PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Mechanics/SAUTO I need some advice

MTG#10
08-11-2018, 09:54 AM
My daughter has a 2006 Mercury Milan (Ford Fusion) and since I bought it for her 6 months ago she's had trouble with the blower motor. Until yesterday when it wouldn't come on we just reached under the glove box smacked it with the palm of our hand and it would work fine but now that doesn't work.

I've read online that the resistors are notorious for going bad but a lot of people have problems with the motor as well so I decided to look at the motor itself first. The plug that plugs into the motor and the plug on the motor itself are both melted inside. I tried hot wiring the motor directly to the battery and the fan turned but it created a huge hot spark at the wire. Im guessing that's because I bypassed the resistor?

The damn plug was $30 and I'm waiting for the motor to arrive at O'reilly's which is another $70. When I replace these am I at risk of melting another motor plug because the resistor could be bad as well? Is there a way to test the resistor? The resistor is $170 so I'm hoping that isn't the culprit.

One more thing that gives me hope that it isnt the resistor is before going out completely the blower worked on all speeds.

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 10:09 AM
It was probably just a little loose in the connection ski it would arc and melt the plug.

Pigtail and blower should fix it.

One good thing is now it will be under warranty for life

Buehler445
08-11-2018, 10:10 AM
I hate electricity. Real answer is wait for SAUTO

But it shouldn’t be melting shit. Check the fuses and make sure the Amps on the fuse are correct. If not you probably have a wiring problem. Something is shorting. Maybe it’s in the harness

MTG#10
08-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Great to hear, thanks guys. When I get it back together I'll let it run for awhile and check the wire/plug to see if its warm.

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 11:10 AM
12 years on a blower motor.

Not bad.The O'reilly one won't make it that far

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 11:18 AM
12 years on a blower motor.

Not bad.The O'reilly one won't make it that far

Murray makes good stuff.

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 11:52 AM
That's true, But $70???

I looked it up under my account Low $50s but I have a 5 digit account number

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 12:00 PM
That's true, But $70???

I looked it up under my account Low $50s but I have a 5 digit account number

What's that got to do with your last post?

And the price will be different at every store, and of course there's a difference between shop pricing and walk in...I can guarantee you aren't getting a bigger break than I do from them. I wrote them a check for over 4000 yesterday and that was my lowest one in months. I pay the amount in full every Friday morning. They take pretty good care of me.

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I won't buy engines from them or any parts store for that matter. They all suck, especially Marshall engines

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 01:28 PM
What's that got to do with your last post?

And the price will be different at every store, and of course there's a difference between shop pricing and walk in...I can guarantee you aren't getting a bigger break than I do from them. I wrote them a check for over 4000 yesterday and that was my lowest one in months. I pay the amount in full every Friday morning. They take pretty good care of me.

$4k in parts in a week? Dammed if you could buy right you could be yachting in style. 15% of $20K x 12 is a lot of change. ($31K a year@15%) O'reilly should furnish you with a new truck every yearROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I used to write $20 checks every month to Oreilly but for 5 locations and non of that Friday bullshit, Monthly statements....even better when 10 days 2% terms were still a thing. $5k a year discount.

You don't have the choices down there that I did in KC and St Louis. With accounts at WD's you could bypass the part stores and save an addl' 15-20%. Plus the trips, vendor dinners, and other perks. Tennaco (Monroe) was my fav with yearly cruises.

All the little WD's have been swallowed up (Worldpak account was great back then but no longer since Advance.) but the rules have changed but there are a few sources to be had if you have connections.

cooper barrett
08-11-2018, 01:32 PM
I won't buy engines from them or any parts store for that matter. They all suck, especially Marshall engines

I had bad luck with a Ford 5.0 performance engine from Jasper... Never liked them after losing money doing warranty work. It barely paid for the tech no less the hourly value of a bay.

3rd engine was a winner:D:D:D:D

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 01:42 PM
$4k in parts in a week? Dammed if you could buy right you could be yachting in style. 15% of $20K x 12 is a lot of change. ($31K a year@15%) O'reilly should furnish you with a new truck every yearROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I used to write $20 checks every month to Oreilly but for 5 locations and non of that Friday bullshit, Monthly statements....even better when 10 days 2% terms were still a thing. $5k a year discount.

You don't have the choices down there that I did in KC and St Louis. With accounts at WD's you could bypass the part stores and save an addl' 15-20%. Plus the trips, vendor dinners, and other perks. Tennaco (Monroe) was my fav with yearly cruises.

