PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 8-19 53 man roster guess and notes...

booger
08-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Just a guess on the general direction they go. There are holes that are obvious but I really do like the potential of a revamped practice squad and some new blood there. A more aggressive approach to undrafted free agency should pay off more than it has in the past. Plus the Rolodex group or Spiller reserve, whatever the hell you would like to call it. I believe it has value in the time they do invest in certain veterans through the offseason and training camps at a low or even no signing bonus plus veteran minimum contract. It can be a handy extension of the roster if the player or players aren't picked up by other teams.

QB-2

Mahomes, Henne

I don't usually favor keeping 2 but I think this helps keep an extra OL and they are in perfect postion to do so. McGloin is an example of a player who if cut having a very good chance of being available if needed. He just isn't worth the 3rd spot IMO. Litton has looked good in limited snaps. Quite possibly worth developing. Normally this time of year he's a guy I would throw out the phrase "can't risk him getting claimed on the waiver wire" or some shit similar but every year there are favorites like that who do in fact clear waivers. Sometimes they do get claimed. It would be a risk worth taking to try to get him to the practice squad. If not they have got to add someone to the taxi squad obviously.

RB-5

Hunt, Sherman, Ware, Damien Williams, Darrel Williams.

West I think it's obvious whether its now or when the season is done, he time is coming to an end here just a matter of when. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even dress for the remainder of the pre season to risk another concussion. Plus being able to save 1.7 M on cap room (they just spent 1.5 on Scandrick) the writing is on the wall. The 4 halfbacks are very similar size and all catch the ball well. Pass pro Hunt would be probably the worst among the group which is something he's working to improve and where West really excelled but I think overall that's a really solid group. One could argue not having that change of pace or speed back but I don't think Kerwyn Williams really provided much different skills just a smaller back who it wouldn't surprise either way if he would be available if the need arises. Ware and his health could change things. I'm just trying to give and educated guess but I think they are ready to roll with him and see no need for contact now to dress him for pre season. Damien Williams and his shoulder I could see a designated for return IR if it's serious but right no I'd guess they carry him on the 53.

TE-3

Kelce, Harris(suspended week 1, won't count against 53)Amaro, Ellis

This is another tricky spot with Harris and his week one status. They could go light here with just 2 and say carry Litton as the 3rd QB week one and cut him to make room for Harris coming back so in such a case they would only expose him to the waiver wire after week 1. Ellis makes sense staying on for a week as the 3rd TE and after that I would like to see him brought back on the practice squad once Harris returns. Reminds me a bit of O'Shaunessy who they have missed since trading him. Wright is yet another example of a guy with decent chance of being available and knowing the offense if needed.

WR-6

Hill, Watkins, Conley, Robinson, Chesson, Dieter

Dat I don't know their plans for him but the next 2 games this pre season will be telling. If they're giving him extra time to heal I could see that. Or possibly he's a IR designated to return candidate. (misses first 10 weeks) Otherwise if he's healthy I see him as not fitting as well with Mahomes as he did Smith and going with the bigger WR's. Kemp is the other that would come down to the wire whether it's him or Dieter. I just see Chesson and Dieter both filling special teams/returners better than Kemp. I would like to see Kemp given more of a shot at some jump balls at least in the last 2 games. There are a handful of others where 2 will probably be kept on the PS.

OL-9

Fisher, Morse, LDT, Schwartz.....
set with those 4. It gets tricky with the rest.

Irving is going to have issues at G but he is most likely safe with his ability to play C. Actually T is his best position IMO. Wiley seems to have played his way on the roster IMO. It would have been a safe bet in Atlanta to go ahead and play it safe and start Witzmann at RG. But he gave Wiley the chance and he did very well. He's been playing both G and T and both sides. He's the first off the bench with the exception of center and if he keeps it up. Irving, Wiley, Ehinger, McKenzie, Hunter that's my final 5 of the 9 total and still not knowing who to start at LG. Probably Irving is what they will continue to do until he loses the job. Like Witzmann last year and losing it to Fulton finally only to regain it because of Morse injury. One of my biggest concerns would be losing either McKenzie or Hunter to waivers. Hunter would be like when they lost Lilja to waivers as an undrafted FA. He's playing all over the line and even C now that Tejan Koroma is on IR ( another good UDFA signing). Let Hunter continue to grow and they have next years first OL off the bench or possibly even their starting C with Morse being in the last year of his contract. McKenzie would be even worse. He's going to get beat with quickness and technique as he continues his move from DL but he's rarely going to be bull rushed. He's looked pretty good in limited snaps as has Hunter. I just say no way to trying to sneak either through waivers. Devey and/or Wietzmann one could argue deserves to make it over Ehinger and that's possible. Devey would be a guy if cut that again theres a chance he's available as the season goes on.

