PDA

View Full Version : Football Maryland Football HC placed on leave

BWillie
08-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Maryland head coach DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24351245/maryland-football-coach-dj-durkin-put-leave-amid-reports-toxic-culture

This part of the article was quite strange. Because, I don't know one coach that DOESNT do this. At least at the college and HS level.

"Durkin oversaw Maryland's practice Saturday morning. ESPN on Friday reported allegations from current and former players, and current and former staff members, of bullying, verbal abuse and humiliation directed at players. Coaches have reportedly endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock players' masculinity."

TLO
08-14-2018, 01:35 PM
They're dropping like flies / Simply Red

DJJasonp
08-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Headline should read:

"Maryland Football going down same path as University of Kansas"

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 01:37 PM
The motherfucker and his strength coach should be banned from the $port.

ptlyon
08-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Because, Maryland

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Maryland head coach DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24351245/maryland-football-coach-dj-durkin-put-leave-amid-reports-toxic-culture

This part of the article was quite strange. Because, I don't know one coach that DOESNT do this. At least at the college and HS level.

"Durkin oversaw Maryland's practice Saturday morning. ESPN on Friday reported allegations from current and former players, and current and former staff members, of bullying, verbal abuse and humiliation directed at players. Coaches have reportedly endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock players' masculinity."

Did you read the part where they talked about putting more weight than they knew the players could lift just to mock them when they failed, or throwing weights at players? I get trying to cut out slackassing, but they were legitimately endangering their players for no reason.

ptlyon
08-14-2018, 01:48 PM
And if one of your players dies from over exhaustion, yeah, you'll probably lose your job

BWillie
08-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Did you read the part where they talked about putting more weight than they knew the players could lift just to mock them when they failed, or throwing weights at players? I get trying to cut out slackassing, but they were legitimately endangering their players for no reason.

I think they said threw weights "towards" players. Did the weights hit the players, too?

BWillie
08-14-2018, 01:55 PM
And if one of your players dies from over exhaustion, yeah, you'll probably lose your job

Yes - but is this more results oriented than anything? Every school holds rigorous tryouts, practices in August when there is high heat. Is this more on the Coach or the University? Should the University be more cognizant of practice temperatures? There is a risk of heat exhaustion at EVERY football practice in high heat.

T-post Tom
08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
I remember back in my dodgeball training days. The coach threw wrenches at us and made us dodge traffic at busy intersections. If it wasn't for that rigorous training, we never would have won the national championship. Just saying.

Jerm
08-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Big Ten having a great offseason...holy shit...

GloryDayz
08-14-2018, 02:10 PM
My coach was like:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OYIKdQcqbjI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lawrenceRaider
08-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Headline should read:

"Maryland Football going down same path as University of Kansas"

That's exactly what went through my mind.

HayWire
08-14-2018, 03:39 PM
I remember back in my dodgeball training days. The coach through wrenches at us and made us dodge traffic at busy intersections. If it wasn't for that rigorous training, we never would have won the national championship. Just saying.

You had it soft. My coach threw the book at us.

Bugeater
08-14-2018, 04:07 PM
I remember back in my dodgeball training days. The coach through wrenches at us and made us dodge traffic at busy intersections. If it wasn't for that rigorous training, we never would have won the national championship. Just saying.
And no one can ever take that moment away from you. I hope you've called him and thanked him for it.

Skyy God
08-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Sticking up for some mediocre, overpaid, sadistic asshole eh?

Good luck with that.

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Somewhere Bob Knight curses.

BWillie
08-14-2018, 05:50 PM
My high school basketball coach called me "Damn it". It was my nickname. Damn it. People in school started calling me "damn it", even. Would tell us to "put a dress on" if we didn't play physical. And ran us so hard at times I puked in a trash can.

In college, I had some buddies on the football team. The assistant coaches would stop by in the cafeteria see what they were eating. For the ones who needed to gain weight, they would put some cookies and brownies on their plates. Tell them to eat up lol

All examples of bullying, verbal abuse, humiliation, promoting unhealthy eating habits, and mocking my masculinity.

I am scarred for life to this day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 06:02 PM
My high school basketball coach called me "Damn it". It was my nickname. Damn it. People in school started calling me "damn it", even. Would tell us to "put a dress on" if we didn't play physical. And ran us so hard at times I puked in a trash can.

In college, I had some buddies on the football team. The assistant coaches would stop by in the cafeteria see what they were eating. For the ones who needed to gain weight, they would put some cookies and brownies on their plates. Tell them to eat up lol

All examples of bullying, verbal abuse, humiliation, promoting unhealthy eating habits, and mocking my masculinity.

I am scarred for life to this day.

Putting brownies on your plate. Totally the same thing as this: "They always had me come back for extra meals. Once, I was sitting down eating with a coach, and he basically made me sit there until I threw up. He said to eat until I threw up."