All the little WD's have been swallowed up (Worldpak account was great back then but no longer since Advance.) but the rules have changed but there are a few sources to be had if you have connections.
I get 2 percent off every Friday not sure where you think that's a thing of the past. I pay every week in Friday because I WANT to. I also pay for every tire that gets delivered when they get delivered.

I actually spent almost 10k this week in parts. Brand new Ford engine and a new transmission for a trailblazer that were purchased elsewhere. And that's not including tires sold.

And I did all of that with 2 lifts and an alignment rack with one other technician, A lube/tire guy and one part timer that tries to keep the place clean ish and my tools put away.
I think I have a reason to be proud.

And like I said oreilly's takes pretty good care of me every year.

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 01:46 PM
I had bad luck with a Ford 5.0 performance engine from Jasper... Never liked them after losing money doing warranty work. It barely paid for the tech no less the hourly value of a bay.

3rd engine was a winner:D:D:D:D

I get my engines from the same people that supply the dealers. Knock on wood I've never had a warranty claim on any of them. Hundreds

I've got a Marshall rebuild at my shop right now because it pulled rocker arm studs with a stock cam. They won't cover it so the guy pulled it from another shop and I'm going to install screw in studs.

It seemed like there were claims on every jasper and Marshall and power torque or whatever they want to call themselves now.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Goddamn, SAUTO has been busy with this place lately. He's going to have to start charging us for this shit.

And no, I still don't have that fucking hub off...

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Autozone has a sweet military discount. Sequel rebuilt engines were good til they went bankrupt doing warranty work.

CaliforniaChief
08-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Goddamn, SAUTO has been busy with this place lately. He's going to have to start charging us for this shit.

And no, I still don't have that fucking hub off...

Seriously. Can't say enough about how I've appreciate SAUTO's willingness to help with stuff. Great poster.

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Autozone has a sweet military discount. Sequel rebuilt engines were good til they went bankrupt doing warranty work.

Re read your post and see if you can figure out why it doesn't make good sense

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 03:18 PM

And no, I still don't have that fucking hub off...I can't believe it didn't work. I used to have a press thing that was 3/8 steel that broke on my hardest one and the steering trick ripped it right out

MTG#10
08-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Seriously. Can't say enough about how I've appreciate SAUTO's willingness to help with stuff. Great poster.

Agreed. I know he rubs some people the wrong way but the guy has helped me out numerous times with auto advice. He could have political takes resembling cosmo's or the maturity of Clay and I'd still consider him an asset to the board.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 03:56 PM
I can't believe it didn't work. I used to have a press thing that was 3/8 steel that broke on my hardest one and the steering trick ripped it right out
MOTHERFUCKER IS OUT NOW!

http://oi68.tinypic.com/10f847s.jpg

Got a gear puller on one of the bolts and it was enough to get it to finally pop.

Flying High D
08-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Re read your post and see if you can figure out why it doesn't make good sense

I agree Autozone could have a better discount. Good point. It makes no sense the military discount isn’t better. Good call.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 04:02 PM
I'm no expert, but to me, this seems like an excessive amount of corrosion for an 8 year old pickup.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/25iz0g5.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/1425zjo.jpg

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Sorry about the hijack MTG, we now return to your normally scheduled thread.

MTG#10
08-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Sorry about the hijack MTG, we now return to your normally scheduled thread.

Nah, take it wherever you want. I got my issue resolved, new blower motor is working great.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Nah, take it wherever you want. I got my issue resolved, new blower motor is working great.
That sucks, I was hoping I could interest you in a 2011 Dodge Dakota.

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Man that looks terrible.

stumppy
08-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Damn Bug, that looks like a helluva lot of corosion

Al Bundy
08-11-2018, 07:25 PM
I'm no expert, but to me, this seems like an excessive amount of corrosion for an 8 year old pickup.

What the hell man? Do you drive that thing on the Ice Roads or something?

stevieray
08-11-2018, 07:36 PM

rep

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Man that looks terrible.

Damn Bug, that looks like a helluva lot of corosion

What the hell man? Do you drive that thing on the Ice Roads or something?
I've only owned it for a year and a half. It was an Corps of Engineers vehicle before that, I'm thinking it sat in some water for an extended amount of time at some point.

You'd never know it from how it looked on the outside though. It was immaculate when I bought it.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2jcbomh.jpg

SAUTO
08-11-2018, 07:53 PM
ROFL I've got a few buddies that work for the corps, their rides are rode hard and put away wet normally.

stumppy
08-11-2018, 07:56 PM
I've only owned it for a year and a half. It was an Corps of Engineers vehicle before that, I'm thinking it sat in some water for an extended amount of time at some point.

