PDA

View Full Version : Football Does the NFL hate the game of football?

wazu
08-18-2018, 04:47 PM
I've had concerns for awhile, but kept telling myself this will all blow over and in the end the NFL will restore sanity to avoid destroying it's own product. I know this is just one play, but it eroded what was left in my belief. The NFL seems to be set on sabotaging it's own game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">15-yard penalty for playing football. <a href="https://t.co/BOtbXmExtp">pic.twitter.com/BOtbXmExtp</a></p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1030932334504230913?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowser
08-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Absolutely ridiculous

GloucesterChief
One word: Liability.

hometeam
what it in the fuck???

Red Dawg
08-18-2018, 04:53 PM
That's crazy stupid. Completely clean safe as possible hit.

eDave
08-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Had a better case for a celebration penalty.

Sassy Squatch
08-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I don't know what he could've done differently there. That is some bullshit.

ThaVirus
08-18-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm generally all for making the game safer but I can't defend this.

Bump
08-18-2018, 05:01 PM
you can't even sack the QB anymore?

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2018, 05:02 PM
I'm generally all for making the game safer but I can't defend this.

I agree. Some of all of this is lawsuits. This play however, is outrageous. He literally avoids the head and almost gently pulls him down. Still gets punished.

kysirsoze
08-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Obligatory "preseason for refs, too" but I am also worried this is the new normal.

wazu
08-18-2018, 05:12 PM
This is a textbook “safe” sack. Other than coming to a complete stop and politely asking the QB to “yield” and take a knee there is nothing he could have done. Has that ref never seen a football game? Doubtful. He’s acting on an immense amount of pressure to officiate a certain way.

KCUnited
08-18-2018, 05:20 PM
We got a penalty for twerking...in Atlanta...let that sink in.

ChiliConCarnage
08-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Let's hope we can chalk it up to preseason and we don't see that in the regular.

Bob Dole
08-18-2018, 05:24 PM
We got a penalty for twerking...in Atlanta...let that sink in.

And I’m pretty sure he was not in the field of play.

HemiEd
08-18-2018, 05:27 PM
you can't even sack the QB anymore?

FORWARD PROGRESS!!!!!

Frazod
08-18-2018, 05:27 PM
They just need to add some more pink uniform highlights. That will make it all better. :shake:

TinyEvel
08-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Clearly forward progress was stopped, too. :rolleyes:

wazu
08-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Let's hope we can chalk it up to preseason and we don't see that in the regular.

Just not sure how that ref, seeing that play, making that call, is suddenly somehow smarter in the regular season.

ROYC75
08-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Just idiotic!

kjwood75nro
08-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Lesson here is, if you get a clean shot at the QB, kill him.

Helmet to helmet, step on the throat while getting up, collect your flag. If you're gonna get flagged anyway, make it count.

Discuss Thrower
08-18-2018, 05:52 PM
The Son of Hochuli blew this one, didn't he?

Easy 6
08-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Oh wow, that is truly pathetic

The NFL is scared of being sued into oblivion, at some point the players need to accept that those millions of dollars can come with physical consequences... and make their decision to play, or not play, from there

JakeF
08-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Does the NFL hate the game of football?
Yes, they hate the business that has made them billions. :rolleyes:

That sack penalty is not based on a new rule. It's been around for a long time. I believe it started when Refrigerator Perry and other heavy Defensive linemen started hurting QB's by driving them into the ground with all that weight. That guy drove his shoulder into the QB right as he hit the ground. Was it a bit ticky-tack? Yes, but it wasn't crazy bad. Stupid homer announcers get everyone all riled up instead of trying to be a little bit impartial about it.

The same thing happens with Sports Talk Show Hosts when they need something to talk about. They break out the low-hanging fruit and start trashing the NFL. Inevitably it will get the idiot crowd to break out their pitchforks and call in.

Roger Goodell!!
NFL Refs!!
NFL owners!!
I don't understand all these new-fangled rules with a bunch of fancy words!!
Look, Brown People are taking a knee instead of doing what their betters told them to do!!

Get the pitchforks and burn this shit to the ground. Boycott,boycott Grrrr!!

The owners are getting sued by players who complain about safety rules one moment but then sue them the next moment when they get hurt. They are losing their player base because parents are getting scared to let their kids play such a violent sport.

The owners are trying to save the NFL so that they can continue to make money.

Bob Dole
08-18-2018, 05:59 PM

That sack penalty is not based on a new rule. It's been around for a long time. I believe it started when Refrigerator Perry and other heavy Defensive linemen started hurting QB's by driving them into the ground with all that weight. That guy drove his shoulder into the QB right as he hit the ground. Was it a bit ticky-tack? Yes, but it wasn't crazy bad. Stupid homer announcers get everyone all riled up instead of trying to be a little bit impartial about it.

The same thing happens with Sports Talk Show Hosts when they need something to talk about. They break out the low-hanging fruit and start trashing the NFL. Inevitably it will get the idiot crowd to break out their pitchforks and call in.

Roger Goodell!!
NFL Refs!!
NFL owners!!
Look, Brown People are taking a knee instead of doing what their betters told them to do!!

The owners are getting sued by players who complain about safety rules one moment but then sue them the next moment when they get hurt. They are losing their player base because parents are getting scared to let their kids play such a violent sport.

That was not even close to being driven in to the ground.

Bwana
08-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Unreal, just strap the flags on them already, we're almost there now.

