PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What we have learned from the presason...

petegz28
08-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Through almost 3 games what we have seen so far...

Vanilla is the clutch excuse for softness:
This team still lacks toughness at the line on both sides of the ball. I put this on the coaching moreso than the players to a large degree

Mahomes could be special but is human:
Mahomes is going to be a very good QB and possibly even great. He has a cannon, he looks fairly accurate and he looks to make plays downfield. But he is human and will make dumb decisions as we have seen at times. It's all part of the learning curve of a young QB

Offense has weapons:
Mahoms, Hunt, Hill, Kelce and Watkins are legit threats all over the field. Now we just need to see the coaching use them properly

Coaching is still a problem:
Particularly on defense. This team is soft and lacks any kind of nasty streak. No discipline and no sense of attack. We have come to see this as a pattern under Reid. But Sutton appears to be lost on defense. Yes, we lack some talent but nothing I have seen says it's all because of a lack of talent. When a unit collectively sucks it can usually be attributed to the coaching.

Lack of talent and injuries:
Berry, Hitchens and Ragland not playing most if any of the preseason hasn't helped in evaluating how the defense may be in the end. We are still hurting at CB save Fuller but we also seem to still be getting knocked off the ball and lacking any consistent pressure. Offensively our line seems to be same as it was. Soft and I see that as more of a lack of talent, particularly inside. Morse is not a C, imo. He is too small and gets stuffed to easily which kills any runs up the middle and forget any pocket formation.

I think the positives will be the offensive skill positions but I am not sure that's going to be enough to overcome what I think is just a bad defensive team which starts with the Defensive Coordinator.

If I had to call it now I would say this team is 6-10 given our schedule.

TLO
08-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Nvm

tmax63
08-25-2018, 12:28 PM
24 points by Chicago's 2nd team. They'll be lucky for Mahomes to win them 4 games.

Coogs
08-25-2018, 12:40 PM
We have won the toss and deferred to the second half. That's a bad idea this season. Send the offense out first. Otherwise we will be playing from behind all the time.

TEX
08-25-2018, 12:49 PM
We have won the toss and deferred to the second half. That's a bad idea this season. Send the offense out first. Otherwise we will be playing from behind all the time.

I completely agree.

Bwana
08-25-2018, 01:57 PM
I learned I picked a good year to shit can Sunday Ticket.

Sandy Vagina
08-25-2018, 02:01 PM

damn, really? I would have thought it worth it just to see the development of Pat Mahomes. Well, that AND catching SF, Washington, and the KC games. :p

Bwana
08-25-2018, 02:03 PM
damn, really? I would have thought it worth it just to see the development of Pat Mahomes. Well, that AND catching SF, Washington, and the KC games. :p

Yeah, Really.

Red Dawg
08-25-2018, 02:09 PM
We will be last in the division. We don't have any players worth a shit in our secondary. Could stop the pass last year and can't this year. Getting turnovers is done. We won't get shit.

Best22
08-25-2018, 02:15 PM
This defense is reminding me of the Bears in 2014

A lot of changes were made by new coach Marc Trestman. Watch the Bears-Pats game from 2014.

My gawd

3rd&Long
08-25-2018, 02:17 PM
That was an intelligent assessment that I can't argue against at this point in time. Sad season ahead but so have the last 47 in one form or the other.

Dark Horse
08-25-2018, 02:19 PM
We confirmed what most already suspected that this team was not built to win now, we're building for the next couple of years.

stevieray
08-25-2018, 02:20 PM
buy tickets next year?

Best22
08-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Part of me wants to make the playoffs...because Chiefs

The other part of me doesn't want to see the embarrassing loss.

Best case scenario is 6th seed playoff berth and a 28-45 playoff loss that gets Sutton canned

JakeF
08-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Andy Reid believes that scheme is what matters. He doesn't worry about Toughness,discipline and being aggresive. That will continue to hurt us on defense and along the offensive line. The penalties are on Andy too.

synthesis2
08-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Agreed that our defense looked bad against their 2nds but Daniels is a better QB right now than trubisky. T will be better down the road but he isn’t as polished as chase at the moment. Stinks nevertheless

OrtonsPiercedTaint
08-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Chase Daniels will finally be correct. When 5 other NFL teams have his clones on the field next season.

TEX
08-25-2018, 02:48 PM
We confirmed what most already suspected that this team was not built to win now, we're building for the next couple of years.

Yep. Im ok with it. This season is about Mahomes, Mahomes and MORE MAHOMES. I just want to see him develop into the Franchise QB we think he can be.

KChiefs1
08-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Best case scenario is 6th seed playoff berth and a 28-45 playoff loss that gets Sutton canned

If this team makes the playoffs, it will be because Mahomes has had a 1984 Marino-type season.

HemiEd
08-25-2018, 03:53 PM
I am questioning my commitment to the NFL at all anymore. Too many things going the wrong way.

When KPass got that sack, with the resulting penalty, mowing the yard was more appealing than watching the big market get what they were getting. Their fans are going to be fired up now, woopee.

You want a tough defense? How in the fuck can the defense be tough with that kind of a call? Would that call gone the other way if Mahomes was sacked? Hell no.

Go all the way back to the Trent Green injury. Then go to the forward progress call in the playoffs. Then this sack.

Fuck it, not many fucks left to give. I am officially after 48 years now a casual fan.

KChiefs1
08-25-2018, 03:54 PM
What I learned?

Draft Tyreek in the 3rd round. Mahomes loves him some Cheetah.

smithandrew051
08-25-2018, 03:56 PM

But if we make the playoffs, will Sutton get fired? I would argue they would call that a sign of improvement. The defense can’t rank much worse than it did last year.

MTG#10
08-25-2018, 04:00 PM

I dont need ST because I live in MO, but how the hell do you make that decision this season? We finally draft a QBOTF, get rid of Alice so he can actually play and learn and this is the season you decide to ditch ST?

:shake:

Bob Dole
08-25-2018, 04:25 PM
I am questioning my commitment to the NFL at all anymore. Too many things going the wrong way.

When KPass got that sack, with the resulting penalty, mowing the yard was more appealing than watching the big market get what they were getting. Their fans are going to be fired up now, woopee.

You want a tough defense? How in the **** can the defense be tough with that kind of a call? Would that call gone the other way if Mahomes was sacked? Hell no.

Go all the way back to the Trent Green injury. Then go to the forward progress call in the playoffs. Then this sack.

**** it, not many ****s left to give. I am officially after 48 years now a casual fan.

Chicago also flopped on a sliding QB. No flag.

TwistedChief
08-25-2018, 04:36 PM
We learned Mahomes is legit and exciting, the OL is below average, and the defense - which in fairness has never been at 100pct - has some glaring problems. Peters was great because he was an anchor of the bend-don’t-break and shut off half the field and created turnovers which this set of DBs will never be able to match. We learned that perhaps we should’ve spent the Watkins money on a DB but in my opinion, it’s much too early to judge that. We’ve learned that our run defense (after today) might have some hope.

But we’ve learned that Mahomes is legit. That is going to cover so many other glaring weaknesses for the next decade. He is a star.

This preseason hasn’t been pretty but I think CP is being massively short-sighted.

HemiEd
08-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Chicago also flopped on a sliding QB. No flag.Yep, no question, there were numerous plays where you say just why the fuck should I even care? Too many billions involved and they are making it less about football each season.

It is all about marketing.

Bwana
I dont need ST because I live in MO, but how the hell do you make that decision this season? We finally draft a QBOTF, get rid of Alice so he can actually play and learn and this is the season you decide to ditch ST?

:shake:

They wouldn't cut me a deal this year, so I dropped it like a hot rock.

BlackHelicopters
3-13

jdubya
08-25-2018, 04:58 PM
"What have we learned from the pre season?"

Nothing is as good as it seems.
Nothing is as bad as it seems.

