PDA

View Full Version : Football Taking a break from the NFL obsession

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Those of you who know me and have visited the gameroom will know what kind of step this is for me so here's my checklist.

1.Recently informed my big money fantasy league that I'm out and I've already found someone to take my spot.

2.Will not be activating the other 6 DTV receivers this season.

3.Will not have Sunday Ticket

4,Will be spending more time outside in the Fall,either here or at the lake instead of being cooped up 12-14 hours on Sundays watching a game I have very little faith in anymore.

This does not mean I am done and have washed my hands of all but the plan is to take a major break which in all honesty I hope becomes a permanent thing.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Nixhex
06-14-2018, 07:25 AM
I could not watch any other games but the Chiefs game and be fine. Don't think I could give up watching the Chiefs. I haven't missed a single game since 1997. I might be able to give up Fantasy football but that would be a tough one. Good luck Nzoner.

BigRichard
06-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Those of you who know me and have visited the gameroom will know what kind of step this is for me so here's my checklist.

1.Recently informed my big money fantasy league that I'm out and I've already found someone to take my spot.

4,Will be spending more time outside in the Fall,either here or at the lake instead of being cooped up 12-14 hours on Sundays watching a game I have very little faith in anymore.

This does not mean I am done and have washed my hands of all but the plan is to take a major break which in all honesty I hope becomes a permanent thing.

Yeah, I have found myself watching less football on Sundays. I was religious about watching football on Sunday up until a couple of years ago. Last year I think I watched maybe half of the Chief games and maybe one other game all year.

BigBeauford
06-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Worst season ever to take a break.

luv
06-14-2018, 07:32 AM
No shame in that at all. I definitely know your passion for the sport, so those are some pretty big steps. Best of luck, and have fun outdoors!

loochy
06-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Nzoner, this sounds like a wonderful idea. You'll save a good bit of coin and I'm pretty sure you'll be happier and healthier with a better relationship with your wife. Maybe just catch the Chiefs games on local TV or on the radio as you drive to/from the lake.

You don't like the way the NFL is headed? Speak with your pocketbook. Good job man.
Posted via Mobile Device

redfan
06-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Spending more time outside sounds a whole lot better than spending more money. Enjoy!

Eleazar
06-14-2018, 07:57 AM
I pretty much just watch the Chiefs and a percentage of the high profile games around the league. I almost never watch the Monday or Thursday games. The days of me tuning in for 5 NFL games a week are long gone. The sport just isn't as interesting as it once was.

Dayze
06-14-2018, 08:01 AM
for the past 3 years or so, I've basically watched the Chiefs games, then go about my day/business. Couldn't tell you the last non-Chiefs game I watched, aside from the Super Bowl.
I find more enjoyment watching college football and have my Sundays back.

Prison Bitch
06-14-2018, 08:07 AM
College football sucks so bad^

Fish
06-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Chiefs are going to the Superbowl for sure now...

Simply Red
06-14-2018, 08:16 AM
was it my NFL takes? Just come back - I'll stick to food threads and movies!

ChiefsCountry
Most excited for a Chiefs season in 15 years. Going to be a fun one.

KCrockaholic
Dude... Why would someone seriously wait until NOW to go rogue on the Chiefs?

We're in store for potentially the most exciting next 10 years in Kansas City history.

And seeing the birth of our chosen one build himself from the ground up will all be a part of the journey.

I've told the fuckin pizza man to embrace this journey and don't miss a game. If you're a hint of a Chiefs fan, you need to jump aboard this and enjoy the ride because this is what we've been asking for-for 40 years.

Simply Red
06-14-2018, 08:21 AM
I was going to buy some firecrackers when I was in town too!

bevischief
06-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Outside of the Chiefs since I moved back to KC about 2 yrs ago same here.

wazu
06-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Waited my whole life for Chiefs to draft and develop a franchise QB. Can’t wait for this season.

Ming the Merciless
06-14-2018, 08:35 AM
Worst season ever to take a break.

This. Maybe dvr the games and watch them at night

This sucks because i always wanted to show up at an nzoner bash

I wish you well sir

SuperBowl4
06-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Does this mean the CHIEFS will now win a playoff game at home? The curse is over! You should have done this years ago.

Bearcat
06-14-2018, 08:44 AM
You can always DVR the Chiefs or any big game and watch it in a matter of 60-90 minutes. Obviously, Mahomes will be worth watching, but it doesn't have to be a 3+hour thing, either.

I remember the FOMO when I first started getting away from it, but the fewer games you watch, the more you realize you're not really missing much at all.

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 08:46 AM

I didn't say that,you'd have to see my NFL themed gameroom to know that my life is/was totally obsessed by all things NFL.

Believe me a major break for me is watching one game a week and I may do that via DVR.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 08:47 AM
I didn't say that,you'd have to see my NFL themed gameroom to know that my life is/was totally obsessed by all things NFL.

Believe me a major break for me is watching one game a week and I may do that via DVR.

Just don't miss Chiefs games. This is what we've asked and wanted all along.

wazu
06-14-2018, 08:48 AM

In that case sounds like a reasonable and probably positive life adjustment. I couldn’t do it, but glad for you.