Raiderhater
08-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Oh wow, that is truly pathetic

The NFL is scared of being sued into oblivion, at some point the players need to accept that those millions of dollars can come with physical consequences... and make their decision to play, or not play, from there

Do players not have to sign a waiver acknowledging that they are assuming the risks involved with such a physical sport? I’m seriously asking because I don’t know. But one would think that would be in place.

DaFace
08-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that's awful.

But even beyond this kind of crap, it's been clear for a long time now that the NFL cares about money a whole lot more than they care about the game of football.

Mecca
08-18-2018, 06:13 PM
It just goes right line with how they have a shit ton of subjective rules that can be called 100 different ways depending on the reffing crew.

They have all these rules worded in ways that no matter what the call is they can defend it like it's right, it's stupid and ridiculous and it makes people think they are fixing games.

hometeam
08-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Roger Goodell!!
NFL Refs!!
NFL owners!!

that was 100% as clean of a hit as you can do.. you are high

Easy 6
08-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Do players not have to sign a waiver acknowledging that they are assuming the risks involved with such a physical sport? I’m seriously asking because I don’t know. But one would think that would be in place.

Couldnt tell you, all I know is that while its easy to hate Goodell and the owners for a million different reasons... it just might be former players lawsuits that are ultimately causing this

I'd rather shrink the talent pool by putting a hard and fast 'you are assuming certain risks' clause in every NFL contract... than change the actual game into something unrecognizable

Mecca
08-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Couldnt tell you, all I know is that while its easy to hate Goodell and the owners for a million different reasons... it just might be former players lawsuits that are ultimately causing this

I'd rather shrink the talent pool by putting a hard and fast 'you are assuming certain risks' clause in every NFL contract... than change the actual game into something unrecognizable

The problem is the legal system has basically made it where even if you sign those waivers, those people can still sue and win so they never really hold up.

Raiderhater
08-18-2018, 06:37 PM

I totally agree.

Raiderhater
08-18-2018, 06:38 PM
The problem is the legal system has basically made it where even if you sign those waivers, those people can still sue and win so they never really hold up.

This is sadly believable.

jimidollar
08-18-2018, 06:46 PM
This kind of shit along with taunting penalties have too much impact on the game.

Dartgod
08-18-2018, 07:09 PM
This is sadly believable.

Well, look who decided to grace us with his presence.

Raiderhater
08-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Well, look who decided to grace us with his presence.

:D There have been numerous reasons for my limited activity on this board, the subject of this thread being one of them. It has just been hard for me to get excited about the NFL in general. And the last playoff loss to Indy took what little was left of my fervor for the Chiefs to lowest it could go with out completely walking away. I keep thinking Mahomes will change this, but when I look at this thread my overall excitement is still diminished. I still look in on this place on a regular basis, I just rarely participate.

Hope all is well with you.

Buck
08-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Start at 7:20

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0XPIct5NdGU?start=440" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MarkDavis'Haircut
08-18-2018, 08:17 PM
What stinks about these rules changes is that they were only instituted because star quarterbacks got hurt. Brady in 08 and Rodgers last year.

If some hack like Cassel went down, no changes.

Bowser
08-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Start at 7:20

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0XPIct5NdGU?start=440" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What the hell? Just....stop, refs.

KChiefs1
08-18-2018, 08:20 PM
If it wasn’t for Mahomes I don’t think I’d watch it. It’s a mess right now.

Please bring back football in the 70’s.

Best22
08-18-2018, 08:30 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that because the NFL provides an environment in which these concussions are possible, they are made liable

It's a stupid rule but what else would you expect in America, Land of the Lawsuits and Home of the Brave

I honestly don't know what the point of waivers are.

Raiderhater
08-18-2018, 08:56 PM
What stinks about these rules changes is that they were only instituted because star quarterbacks got hurt. Brady in 08 and Rodgers last year.

If some hack like Cassel went down, no changes.

Trent Green in ‘06.

I curse Robert Geathers to this day.

Rasputin
08-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Rugby seems like a nice sport they don't wear helmets or pads.

arrwheader
08-18-2018, 09:10 PM
what it in the ****???

This will be the next “catch” rule. Just another way for the refs to determine outcome of a game it certainly will help to destroy the game.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Roger Goodell!!
NFL Refs!!
NFL owners!!

Are you using the correct link?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Chiefs finally get a franchise QB and the game is unwatchable...The same teams that benefit from the other subjective calls will be the ones benefiting when the real games start. Fuck this.

BigRichard
08-19-2018, 06:59 AM
I always thought if they just limited the size of players they would eliminate a lot of the injuries. If you don't allow 350 lb guys to smash 230 lb QBs you wouldn't have nearly as many injuries. Then they wouldn't have had to change the rules so much.

During the 70s and 80s the average lineman was around 260 or something like that and now it is well north of 300? That extra weight has a lot to do with the extra injuries I would think.

oldman
08-19-2018, 08:53 AM
That's a 100% clean hit. Start taking those away and you might as well start playing flag football. Of course it would be OK for "some QBs" to sew their flag on their pants with steel cable. Not mentioning any names ----.

DJJasonp
08-19-2018, 08:54 AM
The more ambiguous rules the NFL can implement - the more they can guide an outcome/betting line the way they want.

MarkDavis'Haircut
08-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Trent Green in ‘06.

I curse Robert Geathers to this day.

I don't remember the Trent Green hit. Was there a new rule made up after his hit? If not, it just reinforces how biased the NFL is.