PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs After ‘kick in the pants,’ Chiefs’ O-line pledges to keep Mahomes cleaner on Friday

pugsnotdrugs19
08-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Article from the KC Star this Sunday with some needed encouragement: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article216549170.html

Full article in the spoiler tags below:

By Brooke Pryor/KC Star

ST. JOSEPH —

The way center Mitch Morse sees it, Thursday night was the kind of reality check the Chiefs’ offensive line needed.

The first string of linemen played only nine snaps in the 17-10 preseason loss to the Texans, but those nine snaps revealed plenty about the group tasked with protecting the Chiefs’ young quarterback this season.

Patrick Mahomes was hit on four of those snaps, including on the very first one.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Morse said. “You are not going to come off of that and be OK with how it went. Sometimes you need a kick in the pants to rev it up, get out there and see what you need to work on. If anything, we are glad it happened now. We wish it hadn’t happened, but if it’s going to happen, now is the time so we can get out there and be all-cylinders firing by the end of training camp.

“It’s not going to be perfect next game. We are just going to get better little by little every day. That’s all we can ask for.”

After being drilled from behind on the first play of the day — Houston’s Brennan Scarlett and Christian Covington beat left tackle Eric Fisher and left guard Cam Erving — Mahomes got through the final three snaps of the first series without taking another hit.

But the line broke down even more on the second series.

Mahomes delivered a clean screen pass to Tyreek Hill to open the series, and followed up with another clean completion to Travis Kelce, getting the ball off just and the Texans’ pressure ramped up.

Mahomes ended his outing by taking three consecutive hits, beginning with a sack as Angelo Blackson slipped under Mitchell Schwartz to make the initial tackle. Soon after, Duke Ejiofor and Scarlett converged on Mahomes as they beat tight end Demetrius Harris and Fisher, respectively.

On the next snap, Mahomes targeted Kelce but badly overthrew him in the corner, absorbing a hard hit from Ejiofor as the outside linebacker spun around Schwartz to hit Mahomes with ball leaving his hand.

The series ended on the next play when Mahomes was taken down by Ejiofor, Covington and Carlos Watkins, grounding the ball right before he was tackled.

“Protecting the quarterback is something we work very hard at,” offensive line coach Andy Heck said Sunday. “We’ve got to continue to work hard at it. You see on the first play of the game, our quarterback got hit. As an O-line, that’s not acceptable. We know the importance of protecting the quarterback, particularly early in the game. So we’re busting our butts out here, working on throwing our hands, making sure we’re accurate with those punches in our technique.”

Even after the breakdowns in Thursday’s game, the top offensive line unit remained the same in Saturday and Sunday’s practices until right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif left early to be evaluated for a head injury. With Duvernay-Tardif out, second-teamer Andrew Wylie took over at right guard.

Each first-string player on the Chiefs’ line — LT Fisher, LG Cam Erving, C Morse, RG Duvernay-Tardif, RT Schwartz — has at least four years of experience in the NFL. Fisher has six years’ experience with the Chiefs, and Schwartz has been in the league seven years.

Even so, the group still struggled to jump into the rhythm of a game on Thursday night.

“What I saw out of that group was great effort and intensity and probably a little bit of jitters and over doing some things,” Heck said. “We’ve got a high standard. We’ve been a young O-line in the past, but right now, we’re one of the older, more experienced groups on this team. We expect a lot out of those guys and a lot out of ourselves in that area.

“So we know that we’ve got to amp up the intensity, put the pressure on ourselves, raise that bar a little bit and keep working hard.”

The Chiefs’ line will have a chance to give Mahomes a smoother start against the Falcons on Friday night before heading to Chicago the next week.

“I think you want to give the first few plays, your quarterback an opportunity to get a rhythm going,” Morse said. “As an offensive line, we need to do a better job to give him that opportunity. So we go out there and we do what we’re told. That’s part of the gig.

“Coach puts together a great first few plays, first few drives, and that’s our chance to get out there and really protect.”

