PDA

View Full Version : News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake

Pages : [1] 2

Dartgod
07-19-2018, 09:05 PM
This is awful. So sad...

NEAR BRANSON, Mo. -- The Stone County Sheriff confirms eight fatalities involved in a duck boat capsizing on Table Rock Lake Thursday.

Emergency crews responded to the incident shortly after 7 p.m. after a severe line of thunderstorms rolled through the area.

Sheriff Doug Rader reports the boat had 31 people on board. He tells KY3 News four of those have been transported to a hospital. Some of the 31 on board include children. Divers are on the scene searching for more possible victims. The sheriff says he does not know how many on the boat are missing. The sheriff is asking for any family missing someone to go to Branson City Hall. It remains a rescue and recovery mission.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Emergency-crews-work-incident-involving-amphibious-boat-on-Table-Rock-Lake-488679201.html

Flying High D
07-19-2018, 09:10 PM
I always thought it would be wise to have on a lifevest before one got on one of those legacy antiquated amphibious vehicles. Those thoughts come from my time in the Army on Mobile Assault Bridges.

Dartgod
07-19-2018, 09:13 PM
I always thought it would be wise to have on a lifevest before one got on one of those legacy antiquated amphibious vehicles. Those thoughts come from my time in the Army on Mobile Assault Bridges.

I've been on "tourists boats" from time to time over the years and they always tell everyone where the life vests are but don't require anyone to wear them.

Simply Red
07-19-2018, 09:28 PM
damn - what exactly is a duck boat?

cooper barrett
07-19-2018, 09:28 PM
That should cause a knee jerk reaction but nothing will change in MO law but the insurance company will force them to be worn from now on. I will be interesting to follow the lawsuits as it may have been an act of nature and not negligence.

dj56dt58
07-19-2018, 09:30 PM
That should cause a knee jerk reaction but nothing will change in MO law but the insurance company will force them to be worn from now on. I will be interesting to follow the lawsuits as it may have been an act of nature and not negligence.

Both..these storms didn’t just pop up out of nowhere

Dartgod
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Amphibious vehicle.

https://thumbnails.trvl-media.com/Fx_clHscFmVU8hLBkmto78hPDk8=/a.travel-assets.com/mediavault.le/media/c307ee90f75549ee6076ee9fbb56793f94eca535.jpeg

dj56dt58
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM

It’s a boat on wheels basically..built from former military vehicles. It drives to the lame then goes into the water

Chief Roundup
07-19-2018, 09:32 PM

Highway and water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=branson+duck+boat&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3gJT03qzcAhUQeawKHU4tA_sQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=732

Hoover
07-19-2018, 09:52 PM
I was on one of those just last week. Damn

notorious
07-19-2018, 09:58 PM
That’s a fucking nightmare. Imagine trying to find and save your children in that murky water.

seaofred
07-19-2018, 10:01 PM
I was playing golf tonight about 30 to 40 miles away. The storm didn’t “pop up”, but came in quick. I was almost caught on the course. Had no idea storms were even possible tonight. Very sad deal. Praying for the families.

Flying High D
07-19-2018, 10:06 PM
There were wind gusts over 60 mph. Why would the operator have it out there?

Simply Red
07-19-2018, 10:08 PM
thanks guys for the answers - this is too bad - prayers up and out to the families of the fatalities. Sad news.

stumppy
07-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Damn, I can't believe that don't make them wear a life jacket.

I'm in Springfield and the storm that rolled through here about 5 1/2 hours ago blew in hard and fast. I was looking out my window and everything was fine one minute and the next tree branches were getting blown down, trash dumpsters were sliding down the road, shit was getting horizontal.
Power was out all over town. Just now got mine back on.

tk13
07-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Now 11 dead.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NEW INFORMATION: Stone County sheriff reports 11 dead, 7 injured after Ride the Ducks boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake: <a href="https://t.co/Yd5UigxAv2">https://t.co/Yd5UigxAv2</a></p>&mdash; KY3 News (@kytv) <a href="https://twitter.com/kytv/status/1020162486560075776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Flying High D
07-19-2018, 10:35 PM
I’m in northeast MO and I was getting alerts on my phone before it arrived here. They had to of had warnings on their phones.

cooper barrett
07-19-2018, 11:07 PM
That’s a ****ing nightmare. Imagine trying to find and save your children in that murky water.

Table Rock is an extremely clean lake but drowning in a 60MPH thunderstorm is not a death I would wish upon anyone.

stumppy
07-19-2018, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure exactly where they put in at but I'm pretty sure it's in the bigger water area towards the damn.

DaFace
07-19-2018, 11:25 PM
Damn, that's horrible.

Fish
07-19-2018, 11:54 PM
Video: https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215216305.html

Yikes.....

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Why didn’t they just hammer down to the closet shore?

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 01:24 AM
Why didn’t they have them put on there life vests during this?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2018, 04:33 AM
Water is unrelenting. Prayers.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Still 6 people missing, so I assume the number of dead will rise to 17. Tragic...

stevieray
07-20-2018, 06:40 AM
:(

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 07:04 AM
Still 6 people missing, so I assume the number of dead will rise to 17. Tragic...

Yep, 13 dead now. 4 still missing.

loochy
07-20-2018, 07:08 AM

It's one of those stupid things you see driving all over Branson.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
07-20-2018, 07:12 AM
That looks like a shitty way to go out. Not that there is some awesome way to die, but drowning in a duck boat is not cool.

luv
07-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Damn, I can't believe that don't make them wear a life jacket.

I'm in Springfield and the storm that rolled through here about 5 1/2 hours ago blew in hard and fast. I was looking out my window and everything was fine one minute and the next tree branches were getting blown down, trash dumpsters were sliding down the road, shit was getting horizontal.
Power was out all over town. Just now got mine back on.

We live near Kickapoo High School. We had a few gusts of wind that made us look outside and some residual rain after that, but that was all. My boyfriend works on the SE side of town, and he said they had sirens go off. My co-worker was late this morning due to not having electricity most of the night. Starting to think we got pretty lucky at home last night.

KCUnited
07-20-2018, 07:56 AM

I had to google it and they look like something out of a Meatballs movie.

Terrible tragedy though. The video was hard to watch.

luv
07-20-2018, 07:56 AM
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Divers-hunt-for-4-after-Missouri-duck-boat-sinks-killing-13-488720161.html

Divers hunt for 4 after Missouri duck boat sinks, killing 13

BRANSON, Mo. (AP) — Divers are searching Friday for four people still missing after a duck boat packed with tourists capsized in high winds on a southwest Missouri lake, killing at least 13 people.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Pace said 14 people survived, including seven who were injured when the Ride the Ducks boat sank on Table Rock Lake in Branson Thursday evening.

Patrol divers found two more bodies early Friday, raising the death toll from 11 to 13, Pace said.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said Thursday that stormy weather likely made the boat capsize. Another duck boat on the lake made it safely back to shore.

Passengers on a nearby boat told ABC's "Good Morning America" that the water became rough as the wind picked up.

"Debris was flying everywhere," Allison Lester said in an interview Friday.

Lester's boyfriend, Trent Behr, said they saw the body of a woman in the water and helped to pull her into the boat. He said he was about to start CPR when an EMT arrived and took over.

A spokeswoman for the Cox Medical Center Branson said four adults and three children arrived at the hospital shortly after the incident. Two adults are in critical condition and the others were treated for minor injuries, Brandei Clifton said.

Steve Lindenberg, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Springfield, Missouri, said the agency issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the Branson area Thursday evening. Lindenberg said winds reached speeds of more than 60 mph (100 kph).

Capt. Jim Pulley, owner of Sea Tow Table Rock Lake, told the Springfield News-Leader that the winds pushed the duck boat that capsized behind a steamboat that was tied to the dock.

Rader said an off-duty sheriff's deputy working security for the boat company helped rescue people after the boat capsized. Dive teams from several law enforcement agencies assisted in the effort.

The National Transportation Safety Board said investigators will arrive on the scene Friday morning.

President Donald Trump tweeted his condolences Friday, extending his deepest sympathies to the families and friends of those involved.

Suzanne Smagala with Ripley Entertainment, which owns Ride the Ducks in Branson, said the company was assisting authorities with the rescue effort. Smagala added this was the Branson tour's only accident in more than 40 years of operation.

Branson is about 200 miles (320 kilometers) southeast of Kansas City and is a popular vacation spot for families and other tourists looking for entertainment ranging from theme parks to live music. An EF2 tornado that bounced through downtown Branson in 2012 destroyed dozens of buildings and injured about three dozen people, but killed no one.

Duck boats, which can travel on land and in water, have been involved in other deadly incidents in the past. Five college students were killed in 2015 in Seattle when a duck boat collided with a bus, and 13 people died in 1999 when a duck boat sank near Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Safety advocates have sought improvements since the Arkansas deaths. Critics argued that part of the problem is that too many agencies regulate the boats with varying safety requirements.

Duck boats were originally used by the U.S. military in World War II to transport troops and supplies, and later were modified for use as sightseeing vehicles.

thebrad84
07-20-2018, 08:00 AM
Why didn’t they just hammer down to the closet shore?

