PDA

View Full Version : Misc -- Malls dying? Soon to be gone? - a question...

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Hi guys,

When's the last time you've stepped foot inside of a mall? I used to love to shop and I'll say it's been over 3 years for me.

Just wanting to get the general consensus on this. No poll - just post your answer.

Thanks

Pasta Little Brioni
08-10-2018, 12:42 PM
They still exist?

stumppy
08-10-2018, 12:43 PM
10 - 15 years ago.

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Malls are for teenage kids and old people to walk in an controlled environment

loochy
08-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Maybe 4 or 5 years

alpha_omega
08-10-2018, 12:46 PM
4 or 5 years ago here as well. King of Prussia Mall.

I don't recall seeing a Spencers Gifts or Hickory Farms.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Malls are for teenage kids and old people to walk in an controlled environment

hasn't always been like that - pre-Amazon. So GFY Asshole!

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 12:48 PM
J/K Ptlyon - chill the **** out.

Baby Lee
08-10-2018, 12:51 PM
It's tough to differentiate personal mall patronization patterns from population-wide patterns. As people age, their daily need for new stuff goes down. So everyone thinking of their own experiences says 'sure, I go less than I used to.'

That is, unless they are hauling kids there, or otherwise going there to get things for an expanding family.

It's tough to argue with the logic, though, that the virtual environment has replaced the mall environment, both as a place to gather for leisure and a place to obtain consumer goods.

Between Amazon and Facebook [ie, online shopping and social media], there's less of an imperative to go somewhere for either socialization or consumerism.

And things are moving fast, too. 15 years ago, St. Louis Mills was brand new. 2-3 years ago, I went there during the holidays and it was packed. It's been closed [or nearly so] for over a year, and part of it is soon to be converted to a church facility.

Edit - right at 2 years since it's nearly closed

https://fox2now.com/2016/09/07/haunting-video-shows-abandoned-former-st-louis-mills-mall/

Check out how huge and new and clean, . . and empty

<iframe width="770" height="434" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TY8fQyVFC-s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ptlyon
J/K Ptlyon - chill the **** out.

Hey, don't take it out on me cuz our offensive line sucks! :p

Simply Red
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W54i8i_sSvM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 12:53 PM
It's tough to differentiate personal mall patronization patterns from population-wide patterns. As people age, their daily need for new stuff goes down. So everyone thinking of their own experiences says 'sure, I go less than I used to.'

That is, unless they are hauling kids there, or otherwise going there to get things for an expanding family.

It's tough to argue with the logic, though, that the virtual environment has replaced the mall environment, both as a place to gather for leisure and a place to obtain consumer goods.

Between Amazon and Facebook [ie, online shopping and social media], there's less of an imperative to go somewhere for either socialization or consumerism.

hmm interesting angle.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 12:54 PM
4 or 5 years ago here as well. King of Prussia Mall.

I don't recall seeing a Spencers Gifts or Hickory Farms.

do you have family up there? Interesting - Pennsylvania has a lot of dead malls - one of the leading states in dead malls, actually.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I ate at a restaurant located in the parking lot of a mall a while back, does that count?

Amnorix
08-10-2018, 12:57 PM

And things are moving fast, too. 10 years ago, St. Louis Mills was brand new. 2-3 years ago, I went there during the holidays and it was packed. It's been closed [or nearly so] for over a year, and part of it is soon to be converted to a church facility.

Agreed. Went alot as a newly married adult (got crap to buy), then tapered off alot when the kids were young, and now go there more as the kids tastes have morphed into something where they want stuff at malls. I've gone more in the last 1-2 years than I had in the 5 or more before that.

And to answer the OP question -- like 2 weeks ago.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Out of the 5 in the Pigsknuckle metro area, 3 are dead, 1 is dying, and 1 is still managing to do fairly well.

DaFace
08-10-2018, 01:05 PM
I went to a Sears that was technically attached to a mall a few weeks ago, but I didn't go in the mall itself. Does that count?

Overall, I've probably been to or near a true indoor mall about 5 times in the past 10 years.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 01:06 PM
This is kinda interesting, was filmed earlier this year, the place has been dead for years but is still in amazing condition. It's going to be a shame when they finally tear it down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/91bPm6Q-qg8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
08-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Went into a mall this summer to go to a Younkers store that was going out of business after 50 years. Got a 200 ml bottle of Light Blue cologne for $80. Went to the Vans store in the mall about a year ago.

Eureka
08-10-2018, 01:07 PM
The one down the street from my house is always packed. I’m in San Jose and the mall is currently under a remodel including a new parking structure.

alpha_omega
08-10-2018, 01:08 PM
do you have family up there? Interesting - Pennsylvania has a lot of dead malls - one of the leading states in dead malls, actually.

Nah...just in the area for work. That particular mall appeared to still be hopping. Wouldn't have even gone over there, but there is a Legal Seafood in the mall (and it was tasty).

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Nah...just in the area for work. That particular mall appeared to still be hopping. Wouldn't have even gone over there, but there is a Legal Seafood in the mall (and it was tasty).

