PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Headed to Dallas. Looking for the best brisket.

tooge
07-05-2018, 01:40 PM
So I'm headed to Dallas in a week or so. I'm going to be there long enough to try out a couple of places. While we here in KC rule the rib world IMO, I'm told Texas is the king of the brisket. What Y'ALL got for bbq restaurant picks? If you have some other great restaurant thats not bbq, I'll take that too.

Simply Red
07-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Whataburger!

banecat
07-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Whataburger!

This may be right. But I hear that In N Out's good too

Strongside
07-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Have an office in the DFW area. Have done a ton of bbq down there. If you can't make it to Franklin BBQ in Austin, the best BBQ in Texas, in my humble opinion, is Cattleack BBQ in Dallas. It's phenomenal crispy bark Texas BBQ.

http://www.cattleackbbq.com/media/

Another great option is Heim in FTW if you make it out there at all. They have bacon-wrapped burnt ends. Enough said.

http://heimbbq.com/

loochy
07-05-2018, 02:08 PM
All of it is good. Just eat some.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
07-05-2018, 02:10 PM
The top 10 winners in the category Best BBQ Brisket Sandwich in Texas are as follows:

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que - Llano
Joseph's Riverport Bar-B-Que - Jefferson
Hutchins BBQ - McKinney
Heim Barbecue - Fort Worth
Hays County Barbeque Restaurant - San Marcos
Salt Lick BBQ - Driftwood
Luling City Market - Luling
Kreuz Market - Lockhart & Bryan
Killen's Barbecue - Pearland
Cousin's Bar-B-Q - Fort Worth
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.

https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-bbq-brisket-in-texas/

Fish
07-05-2018, 02:11 PM
The brisket list appears at the back of the Texas Monthly/Yeti “passport” to barbecue joints, a promotional insert in hard copies of the magazine.

Top 10 brisket joints

—2M Smokehouse, San Antonio
—Bodacious Bar-B-Q, Longview
—Cattleack Barbeque, Dallas
—Corkscrew BBQ, Spring
—Evie Mae’s Pit Barbeque, Wolfforth
—Franklin Barbecue, Austin
—Freedmen’s, Austin
—La Barbecue, Austin
—Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
—Truth Barbeque, Brenham

https://texasbbqposse.com/2017/05/top-10-brisket-joints-texas-monthly.html

Boiled Chicken
07-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Pecan Lodge ... decent pie place next door also

BIG_DADDY
07-05-2018, 02:27 PM
The brisket list appears at the back of the Texas Monthly/Yeti “passport” to barbecue joints, a promotional insert in hard copies of the magazine.

Top 10 brisket joints

—Corkscrew BBQ, Spring
—Freedmen’s, Austin
—La Barbecue, Austin
—Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
—Truth Barbeque, Brenham

One more reason to move to Austin like I needed one.

loochy
07-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Hey wanna get together and make out when you come to town?
Posted via Mobile Device

Why Not?
07-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Eat wherever you want but heed this advice, don't carjack any moms with toddlers in the car

gblowfish
07-05-2018, 02:53 PM
I've heard of Franklin and Salt Lick. Ask a local when you get down there.

tooge
07-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Whataburger!

Well, duh

tooge
07-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Hey wanna get together and choke out when you come to town?
Posted via Mobile Device

FYP

loochy
07-05-2018, 03:04 PM
FYP

yes

do you like saran mummy wrapping?

srvy
07-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Rudy's in Austin its very good without the 4 hour waiting line at Franklins.
https://rudysbbq.com/

Mueller’s Taylor, Texas
https://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

Green Mesquite bbq I went to one in Round Rock. I know your after brisket but get a side wings trust me.
http://www.greenmesquite.net/

Snows bbq Lexington Tx. They can sell out so early is best.
https://snowsbbq.com/

This a a few I have tried in Texas that I liked the brisket. Dont do any of the joints in airport you will just be disappointed.

http://www.greenmesquite.net/

loochy
07-05-2018, 03:06 PM
He said Dallas

He's not going to drive 3.5 hours to Austin for mediocre BBQ
Posted via Mobile Device

srvy
07-05-2018, 03:15 PM
He said Dallas

He's not going to drive 3.5 hours to Austin for mediocre BBQ
Posted via Mobile Device

Its all mediocre in Texas he is from KC.

loochy
07-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Its all mediocre in Texas he is from KC.

