PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs It's hard to be a knowledgable NFL Fan

MahiMike
07-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Do you ever get tired of trying to argue your football takes to ill-informed fans?

Do you find yourself raising your voice only to stop talking completely?

Do you cherish the knowledge that ChiefsPlanet has bestowed upon you?

So I'm driving for Uber last night here in Jax and the guys ask me who my team is. I tell them the Chiefs of course and go on to explain how we ranked #1 in offensive weapons, etc.

Dude says, "Yeah but that Mahomes guy is a big question mark."

I tell him, "Jags screwed up by getting Leonard Fournette instead of Mahomes."

"What!? No Way! Fournette and Bortles are awesome! I can't think of a QB I'd like better than Bortles.", he says.

He actually said that. I stopped talking then, hoping for a $2 tip still.

Oh well. Guess we'll have to let Pat do the talking for us this year. Can't wait.

Spott
07-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Meh, Jacksonville isn’t exactly the knowledge center of the world.

What’s it like driving for him Uber here? I keep getting emails from Lyft trying to get me to be a driver for them.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Let the man be. He is a Jaguars fans. Don't deny him the little happiness he has.

Baby Lee
07-14-2018, 01:45 PM
https://i0.wp.com/i.imgur.com/zERiqEY.gif?w=720&ssl=1

Molitoth
07-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Do you ever get tired of trying to argue your football takes to ill-informed fans?

So I'm driving for Uber last night here in Jax and the guys ask me who my team is. I tell them the Chiefs of course and go on to explain how we ranked #1 in offensive weapons, etc.

"What!? No Way! Fournette and Bortles are awesome! I can't think of a QB I'd like better than Bortles.", he says.

Oh well. Guess we'll have to let Pat do the talking for us this year. Can't wait.

Wait, I thought you were a huge Alex Smith fan?

yeti
07-14-2018, 01:53 PM
I have to listen to and be accepting and nice in responding to many of my patients stupid football takes while at work. I enjoy discussing football with a handful of knowledgeable ones. If they bring up a football topic and haven't outed themselves as having a low football IQ yet I send out a feeler statement to confirm. When a low football IQ is confirmed, I just politely try to change the conversation.

Perineum Ripper
07-14-2018, 02:01 PM
https://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/jaguars-fan-cant-believe-it-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

RealSNR
07-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Bortles still has a chance to be an okay starting QB, but his ceiling is going to be Alex Smith, where if he gets good enough at knowing EXACTLY what he can get away with without the potential for making a bad mistake, he'll be fine. That's just going to come through experience and comfort, so I think perhaps his new extension might be all the confidence he needs to really take control of his own career.

However, he's going to have to work hard at throwing tighter mid-range throws. Even when he makes good choices, there are still way too many times when a random throw sails on him. It's a problem he's had going back to college (still remember 4 or 5 jaw-droppingly bad throws during UCF's Fiesta Bowl). I don't know how successful he can be at that in this stage of his career.

He's definitely at a crossroads. Incremental improvement might get him to Alex Smith. Stagnancy in where he currently is as a pro will turn him into another Rex Grossman.

In any case, Jags fans sure are an interesting bunch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/glCRe7cSqhw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dj56dt58
07-14-2018, 02:39 PM
At least his team made the championship game in the last 2 decades guess he can say anything he wants

Rain Man
07-14-2018, 02:52 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l59ItK6d-wQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN
07-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Everytime I talk to a Packer fan.

And all of the stuff on The Good Place about the Jags is priceless.

Red Dawg
07-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Skill players are not worth first round picks so I would agree. RBs are a dime a dozen and so are WRs. QB, DL, OL and DB are first rounders only.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-14-2018, 03:17 PM
This is why I primarily to stick to CP for football related discussion

TimBone
07-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Well, technically, he's not wrong about Mahomes. He's definitely still a question mark.

I know we here at Chiefsplanet have already fitted him for his Hall of Fame jacket, but he's only started a single game.

TONS of potential, but the questions of him living up to that potential are definitely still there.

As for the Bortles comment.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180714/a2a4b9a0e8a4a9948ed1c6967570854e.gif

Bewbies
07-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Let's be honest. I like Mahomes the best of the 3, but if the 3 QB's drafted last year continue to impress (I know, Watson and Mahomes are way ahead of Trub) a lot of teams are going to look dumb for passing.

I still think none look dumber than Buffalo though. LMAO

pugsnotdrugs19
07-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Let's be honest. I like Mahomes the best of the 3, but if the 3 QB's drafted last year continue to impress (I know, Watson and Mahomes are way ahead of Trub) a lot of teams are going to look dumb for passing.

Josh Allen was a terrible prospect in my eyes and I firmly believe that will hold up in the league. They did at least get a really good corner out of the deal though it would seem.

Bewbies
07-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Josh Allen was a terrible prospect in my eyes and I firmly believe that will hold up in the league. They did at least get a really good corner out of the deal though it would seem.

I'll take the superior QB over any other list of perks one could gain in making a draft day trade.

ChiliConCarnage
07-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Most of that seems pretty normal. Except the Bortles part, if that's exactly what he said it's crazy talk.

MMXcalibur
07-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Ever listen to callers on NFL Radio?
It’s cringeworthy on how incoherent most are on their takes, and the takes that you can make sense of are homer-inspired drivel.

I would argue that the NFL has the dumbest fans of the four leagues.
The only smart ones are here on ChiefsPlanet.

MahiMike
07-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Bortles still has a chance to be an okay starting QB, but his ceiling is going to be Alex Smith, where if he gets good enough at knowing EXACTLY what he can get away with without the potential for making a bad mistake, he'll be fine. That's just going to come through experience and comfort, so I think perhaps his new extension might be all the confidence he needs to really take control of his own career.

However, he's going to have to work hard at throwing tighter mid-range throws. Even when he makes good choices, there are still way too many times when a random throw sails on him. It's a problem he's had going back to college (still remember 4 or 5 jaw-droppingly bad throws during UCF's Fiesta Bowl). I don't know how successful he can be at that in this stage of his career.

He's definitely at a crossroads. Incremental improvement might get him to Alex Smith. Stagnancy in where he currently is as a pro will turn him into another Rex Grossman.

In any case, Jags fans sure are an interesting bunch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/glCRe7cSqhw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All you have to do is watch the wildcard game against the bills to determine bortles' talent. Couldn't complete a 5 yard pass.

CasselGotPeedOn
07-14-2018, 04:20 PM

What are you talking about? Buffalo got Josh "Better version of Patrick Mahomes" Allen

jjchieffan
07-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Ever listen to callers on NFL Radio?
It’s cringeworthy on how incoherent most are on their takes, and the takes that you can make sense of are homer-inspired drivel.

I would argue that the NFL has the dumbest fans of the four leagues.
The only smart ones are here on ChiefsPlanet.

You should be more specific. Yes there are some knowledgeable posters on here, but we also have our share of football morons. SDH, Como, Pablo,, just off the top of my head are light-years more stupid than the casual fan.

Chief Roundup
07-14-2018, 05:00 PM
I stopped talking then, hoping for a $2 tip still.

Your fandom is easily squashed.

NJChiefsFan
07-14-2018, 09:53 PM
When I was in college I would get so stoked seeing a Chiefs fan in NJ. Now I tread lightly because I have yet to meet one that was really into the team. After 2 minutes I usually realize they don't know that much. Have a student who's dad is a Chiefs fan. Same thing.

I always seem way more interested in running into them than they are to see me. Eventually I will take the hint the world is giving me.

Strongside
07-14-2018, 09:56 PM
It’s kind of like politics and religion. If I know someone is I’ll-informed...aka a dumbass...I pretty much avoid talking sports with them.

KChiefs1
07-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Buffalo will be kicking themselves for years.

KChiefs1
07-14-2018, 09:57 PM
What are you talking about? Buffalo got Josh "Better version of Patrick Mahomes" Allen

You are a buttfucking moron too.

jdubya
07-14-2018, 10:06 PM
I don`t see what`s wrong. Mahomes has proved nothing yet so everything is opinion. Let`s just see how things play out

BryanBusby
07-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Lmao Blake Bortles

GloucesterChief
07-14-2018, 10:23 PM
You are a butt****ing moron too.

Poe's law.

Eleazar
07-14-2018, 10:24 PM
It would be fun to kick them around if they didn't have two more recent playoff wins than us.

Buehler445
07-14-2018, 10:51 PM
It’s kind of like politics and religion. If I know someone is I’ll-informed...aka a dumbass...I pretty much avoid talking sports with them.

This. I stick to what they’re good at.

SuperBowl4
07-15-2018, 12:48 AM
I don't really try to force my views on anyone. It's just a game for entertainment purposes only.

Flying High D
07-15-2018, 07:54 AM
I never understood why someone would want to talk football when they don’t know crap about it. Then I figured it out, they don’t know that don’t know crap about football. They think they do. They don’t know know what they don’t know.

Spott
07-15-2018, 08:55 AM
It's hard to be a knowledgable NFL Fan

It's hard to be knowledgeable nowadays.

Rain Man
07-15-2018, 09:08 AM
My main reason for using uber was to avoid the social pressure of tipping. I guess I should start taking controversial conversation opinions in the hope of having a disagreement.

WhiteWhale
07-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Not really. I don't talk about football that much. If I did, I wouldn't post here.

I wouldn't say I'm grateful to the knowledge I've been 'bestowed'. I've been called an idiot for saying Brandon Flowers was better than Marcus Cooper. The forum fell in love with about 700 garbage tier QB's before Mahomes graced the team with his awesomeness. This forum spend a goddamn decade bashing Tamba Hali. Loads of posters insisted 'Eric Berry is only considered good because he had cancer!"

The asinine football takes equal or even exceed the smart insightful comments.

We had people around here defending Mark Sanchez in year 4. Don't get me started on Geno Smith. A jags fan defending bortles doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

DaNewGuy
07-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Jags fans are pricks, I was at the game in 09 where cassel randomly started throwing bombs to chambers to start a slight rally but ultimately lose. I mean lighthearted stuff but another chiefs fan few rows up got beer thrown on him twice.

R8RFAN
07-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Bortles sucks but Mahomes IS a big question mark at this point ...

MahiMike
07-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Bortles sucks but Mahomes IS a big question mark at this point ...

If the Jags had Mahomes last year with that defense, they win the Superbowl in a rout.

notorious
07-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Most fans are fucking idiots. A majority of Chiefs fans are idiots.

It's sad.

R8RFAN
07-15-2018, 11:02 AM
If the Jags had Mahomes last year with that defense, they win the Superbowl in a rout.

If they would have had Johnny Manziel they would have done better that limp dick Bortles...

Mahomes may turn out to be a terrific QB , he has the tools but that does not mean he will be. Many can't miss prospects have failed and I think you guys are going to be disappointed with your 6-10 record this year... I am not saying he won't improve but he is basically a rookie regardless of holding a clipboard for 4 months. Rookie QB's are destroyed mentally by pressure and most never recover

notorious
07-15-2018, 11:08 AM
R8RFan is fishing with dynamite.

Willie Lanier
07-15-2018, 11:16 AM
If they would have had Johnny Manziel they would have done better that limp dick Bortles...

Mahomes may turn out to be a terrific QB , he has the tools but that does not mean he will be. Many can't miss prospects have failed and I think you guys are going to be disappointed with your 6-10 record this year... I am not saying he won't improve but he is basically a rookie regardless of holding a clipboard for 4 months. Rookie QB's are destroyed mentally by pressure and most never recover

Care to bet on over under Chiefs wins?

You set it at 6.5, I'll take the over, loser disappears during the off season.

Deal?

RealSNR
07-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Rookie QB? The only rookie QB on our roster currently is Chase Litton.

This isn't the fucking NBA or MLB. Your first year is your first year, and once it's gone, no matter what you did, you don't get it back. If Mahomes is ineligible to win rookie of the year this season, then he's not a fucking rookie.

Spott
07-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Jags fans are pricks, I was at the game in 09 where cassel randomly started throwing bombs to chambers to start a slight rally but ultimately lose. I mean lighthearted stuff but another chiefs fan few rows up got beer thrown on him twice.

I was at that game and experienced the same thing. My son was 12 at the time and we got cursed at most of the game by a bunch of white trash dirtbags, which is basically the foundation of this shithole of a city. I haven’t attended an NFL game since and have absolutely no desire to ever again.

Reerun_KC
07-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Most fans are ****ing idiots. A majority of Chiefs fans are idiots.

It's sad.

But noise records!

R8RFAN
07-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Care to bet on over under Chiefs wins?

You set it at 6.5, I'll take the over, loser disappears during the off season.