From my understanding, the boat sank only a 100 yards away from shore and docks. The video going around that shows the boat fighting waves right before it goes under is from a woman seated on the Branson Belle that was docked at the time due to the storm. My guess is the captain was attempting to dock before the storm hit, but got caught up in it right before making it and turned around to fight the winds and waves versus attempting a hard landing at the docks. He likely never imagined the boat would capsize until those last few minutes and was pretty well fucked at that point. Terrible tragedy all the way around.

thebrad84
07-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Why didn’t they have them put on there life vests during this?

Meant to address in my previous post, but most of the victims likely drowned as a result of being trapped under the metal canopy after the boat sank under water. The passengers would have had no clue the boat was sinking due to no visibility straight ahead (captain seat sits well above passenger seats) where the boat was taking on water and would have only had seconds to react once the boat started going under. Them wearing life jackets would have only contributed to being trapped under the canopy. Their only hope would have been the captain announcing abandon ship in the first few minutes the ship was taking on water in front, but he likely didn't realize the severity until it was too late.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Meant to address in my previous post, but most of the victims likely drowned as a result of being trapped under the metal canopy after the boat sank under water. The passengers would have had no clue the boat was sinking due to no visibility straight ahead (captain seat sits well above passenger seats) where the boat was taking on water and would have only had seconds to react once the boat started going under. Them wearing life jackets would have only contributed to being trapped under the canopy. Their only hope would have been the captain announcing abandon ship in the first few minutes the ship was taking on water in front, but he likely didn't realize the severity until it was too late.

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like those things are fully enclosed and the people that died, probably died as a result of being trapped inside as it filled up with water. I would imagine that having a life jacket on would have made it more difficult to escape.

redfan
07-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Terrible, terrible tragedy. Very sad to hear about this.

ptlyon
07-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Irregardless, when the weather starts to get bad the captain should make it mandatory that life jackets are worn.

Renegade
07-20-2018, 08:24 AM
I was on the lake less than 1 mile from where that happened. I was off the water 40 minutes before the storm hit. I was watching the clouds and paying attention to the Thunderstorm Warning on the mobile device. There is no way that boat should have been out. It did not come out of nowhere.

I also wonder once those ducks take on water, how hard would it be for the average person to escape through the opening between the seats and the roof.

Prison Bitch
07-20-2018, 08:24 AM
One of the worst stories I've read in a long time

We were just at table rock a few weeks ago and talked about taking or boys on it

These stories really piss me off

luv
07-20-2018, 08:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like those things are fully enclosed and the people that died, probably died as a result of being trapped inside as it filled up with water. I would imagine that having a life jacket on would have made it more difficult to escape.

I've never been on one, but I thought they had big plastic windows that they can put on. Perhaps they were on but difficult to remove?. I think people could have gotten out. Not sure if my chances would have been any better fighting waves and wind in the water, but I think I'd rather face that than be stuck inside of a vehicle. I'd like to think I would have exited the boat on my own, whether through a window or out the doors, but no telling what I might have actually done. Fear, plus having people, I'm sure, telling you what to do and not do.

https://images.familyvacationcritic.com/philadelphia-ride-the-ducks.jpg

DJJasonp
07-20-2018, 08:31 AM
From my understanding, the boat sank only a 100 yards away from shore and docks. The video going around that shows the boat fighting waves right before it goes under is from a woman seated on the Branson Belle that was docked at the time due to the storm. My guess is the captain was attempting to dock before the storm hit, but got caught up in it right before making it and turned around to fight the winds and waves versus attempting a hard landing at the docks. He likely never imagined the boat would capsize until those last few minutes and was pretty well ****ed at that point. Terrible tragedy all the way around.

I realize everyone's physical abilities are different, so not judging (i guess) - but I find it increasingly disturbing that when tragedies strike, people's first instinct is to pull their phone out and start recording.

Just an observation.

Wonder what people did prior to cell phones?

stumppy
07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
After watching the cell phone videos I'm surprised more people didn't drown.
It looks like it would be pretty damn hard to get everyone out in an emergency.

ptlyon
07-20-2018, 09:06 AM

Pointed and shouted

gblowfish
07-20-2018, 09:14 AM
This same thing happened a couple years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas on Lake Hamilton. My parents lived down there. They really cram people into those ducks. It's like being in a school bus with three to a seat. And the roof sits pretty low, so there is no easy way to get out, especially if the boat was sinking. Most of these boats are really old too, like 1950's old. When this happened in Hot Springs I don't think weather was a factor. But yeah, you'd think when things started looking rough that the boat captain would make for shore asap to either get tied up to a dock or get to a boat launch. 17 deaths is bad, having kids die is the worst part.

Molitoth
07-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Watching that video made my heart sink.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 09:25 AM
I think the plastic windows - I assume they have seperate ducks for wet weather - saw them parked in the lot last week when I was down there - would make it very difficult to get out. Like front window or back. Thats it.

Plus they take pictures of every group that rides and do a group picture when they pull out. Will be interested to see where the people who made it out alive were seated.

SAUTO
07-20-2018, 09:26 AM
fucking horrible

Hoover
07-20-2018, 09:26 AM
This same thing happened a couple years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas on Lake Hamilton. My parents lived down there. They really cram people into those ducks. It's like being in a school bus with three to a seat. And the roof sits pretty low, so there is no easy way to get out, especially if the boat was sinking. Most of these boats are really old too, like 1950's old. When this happened in Hot Springs I don't think weather was a factor. But yeah, you'd think when things started looking rough that the boat captain would make for shore asap to either get tied up to a dock or get to a boat launch. 17 deaths is bad, having kids die is the worst part.
The problem is these things are slow as shit in the water. And the rough water makes it really difficult to navigate.

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 09:27 AM
That is gonna be a litigation bonanza.

O.city
07-20-2018, 09:27 AM
We live about 2 miles north of springfield. Storm came thru here about 630, crazy ass wind. I've been on those ducks a bunch growing up. Crazy shit.

ThaVirus
07-20-2018, 09:33 AM
I realize everyone's physical abilities are different, so not judging (i guess) - but I find it increasingly disturbing that when tragedies strike, people's first instinct is to pull their phone out and start recording.

Just an observation.

It's great to have all of this documentation.

There's only so much the average bystander can do in most tragic situations anyway.

notorious
07-20-2018, 09:39 AM
People jammed in like sardines with a roof trapping them in, rough water, confusion, panic, etc.

Can you imagine the people clawing over each other trying to get out?

Parents trying to save their kids while people around them are in full survival-instinct mode?

This might be my worst nightmare.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 09:41 AM
When I was there last week we had a very brief storm come through - it was intense, trees down, water had to be rough, but it was a nice day, then it was a hurricane, then nice again. Is that normal down there?

ptlyon
07-20-2018, 09:46 AM
When I was there last week we had a very brief storm come through - it was intense, trees down, water had to be rough, but it was a nice day, then it was a hurricane, then nice again. Is that normal down there?

Just like marshalltown

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Wouldn’t something be signed before getting a n relieving the company of any liability? Either that or there is signs, printed on the back of the ticket etc.

Fish
07-20-2018, 09:48 AM

These stupid duck boats are known to be dangerous. There's been quite a few tragedies involving these kinds of boats.

DaFace
07-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Wouldn’t something be signed before getting a n relieving the company of any liability? Either that or there is signs, printed on the back of the ticket etc.

Though I don't know for sure, this doesn't seem like the kind of business that would be able to get away with a liability waiver. Baseball game where balls are unpredictable? Sure. Outdoor sports where injuries are relatively common? Sure.

You don't go on a tour where you're expected do just sit there the entire time and expect an injury. If they could get away with a waiver, pretty much every form of public transit would be able to as well.

dj56dt58
07-20-2018, 09:50 AM

I wouldn’t think that would matter in this case..this was pure negligence

Hoover
07-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Just like marshalltown
Yeah, I we were lucky last night, the tornados that hit Boundurant formed right over my neighborhood.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 09:55 AM
I wouldn’t think that would matter in this case..this was pure negligence
Agree. Those Ducks stop before entering the water. They swithc drivers to a certified captain, and radio in for the all clear to enter the water. Something in that process broke down.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 10:03 AM
The last 4 bodies have been recovered, death toll at 17 now. I think I read that there were at least a couple of people in the hospital in critical condition.

God be with them and their families. Just terrible.

I've spent most of my life on or around Missouri lakes, including Table Rock. Being on a boat on the lake is my happy place. This is really getting to me. These people were all likely on vacation with their families just enjoying some time at the lake.

stumppy
07-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Those storms last night weren't just popping up here and there. They were rolling in from the west.
Hell, nowadays weather forecasts, storm warnings, even up to the minute radar are a touch away on about all phones.
I'd like to see what the radar looked like before that storm hit the lake. I'll bet you could see the damn thing coming from a ways off.

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 10:05 AM
The Duck must of been defective the way it looked like it was taking on water and sinking.

Why Not?
07-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Just terrible. Prayers to all families and to the community. My folks have a place in Branson. This is gong to rock the whole community.

KChiefs1
07-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Just an observation.

Stood around & watched.

It always amazes me how people get upset at people for recording something like this. They were on the Branson Belle with a full crew aboard. Did you want all the passengers to start diving into the water? Talk about tragedy. Multiple the deaths by ten if everyone did that. Have common sense people. This rush to judgment & condemnation of people disgusts me.

Fish
07-20-2018, 10:12 AM
I heard there was an excessive wind warning in effect before the ducks were on the water. It wasn't completely unexpected..

stumppy
07-20-2018, 10:13 AM
The Duck must of been defective the way it looked like it was taking on water and sinking.

