PDA

View Full Version : Life Carbohydrates and inflammation

Buehler445
08-10-2018, 09:58 PM
I’ve heard a couple different places now that eliminating carbohydrates from your diet can help eliminate inflammation.

As Lewdog (very douchtacullarly) pointed out, I have arthritis. I’m wondering if eliminating carbohydrates will eliminate some inflammation. Anymore I have no idea what the fuck is based in science and what is hippie bullshit. This kind of sounds like the latter, at least in my head.

It’s not something I’m super excited about, but would be willing to consider if there is a science-based good probability of materially affecting the inflammation.

saphojunkie
08-10-2018, 10:04 PM
I’ve heard a couple different places now that eliminating carbohydrates from your diet can help eliminate inflammation.

As Lewdog (very douchtacullarly) pointed out, I have arthritis. I’m wondering if eliminating carbohydrates will eliminate some inflammation. Anymore I have no idea what the fuck is based in science and what is hippie bullshit. This kind of sounds like the latter, at least in my head.

It’s not something I’m super excited about, but would be willing to consider if there is a science-based good probability of materially affecting the inflammation.

I know a lot of hard core MMA fighters who are very not hippie dudes who will advise you of a lot of “hippie bullshit” diet stuff, including veganism.

I’m not vegan, but they tell me all the time to do it.

CBD or CBG is also excellent for arthritic inflammation.

Fish
08-10-2018, 10:35 PM
From what I've read, it's not as simple as just cutting carbs and reducing inflammation. It depends on many factors. The source of the carbs. Are they highly processed carbs or whole grain carbs? What your lifestyle is like. If you're not active and get little exercise, then cutting carbs can be very beneficial. If you're active, then cutting carbs could cause some negative things to happen. Inflammation could also just be the result of your work and diet may not ever be able to overcome that. It's complicated.

Here's a decent page with lots info on the subject, with lots of reference links if you're curious about the actual scientific studies:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-diets

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2018, 11:02 PM
The human body has absolutely no need for any carbohydrates. They don't supply any trace minerals ,vitamins or protein.

Get on a Ketogenic diet which is very satisfying ,(your hunger cravings absolutely go away) and then go to intermittent fasting. Inflammation will virtually disappear. I've gone to one meal a day. Yesterday I skipped the one meal which gave me a 48 hour fast.

After the doctor damn near gave me brain damage with a medication switch i made up my mind I'm done with any medication I'm taking just because I'm a little overweight causing high blood pressure.

bricks
08-10-2018, 11:05 PM
I wouldn’t eliminate carbohydrates from my diet. I don’t think thats a smart thing to do to the human body.

I say go old school and simple. Inflammation? No prob, just use ice.

HemiEd
08-10-2018, 11:08 PM
From what I've read, it's not as simple as just cutting carbs and reducing inflammation. It depends on many factors. The source of the carbs. Are they highly processed carbs or whole grain carbs? What your lifestyle is like. If you're not active and get little exercise, then cutting carbs can be very beneficial. If you're active, then cutting carbs could cause some negative things to happen. Inflammation could also just be the result of your work and diet may not ever be able to overcome that. It's complicated.

Here's a decent page with lots info on the subject, with lots of reference links if you're curious about the actual scientific studies:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-diets

Very good post Fish and I think the article is spot on. I think it is easier now to make a switch to whole grains as the selection is good for the most part.

I might also add that I have found beer to be the cause of inflammation in my joints, or at the very least it aggravates the heck out of them. It sucks, but it is a choice not easy to make because I love beer.

bricks
08-10-2018, 11:09 PM
The human body has absolutely no need for any carbohydrates.They don't supply any trace minerals ,vitamins or protein.

Get on a Ketogenic diet which is very satisfying ,(your hunger cravings absolutely go away) and then go to intermittent fasting. Inflammation will virtually disappear. I've gone to one meal a day. Yesterday I skipped the one meal which gave me a 48 hour fast.

After the doctor damn near gave me brain damage with a medication switch i made up my mind I'm done with any medication I'm taking just because I'm a little overweight causing high blood pressure.

I don’t agree with the first statement in your paragraph.

Its nonsense imo. Our RBCS are 100% glucose dependent for energy but yet you’re saying the body doesnt need any carbs?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2018, 11:23 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bmFlh3TgC50" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2018, 11:25 PM
I don’t agree with the first statement in your paragraph.

Its nonsense imo. Our RBCS are 100% glucose dependent for energy but yet you’re saying the body doesnt need any carbs?

You need to do more research. Carbs are not necessary except for what you get in veggies. In fact to most people they're the sole cause of obesity.

Fish
08-10-2018, 11:26 PM
The human body has absolutely no need for any carbohydrates. They don't supply any trace minerals ,vitamins or protein.

That's dangerously false.

Keto diets are dumb and unsustainable.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Dr Berg disagrees

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5vIoHR7J24I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Danguardace
08-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Always makes laugh how people are so protective of their carbs.

We've been told to eliminate fats for the last 40+ years and instead eat more breads, pasta and rice (just look at the food pyramid)... look how that has worked out.

For the OP I can only give you my experience I have done a low carb eating plan for the last 18 weeks combined with intermittent fasting, and it has helped me lose a lot of weight and I no longer suffer from bloating.

My only carbs are from vegetables and nuts so it is not about eliminating carbs its about cutting out or down the beige (Bread)and white (sugar) carbs. I disagree that carbs are not essential because to me fibre important for gut health so green carbs are important to me any.

I eat strategic carb days every 2 weeks and have cheats meals like anyone else.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2018, 11:47 PM

We've been told to eliminate fats for the last 40+ years and instead eat more breads, pasta and rice (just look at the food pyramid)... look how that has worked out.

For the OP I can only give you my experience I have done a low carb eating plan for the last 18 weeks combined with intermittent fasting, and it has helped me lose a lot of weight and I no longer suffer from bloating.

My only carbs are from vegetables and nuts so it is not about eliminating carbs its about cutting out or down the beige (Bread)and white (sugar) carbs. I disagree that carbs are not essential because to me fibre important for gut health so green carbs are important to me any.

Spot on. Yeah I should not have stated it as I did. On my diet I eat a big salad as part of my meal which of course contains some carbs BUT the carbs themselves are not essential. Just the nutrients you get with the veggies.

Fish
08-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Dr Berg disagrees

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5vIoHR7J24I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Dr." Berg is a fucking quack. Very well known for his pseudoscience bullshit.

He's not even an actual doctor. He's just a chiropractor. He's not legally allowed to even put a "Dr." in front of his name. He's been reprimanded and fined (https://casewatch.net/board/chiro/berg.shtml) for his bullshit claims. Don't trust individuals spouting stuff that's completely contradictory to known science. Trust the overall body of knowledge. Which says that keto is shit. It absolutely has the potential to provide weight loss, but it's biologically dangerous and unsustainable for most people.

Fish
08-10-2018, 11:59 PM

Sure. Again, for overweight people with little to no exercise, cutting carbs can absolutely be beneficial. But for most, drastically cutting carbs can have very different consequences regarding hormone balance, metabolism, etc. It also depends a lot on the type of carbs.

What works for you isn't necessary what works for most.

Naptown Chief
08-11-2018, 12:23 AM
I had pizza for dinner. I then took my hydrocodone, gabepentin, and Aleve. I don't know if the inflammation went down but I feel better than I did before I ate pizza.

It was pepperoni in case you were wondering

RunKC
08-11-2018, 12:28 AM
FWIW every single thing I’ve read about lowering inflammation always has the same 2 things to eliminate (or greatly reduce): dairy and sugar.

Maybe worth a shot

Fish
08-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Peer-reviewed scientific evidence:

Carbohydrate deficiency

Not getting enough carbs can cause problems. Without sufficient fuel, the body gets no energy. Additionally, without sufficient glucose, the central nervous system suffers, which may cause dizziness or mental and physical weakness, according to Iowa State University. A deficiency of glucose, or low blood sugar, is called hypoglycemia.

If the body has insufficient carbohydrate intake or stores, it will consume protein for fuel. This is problematic because the body needs protein to make muscles. Using protein for fuel instead of carbohydrates also puts stress on the kidneys, leading to the passage of painful byproducts in the urine, according to the University of Cincinnati (http://www.netwellness.uc.edu/question.cfm/28782.htm).

People who don't consume enough carbohydrates may also suffer from insufficient fiber, which can cause digestive problems and constipation.

https://www.livescience.com/51976-carbohydrates.html

The energy value of digestible carbohydrates is generally accepted as 4 kcal/g for both sugars and starches. Fermentation of fiber in the gut will produce SCFAs that contribute calories, generally estimated to be ∼2 kcal/g. Few studies have linked carbohydrates to obesity. Indeed, observational data generally report that higher carbohydrate intake is linked to lower body weight.

Low-carbohydrate diets, especially those that avoid grains, are a popular notion for weight control. Yet most studies, including a recent systematic review and meta-analysis (7), found that low-carbohydrate vs. isoenergetic balanced diets had the same effect on weight loss, especially when looking at long-term effects on weight loss. There was little or no difference in weight loss and changes in cardiovascular risk factors up to 2 y of follow-up when overweight and obese adults, with or without type 2 diabetes, were randomly assigned to low-carbohydrate or isoenergetic balanced weight-loss diets.

Food patterns associated with health include consumption of dietary fiber, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. The conclusions of recent research on carbohydrates and health from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans Advisory Committee report (8) are summarized below:

The primary role of carbohydrate is to provide energy to all cells in the body and dietary fiber. Adults should consume 45–65% of their total calories from carbohydrates, except for younger children who need a somewhat higher proportion of fat in their diets. A maximum intake of 25% of added sugars is suggested. Americans should choose fiber-rich foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and cooked dry beans and peas as staples in the diet. Dairy products are also a nutrient-dense source of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the primary energy source for active people. Sedentary people, including most Americans, should decrease consumption of caloric carbohydrates to balance energy needs and attain and maintain ideal weight.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/5/6/760/4616690

Recently, diets low in carbohydrate content have become a matter of international attention because of the WHO recommendations to reduce the overall consumption of sugars and rapidly digestible starches. One of the common metabolic changes assumed to take place when a person follows a low-carbohydrate diet is ketosis. Low-carbohydrate intakes result in a reduction of the circulating insulin level, which promotes high level of circulating fatty acids, used for oxidation and production of ketone bodies. It is assumed that when carbohydrate availability is reduced in short term to a significant amount, the body will be stimulated to maximize fat oxidation for energy needs. The currently available scientific literature shows that low-carbohydrate diets acutely induce a number of favourable effects, such as a rapid weight loss, decrease of fasting glucose and insulin levels, reduction of circulating triglyceride levels and improvement of blood pressure. On the other hand some less desirable immediate effects such as enhanced lean body mass loss, increased urinary calcium loss, increased plasma homocysteine levels, increased low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol have been reported.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16436102

Danguardace
08-11-2018, 12:36 AM
Sure. Again, for overweight people with little to no exercise, cutting carbs can absolutely be beneficial. But for most, drastically cutting carbs can have very different consequences regarding hormone balance, metabolism, etc. It also depends a lot on the type of carbs.

I agree, the problem is so much information out there that conflicts. Low fat, keto, vegan etc what you normally find at the end is someone trying to sell you something.

I do think people need to be open minded, If I wasn't I would never have tried fasting and low carb.

kcxiv
08-11-2018, 12:43 AM
all i know is i have eliminated sugar from my diet and i feel better, i have more energy. I recently started working out. Hitting a heavy bag every morning in 4 weeks i went from hitting a punching bag for 4 min and i was exhausted for my first time back at it, i am now on it for 35 min, 6 days a week. I eat some carbs. Ill have low carb tortilla's (im Mexican and i need some tortillas) lol and some tortilla chips every now and again. For me, it was about the fucking sugar and bread. Im not saying i never have them, but once every 2 weeks ill have a sub or some ice cream, but for the most part, i just eat alot of ground turkey, veggies. Sugar on an everyday bases is just bad.

i cut back on my beef intake as well. ill have a steak once a week, maybe twice. There are times ill go weeks without it as well.

Fish
08-11-2018, 12:44 AM
I agree, the problem is so much information out there that conflicts. Low fat, keto, vegan etc what you normally find at the end is someone trying to sell you something.

I do think people need to be open minded, If I wasn't I would never have tried fasting and low carb.

I would recommend looking at scientific info from people that aren't trying to sell you a remedy for it. For instance, "Dr." Berg above has his own entire subdomain for selling his keto BS: https://shop.drberg.com/keto-combo-regular

The scientists from the studies I listed above don't have hundreds of items to sell you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage healthy practices. Low carb absolutely does have benefits for some. But portraying it as an inflammation cure all just isn't honest in my opinion.

Fish
08-11-2018, 01:24 AM
Dr Berg disagrees

Have you honestly seen what this chucklehead tries to sell? Take a look:

https://shop.drberg.com/

Do you really believe that this chiropractor actually has any knowledge and experience in the fields in the link? How can you honestly look at that and think this guy is some kind of expert, as opposed to a snake oil salesmen trying to sell a cure for every type of malady. Let's take a look at this short list of treatments "Dr." Berg offers for sale. Seriously, he will sell you something for each of these issues and many more..

Hair Formula
Keto Combo
Galbladder Formula
Icelandic Sea Kelp (LMAO)
Adrenal Body Type Formula
Thyroid Body Type Formula
Ovary Body Type Formula
Liver Body Type Formula
Stress Kit
Trace Minerals
Digestive Kit
Joint Support
Blood Sugar Support
Estrogen Balance
Sleep Aid
Sleep Aid (Vegan) (ROFL)
Electrolyte Formula
Kale Shake Powder
Audio and Video Books
Keto Fasting Coach Certification
Keto Recipe book

Chiefs=Champions
08-11-2018, 03:39 AM
Its different for everyone. You cant really just lump everyone together. Some will be inflamed by sugar, others dairy and some carbs.

Chiefs Moon
08-11-2018, 05:19 AM

As Lewdog (very douchtacullarly) pointed out, I have arthritis. I’m wondering if eliminating carbohydrates will eliminate some inflammation. Anymore I have no idea what the **** is based in science and what is hippie bullshit. This kind of sounds like the latter, at least in my head.

There are foods and food groups that exacerbate inflammation. Dr. Google will tell you all about it. Try a low inflammation diet. It won't hurt and it may help. Some have outstanding results.

notorious
08-11-2018, 06:33 AM

Yep, if you sit on your ass for a job then cutting carbs isn’t a big deal.

If you are active and physically work for a living it’s a little different.

Find balance. That’s always been the key.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2018, 09:51 AM

1. Yes, it does. Glycogen stores in your body are complex polysaccharides, i.e. carbohydrates, which provide the primary fuel for the brain.

2. There's a reason why hypertension is called the silent killer. You may feel fine, but if your hypertension is not controlled, you run the risk of progressive kidney and heart damage.

Don't swear off medicine because of one bad practitioner. Would you never use a car again because one dealer sold you a lemon?

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 11:11 AM

What were you taking? Now?

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 11:15 AM
I wouldn’t eliminate carbohydrates from my diet. I don’t think thats a smart thing to do to the human body.

I say go old school and simple. Inflammation? No prob, just use ice.

Carbs from BERRIES AND FRUIT are good for you but in weight loss they have to be minimized. Berries are my go to carb and I don't eat bread, pasta other than La Tortilla Factory Low carb wraps.

In58men
08-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Fuck a diet fam

Take CBD oil!!!!!!1111

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-11-2018, 11:27 AM
What were you taking? Now?

I was taking two meds. Valsartan 160mg and Hydrochlorothaladone 25mg. I complained to the doctor of severe dry mouth and sore throat.

He switched me to a single pill combo Valsartan160/HCTZ 12.5. After three weeks I had a blind episode while driving and severe dizzines,panic attacks, anxiety, head pain, eyeball pain . didn't think about it being side affects until I went to refill my medication and they said it had been recalled.

After investigating I found the medication had been contaminated with a known carcinogen and looking up the side effects all my symptoms were listed.

I made up my mind right then I was done with this shit. I cut out ALL CARBS except what I get in a salad. I've now lost 20 pounds in two plus weeks and my blood pressure is right where it's supposed to be.

I'm on no meds now and feel better than I've felt in years.

I had been on blood pressure meds for 25 years.

Buehler445
08-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Fuck a diet fam

Take CBD oil!!!!!!1111

Kansas yo.

SupDock
08-11-2018, 11:49 AM
I was taking two meds. Valsartan 160mg and Hydrochlorothaladone 25mg. I complained to the doctor of severe dry mouth and sore throat.

He switched me to a single pill combo Valsartan160/HCTZ 12.5. After three weeks I had a blind episode while driving and severe dizzines,panic attacks, anxiety, head pain, eyeball pain . didn't think about it being side affects until I went to refill my medication and they said it had been recalled.

After investigating I found the medication had been contaminated with a known carcinogen and looking up the side effects all my symptoms were listed.

I made up my mind right then I was done with this shit. I cut out ALL CARBS except what I get in a salad. I've now lost 20 pounds in two plus weeks and my blood pressure is right where it's supposed to be.

FYI, it was valsartan (which you were already taking) that was recalled, not necessarily the combination. I would blame the pharmacy more than the physician for dispensing a recalled medication

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-11-2018, 11:53 AM
FYI, it was valsartan (which you were already taking) that was recalled, not necessarily the combination. I would blame the pharmacy more than the physician for dispensing a recalled medication

yes, I don't blame the physician at all . The pharmacy was most likely alerted after it was already dispenced so I don't blame them either. But the chinese that made the product, well i don't blame them either. They're just doing what they're ordered to do and kill americans.

SupDock
08-11-2018, 11:55 AM
yes, I don't blame the physician at all . The pharmacy was most likely alerted after it was already dispenced so I don't blame them either. But the chinese that made the product, well i don't blame them either. They're just doing what they're ordered to do and kill americans.

:D
Congrats on the weight loss

In58men
08-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Kansas yo.

What about Kansas? It’s legal there.

TinyEvel
08-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Good for you on the lifestyle change, hog. I think America is trained to throw meds at whatever ails them and not do the lifestyle changes to reduce or try to mitigate the problem in the first place. It's bad for people but good for business.

I gave up alcohol 6 months ago, lost 20 Lbs but lately have been eating a lot of sugar (Ice cream, cookies, honeycomb candy, Whoppers, etc) and gained 5 lbs recently. I figured with out the alcohol and since I ride a bike about 10 hours a week I'd be fine. I'm now looking into anti-inflammatory foods for cycling recovery and going t out out all the treats I've been letting myself indulge in.

Just cutting the alcohol/beer eliminated probably 10,000 calories a week. :eek:

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Water pills? Are you still on them? They are your cause of sore throat and dry mouth.

Recalled contaminated heart medication? Holy Crap Batman!!!!

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2018, 04:17 PM
I would recommend looking at scientific info from people that aren't trying to sell you a remedy for it. For instance, "Dr." Berg above has his own entire subdomain for selling his keto BS: https://shop.drberg.com/keto-combo-regular

The scientists from the studies I listed above don't have hundreds of items to sell you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage healthy practices. Low carb absolutely does have benefits for some. But portraying it as an inflammation cure all just isn't honest in my opinion.

Of course you would because parade around here like DR. ****ing Science and everyone else is stupid. This just in everyone in the health industry is trying to make a buck and most scientific reports in health are done by scientists owned by big pharm with an agenda.

This is terrible advise. The massive majority in this country with rare exception will benefit dramatically from a low carb diet. Considering the average American eats WAYYYY too many carbs and the source of those carbs is generally processed sugar and food it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the benefits here. I don't think anyone said it was a cure all because nothing is. Sugar is the #1 food factor contributing to inflammation.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2018, 04:59 PM

As Lewdog (very douchtacullarly) pointed out, I have arthritis. I’m wondering if eliminating carbohydrates will eliminate some inflammation. Anymore I have no idea what the **** is based in science and what is hippie bullshit. This kind of sounds like the latter, at least in my head.

My advise would be this in order.

1. Eat an abundance of fresh organic veggies. A medium amount of sourced meats and raw nuts. Eat a small amount of organic fruits, preferably dark red or black cherries and blueberries. Both are fantastic for inflammation.

2. Do not eat processed foods and sugars, yes this includes alchohol. I know nobody is perfect but do the best you can.

3. If you are older get or make organic broth, you choose. Add a tablespoon of collagen. Pick up some tumeric extract curcumin 95% in bulk from bulksupplements.com It's super expensive any other way. Add a teaspoon to your broth when you warm it up to drink.

4. Get your gut right. There are lots of ways to do this but is critical.

5. As somebody mentioned here we are all different. You need to know what you are lacking in your system and what it has problems with. There are several ways to go about this. Find the one that you are the most comfortable with but do it. For example almost everyone has a problem properly digesting cows milk. It can very from a very little problem to huge one. My son came back that his system had real issues with black beans, go figure. Take the time, spend the money and you will be on your way.

It is hard to find the real deal glutathione cream but if you can it helps with flare ups. Hope this helps.

Buehler445
08-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

bricks
08-11-2018, 10:33 PM
You need to do more research. Carbs are not necessary except for what you get in veggies. In fact to most people they're the sole cause of obesity.

To be honest, I’ve learned from my experiences AND Im a health science major. With that being said, I’ve done a lot of research with respect to this topic and have been on plenty of keto diets myself to suggest it ain’t healthy for us.

I used to bodybuild as well and I recall going on low carb diets for my cutting phase. The biggest mistake I made was staying on these diets for too long. You know what happened to me? I lost hair bro. Yup. Thats right.

There is such a thing called gluconeogenesis. Basically, that is just a fancy term for the formation of new glucose through substrates like lactate, alanine, and glycerol. All these get metabolized by liver to create glucose if the body is not getting enough carbs. So what does that suggest? The human body needs glucose!!! And it will find ways to make it if you’re not giving your body enough carbohydrates.

And if you stay on these diets for too long like myself, its possible you could lose hair or even have organ damage somewhere!! If the body is starved of carbs for too long, it will take other macronutrients from your diet, protein, fat, break those down to make sugar and if thats a bit lacking in your diet, it’ll start breaking down muscle tissue or lean body mass tissue from your organs if it has to.

Your body does not care in that aspect because all its trying to do is protect itself to survive by making sugars for your rbcs and for your brain cells as well. Please don’t go on these diets if you happen to consider them. Learn from my mistakes and what Im telling you. Its not worth it.

*I think what you need to do is engage yourself in factual information and seperate those facts from myths. Don’t believe everything you hear. A lot of info out there with respect to dieting and exercise is bs.

Nzoner
08-13-2018, 09:22 AM
FWIW if you have Netflix this is a good watch,granted it's for the keto lifestyle but still a good watch no matter what side you're on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/61GitUC_678" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
08-13-2018, 09:29 AM
It's now a proven fact.

High sugar diets lead to inflammation.

Fasting, intermittent fasting, and low sugar diets lower inflammation.

This is a hard fact for doctors to adapt to but the literature is out there. I see a ton of vids listed on this thread and all of them mention and reference the same studies and quote the same information.

It's just like how the low carb diet (and greater protein consumption) lowered cholesterol 20 years ago. Doctors were slow to endorse it, 10 years ago started to warm up and no longer dismiss it, and about 5 years ago started to endorse it.

Now the science has caught up and we know why.

Nzoner
08-13-2018, 09:40 AM
It's now a proven fact.

It's just like how the low carb diet (and greater protein consumption) lowered cholesterol 20 years ago. Doctors were slow to endorse it, 10 years ago started to warm up and no longer dismiss it, and about 5 years ago started to endorse it.

Now the science has caught up and we know why.

Yeah some 12 years ago I weighed 281 and cholesterol and blood pressure were way too high.Told my doc I was going to try low carb and he told me try anything but that.Six months later I come back weighing 231 and he said my cholesterol and BP were perfect,even said it went against everything he'd been taught.

Ended up getting to 199 and felt great,I still do it off and on and always feel better when I'm on.

Bewbies
08-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Honestly, if you want to reduce inflammation I'd go vegan. You're basically eating anti-inflammatories entirely, give yourself a month or two and you'll probably feel amazing.

I've made it about a month vegan, and I have never ever felt better. Don't know why I stopped honestly.

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Honestly, if you want to reduce inflammation I'd go vegan. You're basically eating anti-inflammatories entirely, give yourself a month or two and you'll probably feel amazing.

I've made it about a month vegan, and I have never ever felt better. Don't know why I stopped honestly.

Because you wanted a steak?

Bewbies
08-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Because you wanted a steak?

Honestly, I felt so good I didn't want one. If you make real food, and don't try to mimic meat with fake shit, it's not hard and the food is good.

I think it was just a PITA with my wife and daughter not eating that way. My wife can't eat gluten, so if I make a separate diet at home we have to pretty much make 3 different meals.

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Honestly, I felt so good I didn't want one. If you make real food, and don't try to mimic meat with fake shit, it's not hard and the food is good.

I think it was just a PITA with my wife and daughter not eating that way. My wife can't eat gluten, so if I make a separate diet at home we have to pretty much make 3 different meals.

When I just eat real food and cut out all sugar and alcohol I feel awesome. I don't know if I could ever cut out all meat.

loochy
08-13-2018, 03:14 PM
the carbs cause the inflamation
the meat causes the inflamation

so only eat fat?
Posted via Mobile Device

BucEyedPea
08-13-2018, 06:31 PM

My allergist claims eliminating foods you specially get inflammation from, including food allergies/sensitivities can aggravate arthritis and/or create inflammation. Can only be found through blood work. Every body is different but carbs turn to sugar and sugar is commonly inflammatory.

Where's your arthritis?

Drink some aloe vera gel, a tiny bit in some water, turmeric help inflammation. Aloe Barbendensis Miller has the most active compounds for arthritis is naturally anti-inflammatory. Need at least 80% strength. MSM gels also are anti-inflammatory. Stay away from creams or gels with parabens used a preservatives. I don't care what NIH says about a little won't harm, they're in so many things it's not just a little anymore. Was a WSJ article about them where I think it was Walmart told J&J to remove them, as they were being found in people with breast and skin cancer. Lot of companies have been removing them.

BucEyedPea
08-13-2018, 06:38 PM
All plants that in the nightshade family are inflammatory. Tomatoes, eggplant for two. I'd rather get tested though 'cuz it can vary from person to person.

Oh and what kind of arthritis is it? There's different kinds.

rabblerouser
08-13-2018, 07:09 PM
I had pizza for dinner. I then took my hydrocodone, gabepentin, and Aleve. I don't know if the inflammation went down but I feel better than I did before I ate pizza.

It was pepperoni in case you were wondering

ROFL

rabblerouser
08-13-2018, 07:10 PM
the carbs cause the inflamation
the meat causes the inflamation

so only eat fat?
Posted via Mobile Device
The Mrs. Sprat Diet?

Buehler445
08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
My allergist claims eliminating foods you specially get inflammation from, including food allergies/sensitivities can aggravate arthritis and/or create inflammation. Can only be found through blood work. Every body is different but carbs turn to sugar and sugar is commonly inflammatory.

Where's your arthritis?

Drink some aloe vera gel, a tiny bit in some water, turmeric help inflammation. Aloe Barbendensis Miller has the most active compounds for arthritis is naturally anti-inflammatory. Need at least 80% strength. MSM gels also are anti-inflammatory. Stay away from creams or gels with parabens used a preservatives. I don't care what NIH says about a little won't harm, they're in so many things it's not just a little anymore. Was a WSJ article about them where I think it was Walmart told J&J to remove them, as they were being found in people with breast and skin cancer. Lot of companies have been removing them.

Arthritis is in my hands and knees.

Never tried aloe. But I take glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM. Does topical application make any difference?

All plants that in the nightshade family are inflammatory. Tomatoes, eggplant for two. I'd rather get tested though 'cuz it can vary from person to person.

Oh and what kind of arthritis is it? There's different kinds.

I haven’t had it formally diagnosed but I don’t have the blood markers for rheumatoid. I’m assuming just standard osteo arthritis.

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Never tried aloe. But I take glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM. Does topical application make any difference?

I haven’t had it formally diagnosed but I don’t have the blood markers for rheumatoid. I’m assuming just standard osteo arthritis.

What she said about doing the blood test to see what your food allergies are is really important as I mentioned earlier. There is actually another way to do it but it is most likely unavailable there. What she said about tumeric is right on the money. I use the curcumin extract powder that I buy in bulk and mix with broth. If you do that and eat red or black cherries you will notice within a few days the difference. I have it in my hands as well from years of lifting and martial arts

Fish
08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
What she said about doing the blood test to see what your food allergies are is really important as I mentioned earlier. There is actually another way to do it but it is most likely unavailable there. What she said about tumeric is right on the money. I use the curcumin extract powder that I buy in bulk and mix with broth. If you do that and eat red or black cherries you will notice within a few days the difference. I have it in my hands as well from years of lifting and martial arts

You might be referencing some older information that has since been proven false. Not trying to be a jerk. But the most recent meta-study on tumeric/curcumin looks at >120 different scientific studies and includes 164 references. Please take a look at the meta-study below in the link and the included references if you're curious. Here's the result:

Curcumin has recently been classified as both a PAINS (pan-assay interference compounds) and an IMPS (invalid metabolic panaceas) candidate. The likely false activity of curcumin in vitro and in vivo has resulted in >120 clinical trials of curcuminoids against several diseases. No double-blinded, placebo controlled clinical trial of curcumin has been successful. This manuscript reviews the essential medicinal chemistry of curcumin and provides evidence that curcumin is an unstable, reactive, nonbioavailable compound and, therefore, a highly improbable lead.

[...]

At first, curcumin appeared to offer great potential for the development of a therapeutic from a NP (turmeric) that is classified as a GRAS material. Unfortunately, no form of curcumin, or its closely related analogues, appears to possess the properties required for a good drug candidate (chemical stability, high water solubility, potent and selective target activity, high bioavailability, broad tissue distribution, stable metabolism, and low toxicity). The in vitro interference properties of curcumin do, however, offer many traps that can trick unprepared researchers into misinterpreting the results of their investigations.

[...]

With respect to curcumin/curcuminoids and in vivo studies and clinical trials, we believe there is rather “much ado about nothing”. Certainly, the low systemic exposure levels reported in clinical trials do not support its further investigation as a therapeutic. Circumventing the requirement for systemic circulation, curcumin might provide benefit by acting on gut microbiota. Thus far, there is limited evidence to support this hypothesis, which will also limit the utility of this delivery method. Delivery systems such as lipid vesicles, nanoparticles, and nanofibers might be able to boost the bioavailability of 1, but this could also conceivably narrow its therapeutic window and lead to off-target toxicity by aforementioned processes. Available evidence demonstrates curcumin will ultimately degrade upon release into physiologic media, no matter the delivery mechanism. Analogues of 1 might address some of the delivery challenges but would be new chemical entities and would have to proceed through expensive preclinical work to be approved for clinical trials. In our opinion, analogues of curcumin are based on a fairly weak foundation.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b00975

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick. Just offering what I've found to be the most recent scientific information about the subject. If you have more recent contradictory studies/information, I'd gladly refer to that, feel free to offer it up.

KS Smitty
08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Science is a cruel mistress.

Wish I could help Buehler, arthritis pain is no fun.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Have you tried Diclofenac? It's topical ibuprofen. You get topical absorption with limited systemic side effects of NSAIDs, like GI irritation and narrowing of your afferent arterioles (which drops your GFR).

Buehler445
08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Have you tried Diclofenac? It's topical ibuprofen. You get topical absorption with limited systemic side effects of NSAIDs, like GI irritation and narrowing of your afferent arterioles (which drops your GFR).

I have not. Does it take a prescription?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Yeah. Trade name is Voltaren.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2018, 10:04 AM
You might be referencing some older information that has since been proven false. Not trying to be a jerk. But the most recent meta-study on tumeric/curcumin looks at >120 different scientific studies and includes 164 references. Please take a look at the meta-study below in the link and the included references if you're curious. Here's the result:

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick. Just offering what I've found to be the most recent scientific information about the subject. If you have more recent contradictory studies/information, I'd gladly refer to that, feel free to offer it up.

I am sure you can find disinformation posted as scientific research produced by the pharmaceutical industry that will clown anything natural. I had huge problems with my hands from a lifetime in the dojo that caused some very painful inflammation of my hands that was so bad I thought I may not be able to ride motorcycles anymore especially since it was so bad my hand would spasm and lock up in a straight position. I went to a DACM. Curcumin when dissolved in a hot liquid in this case broth increases it's bioavailablity is what I was told. I used a three prong approach using black cherries and did what you would consider an unconventional approach to finding out what foods I have any negative effect to. I have virtually no arthritis in my hands when I use all three. I was at the gym this morning for 90 minutes doing back and bi's with no pain. I have been able to do this consistently since using this approach.

O.city
08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

I have a script pad. How much cash you got? :D

(obviously i'm just kidding)

Buehler445
08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Yeah. Trade name is Voltaren.

Many thanks sir. I’ll give it a try.

Bearcat
08-14-2018, 10:18 AM
With Google, everyone is an expert and can find exactly the evidence they need to satisfy their confirmation bias!

If keto works for you, do keto... if you see issues like not getting enough fiber, eat more fiber... or if you don't have enough energy, bump up carbs a little. Maybe go to a doctor every once in a while to make sure you're not slowly killing yourself. If you find it's not sustainable, adjust.

If high carbs/lower fat works, do that... if you see issues, adjust. Maybe see a doctor every once in a while.

If you've otherwise have found a perfect balance that works, do that.

Buehler445
08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
I have a script pad. How much cash you got? :D

(obviously i'm just kidding)

Less than my deductible to go to the MD. :D

Buehler445
08-14-2018, 10:23 AM
With Google, everyone is an expert and can find exactly the evidence they need to satisfy their confirmation bias!

If keto works for you, do keto... if you see issues like not getting enough fiber, eat more fiber... or if you don't have enough energy, bump up carbs a little. Maybe go to a doctor every once in a while to make sure you're not slowly killing yourself. If you find it's not sustainable, adjust.

If high carbs/lower fat works, do that... if you see issues, adjust. Maybe see a doctor every once in a while.

If you've otherwise have found a perfect balance that works, do that.

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I do see my doctor. I’m just tying to get some feedback before I talk to him about something.

Bearcat
08-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Not sure if this is directed at me, but I do see my doctor. I’m just tying to get some feedback before I talk to him about something.

Nope, everyone who was hijacking your thread to discuss how keto is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, depending on what you search for in Google.... instead of actually trying to answer your question (which on that point, I have nothing useful...).

In58men
08-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Tumeric pills help a lot

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2324/0509/files/10-Health-Benefits-of-Turmeric-and-Black-Pepper.jpg?v=1512736269

loochy
08-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Just don't eat because food is inflamatory.

Don't drink because water has toxins.

Don't breathe because air has pollutants.

Don't read ChiefsPlanet because everyone is an expert on everything, which is quite inflammatory.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Just don't eat because food is inflamatory.

Don't drink because water has toxins.

Don't breathe because air has pollutants.

Don't read ChiefsPlanet because everyone is an expert on everything, which is quite inflammatory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really hard for me not to turn up the blast furnace in this thread.

BucEyedPea
08-15-2018, 09:15 PM

Supposed too. There's two doctors who have books on aloe, one British who writes about his work on patients with arthritis Dr. Peter Atherton. Atherton has been able to reduce his patients medication and he recommends taking it with some MSM.

The plant is just a natural anti-inflammatory but there's 400 species over 2,200 types. The Aloe Barbadensis Miller is the most potent has the most about of helpful properties. I use the plant for burns 'cuz I burn myself a lot cooking including boiling oil accidentally spilling. Really takes the sting out fast, heals up the burn faster too. I have no scars from any of them. A nurse told me it's used in burn units.

Also heat. It helps blood flow.

I find that really incredible at your age.

BucEyedPea
08-15-2018, 09:24 PM
I am sure you can find disinformation posted as scientific research produced by the pharmaceutical industry that will clown anything natural.

He's usually cynical about anything natural that's not Big Pharma—even though they have rigged some of their own studies and get suit a LOT.

Buehler445
08-15-2018, 09:37 PM
I find that really incredible at your age.

Heh. I've had it for more than a decade. When I was 25, I was playing basketball 3 times a week and developed tendonitis in my patellar tendon. I had to go to a general practitioner before I could be referred to a sports medicine doctor or orthopedist.

So I go see this gal, and she has to do the stability test for the ACL/MCL, so she puts her hand on my kneecap and gets this bewildered look and says, "Oh my GOD. You have arthritis! You're too young for that!"

I told her I figured, but this isn't that. But since we're talking about it, what are my treatment options for it. ".....weeeellll....you can take up to 2400 MG ibueprofien per day." Gee. Thanks.

I got out of her that Glucosamine and Condoiton is the only supplement approved by the USDA to slow the loss of cartilage.

Quite the depressing visit. But yeah, I'm 35 now.

BucEyedPea
08-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Heh. I've had it for more than a decade. When I was 25, I was playing basketball 3 times a week and developed tendonitis in my patellar tendon. I had to go to a general practitioner before I could be referred to a sports medicine doctor or orthopedist.

So I go see this gal, and she has to do the stability test for the ACL/MCL, so she puts her hand on my kneecap and gets this bewildered look and says, "Oh my GOD. You have arthritis! You're too young for that!"

I told her I figured, but this isn't that. But since we're talking about it, what are my treatment options for it. ".....weeeellll....you can take up to 2400 MG ibueprofien per day." Gee. Thanks.

I got out of her that Glucosamine and Condoiton is the only supplement approved by the USDA to slow the loss of cartilage.

Quite the depressing visit. But yeah, I'm 35 now.

You might look into stem cell treatments especially for the knee. It's been around 15 years now and they've had good results. These regenerate joint cartilage and repair arthritis damage. Some it hasn't worked on but you're young enough. Insurance considers it experimental still so they won't cover it but I've heard good things about it from orthopedic doctors. Others orthopedic drs are skeptical.

NIH's website says umbilical blood cord is most effective but there's other kinds. Some use your own stem cells.

Buehler445
08-15-2018, 10:05 PM
You might look into stem cell treatments especially for the knee. It's been around 15 years now and they've had good results. These regenerate joint cartilage and repair arthritis damage. Some it hasn't worked on but you're young enough. Insurance considers it experimental still so they won't cover it but I've heard good things about it from orthopedic doctors. Others orthopedic drs are skeptical.

NIH's website says umbilical blood cord is most effective but there's other kinds. Some use your own stem cells.

I have an appointment with my MD to talk about them. I think the umbilical cord cells aren't legal in the US. I also heard they may be trying to ban all stem cells because the HHS (I think) Chief doesn't like stem cells for.....reasons.

O.city
08-16-2018, 08:15 AM
I have an appointment with my MD to talk about them. I think the umbilical cord cells aren't legal in the US. I also heard they may be trying to ban all stem cells because the HHS (I think) Chief doesn't like stem cells for.....reasons.

Rogan had Mel Gibson on talking about his dad doing SCT. It was interesting. I think you'll have to go to Panama for it though. Would be a long drive on the old John Deere.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2018, 08:18 AM

Advanced Regenerative Orthopedics in Tampa uses blood cord.

That's horrible someone is attempting to ban them. Sounds like those profiting off of knee and hip replacement surgery are feeling the heat of competition.

I went to some seminars on this because of two knee injuries in the same knee, plus surgery on the same knee at age 12 myself. The place using one's own stem cells naturally was opposed to the blood cord. I just happened to check out what NIH said about them. In 2007 I was told because of that surgery, I may get arthritis in that knee. Ultimately I didn't have to do anything as my last MRI did not show another meniscus tear.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Also, there are a lot of places claiming to use SC that are not worth pursuing or not even done by an orthopedic physician or properly trained physician in the procedure. How these are injected is pretty important.

Then there's other types of practitioners out there promising supplements etc for ST that aren't valid and don't do anything. A lot of bandwagoners.

Buehler445
08-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Rogan had Mel Gibson on talking about his dad doing SCT. It was interesting. I think you'll have to go to Panama for it though. Would be a long drive on the old John Deere.

Yeah. I listened to that one. That sounds amazing. But I imagine it takes Mel Gibson money to make that happen.

O.city
08-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Yeah. I listened to that one. That sounds amazing. But I imagine it takes Mel Gibson money to make that happen.

Yeah, it's still weird to me the reasons we don't have it like that here

Buehler445
08-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Also, there are a lot of places claiming to use SC that are not worth pursuing or not even done by an orthopedic physician or properly trained physician in the procedure. How these are injected is pretty important.

Then there's other types of practitioners out there promising supplements etc for ST that aren't valid and don't do anything. A lot of bandwagoners.

There are a couple guys in town that got stem cells. If I can’t get anywhere which my doctor I’ll talk to them and see how they got t done.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2018, 09:00 AM
I'd see if they can open the knee up and remove the Carbs.

Buehler445
08-16-2018, 09:21 AM
I'd see if they can open the knee up and remove the Carbs.

Excellent advice!

loochy
08-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Excellent advice!

Don't forget to remove all meat while you are in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
08-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Excellent advice!

In fact, just remove the entire knee. It's called bodypart fasting and it's really good for you. It's the best for removing inflammation.
Posted via Mobile Device

fan4ever
08-16-2018, 09:37 AM
THIS should be safe and not have anything to do with carbs, dairy, or meat. I have all sorts of joint pain; not arthritis but damage to my shoulders. I've discovered that staying constantly well hydrated goes a long way in minimizing the pain...if you don't mind peeing a lot.

loochy
08-16-2018, 10:01 AM
THIS should be safe and not have anything to do with carbs, dairy, or meat. I have all sorts of joint pain; not arthritis but damage to my shoulders. I've discovered that staying constantly well hydrated goes a long way in minimizing the pain...if you don't mind peeing a lot.

^ a non-retarded opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
08-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Here's the thing with carbs. It's not so much the grams of carbs, but how they are absorbed into your body. Carbs are carbs. Glucose is glucose. Fruit contains fructose, glucose, and sucrose. Snickers bars also contain glucose and sucrose. The difference is that a mango, which contains twice the number of carbs as a snickers bar (50 vs 27gms), also contains a significant amount of fiber, which slows the absorbtion of the sugars, so you don't get the same sugar spikes in the blood.

That is why whole grains, despite being high in carbs, are totally fine, and actually good for you because the high fiber content helps to slow absorbtion of all sugars in your diet, thus leveling out blood sugar. Beans and leafy greens are also high in fiber. However, black and pinto beans are so high in carbs that they would wreck a keto diet.

Bottom line is, nix the keto diet. Have some carbs in the form of beans and whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Cut back on refined sugars like those in non whole grain breads, white rice, and potatos.

Bearcat
08-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Here's the thing with carbs. It's not so much the grams of carbs, but how they are absorbed into your body. Carbs are carbs. Glucose is glucose. Fruit contains fructose, glucose, and sucrose. Snickers bars also contain glucose and sucrose. The difference is that a mango, which contains twice the number of carbs as a snickers bar (50 vs 27gms), also contains a significant amount of fiber, which slows the absorbtion of the sugars, so you don't get the same sugar spikes in the blood.

That is why whole grains, despite being high in carbs, are totally fine, and actually good for you because the high fiber content helps to slow absorbtion of all sugars in your diet, thus leveling out blood sugar. Beans and leafy greens are also high in fiber. However, black and pinto beans are so high in carbs that they would wreck a keto diet.

Bottom line is, nix the keto diet. Have some carbs in the form of beans and whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Cut back on refined sugars like those in non whole grain breads, white rice, and potatos.

The old original p90x had a nutrition plan that made a lot of sense to me... basically start with really low carbs to lose the weight, then up carbs as your workouts improve.

Off keto (for me), it's about finding a balance that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm starving myself or down a slow spiral of cravings and slowly eating more and more... and like you said, when you eventually reintroduce some carbs, do it from fruits and vegetables, etc. (one of my favorites right now is the 4g net carb tortillas that have like 15g of fiber).

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Great post. I have always said some of the worst advice I have ever seen is right here at CP. Great to see somebody that knows what they are talking about posting.

lewdog
08-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Good post. Pretty much this.

NO ONE needs full on Keto. It's not needed and it does not magically cure some disease.

I do believe in lower carbs than most Americans eat, especially if you aren't very active and trying to eat very little if any processed sugar.....But no where near a low carb level where you are in ketosis. 50-100g of carbs a day is pretty sufficient for most average people though. And unless you're replacing these carbs with very high fat foods, your look and waist line will likely improve.

Those who shouldn't do lower carbs are endurance type athletes. People biking, running or playing sports that have a high cardio component. But again if you look at the average American, this isn't them.

dirk digler
08-16-2018, 12:16 PM
The old original p90x had a nutrition plan that made a lot of sense to me... basically start with really low carbs to lose the weight, then up carbs as your workouts improve.

Off keto (for me), it's about finding a balance that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm starving myself or down a slow spiral of cravings and slowly eating more and more... and like you said, when you eventually reintroduce some carbs, do it from fruits and vegetables, etc. (one of my favorites right now is the 4g net carb tortillas that have like 15g of fiber).

I tried all kinds of diets but Keto was the only that has worked for me and I lost quite bit of weight and fat. Then I wrecked one of my knees, got over weight again, found out I was on the border of Type 2 diabetes and now I am starting over.

But I decided to do lazy Keto\low carb this time instead of hardcore Keto. I have got to have a cheat meal once a week and as tooge said some beans. So far I have lost 15 lbs and down to 185 and my goal is to get to 170.

loochy
08-16-2018, 12:35 PM
I tried all kinds of diets but Keto was the only that has worked for me and I lost quite bit of weight and fat. Then I wrecked one of my knees, got over weight again, found out I was on the border of Type 2 diabetes and now I am starting over.

But I decided to do lazy Keto\low carb this time instead of hardcore Keto. I have got to have a cheat meal once a week and as tooge said some beans. So far I have lost 15 lbs and down to 185 and my goal is to get to 170.
Yes, but are you inflamed?
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
08-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Yes, but are you inflamed?
Posted via Mobile Device

my belly was either inflamed or pregnant :)

Bearcat
08-16-2018, 01:13 PM
NO ONE needs full on Keto. It's not needed and it does not magically cure some disease.

I do believe in lower carbs than most Americans eat, especially if you aren't very active and trying to eat very little if any processed sugar.....But no where near a low carb level where you are in ketosis. 50-100g of carbs a day is pretty sufficient for most average people though. And unless you're replacing these carbs with very high fat foods, your look and waist line will likely improve.

Those who shouldn't do lower carbs are endurance type athletes. People biking, running or playing sports that have a high cardio component. But again if you look at the average American, this isn't them.

Is that a thing? I know people do the whole fasting and juice diet crap for "flushing toxins" and other vague meaningless things, but 100% of people I've talked to about keto do it for weight loss or to lose the cravings that come with a higher carb diet (and in my experience it's great for both).

Whenever I've tracked carbs on keto, I'd shoot for 50g/day, which is the high end of keto... I'm probably somewhere around there now, I'm sure under ~75g on all but the worst days (beerfests :D ).... so, I agree with the 50-100g/day, my guess is a lot of people would be surprised at how much more they eat in carbs/day (I sure as hell was the first time I started keto and actually tracked nutrition for the first time).

loochy
08-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Is that a thing?

Yes. See ITT with the "carbs cause infLAME" comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sugar causes inflammation and too much of it can cause problems. I think this is great article on it.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-and-inflammation#section1

loochy
08-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Sugar causes inflammation and too much of it can cause problems. I think this is great article on it.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-and-inflammation#section1

inFLAMEEEE!!!!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm still doing Keto. Seem to be stuck at 20 pounds for the last week and had several days where i felt weak and dead legs. Grabbed some potassium and Magnesium pills and that went away. I want to lose 20 moar but I have so much muscle I don't know if it's reasonable.

Edit: Wait, I just checked . It's not so much muscle. still fat.

loochy
08-16-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm still doing Keto. Seem to be stuck at 20 pounds for the last week and had several days where i felt weak and dead legs. Grabbed some potassium and Magnesium pills and that went away. I want to lose 20 moar but I have so much muscle I don't know if it's reasonable.

I think you're too inflamed. Stop eating all food and stop drinking all fluid. That should help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2018, 01:47 PM
I think you're too inflamed. Stop eating all food and stop drinking all fluid. That should help.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have NO arthiritis. So its working

dirk digler
08-16-2018, 02:02 PM

When I was on hardcore Keto I made sure to drink either chicken or beef broth every day. I really like the Better than Bouillon product and is more cost effective than just buying cans of broth.

Also make sure you drink a shit ton of water.

loochy
08-16-2018, 02:03 PM
I have NO arthiritis. So its working

Me either! And I just ate some Zingers!
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2018, 02:07 PM
When I was on hardcore Keto I made sure to drink either chicken or beef broth every day. I really like the Better than Bouillon product and is more cost effective than just buying cans of broth.

Also make sure you drink a shit ton of water.

I make home made broth from organic bones. One of the best decisions I ever made. I add curcumin and collagen. Friggen awesome

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2018, 02:15 PM

I don't think most of us don't realize what fat bastards we are. When I was competing in Jiu-Jitsu my walk around weight was 245 with a little ponch. I would cut to 218 and was shredded. I took my body fat and I was still at 10% I was like WTF. My instructor was like you should cut to 205 and it just felt like there was no way, I never did. Being a small shell of my former self I recently weighed in at 248 with a ponch. I decided I really need to be at 220 and I will be there in a couple weeks, maybe 3. I will have no ponch at all and will look great but with all the muscle I have lost if I wanted to get my body fat down to 10% again I would most likely have to get down to around 200. There is no way I am going to do that. I like drinking too much. Goal now is to just stay around 220 or less and I should look great. This getting old shit is for the birds.

Bearcat
08-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, there's that... I probably missed lewdog's reference/hyperbole. I think the OP's original question was rational enough to not be in the same boat as "flush teh toxins!!!"

The little bit I've read on inflammation made it seem like relatively new research and unknown (but, that was like one thing I read), as far as low-level inflammation and possible issues that arise from it.

I was doing keto before it was cool, I don't want to be associated with the next outrageous diet fad...

MahiMike
08-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Good for you. Those AMA docs are all just pushers for the drug companies. Im pushing 60 and on zero meds. Fug those guys.