You'd never know it from how it looked on the outside though. It was immaculate when I bought it.

Yup, thats it. That baby spent some time going through water.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 08:01 PM
ROFL I've got a few buddies that work for the corps, their rides are rode hard and put away wet normally.
Well they managed to do it without putting a single scratch or ding in the damn thing. I didn't even know until a couple weeks later I noticed a sticker in the door sill that said USAED Omaha US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. I had to Google USAED to figure wtf it meant.

srvy
08-11-2018, 11:16 PM

The Corps are always in mud and floods I work with them a lot. They are like land surveyors, if you cant drive to it its beating feat in and out several times hauling equipment. If you get stuck its good to make buddies with a operator and his trackhoe. A cooler of iced down beer after work and they will pull ya out of anything.

Bugeater
08-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Well sonofabitch...it just dawned on me. Srvy mentioned floods...the Missouri river flooded the hell out of this area in 2011. Those cocksuckers must have been out driving that thing through floodwaters when it was brand new.

Just my fucking luck...:shake:

Buehler445
08-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Weird the corps would buy a light duty pickup to abuse.

Do you have a die grinder? I’d buy a wire brush wheel and try to clean that up before I put it back together.

Buy some neverseez and put on the bolts.

Bugeater
08-12-2018, 10:34 AM
I don't know that it was necessarily "abused" or that it even saw heavy use. It appeared to be very well taken care of, I was surprised to find out it was a fleet vehicle. Hell I had it for over a year before I even really noticed how bad the undercarriage was, but as you know, I had a lot of other stuff on my mind last year.

I did clean it up real well before I put it back together. At least I know what I'm in for when I do the other side.

srvy
08-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Those fleet vehicles are well taken care of and are kept only 2 to 3 years. All routine maintenance must be strictly adhered our fleets have bumper to bumper service agreements that cover everything from oil changes to tire rotations. Major repairs or maintenance over a certain amount must be approved but have never had a denial.

Bugeater
08-12-2018, 10:58 AM
If that's true that would mean there was another private owner before me. I didn't do a history check on it, might just do that out of curiosity.

I still think the damage had to be done by the corps when it was fairly new, it makes way too much sense.

cooper barrett
08-14-2018, 07:37 AM
I never paid weekly but they took away the 2% option on monthly billing years ago. 2% on weekly billing makes sense.

When you start buying long blocks and trannys the bucks add up but $4K a week in misc parts. Cough.

Ti

I get 2 percent off every Friday not sure where you think that's a thing of the past. I pay every week in Friday because I WANT to. I also pay for every tire that gets delivered when they get delivered.

I actually spent almost 10k this week in parts. Brand new Ford engine and a new transmission for a trailblazer that were purchased elsewhere. And that's not including tires sold.

And I did all of that with 2 lifts and an alignment rack with one other technician, A lube/tire guy and one part timer that tries to keep the place clean ish and my tools put away.
I think I have a reason to be proud.

And like I said oreilly's takes pretty good care of me every year.

BigRichard
08-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Just wanted to come in and say thanks to SAUTO as well. He has always been a help when asking auto questions. Thanks man!

Lzen
08-14-2018, 12:57 PM

I think I found the problem.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/141258453872-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Buehler445
08-14-2018, 03:00 PM
I think I found the problem.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/141258453872-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Yeah, At least Ford circles the problem.

SAUTO
08-14-2018, 03:02 PM
I never paid weekly but they took away the 2% option on monthly billing years ago. 2% on weekly billing makes sense.

When you start buying long blocks and trannys the bucks add up but $4K a week in misc parts. Cough.

Ti

what does cough mean? that im FOS? and whats the difference between 2% on a monthly or weekly? it all adds up the same. FTR i pay my napa account monthly and i get 2% on it too...

the only people that dont get t are the ones who are slow paying, maybe that was your issue...

my misc. parts bill was over 4k last week and i took off tuesday. the engine and transmission and dealer parts took it over 10k. thats the truth. i not a liar or delusional like you...

Lzen
08-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Yeah, At least Ford circles the problem.

ROFL

El Jefe
08-15-2018, 07:33 AM

That's pretty typical for what we see up here after about 5years on our roadways. I'm sure you guys use Salt on your roads down there in the winter right? It is not uncommon for us to see 3-4 year old cars with wheel bearings like that, sometimes we spend more time cleaning the knuckle/housing up than we do knocking the bearing out. Ohio salts the road excessively and that's why everything in about 10 year is almost swiss cheese underneath.