I don't know if it was defective but the things aren't designed to be in rough water. Looks like a big ass heavy truck floating in the water with not enough power. Watching the cell phone video you can tell it didn't have enough power.

stumppy
07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
I heard there was an excessive wind warning in effect before the ducks were on the water. It wasn't completely unexpected..

Yea, we've had storms coming through here and there these last couple days.

luv
07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Stood around & watched.

It always amazes me how people get upset at people for recording something like this. They were on the Branson Belle with a full crew aboard. Did you want all the passengers to start diving into the water? Talk about tragedy. Multiple the deaths by ten if everyone did that. Have common sense people. This rush to judgment & condemnation of people disgusts me.

Agreed. Those with the training to act (captain and crew of the Branson Belle) did act, from what I've read and heard.

srvy
07-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Surprisingly a search of accident history really isnt that bad for as long as they have been in service. Many are land accidents still any fatalities is a bad thing but pleasure boats seem to have the bad outcome history.

This one really surprised me in Pennsylvania 35 aboard and only 2 fatalities. It was ran over by a barge while stalled by a cell phone distracted captain of the barge.
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/111101091154-duck-boat-crash-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PvqnXNCYdzU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eleazar
07-20-2018, 10:25 AM
They should make these things like those cruise ship lifeboats that are basically big bath toys and are impossible to sink and supposedly will roll back over immediately if capsized

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Here's the radar loop when this all went down.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Branson was under a severe thunderstorm warning issued shortly after 6:30 p.m. (7:30 p.m. ET), about half an hour before the boat capsized. <a href="https://t.co/MABgacUimV">https://t.co/MABgacUimV</a> <a href="https://t.co/V7XVsFgP7Q">pic.twitter.com/V7XVsFgP7Q</a></p>&mdash; CNN Weather Center (@CNNweather) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNNweather/status/1020303681248473089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Waivers don’t cover acts of negligence (e.g., sending the boat out with an impending violent storm on the radar).

See above.

Bearcat
07-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Stood around & watched.

Yeah, it's just a matter of jumping into rough water, being able to swim to the boat during a storm with 60mph gusts, getting into the boat, instructing everyone to calmly swim to the nearest exit, and grabbing any kids and/or anyone who can't swim, and getting them back to shore. I once saw Jason Bourne do it, piece of cake. :rolleyes:

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
These stupid duck boats are known to be dangerous. There's been quite a few tragedies involving these kinds of boats.

You couldn’t drag me into one (or to Branson, for that matter).

Pogue
07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Why was the captain going against the wind? Makes zero sense to me.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2018, 10:36 AM

because they were close to the dock, and that was the way the wind was blowing. They couldn't run cross wind otherwise they have a much higher risk of capsizing.

Molitoth
07-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Woulda, coulda, shoulda,... but yeah, it would have made more sense for him to go with the wind to the nearest land and just crash into someones dock.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2018, 10:39 AM
you can see the Belle here, and I bet that parking lot just to the north is where the Ducks launch, you can see a boat ramp through the trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Showboat+Branson+Belle/@36.5873123,-93.3179762,332m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87cf1d0100e02afd:0xf8edafb258d6e7e1!8m2!3d36.5869939!4d-93.3172096

vailpass
07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Good luck with the insurance rates on those death traps going forward.

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Those do not relieve them of liability for their actions or lack of.

The Branson Ducks will be liquidated (sold to Pattinson's brother in law.:D:D) and the insurance company will settle within the policy limitations unless they can prove negligence of the individual who was overseeing the operation or the driver and then they can go for jail time.

The Company's owner stated on Nation TV that "the boats should not have been in the water..." stating the experience of the pilot and lack of warning for the storm cell that caused the boats sinking.

Prison Bitch
07-20-2018, 10:46 AM
There's no $$$ to sue

A company in Branson bought this "local chapter" of ducks

Maybe insurance pays out? But I doubt this small operation has a ton of coverage

seaofred
07-20-2018, 10:48 AM
you can see the Belle here, and I bet that parking lot just to the north is where the Ducks launch, you can see a boat ramp through the trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Showboat+Branson+Belle/@36.5873123,-93.3179762,332m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87cf1d0100e02afd:0xf8edafb258d6e7e1!8m2!3d36.5869939!4d-93.3172096

I believe that is correct. That is the ramp they enter and exit the lake. Looks like when the warning was issued they did head back towards the ramp, but must have been far enough away they didn't make it back before the storm hit.

Fish
07-20-2018, 10:48 AM

That's the best bet to keep the boat upright. Going parallel to the waves will quickly capsize the boat.

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
There's no $$$ to sue

A company in Branson bought this "local chapter" of ducks

Maybe insurance pays out? But I doubt this small operation has a ton of coverage

1) They absolutely have liability insurance

2) Herschends are minority owners

thebrad84
07-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda,... but yeah, it would have made more sense for him to go with the wind to the nearest land and just crash into someones dock.

Hindsight is always 20/20. He had every reason to initially believe the best move was to "ride the storm out" and not slam in to the docks/shore and throw passengers around. The possibility of capsizing likely didn't even cross his mind until that last minute or two, at which point they were already fucked. Only thing at that point that could have saved lives is his announcement to abandon ship.

luv
You couldn’t drag me into one (or to Branson, for that matter).

I'm guessing you live nearby. People far enough away either go for fun or curiosity. People who live nearby just steer clear...lol.

Skyy God
Those do not relieve them of liability for their actions or lack of.

The Branson Ducks will be liquidated (sold to Pattinson's brother in law.:D:D) and the insurance company will settle within the policy limitations unless they can prove negligence of the individual who was overseeing the operation or the driver and then they can go for jail time.

The Company's owner stated on Nation TV that "the boats should not have been in the water..." stating the experience of the pilot and lack of warning for the storm cell that caused the boats sinking.

Thirowing the (possibly dead) captain ocerboard, I see.

DJJasonp
07-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Stood around & watched.

wow....sorry to disgust you. You must get disgusted easily.

Your comment is fair though.

But even if you're going to stand around and do nothing (as you put it).......isnt it, at the very least, a little morbid to film people dying in a tragedy?

It's not like these people are photojournalists working for Time magazine.

Maybe just me.....but I also remember a thread a while back where kids were filming a guy drowning where the theme/comments were similar.

Pogue
07-20-2018, 10:55 AM
because they were close to the dock, and that was the way the wind was blowing. They couldn't run cross wind otherwise they have a much higher risk of capsizing.

It shouldn’t matter how close to the dock the boat was, the captain should know the boat can’t hold up in those conditions. Why not have the wind at your back and just beach it?

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2018, 10:57 AM
It shouldn’t matter how close to the dock the boat was, the captain should know the boat can’t hold up in those conditions. Why not have the wind at your back and just beach it?

No one is going to risk turning that thing around when you are 450' from the dock and 1.75 miles from the far shore.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 10:58 AM
1) They absolutely have liability insurance

2) Herschends are minority owners
Ripley Entertainment bought the Branson ducks last year.

thebrad84
07-20-2018, 11:00 AM

You are aware that another duck boat was out in the exact same conditions, about 25 yards ahead, the captain of which was doing the exact same thing, and was able to ride the storm out and safely dock it?

stumppy
07-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Here's the radar loop when this all went down.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Branson was under a severe thunderstorm warning issued shortly after 6:30 p.m. (7:30 p.m. ET), about half an hour before the boat capsized. <a href="https://t.co/MABgacUimV">https://t.co/MABgacUimV</a> <a href="https://t.co/V7XVsFgP7Q">pic.twitter.com/V7XVsFgP7Q</a></p>&mdash; CNN Weather Center (@CNNweather) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNNweather/status/1020303681248473089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2018</a></blockquote>

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see some criminal charges come from this.

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 11:04 AM

I think all boats are known to be dangerous... :D:D:D:D:D

It wasn't the boat that caused the deaths, it was the failure of the Dispacher/ Supervisor to keep the boats out of the water during a storm event. The driver/ pilot may have been given/ had the last call or responsibility for the decision to enter the water. If the radar/weather reports said it was coming (alerts sounded) they should have acknowledged it and not gone on visual data. The legal actions should be right up there with the IN State fair/ Sugerland stage collapse lawsuits.

The Ducks owner is right: The boat should not have been in the water.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 11:07 AM
I think the problem is that someone OKed the two Ducks to enter the water with a major strom moving in. The dude piloting the one I was on last week said its difficult to exit the lake when the Branson Belle paddelwheel is going because of the under current it creates. These conditions were like 100x times that.

Pogue
07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
You are aware that another duck boat was out in the exact same conditions, about 25 yards ahead, the captain of which was doing the exact same thing, and was able to ride the storm out and safely dock it?

Would you say that was a smart move considering the fate of the other boat?

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 11:22 AM
The captain survived, the driver didn’t.

Halfcan
07-20-2018, 11:23 AM
They are saying that 17 are dead including kids. The video of it is heartbreaking.

Makes you wonder if people have any common sense. You don't go out on the water with a storm approaching-period. Why would these people get in there with their kids and why in the world would the drivers do it as well? They live at the lake and know how dangerous it is during storms. What a tragedy, one that could have easily been avoided.

thebrad84
07-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Would you say that was a smart move considering the fate of the other boat?
I posted this above..