That's 25 on O. Special teams and Defense in next post

booger
08-19-2018, 11:34 AM
continued...

DL-6

Jones, Williams, Bailey, Jenkins, Nnadi, Hamilton

Pretty obvious with this group. Interesting note for the future with Nnadi being the NT of the future I could see an extension with Williams as his size looks like he would be a very good fit at DE after this season when Bailey is a FA. Hamilton can play any of the 3 spots and is still developing. Jenkins is a guy like Sherman who if they are going to use an IR designated to return on a guy like Ware or Sorenson that player has to be on the 53 on the initial cutdown. Last year that happened with Nelson and Spiller getting cut and later resigned. Because of contracts and the fact neither would be subjected to the waiver wire, this year it's going to be Jenkins or Sherman. A vet with a minimum signing bonus that would resign as soon as they placed the player,(Sorenson,Ware,etc on IR) Charles is going to be that guy who travels the workout circuit and has a strong chance of being available if needed. McGill gives more of potential as an inside rusher but doesn't fit the base as well. Dee Liner on the ps and this is a spot where an upgrade on either the 53 or PS wouldn't surprise.

LB-9

Houston, Ford, Kpass, Speaks (4 OLB) Hitchens, Ragland, Niemann, O'Daniel, Smith (5 ILB)

This year I don't see the point in keeping Zombo around even with the youth at OLB. That spot is just too Valuable and cutting him would save 1M+. I just don't see them guaranteeing his salary. Maybe he could be brought back after week 1 if needed but I am ready to move on. I would actually keep Tyrone Holmes instead. And I like the idea of continuing to work with McCray on the PS. I think they go 5 ILB because of special teams and also with D. O'Daniel being a tweener. Smith/Eligwe comes down to mental assignment and being gap sound. Eligwe would cost more to cut and has a higher ceiling I just think they go with Smith actually doing a better job but this could go either way. Neimann has played his way on the team. Not the athlete Eligwe is but he's definatley instictive and knows his job.

CB-6

Fuller, Nelson, Amerson, Scandrick, Smith, Springs

I like Wade for the PS and probably Durhamn as well. Amerson has struggled but they will keep him and that's why they brought Scandrick as insurance. Definatly could use upgrade here but good corners don't hit the streat in August/September. I wouldn't panick but if there's a DB out there that makes sense with the extra 2nd next year I wouldn't hesitate to flip a 2-3 for the right player but they would obviously have to make sense for more than just a year and be a young player. Again, those things rarely happen.

S-4

Berry, Murray, *Sorenson (IR/return doesn't count against 53 until activated)
McQuay, Watts.

Not sure their thoughts on Sorenson and his recovery time, he could probably be back sooner than the 10 weeks he would miss on IR. Have to wait and see. McQuay is getting better but still seems to get hurt too much for a S with head and neck injuries. Would like to see more of Jordan Sterns these last 2 games but do like him for the PS at least. Obvious position of need.

ST's-3

Colquitt, Buttkicker, Winchester

Practice Squad is going to have some good new players as well with hopefully Litton, Algernon Brown, Lowry, maybe Kemp, Josh Crockett is another big 6-4 WR target. Pringle, Mack, Smallwood. 2 WR's just a matter of which ones. A couple OL, Murray, Cooper, Spain. DL is Liner and otherwise look outside of this roster. OLB I mentioned McCray and Holmes. Both if they can but will need at least 1. ILB Davison if they keep any on the PS with 5 on the 53. He's normally a guy that would get mentioned more but Neimann is playing lights out. Wade, Durhanm, Stearns. Possibly McQuay. Overall a pretty solid taxi squad with guys that all went to camp with KC might not need only a couple outsiders.

RealSNR
08-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Sorry guys, but DAT is making the final roster. Don't deny something you already know to be true

booger
08-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Sorry guys, but DAT is making the final roster. Don't deny something you already know to be true

Him West Zombo and Devey I hope they move on from as they have good options to replace them but it’s a typical shit in one hand wish in another situation

oldman
08-19-2018, 01:17 PM
I agree with most of what you said, but here's where I differ.
QB- I'm old school, so I like 3 QBs. We know what we have in McGloin, so play Litton most of game 4. Henne is here on a 2 year contract, we'll have to look for a backup in 2020. Why not develop a backup that has some of the qualities of our starter?
RB- I see no reason to keep 4 RBs plus a FB. Sherman can fill in on pass protection and is good for a couple hard-nosed carries a game. There's no reason for him to be a ST guy either. That roster spot could be used elsewhere. West is done and I think Ware's role could be filled by the 2 D. Williams.
WR- Conley has been MIA the last 2 games. I'd rather see Kemp there, but otherwise I agree.
OL- I'm not wild about any of the 5 you mentioned besides Fisher, Morse LDT, and Schwartz. I think one of those comes down to who can be the backup C. You know Morse is going to have some issue again this year.