Bugeater
08-15-2018, 09:33 AM
They don't use salt anymore, they spray something on the roads now, I think it's worse than salt. As far as whether that is typical I don't know, but I can tell you my 2002 Grand Cherokee with 180k on it only has a fraction of the rust that truck has on it.

Anyway, I got the other side done, it was just as bad, but at least that horrendous noise is gone. It's like a brand new truck now.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-15-2018, 09:47 AM
They don't use salt anymore, they spray something on the roads now, I think it's worse than salt. As far as whether that is typical I don't know, but I can tell you my 2002 Grand Cherokee with 180k on it only has a fraction of the rust that truck has on it.

Anyway, I got the other side done, it was just as bad, but at least that horrendous noise is gone. It's like a brand new truck now.

calcium chloride

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 08:03 AM
This fucking truck. Been losing brake pedal pressure lately, almost going to the floor. No obvious leaks anywhere up front or anywhere else, so I assume a wheel cylinder shit the bed in the back. Wrestled both the drums off yesterday and....everything is dry.

So I'm assuming master cylinder going bad...? Seems unusual as in I've hardly ever replaced a master cylinder in anything and they don't seem like they fail very often and it's not like the truck is that old. It does have ABS so there's a bunch extra gizmos on it I know nothing about.

Help?

notorious
11-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Obviously needs the antifreeze topped off.

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking the goddamn truck has AIDS.

SAUTO
11-30-2018, 08:56 AM
sounds like either a master cylinder or abs pump bypassing, you dont have a loose wheel bearing again do you?

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 08:58 AM
LMAO wheel bearings are still good I think. Why would that affect the brakes anyway? It didn't before.

cooper barrett
11-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Wheel bearingROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Buehler445
11-30-2018, 12:26 PM
This fucking truck. Been losing brake pedal pressure lately, almost going to the floor. No obvious leaks anywhere up front or anywhere else, so I assume a wheel cylinder shit the bed in the back. Wrestled both the drums off yesterday and....everything is dry.

So I'm assuming master cylinder going bad...? Seems unusual as in I've hardly ever replaced a master cylinder in anything and they don't seem like they fail very often and it's not like the truck is that old. It does have ABS so there's a bunch extra gizmos on it I know nothing about.

Help?

Does the ABS light come on?

IIRC, it was ran in salt? It could have damaged the cylinder. On our hydraulic shit, if the rod can get corroded or rusty and hack up the seal when it cycles then it will bypass. That leaks out, but if the barrell is pitted, it can damage the seal on the piston and bypass. Or it could be the pump.

I have no idea, I've never seen those on newer brakes, but on our junky ass tandem gas trucks that we never use the master cylinder goes out every fucking year.

LMAO wheel bearings are still good I think. Why would that affect the brakes anyway? It didn't before.

We had a Chevy that had a wheel bearing go out and it damaged the ABS sensor. It was a fucking cocksucker to figure out and we had to take it to a mechanic better than us.

Buehler445
11-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Happens yo. It was a Chevy but we just had this on one of our pickups. It didn't get mushy, but it cycled the ABS and was a pain in the cock to drive.

LiveSteam
11-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Help?

Just replaced the f-250 master cylinder. Was doing the exact same thing.. only it had 300,000 miles on it.

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Does the ABS light come on?

IIRC, it was ran in salt? It could have damaged the cylinder. On our hydraulic shit, if the rod can get corroded or rusty and hack up the seal when it cycles then it will bypass. That leaks out, but if the barrell is pitted, it can damage the seal on the piston and bypass. Or it could be the pump.

I have no idea, I've never seen those on newer brakes, but on our junky ass tandem gas trucks that we never use the master cylinder goes out every fucking year.

We had a Chevy that had a wheel bearing go out and it damaged the ABS sensor. It was a fucking cocksucker to figure out and we had to take it to a mechanic better than us.
No lights on yet, which is surprising since the pedal seems like it's going almost all the way to the floor. I'm going to replace the wheel cylinders on the rear since I have it tore apart anyway and they usually are what takes out the rear brakes. Thing does have over 100k on it now so they're probably due to take a shit.

As far as the wheel bearings, I replaced the hubs a while back, they weren't loose just noisy as hell. I'm guessing that was SAUTO fucking with me on that one.

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Just replaced the f-250 master cylinder. Was doing the exact same thing.. only it had 300,000 miles on it.
Well this one has 1/3 the mileage and is 1/3 the age. I don't recall the last time I had a master cylinder go bad, if I ever have at all. Which is kinda surprising with the parade of junkers I've owned over the years.

