PDA

View Full Version : Misc Is the Ring of Fire on Fire?

ROYC75
08-22-2018, 12:10 PM
69 quakes in a 48 hr period!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/08/22/big-one-talk-swirls-as-69-massive-earthquakes-hit-pacifics-ring-fire-in-48-hours.html

'Big One' talk swirls as 69 massive earthquakes hit the Pacific's Ring of Fire in 48 hours

A large swath of earthquakes hit the Pacific's so-called Ring of Fire earlier this week, prompting some to wonder if it is a precursor to the oft-discussed massive earthquake, colloquially known as "the Big One."

Sixty-nine earthquakes, including 16 tremors registering 4.5 or above on the Richter scale, recently hit the area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), which recorded the events but did not issue a warning.

Several of the quakes registered significant impacts, including one that hit 5.0 and shook the area on Tuesday morning. Fiji appeared to be the most impacted, as five tremors above a 4.5 magnitude hit the small island.

'BIG ONE' COMING? EARTHQUAKES OFF THE WEST COAST COULD TRIGGER A GLOBAL EVENT

Luckily, the earthquakes did not reach the western coast of the U.S., which partially sits on the Cascadia subduction zone, a fault that stretches from mid-Vancouver Island to Northern California. The recent tremors have sparked concern that "the Big One" could be near, according to The Daily Mail, but the USGS has made no mention of this.

Of the 69 earthquakes, 53 hit the area on Sunday, followed by the 16 subsequent tremors, impacting Indonesia, Bolivia, Japan and the aforementioned Fiji.

"The Big One"
"The Big One" is often described as an earthquake with a magnitude 8 or above, causing massive destruction to California, which some have said is overdue for an earthquake of this magnitude. California sits on the San Andreas fault, a 750-mile fault that has been responsible for some of the state's most devastating earthquakes.

The last earthquake that came close to a 8.0 magnitude in California was the great earthquake of 1906, which hit a magnitude of 7.9 and shook San Francisco to the ground, destroying 80 percent of the city and resulted in 3,000 deaths.

A massive earthquake registering 8.2 was registered on Sunday, hitting 174 miles north-northeast of Ndoi Island, Fiji, according to the the USGS. Luckily, the massive quake did not cause any significant damage, hitting at a depth of 347.7 miles, too deep to cause a tsunami.

“We are monitoring the situation and some places felt it, but it was a very deep earthquake,” Director Apete Soro told Reuters in an interview.

CALIFORNIA MEGA-EARTHQUAKE FEAR: IS THE SAN ANDREAS FAULT AT RISK OF THE 'BIG ONE?'

The Ring of Fire
The Ring of Fire is a 25,000 mile horseshoe-shaped ring, accounting for approximately 90 percent of the world's earthquakes, according to the USGS.

The region also contains 452 volcanoes, more than 75 percent of the world's active and dormant volcanoes.

Though the USGS did not issue a warning, the recent spat of earthquakes in the Ring of Fire could eventually cause some problems for the western part of the U.S. and other close regions.

Speaking with Vox in February, University of California Santa Cruz professor Emily Brodsky said "earthquakes and volcanoes can interact," before adding it's unclear how much the string of earthquakes we've seen in recent months are connected. Brodsky also said that having quakes and volcanic eruptions at the same time in an active area is not unusual.

SCIENTISTS FIND DOZENS OF HIDDEN EARTHQUAKES BURIED UNDER ANTARCTICA'S ICE

In late July, a string of recent earthquakes off the West Coast of the U.S., ranging from 2.8 to 5.6 on the Richter scale, also raised questions of whether the "Big One" could be near.

Follow Chris Ciaccia on Twitter @Chris_Ciaccia

Sponsored Stories You May Like

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Well, California just burnt to the ground . stands to reason it'll fall off in the ocean now.

loochy
08-22-2018, 12:28 PM
This is global warming

Thanks a lot Trump
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
08-22-2018, 12:54 PM
I fell in to a burning ring of fire.
I went down down down
And the Flames Went Higher.
And it burns burns burns
The Ring of Fire
The Ring of Fire.

Frazod
08-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Well, California just burnt to the ground . stands to reason it'll fall off in the ocean now.

I think it's still burning, but if it slid into the ocean that would put the fires out.

You always gotta look for the silver lining. :)

srvy
08-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Category 5 hurricane with the Hawaiian Island in its sight to. I guess that pretty rare in that part of the Pacific.

Baby Lee
08-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Tucks pad?

srvy
08-22-2018, 02:57 PM
I wonder if the Hawaiians are stocking up on potted meats?

Randallflagg
08-22-2018, 03:04 PM

So Kalifornia falls off into the ocean…..what's the downside?

I jest, of course - but seriously, would anyone miss that miserable state?

InChiefsHeaven
08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
I wonder if the Hawaiians are stocking up on potted meats?

They like the spam over there that's for sure.

And, I think they are called Typhoons in the Pacific, Hurricanes in the Atlantic...but I could be wrong.

Randallflagg
08-22-2018, 03:07 PM

And, I think they are called Typhoons in the Pacific, Hurricanes in the Atlantic...but I could be wrong.

I am ashamed to admit this publicly - but I LOVE Spam….. :eek:

patteeu
08-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Is 69 in 48 hours high? Is it a record? What's normal?

InChiefsHeaven
08-22-2018, 03:19 PM

Hell yes. Fried with eggs...daaaaamn good...

alnorth
08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Is 69 in 48 hours high? Is it a record? What's normal?

Its a bit high, but for context its not weird to see a dozen or two around the ring of fire in a week.

Randallflagg
08-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Hell yes. Fried with eggs...daaaaamn good...

You betcha! My Wife nearly pukes when I am making it for breakfast but (sorry) Darling! Spam for breakfast and Spam sandwiches….. :clap:

Manila-Chief
08-22-2018, 04:50 PM
George ... I thought of that song when I saw the heading!!!!

srvy
08-22-2018, 06:17 PM
You betcha! My Wife nearly pukes when I am making it for breakfast but (sorry) Darling! Spam for breakfast and Spam sandwiches….. :clap:

I can go a can of corned beef and eggs but spam no way. I was ruined from that on hunting tyrips with my Dad my Uncle and there friends. Spam and or Treet sandwiches and velveeta cheese. Hate those food items all too this day.

srvy
08-22-2018, 06:20 PM

I thought the same but Noaa has named it Hurricane Lane.

Hydrae
08-22-2018, 06:21 PM
I thought the same but Noaa has named it Hurricane Lane.

I think it is just those on the western side of the Pacific or something. I also think they are called Cyclones in the Indian Ocean.

Chief Roundup
08-22-2018, 06:22 PM
According to the USGS there is roughly 50 earthquakes a day world wide and 90% of those happen on the Ring of Fire. So roughly 45 a day average on the Ring of Fire. So I don't know why 69 in 48 hours, 2 days, is a huge deal when 90 would be average.
I understand that averages can be misleading because of flareups.

ptlyon
08-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Spam good. Pork chops good.

scho63
08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
If California breaks off into their own island, maybe we can make them like Puerto Rico! ROFL

Plus my drive to the ocean just dropped by about 4 hours!

mlyonsd
08-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Nobody has queued Johnny Cash yet?

srvy
08-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Gblowfish did

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:14 PM

We can only hope. Nothing good comes from Cali... Well, nothing we need at least.

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:15 PM
This is global warming

Thanks a lot Trump
Posted via Mobile Device

I blame my lawn mower.

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Category 5 hurricane with the Hawaiian Island in its sight to. I guess that pretty rare in that part of the Pacific.

If Japan had only waited a few more decades.... LMAO

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:19 PM
So Kalifornia falls off into the ocean…..what's the downside?

I jest, of course - but seriously, would anyone miss that miserable state?

I don't... Outside of some fruit 'n veggies, Cali is a liability to the nation.

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:20 PM

The scouts make it every campout. And yes, made right it's not as bad as MREs.

Then again, MREs are from "da debil"!!

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:22 PM
If California breaks off into their own island, maybe we can make them like Puerto Rico! ROFL

Plus my drive to the ocean just dropped by about 4 hours!

I hope they sink and The Meg eats them... Why? Because of their politics.

srvy
08-22-2018, 09:25 PM
I don't... Outside of some fruit 'n veggies, Cali is a liability to the nation.

Hey there is some good there Clint Eastwood and Ronnie Reagan called it home.

GloryDayz
08-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Hey there is some good there Clint Eastwood and Ronnie Reagan called it home.

I recommend they leave now. Short of that, they're fate is in their own hands.

ROYC75
08-22-2018, 09:34 PM

Well ..... just because!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1oipi" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"></iframe>

loochy
08-23-2018, 06:43 AM
I blame my lawn mower.

Don't blame Mexican people. That's racist.
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz
08-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Don't blame Mexican people. That's racist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just because I have olive tone skin doesn't mean I'm Mexican! :harumph:

alnorth
08-23-2018, 10:36 AM
According to the USGS there is roughly 50 earthquakes a day world wide and 90% of those happen on the Ring of Fire. So roughly 45 a day average on the Ring of Fire. So I don't know why 69 in 48 hours, 2 days, is a huge deal when 90 would be average.
I understand that averages can be misleading because of flareups.

Most of those are well under 4.5 though. Having this many at 4.5 or above is oddly high, but by no means apocalyptic.

tooge
08-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Where would I need to buy land in Cal to have beachfront property when the coastal region falls into the ocean?

GloryDayz
08-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Where would I need to buy land in Cal to have beachfront property when the coastal region falls into the ocean?

Garden City, KS (I hope)..

Mike in SW-MO
08-23-2018, 12:24 PM
I think it's still burning, but if it slid into the ocean that would put the fires out.

You always gotta look for the silver lining. :)

Caught fire.
Fell over.
THEN sank into the swamp.

Mike in SW-MO
08-23-2018, 12:28 PM

Spam.
Spam.
Spam.
Spam.

Spammidty spaaam.
Wonderful Spam.

Buehler445
08-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Garden City, KS (I hope)..

That’s a little close, dude. I have ground west of Garden as the crow flies. I’d prefer not to lose it.

Baby Lee
08-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Caught fire.
Fell over.
THEN sank into the swamp.

Spam.
Spam.
Spam.
Spam.

Spammidty spaaam.
Wonderful Spam.

TWEEEEEET!!

Foul on the play, consecutive Pythonisms, 15 yards and loss of down!!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2786751/hands-to-face_medium.gif

GloryDayz
08-23-2018, 04:18 PM
That’s a little close, dude. I have ground west of Garden as the crow flies. I’d prefer not to lose it.

Put rocks around it, water never rises above rocks...

Mike in SW-MO
08-24-2018, 08:16 AM
TWEEEEEET!!

Foul on the play, consecutive Pythonisms, 15 yards and loss of down!!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2786751/hands-to-face_medium.gif

Totally worth it.

RedRaider56
08-24-2018, 08:22 AM
The scouts make it every campout.

And ^^^this is why I can't stand to eat SPAM to this day.