PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink POll: When you buy groceries, what do you use?

Trivers
07-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Yesterday, went to the small town grocery store in the town where I work to purchase THREE items needed for the chocolate factory.

ALL the human cashier lines were packed, the "15 items or less" line was backed up 7 people, and not a single self-checkout line machine in sight!! ^%$@$!

Both the grocery store and walmart in the town where I live have them there new fangled machines where I can have 50 items, scan them myself, and be done in 5 minutes.

No, I don't want to interact with a cashier, then have them process my CC, then have them bag my groceries. None are cute. I just want to do it myself and LEAVE.

Haven't tried the online ordering and pickup process yet for Walmart.

What about you? Human, machine, or online?

TLO
07-29-2018, 04:59 PM
I typically bag my own. Depends on how many items I have though

SuperBowl4
07-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Humans, I'm old school

banecat
07-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Humans. But I don't think that they're actually humans. They're failed attempts at robot production

Chief Roundup
07-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Fuck self checkouts. They are just a way for the companies to cut jobs to increase profits that are already ridiculous, WalMart.
I use the regular checkout with people to help insure that they have a job.

Mephistopheles Janx
07-29-2018, 05:16 PM
humans. If they gave me a percentage off my groceries to do my own scanning and bagging then I would use those machines.

I hate them because:

https://i.imgur.com/zWtvzOJ.jpg

Coochie liquor
07-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Self checkout. Real people are usually too slow and chatty. I’m at the store trying to get home, not hearing your life story, or whatever. The only exception is if the cashier is empty and an attractive female...

Rain Man
07-29-2018, 05:23 PM
We don't have much choice at my store. Most of the time it's just the manual checkouts, though in busier times they'll have cashiers. It's way faster to use the manual ones even when the cashiers are there.

RINGLEADER
07-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Order online and they deliver.

Fish
07-29-2018, 05:31 PM
I keep seeing silly people on Facebook making a big deal about only using cashier lines with people in them because they think that will make giant corporations employ more people. LOL... As if the number of people in the checkout line matters to them. Corporations don't give a single shit about employing more people if it isn't cost effective. They'll let dozens of people stand in line pissed off and open more self checkouts. You're not influencing anything other than your own stress level.

banecat
07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
**** self checkouts. They are just a way for the companies to cut jobs to increase profits that are already ridiculous, WalMart.
I use the regular checkout with people to help insure that they have a job.

True. Might as well use them while they still have them until they no longer do. It's forced interaction, and nice when it works out. It's becoming less and less. The Blockbuster thread had me thinking on this about how we're all just using devices instead of people anymore. Plus I work somewhere else all day, and I'm not doing a store's job for them like a few other posters have stated too, unless there's a discount in it for me

srvy
07-29-2018, 05:35 PM
I try to always find a cashier. If I have beer its a pain in the ass waiting for the person to ok the sale while they bail out three others that have made a scanning mistake.

I will look for the oldest cashier and wait my turn. Sometimes I get burned and the person is new and hasnt received a liquor permit yet. The red light goes off and its a waiting game while others behind you are impatient toe tapping and giving angry stares with others bailing altogether.

banecat
07-29-2018, 05:36 PM
I keep seeing silly people on Facebook making a big deal about only using cashier lines with people in them because they think that will make giant corporations employ more people. LOL... As if the number of people in the checkout line matters to them. Corporations don't give a single shit about employing more people if it isn't cost effective. They'll let dozens of people stand in line pissed off and open more self checkouts. You're not influencing anything other than your own stress level.

It confuses old people

Monkey God
07-29-2018, 05:39 PM
Depends where I am and what/how much I'm getting so I use both. (didn't vote because that's not an option).

tmax63
07-29-2018, 05:45 PM
The war department takes care of this part of the household but she does the online thing and they put it in the car for about 90% of our stuff. I get to carry it in the house for her. A few items she won't let them do like fruit and things that only "she" can pick out "good" ones. We split about 50/50 on self vs human checkout.

srvy
07-29-2018, 05:48 PM

No more silly that using farcebook to read about people and how they checkout while shopping. :D

HemiEd
07-29-2018, 05:52 PM
I refuse to use those self checkout lines and increase the company bottom line while it puts someone out of a job.