Buehler445
11-30-2018, 12:46 PM
No lights on yet, which is surprising since the pedal seems like it's going almost all the way to the floor. I'm going to replace the wheel cylinders on the rear since I have it tore apart anyway and they usually are what takes out the rear brakes. Thing does have over 100k on it now so they're probably due to take a shit.

As far as the wheel bearings, I replaced the hubs a while back, they weren't loose just noisy as hell. I'm guessing that was SAUTO fucking with me on that one.

Yeah, I'm no brake guy but the wheel bearing thing just happened to us this summer. It wasn't the same symptoms, but that ABS shit can do weird shit. And that sensor (on Chevys) are CRAMMED in there.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a spin while its up.

BigRichard
11-30-2018, 12:49 PM
I would chip in on a SAUTO fruit basket :)

SAUTO
11-30-2018, 05:21 PM

I've seen them have enough play that they compress the piston on the caliper as it wobbles back and forth.

Trust me on this. Proof will be when cooper laughs at me

SAUTO
11-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Happens yo. It was a Chevy but we just had this on one of our pickups. It didn't get mushy, but it cycled the ABS and was a pain in the cock to drive.

Yep. Different than what bugs talking about. Yours probably only occurred below 5 mph if I was guessing. One would drop to 0 before the rest. That's common

SAUTO
11-30-2018, 05:26 PM

As far as the wheel bearings, I replaced the hubs a while back, they weren't loose just noisy as hell. I'm guessing that was SAUTO fucking with me on that one. actually I was serious, and fucking with you a little, but I've seen a new bearing do that before when a guy didn't get it torqued right at home ... wobbles and pushes the piston in and it's like your pumping the brakes after replacement to get them towork

MTG#10
11-30-2018, 05:29 PM

cooper knows everything there is to know about everything brah. Fuck your experience.

SAUTO
11-30-2018, 05:29 PM

There it is. This guy always likes to make himself look stupid.

Bugeater
11-30-2018, 05:52 PM
There it is. This guy always likes to make himself look stupid.
All he had to do is look back in this thread and he'd have seen that the bearing is part of the hub assembly on this truck. And like me, he would now see what you're saying, with the caliper being mounted to the knuckle a loose hub would have that rotor all out of whack in there.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 04:21 AM
I've seen them have enough play that they compress the piston on the caliper as it wobbles back and forth.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL when sitting still???ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, Google it yourself, and flushing the system is the key to making hydraulic (master, calipers, and wheel cylinders to last.

Installing high end brake fluid (silicon) helps too as it does not draw moisture, is less corrosive, and more stable for longer periods. They do NOT mix.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 10:03 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL when sitting still???ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Where does he say anything about sitting still?

stumppy
12-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Ssshhhh, quiet. You're going to scare off the entertainment clown.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, Google it yourself, and flushing the system is the key to making hydraulic (master, calipers, and wheel cylinders to last.

Installing high end brake fluid (silicon) helps too as it does not draw moisture, is less corrosive, and more stable for longer periods. They do NOT mix.

To swap you have to get all of the glycol based fluid out number one. And they recommend replacement of all hoses before switching. And THEN if any moisture gets in the system it could either freeze and make the brakes not work or BOIL at 212 degrees IIRC and cause a loss of brakes.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Because checking for brake system hydraulic pressure (pedal) is something you do while driving at 40MPH... ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Where did you see where he was moving when he complained about his petal going to the floor???

3x5 test for brakes ... You pump the brake pedal THREE TIMES and hold it for FIVE SECONDS.

NOT Accelerate to 40MPH and pump the brake pedal THREE TIMES and hold it for FIVE SECONDS.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/bf/9bff4764-9bbd-5333-b0ff-74fc5756ba09/52499fd02d688.image.jpg

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 10:41 AM
And I slept in this morning and wasn't thinking clearly, obviously because I forgot the most important thing...

DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID IS NOT RECOMMENDED OR COMPATIBLE WITH ABS SYSTEMS. IT'S DANGEROUS AND CAN CAUSE A LOSS OF BRAKING DUE TO EXCESSIVE FOAM CAUSED BY THE FLUID GOING THROUGH THE ABS PUMP.

I think cooper barrett should refrain on giving anyone automobile advice on this forum anymore. He could have gotten someone killed here.

In fact it's even covered in ASE certification.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Because checking for brake system hydraulic pressure (pedal) is something you do while driving at 40MPH... ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Where did you see where he was moving when he complained about his petal going to the floor???