But you listed Rudy's in Austin....there's a Rudy's in Denton, Arlington, and North Fort Worth.
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
07-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Only when I'm in Cali

Simply Red
07-05-2018, 03:52 PM
yes

do you like saran mummy wrapping?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Acjf66Qdj2U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ping2000
07-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Drive past Dallas and go to Austin.

AndChiefs
07-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Top 10 brisket joints

—Corkscrew BBQ, Spring
—Freedmen’s, Austin
—La Barbecue, Austin
—Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
—Truth Barbeque, Brenham

If you ever get down to Houston area, Corkscrew BBQ is incredible.

KCUnited
07-05-2018, 04:27 PM
If you ever find yourself out near the Korean peninsula, try the short ribs at Jung Joo's.

lawrenceRaider
07-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Pecan Lodge ... decent pie place next door also

Lived down there over 6 years, and this is the right answer for best. Tough to get in though. If you want outstanding brisket, and a shorter line, go to Slow Bone. They have fantastic sides as well. The difference in the meat is negligible. Lockharts in Bishops Arts district is great as well.

vailpass
07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
I really like the brisket you can get at the HEB. I always thought it was so cool you could pick up a tasty fully cooked brisket at the grocery store.

GloucesterChief
07-05-2018, 06:19 PM

If you are in Houston skip the BBQ and do the Vietnamese and Creole. Also the original Ninfas.

srvy
07-05-2018, 07:00 PM
But you listed Rudy's in Austin....there's a Rudy's in Denton, Arlington, and North Fort Worth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because I have eaten there those other no. All on my list I have ate at the specific location.

srvy
07-05-2018, 07:03 PM

I have ate there and about all around Houston that I know of. We have an office there that work out of occasionally.

BryanBusby
07-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Franklin's is the place to go, but fuck be prepared to wait in shit balls Texas heat.

AndChiefs
07-05-2018, 08:27 PM
If you are in Houston skip the BBQ and do the Vietnamese and Creole. Also the original Ninfas.

As long as you’re in the right part of town, sure.

Bearcat
07-05-2018, 08:38 PM
If you ever find yourself out near the Korean peninsula, try the short ribs at Jung Joo's.

LMAO

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-05-2018, 08:55 PM
BBQ sucks. Ok maybe at least average food, but certainly not worth the smoky farts

PunkinDrublic
07-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum or Lockhart’s in Bishop Arts. I know you’re going to Texas and want some Texas style barbecue, but 18th and Vine is a KC style BBQ joint in Dallas run by a guy from Kansas City and it actually got voted one of the best barbecue places in the city.

Deberg_1990
07-05-2018, 09:24 PM

Top 10 brisket joints

—Corkscrew BBQ, Spring
—Freedmen’s, Austin
—La Barbecue, Austin
—Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
—Truth Barbeque, Brenham

Stiles Switch BBQ in Austin is pretty awesome too.

dilligaf
07-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum or Lockhart’s in Bishop Arts. I know you’re going to Texas and want some Texas style barbecue, but 18th and Vine is a KC style BBQ joint in Dallas run by a guy from Kansas City and it actually got voted one of the best barbecue places in the city.

We ate at Lockharts when we went to the Chiefs-Cowboys game last year. Phenomenal food!

TimBone
07-06-2018, 12:25 AM
Pecan Lodge and Lockharts are correct answers. Rudy's is fast food bbq. You can rest assured that anybody who recommends Rudy's doesn't know bbq.

PunkinDrublic
07-06-2018, 01:00 AM
Deep Ellum is a really cool neighborhood and it’s been revitalized a lot but if you go there at night take an Uber and be careful. A lot of the parking lots aren’t very well lit and Deep Ellum is an area that attracts a lot of panhandlers and sketchy characters. As long as you don’t get drunk and wander around you should be fine.

I would go to Bishop Arts in Oak Cliff where Lockhart’s is for Mexican and other food options. Plus it’s a really cool historic neighborhood. You can visit the boardinghouse Lee Harvey Oswald was living in and the Texas theater where he was captured in is still there.

I was living in North Oak Cliff before I came hear to work in China and I loved it.

rabblerouser
07-06-2018, 04:13 AM
Have an office in the DFW area. Have done a ton of bbq down there. If you can't make it to Franklin BBQ in Austin, the best BBQ in Texas, in my humble opinion, is Cattleack BBQ in Dallas. It's phenomenal crispy bark Texas BBQ.

