PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ware restructures his contract

Dante84
07-24-2018, 08:11 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/24/spencer-ware-restructures-deal-with-chiefs/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Moved $725k of his $1.4m base salary to incentives that he has a “very real shot” of hitting.

Sounds like we applied some pressure, since he is giving up some of his guarantee for no added value to him.

Also means he want to stay a Chief, for this season at least.

Also, means we are paying West more than Ware... so he’s probably gone.

Also, does this mean we are freeing up cap space? why? Breeland?

pugsnotdrugs19
07-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Very deep at RB...

BossChief
07-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Interesting.

Gotta be making room for a signing.

Simply Red
Sweet - I love this guy!

Simply Red
Interesting.

I keep hearing Ty Law's name tossed around!!!

BryanBusby
Interesting.

725k gonna tip the scales for them on that? Yeah, ok.

Simply Red
07-24-2018, 08:22 AM
We have an army of one ginormous big black 'double headed' dildo at the running back position that we're about to tool the rest of the league with! EXCITING!!

dj56dt58
07-24-2018, 08:23 AM
725k gonna tip the scales for them on that? Yeah, ok.

Could be more changes coming to clear cap..why else would they do this for a small amount? At the same time they should have cap space for a signing without making moves like this unless they are going after more than 1 guy

BryanBusby
07-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Could be more changes coming to clear cap..why else would they do this for a small amount? At the same time they should have cap space for a signing without making moves like this unless they are going after more than 1 guy
Well,

He agreed to cut his base down to basically what the team owed him if were to get cut in return for incentives he can reach easily, if he's healthy. He restructured for more job security because he's far from a certain to making the final roster.

Now the Chiefs aren't on the hook for much extra if he is actually a broke dick.

725k isn't going to make or break a FA acquisition for them.

oldman
07-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Well,

He agreed to cut his base down to basically what the team owed him if were to get cut in return for incentives he can reach easily, if he's healthy. He restructured for more job security because he's far from a certain to making the final roster.

Now the Chiefs aren't on the hook for much extra if he is actually a broke dick.

725k isn't going to make or break a FA acquisition for them.

I think you're right. $725K isn't going to sign anyone except a FA off someone's scrap pile. With the number of RBs we now have signed, it's more about job security.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Interesting.

If it's a games played incentive, it would be characterized as 'unlikely to be earned' since he didn't play in the regular season last year. That means it wouldn't count on this year's cap but would instead be added at the end of the year if he hits it.

It really shouldn't matter; I'd be shocked if the Chiefs allowed themselves to get that close to the cap at any point this season. It could still come in handy though...

Simply Red
07-24-2018, 08:45 AM
what's the plan with West? I mean what would we get for him, anything?

pugsnotdrugs19
07-24-2018, 08:46 AM
We should be right up near $8M in cap space now. Plenty to go into the season with.

Breeland would change that though.

TLO
07-24-2018, 08:51 AM

We might get 2 football's and a pack of Big League Chew for him in a trade.

BryanBusby
07-24-2018, 08:51 AM
I don't see Breeland signing here because I don't think they will break the bank.

ptlyon
07-24-2018, 08:55 AM
We might get 2 football's and a pack of Big League Chew for him in a trade.

F that. We go for natty ice around here.

RunKC
07-24-2018, 09:02 AM
We should be right up near $8M in cap space now. Plenty to go into the season with.

Breeland would change that though.

Zombo and West give us about $3 million back to the cap.

Simply Red
07-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Thank you - that's very sweet of them!

The Franchise
07-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Add in Sorensen and we're at $5.2 million in extra cap space.

sedated
07-24-2018, 09:09 AM

IMHO he seems very likely to be cut

Simply Red
07-24-2018, 09:11 AM
IMHO he seems very likely to be cut

thanks, I figured.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-24-2018, 09:11 AM
We shouldn’t need Sorensen. Not unless Watts is a true brokedick.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2018, 09:13 AM
I don't see Breeland signing here because I don't think they will break the bank.

If anyone was willing to break the bank, he'd have signed by now.

Breeland's market just doesn't seem to be coming together. If they offered him 2/$10 million total with a signing bonus of $4 million and a base of $2 million this year ($4 million next), I'm betting he'd take it. That would hardly be breaking the bank for a guy that can start out wide.

ChiefGator
07-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Breeland's market just doesn't seem to be coming together. If they offered him 2/$10 million total with a signing bonus of $4 million and a base of $2 million this year ($4 million next), I'm betting he'd take it. That would hardly be breaking the bank for a guy that can start out wide.