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article216549170.html#storylink=cpy

Sassy Squatch
08-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Jesus. Andy Heck sounds like a parent telling his child "at least you tried." How about calling them out for how badly they fucking sucked and deeming it unacceptable. Starting QB taking a hit on 4 out of 9 plays???!?!? What the fuck kind of standard is that?

srvy
08-12-2018, 04:07 PM
I stopped reading at "The way center Mitch Morse sees it"

pugsnotdrugs19
08-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Jesus. Andy Heck sounds like a parent telling his child "at least you tried." How about calling them out for how badly they ****ing sucked and deeming it unacceptable. Starting QB taking a hit on 4 out of 9 plays???!?!? What the **** kind of standard is that?

What you have to hope for is that he is saying those things behind closed doors to the linemen themselves. If they don’t step up from here, then I think you call them out publicly.

JakeF
08-12-2018, 04:30 PM
As far as i can tell, Andy Heck sucks.

MahiMike
08-12-2018, 04:40 PM
As far as i can tell, Andy Heck sucks.

Well Heck fellas.

eDave
08-12-2018, 04:42 PM
We'll see...

Eleazar
08-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Hopefully Mahomes doesn't develop happy feet and lose his confidence in the pocket when he's running for his life all year

SuperBowl4
08-12-2018, 04:52 PM
What the heck?

GMitch
08-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Hopefully Mahomes doesn't develop happy feet and lose his confidence in the pocket when he's running for his life all year

Did you ever see any of his college games? Worst O-line in the country. He was the only thing keeping that team going.

frozenchief
08-12-2018, 04:58 PM
I’m afraid Tom Cable > Andy Heck

Tribal Warfare
08-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Seeing is believing we've heard the same shit this week by the defense concerning stopping the run

Coochie liquor
08-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Andy Heck has to be the worst o line coach in the league. Ok maybe Dungvers is worse...

RunKC
08-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Andy Heck did a great job with LDT. He’s also done a great job with Morse (when he’s healthy). He also did a great job with Fulton.

Fisher is who he is and Erving should not be a starting OL, ever.

Sorry but LG is on Veach and Dorsey.

milkman
08-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Talk is cheap.

Rain Man
08-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Andy Heck has to be the worst o line coach in the league. Ok maybe Dungvers is worse...

Andy was the guy across from DT in the seven-sack game. I've always kind of wondered about the wisdom of having an offensive line coach who holds the record for most sacks yielded in a game when he was playing.

Simply Red
08-12-2018, 08:31 PM
It's all vanilla - they don't wanna tip their hand - blah blah blah ...

http://i66.tinypic.com/mrrbjt.jpg

FloridaMan88
08-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Atlanta looked terrible in their first preseason game so Friday will have some interesting urgency for a second preseason game.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 08:49 PM

Texas Tech prevents this from happening.:D But your point well taken.:clap:

dlphg9
08-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I hate the preseason. It means nothing, so I'm sure the starters don't give a shit about trying their hardest in a pointless game that has no effect on their lives or if they start or not.

Eleazar
08-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Did you ever see any of his college games? Worst O-line in the country. He was the only thing keeping that team going.

He might have been able to run away from everyone on the defense in college but that's not going to work at the NFL level.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:25 PM
I hate the preseason. It means nothing, so I'm sure the starters don't give a shit about trying their hardest in a pointless game

I hate the pre-season as well BUT it does matter for mojo and chemistry "ESPECIALLY" with a new QB that you have to protect so that he doesn't get happy feet. 4 out of the 5 have played together for 3yrs now and all have been PAID and all have just played average in those 3yrs. Nothing like the lack of urgency in a talentless overpaid o-line that can ruin a talented new QB in a hurry.

IT DOES MATTER !!:shrug:

RealSNR
08-12-2018, 09:47 PM
I’d be more encouraged if they said something besides “We’re just gonna continue to work and get better.”

That implies that you’re not going to change your approach. You’re just going to do more of the practice that led you to play like utter shit.

Change something. Say, “we’re gonna watch more film” or “we’re gonna really hammer fundamentals nonstop.”

Don’t just “Keep working hard.” You know who else is just going to keep working hard? The Texans defense and everybody else who will abuse Fisher and Erving this season

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:51 PM
I’d be more encouraged if they said something besides “We’re just gonna continue to work and get better.”

That implies that you’re not going to change your approach. You’re just going to do more of the practice that led you to play like utter shit.

