PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Griddles

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180729/521553ec8e3d941f4f79ffeffaf31acf.jpg

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.

Dayze
07-31-2018, 11:16 AM
that's an awesome idea / add to the backyard. I would love to get something like that.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:22 AM
that's an awesome idea / add to the backyard. I would love to get something like that.

It was a lot of fun. Hot, but fun. I need a roof over my patio.

dirk digler
07-31-2018, 11:25 AM
I got the same exact one on Prime Day and finally fired it up on Sunday. I love it and won't go back to my hardly used grill anytime soon. I made hibachi chicken and ribeye steak as well.

loochy
07-31-2018, 11:26 AM
When I get rich, I'm putting a hibachi / table in my kitchen, complete with the little hole in the corner to put my waste into.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:31 AM
I got the same exact one on Prime Day and finally fired it up on Sunday. I love it and won't go back to my hardly used grill anytime soon. I made hibachi chicken and ribeye steak as well.

That Prime Day deal was what I got. My mom bought it for me for my 40th birthday.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:32 AM
When I get rich, I'm putting a hibachi / table in my kitchen, complete with the little hole in the corner to put my waste into.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, if I ever build a house, I'll have a big ass griddle like that with a bomb-ass vent hood.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Here was the results of my first cook:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180729/76fb7e3d9f964f31bb76ac757d89f103.jpg

Mixed veg - farmers market squash, carrots sliced 1/8” on the mandoline, sliced mushrooms, and onions. Medium grain rice cooked in the rice cooker with butter. KC strip.

I heated first burner to low, two center burners to medium high, and fourth burner off. Next time, I might go med-high on the two left, then low, then off to get better heat zones.

I set up with a damp rag, safflower oil, sesame oil, sake, and garlic butter, with all my ingredients prepped.

I started with the oil and onions. Once they were sautéed, moved them into two piles to the low side. Dumped in the rice and mixed in one pile of onions and green onions, seasoned with furikake rice seasoning. Tossed that for a few minutes, added a hunk of garlic butter and let that melt in before moving that to the low side of the griddle where the bottom could get crispy.

Next, I dumped all the veg into the middle and added the second pile of onions. About this time, I put the steak in the center back of the griddle to start searing. I tossed the veg with garlic butter, doused with sake, and tossed for a minute or so, then moved everything to the off side.

Finished up the steak on both sides and sliced, more garlic butter.

Then I moved everything in its turn to the center and tossed everything with soy sauce. I moved everything to the tray as I got it done.

Next time, I'm going to add some house seasoning to the mix (salt, pepper, garlic powder). Everything was a little under seasoned, even though I used the full-salt soy sauce.

Simply Red
07-31-2018, 11:50 AM
you have GOT to get some shaved ribeyes and do up a philly!

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 11:51 AM
you have GOT to get some shaved ribeyes and do up a philly!

That's on my list!

Simply Red
07-31-2018, 11:52 AM
That's on my list!

Nice - that thing is sweet!

ptlyon
07-31-2018, 11:52 AM
Get some scrapple on there, fry it up, then throw it over there in the corner where a racoon will eat it

Buehler445
07-31-2018, 11:55 AM
How hot does it get? Can you use that to sear instead of cast iron?

dirk digler
07-31-2018, 11:58 AM
That Prime Day deal was what I got. My mom bought it for me for my 40th birthday.

It was a great deal I thought. I am going to make diner\smash hamburgers tonight I think and cook those on med-high to high with some grilled onions. It should only take a few minutes :)

dirk digler
07-31-2018, 11:59 AM

They said max is 560 F I believe

ModSocks
That's nice.

But can you make MCGRIDDLES on there? Hrmmm? Mr. fancy pants.

Fire Me Boy!

Top temp I got over the weekend was 503F during preheat. Their website says top temp is 560F, I think. Definitely can sear.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 12:00 PM
It was a great deal I thought. I am going to make diner\smash hamburgers tonight I think and cook those on med-high to high with some grilled onions. It should only take a few minutes :)

If it hadn't been gifted, I'd have bought one. Thankfully she told my wife, who convinced me to wait.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-31-2018, 12:01 PM
Girdles spin off thread in 3...2...

Fish
07-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Girdles spin off thread in 3...2...

I looked for a pic of a fat guy in a girdle to post as a joke. But that got too weird and I abandoned the search...

Buehler445
07-31-2018, 12:07 PM
I looked for a pic of a fat guy in a girdle to post as a joke. But that got too weird and I abandoned the search...

LOL

http://m.memegen.com/1gx5t4.jpg

mlyonsd
07-31-2018, 12:24 PM
I would love to cook a breakfast for 20 on that some tailgate morning.

dj56dt58
07-31-2018, 12:25 PM
so are you going to invite us over for a cookout or what?

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 12:28 PM
so are you going to invite us over for a cookout or what?

Sure. Who's up for a road trip to Alabama?

dj56dt58
07-31-2018, 12:32 PM

Your not gonna fly us down? Cheap bastard

mlyonsd
07-31-2018, 12:55 PM

The flatop has wheels.

patteeu
07-31-2018, 01:13 PM

I'm packing my bags. How's the weather in Alabama this time of the year?

Buehler445
07-31-2018, 01:18 PM

Talk to me in November. July + Alabama = Dead fucking Buehler445.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 01:22 PM
I'm packing my bags. How's the weather in Alabama this time of the year?

Hot as balls.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Talk to me in November. July + Alabama = Dead ****ing Buehler445.

August + Alabama is worse.

Buehler445
07-31-2018, 01:28 PM
August + Alabama is worse.

Accordingly, we need to talk in November.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2018, 01:29 PM
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.

Got one a month or so ago.

I !@#$ing LOVE that thing. Use it probably once a week but yeah, smashburgers are absolutely nails on it.

Your heat won't really run into the mid 500s until you start to get it seasoned better. I have no answer as to why. I also got some galvanized gutter flashing and built 'wind blocks' from it that block the gap between the table top and the base. I just bent the bottoms over and drilled holes in them, then put the pegs from the table through them. Be careful though - if you do that and don't have enough circulation, you can get north of 600 and maybe damage the top (I melted my electric starter). Just monitor with an infrared closely and you'll figure out how your rig behaves soon enough.

I've done fajitas, smashburgers, stir fry, breakfast (burritos and just general bacon/eggs) and philly cheese steaks on them. I figure it'll be a great finishing unit for a sous vide sirloin but haven't actually used it for that yet.

I took it to a buddy's ranch and we cooked for 30 people on it for the week. I sold 4 of those things while we were up there; my buddy, his dad, my father in law and my dad all bought one within 2 weeks of seeing them in action.

I pretty much stole mine; sale price, coupon and floor model so I got the whole smash full assembled for $160.00 but hell, even their list price of $250 is a steal. Anybody that enjoys cooking really needs one of those blackstones - they're just awesome.

Get a covermates ultima cover for them - expensive but they last forever. I'd also hit Etsy and find a stainless hard top for the actual table (unless you just take it inside between uses). The actual blackstone top has been sold out forever.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2018, 01:34 PM

Yes. And when you scrape the crud off (because it cooks on), make sure the scraper doesn't slip because then you'll also sear the shit out of your knuckles. Took 3 weeks for the tops of mine to finally heal.

They said max is 560 F I believe

It won't get there without a little work, IMO. Unless you're in a very still location and even then it took time for the seasoning to really give it that boost. I definitely wouldn't expect it cooler temperatures. Some people will add a 10 PSI regulator to it but frankly anything over 2 would turn the damn thing into a jet engine and almost certainly wreck your top.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2018, 01:38 PM
PS - Just buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Handle-Spatula-Cutlery/dp/B01N4EKI7N

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31opAbAsEKL._SX450_.jpg

Don't pay attention to the price and yes you can probably find one almost as good for less. You can probably find that one for less if you shop around. But you will NOT find a better one at any price. For smash burgers there is simply nothing better - it's robust, the handle doesn't retain heat and it has the surface area to keep burger from squishing out the sides. It's perfect and if you use it to start your smash and a bacon press on top of it with your other hand to finish it, you can rock through those things. I've found you can do about a dozen of them at a time with the right spacing and no regard for your own well-being.