Hindsight is always 20/20. He had every reason to initially believe the best move was to "ride the storm out" and not slam in to the docks/shore and throw passengers around. The possibility of capsizing likely didn't even cross his mind until that last minute or two, at which point they were already fucked. Only thing at that point that could have saved lives is his announcement to abandon ship.

ptlyon
07-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Yeah, well, what about lightening?

RockChalk
07-20-2018, 11:27 AM

How the fuck would the captain know whether it would hold up or not? You think he navigates those things in 60+mph winds on a weekly basis? He probably has never gone through anything like that before and saw another boat (the exact same fucking model) charging on ahead that ended up making. By the time he realized it was going down, it was too late.

Kindly STFO and quit being the typical internet dipshit that would have saved the day if he had been there. You weren't in that situation, never will be in that situation, so you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

tk13
07-20-2018, 11:31 AM
That video is brutal. I'd have to agree in some ways seeing that other boat make it might have been the worst thing that could happen, because then they thought they could make it to shore too. I really think 99.9% of people would've done the same thing having seen the other boat make it. If you're out there on your own maybe they make a different decision.

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Victims ages range from 1 to 70.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 11:48 AM
They are saying that 17 are dead including kids. The video of it is heartbreaking.

Makes you wonder if people have any common sense. You don't go out on the water with a storm approaching-period. Why would these people get in there with their kids and why in the world would the drivers do it as well? They live at the lake and know how dangerous it is during storms. What a tragedy, one that could have easily been avoided.

We don't know how long they had been on the water. The reports say that the severe t-storm warning was given 30 minutes before they capsized.

Does anyone know how long those tours usually are? I assume they are at least an hour.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Heartbreaking.

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 11:58 AM

So there is still a chance my ex wife was riding a duck?

Hoover
07-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Its not like you get in the Duck at the edge of the water. They probably boarded that thing 45 mins earlier, took a drive up and down a mtn, then entered the water about 15 mins before everything went to shit. Sadly, most people are too trusting. "We wouldn'tbe out here if it wasn't safe..."

Fish
07-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Because in those waves, the second that boat tries to turn around, it's going to capsize. The duck boats are narrow and top heavy.

Halfcan
07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Its not like you get in the Duck at the edge of the water. They probably boarded that thing 45 mins earlier, took a drive up and down a mtn, then entered the water about 15 mins before everything went to shit. Sadly, most people are too trusting. "We wouldn'tbe out here if it wasn't safe..."

Do the Duck boats even have Life Preservers or vest? It really seems to be a high mortality rate even considering the storm conditions.

Pogue
07-20-2018, 12:23 PM
How the fuck would the captain know whether it would hold up or not? You think he navigates those things in 60+mph winds on a weekly basis?

I think amidst your babbling rant, you answered your own question.

[]He probably has never gone through anything like that before and saw another boat (the exact same fucking model) charging on ahead that ended up making. By the time he realized it was going down, it was too late.

If he’s relying and watching another boat while his is in trouble, he probably doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. There could be weight differences etc.

Kindly STFO and quit being the typical internet dipshit that would have saved the day if he had been there. You weren't in that situation, never will be in that situation, so you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I’ve had enough experience to not mess with Mother Nature on boat trips and check the weather conditions often on the Pacific Ocean. But you keep on being a keyboard warrior.

displacedinMN
07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Can't bring myself to watch it.

Hoover
07-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Do the Duck boats even have Life Preservers or vest? It really seems to be a high mortality rate even considering the storm conditions.

Yeah, they are small and strapped to the ceiling.

I figures I'd need like 3 to get my large ass to float.

My wife and I are really aware people. We always check everything out, hech my wife is always packing and has turnicates and shit, its weird, a little too serious sfor me to be honest. Now the one we were on didn't have plexiglass sides so if shit hit the fan I would have been out the window and either get to the branson belle or the little island they go around out in the water.

Had I been out on that thing I would have been communicating with the driver and captain in that situation. I'd be shocked if those people didn't have the life vests on. I think the main issue is that they couldn't get out. And if you did you are going to be pushed near a giant paddelwheeler.

Halfcan
07-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Because in those waves, the second that boat tries to turn around, it's going to capsize. The duck boats are narrow and top heavy.

This. I never thought they looked all that safe to be on the water. Maybe across a short distance for the novelty of it, but not a full-length lake tour.

There are better options to cruise the lake instead of a floating tank on wheels.

ROYC75
07-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see some criminal charges come from this.

Criminal? Like what deadly force with a Duck?

Think Civil case, Negligence.

Pogue
07-20-2018, 12:32 PM

Wonder if these guys even had radios to provide updates on the trip/tour etc.

DJJasonp
07-20-2018, 12:33 PM

agreed.

dj56dt58
07-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Negligence leading to death can absolutely lead to criminal charges

Halfcan
07-20-2018, 12:36 PM

My wife and I are really aware people. We always check everything out, hech my wife is always packing and has turnicates and shit, its weird, a little too serious sfor me to be honest. Now the one we were on didn't have plexiglass sides so if shit hit the fan I would have been out the window and either get to the branson belle or the little island they go around out in the water.

Had I been out on that thing I would have been communicating with the driver and captain in that situation. I'd be shocked if those people didn't have the life vests on. I think the main issue is that they couldn't get out. And if you did you are going to be pushed near a giant paddelwheeler.

It is not weird at all. Very smart actually. You always have to be prepared.

Sounds like those vest were the bare minimum and did not help much in those terrible conditions. I did not realize they had no way to exit the boats. I thought they were open-air windows?

srvy
07-20-2018, 12:40 PM

:LOL:
John Paul Jones

ROYC75
07-20-2018, 12:40 PM

That's the best bet to keep the boat upright. Going parallel to the waves will quickly capsize the boat.

The later 2 comments covers this very well.

Halfcan
07-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Probably for the best. People are eating and relaxing on the paddle boat while the duck boats are struggling. I don't know why the lady filming did not call for help? Towards the end you see the boat running out of steam and bogging down. The duck boat starts swamping with water right before the video cuts out, probably only seconds before it sank. I wonder if the paddleboat even stopped to help? Terrible.

ROYC75
07-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Negligence leading to death can absolutely lead to criminal charges

There is no criminal intent?

It will all come down to a civil liability.

ptlyon
07-20-2018, 12:44 PM
When you're a villan like Hoov, you always need an escape route

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Baby Lee reporting that all passengers have been rescued and are currently recovering.

Coogs
07-20-2018, 12:48 PM
I watched the video once this morning, and have not rewatched since reading this thread. While the video was a bit hard to keep track of due to the reflections, I thought it was the front one that went down. I also thought it looked like the front one did turn sideways for a brief instant before going down.

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 12:50 PM
I wonder if the captain is lawyered up yet?

luv
07-20-2018, 12:50 PM
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Mourners-plan-3-candlelight-vigils-Friday-night-for-victims-of-Ride-the-Ducks-tragedy-488743281.html

Mourners plan 3 candlelight vigils Friday night for victims of Ride the Ducks tragedy

BRANSON, Mo. -- The Tri-Lakes community is remembering the 17 victims of the Ride the Ducks tragedy.

Organizers in the community plan three candlelight vigils Friday night to remember those killed Thursday night.

One group on Facebook is organizing two separate events. The first vigil begins at the Ride the Ducks office on the 76 Strip at 9 p.m. They also invite you to a separate candlelight vigil on Table Rock Lake at the Tiki Bar at 611 Rock Lane at 9 p.m. They ask you to bring candles, flowers, and balloons.

Brookside Church also invites you to a vigil at 9 p.m. The church is located at 2193 State Highway F in Branson.

Not that I'm an environmentalist, but I would opt out of balloons, especially that close to water life.

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 12:52 PM
All three at the same time.

srvy
07-20-2018, 12:54 PM
This. I never thought they looked all that safe to be on the water. Maybe across a short distance for the novelty of it, but not a full-length lake tour.

There are better options to cruise the lake instead of a floating tank on wheels.

Apparently England and Ireland who do the duck boat thing were close to banning them. Instead they fitted them with pontoons on each side making more stable and nearly unsinkable. They also removed the canopy something our Coast Guard and NTSB recommended but has not happened.

When I was young we went to Branson and Table Rock Lake often our Dad never took us on the Duck. Him being in the navy during WWII maybe he knew something about those boats. As kids we always wanted to but Dad never did Instead we went on the cruise ship or rented a boat.

There are very little regulations and they vary State to State I read on these things. Sort of like hot air balloon excursions any idiot can get a permit a balloon and start charging to float you into high voltage transmission lines. Still people will pay for the thrill.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Probably for the best. People are eating and relaxing on the paddle boat while the duck boats are struggling. I don't know why the lady filming did not call for help? Towards the end you see the boat running out of steam and bogging down. The duck boat starts swamping with water right before the video cuts out, probably only seconds before it sank. I wonder if the paddleboat even stopped to help? Terrible.

Do you even read?