Change something. Say, “we’re gonna watch more film” or “we’re gonna really hammer fundamentals nonstop.”

Don’t just “Keep working hard.” You know who else is just going to keep working hard? The Texans defense and everybody else who will abuse Fisher and Erving this season

So are you worried about our o-line and 2ndary yet?

Simply Red
08-12-2018, 09:51 PM

Eric Fisher and O-Line fierce strike next week.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:52 PM
He might have been able to run away from everyone on the defense in college but that's not going to work at the NFL level.

True.

JakeF
08-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Andy Heck did a great job with LDT. He’s also done a great job with Morse (when he’s healthy). He also did a great job with Fulton.

Fisher is who he is and Erving should not be a starting OL, ever.

Sorry but LG is on Veach and Dorsey.
Heck was also in charge of our offensive line when they couldn't handle stunts for 2 or 3 years straight. It seems like under Heck our offensive line develops slowly and lacks polish. We can't blame poor offensive line play on Alex Smith anymore.

RealSNR
08-12-2018, 10:26 PM
So are you worried about our o-line and 2ndary yet?

I would be fine if they’d just do the responsible thing and bench fucking Erving. He was NEVER in my assessment of the ability of the OL.

The secondary was never something I was confident about. I DID say, however, that we were better at CB than safety. That definitely appears to be the case. We have a few corners who can kind of play meh. We have exactly ONE safety, and now he’s bound for another Achilles tear apparently.

We REALLY need Eric Reid. I wish Clark wasn’t a fucking asshole and would just tell Veach to fucking sign him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Andy was the guy across from DT in the seven-sack game. I've always kind of wondered about the wisdom of having an offensive line coach who holds the record for most sacks yielded in a game when he was playing.

You'd think he would have changed his name to Andy Godfuckingdammit after that game.

-King-
08-12-2018, 10:40 PM

Lol watch film in preseason?

The clearly thought Texans would play extra vanilla like they did. Obviously they were wrong but they don't really need to change anything. Just take preseason a little more seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

srvy
08-12-2018, 10:49 PM

The clearly thought Texans would play extra vanilla like they did. Obviously they were wrong but they don't really need to change anything. Just take preseason a little more seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats a bit of a stretch dont ya think? That shitty O line has any delusions of grandeur that they are good and all safe then we really have problems.

-King-
08-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Thats a bit of a stretch dont ya think? That shitty O line has any delusions of grandeur that they are good and all safe then we really have problems.

I don't think it's delusions of grandeur. A lot of vets just aren't motivated to barely try in preseason games. Its a bigger stretch to suggest that 2 players who were average at worst last year just totally forgot how to play the position.
Posted via Mobile Device

dlphg9
08-12-2018, 11:19 PM
I don't think it's delusions of grandeur. A lot of vets just aren't motivated to barely try in preseason games. Its a bigger stretch to suggest that 2 players who were average at worst last year just totally forgot how to play the position.
Posted via Mobile Device

These fuckin idiots just want something to bitch about

RealSNR
08-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I don't fucking know. I'm not an NFL coach or player. I don't know what they have to change. They just have to change something if the best they can do was the product we saw last week.

If they CAN do better without changing their routine, then, uhhh... they should do that. Like... now.

RealSNR
08-12-2018, 11:37 PM
We're fucked. From Matt Lane's training camp report yesterday:

Cam Erving is the starting left guard—and there is no real competition there. No one will ever say the guy can’t get out into space and cover ground.

OKchiefs
08-12-2018, 11:47 PM
What the fuck happened to Ehinger?

And these guys should all be embarrassed getting whooped by the Texans backups. It'd be understandable if it was Clowney and Watt whooping them, but it wasn't. This OL is full of soft pussies.

-King-
08-13-2018, 12:07 AM
We're going to need a completely line overhaul since we're going away from a west coast ball is out in 3 seconds or less to a more vertical offense with Pat holding the ball longer.

3/5 of our line is too small or too shitty for that offense long term and LDT is borderline small too. We can get by this year, but we need to get bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

New World Order
08-13-2018, 12:12 AM
We're going to need a completely line overhaul since we're going away from a west coast ball is out in 3 seconds or less to a more vertical offense with Pat holding the ball longer.