Jerok
06-14-2018, 08:52 AM
But... Mahomes??

Mile High Mania
06-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Totally understand the thought... after fighting through the last few decades though, it's an odd time to walk. Best of luck.

displacedinMN
06-14-2018, 09:10 AM
I don't blame you. I watch the Chiefs. That is it. Maybe check in on others if I am still doing school work.

Fall is the best season

SuperBowl4
06-14-2018, 09:17 AM

Believe me a major break for me is watching one game a week and I may do that via DVR.Did Colin Kaepernick have anything to do with this?

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 09:17 AM
It's always easy to tell who and who hasn't read the OP :D

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Did Colin Kaepernick have anything to do with this?

Since you asked here's a few reasons I've made this decision

1.First and foremost as an avid sports gambler for 30+ years I feel the game has gotten shady as hell and certain calls,outcomes and the like are heavily influenced by Vegas spreads and over/unders.I'm not saying the entire league is fixed by any means but as someone who follows Vegas odds like a hawk the coincidences over the years have just become too much and I feel like I'm watching the WWE at times.

2.The whole National Anthem debacle as well as certain players not respecting ANYTHING and acting like spoiled brats has also contributed.

3.Getting older and becoming semi-retired as in some of the most beautiful days are in Sept/October and I want to enjoy them while I can,even it means sitting under my favorite tree at the lake with a cooler and some tunes and watching the Chiefs on my time via DVR.

SuperChief
06-14-2018, 09:35 AM
I just got out of my long-time FF league this year, which I'm thrilled about. I hardly paid attention this last year anyway.

I almost exclusively watch Chiefs games only. Maaaaaybe the Super Bowl.

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 09:38 AM
I just got out of my long-time FF league this year, which I'm thrilled about. I hardly paid attention this last year anyway.

I almost exclusively watch Chiefs games only. Maaaaaybe the Super Bowl.

I've been playing since the early 90's,I'm anxious to see if there's any withdrawls.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
06-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Ya - I'd rather be fishing.

WhawhaWhat
06-14-2018, 09:54 AM
I wasn't as diehard as you but I used to watch all Chiefs games, whatever AFC West team was playing in the other time slot plus MNF. Now I watch most Chiefs games and nothing else, not even most playoff games.

scho63
06-14-2018, 10:22 AM
I only watch the Chiefs so I'm not over loaded with NFL games.

Buehler445
06-14-2018, 10:23 AM
I’m way more excited to watch Mahomes than I’ve been in a decade.

Eleazar
06-14-2018, 10:25 AM

We're in store for potentially the most exciting next 10 years in Kansas City history.

And seeing the birth of our chosen one build himself from the ground up will all be a part of the journey.

I've told the ****in pizza man to embrace this journey and don't miss a game. If you're a hint of a Chiefs fan, you need to jump aboard this and enjoy the ride because this is what we've been asking for-for 40 years.

Andy Reid. Bob Sutton.

Coochie liquor
06-14-2018, 10:26 AM
You’re gonna miss the Brady farewell tour though??!!!!????

notorious
06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
I feel you, N.

Breaking off fantasy football is a HUGE step.

HemiEd
06-14-2018, 11:18 AM

1.First and foremost as an avid sports gambler for 30+ years I feel the game has gotten shady as hell and certain calls,outcomes and the like are heavily influenced by Vegas spreads and over/unders.I'm not saying the entire league is fixed by any means but as someone who follows Vegas odds like a hawk the coincidences over the years have just become too much and I feel like I'm watching the WWE at times.

2.The whole National Anthem debacle as well as certain players not respecting ANYTHING and acting like spoiled brats has also contributed.

3.Getting older and becoming semi-retired as in some of the most beautiful days are in Sept/October and I want to enjoy them while I can,even it means sitting under my favorite tree at the lake with a cooler and some tunes and watching the Chiefs on my time via DVR.

Good for you Joe.

Each time I catch myself caught up in the game and believing in it, stuff like the "forward progress" call tells me I am a fool.

The 98 playoff game against the Broncos was the beginning, the wake up call.

No point in rehashing all the others, but now I just watch and enjoy the Chiefs. If they win, great. If they don't, oh well.

Like you, I used to bet a lot and would be in action on several games at once, "lighting up the board" as they say, while watching them all on DTV.

Not anymore, Dartgods game is all I play and it is plenty. Like you say, that is some of the best weather of the year.

Enjoy!

stevieray
06-14-2018, 12:14 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

scho63
06-14-2018, 12:44 PM

This for sure. :clap::clap::clap:

I sometimes grab a cigar and a couple of cold beers in a bag with ice, go for a car ride somewhere like a mountain vista, sit on a rock, take in the panoramic beautiful view, light up and drink my beers while just chilling and thinking simple thoughts.

It has a nice effect of slowing life down.......Spending quiet time alone can be very cathartic.

ChiefsCountry
06-14-2018, 12:44 PM
I've been playing since the early 90's,I'm anxious to see if there's any withdrawls.

Nope. Makes watching the other game's so much more enjoyable.

Dayze
06-14-2018, 12:47 PM

I played for about 10 years or so; was really into it. I stopped playing about 5 years ago, and haven't looked back.

Dayze
06-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Good for you Joe.

Each time I catch myself caught up in the game and believing in it, stuff like the "forward progress" call tells me I am a fool.

The 98 playoff game against the Broncos was the beginning, the wake up call.

No point in rehashing all the others, but now I just watch and enjoy the Chiefs. If they win, great. If they don't, oh well.

Like you, I used to bet a lot and would be in action on several games at once, "lighting up the board" as they say, while watching them all on DTV.

Not anymore, Dartgods game is all I play and it is plenty. Like you say, that is some of the best weather of the year.

Enjoy!

yep. this is where I'm at.

displacedinMN
06-14-2018, 12:49 PM
I wish DTV would offer an ala cart package or single team package. I thought they would after the survey a few years ago. Alas, no.

Molitoth
06-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Life is so much better not giving a shit about sports teams.

htismaqe
06-14-2018, 01:13 PM
I actually checked out a few years ago but with Mahomes taking over, it makes PERFECT sense to do this now.

Yeah, the Mahomes era is going to be exciting. But starting out with a "don't care" baseline means he (and the team) can only exceed expectations. There's no downside.

Best22
06-14-2018, 01:16 PM
The smarter fan would have taken a hiatus from 1970-2017, then started up again in 2018

ModSocks
06-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Life is so much better not giving a shit about sports teams.

I would rather have loved and lost than to have no loved at all.

banecat
06-14-2018, 02:58 PM
I can admire your discipline. I'd like to take a hiatus from watching football on Sundays. Three hours per game, and so many stoppages with many of them just for advertisements, and the product being directed to people who normally wouldn't be watching, and it's a business and so they have to sell the product and pay for the product. I get that. But if there's football on I'm watching it. A labor dispute is the only way to pull me away, and as much as college football isn't quite the same with being inferior, it's different enough to make it very enjoyable, and for the first three months there are so many games to choose from every Saturday at the same time that it's beautiful

KChiefs1
06-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Just when the Chiefs get interesting? Ok.

KChiefs1
06-14-2018, 03:13 PM
The smarter fan would have taken a hiatus from 1970-2017, then started up again in 2018

The 1971 team was a fun team to watch...right up there with the 1993 & 1997 teams.

Bearcat
06-14-2018, 03:25 PM
I would rather have loved and lost than to have no loved at all.

Don't think I have to remind you that it's not mutual, at all... and that kind of love, for that amount of time, to that extent... has to be unhealthy.

Best22
06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
The 1971 team was a fun team to watch...right up there with the 1993 & 1997 teams.

So was the 2015 team

Every franchise has fun teams but none of those teams achieved the ultimate goal, or even won the AFC

Mile High Mania
06-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Truth be told, my schedule has been so crazy the last several years that it's hard to watch more than one game. I have 3 kids between the ages of 12-16 and they're all involved in lots of stuff and with work, it's really impossible to justify spending a whole Sunday watching games. I'd love to watch more, but I do good to catch the Denver game and one of the primetime games.

Hell, I haven't watched a Sunday morning sports show in probably 10 years. I don't want my kids to remember their dad sitting on the couch watching football in their prime years.

MMXcalibur
06-14-2018, 04:18 PM

I've told the fuckin pizza man to embrace this journey and don't miss a game. If you're a hint of a Chiefs fan, you need to jump aboard this and enjoy the ride because this is what we've been asking for-for 40 years.

Amen to this.

It’s like Andy Dufresne finally crawling out of the sewer pipe only to purposely drown himself in the river.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2018, 04:21 PM
This will be my 3rd year without season ticket or playing in a FFL. Like you I was into it big time. I won my FFL 2 out of the last 3 years I played. After starting the gambling thread here at the planet I had won it twice as well and did not play the last 3 years. I stopped during the Kaepernick debacle and just wanting to spend more time with my son who was getting older. Last year you could count the hours I watched on one hand. I only watched the first half of the chiefs playoff game sitting in a restaurant when I told my son it was the same old chiefs and they were going to play to not lose and because of that they would lose again. I understand that prediction was correct.

At this point I have no regrets. I love having my Sundays back. Family time is 10k x better. Funny, Kaepernick ended up being the best thing to ever happen to my weekends. You are totally going to dig it man. Still hope I get a chance to meet you one day.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Truth be told, my schedule has been so crazy the last several years that it's hard to watch more than one game. I have 3 kids between the ages of 12-16 and they're all involved in lots of stuff and with work, it's really impossible to justify spending a whole Sunday watching games. I'd love to watch more, but I do good to catch the Denver game and one of the primetime games.

Hell, I haven't watched a Sunday morning sports show in probably 10 years. I don't want my kids to remember their dad sitting on the couch watching football in their prime years.

Kids change everything no doubt.

jaa1025
06-14-2018, 04:42 PM
I gave up watching the NFL outside of the Chiefs with the whole kneeling thing. I don't really miss it. I probably would have gave it all up if it wasn't for Mahomes.