If I wanted to check myself out I would just order on line.

RippedmyFlesh
07-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Online and delivered to my door. Always self scan when in person. Used to program and support point of sale systems I can handle scanning a few items.

vailpass
07-29-2018, 06:05 PM
I try to always find a cashier. If I have beer its a pain in the ass waiting for the person to ok the sale while they bail out three others that have made a scanning mistake.

I will look for the oldest cashier and wait my turn. Sometimes I get burned and the person is new and hasnt received a liquor permit yet. The red light goes off and its a waiting game while others behind you are impatient toe tapping and giving angry stares with others bailing altogether.

I like your shopping priorities. This is a well thought out approach.

Third Eye
07-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Single worst part about moving back to KC? None of the grocery stores around me have self-checkout.

alpha_omega
07-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Gaz.

I think my wife uses A,B and C depending on the situation. I don’t do any of it (thank goodness).

TrebMaxx
07-29-2018, 06:26 PM
You need another option for the poll "What ever is the shortest line" because that is what I would vote for.

HemiEd
07-29-2018, 06:41 PM

Horse shit.

Right now Walmart is fighting for their lives against Amazon and are doing whatever they can to make the in store shopping experience better.

I know this for a fact from my "sources."

Self check out has not gone over well in our area and they have significantly more "live cashiers" recently.

For a while they were trying to force self check out, not anymore.

Have you noticed an increase of employees asking if they can help you? I have.

I recently ordered a small tv from them on line for store pickup. I had three employees simultaneously trying to help me.

Spott
07-29-2018, 06:50 PM
Human cashiers, but I don't think that Trader Joe's or Whole Foods has self checkout.

Hamwallet
07-29-2018, 07:23 PM
I buy a lot of produce and self checkout sucks for that.

Randallflagg
07-29-2018, 07:35 PM
I don't believe in going to the grocery, picking out my groceries, taking them to the front, checking them out myself, bagging them myself and then carrying them to my car myself. What's next? Going in every evening to stock the shelves for them?

I don't believe in taking jobs from humans…..

stevieray
07-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Never underestimate being in tight with the cashiers at the grocery store.

Or so my wife tells me. They all know her.

BryanBusby
07-29-2018, 07:37 PM
I'd rather have a catheter covered with MSRA shoved up my dickhole than use the self checkouts at the nearest PC.

Fuck those goddamn pieces of shit.

Fish
07-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Horse shit.

Right now Walmart is fighting for their lives against Amazon and are doing whatever they can to make the in store shopping experience better.

I know this for a fact from my "sources."

Self check out has not gone over well in our area and they have significantly more "live cashiers" recently.

For a while they were trying to force self check out, not anymore.

Have you noticed an increase of employees asking if they can help you? I have.

I recently ordered a small tv from them on line for store pickup. I had three employees simultaneously trying to help me.

Walmart isn't fighting for their lives. Don't be ridiculous. They've actually experienced growth this year in every category: https://news.walmart.com/2018/02/20/walmart-us-q4-comps1-grew-26-and-walmart-us-ecommerce-sales-grew-23-walmart-us-full-year-comps1-grew-21-and-walmart-us-ecommerce-sales-grew-44-fiscal-year-2018-gaap-eps-of-328-adjusted-eps2-of-442

Self checkout is only going to increase because profit will always trump customer preference in a corporate environment.

HemiEd
07-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Walmart isn't fighting for their lives. Don't be ridiculous. They've actually experienced growth this year in every category: https://news.walmart.com/2018/02/20/walmart-us-q4-comps1-grew-26-and-walmart-us-ecommerce-sales-grew-23-walmart-us-full-year-comps1-grew-21-and-walmart-us-ecommerce-sales-grew-44-fiscal-year-2018-gaap-eps-of-328-adjusted-eps2-of-442

Self checkout is only going to increase because profit will always trump customer preference in a corporate environment.

Window dressing numbers. Their E Commerce was zip, so it is growing at HUGE rate when compared to zip.

Their average annual growth rate is 5.85 percent! Your article says 2.1 this year!

You have any idea what that means at their level? How many dollars that is?