Honestly, you could make it look like a three or four year deal, as long as we could get out after two easily. Let him save a little face.

BryanBusby
07-24-2018, 09:20 AM

Nobody was spending anything until his foot aids were sorted out, which they now seem to be?

Maybe he has to take a prove it kind of deal, but playing for werthers originals probably isn't the greatest boost for future value.

RealSNR
07-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Something I wouldn't be surprised to see happen:

We sign Breeland and end up trading one of the other CBs, which includes Amerson.

It might be one of those late-round pick swap trades, but I'd be fine with that.

O.city
07-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Something I wouldn't be surprised to see happen:

We sign Breeland and end up trading one of the other CBs, which includes Amerson.

It might be one of those late-round pick swap trades, but I'd be fine with that.

Maybe Nelson. IIRC, they were trying to trade him at one point.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-24-2018, 10:43 AM
I wouldn’t trade any of our corners unless they are planning to cut them anyways. We need depth at all positions to go deep in the playoffs, and especially at CB where so many guys play.

Chief Northman
07-24-2018, 11:30 AM
I wouldn’t trade any of our corners unless they are planning to cut them anyways. We need depth at all positions to go deep in the playoffs, and especially at CB where so many guys play.

Yes. If the Bashaud Breeland signing happens that boosts the secondary depth immensely.

I worry more about Safety however. Not a fan of Watts and Sorenson and Murray leave a lot to be desired. I can’t see Golden or McQuay being big role players either. There remain a couple “name” safeties in UFA but I am not sure if they are system/culture fits. Maybe Veach will look closely at camp cuts....

RealSNR
07-24-2018, 11:45 AM

I was talking about any of the CBs, really. If the young guys who are on the team are as good as the team apparently thought they could be, and they prove it in training camp and preseason, we will probably be cutting guys who will find jobs with other teams.

If we sign Breeland:

Fuller
Breeland
Amerson
Nelson

Those are the vets who are currently projected to stick around. That leaves ONE more spot (maybe two) to be fought over by:

Tremon Smith
Keith Reaser
Will Redmond
Arrion Springs

Only Keith Reaser is not practice squad eligible.

That's going to be an interesting camp battle to watch in preseason.

Mecca
07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
I was talking about any of the CBs, really. If the young guys who are on the team are as good as the team apparently thought they could be, and they prove it in training camp and preseason, we will probably be cutting guys who will find jobs with other teams.

If we sign Breeland:

Fuller
Breeland
Amerson
Nelson

Those are the vets who are currently projected to stick around. That leaves ONE more spot (maybe two) to be fought over by:

Tremon Smith
Keith Reaser
Will Redmond
Arrion Springs

Only Keith Reaser is not practice squad eligible.

That's going to be an interesting camp battle to watch in preseason.

Smith would have the advantage in that but the thing to think about is would they possibly cut Murry/Sorenson to carry an extra CB provided any of them have safety experience?

RealSNR
07-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Smith would have the advantage in that but the thing to think about is would they possibly cut Murry/Sorenson to carry an extra CB provided any of them have safety experience?

I don't think any of them have safety experience, and the cuts at safety are going to be tough enough as it is. Besides Berry, everybody is around the same ability level. That will be another really interesting battle to watch. Everything from one starting spot to the bottom of the depth chart is up for grabs and could be won by anybody.

loochy
07-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Cut one of our million RBs before we cut a safety. CJ Spiller is always waiting and ready if we need him in an emergency.

Mecca
07-24-2018, 01:30 PM
I assume they'll only carry 3 RBs, I was honestly thinking the other day this team may only carry 2 QB's.

sedated
07-24-2018, 01:47 PM
I assume they'll only carry 3 RBs

Including Sherman?

Mecca
07-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Including Sherman?

Well 4 if you count him, I do think they may only carry 2 QB's.

jjchieffan
07-24-2018, 02:28 PM

Maybe so. Get McGloin through camp so that he's somewhat familiar with the offense, then cut him loose. He probably won't be picked up by anyone, so he will likely be waiting by the phone if, gid forbid, Mahomes goes down. I like the idea of that.

JakeF
07-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Interesting.

^

BossChief
07-24-2018, 08:42 PM

No doubt they will only carry 2 QBs. The udfa kid on the PS.

They have too much young talent they have time/resource investment in.