The article clearly states:

1. The paddle boat was docked
2. As soon as the crew on it saw that the duck was in distress, they started getting deployed with life jackets and other help.

luv
07-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Video from the other duck. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be too freaked out to be getting my phone out to film if I was on the boat.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/2068774753212638/?t=24

Are those life jackets sitting in the front seat towards the start of the video? I think I'd be putting one of those on.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Video from the other duck. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be too freaked out to be getting my phone out to film if I was on the boat.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/2068774753212638/?t=24

WHY DIDN'T THE PERSON RECORDING THAT GET OUT AND HELP THEM!!!!!11

DaFace
07-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Not that I'm encouraging you to watch it, but it cuts out before shit really hits the fan. It's mainly just showing the two boats fighting to get to shore. Still a bit unsettling, but some of these videos are much worse.

Ebolapox
07-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Wonder if these guys even had radios to provide updates on the trip/tour etc.

I know they used to. my ex-wife spent a summer as the photographer at branson landing for ride the ducks (one of their two branson locations at that time) and they had radios (believe they were cb radios, don't quote me on that one) back then.

I will say, having been on one of the boats, they do offer you life vests but nobody puts them on... and table rock lake doesn't get that rough that often in my experience... that said, no way should they have let them on the water. poster before was correct, it's like an hour total for a duck ride

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Apparently England and Ireland who do the duck boat thing were close to banning them. Instead they fitted them with pontoons on each side making more stable and nearly unsinkable. They also removed the canopy something our Coast Guard and NTSB recommended but has not happened.

When I was young we went to Branson and Table Rock Lake often our Dad never took us on the Duck. Him being in the navy during WWII maybe he knew something about those boats. As kids we always wanted to but Dad never did Instead we went on the cruise ship or rented a boat.

There are very little regulations and they vary State to State I read on these things. Sort of like hot air balloon excursions any idiot can get a permit a balloon and start charging to float you into high voltage transmission lines. Still people will pay for the thrill.

So thee are known fixes the boat operator could have made to make the boats safer.

This just keeps getting better.

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 01:42 PM

No

"Personal Injury" and "Wrongful Death" will certainly be filed in civil cases.

I think they could throw an involuntary manslaughter charge in, at the least, if they could show that the company's employees received the weather info and ignored it for profit.

I doubt any criminal charges will be filed in this case.

The stage collapse in IN never brought criminal charges even though the structure was built below building codes, killing seven people and injuring 58 others. It was settled as a class action at the tune of $50MM.

https://i0.wp.com/www.jimonlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/indiana-state-fair-collapse-falling1.jpg?w=617&ssl=1

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 01:44 PM
I know they used to. my ex-wife spent a summer as the photographer at branson landing for ride the ducks (one of their two branson locations at that time) and they had radios (believe they were cb radios, don't quote me on that one) back then.

I will say, having been on one of the boats, they do offer you life vests but nobody puts them on... and table rock lake doesn't get that rough that often in my experience... that said, no way should they have let them on the water. poster before was correct, it's like an hour total for a duck ride

The time on the water is much less but i don't know how long.

Bob Dole
07-20-2018, 01:54 PM
I’ve walked by them in Hot Springs many times, and not once have I even considered riding one.

HonestChieffan
07-20-2018, 01:54 PM
This should lead to action to get some control over the boats on all MO lakes. LOTO is nuts . TR is not far behind.

BWillie
07-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Wow horrible news. That is a ton dead, JFC. Thoughts and prayers, even though I don't believe in that stuff. Just awful.

MahiMike
07-20-2018, 02:34 PM
That was some rough waters but those 'boats' didn't look too sea worthy. A real boat would not have had a problem with those waves.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-20-2018, 02:42 PM
That was some rough waters but those 'boats' didn't look too sea worthy. A real boat would not have had a problem with those waves.

I’ve went on them in Branson before, many years ago. I’m a worry wart in general, but I definitely felt anxious the whole time while riding. You feel like you just rode a school bus into water. I always thought it was very strange that they didn’t enforce life jackets as mandatory, if nothing else for liability purposes.

jjchieffan
07-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Just a thought about why the Duck was on the water. I live in Highlandville, just north of Branson. I started getting strong winds here about 6:40-6:45. I turned on the TV and saw the warnings. The one for this area was set to expire at 6:45 and it did. But, a few minutes later, a beautiful warning was issued. Maybe the Ducks went out during that time thinking that it was all clear.

Dartgod
07-20-2018, 02:51 PM
9 members of one family among the dead. :shake:

http://kmbc.com/article/mass-casualty-incident-reported-involving-boat-at-missouri-lake/22488782?src=app

jjchieffan
07-20-2018, 02:52 PM
I’ve walked by them in Hot Springs many times, and not once have I even considered riding one.

I've rode them before, and I have no problem with riding one in the future. This was Branson's first Duck accident in 40 years. I take a bigger chance driving to Branson than I do getting on a Duck.

cooper barrett
07-20-2018, 02:55 PM

The Lake Hamilton incident killed 13 of 21 vs. 17 of 31 in Branson.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/1999-arkansas-duck-tour-crash-ap-2-thg-180720_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

https://abcnews.go.com/US/duck-boat-accident-kills-17-missouri-back-past/story?id=56707672

ThaVirus
07-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Perpendicular, cousin.

Skyy God
07-20-2018, 03:19 PM
The Lake Hamilton incident killed 13 of 21 vs. 17 of 31 in Branson.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/1999-arkansas-duck-tour-crash-ap-2-thg-180720_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

https://abcnews.go.com/US/duck-boat-accident-kills-17-missouri-back-past/story?id=56707672

Those things are motorized, floating IQ tests....

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 03:24 PM

http://kmbc.com/article/mass-casualty-incident-reported-involving-boat-at-missouri-lake/22488782?src=app

What are the odds that not a one of those nine didn’t stand their ground and say we better hold off and ride this duck another time when it might be safer. I think it was ‘77 when the ducks came to Branson. The same year Elvis died when the ducks came to Branson. I was 13 took one look at those and said oh no. Half boat half Auto. Makes it not worth a crap. Spent years in the Army building bridges with them. We would put bays on them and carry tanks on them. Lost numerous troops, got hit by barges on the Rhein river in Germany.

rtmike
07-20-2018, 03:24 PM
It looks as though the folks had plenty of time to vest up?

Feel bad for the old timer piloting it.

luv
07-20-2018, 03:27 PM

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Missouris-Governor-Parson-says--9-of-the-17-deaths-in-duck-boat-crash-from-same-family-488759481.html

BRANSON, Mo. (AP) — A spokeswoman for Missouri Gov. Mike Parson says nine of the 17 people who died in a duck boat accident are from the same family.

Parson spokeswoman Kelli Jones says Friday that another two members of the same family survived when the boat capsized on Table Rock Lake near the tourist town of Branson. The governor's office had no other information about the family members. Authorities have not yet identified the victims.

The boat capsized Thursday evening when a thunderstorm hit the area and brought winds that approached near-hurricane speeds.

Twenty-nine passengers and two crew members were on the boat when it capsized. The boat's driver was among those killed.

displacedinMN
07-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Just saw the 9 members Of one family headline. I cannot imagine. This is why my father-in-law doesn't want all of our family on the same plane.

Bwana
07-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Damn :shake:

DaFace
07-20-2018, 04:13 PM
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Missouris-Governor-Parson-says--9-of-the-17-deaths-in-duck-boat-crash-from-same-family-488759481.html

BRANSON, Mo. (AP) — A spokeswoman for Missouri Gov. Mike Parson says nine of the 17 people who died in a duck boat accident are from the same family.

Parson spokeswoman Kelli Jones says Friday that another two members of the same family survived when the boat capsized on Table Rock Lake near the tourist town of Branson. The governor's office had no other information about the family members. Authorities have not yet identified the victims.

The boat capsized Thursday evening when a thunderstorm hit the area and brought winds that approached near-hurricane speeds.

Twenty-nine passengers and two crew members were on the boat when it capsized. The boat's driver was among those killed.

Well, that's one of the more horrific things I've ready lately. I can't imagine being one of the two who made it. :(

dj56dt58
07-20-2018, 04:16 PM
There is no criminal intent?

It will all come down to a civil liability.

There doesn’t have to be intent

Flying High D
07-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Well, that's one of the more horrific things I've ready lately. I can't imagine being one of the two who made it. :(

I wonder which two made it.

WhawhaWhat
07-20-2018, 06:20 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One of the surviving members of the Coleman family who was on the boat said that the captain told passengers not to worry about life jackets.<br><br>&quot;You don&#39;t need &#39;em,&quot; she recalled him saying. &quot;So nobody grabbed them.&quot;<a href="https://t.co/gJ1EoXs06N">https://t.co/gJ1EoXs06N</a></p>&mdash; BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1020449956665016322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2018</a></blockquote>

Bwana
07-20-2018, 06:40 PM
One of the surviving members of the Coleman family who was on the boat said that the captain told passengers not to worry about life jackets.

"You don't need 'em," she recalled him saying. "So nobody grabbed them."https://t.co/gJ1EoXs06N
— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) July 20, 2018 (https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1020449956665016322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>

Yeah screw that. I have been in a small boat in the middle of a lake when a storm rolled in and thought I was going in the drink. I make the girl I was with vest up and I did the same. I managed to get the thing back to shore without sinking it, but I have had a healthy respect for weather/lakes since that incident. :shake: I error on the side of caution.

Rain Man
07-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Geez, if that's a recent picture, you wonder if kids or adults survived. If you're a kid, talk about having your life turned upside down in a flash. The double challenge is that your contingent caretakers/guardians may have died as well.