OMG OMG OMG

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 01:13 PM
OMG OMG OMG

What is wrong, hun?

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Fixed

RippedmyFlesh
The mall near me that has managed to survive has shifted to restaurants/clubs/theaters/things to do go cart racing etc to compliment retail.
As wired as young people are they still go to movies more frequently than older folks.
So good movie theaters in a mall can still attract traffic.

SuperBowl4
The one at the crown center is cool

alpha_omega
08-10-2018, 01:20 PM
OMG OMG OMG

I must have missed something.??.

RippedmyFlesh
08-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I must have missed something.??.

Legal seafood as opposed to illegal?

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/10/Blinky-e1319824451193.jpg

BWillie
08-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Hi guys,

When's the last time you've stepped foot inside of a mall? I used to love to shop and I'll say it's been over 3 years for me.

Just wanting to get the general consensus on this. No poll - just post your answer.

Thanks

I fucking love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because
1) You don't have to trudge thru the snow to get to ANY of your stores.
2) You can peruse many stores at once.
3) Great for impulse buying or destination shopping
4) You don't have to go outside to go to another store
5) You can eat, see Santa Claus, shop, and take a shit all at the same time
6) You can get a nice walk
7) People watch and check out chicks

I really don't understand why you would rather go to a strip mall, than a real mall. I get it if you are in Southern California where the weather is always nice, but in the winter or summer when the weather sucks here, the mall is where its at.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 01:23 PM
The mall near me that has managed to survive has shifted to restaurants/clubs/theaters/things to do go cart racing etc to compliment retail.
As wired as young people are they still go to movies more frequently than older folks.
So good movie theaters in a mall can still attract traffic.

where are you in NY, my dude?

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
I ****ing love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because

I really don't understand why you would rather go to a strip mall, than a real mall. I get it if you are in Southern California where the weather is always nice, but in the winter or summer when the weather sucks here, the mall is where its at.

posts like this will get you out off the ignore feature!

Simply Red

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/10/Blinky-e1319824451193.jpg

it's pretty well known

Bugeater

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/10/Blinky-e1319824451193.jpgThe politically correct term is "undocumented" seafood.

vailpass
08-10-2018, 01:27 PM
I ****ing love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because

Amazon

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 01:27 PM
OK, not to derail the thread. But went to Boston on a business trip and went into a small bar and asked for a good seafood restaurant that wasn't a chain. Everybody we talked to said Legal Seafood, and it was awesome.

Back to your talking of teenagers and old people.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Why do old people smell funny?

KranzDictum
08-10-2018, 01:30 PM
I didn't go to the mall unless I needed something specific. Easier to stay on budget if you don't shop often.

That said I miss having a Marshall Fields(Macy) close by. I loved going through the sale racks when I did need to replace a few shirts. Harder to get a great deal online. Amazon doesn't always have the best price and I have found you need to watch something for months in hopes of finding it at a discounted rate.

I rarely ever bought anything from the mall at full price. Carsons, Macy, all had sales and coupons, even Lord and Taylor has sales and if you get to know the old ladies behind the counters they will call you when they have them. I haven't found that online.

Plus I like to see what I am buying especially if I am going to wear it.

If anyone has tricks to getting great sales online I would like to hear them.

Rain Man
08-10-2018, 01:31 PM
There's a big mall within walking distance of my house, and I'm a regular mall rat. I go there every week and hang out in their big sitting area. Per my established set of moral and ethical values, I always buy something when I go, which is usually a lunch from one of the food vendors. But I sometimes buy bigger ticket items. The mall is generally pretty busy even though they started charging for parking, which I think is a really weird move.

KranzDictum
Why do old people smell funny?

I think it is their gums and breath. Ever have a crown done and have a temp crown taken off? It smells the same as an old lady.

Maybe they don't floss as much because they know they don't need their teeth that long?

Baby Lee
I fucking love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because

I don't think it's the rambunctious kids that are killing malls. In addition to the marginal effect of people being about to browse and impulse buy through the internet, the second biggest factor is likely the rental rates are just too high for even slight reductions in traffic and income.

You could see this 10-15 years ago when CDs and DVDs you could by for $9.99 at Wal-Mart or Best Buy were $16-18 at Sam Goody and the Whopper that was $2 at the next closest Burger King was $4.50-5.00 at the food court. Now that all Whoppers are $4.50-5.00. I have to imagine food court Whoppers are on par with a burger at Kaufmann or a concert venue. What? $10-11?

Rain Man
08-10-2018, 01:32 PM
I didn't go to the mall unless I needed something specific. Easier to stay on budget if you don't shop often.

That said I miss having a Marshall Fields(Macy) close by. I loved going through the sale racks when I did need to replace a few shirts. Harder to get a great deal online. Amazon doesn't always have the best price and I have found you need to watch something for months in hopes of finding it at a discounted rate.

I rarely ever bought anything from the mall at full price. Carsons, Macy, all had sales and coupons, even Lord and Taylor has sales and if you get to know the old ladies behind the counters they will call you when they have them. I haven't found that online.