Sears, K-Mart and Montgomery Wards were once high and mighty, not so much anymore.

Trust me, they are fighting for their lives and they know it.

It sounds like a lot of people on this site prefer to check out themselves, not the norm.

Also, Walmart is getting fleeced by thieves at the self checkout and they know it, another issue.

TinyEvel
07-29-2018, 08:03 PM
The Home Depot in our neighborhood is pretty much 100 percent self-checkout now. And it's a @*%&#ing disaster. Maybe it works for groceries, but with shit like bulk bolts and odd size items and building materials it's a mess. Plus the quality (lack of) with the people working the front, or at least in this location, they act like you are stupid and are reluctant to help you.

HemiEd
07-29-2018, 08:21 PM
The Home Depot in our neighborhood is pretty much 100 percent self-checkout now. And it's a @*%&#ing disaster. Maybe it works for groceries, but with shit like bulk bolts and odd size items and building materials it's a mess. Plus the quality (lack of) with the people working the front, or at least in this location, they act like you are stupid and are reluctant to help you.

That is my favorite store and I have tried using their self checkout. Not anymore, fuck that.

You are right, it makes no sense for their products.

The store I go to in Branson has at least two live bodies at the registers when I have been there lately.

Rain Man
07-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Human cashiers, but I don't think that Trader Joe's or Whole Foods has self checkout.

Now that you mention it, neither of those had self-checkout in my neighborhood either. I just don't shop there very often.

BryanBusby
07-29-2018, 08:28 PM

They will be eventually.

Eleazar
07-29-2018, 09:18 PM
I use the self checkout unless I have a whole cartful of stuff. Then I use a human cashier.

I try to avoid the places that make you bag your own but it seems to be the trend around here.

BigRedChief
07-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Poll fail

I order through an app and they deliver the groceries.

Strongside
07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Usually money.

skybbc
07-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Ordered online and got them shortly.

BWillie
07-29-2018, 10:07 PM
Humans, I'm old school

This. It's the least work out of anything. If any service ever comes along that I can buy perishables AND dry grocery to deliver it to my home with a drone for free. Well, I'll be all in then.

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2018, 04:08 AM
Walmart pickup is da bomb.

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2018, 04:11 AM
If anyone wants to try out Walmart Pickup, use this link to get a $10 off referral (full disclosure, I also get $10 off).

Enjoy $10 off your first order from Walmart Grocery.
http://r.wmt.co/htP0k

loochy
07-30-2018, 04:53 AM
I use whatever line is shortest. If humans have no wait, I go there. If machines have no wait, I go there.

Diaclaimer - composition of the line constituents also plays a large role in my choice. Never get behind old people (in either line). They can never figure out how to pay and they don't get out tbeir payment method until presented with the total, at which point they act surprised.

Also, never get behind Mexican women. They buy endless sets of children's clothing for which the tags are difficult to find, even for cashiers. Then they insist on paying in cash with small bills or coins.

Finally, avoid getting behind white trash. They are the kings of coupons, expired coupons, and price matching. Also, their EBT and WIC card transactions are fraught with errors.

HemiEd
07-30-2018, 05:22 AM
I use whatever line is shortest. If humans have no wait, I go there. If machines have no wait, I go there.

Diaclaimer - composition of the line constituents also plays a large role in my choice. Never get behind old people (in either line). They can never figure out how to pay and they don't get out tbeir payment method until presented with the total, at which point they act surprised.

Also, never get behind Mexican women. They buy endless sets of children's clothing for which the tags are difficult to find, even for cashiers. Then they insist on paying in cash with small bills or coins.

Finally, avoid getting behind white trash. They are the kings of coupons, expired coupons, and price matching. Also, their EBT and WIC card transactions are fraught with errors.

You make some really good points. Old ladies that still write checks make my skin crawl and I want to stab them in the face.

However, some might consider us old and my Mrs always has her chip debit card in the machine before the stuff is even wrung up.

Like you, I have learned to try and avoid getting behind anyone that has clothing in their cart. A couple weeks ago, a guy was buying several shirts just like the one he was wearing but in the complete rainbow of colors. He and the cashier were having a good old conversation about it.