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Just saw the 9 members Of one family headline. I cannot imagine. This is why my father-in-law doesn't want all of our family on the same plane.

It's crazy because one of their family members is a receptionist at my wife's work. Needless to say no one got any work done today. What do you say to someone who found out half their family tree was wiped out in one day?

Rain Man
07-20-2018, 06:46 PM
It's crazy because one of their family members is a receptionist at my wife's work. Needless to say no one got any work done today. What do you say to someone who found out half their family tree was wiped out in one day?

Wow. Was that person one of the survivors, or were they not present?

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Wow. Was that person one of the survivors, or were they not present?

She was not present. It was both of her aunt/uncles and their kids. But it's the worst thing imaginable. Oh my family is in Branson that's crazy I'm sure they are alright what are the odds they are on that specific boat? Wait I can't get a hold of them. Wait were they on the boat? That can't be...

DaFace
07-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Geez, if that's a recent picture, you wonder if kids or adults survived. If you're a kid, talk about having your life turned upside down in a flash. The double challenge is that your contingent caretakers/guardians may have died as well.

The article says it is an aunt and her nephew who survived. She lost her own kids and husband, so I have to imagine she'll take the nephew in. I can only hope that some combination of life insurance and lawsuit payouts will at least set them up for life.

But still. I mean...

Speaking by phone from a hospital in Branson, Coleman said she lost all of her children, her husband, her mother-in-law, her father-in-law, an uncle, her sister-in-law, and a nephew.

cooper barrett
07-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Yeah screw that. I have been in a small boat in the middle of a lake when a storm rolled in and thought I was going in the drink. I make the girl I was with vest up and I did the same. I managed to get the thing back to shore without sinking it, but I have had a healthy respect for weather/lakes since that incident. :shake: I error on the side of caution.

I used to beach the fishing boat on Riss Lake when lightning and high winds hit.

The Ducks have a responsibility to protect their passengers and if they were told of 60 mph winds anywhere near the time window and went into the lake then there is negligence. If the storm, like in the IN stage collapse, hit early and at more than twice the force as forecasted, it may just turn into lawyers missing in the wind.

I have no reservations about taking a duck out on the lake, as I have done many times, but wouldn't consider one anything but a fair weather vessel.

suzzer99
07-21-2018, 03:05 AM

So let's say these boats were made with floating roofs that are designed to come off if the boat sinks. Do you think most people would live in that case? If so that seems like a pretty simple fix to me.

IowaHawkeyeChief
07-21-2018, 07:13 AM
I used to beach the fishing boat on Riss Lake when lightning and high winds hit.

The Ducks have a responsibility to protect their passengers and if they were told of 60 mph winds anywhere near the time window and went into the lake then there is negligence. If the storm, like in the IN stage collapse, hit early and at more than twice the force as forecasted, it may just turn into lawyers missing in the wind.

I have no reservations about taking a duck out on the lake, as I have done many times, but wouldn't consider one anything but a fair weather vessel.

I saw a report with a meteorologist talking about the storm. They said they were tracking the storm, a typical Midwest thunderstorm, and they had time to finish and be docked by the time it arrived. Unfortunately, the report said the winds preceded the storm, as you can see in the video, it's not raining yet. These winds developed extremely quickly and were way more intense and don't show up on radar. The reporter said the rains didn't come until 5-10 minutes after the event and they would have had plenty of time to dock based on radar. The actual rain and thunderstorm only lasted a few minutes. Don't know the validity of this, but it makes some sense. Very sad deal.

dj56dt58
07-21-2018, 08:29 AM
I saw a report with a meteorologist talking about the storm. They said they were tracking the storm, a typical Midwest thunderstorm, and they had time to finish and be docked by the time it arrived. Unfortunately, the report said the winds preceded the storm, as you can see in the video, it's not raining yet. These winds developed extremely quickly and were way more intense and don't show up on radar. The reporter said the rains didn't come until 5-10 minutes after the event and they would have had plenty of time to dock based on radar. The actual rain and thunderstorm only lasted a few minutes. Don't know the validity of this, but it makes some sense. Very sad deal.

Even if this was the case..they are still cutting it close which is inexcusable especially on a ride that typically has a lot of kids on board

dj56dt58
07-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Me my wife and kids have ridden the ducks before in Branson..it's a nice ride even before the lake..they could have simply said due to incoming weather they can't get into the water and i'm sure the passengers would have been completely fine with it

Skyy God
07-21-2018, 08:52 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/20/the-violent-storm-behind-the-duck-boat-tragedy-was-well-predicted-not-out-of-nowhere/

Why Not?
07-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Grew up on the water. Grew up being taught the saying "if there's any doubt, you don't go out" period! Total negligence on the part of the company/captain.

Why Not?
07-21-2018, 09:16 AM
So let's say these boats were made with floating roofs that are designed to come off if the boat sinks. Do you think most people would live in that case? If so that seems like a pretty simple fix to me.

Depends on the people. Their age, their physical stamina, their swimming ability, and their ability to avoid the freeze part of flight, fight, or freeze while in a crisis. Generally speaking, it would be a better option to have a removable roof to avoid the trapping effect that occurs with these "boats". On this particular vessel, there were a bunch of elderly, very young, and African Americans who historically have a higher chance of being poor swimmers(and anybody can fuck off with any racism claims, look it up). Very likely most who died may have died anyway.

Hoover
07-21-2018, 09:23 AM
The interview with the gal that one of the two survivors that lost 9 family members is pretty damning if you ask me. Not only did the Duck captain tell them they didn't need their live vests on, she also said that the Duck departed straight to the lake instead of taking the normal route in order to get this ride in before the storm. Which means the company was aware of the weather and wanted to cash in one more load of riders before the storm came.

Flying High D
07-21-2018, 09:32 AM
^ They were also kept being told to stay seated all the way to the very end.

Baby Lee
07-21-2018, 09:43 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/20/the-violent-storm-behind-the-duck-boat-tragedy-was-well-predicted-not-out-of-nowhere/

I hate to say it, but my first thought was "Who did the older folks on the boat vote for?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/20/the-violent-storm-behind-the-duck-boat-tragedy-was-well-predicted-not-out-of-nowhere/?outputType=comment&commentId=0f546cd6-35ea-42aa-abb1-88156946860a

Bwana
07-21-2018, 10:35 AM
The interview with the gal that one of the two survivors that lost 9 family members is pretty damning if you ask me. Not only did the Duck captain tell them they didn't need their live vests on, she also said that the Duck departed straight to the lake instead of taking the normal route in order to get this ride in before the storm. Which means the company was aware of the weather and wanted to cash in one more load of riders before the storm came.

Yeah, I have been hearing the same thing from a lot of different sources. The owner of this outfit is in some deep doo-doo.

lewdog
07-21-2018, 10:51 AM
I hope the Duck Boat company doesn't go under after they get sued for this act of negligence.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2018, 11:02 AM
^ They were also kept being told to stay seated all the way to the very end.

:facepalm:

Would have had a much better chance to have them abandon ship with life vests on several minutes earlier.

Skyy God
07-21-2018, 11:36 AM
I hope the Duck Boat company doesn't go under after they get sued for this act of negligence.

I bet they get swamped with lawsuits....

Skyy God
07-21-2018, 12:00 PM
It’s gonna attract trial attorneys like ducks to water.

Sassy Squatch
07-21-2018, 01:15 PM
It’s gonna attract trial attorneys like ducks to water.
Nice.

HemiEd
07-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Both..these storms didn’t just pop up out of nowhere

That one sure did, literally came up and it was crazy in no time. Neighbors trees down, lots of trees down on the road over to our boat.

It got real in no time. I have a friend that drives one of those duck boats and was glad to see it wasn't him.

A real tragedy for those involved and their families.

cooper barrett
07-21-2018, 02:38 PM

The reasons that Ripley's Duck Rides of Branson will go under is because of the newness of the purchase (debt load), lack of cash flow caused by reduced ridership, and terms set by the lenders. There are PA attorneys who don't like the Duck boats who are seeking/ promoting their expertise seeking paychecks from the Branson drowning and the banning of duck boats as an industry.

The parent company of "Ride the Ducks" is the Ripley's World Records people but surely are a separate identity from the Duck boats for liability reasons.

Other duck boat claims with other operators have involved blatant misconduct. See below.

Remember that a company of this type and size should have a very large liability policy and an insurance company with deep pockets to defend itself.

I think that when the smoke clears that most claims settle for modest amounts and if any claims make it to court that Ripley Entertainment is cleared of wrongdoing in the form of wrongful death or criminal charges this denying punitive damages.

There will be attorneys (Robert J. Mongeluzzi has Andrew R. Duffy promoting the $17M settlement in the barge/ duck deaths in PA.) who will be bringing huge claims against the Ducks. I MHO they will get nowhere in the MO courts unless the Ducks failed to follow set procedures that were surely set by NHTS, coast guard and MO Highway Patrol.

The Deleware river duck boat settlement was based upon the actions of a barge pilot when he failed to avoid collision with a Duck that had entered the barge traffic lanes. I would assume the the barge owners paid most of the claim as the political got a year in jail and licence revoked.

"The driver of the tugboat, in the Delaware River incident, that was guiding the barge was charged with manslaughter after it was determined he had been distracted by his laptop and cellphone "for an extended period of time prior to the collision."

The Hot Springs drowning were mechanical as far as the cause.