EDIT: here - restaurant supply store has a better price on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mercer-culinary-m18290-hells-handle-high-heat-6-x-5-heavy-duty-square-edge-turner/470M18290.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdeozYvK3AIVRLnACh0pSQtJEAQYASABEgLkxPD_BwE

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Got one a month or so ago.

I !@#$ing LOVE that thing. Use it probably once a week but yeah, smashburgers are absolutely nails on it.

Your heat won't really run into the mid 500s until you start to get it seasoned better. I have no answer as to why. I also got some galvanized gutter flashing and built 'wind blocks' from it that block the gap between the table top and the base. I just bent the bottoms over and drilled holes in them, then put the pegs from the table through them. Be careful though - if you do that and don't have enough circulation, you can get north of 600 and maybe damage the top (I melted my electric starter). Just monitor with an infrared closely and you'll figure out how your rig behaves soon enough.

I've done fajitas, smashburgers, stir fry, breakfast (burritos and just general bacon/eggs) and philly cheese steaks on them. I figure it'll be a great finishing unit for a sous vide sirloin but haven't actually used it for that yet.

I took it to a buddy's ranch and we cooked for 30 people on it for the week. I sold 4 of those things while we were up there; my buddy, his dad, my father in law and my dad all bought one within 2 weeks of seeing them in action.

I pretty much stole mine; sale price, coupon and floor model so I got the whole smash full assembled for $160.00 but hell, even their list price of $250 is a steal. Anybody that enjoys cooking really needs one of those blackstones - they're just awesome.

Get a covermates ultima cover for them - expensive but they last forever. I'd also hit Etsy and find a stainless hard top for the actual table (unless you just take it inside between uses). The actual blackstone top has been sold out forever.

I was planning to build some kind of heat shield for the front. That sucker puts a lot of heat out from under the steel.

I've got a cover, and I'm gonna make a solid cover for the steel itself. They say they have their hard cover back in stock in 3-4 weeks.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2018, 02:34 PM
I was planning to build some kind of heat shield for the front. That sucker puts a lot of heat out from under the steel.

I've got a cover, and I'm gonna make a solid cover for the steel itself. They say they have their hard cover back in stock in 3-4 weeks.

I'd be careful about building a shield in the front - if it's not coming out and up, then its just staying in there and I think it will eventually damage your controls.

I intentionally left the front open as I want somewhere for the heat in the front to escape to.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 02:42 PM
PS - Just buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Handle-Spatula-Cutlery/dp/B01N4EKI7N

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31opAbAsEKL._SX450_.jpg

Don't pay attention to the price and yes you can probably find one almost as good for less. You can probably find that one for less if you shop around. But you will NOT find a better one at any price. For smash burgers there is simply nothing better - it's robust, the handle doesn't retain heat and it has the surface area to keep burger from squishing out the sides. It's perfect and if you use it to start your smash and a bacon press on top of it with your other hand to finish it, you can rock through those things. I've found you can do about a dozen of them at a time with the right spacing and no regard for your own well-being.

EDIT: here - restaurant supply store has a better price on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mercer-culinary-m18290-hells-handle-high-heat-6-x-5-heavy-duty-square-edge-turner/470M18290.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdeozYvK3AIVRLnACh0pSQtJEAQYASABEgLkxPD_BwE

I use a stainless steel trowel for my smashburgers. Works awesome.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
I'd be careful about building a shield in the front - if it's not coming out and up, then its just staying in there and I think it will eventually damage your controls.

I intentionally left the front open as I want somewhere for the heat in the front to escape to.

It would still escape out the sides and back.

Simply Red
07-31-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm basically blind - could you tell me what the max setting is regarding the surface temp? I'm thinking xmas present for the parents for sure!

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm basically blind - could you tell me what the max setting is regarding the surface temp? I'm thinking xmas present for the parents for sure!

They say it'll get to 560F. I had it over 500F on the weekend.

Simply Red
07-31-2018, 02:53 PM
They say it'll get to 560F. I had it over 500F on the weekend.

Oh that's good! Get some nice sears!

Thank you for your rapid reply and kind/courteous outline of its temperature capabilities. I appreciate it and it doesn't go unnoticed! My parents will love this in a few months!

DJ's left nut
07-31-2018, 03:02 PM
It would still escape out the sides and back.

But where it would 'pool' before rolling out would be the front.

I just did the back and sides, but by all means - give it a shot. It shouldn't be a problem unless you're running it hard for a long period of time.

Buzz
07-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Dang, you got all the cool toys, looks nice!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

scho63
07-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Here was the results of my first cook:

Dumped in the rice and mixed in one pile of onions and green onions, seasoned with furikake rice seasoning.

Next time try the Bukake sauce, a Japanese specialty! ROFL

lewdog
07-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Is this the third fucking thread you've posted a picture of this fucking griddle in???

Simply Red
07-31-2018, 08:28 PM
Is this the third ****ing thread you've posted a picture of this ****ing griddle in???

YOU CHILL OUT RIGHT NOW - he should! it's gorgeous!

Buzz
07-31-2018, 08:44 PM
I'll agree with Red, that's a nice rig. That being said, I miss my metal spatula, it broke but it was about a 40 year old hand me down. Gonna half to pick another one up but I preferd the thinner blade.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Is this the third fucking thread you've posted a picture of this fucking griddle in???

Yes, but I wanted more input from folks who may griddle.

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 07:42 AM
This looks awesome. What’s the weight of this griddle? I’m wanting one now. Curious if it would be easy to transport.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 07:48 AM
This looks awesome. What’s the weight of this griddle? I’m wanting one now. Curious if it would be easy to transport.

It's 100 lbs. plus. Amazon says 120. They make smaller models meant for travel, but they also made this to fold up and travel, too.

SuperBowl4
08-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Posted via Mobile DeviceChampagne wishes and caviar dreams

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 07:50 AM
It's 100 lbs. plus. Amazon says 120. They make smaller models meant for travel, but they also made this to fold up and travel, too.

Thanks. Does Amazon run deals on these? Your model looks to be $325 right now.

SuperBowl4
08-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Is this the third ****ing thread you've posted a picture of this ****ing griddle in???Jealous?

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Thanks. Does Amazon run deals on these? Your model looks to be $325 right now.

They're normally $250-$299. I got mine on a Prime Day deal for $199. Price appears to be up right now because even Blackstone is out of stock on several models.

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 07:58 AM
They're normally $250-$299. I got mine on a Prime Day deal for $199. Price appears to be up right now because even Blackstone is out of stock on several models.

Looks like I’m going to wait then.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Looks like I’m going to wait then.

You might check your local Walmarts. They sell them, too.

Buehler445
08-01-2018, 08:10 AM
God damn it, I need one of these like a hole in the head, but this needs to happen.

How hard are they to clean? Does the grease and shit just come off the front or that hole in the back wall?

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 08:20 AM
God damn it, I need one of these like a hole in the head, but this needs to happen.

How hard are they to clean? Does the grease and shit just come off the front or that hole in the back wall?

If you get it while it's hot (like while your protein rests), it's really easy to clean. Just some hot water, a scraper for anything stuck on, and re-season.

That hole in the back leads to a grease trap. We just pull that out and rinse it, then pop it in the dishwasher. The trap is pretty big, so it's good for like shrimp tails and whatnot, too.

Buehler445
08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
If you get it while it's hot (like while your protein rests), it's really easy to clean. Just some hot water, a scraper for anything stuck on, and re-season.

That hole in the back leads to a grease trap. We just pull that out and rinse it, then pop it in the dishwasher. The trap is pretty big, so it's good for like shrimp tails and whatnot, too.

Cool man. Thanks!