Another great option is Heim in FTW if you make it out there at all. They have bacon-wrapped burnt ends. Enough said.

Black's BBQ in Lockhart is better than all.

Archie F. Swin
07-06-2018, 04:58 AM
what the actual fuck ?!

Texas is the size of France and has nearly 30 million documented citizens. I'd rather you blow mesquite smoke up my ass than try to tell me this state has a top 10 BBQ list.....AND THEN to suggest many of them are in FUCKING AUSTIN!!!!!

two words: GET FUKT!!

You're bound to find some legit 'Cue' in Dallas but in my humble opinion, Fort Worth is a more representative Texas City....at least they have fucking cattle in the city limits.

But please don't tell me that the best BBQ Texas has to offer is limited to its biggest cities....maybe most expensive BBQ....but not best.

I've been to at least two restaurants in Wichita Falls where diners are actually wearing spurs on their REAL cowboy boots. FUCKING SPURS!

Now that's TEXAS

YEE HAW Mutherfukcers!!

Miles
07-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Black's BBQ in Lockhart is better than all.

I was very disappointed in Black’s and the other Lockhart places. Old school atmosphere and walking through the smokehouse was cool but the bbq didn’t hold up to the newer good places.

Miles
07-06-2018, 05:04 AM

Cattleack is probably the best DFW brisket but check their hours and prepare for a possibly long line. Pecan Lodge is also up there but feel it’s dropped a little bit over the years and can be a little inconsistent. Hutchins is also great if you are in the northern suburbs. I’ve only tried the McKinney location but they have another in Frisco.

LOCOChief
07-06-2018, 05:17 AM
Franklins, hands down

Miles
07-06-2018, 05:17 AM
For those more used to KC brisket just a heads up that you may want to specify lean. For some reason many down here like the fatty side of the brisket referred to as moist.

Dallas Chief
07-06-2018, 05:30 AM
Stay far away from any Rudy’s. Complete garbage.

Never met anyone who didn’t love Feedstore BBQ in Southlake. Look it up. Probably your safest choice for BBQ in the area. People have this idea that Texas is a great place to get BBQ. In general, it’s really not. I’ve had better BBQ in many other places than TX. Florida being the only place I’ve had worse BBQ than TX. Good luck!

Ps- Hi Archie!

SuperBowl4
07-06-2018, 05:47 AM
Jerry Jones's Meat Lounge in Arlington

Flying High D
07-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Dickey’s

dallaschiefsfan
07-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Drive to Fort Worth. Seriously. I'm sure Dallas has decent offerings, but like everything in Dallas, they overprice and under-deliver (although I HAVE heard good things about the 18th and Vine KC joint).

As of the last few years, the correct answer is Heim Barbecue (http://heimbbq.com/). I've never met anyone disappointed with Heim.

Don't send people to Rudy's. That's the McDonald's of Texas barbecue. It's fine. But not worth sampling for Texas Brisket.

I have no idea who makes those "lists", but that's a fruitless venture. It's better to do what you're doing - ask those who actually live here.

And Austin? Go to Austin if you want street tacos. Otherwise, there is nothing special about Austin except for the music scene.

lawrenceRaider
07-06-2018, 08:25 AM
what the actual **** ?!

Texas is the size of France and has nearly 30 million documented citizens. I'd rather you blow mesquite smoke up my ass than try to tell me this state has a top 10 BBQ list.....AND THEN to suggest many of them are in ****ING AUSTIN!!!!!

You're bound to find some legit 'Cue' in Dallas but in my humble opinion, Fort Worth is a more representative Texas City....at least they have ****ing cattle in the city limits.

But please don't tell me that the best BBQ Texas has to offer is limited to its biggest cities....maybe most expensive BBQ....but not best.

I've been to at least two restaurants in Wichita Falls where diners are actually wearing spurs on their REAL cowboy boots. ****ING SPURS!

Now that's TEXAS

YEE HAW Mutherfukcers!!

Fort Worth is an amazing city with great bars, restaurants, and breweries. We lived in Arlington during our time in Texas. I worked in Dallas and got to try a ton of great food on vendors dimes, but the wife and I hung out in Fort Worth on the weekends when we went out. Arlington had lagged behind quite a lot until right before we moved back up to Kansas. It is now exploding with breweries and good food joints. Hell, the whole DFW area took a huge leap forward on the food and beer side while we lived there.

PunkinDrublic
07-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Fort Worth is an amazing city with great bars, restaurants, and breweries. We lived in Arlington during our time in Texas. I worked in Dallas and got to try a ton of great food on vendors dimes, but the wife and I hung out in Fort Worth on the weekends when we went out. Arlington had lagged behind quite a lot until right before we moved back up to Kansas. It is now exploding with breweries and good food joints. Hell, the whole DFW area took a huge leap forward on the food and beer side while we lived there.

I seriously love Arlington. The white trash awesomeness of Arlington was always a welcome escape from the pretentiousness of Dallas. Great dive bars, loose women and real salt of the earth people.

loochy
07-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Deep Ellum is a really cool neighborhood and it’s been revitalized a lot but if you go there at night take an Uber and be careful. A lot of the parking lots aren’t very well lit and Deep Ellum is an area that attracts a lot of panhandlers and sketchy characters. As long as you don’t get drunk and wander around you should be fine.

I would go to Bishop Arts in Oak Cliff where Lockhart’s is for Mexican and other food options. Plus it’s a really cool historic neighborhood. You can visit the boardinghouse Lee Harvey Oswald was living in and the Texas theater where he was captured in is still there.

I was living in North Oak Cliff before I came hear to work in China and I loved it.

Oak Cliff yeah das mah hood!
yeah put it in his face yeah get dat sheeit undastood!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HFcneB0EVRM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
07-06-2018, 11:25 AM
what the actual fuck ?!

Texas is the size of France and has nearly 30 million documented citizens. I'd rather you blow mesquite smoke up my ass than try to tell me this state has a top 10 BBQ list.....AND THEN to suggest many of them are in FUCKING AUSTIN!!!!!

You're bound to find some legit 'Cue' in Dallas but in my humble opinion, Fort Worth is a more representative Texas City....at least they have fucking cattle in the city limits.

I've been to at least two restaurants in Wichita Falls where diners are actually wearing spurs on their REAL cowboy boots. FUCKING SPURS!

Now that's TEXAS

YEE HAW Mutherfukcers!!

Big city BBQ is clearly the best! Not even close!

https://media.tenor.com/images/705422e9454790dd1d2ce5dc66ed2786/tenor.gif

banecat
07-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Dickey’s

Are they worth a damn? I've been noticing them popping up all over the place in the last couple of years now

AndChiefs
07-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Stay far away from any Rudy’s. Complete garbage.

Never met anyone who didn’t love Feedstore BBQ in Southlake. Look it up. Probably your safest choice for BBQ in the area. People have this idea that Texas is a great place to get BBQ. In general, it’s really not. I’ve had better BBQ in many other places than TX. Florida being the only place I’ve had worse BBQ than TX. Good luck!

Ps- Hi Archie!

True. Most of the bbq down here is mediocre at best.

loochy
07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Are they worth a damn? I've been noticing them popping up all over the place in the last couple of years now

It's fine. They're all fine. The people that say "oh that place is shit" are full of shit themselves. Some places are slightly better than others. This happens in every food thread and it's annoying as hell.

banecat
07-06-2018, 07:13 PM
It's fine. They're all fine. The people that say "oh that place is shit" are full of shit themselves. Some places are slightly better than others. This happens in every food thread and it's annoying as hell.

I noticed they had hot links in the deli section at the store. I bought a pack. They're not bad. I'm sure that the fresh order at one of their locations is better. Food's like sex. There's serviceable, and then there's good

loochy
07-06-2018, 07:32 PM
I noticed they had hot links in the deli section at the store. I bought a pack. They're not bad. I'm sure that the fresh order at one of their locations is better. Food's like sex. There's serviceable, and then there's good

That is a reasonable and respectable synopsis.

tooge
07-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Well, if we have the time we will check out Pecan Lodge, Franklin’s, or Heims. Thanks for the great dialog. CP never disappoints

lawrenceRaider
07-07-2018, 05:26 AM

Dickies is like McDonald's. Never all that bad, but also never all that good. You know what you'll get every time you walk in the door.

lewdog
07-07-2018, 11:22 AM
OP.