"An NTSB investigation concluded that inadequate maintenance caused the vessel to sink. The boat took on water due to a loose rubber boot and began to sink."

Unless there is a smoking gun the Branson incident will just be a tragedy not a monetary windfall of tens of millions of dollars. The 1st case above was reported as a $17MM settlement for 2 wrongfull deaths and the injuries of others.

cooper barrett
07-21-2018, 02:49 PM
That one sure did, literally came up and it was crazy in no time. Neighbors trees down, lots of trees down on the road over to our boat.

It got real in no time. I have a friend that drives one of those duck boats and was glad to see it wasn't him.

A real tragedy for those involved and their families.

The sudden wind shears that appear before storms seems to be more prevalent recently. One hit in IN last month that caused huge amounts of damage and caused 48 hour power outages. The winds struck 20 minutes before forecasted.

Glad your friend was not involved. Have you spoke to him about this?

Flying High D
07-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Maybe the weather bureau should put the warning out before the actual storm to account for the pre-winds.

HemiEd
07-21-2018, 05:29 PM
The sudden wind shears that appear before storms seems to be more prevalent recently. One hit in IN last month that caused huge amounts of damage and caused 48 hour power outages. The winds struck 20 minutes before forecasted.

Glad your friend was not involved. Have you spoke to him about this?

I have not, we really aren't in touch much this last year since I moved on from the rehab class we were in and I am sure he is devastated. I doubt if he wants anyone bringing it up and asking him questions right now.

I truly believe the winds here at my house were well above 60mph, maybe closer to 70. I have a lot of trees and am sure glad I keep them trimmed up.

dj56dt58
07-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Maybe the weather bureau should put the warning out before the actual storm to account for the pre-winds.

They did..it's called a severe thunderstorm warning which they were under. That means get indoors and stay indoors and it most certainly means don't take a duck boat with 30+ people including children onto the lake. High winds are a part of severe thunderstorms and they tend to hit before the storm itself does. Severe thunderstorm warnings are issued for large hail and/or very high winds..they don't just issue them for thunder and lightning.

Dartgod
07-21-2018, 09:09 PM
They did..it's called a severe thunderstorm warning which they were under. That means get indoors and stay indoors and it most certainly means don't take a duck boat with 30+ people including children onto the lake. High winds are a part of severe thunderstorms and they tend to hit before the storm itself does. Severe thunderstorm warnings are issued for large hail and/or very high winds..they don't just issue them for thunder and lightning.

Everything I've read says that they were already on the water when the warning issued.

KS Smitty
07-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Everything I've read says that they were already on the water when the warning issued.

Those same frontline winds/storm front hit Manhattan KS shortly after 2:00 pm and were clocked at 83 mph. We were put in a severe thunderstorm warning 30 minutes prior to the winds hitting us. People that are supposed to be aware of weather should have heard of the damages coming from the west related to this storm.

dj56dt58
07-21-2018, 10:12 PM

The warning was out well before they hit the water..a watch was out most of the day

Dartgod
07-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Those same frontline winds/storm front hit Manhattan KS shortly after 2:00 pm and were clocked at 83 mph. We were put in a severe thunderstorm warning 30 minutes prior to the winds hitting us. People that are supposed to be aware of weather should have heard of the damages coming from the west related to this storm.

Maybe. However, I was responding to the person who was insinuating that they entered the water AFTER the warning was issued.

Dartgod
07-21-2018, 10:17 PM
The warning was out well before they hit the water..a watch was out most of the day
Link that shit up then, because you are wrong.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-21-2018, 10:21 PM
https://youtu.be/MpQ6X4ojHws

KS Smitty
07-21-2018, 10:22 PM
Maybe. However, I was responding to the person who was insinuating that they entered the water AFTER the warning was issued.

Weather warnings are also very hit and miss these days. It's really crazy how it looks like an area is going to get hammered and it disappates before it get there but then the next storm wreaks havoc on the same area.

dj56dt58
07-21-2018, 10:33 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/branson-duck-boat-severe-thunderstorm-warning-issued-before-missouri-boat-capsized-sank-table-rock-lake/Link that shit up then, because you are wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cbs4indy.com/2018/07/21/weather-timeline-around-branson-duck-boat-accident/amp/

Dartgod
07-21-2018, 10:45 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/branson-duck-boat-severe-thunderstorm-warning-issued-before-missouri-boat-capsized-sank-table-rock-lake/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cbs4indy.com/2018/07/21/weather-timeline-around-branson-duck-boat-accident/amp/

Neither one of those state that the boat entered the water after the warning was issued.

HemiEd
07-22-2018, 05:51 AM
Neither one of those state that the boat entered the water after the warning was issued.

It was a beautiful day and it came out of nowhere. We were not aware of any warnings here at all .

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 07:32 AM

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215222260.html

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 07:40 AM
It was a beautiful day and it came out of nowhere. We were not aware of any warnings here at all .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2018/07/20/duck-boat-tragedy-was-preventable-because-storm-did-not-come-out-of-nowhere/

Yep, just popped out of nowhere. National Weather Service wasn’t tracking it all when it formed in northwest Kansas and Cental Nebraska and traveled towards Branson. Total negligence on the ride operators.

stumppy
07-22-2018, 07:46 AM
https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215222260.html

Damn

Al Alonzo was at his home about five minutes north of Branson when he saw the weather report shortly after 6 p.m. It said there was a storm coming and it would hit the area about 7 p.m.

By 6:30 p.m. Alonzo, 66, was watching small barbecue grills and lawn chairs getting blown over by strong winds. He helped some ladies in his neighborhood get inside and told them to hunker down.

His son told him that, shortly before 7 p.m., he saw a duck boat headed for the lake.

The wind was coming in strong and the water was choppy.

“They’re not going in, are they?” Alonzo said. “I don’t think they’d be going in when it’s like this.”

By Friday morning Alonzo had heard what happened to the boat.

“They went in,” he said. “Stupid, I can’t understand that.”

redfan
07-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Overloaded and underpowered in high waves is a recipe for disaster. Lake was probably calmer when they went in, they tried to beat the storm.

HemiEd
07-22-2018, 10:03 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2018/07/20/duck-boat-tragedy-was-preventable-because-storm-did-not-come-out-of-nowhere/

Yep, just popped out of nowhere. National Weather Service wasn’t tracking it all when it formed in northwest Kansas and Cental Nebraska and traveled towards Branson. Total negligence on the ride operators.

I sure wasn't aware of it, but obviously they should have been.

I had all of my family here and we were eating, drinking and enjoying the evening.

For us, it came out of nowhere, but obviously those paying attention to media should have known about it according to this information you provided.

cooper barrett
07-22-2018, 12:04 PM
"Steve Paul, owner of the Test Drive Technologies inspection service in the St. Louis area, said he issued a written report for the company in August 2017. It explained why the boats' engines - and pumps that remove water from their hulls - might fail in inclement weather"

Reported by AP

Do you think that this defect was disclosed to Ripley and was documented as part of the sale or did Ripley not know that the bilge system needed upgrading?

This may open up the food chain to the past owners.

dj56dt58
07-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Do your own fucking research it’s not that hard

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Do your own fucking research it’s not that hard

Nope, will go with what is written on a fan message board by people who don’t have a clue what the hell they are writing and/or arguing about. Please, get with the program. If not bring out the ban hammer. Better to ban them than be proven wrong.

scho63
07-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Whoever made the decision to go out in that weather deserves all the punishment that can be legally dished out.

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Ultimately it is the boat operator.

Dartgod
07-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Damn

Al Alonzo was at his home about five minutes north of Branson when he saw the weather report shortly after 6 p.m. It said there was a storm coming and it would hit the area about 7 p.m.

By 6:30 p.m. Alonzo, 66, was watching small barbecue grills and lawn chairs getting blown over by strong winds. He helped some ladies in his neighborhood get inside and told them to hunker down.

His son told him that, shortly before 7 p.m., he saw a duck boat headed for the lake.

The wind was coming in strong and the water was choppy.

“They’re not going in, are they?” Alonzo said. “I don’t think they’d be going in when it’s like this.”

By Friday morning Alonzo had heard what happened to the boat.

“They went in,” he said. “Stupid, I can’t understand that.”

Something doesn't add up here. It's 6.3 miles from the duck's home on 76 to the Branson Belle, which is right about where it sank. That's at least a 15 minute drive. This guy lives 5 minutes north of Branson and his son saw them headed for the lake "shortly before seven". How is it possible that they got in the water and then sank at 7:09?

Dartgod
07-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Nope, will go with what is written on a fan message board by people who don’t have a clue what the hell they are writing and/or arguing about. Please, get with the program. If not bring out the ban hammer. Better to ban them than be proven wrong.

Are you suggesting that I would ban him in order to win an argument?

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 06:56 PM

Are you suggesting that is a non-ban able offense?

Dartgod
07-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Are you suggesting that is a non-ban able offense?

Ummm, sure.

This is getting weird.

vailpass
07-22-2018, 07:09 PM
"Steve Paul, owner of the Test Drive Technologies inspection service in the St. Louis area, said he issued a written report for the company in August 2017. It explained why the boats' engines - and pumps that remove water from their hulls - might fail in inclement weather"

Reported by AP

Do you think that this defect was disclosed to Ripley and was documented as part of the sale or did Ripley not know that the bilge system needed upgrading?