Must quite a story behind it.

loochy
07-30-2018, 06:16 AM
You make some really good points. Old ladies that still write checks make my skin crawl and I want to stab them in the face.

However, some might consider us old and my Mrs always has her chip debit card in the machine before the stuff is even wrung up.

Like you, I have learned to try and avoid getting behind anyone that has clothing in their cart. A couple weeks ago, a guy was buying several shirts just like the one he was wearing but in the complete rainbow of colors. He and the cashier were having a good old conversation about it.

Must quite a story behind it.

It's not so much the checks that bother me, it's the fact that they wait around to start writing anything on the check until they get the total. They coud easily fill out the date, payable to, signature and get out their DL while they wait for the cashier to ring stuff up.

Well, I'm guessing that if you are aware enough to be on top of your payment method then you probably also appear to "be with the program." I probably wouldn't mind being in line behind you.

DaFace
07-30-2018, 08:20 AM
I find it amusing that people are suggesting that it's the self-checkouts at WALMART that are going to put people out of jobs. If you cared about that, you wouldn't be shopping at Walmart in the first place.

banecat
07-30-2018, 08:27 AM
I find it amusing that people are suggesting that it's the self-checkouts at WALMART that are going to put people out of jobs. If you cared about that, you wouldn't be shopping at Walmart in the first place.

Ha. Good point. And like ReTarget would be any better. If Target could be Wally World they'd do it and probably not that much different either

DaFace
07-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Ha. Good point. And like ReTarget would be any better. If Target could be Wally World they'd do it and probably not that much different eitherTrue, but the thing about Walmart is that their value proposition is almost entirely built on low prices. How does a company keep prices low? By looking for ways to cut costs.

You know, like implementing self check outs.

It's just completely contradictory to shop at the place because they're cheap and then act like you don't like them for taking steps to be cheaper.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-30-2018, 08:36 AM
we generally use Dillons Click List. And I see they now have scan and go in the store by us, so when I don't I will likely use that.

banecat
07-30-2018, 08:46 AM
True, but the thing about Walmart is that their value proposition is almost entirely built on low prices. How does a company keep prices low? By looking for ways to cut costs.

It's just completely contradictory to shop at the place because they're cheap and then act like you don't like them for taking steps to be cheaper.

Yes, and all of the people that think by going through Amazon instead of Wally World that they're being more ethical. From what I've heard about Amazon is that they run a lot like them as far as employee wages and treatment of labor. Neither has one good sized competitor, but many smaller ones. You don't go to those chains for service. You go to a smaller place for that. The Whole Foods shopper has at least a thousand dollars per month in discretionary income, and are going to go somewhere that will wait in them hand and foot

loochy
07-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Yes, and all of the people that think by going through Amazon instead of Wally World that they're being more ethical. From what I've heard about Amazon is that they run a lot like them as far as employee wages and treatment of labor. Neither has one good sized competitor, but many smaller ones. You don't go to those chains for service. You go to a smaller place for that. The Whole Foods shopper has at least a thousand dollars per month in discretionary income, and are going to go somewhere that will wait in them hand and foot
Oh, that's why people use Amazon? LMAO.
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil
07-30-2018, 08:52 AM
I just steal shit.

Sorce
07-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Order online, pick it up on my way home from work.

Randallflagg
07-30-2018, 09:13 AM
True, but the thing about Walmart is that their value proposition is almost entirely built on low prices. How does a company keep prices low? By looking for ways to cut costs.

While I agree with the idea - it's not just Walmart. True - everyone else usually follows the lead of Walmart - but Price Chopper, Hy Vee, Dillons, Ralphs, et al have (or are) developing "self check out" options for shoppers. It has gotten to the point where you can go into a store (Target comes to mind) where they have 25 check out lanes with ONE actually working in the middle of the lines - but self check out at both ends of the store.

A friend of mine in Colorado was telling me about their stores (King Soopers) where they are now issuing "scanners" when you go into the store in order to "check out as you go" when shopping there. You pick your order, scan your order, bag your order, swipe your card and carry your order to your own car.

Again - how long before you have to stock the shelves for the damned store?

loochy
07-30-2018, 09:16 AM
A friend of mine in Colorado was telling me about their stores (King Soopers) where they are now issuing "scanners" when you go into the store in order to "check out as you go" when shopping there. You pick your order, scan your order, bag your order, swipe your card and carry your order to your own car.

Sounds great.

Don't be such a lazy bum.
Posted via Mobile Device

banecat
07-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Oh, that's why people use Amazon? LMAO.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, but I have heard more than a few make the claim that it helped them to stay away from evil Wally World

Randallflagg
07-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Sounds great.

Don't be such a lazy bum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Retirement will do that to you….. ROFL

DaFace
07-30-2018, 09:22 AM
While I agree with the idea - it's not just Walmart. True - everyone else usually follows the lead of Walmart - but Price Chopper, Hy Vee, Dillons, Ralphs, et al have (or are) developing "self check out" options for shoppers. It has gotten to the point where you can go into a store (Target comes to mind) where they have 25 check out lanes with ONE actually working in the middle of the lines - but self check out at both ends of the store.

Sure, I get that. I personally think that self-checkouts are great no matter where they are. I just thought it was funny that the most common example of them in this thread was Walmart.

Hell, for me, the best thing ever was when I tried out the Amazon Go store in Seattle. It'd be hard to scale it up, but you literally scan your phone when you walk in, grab whatever you want, and walk out the door. It sends you a receipt a few minutes later. It was glorious.

loochy
07-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Retirement will do that to you….. ROFL

Lol. Do you look for gas stations with a full service option?

I think if I retired I'd probably lose my continual urgency and get kinda lazy as well.

Randallflagg
07-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Sure, I get that. I personally think that self-checkouts are great no matter where they are. I just thought it was funny that the most common example of them in this thread was Walmart.

Hell, for me, the best thing ever was when I tried out the Amazon Go store in Seattle. It'd be hard to scale it up, but you literally scan your phone when you walk in, grab whatever you want, and walk out the door. It sends you a receipt a few minutes later. It was glorious.

Well, hell, since we are getting rid of all those low paying cashier jobs….let's make it where you walk into a (hell I don't know) a Red Robin and you take your own order, walk to the kitchen and cook it, then carry it to the table and eat it. Then your card is automatically charged when you leave the restaurant - AND! You can give yourself your own TIP!!

Ain't technology great? LMAO

Randallflagg
07-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Lol. Do you look for gas stations with a full service option?

I think if I retired I'd probably lose my continual urgency and get kinda lazy as well.

Doesn't really start off that way. The day I retired, I had all these "plans"…..after about 6 months I said "Screw that!"…..I got REAL familiar with my Lazy Boy…

We DO, however, take a LOT of "vacations"…..we have to decompress from all that "down time". ;)

DaFace
07-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Well, hell, since we are getting rid of all those low paying cashier jobs….let's make it where you walk into a (hell I don't know) a Red Robin and you take your own order, walk to the kitchen and cook it, then carry it to the table and eat it. Then your card is automatically charged when you leave the restaurant - AND! You can give yourself your own TIP!!

Are you implying that it's some sort of hassle to use a self check out? If you gave me a cashier with no one in line vs. a self check with no line, I'd take the self check every day. I'm faster than they are, can spot errors, and use far fewer bags than they do.

That's dramatically different than the difference between sitting and relaxing at a table vs. preparing food for myself.

Fish
07-30-2018, 09:56 AM

That sounds pretty awesome really. Huge assortment of fresh ingredients that I don't have to do anything with except cook? Hell yeah...

loochy
07-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Ideally, the food would be prepared and cooked by a machine. Cook the burger for the allotted time based on temperature, dispense the bun, dispense the condiments, place the burger on the bun.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
07-30-2018, 10:28 AM
It's not so much the checks that bother me, it's the fact that they wait around to start writing anything on the check until they get the total. They coud easily fill out the date, payable to, signature and get out their DL while they wait for the cashier to ring stuff up.

Well, I'm guessing that if you are aware enough to be on top of your payment method then you probably also appear to "be with the program." I probably wouldn't mind being in line behind you.

yeah, when your time is short you don't want to waste it in places like that!:D

I was ready to scream a while back when a lady did the very thing you describe. Fuck!!! She didn't even start fumbling through her purse for the checkbook until she had the total!
I think she must have been lonely and was enjoying the face to face time with the cashier.

HemiEd
07-30-2018, 10:30 AM

There really isn't a lot of choice when you live out here in the boonies, 30 miles from any other real option and their shit isn't as fresh.

When I lived in the Chicago area the only thing I bought at Walmart was oil.

JakeF
07-30-2018, 10:42 AM
Online is the best. All you have to do is slide into the pickup parking spot and they bring it out and load it in your car. Cush.

BigRedChief
07-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Online is the best. All you have to do is slide into the pickup parking spot and they bring it out and load it in your car. Cush.Or have them deliver it to your house. Ultra-Cush!

loochy
07-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Or have them deliver it to your house. Ultra-Cush!

Have them bring it to my house, cook it, and serve it to me bite by bite. Super-Duper-Ultra Cush!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
07-30-2018, 11:06 AM
I don't know what it is but lately the self checkouts at the Walmart/Walmart Grocery stores have been slow as fuck. Like I'm talking scan, hear the beep and then wait 30 seconds for it to register on the screen. Makes it aggravatingly slow to do self checkout. Still faster than a regular cashier though.

And I always do self checkout because we get charged for plastic bags in California. So I cram as much shit as I can in a bag.

BWillie
07-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Also, another thing that sucks about buying online. You have to dispose of boxes. Cut them down. Plastic bags are much easier to throw away.

Rain Man
07-30-2018, 11:21 AM
That sounds pretty awesome really. Huge assortment of fresh ingredients that I don't have to do anything with except cook? Hell yeah...

Has anyone tried the "meal prep" services like this? https://greenchef.com/home

loochy
07-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Also, another thing that sucks about buying online. You have to dispose of boxes. Cut them down. Plastic bags are much easier to throw away.

Hell yeah man! Fill up those landfills with non-biodegradable waste!
Posted via Mobile Device

banecat
07-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Hell yeah man! Fill up those landfills with non-biodegradable waste!
Posted via Mobile Device

How many tears will be shed by how many Indians? And please have your answer need a further response by me that'll enable me to type how again whilst mentioning Indians

loochy
07-30-2018, 11:39 AM
How many tears will be shed by how many Indians? And please have your answer need a further response by me that'll enable me to type how again whilst mentioning Indians

I don't give a damn about Indians. I care about seeing effing plastic bags all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
07-30-2018, 11:40 AM

We did Hello Fresh a few times.

I don't really get it. If I'm going to the trouble of all of that, I want it cooked too. If I still have to cook and clean up then what's the point?

banecat
07-30-2018, 11:44 AM
I don't give a damn about Indians. I care about seeing effing plastic bags all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure if the feeling's mutual between you and the Indians. But I'm sure that you'll both agree about the plastic bags everywhere. And I need to stay away from this place that has an issue with so many roaming plastic bags. I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with such an issue as of yet

Rain Man
07-30-2018, 11:47 AM
We did Hello Fresh a few times.

I don't really get it. If I'm going to the trouble of all of that, I want it cooked too. If I still have to cook and clean up then what's the point?

Yeah, I've had the same question about that concept. Maybe I should try it to see if I'm missing something. But I live a block from a grocery store, so unless it saves me a ton of prep time it seems like I could just download a recipe and go buy the ingredients.

Fish
07-30-2018, 11:48 AM

I've known many people who have tried it. But nobody seemed to last more than a month or so with it. I think it just comes back to the motivation factor. If you're too lazy to take 30 minutes to drive to the store and get ingredients, you're probably too lazy to stick with something like this. Plus it's usually more pricey and you still have to clean up.

loochy
07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if the feeling's mutual between you and the Indians. But I'm sure that you'll both agree about the plastic bags everywhere. And I need to stay away from this place that has an issue with so many roaming plastic bags. I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with such an issue as of yet

It's not as bad in places that have trees, like Missouri....but in places like Texas the wind just blows them all over the damn place.
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2018, 12:15 PM
I source the vast majority of my food so usually there are people.