3/5 of our line is too small or too shitty for that offense long term and LDT is borderline small too. We can get by this year, but we need to get bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can't believe I'm saying this but we need to draft a fatty in the first next draft.

tk13
08-13-2018, 12:20 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Has it actually been stated that this is what they're going to do? I have no doubt we are going to see more vertical passing because of Mahomes' arm strength, but Andy Reid has run an offense for 20 years that's built on stretching the field horizontally and having guys who can operate in space. I don't imagine he's going to completely trash it.

-King-
08-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Has it actually been stated that this is what they're going to do? I have no doubt we are going to see more vertical passing because of Mahomes' arm strength, but Andy Reid has run an offense for 20 years that's built on stretching the field horizontally and having guys who can operate in space. I don't imagine he's going to completely trash it.

I'm pretty sure we're going to keep a lot of west coast elements because that's Andy Reid's bread and butter but Alex was top 3 in time between snap and pass. I don't think Pat will be anywhere near that and I don't have confidence in the while left side of the line if they're asked to protect for much longer than theyve had to the past few years.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
08-13-2018, 03:46 AM
I stopped reading at "The way center Mitch Morse sees it"

ROFL no shit man.

Morse is the equivalent of Cassel saying "I think I played ok out there" after throwing 3 INT's. I forget what he actually said post game, but it was something along those lines. He's the Baghdad Bob of the OL.

CoMoChief
08-13-2018, 03:49 AM
We're fucked. From Matt Lane's training camp report yesterday:

I still think Eric Fisher is garbage, going on year 6.

Wish the Chiefs replaced his ass a long time ago.

tyreekthefreak
08-13-2018, 05:37 AM
I think its the scheme we try to run that is the problem. Both tackles just try and push their man past the QB...forming a pocket for the QB to step into. But with the center and BOTH guards being pushed back there is no room to step up into a pocket.

Schwartz sucks.....the last play in the Titans game his man was PAST him before he even got out of his stance!!!! Morse is small and gets bullrushed easily. LG has been a problem for years.

Andy Heck sucks and our line sucks...….period!

Deberg_1990
08-13-2018, 05:48 AM
I’m sure this was just the ‘kick in the pants’ they needed!

Rausch
08-13-2018, 07:06 AM
I still think Eric Fisher is garbage, going on year 6.

Wish the Chiefs replaced his ass a long time ago.

The only reason our line as a whole isn't considered garbage is Smith's ability to scrable and move. We suck, horribly, at pass blocking.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 07:07 AM
I’m sure this was just the ‘kick in the pants’ they needed!

I get it from that perspective that there isn't much else he can say.

What would he say?

"Yeah, other than LDT and myself this line is fucking terrible. And honestly, I can't stay healthy so it almost doesn't matter..."

CrowbarMan
08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
Did you think the OL was transformed from 9 months ago?

It's the same old song..

Inconsistency on Chiefs' OL putting limitations on Alex Smith - NFL.com, Dec 1st 2017

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000885935/article/inconsistency-on-chiefs-ol-putting-limitations-on-alex-smith

TEX
08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
I get it from that perspective that there isn't much else he can say.

What would he say?

"Yeah, other than LDT and myself this line is ****ing terrible. And honestly, I can't stay healthy so it almost doesn't matter..."

Nailed it!
Now all the IDIOTS who defended the OL need to STFU. We all KNOW what we saw. Only fools saw it differently. This is year 6 under Reid/ He's had PLENTY of time to "fix" the OL. LG has been a virtual turnstile the whole time. LT isn't much better. Put the two together and there are HUGE issues on the left side. The other night, our supposedly "good" RT got whipped by a back-up DE a couple of times, at the same time the usual bad stuff was taking place on the left side, which is UNACCEPTABLE. They're NOT protecting Alex Smith anymore - they're protecting the Chiefs most valuable resource in the past 34 years. Maybe the Chiefs wanted to duplicate Texas Tech's OL, so Mahomes would feel more comfortable running for his life? Bottom line is the Chiefs have far too much time & $$$ invested in the OL for it to be this bad. And WTF is Andy FKN Heck still doing coaching it? :cuss:

O.city
08-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Supposedly good? All pro RT? That the one?