JoeyChuckles
08-19-2018, 01:32 PM
I haven't watched the preseason too closely, but I haven't heard DATs name called. So they'll sign him to a 4 year extension before the season.

oldman
08-19-2018, 01:43 PM
DAT's the gunner on ST. He just signed a 1 year contract this last March. I don't see anyone beating down the door for his services and we could probably eat the $880K if we have to. I see a couple of our younger guys that could do just fine in his role.

RealSNR
08-19-2018, 01:51 PM
I was initially against keeping McKenzie on the 53 this season as a redshirt guy similar to LDT's rookie year, but given Ehinger has been kind of a disappointment and nobody else is really shining, I'm thinking we may as well keep him on and cut somebody else. Or just keep 9 OL, I suppose.

It sucks that for all of the position versatility we coach out of these players, the only one we're really looking at for backup OC is Jordan Devey. I have no idea if they think Hunter is ready yet, but given his spot on the depth chart and the fact that he was only taking OC snaps as soon as a week ago seems to imply that they're not going to roll with him and instead keep the shitty vet.

booger
08-19-2018, 02:00 PM
I agree with most of what you said, but here's where I differ.
QB- I'm old school, so I like 3 QBs. We know what we have in McGloin, so play Litton most of game 4. Henne is here on a 2 year contract, we'll have to look for a backup in 2020. Why not develop a backup that has some of the qualities of our starter?
RB- I see no reason to keep 4 RBs plus a FB. Sherman can fill in on pass protection and is good for a couple hard-nosed carries a game. There's no reason for him to be a ST guy either. That roster spot could be used elsewhere. West is done and I think Ware's role could be filled by the 2 D. Williams.
WR- Conley has been MIA the last 2 games. I'd rather see Kemp there, but otherwise I agree.
OL- I'm not wild about any of the 5 you mentioned besides Fisher, Morse LDT, and Schwartz. I think one of those comes down to who can be the backup C. You know Morse is going to have some issue again this year.

That’s just it when it comes to Litton, the next 2 ps games will tell a lot. If he doesn’t see any more snaps then they don’t have to worry about exposing him to other teams and could probably sneak him on the ps. Otherwise if they have made their mind that he’s going to be #3 and on the 53 I hope he gets snaps in both games and maybe the final 3 quarters of the last game. OL yeah Morse staying healthy is sure something they can’t count on. I think that saves Irving his job as much as anything. Going with 9 instead of 8 has much to do with the youth movement and future of McKenzie and Hunter both making it instead of just one. Idea with both is hopefully each would be inactive each week and not have to dress yet be on the roster instead of the ps and potentially losing one. Ideally a high ankle sprain at the end of the ps to stash one on IR for a redshirt year would be perfect.

Yeah Conley is also on last year of his contract and that could factor in. Him and any offense depth like Wietzmann, Ehinger etc would be worth checking with Nagy and the Bears to see if they would flip KC a pick. Probably with Eligwe as well to any 4-3 teams where I think he’s a better fit. All those guys or even say Chesson if someone were to beat him out is they are cheap and still on rookie contracts with more than 1 year left on their deals with the exception of Conley which and Wietzmann which hurts when you lose a player like that without no compensation.

stumppy
08-19-2018, 02:01 PM

I want to dig my eyes out with a wooden spoon when I read something like this.:cuss:

booger
08-19-2018, 02:13 PM
I was initially against keeping McKenzie on the 53 this season as a redshirt guy similar to LDT's rookie year, but given Ehinger has been kind of a disappointment and nobody else is really shining, I'm thinking we may as well keep him on and cut somebody else. Or just keep 9 OL, I suppose.

It sucks that for all of the position versatility we coach out of these players, the only one we're really looking at for backup OC is Jordan Devey. I have no idea if they think Hunter is ready yet, but given his spot on the depth chart and the fact that he was only taking OC snaps as soon as a week ago seems to imply that they're not going to roll with him and instead keep the shitty vet.

I was that way with McKenzie as well but if they think he’s making the switch well enough then there is some asshole team prepared to claim him. It’s weird because it gets redundant with 2 rookie FA OL plus Wiley just a year on the PS. But they have handled it well and those are the claims you really kick yourself in the ass with if you do cut them. If it’s undrafted FA you actually paid a decent bonus for a change plus saw the player develop like you hope but where you fuck up is gambling with the end game if you waive the guy you take the chance you’re going to lose him. For a slob like Devey that sucks. It’s redundant on the online but maybe in such a case you at least go with Wietzmann instead of Ehinger because of game experience. Perception vs reality. I may be giving that Hunter, Wiley, McKenzie (potential) too much credit but they haven’t pissed down their legs yet

O.city
08-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Darrell Williams isn’t lasting on the practice squad. He’s good.