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Cool man. Thanks!

The version you're likely to find at Wal-Mart right now is slightly different. They have a grease trap on the right side and a channel in the front. So the larger pieces on that setup are a little more difficult to deal with but I prefer having that front channel to get grease into while I'm cooking.

He has the updated model that's been out for a month or so. For me personally that model would be a bit of a pain in the ass because the back of mine us up against the rail on my deck so the 'old' version was the way to go. I'd have to slide it out everytime I wanted to get to that grease trap. So depending on where you intend to set yours up, you may want to try to find the style with the right side grease catch and front channel.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 09:13 AM
The version you're likely to find at Wal-Mart right now is slightly different. They have a grease trap on the right side and a channel in the front. So the larger pieces on that setup are a little more difficult to deal with but I prefer having that front channel to get grease into while I'm cooking.

He has the updated model that's been out for a month or so. For me personally that model would be a bit of a pain in the ass because the back of mine us up against the rail on my deck so the 'old' version was the way to go. I'd have to slide it out everytime I wanted to get to that grease trap. So depending on where you intend to set yours up, you may want to try to find the style with the right side grease catch and front channel.

I've heard the reason for the redesign was the grease trap - that it doesn't work very well in the old model. I actually wanted the new model because I wanted the full vertical stop in the front.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 09:19 AM
I've heard the reason for the redesign was the grease trap - that it doesn't work very well in the old model. I actually wanted the new model because I wanted the full vertical stop in the front.

Yup - that's the only change.

The present trap has a quirk that needed correcting - the little 'nub' after the drain hole is too far back and not angled correctly so the grease will hit it and run backwards toward the front right leg. It makes a damn mess.

There are a dozen different fixes for it and they all work well. The simplest is probably just putting some JB Weld on it to make the nub larger and angled forward towards the trap. The laziest (and thus the one I chose) was just gutting the top off a beer can and putting it over the channel so it falls straight into the beer can.

My dad has the newest version and he kinda hates that vertical stop in the front but I can see plusses and minuses either way. Personally I think I'd prefer being able to take a direct line of attack towards anything on the front of the griddle rather than having to angle down or come from the sides, but having the larger rear opening to shovel the slag into would be nice as well.

Like I said - ultimately I just decided I'd prefer not have to deal with moving my grill out to get to the back anytime I needed to empty the trap.

One thing I really wish they'd have offered on them is a side-burner. I'm still contemplating taking the side burner off my present gas grill and rigging up the regulator to the Blackstone and bolting it on where the side table presently sits. Those side burners come in handy every now and then...

What did you do to put the paper towel rod in? I tear through papertowels trying to keep the utensils in decent working order and everything goes so fast you can't really run inside and grab more. Having a whole roll on a rod would be nice.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Yup - that's the only change.

The present trap has a quirk that needed correcting - the little 'nub' after the drain hole is too far back and not angled correctly so the grease will hit it and run backwards toward the front right leg. It makes a damn mess.

There are a dozen different fixes for it and they all work well. The simplest is probably just putting some JB Weld on it to make the nub larger and angled forward towards the trap. The laziest (and thus the one I chose) was just gutting the top off a beer can and putting it over the channel so it falls straight into the beer can.

My dad has the newest version and he kinda hates that vertical stop in the front but I can see plusses and minuses either way. Personally I think I'd prefer being able to take a direct line of attack towards anything on the front of the griddle rather than having to angle down or come from the sides, but having the larger rear opening to shovel the slag into would be nice as well.

Like I said - ultimately I just decided I'd prefer not have to deal with moving my grill out to get to the back anytime I needed to empty the trap.

One thing I really wish they'd have offered on them is a side-burner. I'm still contemplating taking the side burner off my present gas grill and rigging up the regulator to the Blackstone and bolting it on where the side table presently sits. Those side burners come in handy every now and then...

What did you do to put the paper towel rod in? I tear through papertowels trying to keep the utensils in decent working order and everything goes so fast you can't really run inside and grab more. Having a whole roll on a rod would be nice.

The rod came with it. We just installed it like the directions said.

I'm going to add a speed rail this weekend (not my pic). Will be a great addition for all the squeeze bottles and sauces.

Thinking about adding a magnetic knife strip somewhere for knives and utensils.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180801/08abeb27ef3c564d88bdc715aa29a856.png

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 10:05 AM

I'm going to add a speed rail this weekend (not my pic). Will be a great addition for all the squeeze bottles and sauces.

I’m going to need you to stop posting pictures of your griddle. You’re going to hurt my checking account.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 10:07 AM
That rail's a great idea. I presume Blackstone makes it?

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 10:14 AM
That rail's a great idea. I presume Blackstone makes it?

No, it's a mod I've seen. The one in the pic is a 32", which the guy said is a little small, but it's what he found.

I bought this: http://a.co/bLQFaB9. It's a 36" so should fit perfectly. I may have to drill through legs to install, but we'll figure it out.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 10:14 AM
I’m going to need you to stop posting pictures of your griddle. You’re going to hurt my checking account.

That one's not mine. :D

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 10:40 AM
That Blackstone was $325 on Amazon this morning and it’s now $299.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 10:43 AM
That Blackstone was $325 on Amazon this morning and it’s now $299.

The $299 is fairly normal price. You can sometimes find it for $247.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 10:57 AM
The $299 is fairly normal price. You can sometimes find it for $247.

Walmart always has it at $247 with free shipping. At least they did a couple of weeks ago.

dirk digler
08-01-2018, 11:06 AM

oh I like that rail...That would be perfect to have.

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Walmart always has it at $247 with free shipping. At least they did a couple of weeks ago.

They still have it for $247 but out of stock.

Hoopsdoc
08-01-2018, 12:18 PM
No, but I got me a fine wife and I got me ol fiddle.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Wife wants cheese steaks this weekend, so I guess I'm doing cheese steaks. Thin sliced ribeye, onions, peppers, and cheese. I may do one with steak, mushrooms, and cheese, with an au jus.

MahiMike
08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
I used to have one. Really liked it. Bit the dust after so many years though.

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Wife wants cheese steaks this weekend, so I guess I'm doing cheese steaks. Thin sliced ribeye, onions, peppers, and cheese. I may do one with steak, mushrooms, and cheese, with an au jus.

All I’ve done at work today is look up stuff for griddles. This is your fault.

Have you ever eaten at hibachi style places? They always put badass sauce on their hibachi. It’s more than just regular soy sauce. I’m trying to figure it out.

ptlyon
08-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Have you ever eaten at hibachi style places? They always put badass sauce on their hibachi. It’s more than just regular soy sauce. I’m trying to figure it out.

It's called jap sauce

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 02:51 PM

I have, and that was the first thing we did on it. The one we go to just uses soy and teriyaki, I think. I used soy and sake, but I think next time I'm going to throw in some teriyaki or oyster sauce.

Of everything I made, the veggies and the rice were good. The steak was pretty mediocre, but they were cheap steaks.

And the store-bought yum yum sauce is perfect.

ptlyon
08-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Don't forget fish sauce

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Genius Kitchen uses this as a sauce:

1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 02:57 PM
If I were making a sauce to put in the squirt bottle, I'd probably go 1/2 c. soy sauce, 2T rice wine vinegar or sake, but I already use both of those. I don't really want a thick sauce like the above recipe would create. Maybe on the protein, but not in the rice.

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 02:58 PM
I have, and that was the first thing we did on it. The one we go to just uses soy and teriyaki, I think. I used soy and sake, but I think next time I'm going to throw in some teriyaki or oyster sauce.

Of everything I made, the veggies and the rice were good. The steak was pretty mediocre, but they were cheap steaks.

And the store-bought yum yum sauce is perfect.

I bought a can of oyster sauce once. I was afraid to use it after smelling the foul odor coming from inside the can. My wife hates teriyaki so I might have to stick with just soy sauce.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 02:59 PM
I bought a can of oyster sauce once. I was afraid to use it after smelling the foul odor coming from inside the can. My wife hates teriyaki so I might have to stick with just soy sauce.