Deal?

I have been here since 2001 and I have never seen you here in my entire life n00b... Why in the **** would I make a bet with a nobody?

R8RFAN
07-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Rookie QB? The only rookie QB on our roster currently is Chase Litton.

This isn't the ****ing NBA or MLB. Your first year is your first year, and once it's gone, no matter what you did, you don't get it back. If Mahomes is ineligible to win rookie of the year this season, then he's not a ****ing rookie.

When you see him running for his life and throwing into triple coverage you will see

notorious
07-15-2018, 02:42 PM
When you see him running for his life and throwing into triple coverage you will see

I agree.

He will also have the firepower to unfuck his mistakes in the game, too. This is the first time I've been excited about a Chiefs QB in my life. Well, maybe since Montana.

jjchieffan
07-15-2018, 02:53 PM

I understand where you're coming from. And I think that it is mostly wishful thinking. You are hoping that Mahomes fails. Because if he turns out to be what we think he is, that will be very bad for the Faiders.
That said, you're right. Many can't miss prospects have failed. But how many of those players have been set up for success like Pat Mahomes? Most top quarterbacks are drafted by teams with talentless rosters. Teams picking in the top ten usually need more than just a quarterback. Lack of quality receivers, running backs, and offensive linemen make it hard for the young signal callers to succeed. But Pat Mahomes is starting for a team that has been a playoff team 4 of the last 5 years. They have a solid offensive line, the best tight end in the NFL, two very good receivers, the reigning rushing champ, and one of the best quarterback guru's in the league for a head coach. That's a situation that is just unheard of in the NFL. And let's not forget about his pedigree. Being raised around professional athlete's, he comes in a little more prepared than most. Add in the redshirt year to learn the offense and Mahomes may just have the best chance to succeed of any young quarterback in NFL history. Can you not see why we have such lodty expectations??

R8RFAN
07-15-2018, 04:29 PM
I agree.

He will also have the firepower to un**** his mistakes in the game, too. This is the first time I've been excited about a Chiefs QB in my life. Well, maybe since Montana.
Sure he will but it will take time, he may very well be one of the best QB's in the NFL one day but not next year or he could be a total bust

I understand where you're coming from. And I think that it is mostly wishful thinking. You are hoping that Mahomes fails. Because if he turns out to be what we think he is, that will be very bad for the Faiders.
That said, you're right. Many can't miss prospects have failed. But how many of those players have been set up for success like Pat Mahomes? Most top quarterbacks are drafted by teams with talentless rosters. Teams picking in the top ten usually need more than just a quarterback. Lack of quality receivers, running backs, and offensive linemen make it hard for the young signal callers to succeed. But Pat Mahomes is starting for a team that has been a playoff team 4 of the last 5 years. They have a solid offensive line, the best tight end in the NFL, two very good receivers, the reigning rushing champ, and one of the best quarterback guru's in the league for a head coach. That's a situation that is just unheard of in the NFL. And let's not forget about his pedigree. Being raised around professional athlete's, he comes in a little more prepared than most. Add in the redshirt year to learn the offense and Mahomes may just have the best chance to succeed of any young quarterback in NFL history. Can you not see why we have such lodty expectations??
I prefer my team to beat the best teams and I really don't hate the Cheaps like most Raider Fans do. Your lofty over the top expectations come from the fact that you haven't drafted a first round QB since the Dead Sea was just sick.
I am not trying to bust bubbles, Mahomes may very well be a quality QB but it won't be this year. Got to see how well he responds to that first hard hit or that first stupid pass... The unknown is exciting and I am glad for the old timers here the most but I am also anxious to see who will be the first one calling for him to be benched... ROFL

Chief Roundup
07-15-2018, 04:39 PM

We will see that he is not a crier and makeup wearer like Carr.

KChiefs1
07-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Why are you arguing with that moron?

RealSNR
07-15-2018, 06:02 PM

God forbid Mahomes throws into triple coverage while running outside the pocket. I would really hate to see what happens if he does that!

https://i.imgur.com/yAMm8tf.gif

Willie Lanier
07-15-2018, 08:59 PM
I have been here since 2001 and I have never seen you here in my entire life n00b... Why in the **** would I make a bet with a nobody?

You're the jackass puffing your chest out...

But hey, whatever man, good luck with life