PDA

View Full Version : Life RIP Vinnie Paul

Third Eye
06-22-2018, 11:29 PM
I’m sure there’s a few old Pantera fans here. Sad. Too young at 54. For those not familiar, former drummer for Pantera, went on to play with Damageplan and Hellyeah. You may recall his brother, former Pantera and Damageplan guitarist, who was killed onstage while playing back in 2004.

Here’s a link if you’re interested:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/8462386/vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah

Fish
06-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Damn. RIP.

KCrockaholic
06-22-2018, 11:54 PM
Thank you for posting this! Yes, R.I.P. been grieving and jamming to some Pantera ever since I heard the news. I feel so horrible for his family and friends. I know my man Chad Grey looked at him as an idol and I can’t imagine how torn up he is right now. Ughhhh! It sucks! I’ve shed a couple tears for this one.

Everyone order a Black tooth grin at the bar tomorrow in honor.

The video of Sebastian Bach’s reaction is heartbreaking. (Skid Row lead singer)

Naptown Chief
06-23-2018, 12:16 AM
This sucks. RIP

Miles
06-23-2018, 12:23 AM
This sucks. Pantera was one of my favorites growing up and was fortunate enough to see them live.

DaNewGuy
06-23-2018, 12:34 AM
Dude has one of the most reconizable drum sounds ever. RIP Vinny

Third Eye
06-23-2018, 12:34 AM
This sucks. Pantera was one of my favorites growing up and was fortunate enough to see them live.

Yeah, saw them a number of times in my formative years. Those Memorial Hall shows were legendary.

PunkinDrublic
06-23-2018, 01:15 AM
Not a big metal head but I couldn’t believe it when I first saw him out and about in Dallas in Deep Ellum. After awhile it was quite normal to see him out at one of the rock clubs and bars. Real down to earth guy. Nobody had a bad word to say about him. RIP.

SPchief
06-23-2018, 01:22 AM
Not a fan of Pantera, but HellYeah put out good music. Sad

banecat
06-23-2018, 02:33 AM
Damn. Only 54. But he probably lived a full life

lawrenceRaider
06-23-2018, 06:13 AM
Damn. RIP

lewdog
06-23-2018, 07:29 AM
In before CP determines this band sucks ass.

LoneWolf
06-23-2018, 07:36 AM
So did he Kate Spade himself or what?

alpha_omega
06-23-2018, 07:38 AM
RIP

lewdog
06-23-2018, 07:55 AM

You’ll know he did when all the “Christians” come in to call him a piece of shit.

Only other Christians can judge me!!! /King James bible verse

LoneWolf
06-23-2018, 08:00 AM
You’ll know he did when all the “Christians” come in to call him a piece of shit.

Yeah, the Kate Spade thread is full of those posts.

Strongside
06-23-2018, 08:24 AM
Damn, this one stings. Almost as bad as dimebag. Pantera got me through a lot of shit in my younger days. RIP.

dj56dt58
06-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Me and my wife made a trip to Dallas a few years ago and met him at a club..real cool dude didn’t mind people walking over to him and talking to him at all

Pablo
06-23-2018, 08:36 AM

better not have or sky daddy is gonna be pissed!

RIP guy

Sofa King
06-23-2018, 09:00 AM
I passed up an opportunity to see Hell Yeah one due to something stupid. What a mistake.

KCUnited
06-23-2018, 09:30 AM
It's only fitting to tribute fallen Pantera members with the great debate:

Vulgar Display vs Far Beyond Driven

Who wins?

KCrockaholic
06-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Who wins?

Tough call, but Cowboys from Hell should be in the discussion as well if we’re debating best album.

KCUnited
06-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Tough call, but Cowboys from Hell should be in the discussion as well if we’re debating best album.

Eh, I enjoy CFH, but VDoP and FBD are brothers and CFH is like a cousin. I don't remember CFH getting jammed, or debated as best, in the mid-90s nearly as much as the other 2. At least within my small midwest sample size.

Third Eye
06-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Who wins?

Yeah, that’s impossible for me. I was 15 when Vulgar dropped and those subsequent tours were the first heavy shows and pits that I went to, so it holds a certain nostalgic place with me. In 2018 though, if I’m throwing in some Pantera, probably 75% of the time it is Far Beyond Driven. Use my Third Arm is one of my all time favorites across all bands/genres.

KCrockaholic
06-23-2018, 09:45 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uONdVy8FVEM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Always loved this video of Vinnie.

KCUnited
06-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that’s impossible for me. I was 15 when Vulgar dropped and those subsequent tours were the first heavy shows and pits that I went to, so it holds a certain nostalgic place with me. In 2018 though, if I’m throwing in some Pantera, probably 75% of the time it is Far Beyond Driven. Use my Third Arm is one of my all time favorites across all bands/genres.

I really need to revisit FBD, it's been years since I've played it. I'm with you on the nostalgia of VDoP though. I saw that tour at Sandstone while still in high school and it was my first exposure to a big, outdoor metal show.