I get that they struggled last week, but some of you guys are expecting the early 2000 Chiefs OL.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Nailed it!
Now all the IDIOTS who defended the OL need to STFU. We all KNOW what we saw. Only fools saw it differently. This is year 6 under Reid/ He's had PLENTY of time to "fix" the OL. LG has been a virtual turnstile the whole time. LT isn't much better. Put the two together and there are HUGE issues on the left side. The other night, our supposedly "good" RT got whipped by a back-up DE a couple of times, at the same time the usual bad stuff was taking place on the left side, which is UNACCEPTABLE. They're NOT protecting Alex Smith anymore - they're protecting the Chiefs most valuable resource in the past 34 years. Maybe the Chiefs wanted to duplicate Texas Tech's OL, so Mahomes would feel more comfortable running for his life? Bottom line is the Chiefs have far too much time & $$$ invested in the OL for it to be this bad. And WTF is Andy FKN Heck still doing coaching it? :cuss:

Reid is a former O lineman and he likes athletic guys over huge mauler types.

It's his team, his choice, and he's got the pull to get what he wants.

I would point out though that while in Philly the fans griped about the same thing and he had O line issues there. He also missed on prospects there.

If you're going to roll with Andy that's one of his negatives and you choose to live with it...

TEX
08-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Reid is a former O lineman and he likes athletic guys over huge mauler types.

It's his team, his choice, and he's got the pull to get what he wants.

I would point out though that while in Philly the fans griped about the same thing and he had O line issues there. He also missed on prospects there.

If you're going to roll with Andy that's one of his negatives and you choose to live with it...

Oh - I get it. BUT his "athletic" guys ought to be able to block...They can't. It's a problem. And the guy coaching them is a buffoon.

Stryker
08-13-2018, 08:18 AM
If Mahomes is still upright and not on IR after Chargers, Steelers, Broncos and Jags then I will believe it. This oline has got to be changed via free agency or the draft next year. He is going to get killed.

FringeNC
08-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Not sold on Andy Heck.

pugsnotdrugs19
08-13-2018, 08:35 AM
If Mahomes is still upright and not on IR after Chargers, Steelers, Broncos and Jags then I will believe it. This oline has got to be changed via free agency or the draft next year. He is going to get killed.

It will be interesting to see where Veach prioritizes money going forward offensively..

Right now one could argue that KC has the best overall set of weapons in the NFL, and that’s great. But if the OL struggles consistently, it won’t matter a whole lot..

Truthfully, if you give Mahomes the Cowboys awesome OL and their poor set of skill players, I think he’d do just fine and make those WRs look good.. but it’d still be a struggle to find open receivers early at times.

But hopefully we can find a balance somewhere in the middle. Which is what I thought we would have this year with an OL that should at least be average.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Supposedly good? All pro RT? That the one?

I get that they struggled last week, but some of you guys are expecting the early 2000 Chiefs OL.

As a whole this line is rated in the bottom 10.

Don't trust me - look at the numbers.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Oh - I get it. BUT his "athletic" guys ought to be able to block...They can't. It's a problem. And the guy coaching them is a buffoon.

Because it's necessary to "drop the anchor" to pass block.

This is a hard thing to spell out but it's basically having lead in your ass while still having agility (not speed, but solid movement while keeping proper balance) and upper body strength.

It's essentially having a fat ass, good legs, and still athletic enough to be strong up top.

SuperBowl4
08-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Andy was the guy across from DT in the seven-sack game. I've always kind of wondered about the wisdom of having an offensive line coach who holds the record for most sacks yielded in a game when he was playing.It should have been 8 sacks and GAME OVER! :banghead:

O.city
08-13-2018, 09:03 AM
As a whole this line is rated in the bottom 10.

Don't trust me - look at the numbers.

Which numbers? Which ratings?

Cause if I look at the numbers from last year, it seems they're right in the 15/16 range. Which allowed them to have one of the better offenses in the NFL last year.

TEX
08-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Cause if I look at the numbers from last year, it seems they're right in the 15/16 range. Which allowed them to have one of the better offenses in the NFL last year.