"A former staff member recalled a time when one player was in a team meeting with food on a plate because he was rushing from a meal to get to the meeting, and Court smacked the plate of food out of the player's hands, yelling at him."

Saying, "Damn it," totally the same as,

"That was an everyday thing. I've seen him get physical with guys sometimes, throw objects at guys sometimes, small weights, anything he had in his hand at the time. I don't think he was trying to intentionally hit them, but I know for a fact he purposely threw them in their direction."

"Another former player alleged the staff made an injured player do a tug-of-war competition against the whole defensive back unit.

'They made him do it with one hand," he said. 'Coach Court called him a p---- after he didn't win. One [player] was doing a tug-of-war ... and he passed out. ... I saw his body slowly giving away, and the strength coach was like, "Keep pulling, keep pulling!" ... He collapsed on the ground. He looked at him like, "You quit on the team." It was really barbaric.'"

These people are fucking scum. They're not hardass coaches, they're cowards hiding behind the authority of their positions, threatening kids. Fuck them and anyone that defends this horseshit.

BryanBusby
08-14-2018, 06:25 PM
No shit, good god.

Must be something in the B1G water.

notorious
08-14-2018, 06:54 PM
The coaches have some serious inner demons.

It takes a sadistic upbringing to grow to the point of treating other people like that.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2018, 07:19 PM
#Metoo

Part 2?

BWillie
08-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Putting brownies on your plate. Totally the same thing as this: "They always had me come back for extra meals. Once, I was sitting down eating with a coach, and he basically made me sit there until I threw up. He said to eat until I threw up."

"A former staff member recalled a time when one player was in a team meeting with food on a plate because he was rushing from a meal to get to the meeting, and Court smacked the plate of food out of the player's hands, yelling at him."

Saying, "Damn it," totally the same as,

"That was an everyday thing. I've seen him get physical with guys sometimes, throw objects at guys sometimes, small weights, anything he had in his hand at the time. I don't think he was trying to intentionally hit them, but I know for a fact he purposely threw them in their direction."

"Another former player alleged the staff made an injured player do a tug-of-war competition against the whole defensive back unit.

'They made him do it with one hand," he said. 'Coach Court called him a p---- after he didn't win. One [player] was doing a tug-of-war ... and he passed out. ... I saw his body slowly giving away, and the strength coach was like, "Keep pulling, keep pulling!" ... He collapsed on the ground. He looked at him like, "You quit on the team." It was really barbaric.'"

These people are ****ing scum. They're not hardass coaches, they're cowards hiding behind the authority of their positions, threatening kids. **** them and anyone that defends this horseshit.

So you don't think I was emasculated and humiliated? That is good to hear. It still haunts me to this day.

Skyy God
08-14-2018, 07:57 PM
So you don't think I was emasculated and humiliated? That is good to hear. It still haunts me to this day.

So much so that you stick up for similar tormentors.

#StockholmSyndrome

vailpass
08-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Maryland isn’t really B1G. I mean yeah technically they are but...nah.

BWillie
08-14-2018, 08:32 PM

#StockholmSyndrome

I'm a victim.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2018, 08:49 PM

#StockholmSyndrome

Leave Damn It alone.

There is a line you cross with hazing. It's never the same line and it's easily missed.

MarkDavis'Haircut
08-14-2018, 09:01 PM
That's exactly what went through my mind.

Maryland hasn't been elite since the early 1950s. That won't ever change.

Skyy God
08-14-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm a victim.

Then stop defending the actions of sadists as commonplace.

BWillie
08-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Then stop defending the actions of sadists as commonplace.

I'm too distraught to even think about it

vailpass
08-14-2018, 10:15 PM
I'm too distraught to even think about it

LMAO

SuperBowl4
08-15-2018, 01:27 AM
TESTUDO

Mecca
08-15-2018, 06:31 AM
When you wait an hour to call 911 when a dude is showing symptoms of what he was showing you deserve to lose your job, matter of fact you may deserve jail time.

That is not "football culture" it's being a fucking moron that doesn't understand guys can die from this shit.

Buehler445
08-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Yeah. There is a difference between being tough and pushing guys past their mental barriers and a dude passing out and not giving a fuck.

T-post Tom
08-15-2018, 08:34 AM
And no one can ever take that moment away from you. I hope you've called him and thanked him for it.

Sadly, he passed before the championship game. But his spirit guided us through the entire competition ... and that continues to this day.

GloryDayz
08-15-2018, 12:08 PM
When you wait an hour to call 911 when a dude is showing symptoms of what he was showing you deserve to lose your job, matter of fact you may deserve jail time.

That is not "football culture" it's being a fucking moron that doesn't understand guys can die from this shit.

:thumb: