PDA

View Full Version : Football R. Bush - $12.5M jury award - Rams org 100% liability

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Ring of uncovered concrete flooring surrounding field of play led to knee injury when he skidded out of bounds. Affected his market value

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-jury-orders-rams-to-pay-million-to-former/article_ebbc8c19-2c12-547b-afdd-adbef0bca526.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 02:38 PM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcuMItfRLj4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefGator
06-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Wow.. crazy

Also, that video.. wow.. just .... wow.

Ming the Merciless
06-12-2018, 02:41 PM
jesus

I forgot about all of this.....crazy...I mean, if it was bad concrete / a bad concrete job... I dont see how this decision is anything but fair...considering they seem to have known about the problem...

I guess it must be fixed by now..?

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Now he can buy his Heisman Trophy back.

BryanBusby
06-12-2018, 02:45 PM
jesus

I forgot about all of this.....crazy...I mean, if it was bad concrete / a bad concrete job... I dont see how this decision is anything but fair...considering they seem to have known about the problem...

Oh they fixed it

wazu
06-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Kinda wonder if this opens the floodgates.

Chief_For_Life58
06-12-2018, 02:48 PM
thats ridiculous you have a concrete outter ring surrounding an nfl field where players are running full speed. Turn your brains on stadium architects lol

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
jesus

Oh they fixed it

ROFL ROFL

Seriously, though. The biggest issue to be resolved was whether the city, through Edward Jones Dome, had any liability. Apparently, the jury found that the Rams org had total control of facility configuration on the day and date of games.

Would have been a nice dollop of salt in the wound if the city had to pay out even more money for the Rams in 2018 [other than existing liabilities, of course].

KC_Lee
06-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Kinda wonder if this opens the floodgates.

Old Veterans Stadium comes to mind.

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 02:59 PM
thats ridiculous you have a concrete outter ring surrounding an nfl field where players are running full speed. Turn your brains on stadium architects lol

It's not an architecture problem, it's a configuration problem.

It's a multipurpose facility, there's going to be bare concrete all over the place.

It's incumbent on the event organizer to configure the facility in a manner appropriate for their purposes.

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 03:00 PM
He probably won't see a dime and if he does its gonna be a while. The rams are asking for a new trial already.

2 issues in 20 years.

Rain Man
06-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Maybe the architects suffered from CTE.

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 03:01 PM
It's not an architecture problem, it's a configuration problem.

It's a multipurpose facility, there's going to be bare concrete all over the place.

It's incumbent on the event organizer to configure the facility in a manner appropriate for their purposes.how many rbs slipped previously?

He could have avoided the situation imo

lostcause
06-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Old Veterans Stadium comes to mind.

All you had to do there was go up to catch a pass and shatter both knees coming down...

wazu
06-12-2018, 03:06 PM
how many rbs slipped previously?

He could have avoided the situation imo

I know, right? Stay in bounds! That’s where players are supposed to be!

ChiefGator
06-12-2018, 03:09 PM

They should have put a wall on the sidelines, like the Arena League.

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Not my point . By the time he got to the concrete he had gotten under control and could have just angled to his left imo and missed it entirely

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
And it looks as though his last step before hitting the concrete was when he gimped on it.

Hydrae
06-12-2018, 03:17 PM
I am amazed at the size of the judgement. If I remember right he was only suing for something like $12K. Basically to cover his medical expenses.

EDIT: It was a little more than I thought:

The suit filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court referred to the surface as a "concrete ring of death." It maintains the stadium authority was negligent and seeks in excess of $50,000 plus unspecified punitive damages.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/reggie-bush-lawsuit-filed-concrete-slip-st-louis-edward-jones-dome-010616

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 03:18 PM
I am amazed at the size of the judgement. If I remember right he was only suing for something like $12K. Basically to cover his medical expenses.

Hampered his marketability in a contract year.

Hydrae
06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
ROFL ROFL

Seriously, though. The biggest issue to be resolved was whether the city, through Edward Jones Dome, had any liability. Apparently, the jury found that the Rams org had total control of facility configuration on the day and date of games.

Would have been a nice dollop of salt in the wound if the city had to pay out even more money for the Rams in 2018 [other than existing liabilities, of course].

Not the jury, the judge a couple days ago:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/09/rams-stand-alone-as-sole-remaining-defendant-in-reggie-bush-case/

The dismissed defendants owned and operated the venue, but the law makes them responsible only if they have exclusive control of the site. The evidence introduced during the trial showed that Rams and the now-dismissed defendants had joint control of the Edward Jones Dome on game days.

ChiefGator
06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
It really is an interesting case... seems to open pro sports teams for more cases down the road.

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Not the jury, the judge a couple days ago:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/09/rams-stand-alone-as-sole-remaining-defendant-in-reggie-bush-case/

The dismissed defendants owned and operated the venue, but the law makes them responsible only if they have exclusive control of the site. The evidence introduced during the trial showed that Rams and the now-dismissed defendants had joint control of the Edward Jones Dome on game days.

My bad. Bad source info. Thanks

displacedinMN
06-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Can we complain about
RCA dome
Reliant stadium
Gillette Stadium

while we are at it?

Eleazar
06-12-2018, 03:48 PM
At least no fans had to witness it.

BigRedChief
06-12-2018, 03:51 PM
thats ridiculous you have a concrete outter ring surrounding an nfl field where players are running full speed. Turn your brains on stadium architects lolThis! I don’t see this as a frivolous lawsuit.

The NFL needs to protect the players as much as possible. They are taught to run hard until your out of bounds. They can’t stop within 5 feet. Put some artificial turf or something down so they can stop themselves before they hit the wall.

Skyy God
06-12-2018, 03:53 PM
He probably won't see a dime and if he does its gonna be a while. The rams are asking for a new trial already.

2 issues in 20 years.

New trial requests are SOP, Sauto.

He’s gonna get paid.

No way a 3 judge Eastern Distruct panel sides with the Rams given Kronke’s shit talking on the way out.

Skyy God
06-12-2018, 03:57 PM

EDIT: It was a little more than I thought:

The suit filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court referred to the surface as a "concrete ring of death." It maintains the stadium authority was negligent and seeks in excess of $50,000 plus unspecified punitive damages.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/reggie-bush-lawsuit-filed-concrete-slip-st-louis-edward-jones-dome-010616

$50K is likely the Circuit vs. Associate Circuit threshold amount in StL.

It’s $25K here.

Hamwallet
06-12-2018, 04:11 PM

This. Anyone that complains against Bush needs to have a few NFL D backs chase them while wearing cleats on turf then all the sudden be on concrete.

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 04:33 PM

It’s $25K here.

In case people didn't get the significance.

The plea 'in excess of $50K' is not a specific request. It's a jurisdictional requirement of the venue.

ie, it's a representation by the complainant that the cause of action meets the requirements to be heard in the court it is heard in. It's not so small that it could be heard in small claims court. It's not a dispute that the parties can't resolve with the exchange of money.

It's not a specific sum being sought. That will be established with evidence and weighed and awarded by the trier of fact later in the actual trial.

This is a statement that 'this is the proper place to resolve this dispute.'

Baby Lee
06-12-2018, 04:36 PM
This. Anyone that complains against Bush needs to have a few NFL D backs chase them while wearing cleats on turf then all the sudden be on concrete.

Yeah, I wonder how many detractors have tried negotiating flat concrete in cleats.

There's a reason that nearly every soccer player has these in their bag.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RNE8HG9ZL._UX535_.jpg

Chief Roundup
06-12-2018, 04:54 PM
ROFL ROFL

Why?

displacedinMN
06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
ROFL ROFL

Maybe the empty stadium commission will be asked to pay for part of this.

Chief Roundup
06-12-2018, 04:57 PM

It’s $25K here.

The biggest part of this amount is punitive damages which I don't believe can be limited to those minuscule amount.

Mecca
06-12-2018, 05:03 PM
I can't believe anyone would not side with Bush here, there is clear negligence on behalf of the Rams and their stadium.

Skyy God
06-12-2018, 05:09 PM
I can't believe anyone would not side with Bush here, there is clear negligence on behalf of the Rams and their stadium.

The “trickle down, side with management/capital over labor” ethos is strong here.

-King-
06-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Same shit happened at chargers stadium when we played. I thought Tyreek was going to tear his ACL when he slipped
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 05:17 PM
This! I don’t see this as a frivolous lawsuit.

The NFL needs to protect the players as much as possible. They are taught to run hard until your out of bounds. They can’t stop within 5 feet. Put some artificial turf or something down so they can stop themselves before they hit the wall.

How many feet was he running while out of bounds?

SAUTO
06-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Hint... the concrete was 35 feet behind the bench. He was running at an angle to get there.

Buehler445
06-12-2018, 05:28 PM
In case people didn't get the significance.

The plea 'in excess of $50K' is not a specific request. It's a jurisdictional requirement of the venue.

ie, it's a representation by the complainant that the cause of action meets the requirements to be heard in the court it is heard in. It's not so small that it could be heard in small claims court. It's not a dispute that the parties can't resolve with the exchange of money.

It's not a specific sum being sought. That will be established with evidence and weighed and awarded by the trier of fact later in the actual trial.

This is a statement that 'this is the proper place to resolve this dispute.'
Thanks. That clarifies things.

Kiimo
06-12-2018, 08:35 PM
https://twitter.com/ReggieBush/status/1006661696381956098

ChiefsCountry
06-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Rams last year in St. Louis they left areas of the Dome's concrete floor exposed.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcuMItfRLj4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I noticed it when the Chiefs played there in preseason, see the video at :47 mark
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M_2au3gj9-4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2015 field
https://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/dome.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

cdcox
06-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I wonder how many detractors have tried negotiating flat concrete in cleats.

There's a reason that nearly every soccer player has these in their bag.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RNE8HG9ZL._UX535_.jpg

Or bicycle shoes.

Chiefs4TheWin
06-12-2018, 11:28 PM
The Astrodome would be paying out by the boatloads in todays world.

kccrow
06-12-2018, 11:33 PM
I looked for Reggie, but all I saw was Crystal Marie Denha and man was that a good time... over and over and over again

KChiefs1
06-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Can’t believe I had to pay for that dump.

Kiimo
06-13-2018, 01:32 PM
I looked for Reggie, but all I saw was Crystal Marie Denha and man was that a good time... over and over and over again

She's a quality follow on instagram.

Expect stories full of cleavage with her and her friends.

ChiefsCountry
06-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Can’t believe I had to pay for that dump.

They let it turn into a dump. It could have been a nice facility, it's very nice on the outside. Simple changes like new seats, scoreboards, ribbon board etc. Would have made the place look good.

Rams Fan
06-13-2018, 08:10 PM
They let it turn into a dump. It could have been a nice facility, it's very nice on the outside. Simple changes like new seats, scoreboards, ribbon board etc. Would have made the place look good.

Blame should be 50/50 with city and Georgia on that end.

Georgia pocketed money in 2005 and waived the clause for "first/top" tier standard for the Dome instead of renovating it.

The Dome was renovated later on, but not significantly.

I also wouldn't consider it a dump. The issue is that it's a convention center designed to host football with a limited amount tailgating dedicated to it in addition to the failed Bottle District area.

The city is fucking stupid enough to have let the Rams have a clause to leave before the Dome was paid off in the first place.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2018, 08:19 PM
It is/was a dump. Was a Terrible NFL venue and atmosphere