for your car to be in the county as a resident.

Towns like Herndon also have another fee. Herndon is a nice little town with many amenities, not too expensive but very very Hispanic with a small MS-13 factor that does not stand out too much.

Manassas is THE Hispanic capital of Northern VA along with Langley Takoma Park in MD. Both places you do not want to live in, no matter how cheap.

Another big factor is how old you are and what you like to do in your spare time. There are SO MANY things to do you will NEVER get bored, I can guarantee you that.

Hope this helps.