You could make a tare basting sauce. This looks kick ass.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tare-Soy-Basting-Sauce-395444

Dunit35
08-01-2018, 03:01 PM
You could make a tare basting sauce. This looks kick ass.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tare-Soy-Basting-Sauce-395444

I’ll add that to my sauce list.

I scored a $100 referral check from a local car dealership this afternoon. If that griddle price drops to $247 any time I’m going to jump on it.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 03:35 PM
If I were making a sauce to put in the squirt bottle, I'd probably go 1/2 c. soy sauce, 2T rice wine vinegar or sake, but I already use both of those. I don't really want a thick sauce like the above recipe would create. Maybe on the protein, but not in the rice.

Pretty hard to go wrong with soy and rice wine vinegar. Toss a little garlic in there and you're good to go.

Soy can complement just about any type of food extremely well, it's just dependent on the amount of it you use. That rich umami flavor it adds in small amounts makes just a basic steak savory as hell and it's amazing.

I use small amounts when I marinate fajita meat these days. It's just an outstanding complementary flavor in small doses and obviously does great for stir fries, etc... in larger amounts.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 03:37 PM

I did the same thing, man. I was looking for gas grill recommendations when the local sears was going out of business and taking 60% off of them. In the process I stumbled onto this thing and was immediately sold on it.

Spent 2 days talking myself into all the cool shit I could do on it and had one by the end of the week.

They really are awesome. They allow you to do things that you just can't do otherwise (unless you want to stank your house up; even then you can't do it as well).

I'm going to try flatbread pizza on it with my warming domes. My Kettlepizza is badass but takes some planning and time to get running well. If I could just knock out a quick NY style or flatbread pizza using the griddle and the dome, that sure would be easier...

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 03:40 PM

I hate sirloins but split a cow every year so I always have these massive bastards sitting around.

I took a sirloin and cooked it sous vide to 130 degrees for about 3 hours. I sliced it and tossed it on there for the cheesesteaks and they were outstanding. Maybe not my absolute best (because I didn't use ribeyes) but as a use for an otherwise bland, fairly useless hunk of meat - it was great.

I presume you have a pair of melting domes? They're great for the peppers/onions.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I hate sirloins but split a cow every year so I always have these massive bastards sitting around.

I took a sirloin and cooked it sous vide to 130 degrees for about 3 hours. I sliced it and tossed it on there for the cheesesteaks and they were outstanding. Maybe not my absolute best (because I didn't use ribeyes) but as a use for an otherwise bland, fairly useless hunk of meat - it was great.

I presume you have a pair of melting domes? They're great for the peppers/onions.

I have one dome. Probably need to pick up another soon.

My experience with sirloins in the sous vide has been outstanding. I don't even particularly like sirloin, but they work great in sous vide.

Costco has some prime sirloins I may try.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 03:51 PM
I did the same thing, man. I was looking for gas grill recommendations when the local sears was going out of business and taking 60% off of them. In the process I stumbled onto this thing and was immediately sold on it.

Spent 2 days talking myself into all the cool shit I could do on it and had one by the end of the week.

They really are awesome. They allow you to do things that you just can't do otherwise (unless you want to stank your house up; even then you can't do it as well).

I'm going to try flatbread pizza on it with my warming domes. My Kettlepizza is badass but takes some planning and time to get running well. If I could just knock out a quick NY style or flatbread pizza using the griddle and the dome, that sure would be easier...

I'm thinking of getting rid of my charcoal grill and kettle pizza. I enjoy it, I just don't ever use it. I can make a damn good pizza on a 500F steel in my oven, and it's more consistent. You really only need the kettle if you're doing those 3-minute Neapolitan-style pizzas where you need 700-800F.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking of getting rid of my charcoal grill and kettle pizza. I enjoy it, I just don't ever use it. I can make a damn good pizza on a 500F steel in my oven, and it's more consistent. You really only need the kettle if you're doing those 3-minute Neapolitan-style pizzas where you need 700-800F.

Yup, but I prefer that style. And it's more fun to do that when you have pizza parties.

About twice a year I'll have people to my house and I'll just lay out a few peels and some dough balls with a shitload of toppings and stuff. They make their pie, I cook it and then go get one from the next guy.

Yeah, if you're making just a basic ol' pizza it's hard to go wrong with a simple oven. You won't get as good a 'pop' as you could get from the kettle pizza but it's a lot easier.

If you really wanted to knock it out of the park I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put it on that 700 degree floor just for a minute or so to get the best pop from the crust then move it to the oven to finish. Obviously way more work than it's worth but you'd get the best of both worlds that way.

I still use my charcoal grill for anything barbecued (chicken and pork steak). Gas grills just can't do the job as well; the char's never as good and the flavor is fine but it's just...wrong. I also use it for a good steak (I don't do sous vid on a ribeye, filet or stip). I may occasionally use it for grilled burgers but the smash burgers are just better...

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2018, 04:09 PM
My gas grill gets north of 600F when running full blast, and the convenience for me is hard to beat. I love charcoal, but it’s just more of a pain.

I wonder if I could find a steel or stone to fit inside my gas grill for pizza.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2018, 04:22 PM
My gas grill gets north of 600F when running full blast, and the convenience for me is hard to beat. I love charcoal, but it’s just more of a pain.

I wonder if I could find a steel or stone to fit inside my gas grill for pizza.

I just use the side burner on the gas grill to light the charcoal chimney and it only takes about 10 minutes longer than gas. That's pretty much the only use my gas grill ever gets.

I've never understood the 'gas is way easier' argument. Sure - if you're running home for lunch and want to grill hot dogs, do that. But if you're talking about the difference between a 30 minute cook and a 40 minute cook (when you're probably doing prep somewhere in there anyway), I just don't get it.

Kyle DeLexus
08-01-2018, 06:50 PM
I was pretty upset I missed the Prime Day deal for one of these. I've been watching them for a long time now and have been waiting for a good price. I'm hoping now that grilling season is winding down I'll have another shot at a good price.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Here they are at walmart $211 for the 28"

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=blackstone%20griddle%2036&cat_id=0&typeahead=blackstone%20griddle

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Serious question , has anybody ever had a Grackel fly over and bomb your griddle ?

tooge
08-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Buddy has pretty much the one in the OP. Camp Chef I think. We’ve used it for years at tailgates for burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, Italian beef sandwiches, breakfast, etc. they are nice

ptlyon
08-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Serious question , has anybody ever had a Grackel fly over and bomb your griddle ?

It fries up quick. If you have pig semen on your hands it don't really matter does it?

hotrod
08-01-2018, 08:49 PM
I had the blackstone and had a lot of fun with it but there were a few negatives. Mine only lasted a couple of season before it needed the burners replaced and I also didn't care for the fact that when it got up to temp and then you added 4 or 5 pounds of meat, the blackstone would drop 150 degrees. The unit I have now cost more but its a commercial unit from a restaurant supply . it cost $600 but I am confident it will last many years because of much better quality burners and it is stainless steel. the cook top is about twice as thick as the blackstone and has a much better way of draining grease. it doesn't have near the temp drops due to the thicker cook top that holds heat better. We use ours 2 to 3 times a week and on the weekends we have pool parties and do big fajita cooks. We have a pavilion on our back deck by the pool with a bar, 2 smoker, the griddle and a gas grill. We use the griddle and smokers the most and the gas grill the least. We cook and eat our dinner outside 5 -6 days a week. Also a restaurant supply is a good place to get big spatulas made for use with a griddle and scrapers to clean the top. I could never find the right tools at department stores and the restaurant supply is really cheap and better quality.

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 07:18 AM
I just use the side burner on the gas grill to light the charcoal chimney and it only takes about 10 minutes longer than gas. That's pretty much the only use my gas grill ever gets.