ChiliConCarnage
06-14-2018, 04:46 PM
I can admire your discipline. I'd like to take a hiatus from watching football on Sundays. Three hours per game, and so many stoppages with many of them just for advertisements, and the product being directed to people who normally wouldn't be watching, and it's a business and so they have to sell the product and pay for the product. I get that. But if there's football on I'm watching it. A labor dispute is the only way to pull me away, and as much as college football isn't quite the same with being inferior, it's different enough to make it very enjoyable, and for the first three months there are so many games to choose from every Saturday at the same time that it's beautiful

Have you tried Red Zone? It's pretty amazing. Especially if you're into fantasy or gambling. You just pop around to games with exciting stuff happening. No commercials. Sometimes, you're watching multiple games at once for a short period if several are threatening to score. When there is a break with nobody close it shows a game with a team driving or replays of some huge interceptions or a huge run someone had in the last few minutes. The host is pretty funny too

eDave
06-14-2018, 04:50 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/392/026/21b.jpg

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-14-2018, 06:00 PM
College football sucks so bad^

Incorrect.

College football is way more exciting than the NFL.

BryanBusby
06-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Eh, not really.

Money has wrecked the NCAA, and created a real disadvantage if you're not Alabama.

htismaqe
06-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Eh, not really.

Money has wrecked the NCAA, and created a real disadvantage if you're not Alabama.

The thing is, a team can have a successful season in college football without sniffing a national championship. For a team like mine (Iowa), winning 9 or 10 games and playing in a good bowl is nirvana. Once you get past the handful of powerhouse perennials, there's a ton of parity in that 2nd tier of power conference teams.

The NFL is completely "all or nothing" and despite all of the mechanisms in place to create parity, there really isn't any. It's just like college only on a much smaller scale with absolutely zero consolation for anyone other than the SB winner.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 06:19 PM
I don't want my kids to remember their dad sitting on the couch watching football in their prime years.

On the flip side, my dads passion for the Chiefs growing up in the 90's is what propelled me to become such a fan. It/football was something we bonded over moreso than any other thing in life, and that's still the truth to this day.

Remember my dad and I watching games as a kid as a highlight of my childhood memories.

Doesn't always have to be a bad thing man.

BryanBusby
06-14-2018, 06:26 PM
The thing is, a team can have a successful season in college football without sniffing a national championship. For a team like mine (Iowa), winning 9 or 10 games and playing in a good bowl is nirvana. Once you get past the handful of powerhouse perennials, there's a ton of parity in that 2nd tier of power conference teams.

The NFL is completely "all or nothing" and despite all of the mechanisms in place to create parity, there really isn't any. It's just like college only on a much smaller scale with absolutely zero consolation for anyone other than the SB winner.
Being content with mediocrity doesn't mean the NCAA isn't severely flawed.

Valiant
06-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Good luck.

I have done similar during the Cassel and Smith years.
I recorded the games. If they loss I deleted, if they won I fast forwarded.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Some of you guys talk about this as if it's a disease or getting over a drug addiction. The fact is, football is the greatest sport of all time (in my opinion). What is so wrong with enjoying and obsessing over the game? Why do we encourage backing away from it? If football is what makes you happy and something that is a part of your life then why are there so many people in here talking about taking "That step" Or "Big step" as if it's something that's wrong and that he needs to step away from.

Seriously asking because I don't understand. Not attacking.

eDave
06-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Some of you guys talk about this as if it's a disease or getting over a drug addiction. The fact is, football is the greatest sport of all time (in my opinion). What is so wrong with enjoying and obsessing over the game? Why do we encourage backing away from it? If football is what makes you happy and something that is a part of your life then why are there so many people in here talking about taking "That step" Or "Big step" as if it's something that's wrong and that he needs to step away from.

Seriously asking because I don't understand. Not attacking.

This. FB season is the best sports season. Love my Sunday's watching, listening, chatting. All day. I catch all three games and love highlights.

Perhaps some take it too seriously.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 06:43 PM
This. FB season is the best sports season. Love my Sunday's watching, listening, chatting. All day. I catch all three games and love highlights.

Perhaps some take it too seriously.

Same. It's 3-4 months out of the year, and once a week I spend an entire day geeking out and talking with friends about the games. I love it. Can't imagine wanting to step away from it.

To each their own of course, but the words of encouragement towards Nzoner has me so confused. It's like others feel the same way but can't bring themselves to do it themselves.

A lot of this thread reads like an alcohol/drug addiction thread.

Chief Roundup
06-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Good for you. There was a time I could tell you ever player on every roster and every coach and assistant coach on every team. It got to a point that it was so much of the entertainment in my life that I was missing out on so much. I have been watching just the Chiefs every week for over 8 years now. As the time has passed I have found more time to do other things that I enjoy very much. Ironically the game has gotten worse with each passing year.
Best of luck in all your new adventures!

notorious
06-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Same. It's 3-4 months out of the year, and once a week I spend an entire day geeking out and talking with friends about the games. I love it. Can't imagine wanting to step away from it.

To each their own of course, but the words of encouragement towards Nzoner has me so confused. It's like others feel the same way but can't bring themselves to do it themselves.

It's hard not to relate to him after watching countless ass-****ings that are brushed away like they never happened.

Eventually you will figure out that time spent with family is a thousand times more fulfilling than watching yet another ass-****ing, whether it's produced by the officials, NFL, or even our own inept franchise.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
It's hard not to relate to him after watching countless ass-****ings that are brushed away like they never happened.

Oh I can understand being discouraged after those types of things for sure.

It's not even his thing that I'm confused by now, it's just the reactions. I mean look at the response above yours. I don't understand the supportive nature that's being presented. I personally want everyone to be happy with whatever they choose in life, but to me, it sounds like Nzoner has spent a rather large portion of his life loving football. And not just the Chiefs. Football. What is so wrong with that that we need to send over our encouragement for the fact he's trying to step away from football?

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Eventually you will figure out that time spent with family is a thousand times more fulfilling than watching yet another ass-****ing, whether it's produced by the officials, NFL, or even our own inept franchise.

I guess that's my difference.

Football time IS my family time. It's what's always brought us together. Same with my friends. All of my friends I have are because of our connection with football. We talk about it all the time, and therefore have grown to know eachother in other ways during the off season. Football is my damn life. Whether the NFL is rigged or not is another story.

notorious
06-14-2018, 07:04 PM
I guess that's my difference.

Football time IS my family time. It's what's always brought us together. Whether the NFL is rigged or not is another story.

Do you have young children or are they grown up? That makes a big difference.

I have young children that don't care right now, so that it swaying my opinion. When they get older and start watching my opinion will change.

eDave
06-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Like you, I'm not putting anyone down for it. These dudes know their football to a passionate level. And to know about it like they do means you have an intense allegiance. Nzoner is just that guy.

It's like finally giving up on that chick who just wants to be friends.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Do you have young children or are they grown up? That makes a big difference.

I have young children that don't care right now, so that it swaying my opinion. When they get older and start watching my opinion will change.

Nope. No kids. I can definitely see that making an impact when that time comes. Especially early on.

I got into football heavily when I was about 5 or 6. At that age and from there on I was pretty much locked into anything and everything football. I remember my dad watching the game, and I'd run to my Sega Genesis and try to recreate the Elvis Grbac 504 yard passing game vs the Raiders.

Maybe once I do have a kid it'll be different, but it'll be different because I have a new real life responsibility which makes all the sense in the world.

But I've never once thought about holding any ill will towards my dad for wanting to watch every Chiefs game. That's the stuff that only helped me love it more.

KChiefs1
06-14-2018, 07:12 PM
On the flip side, my dads passion for the Chiefs growing up in the 90's is what propelled me to become such a fan. It/football was something we bonded over moreso than any other thing in life, and that's still the truth to this day.

Remember my dad and I watching games as a kid as a highlight of my childhood memories.

This is exactly my experience.

We lived on a farm & all 7 of us did chores together with my dad but the thing we still all talk about is spending Sunday afternoons together watching the Chiefs. Even today when we are apart we spend time on the phone talking during the games. I know some families who don't have some sorta connection. We have football.

I think it has made our family closer. But to each his own.

htismaqe
06-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Being content with mediocrity doesn't mean the NCAA isn't severely flawed.

10 wins and a conference championship isn’t mediocrity, it’s a success but in a relative sense. In college football, you can end the season with a win even if you aren’t #1. That gives fans hope, even if they know their team will realistically be as good as Alabama or Ohio State. College football can be fun even when your team isn’t the best. The NCAA isn’t perfect but it certainly doesn’t suck. It’s just different than the NFL, which is a good thing. The NFL is pretty boring anymore.

notorious
06-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Nope. No kids. I can definitely see that making an impact when that time comes. Especially early on.

I got into football heavily when I was about 5 or 6. At that age and from there on I was pretty much locked into anything and everything football. I remember my dad watching the game, and I'd run to my Sega Genesis and try to recreate the Elvis Grbac 504 yard passing game vs the Raiders.

Maybe once I do have a kid it'll be different, but it'll be different because I have a new real life responsibility which makes all the sense in the world.

But I've never once thought about holding any ill will towards my dad for wanting to watch every Chiefs game. That's the stuff that only helped me love it more.

Cool man.

I joke about blaming my father and brother for making me a Chiefs fan, but we've had good times together on Sunday.

Rain Man
06-14-2018, 07:15 PM
The next time we see Nzoner, he'll have 7% body fat and he'll be coming back from a mountaineering Expedition with his Playboy triplet girlfriends.

htismaqe
06-14-2018, 07:18 PM
Oh I can understand being discouraged after those types of things for sure.

It's not even his thing that I'm confused by now, it's just the reactions. I mean look at the response above yours. I don't understand the supportive nature that's being presented. I personally want everyone to be happy with whatever they choose in life, but to me, it sounds like Nzoner has spent a rather large portion of his life loving football. And not just the Chiefs. Football. What is so wrong with that that we need to send over our encouragement for the fact he's trying to step away from football?

I still love the game of football. I’ve just been a Chiefs fan for 30 years. At some point, it simply became prudent to obsess about something else. Especially since I have a wife and 2 girls, none of whom care about football at all and actually at times have resented that I wasn’t available for a few hours on Sunday afternoon.

Buehler445
06-14-2018, 07:22 PM

I see said the blind man. Shame on me for thinking that the NFL has any legitimate hardcore fans. You’re where I’ve been for awhile. Watch the Chiefs. Let the other shit go.

Buehler445
06-14-2018, 07:24 PM
I still love the game of football. I’ve just been a Chiefs fan for 30 years. At some point, it simply became prudent to obsess about something else. Especially since I have a wife and 2 girls, none of whom care about football at all and actually at times have resented that I wasn’t available for a few hours on Sunday afternoon.

Either way it’s good to see you around here. Stick around for the NFT threads anyway.

notorious
06-14-2018, 07:25 PM
I am going to treat the NFL like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy when my boys get older.

I am not going to point anything out, I will just let them enjoy it with the innocence I had at that age. Just let them enjoy it, and spend time with them watching.

Hell, even the impossible might happen and Mahomes becomes the golden boy of the NFL and the Chiefs get the nudges and benefits that come with it.

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Hell, even the impossible might happen and Mahomes becomes the golden boy of the NFL and the Chiefs get the nudges and benefits that come with it.

Exactly.

banecat
06-14-2018, 07:32 PM
10 wins and a conference championship isn’t mediocrity, it’s a success but in a relative sense. In college football, you can end the season with a win even if you aren’t #1. That gives fans hope, even if they know their team will realistically be as good as Alabama or Ohio State. College football can be fun even when your team isn’t the best. The NCAA isn’t perfect but it certainly doesn’t suck. It’s just different than the NFL, which is a good thing. The NFL is pretty boring anymore.

UCF National Champions

Buehler445
06-14-2018, 07:39 PM
A couple years ago I posted my position on football. The particulars have changed. I’m obviously thrilled we have Mahomes as opposed to smith but most of it still stands. There is no proof as of yet Brady, Rape etc won’t remain the golden boys of the NFL.

Fuck man. I don’t see how anyone over 30 could buy into what the NFL is selling

Wait. You said it was LeBatard. Where is the bullshit about the anthem/Kaepernick/BLM/racism schtick?

Really though, I don't give a fuck. I'll stay in purgatory after climbing out the depths of hell thanks to Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards and Scott Franchise Killer Pioli. Fuck man.

We aren't winning shit for awhile anyway. We don't consistently beat good teams so until we can do that, what's the fucking point of worrying about who is taking the snaps?

Between the Tire Fire days of Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards and Scott Franchise Killer Pioli, and then right the fuck after that the CTE bullshit starts and they pull half our starters out because of "concussions" when we are raping some fools in the playoffs, to Donks becoming cheap shot artists and Von Douche not getting fined for obviously teeing off on Smith. Late. With the Crown. Launching. While a week later Tampa gets one for a fat OL sitting on him. Then through the whole London home game crap. All the way through to the tampering shit, Sean Smiths ridiculous suspension. Then these motherfuckers like Richard Sherman says his knees hurt while I climb on the tractor with arthritis in my knees ankles and hands but don't happen to have any $20M checks laying around. I'm just fucking tired man. What the fuck am I rooting for? It used to be football. Now it's fucking asenine PR driven nonsense that has only an ancillary correlation to football.

Maybe I'm grumpy after working a billion hours to get $3 corn harvested and $2.80 wheat planted, but I'm fucking tired of fucking nonsense.

/rant

htismaqe
06-14-2018, 07:41 PM
I don’t see how anyone over 30 could buy into what the NFL is selling

Pretty much how I feel.

chuxtrux
06-14-2018, 08:00 PM
I always watch the Chiefs and will usually have the Sunday Night Football game on in the background that evening. I don't watch much TV outside of sports so I don't think I spend an unhealthy amount in front of the tube.

BWillie
06-14-2018, 09:42 PM
I hate going outside, especially on a Sunday after I've not slept much over the weekend. Watching Mahomes throw 80 yard bombs sounds just perfect to me.

06-14-2018, 10:06 PM
A couple years ago I posted my position on football. The particulars have changed. I’m obviously thrilled we have Mahomes as opposed to smith but most of it still stands. There is no proof as of yet Brady, Rape etc won’t remain the golden boys of the NFL.

Before long it will be rebranded NFLE

Why Not?
06-14-2018, 10:17 PM
I get both sides. I don't think Nzoner needs "support and encouragement" in the traditional sense of those words, but I do think it's cool when somebody recognizes something they want to change for the better in their life. Personally, I just enjoy the whole Sunday football experience(Chiefs, FFB, betting games)to ever see myself stepping away. My deal with my family(wife, 2 kids)is that I will do whatever they want every Sunday of the year save Sundays between the first weekend in September and the first weekend in February. Most of the rest of the days of the year I do what they want anyway. As some have mentioned, those Sundays are my time to chill and have a lot of banter with guys I just don't have that much time for the rest of the year.

SuperBowl4
06-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Is the NFL like a drug? It's hard to quit? NFL rehab?