Plus I like to see what I am buying especially if I am going to wear it.

If anyone has tricks to getting great sales online I would like to hear them.

Hmm, it seems like you probably don't need to worry about malls going out of business as much as all of the stores you shop going out of business.

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 01:33 PM
There's a big mall within walking distance of my house, and I'm a regular mall rat. I go there every week and hang out in their big sitting area. Per my established set of moral and ethical values, I always buy something when I go, which is usually a lunch from one of the food vendors. But I sometimes buy bigger ticket items. The mall is generally pretty busy even though they started charging for parking, which I think is a really weird move.

You've noted your stalking in malls several times on here

Rain Man
08-10-2018, 01:36 PM
You've noted your stalking in malls several times on here

There's really no better place to stalk. 3 to 1 female to male ratio, with a concentration on the ones who like fashion and have money. It's way better than the library.

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
There's really no better place to stalk. 3 to 1 female to male ratio, with a concentration on the ones who like fashion and have money. It's way better than the library.

People who like fashion and have money go to malls?

Who knew...

Fish
08-10-2018, 01:41 PM
They are great because

Don't shit on Santa's lap. That's awful...

Baby Lee
08-10-2018, 01:44 PM
You could see this 10-15 years ago when CDs and DVDs you could by for $9.99 at Wal-Mart or Best Buy were $16-18 at Sam Goody and the Whopper that was $2 at the next closest Burger King was $4.50-5.00 at the food court. Now that all Whoppers are $4.50-5.00. I have to imagine food court Whoppers are on par with a burger at Kaufmann or a concert venue. What? $10-11?

This brings up a tangentially related question regarding consumer patterns.

How much does price affect you when you have full autonomy?

By this I mean, I can understand 'indulging' in outlandishly priced stuff when you are captive. $15 hot dogs at the ball park. $5 water at a concert.

And I can understand indulging [or not caring] about outlandish prices when it's part of the experience. $1K champagne at a strip club. $100 sandwich at a country club, etc.

What I can't, and can't even imagine being wealthy enough to, reconcile is simply enjoying a burger that is 2-3x times the price of a burger that is just down the road, simply to avoid going down the road.

BWillie
08-10-2018, 01:47 PM
This also does not help things.

https://www.billingsclinic.com/app/files/public/2176/Mall-walkers.jpg

Flying High D
08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Take a shit in a mall sounds fun. How does compare to taking a shit Walmart? I worked at a place where the workers shit all over the toilets.

BWillie
08-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Take a shit in a mall sounds fun. How does compare to taking a shit Walmart? I worked at a place where the workers shit all over the toilets.

I went to Burlington Coat Factory one time at the Great Mall. It smelled like shit. I think somebody shit on the coats. Then I saw Dane Cook walking around.

Why Not?
08-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Wish I knew how to imbed videos. I took some footage of the inside of a mall I was at in March. Looked like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. Took me about 5 minutes of walking around before I saw an open store or another human being

Flying High D
08-10-2018, 02:11 PM
I went to mid rivers mall a couple of weeks ago. I’m in a wedding party and had to go to men’s wearhouse. That was dogshit. Asshats tried to sell me a suit for $400. I’m Renting one for $179. I think if your in the military you should be able to wear you ASU. They tried to sell me a shirt, shoes, socks everything. What a rip off. They suck. Sad thing is other poor fools we’re in there buying everything they suggested. Undershirts underwear, people go to goodwill.

RippedmyFlesh
08-10-2018, 02:14 PM
I went to mid rivers mall a couple of weeks ago. I’m in a wedding party and had to go to men’s wearhouse. That was dogshit. Asshats tried to sell me a suit for $400. I’m Renting one for $179. I think if your in the military you should be able to wear you ASU. They tried to sell me a shirt, shoes, socks everything. What a rip off. They suck. Sad thing is other poor fools we’re in there buying everything they suggested. Undershirts underwear, people go to goodwill.

Nah

KranzDictum
08-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Hmm, it seems like you probably don't need to worry about malls going out of business as much as all of the stores you shop going out of business.

Those are all the Anchor stores that bring people in. The malls near us in the far west Chicago burbs are all failing or they are changing over from stores into places like escape houses and bowling, entertainment places rather than retail.

There's a small mall in St Charles that is being torn down and replaced by Condos.

Macy's still has anchor stores at the big malls, Woodfield and Oak Brook but those aren't as close as the smaller malls are to us.

ModSocks
08-10-2018, 02:23 PM
I do some xmas shopping at the mall. Maybe stop by here and there for a birthday gift or something.

It's not my thing really. But sometimes when you have no gift ideas its good to be able to go into an actual store and see what's available.

banecat
08-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Oak Park Mall's closer. So I go there if I go to a mall. When I lived closer to Independence Center I went there. Kids were more of an issue at IC than at OP. The people shopping there were mostly the suburban housewife spending her husband's money, or people where English was not their first language or it wasn't their parent's either

jjchieffan
08-10-2018, 02:28 PM
I rarely shop malls anymore, but I'm in them a lot. I do network and POS system upgrades and repairs. They seem to be pretty busy when I'm there. But really, the only indoor malls are Battlefield Mall in Springfield and NorthPark Mall in Joplin.

JoeyChuckles
08-10-2018, 02:29 PM
OK, not to derail the thread. But went to Boston on a business trip and went into a small bar and asked for a good seafood restaurant that wasn't a chain. Everybody we talked to said Legal Seafood, and it was awesome.

Back to your talking of teenagers and old people.

Burlington, MA by chance? I've been to the Legal attached to that mall many times as it's next to my companies offices. Not bad at all, but it's kind of a chain in that there are something like 20 locations.

ptlyon
08-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Burlington, MA by chance? I've been to the Legal attached to that mall many times as it's next to my companies offices. Not bad at all, but it's kind of a chain in that there are something like 20 locations.

Somewhere in Boston. IIRC it was attached to a mall. This was 15 years ago.

Oh and I was reluctant to go there because I knew it was sort of a chain. But you listen to the locals, and they were correct, it was great.

luv
08-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Our mall has a small kids play area not far from the food court. Having the little man, we've gone in a few times. Plus, he loves to people watch.

doomy3
08-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Enclosed malls seem to be nearing extinction, although there are certainly exceptions.

I just had lunch today with the CEO of a fashion company, and we were talking about this supposed death of retail due to online shopping. His answer was that 92% of retail transactions are still done face to face. 8% are done online.

That's a higher number than in the past, but a far cry from the doom and gloom for retail that many speak of.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Wish I knew how to imbed videos. I took some footage of the inside of a mall I was at in March. Looked like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. Took me about 5 minutes of walking around before I saw an open store or another human being
YouTube videos? Just click on "share" right below the video, then click "embed" on the pop-up, copy the code and paste it here.

srvy
08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
I went to Burlington Coat Factory one time at the Great Mall. It smelled like shit. I think somebody shit on the coats. Then I saw Dane Cook walking around.

I went in a Burlington Coat Factory once. It smelled like molded clothes and moth balls.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 02:45 PM

PM one of us for details! Jeez man, why not?

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 02:46 PM
I went in a Burlington Coat Factory once. It smelled like molded clothes and moth balls.

I know it catches a lot of shit - but in the early y2k's - Burlington ruled for men's clothes - they were one of the few that carried double RL at a discount.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 02:50 PM
http://oi66.tinypic.com/2925uth.jpg

tx4chiefs
08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
I worked a second job in a mall. So the last time I stepped foot in a mall was May.

I did however see them dying off. All that visit are young kids and thieves.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 03:13 PM
http://oi66.tinypic.com/2925uth.jpg

th' fuck?

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 03:14 PM
I worked a second job in a mall. So the last time I stepped foot in a mall was May.

I did however see them dying off. All that visit are young kids and thieves.

LMAO

vailpass
08-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Enclosed malls seem to be nearing extinction, although there are certainly exceptions.

I just had lunch today with the CEO of a fashion company, and we were talking about this supposed death of retail due to online shopping. His answer was that 92% of retail transactions are still done face to face. 8% are done online.

That's a higher number than in the past, but a far cry from the doom and gloom for retail that many speak of.

Maybe within the specific fashion sector in which he operates those numbers are close to accurate. Overall, given the volume of ecommerce that now occurs, those numbers don’t appear to match reality.
Of course we’d need to see what is being defined by “retail”. Does that include groceries, automobiles for instance?

displacedinMN
08-10-2018, 03:24 PM
I hate shopping. I only go when dragged by the women in my house.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Maybe within the specific fashion sector in which he operates those numbers are close to accurate. Overall, given the volume of ecommerce that now occurs, those numbers don’t appear to match reality.
Of course we’d need to see what is being defined by “retail”. Does that include groceries, automobiles for instance?

about to post basically this same thing - and who knew that doomy (of all people) dealt with fashion conglomerates?

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 03:26 PM
very sexy doomy - do yo thing!

Rain Man
08-10-2018, 03:29 PM

I've done a big study of shopping patterns in Colorado, and the proportion of shopping online more or less matched what doomy said. It's big in some sectors and non-existent in others, but when you look at everything people buy, it was less than 10 percent in the study that I did. That might have included restaurant spending, which isn't exactly online-eligible, but even so, online is smaller than most people think.

Kiimo
08-10-2018, 03:31 PM
i work in Century City next to the tower used in Die Hard.

They just spent over a BILLION dollars renovating the mall here. They put in an Eataly.

It's thriving somehow.

chinaski
08-10-2018, 03:42 PM
i work in Century City next to the tower used in Die Hard.

They just spent over a BILLION dollars renovating the mall here. They put in an Eataly.

It's thriving somehow.

I think the malls in SOCAL are different as many shops tend to cater to a higher end clientele. Jewelry stores are one example of this. Growing up in KC, I never saw a mall carry high end jewelry, like Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches...you would have to go the Plaza for stuff like that. SOCAL malls have stores with items like that available. Plus the SOCAL mall has a high concentration of 'better' eating places etc. Midwest malls had hotdogs, pizza and Orange Julius stands.

Rain Man
08-10-2018, 03:45 PM
I think the malls in SOCAL are different as many shops tend to cater to a higher end clientele. Jewelry stores are one example of this. Growing up in KC, I never saw a mall carry high end jewelry, like Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches...you would have to go the Plaza for stuff like that. SOCAL malls have stores with items like that available. Plus the SOCAL mall has a high concentration of 'better' eating places etc. Midwest malls had hotdogs, pizza and Orange Julius stands.

I've been to some mall in Costa Mesa that has dresses more expensive than my car. I bet they're profitable selling two dresses a month in some of those stores. I should just hang out there and kidnap women as they come out.

srvy
08-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Here in the Midwest we had Mr Bulky's and that meant chocolate covered rat turds.

Easy 6
08-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Its been a minimum of 11 years since I've been in one, but I've heard the one nearest me is still going strong, there apparently isnt an empty store in the place

Kiimo
08-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Thanks now I have to go find out where they sell Orange Julius and feed this craving

vailpass
08-10-2018, 04:24 PM
I've done a big study of shopping patterns in Colorado, and the proportion of shopping online more or less matched what doomy said. It's big in some sectors and non-existent in others, but when you look at everything people buy, it was less than 10 percent in the study that I did. That might have included restaurant spending, which isn't exactly online-eligible, but even so, online is smaller than most people think.

Thanks for the hard data. In considering the amount of retail spend in the US, or a given state, ~10% is a signicant $ amount now that I take a minute to think on it.

It’s hard to reconcile the large amount of brick and mortar retailer closings with that seemingly low percentage of ecommerce shopping. In just 2018 Toys R Us, Ann Taylor, Walgreens, Kmart, The Gap, Footlocker, and more have closed all or a large number of their stores.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stores-closing-in-2018-2017-12

rocknrolla
08-10-2018, 04:30 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W54i8i_sSvM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was my stompin grounds in the the late 80's!
Merry go round
US nostalgia
& The Jones Store. Good times!!!

doomy3
08-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the hard data. In considering the amount of retail spend in the US, or a given state, ~10% is a signicant $ amount now that I take a minute to think on it.

It’s hard to reconcile the large amount of brick and mortar retailer closings with that seemingly low percentage of ecommerce shopping. In just 2018 Toys R Us, Ann Taylor, Walgreens, Kmart, The Gap, Footlocker, and more have closed all or a large number of their stores.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stores-closing-in-2018-2017-12

Of course, but stores closing their doors has been around well before e-commerce became a thing. Think of stores that existed in malls 20 years ago. Many are out of business while new stores have opened and thrived. That is still happening.

doomy3
08-10-2018, 04:39 PM
about to post basically this same thing - and who knew that doomy (of all people) dealt with fashion conglomerates?

Past life connections. Now I deal with it more on a real estate level.

But what do you mean by “of all people”??

banecat
08-10-2018, 04:40 PM

You people?

vailpass
08-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Of course, but stores closing their doors has been around well before e-commerce became a thing. Think of stores that existed in malls 20 years ago. Many are out of business while new stores have opened and thrived. That is still happening.

Sure, that makes sense.
But none of those stores were Sears, Kmart, Macy’s, Toys R Us, Radio Shack, etc. There has never been a time when the major retailers were disappearing from the brick and mortar like they are now.

Or malls closing.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-american-retail-apocalypse-in-photos-2017-3

I’m not rooting against brick and mortar, quite the opposite. There doesn’t seem to be any question that the retail landscape is being remade like never before. How that settles out in the end will be interesting to see.

A positive possibility for commercial real estate space formerly occupied by closed stores:
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-will-happen-to-closed-malls-2017-5

Deberg_1990
08-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Indoor malls have been dying a slow death for years.

Outdoor malls are still thriving.

lcarus
08-10-2018, 05:19 PM
I know you like to watch the dead mall videos on Youtube, dont you Simply Red?

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
th' fuck?
How to embed a YouTube video. TRYING TO BE HELPFUL HERE

vailpass
08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Indoor malls have been dying a slow death for years.

Outdoor malls are still thriving.

Outdoor malls?

scho63
08-10-2018, 05:32 PM
The last mall I was in was the Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax VA. I was there several times to pay my Verizon bill, buy a pair of shoes at Clark's and some other insignificant crap. 6-7 years ago.

I spend little to no time in ANY mall and the mall I grew up with in NJ was one of the FIRST malls ever built by the DeBartolo family of San Francisco 49ers's fame and owners.

The crappy POS mall is still there with Sears, Sterns, JC Penney's and Macy's as the 4 major anchors.

I've been in a mall about 5 times in the last 30 years, 3 times to find the property manager for my job. :shake:

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Outdoor malls?They are also known as shopping centers.

vailpass
08-10-2018, 05:39 PM
They are also known as shopping centers.

Like strip malls?

banecat
08-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Like strip malls?

Well then what are Ward Parkway Center and Independence Center?

Spott
08-10-2018, 05:45 PM
When I go up to Syracuse around Christmas to see the better half’s family, we go to this huge mall called Destiny. Other than that, I almost never go inside the local malls. Everyone goes to the outdoor ones here, even though it’s hot as hell most of the year in Florida.

srvy
08-10-2018, 05:45 PM

He means the open air malls like the Plaza where all the tenets are in one location that you can park and walk to.

Zona Rosa in KC North was built like that and became real popular for 10 or so years. Now many are moving out and the stores shuttered with for lease.

vailpass
08-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Well then what are Ward Parkway Center and Independence Center?

No idea. I’m in PHX. I’ve never heard of an outdoor mall or a shopping center but we’re covered in strip malls here so was wondering if that’s the same thing.

Dunit35
08-10-2018, 05:50 PM
I remember going to Blue Ridge Mall when I use to visit as a kid. My grandpa use to always take us to KB toys. I hated seeing it being torn down. I found a website many years ago that had a bunch of interior pictures of it prior to being torn down.

I also remember that movie theater near the mall. It had the cool glass exterior. I never went inside it though.

vailpass
08-10-2018, 05:51 PM
He means the open air malls like the Plaza where all the tenets are in one location that you can park and walk to.

Zona Rosa in KC North was built like that and became real popular for 10 or so years. Now many are moving out and the stores shuttered with for lease.

Thanks. Yeah I think we’re talking about the same thing. Here we have Kierland Commons, Biltmore, Desert Ridge and a thousand others.
Now I see DeBerg’s point and agree.

BucEyedPea
08-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks
Every week at least. Mostly an indoor one but one is outdoors. The sprinkled around with shops outdoors isn't really a mall.

banecat
08-10-2018, 05:53 PM
No idea. I’m in PHX. I’ve never heard of an outdoor mall or a shopping center but we’re covered in strip malls here so was wondering if that’s the same thing.

I'm looking that up. We have giant buildings with huge parking lots that have three or four department stores in them and numerous smaller shops inside. There are only two and a half left in KC out of close to seven or eight at their peak years ago

srvy
08-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Merry go round
US nostalgia

That Metro North mall has been in process of demolish for last couple years. Its all down now accept for Macy's who owned their building and remains open with rubble around it. To add insult to injury a big area around the mall has a 10 foot chain link fence inclose most all the parking area and is leased by Ford Motor Company to store cars from the assembly plant in Claycomo.

The same developer that developed old Antioch center into Antioch Crossing is supposed to develop Metro North into strip malls and town homes with Macy's as an anchor is now seeing Zona Rosa 2. 5 miles west shuttering :D

scho63
08-10-2018, 05:55 PM
This is what shopping malls are now becoming; open aired multi-store places with residential tossed in with exterior entrances/exits.

I did over $200,000 worth of work for this client over 6 years, Federal Realty Trust and their 5 centers all together on Rockville Pike in MD

http://www.federalrealty.com

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11580+Old+Georgetown+Rd,+North+Bethesda,+MD+20852/@39.0495147,-77.1175828,495m/data=!3m2!1e3!5s0x89b7cc30f1706f4f:0xb825fcec9c5ce69c!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x89b7ce4d9ffd26b7:0x78c5bee159 d077d1!2sRandolph+Rd,+Rockville,+MD!3b1!8m2!3d39.0536514!4d-77.1023876!3m4!1s0x89b7cc3015418413:0x7b636941af57ff17!8m2!3d39.0498278!4d-77.115302

vailpass
08-10-2018, 06:00 PM
I'm looking that up. We have giant buildings with huge parking lots that have three or four department stores in them and numerous smaller shops inside. There are only two and a half left in KC out of close to seven or eight at their peak years ago

I just looked up Kierland Commons to see what it’s called.
Bug was right: shopping center.
Strip malls are much smaller and much more shabby.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 06:23 PM
i took a nap since I published this thread - I dreamed about chocolate covered Twinkies, isn't that weird?

Deberg_1990
08-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Outdoor malls?

Open air malls.

Baby Lee
08-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Outdoor malls?

Like strip malls?

Without the 'strip.'

They're trying to evolve the outdoor real estate into more of a 'neighborhood' you stroll through with shops, as opposed to a line of storefronts on the side of the thoroughfare.

Here's a picture of an upscale outdoor mall they made out of bare fields a few years back. There's 2-3 of these lanes with independent storefronts.

OldSchool
08-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Enclosed malls are dying except in places like San Francisco and other places with generally poor weather or not much space. Open shopping malls/centers are thriving everywhere else and are quickly replacing the old malls.

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 06:50 PM

I meant nothing by that - I was just ribbing you mate ;)

FlaChief58
08-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Been at least ten years. I shop in my underwear now

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Like strip malls?
Yes, like really big strip malls with overpriced stores and restaurants and usually have some glitzy word like "Towne", "Pointe" or "Centre" in the name.

Bugeater
08-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Enclosed malls are dying except in places like San Francisco and other places with generally poor weather or not much space. Open shopping malls/centers are thriving everywhere else and are quickly replacing the old malls.
We have 300 days of shitty weather a year and they're still dying here.

Spott
08-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Yes, like really big strip malls with overpriced stores and restaurants and usually have some glitzy word like "Towne", "Pointe" or "Centre" in the name.

Lol, we have 3 of those here and they all have “town center” in their name.

Dayze
08-10-2018, 08:32 PM
So long ago I don’t even remember when I last stepped foot in one.
Probably 15 years.

BryanBusby
08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
The Internet is killing off most actual traditional retail and that's ok. Some things should be extinct.

big nasty kcnut
08-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Intresting the malls i went to are dead or dying a slow death. padre staple mall and sunrise mall used to be the place to be now it dead.

Flying High D
08-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Wouldn’t be Fast a times at Ridgemont High without a mall. Why do people who work at malls think they are cool?

Simply Red
08-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Merry go round
US nostalgia

Mine was definitely Independence Center and once every blue moon Bannister Mall.

srvy
08-10-2018, 09:34 PM
The Internet is killing off most actual traditional retail and that's ok. Some things should be extinct.

Yet Old Navy lives.

Hoover
08-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Whats dying are Country Clubs - I don't know how on earth they can stay afloat.

Why Not?
08-10-2018, 10:35 PM

San Tan Village in Gilbert is an outdoor mall

BryanBusby
08-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Yet Old Navy lives.
Bargain shopping isn't dead. High priced mall shit is dying fast.

vailpass
08-11-2018, 10:52 AM
San Tan Village in Gilbert is an outdoor mall

My sympathies go out to them.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Mine was definitely Independence Center and once every blue moon Bannister Mall.

Bannister Mall was the place to be back in the 80s

Why Not?
08-11-2018, 10:56 AM
My sympathies go out to them.

It's an okay place, I guess. Haven't been in a couple of years.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Banana Republic rocks.

Demonpenz
08-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Amazon

people steal your package or rob ups people in st joe

Simply Red
08-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Bannister Mall was the place to be back in the 80s

had to hit up the Annie's Sante Fe :)

Simply Red
08-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Damn that sounds good! Cheese n onion enchilada's a nice sticky Spanish rice! OMG DELISH!!!

eDave
08-11-2018, 01:35 PM

I guess Tempe Marketplace would qualify.

TinyEvel
08-11-2018, 01:41 PM
The Crown Center mall has got to be the lamest mall in the world. It has a Crayola store, a hat store, a candle store, and Halls, which is like Neiman Marcus for people with no taste. They might as well have a Scotchtape store.

Simply Red
08-11-2018, 01:50 PM
The Crown Center mall has got to be the lamest mall in the world. It has a Crayola store, a hat store, a candle store, and Halls, which is like Neiman Marcus for people with no taste. They might as well have a Scotchtape store.

Yeah the Hat store was pretty nice & has been there forever - but overall pretty desolate.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Has good Chinese food.

Simply Red
08-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Damn looks like it's a different one than I went to. They used to carry sports hats. I bought an NHL hat there in the late nineties - this one you'd mentioned Tiny Evel is called The Missing Piece - seems to be dress hats. Not the same one I was thinking of.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 02:25 PM
WTF, no Jort Store?

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Any used underwear store?

Stewie
08-11-2018, 03:03 PM
I shop at JC Penney at Oak Park Mall. They have the best selection of clothing for tall men. The rest of the mall seems busy when I'm there.

vailpass
08-11-2018, 03:12 PM
I guess Tempe Marketplace would qualify.

Yeah definitely

ILChief
08-11-2018, 03:20 PM
2 days ago

TinyEvel
08-11-2018, 03:24 PM
I shop at JC Penney at Oak Park Mall. They have the best selection of clothing for tall men. The rest of the mall seems busy when I'm there.

I read that Nordstrom is pulling out. Which is weird, I think its the only Nordstrom around the KC area. You'd think they would do OK.

Oh, just read that they are moving to the Plaza.

MahiMike
08-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Your neighbors work at brick and mortar stores. You need to shop local. Ditch that online buying and support your own. See the bigger picture here guys.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 03:49 PM
To see the bigger picture would require a bigger window. Just saying to keep the thread on task.

banecat
08-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Your neighbors work at brick and mortar stores. You need to shop local. Ditch that online buying and support your own. See the bigger picture here guys.

Unfortunately it's a little too late. Americans decided about four decades ago that they wanted to buy cheaper shit. It's taken it's toll. They want it fast too. So now people wonder why our culture is so fast and cheap

Deberg_1990
08-11-2018, 04:58 PM
had to hit up the Annie's Sante Fe :)

Heh,,

Annie’s was a lot of things to a lot of people and you might not have known that Annie’s also had a wild side, a very wild side. Annie’s was the earliest prototype of the current bar and grill concept that packs the restaurant with diners during the day and flows cocktails after hours. Before Applebee’s and 54th St Grill was Annie’s Santa Fe.
At sundown this lovable Mexican restaurant turned into a disco scene that introduced Kansas City to margaritas, tequila shots and bad pickup lines. The swag we hear about today was born at Annie’s, in the back booth, about 1986. Annie’s Santa Fe was a wild swinging suburban yuppie disco “Sex-Mex” bar. The bar scene at Annie’s was rad and regularly featured Royal players, power drinkers, brawls, bighaired woman, stonewashed jeans and mullets on proud parade. Chiefs players took over the bar on Sunday nights. There was always a lively club style DJ(Debbie Z)that coordinated dance contests, jalapeño eating events and other adult themed party games between Madonna songs. If you know anyone that is currently in their late 40’s they probably have an Annie’s war story for you.

http://www.kcfoodguys.com/annies-santa-fe/

Chief Roundup
08-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Haven't been inside a Mall in a long long time. Most stores have an outside entrance that I use. I do not care to just wander around inside a Mall. If I want something I know what it is and I go get whatever it is that I wanted.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately it's a little too late. Americans decided about four decades ago that they wanted to buy cheaper shit. It's taken it's toll. They want it fast too. So now people wonder why our culture is so fast and cheap
Not completely true, unless by "cheaper" you mean "not wildy overpriced". I'll pay a little more for better quality and a better shopping experience. But that just means I'll go to Target for a pair of jeans instead of Walmart. I also don't buy clothes or footwear online, I always try everything on.

Only time I buy online is when I can get it significantly cheaper, or if I don't know where to buy it locally.

JD10367
08-11-2018, 08:17 PM
20 years ago, malls were cool. They had stores you actually wanted to shop in--bookstores, toy stores, Discovery Channel stores, Brookstone, Disney Stores and Warner Brothers Studio Stores, stuff like that. I could go to the mall and browse. Now? Now they're nothing but "ten jewelry stores, ten shoe stores, and ten young adult clothing stores". There's absolutely no reason to go to a mall.

Everything old is new again. When I was a kid, there were few indoor malls, just lots of "strip malls". That trend has returned in what I like to call the "square courtyard outdoor mall": a collection of stores in a box shape, with a giant parking lot in the middle. We had one in my area when I moved here in 2000; now they've built about five more within a 20 mile radius. Instead of fighting into a crappy indoor parking garage and trudging through the mall, you park your car pretty much in front of where you want to go.

lcarus
08-11-2018, 08:38 PM
I got arrested trying to suck toes at Bannister back in 88.

KS Smitty
08-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Like Bugeater, I rarely buy apparel or footwear online. Tshirts and sweatshirts are the exception. If I'm shopping for apparel I'm trying it on and I prefer quality over price and I hate Walmart and to a lesser extent Target so wherever the "quality" clothing stores are is where I'm going.

Our mall is a joke, jewelery stores, no food court, shoe stores, some clothing stores and empty stores. It does have one of the only bookstores in this college town.

pugsnotdrugs19
08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
I don’t have much use for malls these days, but I will say that they’re great places to drop a baby off for a few hours whenever you just want some alone time or need to run other errands.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 11:22 PM
I got arrested trying to suck swollen hemorrhoidal tissueat Bannister back in 88.

FYP

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 11:45 PM
FYP
What in the fuck is wrong with you?

Can't wait until they flush your useless ass for the 20th time.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 11:47 PM

You seem nice.

Nickhead
08-12-2018, 12:13 AM
who is mall, and what is their affliction? asking for a friend :thumb:

Miles
08-12-2018, 01:15 AM
This is kinda interesting, was filmed earlier this year, the place has been dead for years but is still in amazing condition. It's going to be a shame when they finally tear it down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/91bPm6Q-qg8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went there a lot back in in the 90s as a teen and long since moved away from Omaha and haven’t been back. Really something to see it like this now.

Miles
08-12-2018, 01:23 AM
Apple store is probably the only reason I’ve gone to a mall for a store in long time. The one it’s in is full of fancy high end stores and seemed to be thriving.

lcarus
08-12-2018, 07:25 AM

Hopefully before he blows my cover. I do like a good hemorroidal tissue from time to time.

notorious
08-12-2018, 07:28 AM
The Omaha mall video reminds me of a Left 4 Dead level.

TinyEvel
08-12-2018, 01:52 PM
The Omaha mall video reminds me of a Left 4 Dead level.

I think one use of these malls (probably not feasible for insurance reasons) would be a zombie hunt live experience or paintball arena.

One of my favorite (love/ hate) mall experiences is the 1978 George Romero film

Dawn of the Dead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C-y3tbiqkBs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They remade it in 2004. shot it in a mall too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j69OPw9nFHw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
08-12-2018, 05:11 PM
The original Dawn of the Dead was shot in the Monroeville Mall outside of Pittsburgh. That mall is still open I think. I forget where the remake was filmed but I thought I heard it was closed down.