Stewie
07-30-2018, 12:42 PM
I do 85% of my grocery shopping at Aldi. They only have cashiers, but damn they're fast.

Other shopping is done at grocery stores for sale items. I usually don't have much, so I go through the 12 items or less line.

loochy
07-30-2018, 12:48 PM
I do 85% of my grocery shopping at Aldi. They only have cashiers, but damn they're fast.

Other shopping is done at grocery stores for sale items. I usually don't have much, so I go through the 12 items or less line.

and I bet you get behind people with 25 items.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
07-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Bears and plastic bags. Man's biggest obstacles in the 21st Century.

banecat
07-30-2018, 01:08 PM
It's not as bad in places that have trees, like Missouri....but in places like Texas the wind just blows them all over the damn place.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're lucky. You don't have to worry about the trees being misused, and those Comet Pizza bastards pulling their shit with trafficking and the like

banecat
07-30-2018, 01:09 PM

Polar Bears are no joke. They're heading south for some reason. One had to be shot the other day again

HemiEd
07-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Don't forget plastic straws, they are the devil.

BlackHelicopters
07-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Online only. Let them load.

KChiefs1
07-30-2018, 02:04 PM
A cashier, a cart & a credit card.

Randallflagg
07-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Are you implying that it's some sort of hassle to use a self check out? If you gave me a cashier with no one in line vs. a self check with no line, I'd take the self check every day. I'm faster than they are, can spot errors, and use far fewer bags than they do.

That's dramatically different than the difference between sitting and relaxing at a table vs. preparing food for myself.

I'm not implying anything. Shoot, if you want to use self check out - go for it. What I notice is the young lady or man standing at the end of the self check out line watching you do the work while he/she gets paid.

I also see check out lines that are closed. I see express lines closed. I see employees standing around doing absolutely nothing while I am doing (what should be) their jobs.

So I guess what I am implying is fairly straight forward. If I am going to do the job of the store employees - I should be getting their respective pay checks. OR - the stores would ostensibly lower their prices by 35% to pay for the customer to replace their employees.

Sound fair to you? If you are willing to do THEIR jobs, so be it. Have at it. :thumb:

loochy
07-30-2018, 03:25 PM
I'm not implying anything. Shoot, if you want to use self check out - go for it. What I notice is the young lady or man standing at the end of the self check out line watching you do the work while he/she gets paid.

I also see check out lines that are closed. I see express lines closed. I see employees standing around doing absolutely nothing while I am doing (what should be) their jobs.

So I guess what I am implying is fairly straight forward. If I am going to do the job of the store employees - I should be getting their respective pay checks. OR - the stores would ostensibly lower their prices by 35% to pay for the customer to replace their employees.

Sound fair to you? If you are willing to do THEIR jobs, so be it. Have at it. :thumb:

...but that's NOT the job of the store employee. The job of the store employee is to make sure people aren't stealing and assist dumb people with the self checkout machine (or enter a special code so I can buy glue or spray paint). The other employees aren't supposed to be cashiers....otherwise they'd be cashiers. They are probably supposed to be cleaning, zoning, or helping customers but are just being lazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby
07-30-2018, 05:06 PM
I don't know what it is but lately the self checkouts at the Walmart/Walmart Grocery stores have been slow as fuck. Like I'm talking scan, hear the beep and then wait 30 seconds for it to register on the screen. Makes it aggravatingly slow to do self checkout. Still faster than a regular cashier though.

And I always do self checkout because we get charged for plastic bags in California. So I cram as much shit as I can in a bag.
They are slow. I try to be quick about doing self checkouts, so a few items end up not scanning and I don't even notice until I scan the receipt after I put everything away.

I'm not driving back to help them because they have shit balls systems.

The not WM check outs around here make you wait for an employee, usually off somewhere fucking talking, to hit a button after every bag you remove. It's fucking beyond stupid that some store is actively punishing you for buying more stuff.

I try to avoid going there.

BigRedChief
07-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Also, another thing that sucks about buying online. You have to dispose of boxes. Cut them down. Plastic bags are much easier to throw away.they bring my groceries to my house in the reusable bags.

jgk1982
07-31-2018, 02:32 AM
Old school cashiers.