PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN: NFL's best and worst offensive arsenals: 32-1 weapons ranking

jaa1025
07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24045670/ranking-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-weapons-2018/BB)

1. Kansas City Chiefs
This has been building one year at a time for the Chiefs, who were relying on players such as Charcandrick West and Jason Avant as meaningful weapons during their playoff run in 2015. It starts with Travis Kelce, who is the consensus second-best tight end in the league behind Gronkowski. In 2016, the Chiefs added Tyreek Hill, who graduated from his gadget return man role as a rookie into a real-deal wideout last season by posting a 75-1,183-7 line. Andy Reid & Co. drafted Kareem Hunt last season, and the running back produced 1,782 yards from scrimmage as a rookie, which was the 10th-best mark for a debuting runner in league history. The Chiefs likely will give him snaps off more frequently with the return of Spencer Ware, but Hunt already is one of the league's best backs.

It's hard to find a team that can say it's paying its fourth-best weapon $16 million per year, and, in part, that's because the Chiefs probably overpaid Sammy Watkins. If we ignore the money and the hype surrounding Watkins coming out of Clemson, it's accurate enough to say that Patrick Mahomes' fourth-best weapon is a 25-year-old guy who averaged just over 80 receiving yards per game in 2015 and turned nine red zone targets into seven touchdowns last season. The upside for Watkins is still as a legitimate No. 1 receiver in an offense that already has two of them.

While we can never truly know whether a young quarterback would develop into a star in any situation, it's hard to imagine what else Patrick Mahomes could ask for than Reid as a coach and this bevy of talent as targets. Every team is susceptible to injuries, and Mahomes will have growing pains, but no offense has as much upside across the board at the skill-position spots as these Chiefs.

Chief_For_Life58
07-11-2018, 10:06 AM
erection

ModSocks
07-11-2018, 10:13 AM
This guys gets it.

The Franchise
07-11-2018, 10:14 AM
I can picture all of the Steelers fans crying into their terrible towels as they read this article.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2018, 10:53 AM
A lot of delusional fucks in Pile High thinking KC takes a step back as well.

displacedinMN
07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Can the O line support this article?

Marcellus
07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/7mI0mLnprQCOs/giphy.gif

Marcellus
07-11-2018, 11:03 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/I7mHOFnVJGSeA/giphy.gif

TimBone
07-11-2018, 11:07 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180711/8f34fb35acaca872e0e8b653ed5dc494.gif

TimBone
07-11-2018, 11:07 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180711/8db038ff654aad177289215d342cbcfd.gif

pugsnotdrugs19
07-11-2018, 11:30 AM
17 days fuckers.

Kiimo
07-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Why did ESPN get rid of the comments?

I was looking forward to eviscerating Steeler fans. Maybe I'll just post my argument here and people can pass it around?

IowaHawkeyeChief
07-11-2018, 11:32 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/I7mHOFnVJGSeA/giphy.gif

:LOL:

Eleazar
07-11-2018, 11:57 AM
The table is all set for Mahomes, we'll just have to see if we can find any way to protect him, and if we'll ever have a defense again.

BleedingRed
07-11-2018, 12:02 PM
The table is all set for Mahomes, we'll just have to see if we can find any way to protect him, and if we'll ever have a defense again.

I got a idea.............

Stay with me here.............

Instead of double clutching like Alex Smith, throw the fucking ball to were only the receiver has a chance on your 3 step HITCH.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
07-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Instead of double clutching like Alex Smith, throw the ****ing ball to were only the receiver has a chance on your 3 step HITCH.

By George, I think you're onto something there!:thumb:

Eleazar
07-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Instead of double clutching like Alex Smith, throw the ****ing ball to were only the receiver has a chance on your 3 step HITCH.

Yes, I know, our team with a bottom of the league defense would be shelving it's 3rd straight Lombardi, but Alex Smiff

stumppy
07-11-2018, 12:17 PM
22. Denver Broncos
With the Broncos investing $25 million guaranteed in new quarterback Case Keenum and trading for new right tackle Jared Veldheer, general manager John Elway was forced to pinch pennies elsewhere on offense. It was no surprise that the Broncos moved on from C.J. Anderson, although the move turns things over to a combination of ineffective veteran Devontae Booker and rookie Royce Freeman. Denver never really addressed tight end, so they'll hope that redshirt rookie Jake Butt can serve as a receiving threat from Day 1. The Broncos used a second-round pick on Cody Latimer in 2014 and a third-round pick last year on Carlos Henderson, but Latimer never broke out before leaving this offseason and Henderson might be on the roster bubble after missing his entire rookie season with a finger injury, leading to the selection of Courtland Sutton with the 40th overall pick. The Broncos will spend another year depending on Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, both of whom are now on the wrong side of 30.

ROFL

displacedinMN
07-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Instead of double clutching like Alex Smith, throw the fucking ball to were only the receiver has a chance on your 3 step HITCH.

sarcasm font "Why would he want to do that?" /sarcasm font

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Yes, I know, our team with a bottom of the league defense would be shelving it's 3rd straight Lombardi, but Alex Smiff

This isn't a bottom tier defense, dumbass

Marcellus
07-11-2018, 12:45 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/bJDl7wyNH6eVq/giphy.gif

Marcellus
07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/7uIkyxOV6DjMc/giphy.gif

pugsnotdrugs19
07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Jesus.

Rain Man
07-11-2018, 12:54 PM
22. Denver Broncos
With the Broncos investing $25 million guaranteed in new quarterback Case Keenum and trading for new right tackle Jared Veldheer, general manager John Elway was forced to pinch pennies elsewhere on offense. It was no surprise that the Broncos moved on from C.J. Anderson, although the move turns things over to a combination of ineffective veteran Devontae Booker and rookie Royce Freeman. Denver never really addressed tight end, so they'll hope that redshirt rookie Jake Butt can serve as a receiving threat from Day 1. The Broncos used a second-round pick on Cody Latimer in 2014 and a third-round pick last year on Carlos Henderson, but Latimer never broke out before leaving this offseason and Henderson might be on the roster bubble after missing his entire rookie season with a finger injury, leading to the selection of Courtland Sutton with the 40th overall pick. The Broncos will spend another year depending on Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, both of whom are now on the wrong side of 30.

ROFL

So in other words, they have a rookie wide receiver on offense that they hope can carry the team.

Skyy God
07-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Stop, I can only get so erect.gif

Kiimo
07-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Pittsburgh only had 40 more yards on offense than us last year and we added Mahomes, Spencer Ware and Sammy Watkins.

Randallflagg
07-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Bingo! :thumb:

Eleazar
07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
This isn't a bottom tier defense, dumbass

Really?

Because in the world where I live the defense was #29 against the pass, #25 against the run, and lost their best player in the offseason.

jaa1025
07-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Really?

Because in the world where I live the defense was #29 against the pass, #25 against the run, and lost their best player in the offseason.

1) Peters wasn't their best player on defense. He played like crap at times last year. Even at top form, he's behind Houston, Berry and potentially Jones. One could argue that some of the defensive issues was because Peters refused to tackle citing a career choice, IE, he didnt want to get hurt before a potential big contract.

2) The Chiefs overhauled their defense. Berry will be back. OLB, opposite of Houston will be better, whether that comes from a healed Dee Ford, Speaks or Kpassagnon.

3) Ragland started looking pretty damn good at ILB last year. The Chiefs also got Anthony Hitchens, who will be a large upgrade to Derrick Johnson who looked like he was running in quick sand last year.

4) As a group, the CB position will be better. Peters is gone, but he was also the only CB on the roster worth a spot. Fuller's potential is Peters but even if he's not as good, Amerson is a large upgrade over what we had. Plus, Veach apparently thinks he's found two hidden gems in his stable of young CB's.

5) Safety will be a LOT better as well. They will be adding an All Pro back in Berry. They also added Golden, who is under the radar for depth. I'm very high on Watts to take the FS position sometime during the year.

6) Upgraded the NT position with Xavier Williams and Derrick Nnadi, who has elite run stopping potential.

Now, this defense is not likely top 10 but they could end up top 15-20.

Flying High D
07-11-2018, 02:04 PM

That would just be stupid. What the hell are you thinking? We are not going to waste the prime years of our no. 1 overall pick left tackle by not double pumpkining. Did you not learn from what Cleveland did to Joe Thomas? The audacity of some posters never ceases to amaze me.

scho63
07-11-2018, 02:13 PM
https://i.gifer.com/61tp.gif

Molitoth
07-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Good lord, I bet that dong has it's own soul.

Flying High D
07-11-2018, 02:27 PM
^ I wonder if he would do it with Kathy Bates?

Strongside
07-11-2018, 03:10 PM
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/JnMw4PjeX3jzy" width="480" height="398" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/public-JnMw4PjeX3jzy">via GIPHY</a></p>

CupidStunt
07-11-2018, 03:27 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/VPV0CVtbU6ZKU/giphy.gif

RINGLEADER
07-11-2018, 04:25 PM
The national press doesn’t seem to get that:

- The Chiefs weren’t going anywhere with Alex Smith at QB

- Mahomes may have more INTs, but he will have many more TDs than Alex ever had

Simply Red
07-11-2018, 04:37 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/2nc46m9.jpg

Ming the Merciless
07-11-2018, 04:44 PM
https://lolsnaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/125518.gifhttps://imgix.bustle.com/lovelace/uploads/944/6a5df4f0-f031-0132-f0c7-0ed54733f8f5.gif?fm=mp4

HemiEd
07-11-2018, 05:00 PM

ROFLROFL

Garcia Bronco
07-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Hey man you guys are off-season Super Bowl champs every year

Flying High D
07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
You got that right and don’t forget it. You heard it here first.

Marcellus
07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

No shit thats why we have to take advantage while we can. :thumb:

ChiliConCarnage
07-11-2018, 06:52 PM
I doubt anyone would call that a stretch. Our position skill starters seem pretty loaded

Chiefs Moon
07-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Mitch Morse needs to be healthy. Cam Erving is not Zack Fulton.

Chief Pagan
07-11-2018, 07:22 PM
^ I wonder if he would do it with primate Kathy Bates?

FYP

jjchieffan
07-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Hey man you guys are worlds biggest cheaters every year!

Flying High D
07-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Fussy britches time for rest and get recharged.

T-post Tom
07-11-2018, 09:42 PM
How many points will the Chiefs put up on the Steelers? I predict 42. Call me crazy, but I think Andy is going to pull out all the stops against the Steelers. Long live preseason boners.

CoMoChief
07-11-2018, 11:46 PM
I dunno about #1. On paper it looks good, bet the team will kick a lot of ass on offense in Madden.

But #1 with a 1st yr starter at QB? That's an awfully big claim to make.

ChiefAshhole1056
07-12-2018, 12:55 AM
I dunno about #1. On paper it looks good, bet the team will kick a lot of ass on offense in Madden.

The article is speaking specifically to the amount of talent at the playmaking positions. KC is absolutely the most talented team in the league at those spots.

Lzen
07-12-2018, 07:21 AM

CoMo didn't read the article. Or if he did read it, he didn't comprehend it.

Eleazar
07-12-2018, 07:53 AM
1) Peters wasn't their best player on defense. He played like crap at times last year. Even at top form, he's behind Houston, Berry and potentially Jones. One could argue that some of the defensive issues was because Peters refused to tackle citing a career choice, IE, he didnt want to get hurt before a potential big contract.

You can't claim the defense is going to be better because it's returning players who also played on the defense over the last 3 years, when it's been terrible. Those are not upgrades. That's the #28 (or whatever) defense just treading water.

They lost their MVP in Marcus Peters, one of the NFL's best corners.

Houston hasn't been an elite player for 3-4 years now even when he gets on the field.

Berry, while an impact player when healthy, will be turning turn 30 this season, and he was not able to will bad defenses into the middle third in the previous two years he was able to play. He's a nice player to have but his return isn't going to turn the defense around. That only gets us back to the (also awful) 2016 defense.

Claiming that the defense will be better because it will return some of its better players, now a few more years older, from years past when the unit was embarrassingly bad is a circular argument.

2) The Chiefs overhauled their defense. Berry will be back. OLB, opposite of Houston will be better, whether that comes from a healed Dee Ford, Speaks or Kpassagnon.

This argument rests on untested players and never-weres panning out, which the odds are always against in the NFL.

3) Ragland started looking pretty damn good at ILB last year. The Chiefs also got Anthony Hitchens, who will be a large upgrade to Derrick Johnson who looked like he was running in quick sand last year.

Ragland was on the defense last year when it was terrible.

Hitchens got over $20 million fully guaranteed on a speculative deal. While it will help if it can reduce Sorensen's snaps or those going to the other empty jerseys that played in dime packages last year, he was still a veteran player who wasn't good enough to hold off emerging rookies in Dallas.

4) As a group, the CB position will be better. Peters is gone, but he was also the only CB on the roster worth a spot. Fuller's potential is Peters but even if he's not as good, Amerson is a large upgrade over what we had. Plus, Veach apparently thinks he's found two hidden gems in his stable of young CB's.

Fuller's potential is not Peters, and shuffling JAGs in the secondary is not going to take the defense out of the doldrums.

Veach may have found two undiscovered elite players, but the odds are always against any young player panning out.

This whole argument that the defense is massively upgraded and anyone can see it all relies on a string of unlikely things playing out, aging veterans all returning to their elite form of years past, and everyone staying healthy this time, which never happens.

5) Safety will be a LOT better as well. They will be adding an All Pro back in Berry. They also added Golden, who is under the radar for depth. I'm very high on Watts to take the FS position sometime during the year.

Nobodies/depth players are not on the field on key downs. Sure, it will be nice to have a warm body this time if Berry gets injured again, but in reality if that happens we're hosed at the position anyway.

6) Upgraded the NT position with Xavier Williams and Derrick Nnadi, who has elite run stopping potential.

Now, this defense is not likely top 10 but they could end up top 15-20.

Hooray, we're aspiring to improve from #28 to #20. Print 'em

Mile High Mania
07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
A lot of delusional ****s in Pile High thinking KC takes a step back as well.

I haven't been one of those guys... I'm actually a bit excited to see what he can do. Lots of weapons on that offense, so regardless of fan affilliation, if you love big time offense - I think you're going to enjoy KC's offense.

Eleazar
07-12-2018, 08:25 AM
I haven't been one of those guys... I'm actually a bit excited to see what he can do. Lots of weapons on that offense, so regardless of fan affilliation, if you love big time offense - I think you're going to enjoy KC's offense.

Yeah - there's plenty of optimism about the offense and justifiably so - a lot has happened on that side of the ball that genuinely does qualify as an upgrade.

But I think we were all around for the Vermeil teams.

The Chiefs will be a lot more fun to watch this year but talk of a deep playoff run needs to be put off until they might be able to stop a legitimate playoff team on defense.

Halfcan
07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
You can't claim the defense is going to be better because it's returning players who also played on the defense over the last 3 years, when it's been terrible. Those are not upgrades. That's the #28 (or whatever) defense just treading water.

They lost their MVP in Marcus Peters, one of the NFL's best corners.

Houston hasn't been an elite player for 3-4 years now even when he gets on the field.

Berry, while an impact player when healthy, will be turning turn 30 this season, and he was not able to will bad defenses into the middle third in the previous two years he was able to play. He's a nice player to have but his return isn't going to turn the defense around. That only gets us back to the (also awful) 2016 defense.

Claiming that the defense will be better because it will return some of its better players, now a few more years older, from years past when the unit was embarrassingly bad is a circular argument.

This argument rests on untested players and never-weres panning out, which the odds are always against in the NFL.

Ragland was on the defense last year when it was terrible.

Hitchens got over $20 million fully guaranteed on a speculative deal. While it will help if it can reduce Sorensen's snaps or those going to the other empty jerseys that played in dime packages last year, he was still a veteran player who wasn't good enough to hold off emerging rookies in Dallas.

Fuller's potential is not Peters, and shuffling JAGs in the secondary is not going to take the defense out of the doldrums.

Veach may have found two undiscovered elite players, but the odds are always against any young player panning out.

This whole argument that the defense is massively upgraded and anyone can see it all relies on a string of unlikely things playing out, aging veterans all returning to their elite form of years past, and everyone staying healthy this time, which never happens.

Nobodies/depth players are not on the field on key downs. Sure, it will be nice to have a warm body this time if Berry gets injured again, but in reality if that happens we're hosed at the position anyway.

Hooray, we're aspiring to improve from #28 to #20. Print 'em

So basically every move Veech made is a reach at best- we are doomed to suck on defense? :rolleyes:

We did not LOSE Peters- we shipped him out of here. Your assessment of Peters being our MVP is complete hyperbole and does not even come close to what Andy, Sutton, and the front office thought about this locker room cancer.

Most of what you said- could also apply to Every team in the NFL. Vets are a year older with no guarantee they will play the same or stay healthy. Defenses are loaded with "unproven players" - (It is called the NFL draft) that they hope will step in. You are right about the Chiefs defense being terrible and needing a complete overhaul.

To completely assume it will suck again is just looking at it with a jaded point of view. We got younger, faster and more aggressive on defense and dumped our non-tackling CB and replaced him one that is a Team Player. All great moves in the right direction.

Marcellus
07-12-2018, 09:03 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/WI4dxbzOe2bx6/giphy.gif

pugsnotdrugs19
07-12-2018, 09:11 AM
How many points will the Chiefs put up on the Steelers? I predict 42. Call me crazy, but I think Andy is going to pull out all the stops against the Steelers. Long live preseason boners.

Mahomes will help against teams like that I believe, where we clearly haven’t been the aggressors in previous games against.

RunKC
07-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Nate Taylor made a good article about Demarcus Robinson. I was hard on him for his drops week 17, but he didn’t practice with Mahomes for 4 months bc Pat was respectful and worked with the practice squad.

I think he can be a nice Albert Wilson replacement.

This really is the best receiving corps we’ve ever had.

Buckweath
07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Some Chiefs fans will be pleasantly surprised by the defense. I guess that's a good thing for them.

If Veach added a good cornerback, I would call this defense a potential top 10 D.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Nate Taylor made a good article about Demarcus Robinson. I was hard on him for his drops week 17, but he didn’t practice with Mahomes for 4 months bc Pat was respectful and worked with the practice squad.

I think he can be a nice Albert Wilson replacement.

This really is the best receiving corps we’ve ever had.

Taylor also said on 810 that Conley is undervalued because he knows the offense so well. He said that Alex told him that having Conley out there made it much easier to adjust certain things like Kelce’s motions and route adjustments.

Should be a camp battle.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-12-2018, 10:47 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/WI4dxbzOe2bx6/giphy.gif

There you go again mocking our veterans and national anthem. Disgusting.

BlackOp
07-12-2018, 10:53 AM
People bag on Dorsey...but he assembled the #1 ranked weapons (per ESPN) only using 3rd (2) and 5th round picks.

That's pretty incredible....

Halfcan
07-12-2018, 11:59 AM
It starts with Travis Kelce, who is the consensus second-best tight end in the league behind Gronkowski

Gronk has missed 10 games in the last 2 years. Kelce has missed one and has put up better stats the last two years. If Kelce has a better year, hopefully, the "consensus" will stop saying Kelce is second best.

ModSocks
07-12-2018, 12:01 PM
People bag on Dorsey...but he assembled the #1 ranked weapons (per ESPN) only using 3rd (2) and 5th round picks.

That's pretty incredible....

People who bag on Dorsey aren't thinking clearly.

ModSocks
07-12-2018, 12:03 PM
It starts with Travis Kelce, who is the consensus second-best tight end in the league behind Gronkowski

Gronk has missed 10 games in the last 2 years. Kelce has missed one and has put up better stats the last two years. If Kelce has a better year, hopefully, the "consensus" will stop saying Kelce is second best.

The consensus is fucking retarded. I don't know who this "consensus" consists of, but they're fucking morons.

Gronk is held together by duct tape and isn't as athletic as Kelce, nor has he produced as well in recent years.

Kelce IS the #1 TE in the league. These foo's need to show some 'spect.

carcosa
07-12-2018, 12:05 PM
I have a big horney boner about it

OKchiefs
07-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Dorsey is responsible for the shit defense, so there are plenty of reasons to bag on him.

Buckweath
07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Big fan of Dorsey here. He was outstanding at drafting.

O.city
07-12-2018, 01:37 PM
The consensus is ****ing retarded. I don't know who this "consensus" consists of, but they're ****ing morons.

Gronk is held together by duct tape and isn't as athletic as Kelce, nor has he produced as well in recent years.

Eh, I dunno about the isn't athletic as Kelce part. When Gronk is healthy, he's a fucking animal. All around, just badass.

Problem is he's banged up a lot.

Plus he has the GOAT throwing him the ball.