Rain Man
08-25-2018, 05:03 PM
The things I've learned so far:

Patrick Mahomes II is the real deal.
Spencer Ware is out of shape or something.
Tyreek Hill is even more astounding than last year.
The receiving corps is going to be a strength.
Watkins needs to step it up or DRobinson should start over him.
The offensive line is going to be the weak link on the offense.
Eric Fisher continues to regress.
We need LDTMD and Schwartz to hold the right side of the line so others can help on the left.
Butker is the real deal.
Colquitt remains Colquitt
The D-line looks pretty decent, all in all.
Speaks is too slow to be a linebacker
Kpassagnon is developing quickly and should start.
No idea about Houston, but presume that he'll still be good when he starts playing for real.
Dee Ford is a liability and should be benched for Kpass
Our new ILBs look to be a weak link.
The secondary is the thing that will kill us this year, and I have no doubt about that.

TwistedChief
08-25-2018, 05:07 PM

We need LDTMD and Schwartz to hold the right side of the line so they can help on the left.
Butker is the real deal.
No idea about Houston, but presume that he'll still be good when he starts playing for real.
The secondary is the thing that will kill us this year, and I have no doubt about that.

I agree 100% with all of this but our new ILBs? As a weak link? That’s a harsh assessment with a limited sample size. I think you’re still upset by the ILB play of the 1987 Ermines and you’re lashing out.

Rain Man
08-25-2018, 05:12 PM
I agree 100% with all of this but our new ILBs? As a weak link? That’s a harsh assessment with a limited sample size. I think you’re still upset by the ILB play of the 1987 Ermines and you’re lashing out.

I'll concede that that observation is based on only one game. In fairness, it's one game where the Bears backups put up over 1,000 yards and 60 points (estimated figures based on my perceptions) against the Chiefs #1 defense in one half of play, and I saw Ragland in particular whiffing a lot.

I really hope they'll stiffen up going forward.

The other key is getting a pass rush to protect the secondary. That's why I like Kpass. He seems to be effective at generating pressure.

NJChiefsFan
08-25-2018, 05:14 PM
I'll concede that that observation is based on only one game. In fairness, it's one game where the Bears backups put up over 1,000 yards and 60 points (estimated figures based on my perceptions) against the Chiefs #1 defense in one half of play, and I saw Ragland in particular whiffing a lot.

The other key is getting a pass rush to protect the secondary. That's why I like Kpass. He seems to be effective at generating pressure.

He also made a bunch of good plays. Hitchens didn't look great in coverage although that's not really his main role here.

TwistedChief
08-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Ugh. Thought you would say that. Kpass is practically a savage. That sack? Clearly against the rules of flag football. In today’s NFL, a sack is a sack only if you gently pick up and place the QB on the ground a la Sleeping Beauty.

Our ILBs were going to be rusty today. I can deal with that. Nnadi and Speaks flashed some and that makes me happy. Hitchens and Ragland have the benefit of the doubt for the first 2-3 weeks of the actual season.

CupidStunt
08-25-2018, 05:22 PM
I learned nothing on offense. Mahomes has all the talent in the world, will make mistakes, the future is bright. Hill is 1 of the best players on the field every snap. OL is meh. We'll be pretty good to great, all depending on Mahomie.

On D, I learned that every single player on the field is even worse than I thought, with exceptions for Fuller (seems like a beast) and the ILBs, I'll give them a break being rusty, but hopes are still low. Everyone else that matters was putrid from the 1st snap to the last.

FAX
08-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Anyone else slightly concerned that Mahomes seems to prefer bailing on the "pocket" about half the time? NFL o-line dudes are expecting the QB to be a certain place at a certain time as the play unfolds ... kinda confusing for those guys.

It appears to be a natural response so I doubt Reid will try and coach it out of him, though. (He'll probably be too busy trying to drown Veach and his CB scouts in the cold tub.)

FAX THE INQUISITIVE

Hammock Parties
08-25-2018, 05:26 PM
pete is still a dumbass

TwistedChief
08-25-2018, 05:31 PM
Anyone else slightly concerned that Mahomes seems to prefer bailing on the "pocket" about half the time? NFL o-line dudes are expecting the QB to be a certain place at a certain time as the play unfolds ... kinda confusing for those guys.

It appears to be a natural response so I doubt Reid will try and coach it out of him, though. (He'll probably be too busy trying to drown Veach and his CB scouts in the cold tub.)

FAX THE INQUISITIVE

Hi, FAX. Alex Smith did this 97% of the time and Mahomes does it 53% of the time. I like QBs who don’t get caught in Vietnam and those who can look downfield as a pocket collapses. I think the Chiefs have an above average participant in the competition now after several years of fielding a guy who was a truly mediocre dodgeball player.

Hammock Parties
08-25-2018, 05:36 PM

FAX THE INQUISITIVE

The difference between Alex and Mahomes when they bail is that when Alex does it, the play is dead 9 times out of 10, because he doesn't have the talent to make throws on the run beyond 10 yards.

Mahomes has a fucking world class cannon and the play is just beginning. Like Aaron Rodgers.

The Chiefs are going to get some HUGE plays out of Mahomes ad libbing this year, and soon afterwards you're going to see teams start dialing back their rush just to keep Mahomes in the pocket.

And then he is going to be absolutely lethal, because he already knows how to stay IN the pocket and kill a defense.

Good times are coming.

HAMMOCK THE HORNY

TEX
08-25-2018, 05:42 PM

We need LDTMD and Schwartz to hold the right side of the line so others can help on the left.
Butker is the real deal.

I agree. Holding judgment on the ILB's for now though. But you're spot on with everything else. This will be the worst season record wise since Reid got here. Id bet 6 -10.

ROYC75
08-25-2018, 05:45 PM
"What have we learned from the pre season?"

Nothing is as good as it seems.
Nothing is as bad as it seems.

Well, our efense made Chase Daniel look like a Pro Bowler and Tyler Bray look like a decent back up QB.

That my friend is scary!

NWTF
08-25-2018, 08:01 PM
We will be last in the division. We don't have any players worth a shit in our secondary. Could stop the pass last year and can't this year. Getting turnovers is done. We won't get shit.

Defense will suck no doubt. The talent just isnt there so no reason to expect otherwise. O will have some really good days, and maybe by the final third of the season be good consistently. I dont expect it early on. Division isnt that great so who knows, the Chiefs could still be the shiniest turd in the bunch.

PmCakes
08-25-2018, 08:06 PM
We could save this sinking ship but Andy refuses to let go of Sutton. It's become sad and pathetic.

Eleazar
08-25-2018, 08:16 PM

I was thinking about picking it up again this year, but I'm not going to pay a boatload of money to watch the 2003 defense all over again.

hometeam
08-25-2018, 08:33 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/d9520d4e15552abc3cf966be7737b486/tenor.gif?itemid=4844179

TEX
08-25-2018, 09:58 PM
I was thinking about picking it up again this year, but I'm not going to pay a boatload of money to watch the 2003 defense all over again.

My reasoning as well. Ill catch the Mahomes show at a sports bar when able. Not throwing down any cash to watch the Sutton & Co. _efensive shit show.

carcosa
08-25-2018, 10:03 PM
John McCain would be an upgrade at CB

Hammock Parties
08-25-2018, 10:06 PM

He knows how to get low.

Won't get burned.

jdubya
08-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Back on topic:

We know MaHomes is a pre season champ......(time will tell on career stats)

Defense is suspect

etc

Best22
08-25-2018, 10:41 PM

if he was still alive, I'd say bring him in for a look

bdj23
08-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Mahomes is good

Trading Peters was stupid

MahiMike
08-26-2018, 09:34 AM

I thought the same thing yesterday. Quit trying to be the PAtriots. Take it to THEM.

Red Dawg
08-26-2018, 09:42 AM
What we learned is this is a throw away season for Mahomes to take charge. 19 and 20 should sell out seasons to go for it all. Almost every position on defense has question mark. That's not playoff caliber.

Mr. Kotter
08-26-2018, 09:56 AM
pete is still a dumbass

Wow, something I can agree with you on. His football takes, are even dumber than his political takes. :eek:

Eleazar
08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Mahomes is good

Trading Peters was stupid

I'm sure that Veach didn't trade Peters for so little just out of spite. Even the worst executive would want to get the most value in trade for him. That must have just been where the market for 1 year of Peters was.

The problem is that the defense continues to get worse with no signs of that changing, and that we are overburdened by huge contracts for aging and underperforming players.

If the defense is going to be one of the worst in the league, we can do that in the process of a youth movement. We don't need albatross contracts weighing around the neck of the rebuilding effort. We don't need to give reps to players that won't be playing at a high level when the defense is ready to contend. The approach seems to be incoherent.

Maybe they thought they could make chicken salad out of the JAG collection they've got right now and those players haven't responded... whatever. This coming offseason we should expect to see some major housecleaning or else Veach should get the same vote of no confidence that Reid and Sutton have already earned.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-26-2018, 09:58 AM
What "we" have learned is what everyone should have known: this place is filled with kneejerk reactions. A sizable portion of this website will turn on Mahomes at some point in this season. Book it.

Mr. Kotter
08-26-2018, 10:02 AM
What "we" have learned is what everyone should have known: this place is filled with kneejerk reactions. A sizable portion of this website will turn on Mahomes at some point in this season. Book it.

Yep. The only thing to prevent it, would be a pro bowl season...

Eleazar
08-26-2018, 10:13 AM

There should be a pool on the date the first "Should we start Henne?" thread will appear

TEX
08-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Maybe. But I'd best MOST here will give Mahomes the time he needs to develop. And, curse that SHIT _efense and OL he has to deal with and those responsible for them.

Three7s
08-26-2018, 11:04 AM
There should be a pool on the date the first "Should we start Henne?" thread will appear

I'll go with after week 2 when the Steelers smoke us for the millionth time.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2018, 12:23 PM

I don't think so. There are small pockets of buffoons who will, but I'm really hoping the majority of this place realizes what he is and what he has the chance to become and gives him the wiggle room he is owed as a first-year starter.

Easy 6
08-26-2018, 12:28 PM

The man who starts that thread will be negged into oblivion

Red Dawg
08-26-2018, 12:32 PM
It a throw away year. That's what happens when you start over with a young QB. The Chiefs are in a transition year. If Veach doesn't go all in and fix our defense in 19 and 20 then he's a damn idiot. Paying a taleted QB nothing is the window for the SB run. Brady will be 42. Bell will not be a Steeler. That's our chance. 2019 and 2020.

KChiefs1
08-26-2018, 03:42 PM
It a throw away year. That's what happens when you start over with a young QB.

Start over? Huh?

Mahomes is 10 times better than Alex.

This team will live or die by it’s defense. Mahomes will be great.

displacedinMN
08-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Start over? Huh?

Maybe I will only watch the offense this year.

CoMoChief
08-26-2018, 04:02 PM
The D is going to be fucking dogshit. We'll be calling for Scandrick and Amerson's heads by week 3. Both were terrible, (desparate) signings.

Amerson looked like Bill Bartee out there....against backups...Bears backups mind you, a team that has a new coach because the team sucked too bad.

King_Chief_Fan
08-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Start over? Huh?

ROFL....he looked a lot like Alex yesterday except PM runs backwards away from the los

Easy 6
08-26-2018, 04:13 PM
ROFL....he looked a lot like Alex yesterday except PM runs backwards away from the los

Pat Mahomes doesnt always run backwards
But when he does, he completes lasers to Tyreek Hill

Randallflagg
08-26-2018, 04:18 PM

Hell, if Reid was going to can Sutton - he'd have done it already. Sutton isn't going anywhere (unfortunately).

King_Chief_Fan
08-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Pat Mahomes doesnt always run backwards
But when he does, he completes lasers to Tyreek Hill

I must have missed those yesterday when 3rd down conversions could not be made...for crying out loud he was playing against the b teamers