This may open up the food chain to the past owners.

I read the story on this inspector and his quotes. If what he says can be verified I’ll be surprised if there are any duck boats left in business in their current form.

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 08:02 PM
He was on the news the other day. Steve inspected the equipment before Ripley Entertainment made the purchase. He said the exhaust ports were located in the front of the boat. He said the he exhaust can’t exit before the passengers and also water could enter through those exhaust in rough water and stall the engines.

Bugeater
07-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Ummm, sure.

This is getting weird.
It's blueballs. Of course it's getting weird.

Dartgod
07-22-2018, 08:15 PM
It's blueballs. Of course it's getting weird.

That's blueballs? Hell, I can't keep up anymore.

cooper barrett
07-22-2018, 08:38 PM
He was on the news the other day. Steve inspected the equipment before Ripley Entertainment made the purchase. He said the exhaust ports were located in the front of the boat. He said the he exhaust can’t exit before the passengers and also water could enter through those exhaust in rough water and stall the engines.

I see exhaust going up and over the roofline in some pics but not in this pic of a Branson Duck. Refitting bilge pumps would not be a big deal and with canopies the water taken on would be minimal.

NTSB former head issues statement but Hall appeared to do nothing concrete while holding position.

stumppy
07-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Something doesn't add up here. It's 6.3 miles from the duck's home on 76 to the Branson Belle, which is right about where it sank. That's at least a 15 minute drive. This guy lives 5 minutes north of Branson and his son saw them headed for the lake "shortly before seven". How is it possible that they got in the water and then sank at 7:09?

Who knows, maybe his son in the BB area and was telling him this on the phone. That's what I figured considering the distance involved.

stumppy
07-22-2018, 09:33 PM

You should do it now just because. ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2018, 09:37 PM
blueballs is an enigma

Prison Bitch
07-22-2018, 09:37 PM
https://da4pli3l5vc0d.cloudfront.net/f2/9e/f29eff942efed775342b381053898e4b24c40929/h=300/?app=portal&sig=51bb5d0af651d7aec4a10085af72a45b1861319cd3f8649845ba7095250d4d73

This woman is prob the only gofundme I'd ever contribute to.

threebag
07-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Just heartbreaking. What a hell of a funeral that's going be to sit through. Fuck

Flying High D
07-22-2018, 10:47 PM
https://da4pli3l5vc0d.cloudfront.net/f2/9e/f29eff942efed775342b381053898e4b24c40929/h=300/?app=portal&sig=51bb5d0af651d7aec4a10085af72a45b1861319cd3f8649845ba7095250d4d73

A Go Fund Me account started to help out the Coleman family already raised more than $300,000.

luv
07-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Friend of mine works for Cox Hospital in Branson where seven of the victims were taken. He was going home from a shift during the storm, but worked the following day (Friday). He had nothing but praise for his co-workers, and he said he cried like a baby after his shift on Friday. The story that most broke his heart was the 13 year old Coleman that survived. He was talking about the last time he saw his brother (one of the four Coleman kids that died).

I had a classmate who worked a majority of her time as an ER doctor in Florida. She never gave details, but there were times when cases were particularly hard to handle when she would vent a little. People often complain about doctors and such in the medical profession, but, whenever situations like these arise, they step up and get the job done regardless of the emotional toll it might take later.

Kudos to those individuals (doctors, nurses, and staff).

cooper barrett
07-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I used to date an ER MD and while it was rewarding work it left scars. Those who rose to such an occasion on Thurday will be scared by what they dealt with for ever.
My hat is off to both those who died but those who served..

Friend of mine works for Cox Hospital in Branson where seven of the victims were taken. He was going home from a shift during the storm, but worked the following day (Friday). He had nothing but praise for his co-workers, and he said he cried like a baby after his shift on Friday. The story that most broke his heart was the 13 year old Coleman that survived. He was talking about the last time he saw his brother (one of the four Coleman kids that died).

I had a classmate who worked a majority of her time as an ER doctor in Florida. She never gave details, but there were times when cases were particularly hard to handle when she would vent a little. People often complain about doctors and such in the medical profession, but, whenever situations like these arise, they step up and get the job done regardless of the emotional toll it might take later.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 10:36 AM
How did the Taney County Morque manage 17 corpses?

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Did the captain go down with his ship?

luv
07-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Did the captain go down with his ship?

The driver died, but the captain survived.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 10:55 AM
But the driver went by the nickname Captain.

tooge
07-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Maybe there was a quack in the hull. Too soon?

Skyy God
07-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Hopefully the judge in this case hits the company with a Mallard.

Stinger
07-23-2018, 11:26 AM

A Go Fund Me account started to help out the Coleman family already raised more than $300,000.

Almost to $470,000 now. If anybody is interested....

https://www.gofundme.com/branson-duck-boat-survivor

redfriday
07-23-2018, 11:27 AM
I live in Branson about 1.5 miles away from where it took place.

I looked out my window and saw that storm coming in. My first impression was it looked very different from normal storms and was worried about it producing a tornado. From the time I spotted it, and the time it hit, there was about 8-10 minutes. If I had of been out on the water in my boat, I would of headed in immediately. Although the storm came in very quickly, there was time to get off the water.

Lex Luthor
07-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Yes.

loochy
07-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Yes.

No.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
07-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Not AFLAC as I know.

Dartgod
07-23-2018, 12:31 PM
I live in Branson about 1.5 miles away from where it took place.

I looked out my window and saw that storm coming in. My first impression was it looked very different from normal storms and was worried about it producing a tornado. From the time I spotted it, and the time it hit, there was about 8-10 minutes. If I had of been out on the water in my boat, I would of headed in immediately. Although the storm came in very quickly, there was time to get off the water.

How fast is your boat?

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 12:42 PM

https://www.gofundme.com/table-rock-cares

Here’s another one. Anybody else impressed by the family of nine on the duck and they all survived.

gblowfish
07-23-2018, 12:43 PM

My mom ran the Operating Room Nursing Staff at Trinity Lutheran Hospital at 31st and Main in KC. It was the closest trauma center when the skywalks collapsed at the Crown Center Hyatt. She was called in that night to triage the patients. I think they got about 30 of the victims. It was really ghastly. We didn't see her for three days, she worked almost non stop for 72 hours, and she never wanted to talk about it. We understood.

The Ducks website is pretty contrite right now:
http://bransonducks.com/

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 12:50 PM
^ After reading that it seems most of the expenses are taken care of.

vailpass
07-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Seems like they're good now.

Eleazar
07-23-2018, 12:59 PM
My mom ran the Operating Room Nursing Staff at Trinity Lutheran Hospital at 31st and Main in KC. It was the closest trauma center when the skywalks collapsed at the Crown Center Hyatt. She was called in that night to triage the patients. I think they got about 30 of the victims. It was really ghastly. We didn't see her for three days, she worked almost non stop for 72 hours, and she never wanted to talk about it. We understood.

The Ducks website is pretty contrite right now:
http://bransonducks.com/

I know nothing about Ride The Ducks but that makes them sound like good people. They could have just lawyered up and clammed up which is what most companies would have done.

I hate hearing about that Hyatt disaster. That was the day I was born, so I got to hear about it on the local news first thing every year on my birthday. Sharing the day with one of the worst things ever to happen in the city is weird.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Seems weird that ride the ducks wouldn’t have a minimum age or size to ride it. Is there life vest small enough to fit a 1 year old?

MVChiefFan
07-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Seems weird that ride the ducks wouldn’t have a minimum age or size to ride it. Is there life vest small enough to fit a 1 year old?

Why? It’s not some sort of thrill ride. It’s basically a bus and a boat, and there shouldn’t be any reason for a minimum size/age. I’m not sure if they had life vests for a one year old, but I know they definitely make them.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Who’s Leeta Bigbee? She’s the one who gets the money from that account. The very first interview Tia did from the hospital bed she was asking for funds to help because of all that was lost.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Why? It’s not some sort of thrill ride. It’s basically a bus and a boat, and there shouldn’t be any reason for a minimum size/age. I’m not sure if they had life vests for a one year old, but I know they definitely make them.

Would you of taken a baby on it? Not judging, just curious what the general consensus would be.

luv
07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Would you of taken a baby on it? Not judging, just curious what the general consensus would be.

I have a two year old who would love it. Little kids love bus rides and being on a boat. Also, they're on vacation. It's not like they have a babysitter handy to leave the toddler with while the rest of them go. Not sure on pricing, but I would assume the one year old was free as long as they were on a parents lap.

vailpass
07-23-2018, 01:17 PM

Hell no.

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Duck boats linked to more than 40 deaths since 1999

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article215261040.html

Maybe, it’s just me.

loochy
07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Duck boats linked to more than 40 deaths since 1999

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article215261040.html

Maybe, it’s just me.

Well take away the 17 that just happened and that leaves 23 since 1999. That's 1.2 deaths per year until now. They're hardly floating death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flying High D
07-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Well take away the 17 that just happened and that leaves 23 since 1999. That's 1.2 deaths per year until now. They're hardly floating death.
Posted via Mobile Device

‘They are death traps and sinking coffins’: Missouri duck boat accident among deadliest in 20 years

https://myfox8.com/2018/07/20/they-are-death-traps-and-sinking-coffins-missouri-duck-boat-accident-among-deadliest-in-20-years/

Ya, your probably right.