CupidStunt
07-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Meanwhile in Denver.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cEOG7nGA7448M/giphy.gif

pugsnotdrugs19
07-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Can’t wait to watch Keenum revert to his mediocre (at best) play now that he isn’t playing with a much better team...

Strongside
07-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Seems like everyone is excited about this development. Aroused, even.

Rain Man
07-12-2018, 03:57 PM
The consensus is ****ing retarded. I don't know who this "consensus" consists of, but they're ****ing morons.

Maybe one of the voters is that guy that Gronkowski hit in the back of the head, and he can't remember who to vote for.

Tombstone RJ
07-12-2018, 04:17 PM
It’s probably Kelce’s douchey personality that holds him back from being #1 TE?

Jerm
07-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Colin Cowherd (I know I know) did his top 10 list in the same vein today...no KC in the top 10. Had the Cowboys, Chargers, Rams, and Packers in it though.

Ok......

http://replygif.net/i/633.gif

ModSocks
07-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Everyone be patient. If Mahomes is what we think he is, these niggas gonna be lip locked on the Chiefs cock for the next 15+ years.

Kiimo
07-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Cowherd does like...zero research. See: Baker Mayfield interview

big nasty kcnut
07-14-2018, 12:10 PM
https://lolsnaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/125518.gifhttps://imgix.bustle.com/lovelace/uploads/944/6a5df4f0-f031-0132-f0c7-0ed54733f8f5.gif?fm=mp4

Me when i see hunt and ware in the backfield this year!

Eleazar
07-14-2018, 12:44 PM
So basically every move Veech made is a reach at best- we are doomed to suck on defense? :rolleyes:

Didn't say that. I said that on defense we subtracted our best player and the personnel adds we've made are speculative.

Saying the defense has the potential to take a step forward after lying dead on the bottom of the sea for about 3 years now would be reasonable. Saying it's definitely better and only an idiot doesn't think it's a top unit now is not reasonable.

We did not LOSE Peters- we shipped him out of here. Your assessment of Peters being our MVP is complete hyperbole and does not even come close to what Andy, Sutton, and the front office thought about this locker room cancer.

Peters was on the team and now he's not. The defense's best player is gone. That's what a loss is.

Your idea that he wasn't the defense's MVP is homeristic nonsense. Peters is one the league's best cover corners. Peters accounted for 11 of the team's 26 takeaways last year - he had 5 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries. No one else was even close in production, and that's just on turnovers. It doesn't even count what Peters brought by causing QBs not to throw his way or by dictating to the offense in ways Fuller is not going to be able to do right away, if ever.

No argument can be made for anyone else being the defensive MVP last year.

Peters had more turnovers than Houston had sacks. Jones had fewer sacks than Houston, and had exactly one multi-sack game.

You can call him a locker room cancer and he definitely was one, but no one can argue that he wasn't the highest performer on the defense last year or that we have done anything that will replace that production.

Most of what you said- could also apply to Every team in the NFL. Vets are a year older with no guarantee they will play the same or stay healthy. Defenses are loaded with "unproven players" - (It is called the NFL draft) that they hope will step in. You are right about the Chiefs defense being terrible and needing a complete overhaul.

To completely assume it will suck again is just looking at it with a jaded point of view. We got younger, faster and more aggressive on defense and dumped our non-tackling CB and replaced him one that is a Team Player. All great moves in the right direction.

I'm not making any assumptions. What I said is true of every team. The odds are against ALL rookies. They are also against all veteran players who are over 30 maintaining their form, against those who are recovering from major injuries later in their career, against journeyman players suddenly becoming difference makers, or rookies in the secondary becoming impact players immediately.

All those things apply to every team. The hopes and dreams of Chiefs fans that this is a great unit are all hung on 6 or 7 guys who are coin flips at best all coming up heads.

And even then, this was a bottom of the league defense last year. Even if Veach can see the future and had a perfect draft and a perfect score in free agency, it's going to take more than one year to overhaul this mess.

I am optimistic on the whole, but expressing any reservation that this team became an instant contender by shipping Peters out and adding some rookies causes your head to be bitten off by the more ardent homers.

It's still Reid, Sutton, and most of the same personnel, minus their MVP. They are going to have to go out there and prove it if they are going to be some kind of worst to first unit as the homers suggest.