You putting all other little league dads in Dallas on stand-bye that your ass has arrived?!?!

WhiteWhale
07-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Bah... Texas BBQ....

banecat
07-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Bah... Texas BBQ....

Ha. Pretty much. "We don't need no sauce for our meat. The meat should be good enough on it's own. There's hot sauce on the table if ya do want to have some on it."

Miles
07-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Ha. Pretty much. "We don't need no sauce for our meat. The meat should be good enough on it's own. There's hot sauce on the table if ya do want to have some on it."

That BS is mostly the old school central TX places like those in Lockhart which I’ve also found found to be so mediocre they could certainly use some sauce.

banecat
07-07-2018, 01:07 PM
That BS is mostly the old school central TX places like those in Lockhart which I’ve also found found to be so mediocre they could certainly use some sauce.

Agreed. I'd rather have it on the side for dipping. But none at all or only hot sauce was ridiculous. I tried about seven or eight places in the Houston area

I only liked Rudy's because I could get their meat on a baked potato. I lucked out and found a decent place in between Houton and Galveston, Brown Sugar's I think that it was called. There was some place just north of the island and it's sauce was I'm pretty sure tomato sauce or paste with a little grease and meat chunks mixed together not very well

I even found a place that had all ya could eat ribs. But they weren't good, and they started the one slab for the first plate, and three small ribs on a smaller plate after that. The places that had sauces weren't that great when I could find them. I had to use the hot sauced bbq sauce after trying the house flavor. I don't mind using the hot, but it wasn't a choice at most places down there

Otter
07-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Well, if we have the time we will check out Pecan Lodge, Franklin’s, or Heims. Thanks for the great dialog. CP never disappoints

Leaving MO for TX in search of good BBQ? :hmmm:

threebag
07-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Dickies

LMAO

Bob Dole
07-07-2018, 02:24 PM
True. Most of the bbq down here is mediocre at best.

The Rudy’s in south Tyler used to be pretty good.

lawrenceRaider
07-07-2018, 03:19 PM
You are 100% doing it wrong if you are eating pork of any variety at a Texas bbq joint. Beef is the only way to go.

lawrenceRaider
07-07-2018, 03:20 PM
The Rudy’s in south Tyler used to be pretty good.

Rudy's is a better version of Dickies, fast food bbq.

Miles
07-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Agreed. I'd rather have it on the side for dipping. But none at all or only hot sauce was ridiculous. I tried about seven or eight places in the Houston area

I only liked Rudy's because I could get their meat on a baked potato. I lucked out and found a decent place in between Houton and Galveston, Brown Sugar's I think that it was called. There was some place just north of the island and it's sauce was I'm pretty sure tomato sauce or paste with a little grease and meat chunks mixed together not very well

I even found a place that had all ya could eat ribs. But they weren't good, and they started the one slab for the first plate, and three small ribs on a smaller plate after that. The places that had sauces weren't that great when I could find them. I had to use the hot sauced bbq sauce after trying the house flavor. I don't mind using the hot, but it wasn't a choice at most places down there

Corkscrew up in Spring is pretty great. Also like Killens bait can be a bit of a drive depending where you are.

loochy
07-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Dickies

LMAO

:shrug: Dickeys tastes fine.

banecat
07-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Corkscrew up in Spring is pretty great. Also like Killens bait can be a bit of a drive depending where you are.

I'll have to check it out if I make it back there. I was over an hour away from there between the loop and the island. The only reason that I kept trying to give Papa's and Rudy's a chance

Flying High D
07-07-2018, 10:28 PM
:shrug: Dickeys tastes fine.

I think I would enjoy anything that comes from a place called Dickey’s.

tooge
07-08-2018, 12:37 AM
OP.

You putting all other little league dads in Dallas on stand-bye that your ass has arrived?!?!

Fuck to the yeah I have! Lol

Bob Dole
07-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Rudy's is a better version of Dickies, fast food bbq.

It beats the hell out of McDonalds when you’re on the road. We have one good local place, and one that went to shit when they started adding locations. Surprisingly, Texas Best at our new truck stop is pretty good. If I’m in town in the morning, which is rare, their brisket breakfast burrito is a good buy.

loochy
07-08-2018, 09:12 PM
I think I would enjoy anything that comes from a place called Dickey’s.

Sometimes it's a little salty, but it's great once you get it in your mouth with sauce