I've never understood the 'gas is way easier' argument. Sure - if you're running home for lunch and want to grill hot dogs, do that. But if you're talking about the difference between a 30 minute cook and a 40 minute cook (when you're probably doing prep somewhere in there anyway), I just don't get it.

I agree that the flavor difference is there, but for me - partly because I have limited time pretty much all the time - I can preheat my grill in 10 minutes, and it's ready to cover within 15 minutes of finishing. I don't have to deal with charcoal or a starter, and I get 90% the flavor, if not more. The simple truth is, since getting the gas grill, my use of the charcoal grill had plummeted. I think the only thing I've done in the past year on the charcoal is pizza.

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 09:40 AM
I know this will be dependent on heat settings. Does this thing burn through tanks like crazy?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 09:42 AM
I know this will be dependent on heat settings. Does this thing burn through tanks like crazy?

Don't know yet. I've heard most people cook on low to medium for most things, so I kinda doubt it.

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Don't know yet. I've heard most people cook on low to medium for most things, so I kinda doubt it.

My local supercenter says they have limited stock. I’m going to go check here in a couple hours. Still wanting one after yesterday so it’s no longer an impulse buy right?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 10:09 AM
My local supercenter says they have limited stock. I’m going to go check here in a couple hours. Still wanting one after yesterday so it’s no longer an impulse buy right?

Correct!

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Wow!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFoodNetwork%2Fvideos%2F10156357698481727%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

DJ's left nut
08-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Buddy has pretty much the one in the OP. Camp Chef I think. We’ve used it for years at tailgates for burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, Italian beef sandwiches, breakfast, etc. they are nice

Camp Chef uses a different burner layout, IIRC. If you look around you can find some infrared photography of how evenly the eat disburses and it looks to me like the bar setup (Camp Chef uses round gasburners) works a little bit better.

But the flip side is that I think Camp Chef still uses cast iron and Blackstone uses cold rolled steel. At least I'm pretty sure Camp Chef still uses cast iron. I've not noticed a real disadvantage to the steel at all but some people are die-hard cast-iron folks.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2018, 01:55 PM

No more than any 4-burner gas grill would if you were using all 4 burners.

The regulator is a standard .5 PSI gas grill regulator so its fuel consumption is pretty much exactly the same. It puts the heat into the steel instead of ambient air.

Now if you do the mod with the 5 and 10 PSI regulators, yeah - you'll tear through fuel. And you're past the unit's operational guidelines so you're also burning fuel less efficiently (the air gates into the bars are only going to open as much as they'd need to efficiently run .5 PSI). So if you start pumping 3-4 PSI into those bars, you'll get more heat but you'll be running really rich and really inefficiently because even with wide open air gates at the front of the bars, there's only so much air that can be drawn through the opening.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Wow!

Raw sugar and olive oil I presume?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Raw sugar and olive oil I presume?

That's what it looks like to me.

In58men
08-02-2018, 02:08 PM
I would use butter

/pauladeen

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 02:11 PM
My local Wal Mart had four in stock and now they have three. They’re priced at $247. I bought a five piece set of a scraper, two spatulas, and two squirt bottles. Now I need a cover and a few other things.

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:13 PM
My local Wal Mart had four in stock and now they have three.

ROFL

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 02:19 PM
It’s been years since I bought a propane tank. What’s the price on a new one and refills?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
It’s been years since I bought a propane tank. What’s the price on a new one and refills?

New tanks are about $50. Refills are usually around $20.

ptlyon
08-02-2018, 02:21 PM

It's all exchange now. Around here about $25

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Did you get a cover or anything? Would suggest you set something on the griddle to prop up the cover, especially when it rains. Found out yesterday the cover isn't especially waterproof, and water will pool in the griddle unless there's something creating a runoff slope.

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:23 PM
It's all exchange now. Around here about $25

You have to have a tank to exchange, so you have to pay for the first one. My Lowe's has them for $49.

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Did you get a cover or anything? Would suggest you set something on the griddle to prop up the cover, especially when it rains. Found out yesterday the cover isn't especially waterproof, and water will pool in the griddle unless there's something creating a runoff slope.

Not yet. Saw one on Amazon.

Blackstone Signature Griddle Accessories - 36 Inch Grill and Griddle Cover - Heavy Duty 600 D Polyester - Black (Fits Similar Sized Barbecue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RHG45S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lN2yBbCF813A4

This one looks alright.

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:34 PM

Blackstone Signature Griddle Accessories - 36 Inch Grill and Griddle Cover - Heavy Duty 600 D Polyester - Black (Fits Similar Sized Barbecue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RHG45S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lN2yBbCF813A4

This one looks alright.

That's what I got, and it's pretty heavy duty. Just make sure you prop it up so rain runs off rather than pooling on the steel. I'm just using a milk jug right now.

Donger
08-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Unless you're cooking for 20, what's the point of this thing?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:39 PM

You can do hibachi at home with this thing.

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Cause we’re in America and we like to eat a lot.

ptlyon
08-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Cause we’re in America and we like to eat a lot.

That's right starvin Marvin. Appetizer. It's what you eat, before you eat, to make you more hungry.

Donger
08-02-2018, 02:46 PM
You can do hibachi at home with this thing.

I don't like Mexican food.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2018, 02:49 PM

This one looks alright.

I still recommend going with the Covermates Ultima.

It's about $100 for the right size but holy crap they're amazing. I've had the one on smoker for probably 6-7 years in direct sunlight and elements all season. Worst I've seen is some fading and that's not even the ultima.

The ultima has the dyed poly so it shouldn't even fade and with the double seams and everything it's just damn near indestructable. I really like 'em but they are definitely on the pricier side.

I got the 60 inch model to give plenty of clearance for the side tables; you could maybe get away sizing down one but it didn't seem worth the 7 bucks to find out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P56IGE/ref=twister_B01N24KS3P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't like Mexican food.

Hibachi is Japanese.

Donger
08-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Hibachi is Japanese.

LMAO

Dunit35
08-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I still recommend going with the Covermates Ultima.

It's about $100 for the right size but holy crap they're amazing. I've had the one on smoker for probably 6-7 years in direct sunlight and elements all season. Worst I've seen is some fading and that's not even the ultima.

The ultima has the dyed poly so it shouldn't even fade and with the double seams and everything it's just damn near indestructable. I really like 'em but they are definitely on the pricier side.

I’d try it but it’s $100 and most of the griddle will be under my roof anyways. At least out of the rain.

listopencil
08-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Nice.

Dunit35
08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
How many times did you season it when you first started. I went through three cycles about 45 minutes total.

Fire Me Boy!
08-03-2018, 07:41 PM
How many times did you season it when you first started. I went through three cycles about 45 minutes total.I started with three.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2018, 07:45 PM
How many times did you season it when you first started. I went through three cycles about 45 minutes total.

I think just once. Then I cooked in oil for the next couple of uses and seasoned after every cleaning. It really seasons itself on the fly pretty well

ILChief
08-04-2018, 09:01 AM

I have this problem as well. I think I'm going to spray the inside of the cover with Flex seal

In58men
08-04-2018, 09:04 AM

They carry a two burner griddle which is smaller.

srvy
08-04-2018, 01:04 PM
I have this problem as well. I think I'm going to spray the inside of the cover with Flex seal

Dont know if I would do that. It needs to breath a little so moisture doesnt condensate underneath.

Dunit35
08-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Grilling up some chicken fajitas tonight. Fried rice tomorrow night.

Fire Me Boy!
08-04-2018, 04:50 PM
I did omelettes this morning. Tomorrow, cheese steaks for lunch, shrimp and rice for dinner.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2018, 07:18 PM
I want a monster black iron griddle to slide over my grill top. Something you could really sling some hash.

Dunit35
08-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Them fajitas were top notch but there is no way the temperature was very high. I had it set on high but it didn’t seem all that hot.

Didn’t have a temp gauge to check it though.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Them fajitas were top notch but there is no way the temperature was very high. I had it set on high but it didn’t seem all that hot.

Didn’t have a temp gauge to check it though.Check to make sure all your burners were lit. I've read that can be a problem. I've also read that the regulator isn't great.

In58men
08-05-2018, 07:54 AM
I’ll be buying my griddle in the next couple weeks. Can’t wait.

Dunit35
08-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Check to make sure all your burners were lit. I've read that can be a problem. I've also read that the regulator isn't great.

All the burners were lit. I will say the left two burners were hotter than the right two. I’ll have to buy a temp gauge.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 08:35 AM
I've had a little trouble getting mine to light consistently. I just replaced the regulator.

Dunit35
08-05-2018, 08:58 AM
I've had a little trouble getting mine to light consistently. I just replaced the regulator.

The top right corner isn’t even seasoned. It’s obviously not getting all that hot in that area.

I know when I first seasoned it the griddle was putting out some serious heat. 2nd time not so much. I’m trying again tonight with fried rice.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 09:04 AM
The top right corner isn’t even seasoned. It’s obviously not getting all that hot in that area.

I know when I first seasoned it the griddle was putting out some serious heat. 2nd time not so much. I’m trying again tonight with fried rice.The most trouble I've had is that right burner.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Cheese steaks turned out well. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180805/425892f9881391e9600fa67a34709219.jpg

DJ's left nut
08-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Didn’t have a temp gauge to check it though.

Get an IR thermometer for $15 on amazon. Make sure it has a range to at least 700 but you'll never hit that.

If you're not in/around at least 450 when you've got everything wide open for about 5 minutes, then you're having some issues. Adjust the air gates on the front of the bars to where you get the most steady blue flame possible (for me it was about 3/4 open).

And like I said - consider building a rig to block the sides off. You lose a ton of heat from the underside of the griddle, especially if you're in a breezy area. That's how I got into the 500+ range.

There's also a safety stop that sometimes kicks in if you have the bottle open or a burner on when you screw the regulator onto the propane. If you can't hear the burners pumping propane at full throat, there's something wrong. Turn everything off, disconnect everything, wait a couple of minutes and reconnect. It'll be fine.

And again - for some weird reason mine got much hotter once it was seasoned all across the griddle.

SAUTO
08-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Yeah, it sounds like he's bypassed a regulator.

Take it off and shake the shit out of it. Make sure your bottle is all the way off. Reinstall the hose and then open the bottle slowly.

Is probably just shitty and weak

Buehler445
08-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Yeah. It’s for if the product goes too fast like if a hose comes off or something.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 11:48 AM
We replaced the regulator this morning and have fired it up three times with no issues. I think the regulator is junk.

Dunit35
08-05-2018, 03:39 PM
We replaced the regulator this morning and have fired it up three times with no issues. I think the regulator is junk.

What regulator did you go with?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2018, 04:03 PM
What regulator did you go with?Just a basic one by Char Broil at Lowe's.

Dunit35
08-05-2018, 06:37 PM
I tried posting an image but it’s too blurry. Cooked fried rice, zucchini, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken with it. The grill temp was definitely high. Much better than yesterday. I unscrewed the regulator and put it back on. I don’t know if that helped but the grill was nice and hot tonight.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2018, 07:45 AM
I tried posting an image but it’s too blurry. Cooked fried rice, zucchini, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken with it. The grill temp was definitely high. Much better than yesterday. I unscrewed the regulator and put it back on. I don’t know if that helped but the grill was nice and hot tonight.

What did you do for sauce? Just soy sauce, or did you do anything else.

I did some more rice this weekend, and it was probably the best fried rice I've ever made. I made two significant changes: first, I seasoned with some house seasoned salt (4 parts salt, 1 part pepper, 1 part garlic powder); second, I instead of plain soy sauce, I made a very basic tare sauce:

1 c. soy sauce
1 c. mirin
1/2 c. sake
1/2 c. brown sugar
2T sherry vinegar

Boil for 5 minutes and cool.

Using that sauce made the biggest difference. It was damn tasty.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Hey DJ.... slightly off topic, but have you ever tried putting a baking stone directly on your grill for pizzas? I've got the Kettle, and it makes great pizza, but wondering if I could get similar results by putting the stone on my gas grill (on full blast, I can get it over 600F).

Ming the Merciless
08-06-2018, 02:16 PM
How hot do the cheap electric ones get??? Thinking about getting one to see if i enjoy griddlin

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2018, 02:27 PM
How hot do the cheap electric ones get??? Thinking about getting one to see if i enjoy griddlin

They usually max out around 400, I think.

Dunit35
08-06-2018, 05:57 PM
What did you do for sauce? Just soy sauce, or did you do anything else.

I did some more rice this weekend, and it was probably the best fried rice I've ever made. I made two significant changes: first, I seasoned with some house seasoned salt (4 parts salt, 1 part pepper, 1 part garlic powder); second, I instead of plain soy sauce, I made a very basic tare sauce:

Using that sauce made the biggest difference. It was damn tasty.

I didn’t have much ingredients on hand. I went with 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce, 4 Tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp corn starch, and some water. It wasn’t a blow your mind delicious sauce but it was better than nothing. I have two little girls who are extremely picky.

Had my buddy and his family over for dinner Saturday night. He bought one on Amazon this morning.

In58men
08-06-2018, 06:27 PM
FMB did you scrub your griddle with hot water and soap?

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Just water until the towel is mostly clean. Then season.

In58men
08-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Just water until the towel is mostly clean. Then season.

Right on, just watched his video. Wasn’t sure if that was necessary.

https://youtu.be/5rH6gdgGY0g

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Gonna try some German potatoes and onions this weekend, along with some dry aged ribeyes I have on hand (the steaks will go on the grill).

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Right on, just watched his video. Wasn’t sure if that was necessary.

https://youtu.be/5rH6gdgGY0g

Looks like he's starting with a new griddle, right? No, I didn't soap and water it, I just started seasoning. Maybe I should have! :LOL:

Also looked like he used enough oil for four griddles! WAAAAY too much oil.

Dunit35
08-08-2018, 11:17 AM
My cover came in yesterday and I put a milk jug under it. We got some good rain this morning and it worked perfect. Thanks FMB.

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
My cover came in yesterday and I put a milk jug under it. We got some good rain this morning and it worked perfect. Thanks FMB.

:thumb:

I learned the hard way. I just built a hard cover this weekend with some plywood and 2x2 furring strips. It's not pretty, but it's functional, and $20 in product was a lot better than $100-$150 I was seeing online for the metal ones built for it.

In58men
08-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Count me in.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/f28298b1583153bdd822359449860ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coogs
08-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Gonna try some German potatoes and onions this weekend, along with some dry aged ribeyes I have on hand (the steaks will go on the grill).

How did the ribeyes turn out? Very curious to know what you thought compared to how you usually do ribeyes.

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2018, 11:16 AM
How did the ribeyes turn out? Very curious to know what you thought compared to how you usually do ribeyes.We didn't end up doing the steaks. Bit those would have been grilled anyway.

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Count me in.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/f28298b1583153bdd822359449860ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYay!!!!

Coogs
08-18-2018, 11:46 AM
We didn't end up doing the steaks. Bit those would have been grilled anyway.

:doh!: I need to learn how to read I guess. Just automatically assumed griddle instead of grill when I read it the first time.

I would be interested in how a ribeye or kc strip turns out on the griddle, if you ever do one that way.

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Smashburgers for lunch. Got the trusty flooring trowel and wallpaper scraper out. Butchered the first patty before I remembered the parchment paper. Wife said these were the best burgers I've made her.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/0ee71265ce8d1f326981fe044b484c6f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/1c60266a57c782f0c939d2e1124106fb.jpg

In58men
08-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Al Pastor and grilled onions c’mon. First time today.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/50d4694ec67087a4c52673b1e9216f10.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Nice. Finished dish?

In58men
08-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Nice. Finished dish?

Ugh!! I already smashed on the food, my bad lol.

Best damn grilled onions. They really set those tacos to a different level. I love the griddle, no regulatior issues. Grill got hot as fuck.

KChiefs1
08-26-2018, 05:58 PM

That would be great for a tailgate. Would also keep you warm.

In58men
08-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Philly cheesesteak will be my next go to meal on the griddle.

mr. tegu
08-26-2018, 10:32 PM
These look awesome. I think I have been inspired to get a grill griddle topper now though.

Dunit35
08-29-2018, 07:49 PM
I’ve used this several times since I bought it earlier this month. We’ve had breakfast twice, Philly cheesesteaks, hibachi, fajitas, and burgers/brats.

Ease of use and the large size make it awesome.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Gonna have to try this. Fried cheese pizza.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/adPM5-uUQPk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
09-03-2018, 09:54 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/adPM5-uUQPk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I made this for lunch today in a skillet.

It’s really good. Mine looked like a fire hot mess so I didn’t take a picture. I also made enough of a mess the wife might co-sign a griddle purchase.

philfree
09-03-2018, 10:17 PM
I ordered the 28" Blackstone and it should be here any day now. I didn't think me and the wife need a 36" and the 28" takes up less space so it will fit end to end with the regular grill on the deck.

SAUTO
09-04-2018, 11:16 AM
How did the ribeyes turn out? Very curious to know what you thought compared to how you usually do ribeyes.

I did some the other night . My wife says they were the best steaks either one of us has ever made, any way.

SAUTO
09-07-2018, 10:24 PM
My wife bought me a pancake shitter today.

I'm doing breakfast this weekend.

Buehler445
09-07-2018, 10:28 PM
My wife bought me a pancake shitter today.

I'm doing breakfast this weekend.

:rockon:

Never heard it called that but that is the most pragmatic name one could come up with.

DJ's left nut
09-08-2018, 12:35 AM

So just thinking out loud here.

Fiesta cheese as the base and grilled chicken/steak, pico, lettuce and taco sauce. You could probably fold it into a badass taco but at worst you toss some refried beans on the shell first and make it a tostada.

philfree
09-08-2018, 08:33 AM
The first thing I made on my 28" was an onion volcano. It wasn't a very good one though so I'm going to have to work on that. Then I cooked fillet's(cubed them as they cooked), vegies and heated up the noodles. It was to easy and to good.

patteeu
09-08-2018, 08:39 AM
The first thing I made on my 28" was an onion volcano. It wasn't a very good one though so I'm going to have to work on that. Then I cooked fillet's(cubed them as they cooked), vegies and heated up the noodles. It was to easy and to good.

We're going to need a video if you're making something as cool sounding as a food volcano.

In58men
10-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Let’s get this party started. Time to turn up fam

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/d79ea2d75d4f8a605066487371ae194e.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
10-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Turnt up for Sunday breakfast. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191006/7910192d55de9885f15a4dfb12004057.jpg

notorious
10-06-2019, 07:08 AM
We use a Blackstone often outside, but since it's getting colder I picked up a Pro series Steelmade USA griddle top for our oven.

https://steelmadeusa.com/collections/gas-electric-coil/products/pro-series-steelmade-flat-top-grill-30-gas-or-electric-coil-range-stoves

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3072/9654/files/DSCF3416_large.jpg?v=1535306786

I love this thing. Since it's thick, we can even use our pots on top.

Coogs
10-06-2019, 07:19 AM
I did some the other night . My wife says they were the best steaks either one of us has ever made, any way.

I missed this one. Thanks Sauto. I just may have to put one of these on my Christmas list.

philfree
10-06-2019, 08:25 AM
I Don't use my Blackstone. If you don't use it a lot it rusts up and then it's a pain in ass to clean when you do want to use it.

Fire Me Boy!
10-06-2019, 08:27 AM
I bought one of those. Had to return it. It was melting the face of our oven.

Coogs
10-06-2019, 08:30 AM
I Don't use my Blackstone. If you don't use it a lot it rusts up and then it's a pain in ass to clean when you do want to use it.

Good to know!

notorious
10-06-2019, 09:31 AM
I bought one of those. Had to return it. It was melting the face of our oven.

Tell me more, I don't want to fuck up our oven.

dmahurin
10-06-2019, 09:34 AM
My newish stove has a built in one one top. I love the thing. Use it daily.

Fire Me Boy!
10-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Tell me more, I don't want to fuck up our oven.They said they'd never seen it before, but the face of the stove where the clock and temp settings are blistered and partly melted from the heat generated.

notorious
10-06-2019, 10:39 AM
They said they'd never seen it before, but the face of the stove where the clock and temp settings are blistered and partly melted from the heat generated.

I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads-up FMB.

Buehler445
05-31-2021, 12:37 PM
Joined the crowd finally.

Should have done it 3 years ago.

Like everything else, FMB was right on the money.

Rausch
05-31-2021, 12:52 PM
Propane is the devil's work...

ChiTown
05-31-2021, 01:13 PM

What did you end up getting?

Buehler445
05-31-2021, 01:44 PM
What did you end up getting?

Black stone 36”. Thing will make some heat.

Just Passin' By
05-31-2021, 02:40 PM

Black stone 36”. Thing will make some heat.

I still love mine. And I have a relative who just got one of the portables, and he'll be breaking that in this summer/fall, as he's already got tickets to some multi-day festivals.

MTG#10
05-31-2021, 03:02 PM
I've been on the fence for years. Only thing that's held me back is I think the only thing I'd probably use it for is breakfast. It would make breakfast a lot easier but hard to justify the space on my deck for just that. If I'm cooking outside, meats taste better grilled or smoked and I'm not a big veggie person.

ChiTown
05-31-2021, 03:37 PM
I still love mine. And I have a relative who just got one of the portables, and he'll be breaking that in this summer/fall, as he's already got tickets to some multi-day festivals.

I just showed my wife this thread, and talked her into getting me one Fathers Day :)

I’m pumped!

Buehler445
05-31-2021, 03:44 PM
I just showed my wife this thread, and talked her into getting me one Fathers Day :)

I’m pumped!

You sir are a wizard!

My whining caused my wife to use our trillions of amazon points for one. :D

Sorce
05-31-2021, 04:31 PM
I got the 28" blackstone the other day. I love it. I have made smashburgers first, then have done hibachi, cheesesteak and omelets so far. The rain hasn't been kind but I'm having a good time with it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

IA_Chiefs_fan
05-31-2021, 06:55 PM
We're building an outdoor kitchen and I ordered the 30" Blaze built-in. Never had a griddle before. Can't wait!
http://www.greatgrills.com/p/9352783/blaze-30-inch-built-in-gas-griddle-lte---blz-griddle-lte.html

BryanBusby
05-31-2021, 07:22 PM
Finally snagged one after finding a good deal for one with a lid.

The Franchise
05-31-2021, 07:29 PM
I’ve been wanting to get one of these for a while now. I may have to bite the bullet and do it.

mlyonsd
05-31-2021, 07:30 PM
Mmmm. Hash browns cooked with bacon grease.

cabletech94
05-31-2021, 07:44 PM
You sir are a wizard!

My whining caused my wife to use our trillions of amazon points for one. :D

I’ve been doing the whining as well. I think it’s paying off.

KCUnited
03-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Looking to build an outdoor kitchen with a griddle included.

I'm interested in a Blackstone but am curious about how the grease trap off the back would work if its sitting flush in a counter or bar top. Seems like it would be a challenge to access.

Anyone have theirs built into countertop that can shine some light on how you installed it?

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-19-2022, 11:35 AM
I have no experience with Blackstone but I love my Blaze. http://www.greatgrills.com/p/9352783/blaze-30-inch-built-in-gas-griddle-lte---blz-griddle-lte.html

The Franchise
03-19-2022, 11:53 AM
I’ve been wanting to get one of these for a while now. I may have to bite the bullet and do it.

Got one last weekend. Just need to set it up.