Nzoner
06-14-2018, 10:38 PM

I have to do this because you nailed it,for me it's an addiction.Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but I'm now 55 years old and have gambled on sports for 30+ years and I'm calling bullshit.I follow vegas lines and over/unders like a hawk and this shit has gotten way out of control.
We now have concussion protocol and instant replay and yadda yadda yadda hell we now even have a former ref in the booth that is going to tell us why we should believe the call that is about to be made.
I just feel like I'm watching professional wrestling more times than not and am sick and ****ing tired of the BS.
Lastly and again sorry to be a downer,listen real close to the announcers on any game,watch the vegas spreads and then the outcomes.
I can't preach this shit if I'm not willing to step away and it breaks my heart because I LOVE sports

SuperBowl4
06-14-2018, 10:42 PM
I have to do this because you nailed it,for me it's an addiction.Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but I'm now 55 years old and have gambled on sports for 30+ years and I'm calling bullshit.I follow vegas lines and over/unders like a hawk and this shit has gotten way out of control.
We now have concussion protocol and instant replay and yadda yadda yadda hell we now even have a former ref in the booth that is going to tell us why we should believe the call that is about to be made.
I just feel like I'm watching professional wrestling more times than not and am sick and ****ing tired of the BS.
Lastly and again sorry to be a downer,listen real close to the announcers on any game,watch the vegas spreads and then the outcomes.
I can't preach this shit if I'm not willing to step away and it breaks my heart because I LOVE sportsYou believed in the dream for years. And then you woke up.

Miles
06-14-2018, 11:00 PM
I can't preach this shit if I'm not willing to step away and it breaks my heart because I LOVE sports

Like many on this thread I dialed it way back a few years ago when my longtime college decent money fantasy league fell apart from overexposure to the NFL and other more important stuff to do. Everything just feels way different about the league than even as recent as 10 years ago.

Think you will find watching just KC and parts of other games that seemed interesting vs deficating time to it refreshing like I have.

Miles
06-14-2018, 11:01 PM

I’m in the same place.

carcosa
06-14-2018, 11:42 PM
But... Mahomes??

This exact post!!!

KCrockaholic
06-14-2018, 11:58 PM

I totally getcha man.

I truly honestly feel like 100% of NCAA footall is legitimate and has no purposeful referee effectance (Yes a word I made up). NFL on the other hand I think we can all see the swaying and bias referees do when you watched enough it becomes too evident.

And to be honest with you sir, it appears that your issue has been gambling on the sport itself for fun and getting fucked over too many times? Don't know, just pondering. But how about just enjoying the sport as it is and for what it is and without any money being included.

Here's the truth. You love the sport of football. So look at it for what it is. A graceful, cerebral, elegant, tough, and exciting sport. Appreciate it for what it is. Go watch high school football on Fridays. Stuff like that. You love the sport, but you hate all the other antics that surround the NFL.

patteeu
06-15-2018, 03:53 AM
Some of you guys talk about this as if it's a disease or getting over a drug addiction. The fact is, football is the greatest sport of all time (in my opinion). What is so wrong with enjoying and obsessing over the game? Why do we encourage backing away from it? If football is what makes you happy and something that is a part of your life then why are there so many people in here talking about taking "That step" Or "Big step" as if it's something that’s wrong and that he needs to step away from

Sounds like the rationalizations of a junkie.

Reerun_KC
06-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Cut nflst when Hearn was hired. Haven’t looked back....

Watch or listen to only chiefs games....

HemiEd
06-15-2018, 06:43 AM
I can't preach this shit if I'm not willing to step away and it breaks my heart because I LOVE sports:clap:

Mile High Mania
06-15-2018, 07:47 AM

True... we watch Denver games. We’re just not sucked into a football weekend every weekend.

luv
06-15-2018, 08:07 AM
I totally getcha man.

I truly honestly feel like 100% of NCAA footall is legitimate and has no purposeful referee effectance (Yes a word I made up). NFL on the other hand I think we can all see the swaying and bias referees do when you watched enough it becomes too evident.

And to be honest with you sir, it appears that your issue has been gambling on the sport itself for fun and getting ****ed over too many times? Don't know, just pondering. But how about just enjoying the sport as it is and for what it is and without any money being included.

Here's the truth. You love the sport of football. So look at it for what it is. A graceful, cerebral, elegant, tough, and exciting sport. Appreciate it for what it is. Go watch high school football on Fridays. Stuff like that. You love the sport, but you hate all the other antics that surround the NFL.

My boyfriend is working on quitting smoking. In order to help himself do that, he has also cut back on things like drinking beer. The desire to have a cigarette while enjoying a beer is just too overwhelming for him. Me? I've never been addicted to smoking, so I have no problem enjoying a beer for what it's worth.

In this situation, Joe's gambling is the cigarettes and watching football is having a beer. In order to quit one, he needs to cut back on the other. Doesn't mean he doesn't still love football.

KCrockaholic
06-15-2018, 08:15 AM
My boyfriend is working on quitting smoking. In order to help himself do that, he has also cut back on things like drinking beer. The desire to have a cigarette while enjoying a beer is just too overwhelming for him. Me? I've never been addicted to smoking, so I have no problem enjoying a beer for what it's worth.

In this situation, Joe's gambling is the cigarettes and watching football is having a beer. In order to quit one, he needs to cut back on the other. Doesn't mean he doesn't still love football.

Dammit Luv always says things that make sense.

luv
06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Dammit Luv always says things that make sense.

Eh. Sometimes, at least. ;)

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Eh, not really.

I was referring to how college football has a diverse collection of offenses and defenses compared to the NFL. On any given Saturday, I can watch Army run the triple option, the spread and the air raid.

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-15-2018, 09:14 AM

I am an Army football fan. Last year, we won 10 games. It was amazing to watch and appreciate. I know that we are never going to win another Championship but the seasons are still exciting and thrilling.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Zoners posts over the years caused me to look closer into point spreads and the like. The game is absolutely 100% influenced by outside forces not always on the field. It isn't necessarily rigged, but the results are absolutely steered towards a certain result. No doubt in my mind.

htismaqe
06-15-2018, 10:08 AM

This is a pretty insightful post here.

I still love the game of football. I watch FCS ball when I can and attend the local HS games. I watch my college team if they’re on TV (I don’t have cable).

I’m just exhausted after 30 years of failure with the Chiefs and when you combine that with the product the NFL is pushing nowadays, I’m just not all that into it.

displacedinMN
06-15-2018, 10:21 AM

I believe it all.

Dayze
06-15-2018, 10:58 AM
as if the NFL /TV broadcasts hadn't already driven me away, what did it for me was the Chiefs v Texans game, and the ab-so-lutely ridiculous coverage of JJ Watt backstage, er....in the tunnel.
I can't remember if they had a overhead blimp shot / helicopter shot following the ambulance or not.

It looked liked something you'd see on WWE. I just sat there thinking "this is so retarded".

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-15-2018, 12:32 PM
as if the NFL /TV broadcasts hadn't already driven me away, what did it for me was the Chiefs v Texans game, and the ab-so-lutely ridiculous coverage of JJ Watt backstage, er....in the tunnel.
I can't remember if they had a overhead blimp shot / helicopter shot following the ambulance or not.

It looked liked something you'd see on WWE. I just sat there thinking "this is so retarded".

I just have to say your avatar gets me every time. ROFL

But seriously, the Watt saga has become annoying.

notorious
06-15-2018, 12:34 PM
You are right, Dayze, in the Game thread people were joking they were going to helicopter cam as Twatt is taken to the hospital.

Well, it ended up happening.. :facepalm:

BryanBusby
06-15-2018, 01:10 PM
I was referring to how college football has a diverse collection of offenses and defenses compared to the NFL. On any given Saturday, I can watch Army run the triple option, the spread and the air raid.
Man are you in luck this fall. You can tune in to watch the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes skullfuck the Raiders by running a pro version of the air raid.

Pablo
06-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Man are you in luck this fall. You can tune in to watch the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes skullfuck the Raiders by running a pro version of the air raid.Yeah, but you could watch Army play 1930's football too! Don't forget about that option.

Flying High D
06-15-2018, 03:18 PM
This will give you more time to poop.

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but you could watch Army play 1930's football too! Don't forget about that option.

The triple option didn't start until the 1960s.

rocknrolla
06-15-2018, 05:31 PM
**** man. I don’t see how anyone over 30 could buy into what the NFL is selling[/QUOTE]

This! I have not watched a full NFL game, besides the Chiefs in probably 3 years. Haven't gone out of my way to watch the Chiefs for a while. This year will be different of the latter.

06-15-2018, 10:03 PM
This! I have not watched a full NFL game, besides the Chiefs in probably 3 years. Haven't gone out of my way to watch the Chiefs for a while. This year will be different of the latter.

I rarely ever watch the other games. One game per week and thats the Chiefs.

TinyEvel
06-16-2018, 12:14 AM
The NFL version of a "Leaving Chiefs Plant Forever" thread.

Willie Lanier
06-16-2018, 01:52 AM

I hear the CFL and WNBA are gaining serious traction...

Flying High D
06-16-2018, 04:35 AM
Join the National Guard, you’ll miss more than your share of any games you ever wanted to watch. You’ll also be doing it for national security. Win Win and getting paid. Triple winner!!!!

Coogs
06-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Zoners posts over the years caused me to look closer into point spreads and the like. The game is absolutely 100% influenced by outside forces not always on the field. It isn't necessarily rigged, but the results are absolutely steered towards a certain result. No doubt in my mind.

Seems to me this would be good if you were a gambler. If you can figure out what the certain result the game is going to be absolutely steered towards, there is some serious coin that could be made.

Nzoner
06-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Seems to me this would be good if you were a gambler. If you can figure out what the certain result the game is going to be absolutely steered towards, there is some serious coin that could be made.

Not that this proves a damn thing but in March of 2015 I bet $20 on the Broncos to win the Super Bowl at 10/1 odds.My only reasoning was that Manning had just announced he was retiring at seasons end and I thought there was no way in hell he was leaving without another ring.Again it proves absolutely nothing but there was some interesting things that happened that year.My only regret was not putting at least a hundy on those odds.

Nzoner
07-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Another month closer and no shakes yet :D

SuperBowl4
07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Another month closer and no shakes yet :DBut you are thinking about it

Rausch
07-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Another month closer and no shakes yet :D

You waited until we finally got a QB to do this?

Eh, no worries, it just takes 1 playoff win to load up the wagon...:)