Lzen
06-24-2018, 09:47 AM

What is it with all the Christian bashing lately? Is this the new thing?

For the record, I'm a Christian and I will never call Vinnie a POS, even if comes out that he killed himself.

A sad day, indeed. Loved Pantera and I've even gotten into Hell yeah they past couple years. Damageplan was good but it just wasn't quite as good as Pantera. The metal world lost a great one.

Lzen
06-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Far Beyond Driven is easily my favorite Pantera album.

SAUTO
06-24-2018, 09:52 AM
I saw, megadeath, pantera , and white zombie at sandstone when i was young

Great times

Lzen
06-24-2018, 09:53 AM
I passed up an opportunity to see Hell Yeah one due to something stupid. What a mistake.

I saw them at Rocklahoma in 2014. They were fantastic! Phil Anselmo was there, too, with his band, Down.
My only regret is never seeing Pantera live.

kcxiv
06-24-2018, 05:45 PM

For the record, I'm a Christian and I will never call Vinnie a POS, even if comes out that he killed himself.

A sad day, indeed. Loved Pantera and I've even gotten into Hell yeah they past couple years. Damageplan was good but it just wasn't quite as good as Pantera. The metal world lost a great one.

Same here, we dont know what people are going through or how their brains operate or if they have disorders none of us know about. We dont know, but people love to judge others for some reason like their own shit dont stink!

Anyways, years ago when i was a kid, my buddy Joe (lives in KC now btw) invited me to go see Pantera in Concert Was either in the Bay Area or Sacramento (its been a long ****ing time) I was like naw, im good, that stuff is to wild for me! lol (i had barely gotten into metal type of music) Anyways, after the concert he came back with a black eye, he's like i took an elbow to the face in the pit! lol I regret not going!

Flying High D
06-24-2018, 05:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uONdVy8FVEM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Always loved this video of Vinnie.

I don’t want to I judge. But, I was wondering if there is a correlation between buying $999.92 worth of Jagermeister in a liquor store and end up dying at 54 years of age? Also, in the video they mentioned the abuse they were going to do to their livers. Sometime in life you have to realize it’s time to grow up and take accountability for yourself. But, what do I know i’m Just a dumbass.

rabblerouser
06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Not a fan of Pantera, but HellYeah put out good music. Sad

Pantera's music was so good, it trancends the genre of thrash or metal. Total groove

Christian Pantera fan here. Sad that Big Vin is gone.

Don't understand your logic.

Let's celebrate good memories of the man, and leave politics and religion out of it.Yeah, saw them a number of times in my formative years. Those Memorial Hall shows were legendary.

Let's see, I remember a show with Crowbar opening, then one with Type O Negative opening, then maybe EyeHateGod opened an outdoor show somewhere?

Also, I remember seeing Pantera open for Megadeth on a bill that included White Zombie...

Eh, I enjoy CFH, but VDoP and FBD are brothers and CFH is like a cousin. I don't remember CFH getting jammed, or debated as best, in the mid-90s nearly as much as the other 2. At least within my small midwest sample size.

CFH wasn't as full on BRICK TO THE JAW like Vulgar and FBD were, but for my $$, their best album, song for song, may be The Great Southern Trendkill. I don't even listen to metal music anymore, but GST still KILLS. As do the others, but that solo on 'Floods'..."Drag the Waters"...the Suicide Notes...
I saw, megadeath, pantera , and white zombie at sandstone when i was young

Great times
There it is.
Yeah, it's totally a thing, even though the people who do it claim it isn't...

The metal world lost a great one.

Indeed.

Chief Northman
06-24-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks for de-railing. Prayers sent.

PunkinDrublic
06-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Me and my wife made a trip to Dallas a few years ago and met him at a club..real cool dude didn’t mind people walking over to him and talking to him at all

He really was the most accessible celebrity I’ve ever seen. A ton of my friends back in Dallas posted up pictures on FB of themselves randomly running into Vinnie Paul and taking a group shot.

KCrockaholic
06-24-2018, 09:48 PM
I don’t want to I judge. But, I was wondering if there is a correlation between buying $999.92 worth of Jagermeister in a liquor store and end up dying at 54 years of age? Also, in the video they mentioned the abuse they were going to do to their livers. Sometime in life you have to realize it’s time to grow up and take accountability for yourself. But, what do I know i’m Just a dumbass.

I’m sure that had a lot to do with it. He lived life hard and was in a constant state of partying. He died young, but I’d say to him it was a high quality life that he’d be very happy to look back on. In a way, Vinnie wouldn’t have been Vinnie if not for his alcoholic ways.

tatorhog
06-25-2018, 08:34 AM
98.9 was talking about him this morning. I had always heard that Vinny was a very down to earth guy and cool to all his fans, but I had no idea. After hearing some of the sound bites they played and stories they shared, he was genuinely a good dude. He had his vices, but ultimately the world needs more guys like that, not less.

DaNewGuy
06-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Just watched Pantera live In Moscow 91, so damn good