KCUnited
03-19-2022, 11:53 AM
I have no experience with Blackstone but I love my Blaze. http://www.greatgrills.com/p/9352783/blaze-30-inch-built-in-gas-griddle-lte---blz-griddle-lte.html

That's certainly a beaut.

I saw you mention upthread about including it in an outdoor kitchen. Any challenges cleaning it with your setup?

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-19-2022, 11:57 AM
That's certainly a beaut.

I saw you mention upthread about including it in an outdoor kitchen. Any challenges cleaning it with your setup?

No, grease tray is super easy to empty. That’s why I went with this unit.

cdcox
03-19-2022, 12:16 PM
Tangential topic, But dealing with grease traps can be the worst. Among my top five worst experiences during a 6 month period working at McDonalds in the 1970s, was the night I had to empty the grease trap. This thing was like 30” long, 4” wide and 30” deep. It was full within 6 inches of the top and probably weighed over 100 lbs. The smell was about what you would expect from rancid grease. It had two handles on the 4” side. Me and another guy each grabbed a handle to carry it the 40 yards to the corral. We were hunched over, taking these tiny shuffle steps, with the grease slopping back and forth. My shoes were caked by the time we got to the corral. But at least I was making $2.70 an hour.

Renegade
03-19-2022, 05:11 PM
I got the 36” char griller. It has a front grease trap and about $100 less than blackstone. Came with a lid as well

cabletech94
03-19-2022, 05:18 PM
I got the 36” char griller. It has a front grease trap and about $100 less than blackstone. Came with a lid as well

The tray is a must. Also, fry up a pound of bacon first. Because bacon.

Buehler445
03-20-2022, 04:59 AM

I'm interested in a Blackstone but am curious about how the grease trap off the back would work if its sitting flush in a counter or bar top. Seems like it would be a challenge to access.

Anyone have theirs built into countertop that can shine some light on how you installed it?

I’d probably look for one with a front trap. No countertop here but the black stone is slanted at the back so you’ll play hell getting it clean.

I have a subscription to ATK. I’ll see if I can dig up an article about it.

Got one last weekend. Just need to set it up.

Nice. I bought the black stone seasoning … shit. It worked better than oil. I’d recommend it.

notorious
03-20-2022, 06:39 AM
Tangential topic, But dealing with grease traps can be the worst. Among my top five worst experiences during a 6 month period working at McDonalds in the 1970s, was the night I had to empty the grease trap. This thing was like 30” long, 4” wide and 30” deep. It was full within 6 inches of the top and probably weighed over 100 lbs. The smell was about what you would expect from rancid grease. It had two handles on the 4” side. Me and another guy each grabbed a handle to carry it the 40 yards to the corral. We were hunched over, taking these tiny shuffle steps, with the grease slopping back and forth. My shoes were caked by the time we got to the corral. But at least I was making $2.70 an hour.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS-4PaQ_0DT2LQJPSgjsvd69M1hLyu6vgHAA&usqp=CAU

MTG#10
03-20-2022, 07:42 AM
I bought one and used it once. There's just nothing I care to make on it, I can make smash burgers on my big cast iron skillet, and I dont have an army to feed for breakfast so it's not worth using it for that either. Steaks taste better on cast iron as well.

If anyone lives in the Springfield/Ozark area and wants to make me an offer let me know. It's the biggest version, and comes with a hardtop cover and an outdoor cover. I'll even throw in a grill scraper I bought for it.

Groves
03-20-2022, 08:29 AM
If anyone lives in the Springfield/Ozark area and wants to make me an offer let me know.

I missed out on your firearms sale lo many years ago. Still stings.

I’m not your griddle huckleberry unfortunately.

KCUnited
03-20-2022, 08:49 AM

This one looks promising.

cabletech94
03-20-2022, 09:02 AM
I bought one and used it once. There's just nothing I care to make on it, I can make smash burgers on my big cast iron skillet, and I dont have an army to feed for breakfast so it's not worth using it for that either. Steaks taste better on cast iron as well.

If anyone lives in the Springfield/Ozark area and wants to make me an offer let me know. It's the biggest version, and comes with a hardtop cover and an outdoor cover. I'll even throw in a grill scraper I bought for it.

I’ll give you about tree-fiddy.

Balto
03-20-2022, 09:28 AM
We have a tailgater blackstone that we take on the RV and love. So much so I wanted a griddle for our larger regular grill sitting at home. Looked around and actually purchased this and could not be happier!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBDBV8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MTG#10
03-20-2022, 09:50 AM
I’ll give you about tree-fiddy.

I wont take $3.50, but I'd take $350. It goes for around $400 new without all the accessories I have and like I said I've only used it once. It'll also come seasoned and ready to go.

neech
03-20-2022, 09:52 AM
MTG what did you do about your patio situation in your back yard?

MTG#10
03-20-2022, 09:55 AM
MTG what did you do about your patio situation in your back yard?

Are you referring to the crooked post holding up the corner of my 2 story deck?

I've done nothing yet, I really need to get on that. If you wanna come replace it I'll give you my Blackstone!

neech
03-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Are you referring to the crooked post holding up the corner of my 2 story deck?

I've done nothing yet, I really need to get on that. If you wanna come replace it I'll give you my Blackstone!

Yeah the crooked post, maybe you can make a project out of this in the Spring.

I have my own griller though a simple Weber Charcoal Grill. Seems to work as good as the ones with all the bells and whistles.

gblowfish
03-20-2022, 10:18 AM
I've got one of these. Bought it for my screened in back porch but I've only used it a couple times.
http://www.royalgourmetcorp.com/item/Portable?sort=Default

Buehler445
03-20-2022, 01:54 PM

I sent you a PM.

So the Meat Church channel I subscribe to started peddling Loco Griddles. It looks like the grease trap is up front. It looks they have thermostat controlled burners too.

Looks pretty good but I can't vouch for anything.

https://www.lococookers.com/

Buehler445
03-20-2022, 02:04 PM
Also, I like doing this on the griddle. I make a shitload and eat the leftovers FOR-E-VER. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7umUJ0lAVbQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited
03-20-2022, 03:31 PM
I sent you a PM.

So the Meat Church channel I subscribe to started peddling Loco Griddles. It looks like the grease trap is up front. It looks they have thermostat controlled burners too.

Looks pretty good but I can't vouch for anything.

https://www.lococookers.com/

Much appreciated!

I actually showed my with the Blaze model IA_Chiefs_Fan posted upstream and was expecting a hearty fuck you but she seemed open to it. My guess is because it "looks" better but I'd still like to explore a less expensive option because I haven't disclosed my plans for a 2 tap kegerator to her yet haha.

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-20-2022, 03:41 PM
On a somewhat related matter, my Memphis Grills built-in pellet grill is my favorite appliance or grill I've ever purchased. It holds temp so perfectly, the flavor is amazing, and it's super easy to clean. We even do frozen pizzas on it. Mike at GreatGrills.com was super helpful when I was planning my outdoor kitchen. I think he's just a one man shop and he worked hard for me before and after the sale. The price seems to have gone up about 25% in the past year though. Still a great value of you can swing it.
http://www.greatgrills.com/p/8931794/memphis-pro-28-inch-built-in-pellet-grill-with-wifi---vgb0001s.html

Buehler445
03-20-2022, 04:18 PM
Much appreciated!

I actually showed my with the Blaze model IA_Chiefs_Fan posted upstream and was expecting a hearty fuck you but she seemed open to it. My guess is because it "looks" better but I'd still like to explore a less expensive option because I haven't disclosed my plans for a 2 tap kegerator to her yet haha.

If she's into the aesthetic check the loco one.

It doesn't look like a less expensive option, though LOL. I'd be interested to get some real life reviews on it. Not that I'll be in the market, but whatever.

srvy
03-20-2022, 08:33 PM
Camp Trails drains down to a like spigot in the left front corner. Should be able to rig something up to catch it.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51wA80WmKJL.jpg