3x5 test for brakes ... You pump the brake pedal THREE TIMES and hold it for FIVE SECONDS.

NOT Accelerate to 40MPH and pump the brake pedal THREE TIMES and hold it for FIVE SECONDS.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/bf/9bff4764-9bbd-5333-b0ff-74fc5756ba09/52499fd02d688.image.jpg

Who said anything about 40 mph?

Honestly I should ban you from anything auto related on this forum forever. The advice you gave in this thread was WAY WRONG and potentially dangerous to people

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 11:03 AM
To swap you have to get all of the glycol based fluid out number one. And they recommend replacement of all hoses before switching. And THEN if any moisture gets in the system it could either freeze and make the brakes not work or BOIL at 212 degrees IIRC and cause a loss of brakes.

Silicon fluid cannot freeze as the max amount of moisture it can absorb is marginal vs. glycol based fluids which absorb up to 6% (.06) water and therefore have the ability to freeze and to boil as water does freeze at 32F and boil at 212F.

Silicone fluids absorb a tiny amount of moisture (on the order of 280 parts per million, or .0028%) and then absorb no more.

Silicon fluid will not freeze and boils at 500F but if you do not install the fluid in a clean, dry system (freshly rebuilt, or free of debris and water) than the free water can freeze or boil but not the brake fluid.

I never have seen that all rubber parts need to be replaced but the system must be clean and dry. IMHO, If you don't already have SS braided hoses you should install them.

A clean dry system with synthetic fluid DOT 5 in US or 5.1 in Europe should never need attention other than fluid level checks.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Silicon fluid cannot freeze as the max amount of moisture it can absorb is marginal vs. glycol based fluids which absorb up to 6% (.06) water and therefore have the ability to freeze and to boil as water does freeze at 32F and boil at 212F.

Silicon fluid will not freeze and boils at 500F but if you do not install the fluid in a clean, dry system (freshly rebuilt, or free of debris and water) than the free water can freeze or boil but not the brake fluid.

I never have seen that all rubber parts need to be replaced but the system must be clean and dry. IMHO, If you don't already have SS braided hoses you should install them.

A clean dry system with synthetic fluid DOT 5 in US or 5.1 in Europe should never need attention other than fluid level checks.

Since any moisture will not mix with the fluid the moisture freezes not the fluid.

And moisture will still get in there but that's just glossing over the bigger issue...

IT'S NOT TO BE USED IN AN ABS SYSTEM...

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Who said anything about 40 mph?

Honestly I should ban you from anything auto related on this forum forever. The advice you gave in this thread was WAY WRONG and potentially dangerous to people

If you have ABS brakes then you should see the "do not use in vehicles with ABS brakes." Warning on the bottle and in the owners manual.

I should have made a disclaimer but it says on the bottle "Do not use in ABS-equipped braking systems. Does not mix with DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1 fluids."

I was explaining that it is the fluid which becomes corrosive and why. I never suggested that anyone do this, but on my cars without ABS they are all on DOT 5 synthetic fluid as does my Kawasaki (and my bicycle) because of the fact that most cars brake fluid has absorbed so much water and formed contaminants which cause the brakes to fail.

I never suggested or implied that doing a fluid change to synthetic fluid would fix his truck. I explained why seals, o-rings, cups, lines and housing fail due to moisture and contaminates in the fluid causing problems like he is experiencing. Brake parts are made from steel and water caused a chemical reaction we all known as rust...

You let me know about that wheel bearing causing a brake petal to go to the floor. Maybe it's "Radial" tire pull.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
I explained how a wheel bearing could make a brake peDal go to the floor, I've posted articles explaining radial tire pull to you.

And you definitely implied that people should change their fluid over. Otherwise you never would have mentioned it when 90 percent of these people have a vehicle with abs

You didn't KNOW it's not for use in abs vehicles.

In other words... it's time to shut the fuck up

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Since any moisture will not mix with the fluid the moisture freezes not the fluid.

And moisture will still get in there but that's just glossing over the bigger issue...

IT'S NOT TO BE USED IN AN ABS SYSTEM...

Brake systems are a closed system that once converted to synthetic fluid never needs to be opened. The only way water gets in is by failure to prepare a clean dry system in the first place or by physical damage causing a leak.

Needless to say, failure to flush brake systems, with non synthetic fluid, often and early is the cause for the majority of hydraulic issues in brake systems.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 12:16 PM
I explained how a wheel bearing could make a brake peDal go to the floor, I've posted articles explaining radial tire pull to you. A wheel bearing will not, I REPEAT NOT, cause a brake petal to drop to the floor because it is not wobbling when sitting still...When moving I can see a horrid brake pulsation but still don't see the petal dropping to the floor.