They’ve got a glut of good rbs.

booger
08-19-2018, 02:38 PM
It’s another plus for Veach but 55-90 on the roster is less scrubs than normal. It’s exactly why Golden requested his release. He lucked out on the weird safety market and took a vet minimum deal with no bonus. And when Sorensen gets hurt and Berry’s heal acts up and he still doesn’t get first team reps he knows he’s getting cut anyway. Doesn’t mean the other safety depth is something to brag about...Hardly. But take OLB for example. This year even with Speaks and McCray being new to playing standing up they came in and competed without the average person thinking gee I bet that guy never played standing up before. Last year Dorsey hits the road and the first transactions involved ILB. This year that group is stacked. In the past it was a problem. Perception was everything was ok but reality was that Dorsey being in tune with and having a complete understanding of what the Sutton/Ryan D compared to vs a Capers 3-4 or even a long background scouting 4-3 personnel...that was one of the worst kept secrets IMO was Dorsey had no fucking clue in certain situations when it came to front seven personnel fits for KC with Sutton as DC. Plus shame on Sutton for not clearly speaking his mind about disagreements if we’re being fair about things. Anyway it’s useless to look back and blame but I do recognize that Dorleant the CB who has played in games regular season as well as the DL Stefan Charles and TE Tim Wright. These guys are among the 80-90 last ten guys on the roster. Good blend of guys with experience trying to fight to stay on a roster as well as a good talented group of undrafted to rebuild the PS

booger
08-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Darrell Williams isn’t lasting on the practice squad. He’s good.

They’ve got a glut of good rbs.

Yep and he’s strong in the pass game as a blocker and catcher. That’s why he got a 30k bonus

RealSNR
08-19-2018, 02:49 PM
I was that way with McKenzie as well but if they think he’s making the switch well enough then there is some asshole team prepared to claim him. It’s weird because it gets redundant with 2 rookie FA OL plus Wiley just a year on the PS. But they have handled it well and those are the claims you really kick yourself in the ass with if you do cut them. If it’s undrafted FA you actually paid a decent bonus for a change plus saw the player develop like you hope but where you fuck up is gambling with the end game if you waive the guy you take the chance you’re going to lose him. For a slob like Devey that sucks. It’s redundant on the online but maybe in such a case you at least go with Wietzmann instead of Ehinger because of game experience. Perception vs reality. I may be giving that Hunter, Wiley, McKenzie (potential) too much credit but they haven’t pissed down their legs yet

That's exactly what happened in 2014. David Irving flashed in preseason but wasn't quite ready for real regular season snaps on defense. We ended up keeping worthless fucks like Nick Williams over him all because they'd be serviceable in the short run. And the real kick in the pants is that was the year Mike DeVito went down, so we probably could have had room on the roster for Irving anyway.

Not saying McKenzie is as talented as David Irving, but it will suck if we cut him only because we thought the practice squad would be a better place for him for the time being.

KChiefs1
08-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Not saying McKenzie is as talented as David Irving, but it will suck if we cut him only because we thought the practice squad would be a better place for him for the time being.

You know the Raiders would pick him up & he’d become a star.

booger
08-19-2018, 03:08 PM
That's exactly what happened in 2014. David Irving flashed in preseason but wasn't quite ready for real regular season snaps on defense. We ended up keeping worthless ****s like Nick Williams over him all because they'd be serviceable in the short run. And the real kick in the pants is that was the year Mike DeVito went down, so we probably could have had room on the roster for Irving anyway.

Exactly. When they see returns on these UFA’s right away they need to keep them around and roll with the punches while they develop or else some bastard who is in the top 5 of the waiver claim order is going to make them look stupid and take the credit for their hard work. It shouldn’t be that hard to understand but we shall see

kccrow
08-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Kind of see it the same way...

QB (3) - Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Chase Litton
RB (3) - Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Darrel Williams
FB (1) - Anthony Sherman
TE (3) - Travis Kelce, Demetrius Harris*, Jace Amaro
WR (6) - Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Chris Conley, Jehu Chesson, Gehrig Dieter
OL (9) - Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Cameron Erving, Bryan Witzmann, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Mitch Morse, Ryan Hunter, Andrew Wylie, Khalil McKenzie

DE (4) - Chris Jones, Allen Bailey, Justin Hamilton, Jarvis Jenkins
NT (2) - Xavier Williams, Derrick Nnadi
OLB (4) - Justin Houston, Dee Ford, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Breeland Speaks
ILB (5) - Anthony Hitchens, Reggie Ragland, Ben Niemann, Terrance Smith, Dorian O'Daniel
CB (6) - Kendall Fuller, Steven Nelson, David Amerson, Tremon Smith, Orlando Scandrick, Arrion Springs
DB (4) - Eric Berry, Eric Murray, Leon McQuay, Armani Watts, Daniel Sorensen**

ST (3) - Harrison Butker, Dustin Colquitt, James Winchester

* Alex Ellis probably is the 3rd TE week 1, then cut week 2 and put on PS
** Sorensen will either be PUP or IR-DTR. I'm sure someone will suck bad enough by then to get the axe (Amerson?)

Considerations for PS (10) - OLB Rob McCray, DE Dee Liner, OL Jimmy Murray, WR Byron Pringle, WR Marcus Kemp, TE Alex Ellis*, CB D'Montre Wade, DB Jordan Sterns, WR/HB Blake Mack, RB Ray Lawry

My wish would be they'd cut Erving, but I just don't see it. I'd rather they started Witzmann, kept Ehinger, and let that battle continue to play out.

Andy normally keeps 3 QBs. I don't see him changing that, but you never know. I think they'll pick up another young guy to put on the PS as well.

I'm not sure the Chiefs can afford to keep 4 RBs, but maybe they do. If they do, it's going to be how you have it I'd think. I'd lean more towards keeping 3 and stashing one or two on the PS.

What I've seen from the WRs, I'd give strong consideration to dumping Conley or Chesson and keeping Pringle, or stash Pringle and keep Braverman to fill that slot role.

booger
08-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Even with the starters sitting tomorrow it's still going to be an interesting game with plenty of meaning. I really hope a lineup on the OL of Wylie at LT, Witzmann at LG, Hunter at C, McKenzie at RG, and Ehinger at RT I hope that group starts and plays the majority of the game. I could see them starting Devey at C but I would like to see those 5 in those positions and get one more long look at them.

You look at this thing and most likely all 6 draft picks making it is pretty well set depending on McKenzie. But UDFA's and Litton, D. Williams, Hunter, Niemann, and Springs, that's 5 potentially making it. 11 rookies...might seem risky but I'm sure not opposed to it.

I like the idea of trying to add a guy like OLB Nate Orchard like KCcrow has said, if he's available. I like going with 4 OLB and 5 ILB so some adjustment would have to be made. And something like Orchard for Conley, a swap like that I would jump on with both being UFA's in '19. That extra depth would be nice at OLB. The first 4 as a rotation is a better situation than it's been but after that your next option is moving Jones outside to DE which he did sucessfully. At the very least looking at keeping Tyrone Holmes over Zombo would make more sense to me. He's still young and may not have reached his ceiling yet. Another guy I'd like to see get plenty of snaps tomorrow night.

DL Jenkins has been disapointing this pre season. He's never been one to shock you with his play but has been solid in a rotation and spot starter. I liked McGill bet never seriously thought of keeping him because of his size for the 3-4. Too light for nose or the 5tech. But he's only 25 and had 5 sacks over his first 2 years. He's probably earned his shot to see if he can hold up.

Jordan Sterns I'd like to see play the whole damn game. McQuay is too inconsistant and fragile. Murray is the best among a group of below average and I don't think they can count on Watts yet. Lots to like about him but he was limping again vs the Bears and it is like WTF here we go again. That happens with players but at S that's where it would be great to see a young guy step up. Sterns I just want to see if he's going to be worth keeping on the PS. Springs was being cross trained at S and I would love to see him play the whole damn game between CB and S. There's going to be a couple bodies added from other teams if the waiver wire doesn't get picked clean, teams actually cut/trade some of the names out there is another story. They might have to be patient the first couple weeks.

Like I said, with potentially 11 rookies and some other young developing players I don't care about the starters sitting it will still be plenty to watch those positions of concern.

kccrow
08-29-2018, 12:37 PM
I'd really like a good look at Sterns as well. I was just thinking that yesterday when I was looking at options out there. He had a really good camp last year and was a bubble guy. Not sure why he hasn't had more opportunities this year. I'm more concerned about safety than corner at this point because it looks like a dumpster fire.

There should be some guys available, but then you have at least a couple games before they are ready to go.

jjchieffan
08-29-2018, 03:08 PM
It would be good long term for 11 rookies to make the team, but I'm not sure where the roster spots would come from. McKenzie and Hunter are 2 OL spots. Assuming that we keep 8, which I think they usually do, who are the 8? Obviously, Fisher, Morse, LDT and Schwartz. Then there's Erving. Guaranteed salary, he stays. If we keep Hunter and McKenzie, like you say, that leaves one spot. Ehinger or Witzman? Devey can go. I believe that he was cut last year and then picked up later when needed because he was still available. So he could probably safely be cut and still be available if needed. I agree with Neiman Marcus it. DJ and KPL leaving left an opening for him. I like Litton or McGloin. Williams has a really good chance of getting a spot now that West is gone. Then there's Springs. He and Watts would be 2 of the safety spots. It's going to be interesting there to see. Will they IR Sorenson? If so, that definitely helps his case. I think that we generally keep 10 db's. Unfortunately, we don't have 5 worth keeping, so who knows what will happen there. I guess that 11 could happen. But boy, that's a lot of rookies for a team that just won the division back to back.

Simply Red
08-29-2018, 03:14 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sgom21GWCpA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

booger
08-29-2018, 03:42 PM
It would be good long term for 11 rookies to make the team, but I'm not sure where the roster spots would come from. McKenzie and Hunter are 2 OL spots. Assuming that we keep 8, which I think they usually do, who are the 8? Obviously, Fisher, Morse, LDT and Schwartz. Then there's Erving. Guaranteed salary, he stays. If we keep Hunter and McKenzie, like you say, that leaves one spot. Ehinger or Witzman? Devey can go. I believe that he was cut last year and then picked up later when needed because he was still available. So he could probably safely be cut and still be available if needed. I agree with Neiman Marcus it. DJ and KPL leaving left an opening for him. I like Litton or McGloin. Williams has a really good chance of getting a spot now that West is gone. Then there's Springs. He and Watts would be 2 of the safety spots. It's going to be interesting there to see. Will they IR Sorenson? If so, that definitely helps his case. I think that we generally keep 10 db's. Unfortunately, we don't have 5 worth keeping, so who knows what will happen there. I guess that 11 could happen. But boy, that's a lot of rookies for a team that just won the division back to back.

That’s why I say with OL you go with 9 instead of the normal 8. Start the season like that and see what happens. Injuries mess with the #’s game all the time. So it’s a luxury and you do it specifically not to expose a certain player to waivers. Down the line it might not be a luxury any longer once an injury comes no matter if it’s minor and someone can’t practice then all the sudden you have to go back to what you’re used to as far as # of players at specific positions. RB is a bit heavy if you go 5 like I guess. And I do it that way because I don’t want to cut Damien Williams and don’t want to expose Darrel to waivers. Or it like teams being mentioned to be loaded at certain positions. Team x has 6 good corners but only keeps 5 normally. If no one has a good enough trade offer say f u and keep all 6 as long as you can afford to. Plus the thing you lose out on with these UDFAs is the cheap length of contract control you have. The more the marrier especially when you have starters down the line that will get big $$$ the UDFA even it out some. On the other hand maybe I’m off about Hunter and his potential as being at least a Fulton type swing guy or possibly even future starting C. Kinda like I differ with some on Litton. I like the guy I just like the chance of him not being claimed and being on the ps more than others do. But the #’s game I think you have to look at it from a GM view and HC view and find some balance. It very well may be a growth year in they’re minds even coming off 2 division titles. Playing the youngsters not just at QB but other spots and development and the pain that comes with it seems like the right move to me.

booger
08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sgom21GWCpA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumb:

Will listen tonight when I get a chance. Anything interesting?

scho63
08-30-2018, 07:58 AM
If we had any real depth, I wouldn't shed a tear if we cut Dee Ford. He looks terrible.

Red Dawg
08-30-2018, 08:03 AM
I haven't watched the preseason too closely, but I haven't heard DATs name called. So they'll sign him to a 4 year extension before the season.

He's like luggage. You never throw it away.

oldman
08-30-2018, 09:34 AM
One of the OL slots will go to someone that can play C. No way Morse makes it through an entire season without a hangnail. I just don't see us carrying 4 RBs plus Sherman. I think Sherman is a keeper, so now it boils down to which of the Williams do you keep. My personal preference would be to see if we could peddle Ware and keep both D. Williams. The DAT experience just has to end. I'm tired of him lining up only to get blasted when they throw him a screen.

Hoover
08-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Chiefs are not going to keep just 2 QBs, I think Litton gets the #3 spot. McKenzie makes the team.

RealSNR
08-30-2018, 11:41 AM
I remember Andy Reid randomly plugging in Zach Fulton at practice one year, deciding he liked it, and started him in the 4th preseason game at C. Fulton had never fucking done the job before, and he basically beat out every other asshole for the job. Out of nowhere.

It’d be nice if some guy like Hunter would do that to Devey.

RealSNR
08-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Someone remind me again why we cut RNR? He was nice depth. As far as I know, we did a super cheap 1 year deal this offseason, then just told him to get fucked.

Up to that point, he was way better than any of the reserve DL guys we have now

Simply Red
08-30-2018, 11:47 AM
:thumb:

Will listen tonight when I get a chance. Anything interesting?

Sorry for the late response - all three of those guys are relatively knowledgeable - I enjoy their content - no not really - just some possibilities.

Hoover
08-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Would RNR make the team? We are keeping what 5 Dlinemen?

Chirs Jones, Allen Bailey, Jarvis Jenkins, Xavier Williams, and Derrick Nnadi

Is RNR better than Jenkins?

RealSNR
08-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Would RNR make the team? We are keeping what 5 Dlinemen?

Chirs Jones, Allen Bailey, Jarvis Jenkins, Xavier Williams, and Derrick Nnadi

Is RNR better than Jenkins?

Might be a wash. I think his 1 year contract was cheaper, though

Hoover
08-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Ahhhh

I always liked RNR, but I never thought he was some undiscoved gem that could become something great. I'm also curious to see how much they run two down DL sets with guys like Speaks and Kpass there is some flexibility within the defensive front seven. Not sure the 5th DL spot is all that critical to get worked up over.

RealSNR
08-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Ahhhh

I always liked RNR, but I never thought he was some undiscoved gem that could become something great. I'm also curious to see how much they run two down DL sets with guys like Speaks and Kpass there is some flexibility within the defensive front seven. Not sure the 5th DL spot is all that critical to get worked up over.

When he had to start due to injury, he wasn't the worst I've ever seen. At this point I'd take a guy who can keep things pretty neutral when he has to come onto the field. We have backups at some of these other spots that are giant freakin holes whenever they see defensive snaps.

Again, he was on a cheap deal. He wasn't taking the place of a draft pick or a dude with potential, either. We would have been paying less for him than we are for Frank freakin Zombo.

If he was a salary cap oops when we gave him that 1-year deal, then we should have tried to trim the fat somewhere else. Lord knows there were plenty of places we could have done it.

jjchieffan
08-30-2018, 08:48 PM
So I heard the booth say that they had been told that Wiley has definitely earned a roster spot. I don't think anyone has them on their final roster, but I guess that is why they traded away Ehinger. So the 4 starters have a spot, Erving has a spot due to his guaranteed salary, Wiley has a spot. That's 6. Witzman started at LG last year, does he return? We've also got Hunter and McKenzie with a real shot. Maybe we keep 9. If not, who goes?

Dante84
08-30-2018, 09:51 PM
So I heard the booth say that they had been told that Wiley has definitely earned a roster spot. I don't think anyone has them on their final roster, but I guess that is why they traded away Ehinger. So the 4 starters have a spot, Erving has a spot due to his guaranteed salary, Wiley has a spot. That's 6. Witzman started at LG last year, does he return? We've also got Hunter and McKenzie with a real shot. Maybe we keep 9. If not, who goes?

McKenzie is a lock.

RealSNR
08-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Dr. Wylie is going to unleash his robot masters up the asses of the AFC West!

booger
08-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Witzmann being showcased potentially for a trade? Played the whole game at RT.

philfree
08-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Litton as the 3rd QB? He seems like the perfect developmental QB.

pugsnotdrugs19
08-30-2018, 10:12 PM
TY McGill looks plenty good enough to make the team. Hope he does.

jjchieffan
08-30-2018, 10:43 PM
So which corner loses his job due to the Ward trade? I know that we all want it to be Amerson, but I doubt that happens due to the cap hit. It would have to be either Scandrick or Springs. Springs has shown more in my opinion, than Scandrick has. But will the Chiefs go with Scandrick because he's a very? I hope not. One thing for sure, the next 2 days are going to be interesting

big nasty kcnut
08-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Hearing mcgloin might get cut.

TambaBerry
08-31-2018, 04:36 AM
So which corner loses his job due to the Ward trade? I know that we all want it to be Amerson, but I doubt that happens due to the cap hit. It would have to be either Scandrick or Springs. Springs has shown more in my opinion, than Scandrick has. But will the Chiefs go with Scandrick because he's a very? I hope not. One thing for sure, the next 2 days are going to be interesting

i dont think they will look at that cap hit as a reason to keep amerson.

lcarus
08-31-2018, 04:42 AM
I really like T.Y. McGill. I thought he's looked pretty good. I don't know if we have room with our current D-linemen but I hope we keep him on practice squad at least.

RealSNR
08-31-2018, 05:48 AM
Dead money only means you're paying a guy to not play for you. If the Chiefs view Amerson as addition by subtraction, they better fucking cut his ass.

oldman
08-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Hearing mcgloin might get cut.

Nothing against McGloin, but Litton showed he deserves that #3 spot. Litton as a cannon for an arm, so why not keep someone closer to PM2 for a back up. There's no way we sneak him on the PS.

Simply Red
08-31-2018, 07:13 AM
Dead money only means you're paying a guy to not play for you. If the Chiefs view Amerson as addition by subtraction, they better ****ing cut his ass.

I can't imagine they'll keep him.

jjchieffan
08-31-2018, 07:38 AM
I just looked at his contract. Amerson only carries a dead cap hit of $625,000. His $500,000 signing bonus and his $125,000 workout bonus. See ya Amerson.

wasi
08-31-2018, 12:01 PM
QB (3) - Mahomes, Henne, Litton
RB (4) - Hunt, Ware, D.WIlliams, D.Williams
FB (1) - Sherman
WR (7) - Hill, Watkins, Conley, Robinson, Chesson, Thomas, Pringle
TE (2) - Kelce, Ellis
OL (7) - Fisher, Erving, Morse, LDT, Schwartz, Whylie, McKenzie

(24)

DL (6) Jones, Bailey, X.Williams, Nnadi, McGill, Jenkins
LB (10) Houston, Ford, Hitchens, Ragland, Kpassagnon, Speaks, Uligwe, Zombo, T.Smith, O'Daniel
DB (10) Fuller, Nelson, Scandrick, Berry, Ward, Watts, T.Smith, McQuay, Springs, Murray

(26)

ST (3) Butker, Colquitt, Winchester

(53)

kccrow
09-01-2018, 10:07 AM
My last stab before cuts are officially released...

QB (3) - Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Chase Litton
RB (3) - Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Darrel Williams
FB (1) - Anthony Sherman
TE (3) - Travis Kelce, Demetrius Harris*, Jace Amaro
WR (6) - Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Chris Conley, Gehrig Dieter, Byron Pringle
OL (9) - Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Cameron Erving, Bryan Witzmann, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Mitch Morse, Ryan Hunter, Andrew Wylie, Khalil McKenzie

DE (4) - Chris Jones, Allen Bailey, Justin Hamilton, Jarvis Jenkins
NT (2) - Xavier Williams, Derrick Nnadi
OLB (4) - Justin Houston, Dee Ford, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Breeland Speaks
ILB (5) - Anthony Hitchens, Reggie Ragland, Ben Niemann, Ukeme Eligwe, Dorian O'Daniel
CB (6) - Kendall Fuller, Steven Nelson, Charvarius Ward, Tremon Smith, Orlando Scandrick, Arrion Springs
DB (4) - Eric Berry, Eric Murray, Jordan Lucas, Armani Watts, Daniel Sorensen**

ST (3) - Harrison Butker, Dustin Colquitt, James Winchester

* Alex Ellis probably is the 3rd TE week 1, then cut week 2 and put on PS
** Sorensen will either be PUP or IR-DTR.

Considerations for PS (10) - OLB Rob McCray, DE Dee Liner, OL Jimmy Murray, WR Marcus Kemp, TE Alex Ellis*, CB D'Montre Wade, DB Jordan Sterns, WR/HB Blake Mack, RB Ray Lawry, DB Leon McQuay

I really believe Pringle played his way onto this roster over Dieter and/or Kemp and certainly over DAT. If he didn't, I fear the Chiefs are going to lose him. He's been very good all of pre-season.

kccrow
09-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Has Jehu Chesson really done enough to make this team?

I'd have Pringle, Kemp, and Dieter all over him at this point.

jjchieffan
09-01-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm not so sure that Pringle doesn't land on the practice squad. It seems like every year, we have a wide receiver that looks great in camp and everyone is saying that if we try to get him on the practice squad, that someone will grab him. Every year, we cut that guy and nobody takes him. Last year, it was Kemp and Deiter. This year it's Pringle.

kccrow
09-01-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm not so sure that Pringle doesn't land on the practice squad. It seems like every year, we have a wide receiver that looks great in camp and everyone is saying that if we try to get him on the practice squad, that someone will grab him. Every year, we cut that guy and nobody takes him. Last year, it was Kemp and Deiter. This year it's Pringle.

To me, he's looked better than Kemp and Dieter ever have. He's looked better than Chesson. I don't know man. I really think he should make the 53. I've had him on the PS all along, but he did put on a good show against GB that's going to have him noticed (especially that 47 yard kickoff return).

booger
09-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Has Jehu Chesson really done enough to make this team?

I'd have Pringle, Kemp, and Dieter all over him at this point.

WR is really tough after the first 4 imo. Pringle would make a nice upgrade to Robinson down the road hopefully. My guess is IR with him if his hammy is bad enough. They will take advantage of an injury like that even though it might be minor to stash a guy they like