That's ladt year with Fulton stepping in. And last season was a couple slots down from 2016. With Cam Erving at LG this season, they'll be worse.

TEX
08-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Because it's necessary to "drop the anchor" to pass block.

This is a hard thing to spell out but it's basically having lead in your ass while still having agility (not speed, but solid movement while keeping proper balance) and upper body strength.

It's essentially having a fat ass, good legs, and still athletic enough to be strong up top.

Seems too hard to make it all come together for everyone. Just wish they did SOMETHING really well so KC could count on it when needed.

Also - Fisher and Erving has ZERO Upper body strength but PLENTY of lead in their asses...

Rausch
08-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Look at the individual rankings - not sacks allowed.

If you just look at sacks allowed we don't seem too damned bad.

When you look at the breakdown of a player and if he lost ground/held a block/got pushed back it doesn't score so well.

Alex will forever be elevated as my second favorite KC QB not because of what he did but because of what he didn't do while holding together a sinking ship his first 3 years.

IMHO he's Cap fighting Thanos and holding the glove up for a few seconds because that's who he is. It's what he does.

The best way I can put this is when people look at draft picks they want to know the floor and the ceiling. When we got smith he had an 85 floor and a 92 ceiling. He would never, EVER, lead the league in anything but he would always play good enough to make the playoffs.

He took a team with the no 1 pick to the playoffs the following year. Don't forget that.

How many times has that happened?

Mahomes has a 99 ceiling and a 65 floor. If he doesn't progress and he doesn't learn he's a guy with a career 6-10 record with Mike Vick levels of rare talent.

When he's on he can make throws no one, NO ONE, else in the league can make. If he gets lazy, if money gets him, if he marries the wrong person, he'll make 2 of those throws a game and we'll lose.

People don't know how smart Mahomes is. He's a quiet guy. He's humble.

There's a difference between faith and facts. I have faith in Mahomes.

The facts will or won't come...

Fish
08-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Alex will forever be elevated as my second favorite KC QB not because of what he did but because of what he didn't do while holding together a sinking ship his first 3 years.

Alex Smith sucks.

Bwana
08-13-2018, 09:28 AM
A Pledge?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vRgXsgEhVf5I44E/giphy.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi965n3qurcAhUq1oMKHdDWA_EQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2Fsnl-saturday-night-live-1980s-l3vRgXsgEhVf5I44E&psig=AOvVaw2SLfsz9R9cK3rF4q1WoslI&ust=1534260198355398)

Rausch
08-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Alex Smith sucks.

Yes, but he sucks LESS than most starting QB's that suck.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 09:34 AM
A Pledge?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vRgXsgEhVf5I44E/giphy.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi965n3qurcAhUq1oMKHdDWA_EQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2Fsnl-saturday-night-live-1980s-l3vRgXsgEhVf5I44E&psig=AOvVaw2SLfsz9R9cK3rF4q1WoslI&ust=1534260198355398)

By the way there are no current allegations against him for being a pedophile.

That gif is approved for public consumption.

All comments in this post are tentatively approved only on current information and all statements therein are allowed to be deleted or changed up on request or protest based on future allegations, political winds, or whatever helps me to personally stay in good standing.

lcarus
08-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear they have addressed it and are hellbent on improving protection. No "preseason" excuses or any BS. They sucked, they know it, they gotta do better.

TEX
08-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear they have addressed it and are hellbent on improving protection. No "preseason" excuses or any BS. They sucked, they know it, they gotta do better.

Yes. Very good sign.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Not sold on Andy Heck.

To be clear I am not a believer in our current O line coach.

Not at all.

And by that I'm saying he should be fired immediately and replaced.

KChiefs1
08-13-2018, 10:35 AM
OL will be the downfall of this team.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 10:39 AM

IMO it's one of the bottom 5 in the NFL.

It's fucking terrible.

And we have a rookie starter at the helm.

We didn't even burden a retread like Smith with this shit...

TEX
08-13-2018, 10:51 AM

I completely agree. It's terrible. It's going to really hurt Mahomes.

We knew the _efense would have issues, especially the Secondary. I thought that the plan was that the Chiefs would build a great offense to overcome the defense. All the skill position players in the world won't help if the line is terrible. Mahomes can't air it out or learn anything lying on his back.

Stryker
08-13-2018, 10:58 AM
It will be interesting to see where Veach prioritizes money going forward offensively..

Right now one could argue that KC has the best overall set of weapons in the NFL, and that’s great. But if the OL struggles consistently, it won’t matter a whole lot..

Truthfully, if you give Mahomes the Cowboys awesome OL and their poor set of skill players, I think he’d do just fine and make those WRs look good.. but it’d still be a struggle to find open receivers early at times.

But hopefully we can find a balance somewhere in the middle. Which is what I thought we would have this year with an OL that should at least be average.

I totally agree.

crayzkirk
08-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Isn't it about time for the "I've got to do a better job" video?

Buckweath
08-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Those guys are all pretty much in their prime and have been playing together for a few years.

I would be quite surprised if they are anything worse than slightly below-average but I guess anything is possible.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they would be much worse than last year. And they were plenty good enough last year despite not being anything special.

TEX
08-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Those guys are all pretty much in their prime and have been playing together for a few years.

I would be quite surprised if they are anything worse than slightly below-average but I guess anything is possible.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they would be much worse than last year. And they were plenty good enough last year despite not being anything special.

Fulton helped a lot last year. He's gone now.... With the $$$ invested and having played together for a couple of seasons now (except for LG as usual) and with the task of keeping our first Franchise QB in 34 years upright, the goal should be higher than simply being "good enough."

RunKC
08-13-2018, 12:23 PM
It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they were lethargic bc it was a damn preseason game. I still think this OL will be solid except Erving (barring injury).

ptlyon
08-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Isn't it about time for the "I've got to do a better job" video?

We get those for 16 weeks starting in September

Chargem
08-13-2018, 01:57 PM
PFF ranks the Chiefs line as 18th best in the league, pretty much saying it's league average. They gave Morse pretty terrible grades last season, but I guess he didn't play that much.

I more find it annoying that it was Duke Ejiofor who was a 6th round pick getting all that pressure, and will probably end up being more productive than our 2nd round pick

Chief Pagan
08-13-2018, 04:00 PM

The QB can help the line out with pre-snap reads, audibles, quick throws, and scrambling. Mahomes can obviously scramble and throw on the run, but he probably isn't going to be an expert yet at reading D's. With this line, it is going to be hard to take advantage of the deep threat and I think he is going to take an awful lot of big hits. Even before the first preseason game, I thought Mahomes would have benefited more from spending the money on the OL instead of Watkins.

And no, I don't follow free agency enough to suggest who they should have brought in.

Easy 6
08-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Dont wanna hear their lip service, just grow some balls and tighten that shit up

TEX
08-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Dont wanna hear their lip service, just grow some balls and tighten that shit up

Exactly. Every year its the same shit. This year something very important depends on it. Just STFU and fix it already.

Easy 6
08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Exactly. Every year its the same shit. This year something very important depends on it. Just STFU and fix it already.

Cant wait until next offseason, we need to see major changes take place... to include the position coach

For now, we can only hope to achieve some modicum of cohesiveness that gets us to league average and doesnt get the golden goose killed... I'm sooo done with 5 twinkletoes 'athletic guys that move well in space'

GOTTA balance that shit out with some big hairy animals that go 320-330 or so

Eleazar
08-15-2018, 06:09 AM

Insert Andy Reid platitudes about "we'll get it fixed", followed by nothing changing

CrowbarMan
08-15-2018, 07:32 AM
The QB can help the line out with pre-snap reads, audibles, quick throws, and scrambling. Mahomes can obviously scramble and throw on the run, but he probably isn't going to be an expert yet at reading D's. With this line, it is going to be hard to take advantage of the deep threat and I think he is going to take an awful lot of big hits. Even before the first preseason game, I thought Mahomes would have benefited more from spending the money on the OL instead of Watkins.

And no, I don't follow free agency enough to suggest who they should have brought in.

Last year the mantra was 'A good QB makes their line better.'. Still holds true this year, to some extent. Alex hit all of his big throws when he had time to throw, and he had time when the run game was working. There's no evidence we can run the ball at will, again, with this group. More one yard bubble screen td passes in our future.