And you definitely implied that people should change their fluid over. Otherwise you never would have mentioned it when 90 percent of these people have a vehicle with abs

You didn't KNOW it's not for use in abs vehicles. Ya you keep telling yourself that...

In other words... it's time to shut the **** up

I keep forgetting your the best wrench you have ever met.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I keep forgetting your the best wrench you have ever met.

Wait, wait? So a brake peDAl (seems like you're not sure how to even spell it) can't go to the floor while driving. Again no one said it was while sitting still. And I've personally SEEN exactly what I described.

You can argue all you want but you're still going to be 100 percent wrong here.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:26 PM
I don't get why you are so stuck throwing in "sitting still" which was never brought up. And I realize he didn't say moving either. Which is why I said it could be a master cylinder, abs pump OR wheel bearing (which I thought of since I know he replaced them fairly recently and have seen issues like I described)

That's all part of trying to give the guy some direction on where to go from where he's at.

You are NOT trying to help in his issue at all.

Don Corlemahomes
12-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Cooper, what do you do for a living? Just curious.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:29 PM
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/brake-low-spongy-pedal.html

Here you dumb fuck. From the ASE study guide.

Now PLEASE stop giving people bad and sometimes DANGEROUS advice on this forum.

Fish
12-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Nobody should ever listen to cooper doucher about anything. His posts are shit. All of them. He even fucks up the nudey threads.

Sassy Squatch
12-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Here you dumb fuck. From the ASE study guide.

LMAO Anyone who takes advice from cooper barrett deserves what happens.

Bugeater
12-01-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't believe too many people even pay attention to anything he says. I know I sure the hell don't.

stumppy
12-01-2018, 12:42 PM

From what I can tell he's a brain surgeon, rocket scientist, part time nascar mechanic............................in his spare time.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Wait, wait? So a brake peDAl (seems like you're not sure how to even spell it) can't go to the floor while driving. Again no one said it was while sitting still. And I've personally SEEN exactly what I described.

You can argue all you want but you're still going to be 100 percent wrong here.

Not caused by a wheel bearing....

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Not caused by a wheel bearing....

This disagrees.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:52 PM
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/brake-pedal-to-floor-wheel-bearing.500483/

Here's some real world guys who had the issue and fixed it and then had to argue with cooper about it

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 12:55 PM
There are hundreds of articles out there about a pedal that goes to the floor and almost every one of them recommends checkingthe wheel bearings.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Here you dumb ****. From the ASE study guide.

I recall it looking more like this....
Which of the following conditions can cause brake pedal fade?
a. Seized wheel cylinder piston
check
b. Brake drum machined beyond its limit
c. Leakage past the master cylinder cups
d. Air in the hydraulic system

This question has the word EXCEPT. For this question, look for the choice that could NOT cause the described situation. Read the entire question carefully before choosing your answer. All of these would cause a low brake pedal, EXCEPT:
a. Brake adjustment
b. Loose wheel bearing
c. Low brake fluid
check
d. Seized caliper piston

The complaint was a petal dropping nearly to the floor to where he removed the drums expecting to see leaking wheel cylinders. Spongy was not the complaint.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/brake-pedal-to-floor-wheel-bearing.500483/

Here's some real world guys who had the issue and fixed it and then had to argue with cooper about it

Didn't watch. I think this proves your point.. You win,

but I'll bet you a Bourbon County Stout that it is not a wheel bearing... Shipped UPS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hQO6h4dQAaI?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Low spongy peDal describes a peDal that is dropping nearly to the floor...

Which, as ASE explains, could be caused by a faulty wheel bearing

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 01:37 PM
I already explained that it's most likely not a wheel bearing, in fact i wouldn't have even mentioned it if I hadn't known he had replaced them recently. Improper torque will make them fail quickly.

Bugeater
12-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Give it up man. He clearly can't get it through his fat head that on this vehicle the bearing is part of the entire hub assembly even though there are pictures that show it as such.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Low spongy peDal describes a peDal that is dropping nearly to the floor...

Which, as ASE explains, could be caused by a faulty wheel bearing

It's a for profit study exam. Why do you think a warped rotor or a bent hub was not on the list? They effectively create the same condition of the caliper piston being forced back into the housing. An out of round brake drum will do the same thing pressing the brake shoes back into the wheel cylinder.

Like the ASE test question addressing that a VD issue CAN be caused by moisture in top of a battery question...ya, It could but...

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 02:25 PM
The adjuster and e brake rod won't let an out of round drum push in a wheel cylinder.

Wrong again.

And a warped rotor or bent hub won't move near as much as a wheel bearing.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Give it up man. He clearly can't get it through his fat head that on this vehicle the bearing is part of the entire hub assembly even though there are pictures that show it as such.

It doesn't come into play when testing in a stationary position. Is you petal dropping lower when you're driving then when sitting still???

Do you have an E brake that works? What happens when you apply it and then apply the brakes???

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Than.

It should be than.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 02:29 PM
And its pedal. With a fucking d

Bugeater
12-01-2018, 02:36 PM
LMAO

Bugeater
12-01-2018, 02:39 PM
sounds like either a master cylinder or abs pump bypassing,
Anyway, back to the post that started it all, is there a way to troubleshoot to determine which of these could be causing the problem?

I replaced the wheel cylinders and bled the system but still the same problem. Also checked the hubs just for fun and everything is tight up front.

SAUTO
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM
I would go after the master cylinder next.

cooper barrett
12-01-2018, 02:44 PM
I guess you could get a side gig working for the spelling police. For now on I will white phonically..:D:D

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/CA4TO1feIlsRy" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/90s-hooked-on-phonics-CA4TO1feIlsRy">via GIPHY</a></p>

MTG#10
12-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Everything we all do, and better.

In58men
07-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Okay, so my 2013 Hyundai Accent had difficulty turning over in 3 different situations. I got it go after the 3rd try and it felt somewhat sluggish and RPM gauge wasn’t moving (0 RPMs). I used my volt meter to check battery and alternator and both checked out good.

The car fires up just fine now, but I think it’ll happen again.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 04:14 PM
By difficulty turning over do you mean it cranks weird or not at all?

Or it cranked fine but didn't start up and run?

Could be a crank sensor if the latter.

In58men
07-27-2019, 04:19 PM
By difficulty turning over do you mean it cranks weird or not at all?

Or it cranked fine but didn't start up and run?

Could be a crank sensor if the latter.

Cranks weird. Just not wanting to start. After the 2nd/3rd time I turn the key it’ll fire up. But the zero ROMs and sluggish acceleration had me a little worried.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Cranks weird. Just not wanting to start. After the 2nd/3rd time I turn the key it’ll fire up. But the zero ROMs and sluggish acceleration had me a little worried.

So it cranks over but didnt fire up. Kinda hit and miss feeling?

Did it smoke when it started?

In58men
07-27-2019, 04:24 PM
So it cranks over but didnt fire up. Kinda hit and miss feeling?

Did it smoke when it started?

It fired up, it was just being hesitant and not wanting to. No smoke.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 04:47 PM
I'd get the crank sensor checked closely.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Maybe cam sensor too

ChiefsOne
07-27-2019, 05:34 PM
SAUTO, what town are you in? I’m a small time dealer and always have stuff that I need worked on.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 05:36 PM
SAUTO, what town are you in? I’m a small time dealer and always have stuff that I need worked on.
I'm an hour 20 or so north of Springfield.

ChiefsOne
07-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Too bad for me I guess, I need someone local.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 05:42 PM

I figured. Lol.

SAUTO
07-27-2019, 05:43 PM

Did you have a roush recently?

Bugeater
07-27-2019, 08:18 PM
I would make the drive to go see Sauto.

In58men
07-27-2019, 08:21 PM
I would make the drive to go see Sauto.

What if my car isn’t running?

Bugeater
07-27-2019, 08:22 PM
What if my car isn’t running?

1. Sink it in a river
2. Report it stolen
3. Profit

In58men
07-27-2019, 08:30 PM
1. Sink it in a river
2. Report it stolen
3. Profit

But what if you live in California and there’s no water?

Bugeater
07-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Ocean dude. Sink it in the ocean. And then take a bus to Missouri and buy a better car from burt.

In58men
07-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Ocean dude. Sink it in the ocean. And then take a bus to Missouri and buy a better car from burt.

I think SAUTO might be right though, could be an easy fix. If not, at least I can check it off the list. Never even heard of a fucking crank sensor lol.

Bugeater
07-27-2019, 10:08 PM
OK FUCK DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE THEN

In58men
07-27-2019, 10:22 PM
OK **** DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE THEN

ROFL

It’s in the ocean as we speak, fam.

In58men
08-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Damn I think SAUTO nailed it. Crank sensor is rusted up pretty good.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190803/85383ed22d60786cc5869d8a0734e5c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk