PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Mazda CX-5, anyone have one?

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 07:55 PM
The Mrs wants something with AWD, which is fine with me. I was thinking something sensible like a Equinox or Escape, but she's fallen in love with a Mazda Grand Touring CX-5, and she's probably going to pull the trigger on it. I'm not sure I can stop her, but I can take her down with a tranquilizer dart for a while if necessary. I don't know anything about these things.

Please share any knowledge you may have about this vehicle. TIA

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-28-2018, 08:00 PM
SAUTO has a 2005 Equinox he'll sell you

lewdog
08-28-2018, 08:03 PM
We bought a CX-9 last year and I've really grown to love it. The Mazda interior is very nice, very comfortable leather seats and the touch screen on the dash is great. We'd have gotten a CX-5 if we didn't want the extra space of the Cx-9.

Ours isn't AWD so I can't help you there. But Mazda makes the most affordable SUVs for what you get IMO.

Grand Touring is the top dog too. Go Mrs. Bugeater!

wazu
08-28-2018, 08:08 PM
I have a 2016 CX-5. One thing I will say is the auto-pilot cruise is amazing. Where it senses the car in front of you, so you can set cruise control to 75, and if you come up on a care going 67, it slows down to that pace, and then when the car goes away, you speed back up again. That is amazing. Pretty sure that'll be included with the Grand Touring.

Infotainment system is a buggy piece of crap. The AWD is weird as it supposedly only kicks in when needed, but as far as I know through all weather and off roads it never has.

The cruise control is the only thing that would motivate me to buy one again. It's that amazing. But I'm guessing it will be available in other cars if it's not already.

HemiEd
08-28-2018, 08:15 PM
Those Mazda Wankel engines are pretty cool and very different. I think I would wait until they have been making them longer before buying one though.

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Those Mazda Wankel engines are pretty cool and very different. I think I would wait until they have been making them longer before buying one though.
Not a Wankel, it has a 16V 4 cyl. Think the Wankels have been around since the 70s though?

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 08:38 PM
We bought a CX-9 last year and I've really grown to love it. The Mazda interior is very nice, very comfortable leather seats and the touch screen on the dash is great. We'd have gotten a CX-5 if we didn't want the extra space of the Cx-9.

Ours isn't AWD so I can't help you there. But Mazda makes the most affordable SUVs for what you get IMO.

Grand Touring is the top dog too. Go Mrs. Bugeater!
Yeah, the interior does look pretty amazing. Lots of buttons and gizmos to confuse us old people.

https://0658a5ac1abcd9b25ddc-d7db98ce503fca663f86c88c8edb2d56.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/JM3KE4DY5G0659405/47645148597b8d068291d9056425eae5.jpg

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 08:41 PM
I have a 2016 CX-5. One thing I will say is the auto-pilot cruise is amazing. Where it senses the car in front of you, so you can set cruise control to 75, and if you come up on a care going 67, it slows down to that pace, and then when the car goes away, you speed back up again. That is amazing. Pretty sure that'll be included with the Grand Touring.

Infotainment system is a buggy piece of crap. The AWD is weird as it supposedly only kicks in when needed, but as far as I know through all weather and off roads it never has.

The cruise control is the only thing that would motivate me to buy one again. It's that amazing. But I'm guessing it will be available in other cars if it's not already.
The one she is looking at is a 2016. How roomy is it? I'm 6'1", am I going to fit in it?

Not that she'll ever let me drive it, but I may get to ride in it once in a while.

wazu
08-28-2018, 08:44 PM
The one she is looking at is a 2016. How roomy is it? I'm 6'1", am I going to fit in it?

Not that she'll ever let me drive it, but I may get to ride in it once in a while.

Yeah, you’ll be comfortable in the passenger seat. People in backseat might be a little crowded, but you’ll be good.

Rain Man
08-28-2018, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the interior does look pretty amazing. Lots of buttons and gizmos to confuse us old people.

The trend today is toward just having a screen and really clean lines, and I hate that. I want an interior that's looks like the cockpit of a space shuttle. I want toggles and dials and lighted push buttons and switches, none of which are clearly labeled. And I'm not joking at all. I love the look of a complex cockpit.

I want this in my car:

https://www.featurepics.com/StockImage/20070730/fighter-cockpit-stock-photo-396041.jpg

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Yeah, you’ll be comfortable in the passenger seat. People in backseat might be a little crowded, but you’ll be good.
Hopefully I never misbehave to the point that she makes me ride in the back seat. Definitely can't rule it out though.

BryanBusby
08-28-2018, 08:52 PM
I have a 2016 CX-5 Touring

AMA

TrebMaxx
08-28-2018, 08:56 PM
I have a friend that has a 2017. Rode in the back seat from Chicago to CoMo and never felt uncomfortable. Weather was crap but that thing just kept going. I do believe it was AWD. Nice ride to be honest.

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 08:58 PM
I have a 2016 CX-5 Touring

AMA
How many miles have you put on it? Any issues with it? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Are you aware of anything we should look out for when buying one?

This will be the most expensive vehicle we've ever purchased so I don't want to screw up.

Buehler445
08-28-2018, 09:00 PM

Get her ass a Tahoe. :D

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Shit that probably wouldn't even fit in our garage. I suggested a Jeep multiple times but she was having none of that.

Buehler445
08-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Shit that probably wouldn't even fit in our garage. I suggested a Jeep multiple times but she was having none of that.

Damn. I was hoping you’d freak out about the price. Ya cheap fuck. :D

Show up with one of those new grand cherokees. They look sweet.

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Damn. I was hoping you’d freak out about the price. Ya cheap fuck. :D

Show up with one of those new grand cherokees. They look sweet.
Heh, I'm already freaking about the price of this thing, especially after my truck debacle. But if I looked at what a newer Grand Cherokee costs I'd probably feel a lot better about it.

BryanBusby
08-28-2018, 09:40 PM
How many miles have you put on it? Any issues with it? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Are you aware of anything we should look out for when buying one?

This will be the most expensive vehicle we've ever purchased so I don't want to screw up.
I am about to hit 40k miles. I haven't had to put it in the repair shop once, so far at least.

I like that it fits the wife, myself and our daughter in pretty comfortably and that I can get close to 30 mpg on long trips. It has retained value fairly decent and it isn't a bad looking car.

As already mentioned, the entertainment "portal" on it is a bit glitchy so prepare for it to shit itself here and there. I experience it the most when I have it in GPS mode, stop somewhere (shutting the car off) and get back in and get rolling again. It definitely has some lag getting caught back up and will sometimes have to reboot itself, but nothing awful. I had a stupid pop spray because of one of those vacuum sealed bottles, so I somehow have to figure out how to get soda out from underneath all those buttons fml

The only real complaint I have on the car is the occasional turbo lag. It doesn't happen all the time, but when you get that lag, you want that turbo to kick in the most. If you click the pedal down to the floor completely, you will mostly get the turbo to kick in right away.

It's a pretty dull family car, but Mazda is pretty reliable and underrated as a brand.

Pro Tip: Every single one has GPS capability, but most of them will need an SD card to actually use the on screen navigation. Don't give Mazda several hundred dollars--some ebay guy in a poor 3rd world European country sells them for $45.

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 09:46 PM
They are turbocharged? I don't recall seeing any mention of that in the ads.

Anyway, appreciate the feedback. At least it's her decision so if it goes badly she can't blame me. :)

BryanBusby
08-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Anyway, appreciate the feedback. At least it's her decision so if it goes badly she can't blame me. :)
Yep, they are turbo 4 bangers

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Yep, they are turbo 4 bangers
Well that will be interesting, neither of us have had anything turbocharged before. Her Solara has a massive 24V 6cyl, curious to see how this thing compares to that.

BryanBusby
08-28-2018, 10:18 PM
It's not going to wow your socks off or anything, but when she test drives one and clicks in the gas pedal all the way...she will notice the turbo.

Simply Red
08-28-2018, 10:48 PM
I swear Bob Dole had one.

Bugeater
08-28-2018, 11:54 PM
I swear Bob Dole had one.
He did have some little white crossover thing for a while, it very well could have been one. I believe he had an RX-8 at one time as well, he must be a Mazda fanboy.

Bob Dole
08-29-2018, 03:16 AM
He did have some little white crossover thing for a while, it very well could have been one. I believe he had an RX-8 at one time as well, he must be a Mazda fanboy.

I had a CX-7. Solid car.

farmerchief
08-29-2018, 06:56 AM
The Mrs wants something with AWD, which is fine with me. I was thinking something sensible like a Equinox or Escape, but she's fallen in love with a Mazda Grand Touring CX-5, and she's probably going to pull the trigger on it. I'm not sure I can stop her, but I can take her down with a tranquilizer dart for a while if necessary. I don't know anything about these things.

Please share any knowledge you may have about this vehicle. TIA

We bought a Mazda Grand Touring CX-9 several years ago, it was used, and is a 2010 model. We have over 100,000 miles on it now, and not really any major repairs besides usual maintenance. We live in a rural area, 4 miles from any blacktop roads. When we were looking for a "crossover" type vehicle for my wife to drive I did quite a bit of research. May not be of interest to you, but the Mazdas had the most ground clearance of any other competitive brands. Beings we sometimes travel muddy roads, that was key in our decision. Reliability was another, Mazda is one good company, in my opinon. I would buy another, and they do go, "Zoom,Zoom,Zoom" :-)

SAUTO
08-29-2018, 03:53 PM
SAUTO has a 2005 Equinox he'll sell you

ROFL I did. I put it together this morning and just sold it. I sold the Silverado that needed the bed and bumper too.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-29-2018, 06:11 PM
I have a 2013 CX-5, but it's the base model (6-speed).

Have nothing but good things to say about it.

Eureka
08-29-2018, 07:03 PM

Tahoe is built on a truck chassis while the Mazda is built on a unabody (car chassis) which means it will have a sporty feel for the road. Mazda's are fun to drive in general.

HemiEd
08-29-2018, 07:47 PM
Not a Wankel, it has a 16V 4 cyl. Think the Wankels have been around since the 70s though?

My attempt at humor, yeah I think they may be long gone. But they will be forever attached to the Mazda in my memory.

Buehler445
08-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Tahoe is built on a truck chassis while the Mazda is built on a unabody (car chassis) which means it will have a sporty feel for the road. Mazda's are fun to drive in general.

Depends on what you like to drive. So many cars now are underpowered from the Obama EPA fuel requirements that a bunch of car companies made everything as light as they could and put shit ass motors in them, that the last time wife was wanting to buy a car I wasn't impressed in terms of "fun to drive".

I know nothing about Mazda or the CX-5, but it's very likely that a Tahoe with a 5.3 would perform pretty well comparatively. My half ton pickup certainly performed as well as my wife's Buick Regal.

Bug needs to buy her a Denali with the 6.2L in it and it will be a hot ass racecar :D

Donger
08-30-2018, 07:42 AM

Check to see if it requires premium/high octane fuel.

COchief
08-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Depends on what you like to drive. So many cars now are underpowered from the Obama EPA fuel requirements

Totally bro:

2018 Camry and Accord:
0-60 5.7 5.8
QUARTER MILE 14.3 sec @ 99.3 mph 14.3 sec @ 99.6 mph

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 0-60 mph 5.1 | Quarter mile 13.5

CX-5 is a cool ride for the segment and definitely offers a little more zoom-zoom than the rest, the car mag and other guys love the way all the Mazdas drive. Probably wouldn't want to own too far out of warranty due to AWD + Mazda solid but also so-so reliability.

*edit: not a turbo 4 apparently*

mr. tegu
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM
I find it interesting that you consider an Escape and Equinox as sensible. What are you referring to on that? They are both just as, if not more expensive than the CX-5 on the comparable trims. At least that’s the case on the new cars. We just bought a CRV and where surprised at the costs being pretty equal across almost all makes.

BigBeauford
08-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Mazda is roundly praised for their above class interiors, and their driving feel (combination of steering feedback, ride composure, and low body roll). I would certainly take a new CX-5 over any SUV in its class. Hell I think I would take a CX-9 over anything not a minivan.

Bugeater
08-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Totally bro:

2018 Camry and Accord:
0-60 5.7 5.8
QUARTER MILE 14.3 sec @ 99.3 mph 14.3 sec @ 99.6 mph

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 0-60 mph 5.1 | Quarter mile 13.5

CX-5 is a cool ride for the segment and definitely offers a little more zoom-zoom than the rest, the car mag and other guys love the way all the Mazdas drive. Probably wouldn't want to own too far out of warranty due to turbo 4 + AWD + Mazda solid but also so-so reliability.
She drove a friend's 2017 Touring CX-5 last night, and it wasn't turbocharged. I'm still not convinced the GT is either as it makes no mention in the ad. Guess we'll find out when we go look at it later this afternoon. Nevertheless, if it doesn't have the turbo, she's taking a big hit in power from her Solara. That thing was a rocket compared to the CX-5.

Bugeater
08-30-2018, 12:46 PM
I find it interesting that you consider an Escape and Equinox as sensible. What are you referring to on that? They are both just as, if not more expensive than the CX-5 on the comparable trims. At least that’s the case on the new cars. We just bought a CRV and where surprised at the costs being pretty equal across almost all makes.
They appeared to be more inexpensive from a cursory search, but she nixed them pretty quickly so I didn't dig too deep. Could be the fact that the CX-5 she wants is the high end model.

Long term, it does seem like the domestics are cheaper when it comes to repairs, especially parts.

Bugeater
08-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Here it is, I just read the entire thing again, nothing about turbo. 184 hp doesn't sound bad though.

https://www.stewhansens.com/inventory/used-2016-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-awd-4d-sport-utility-jm3ke4dy5g0659405

lawrenceRaider
08-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Here it is, I just read the entire thing again, nothing about turbo. 184 hp doesn't sound bad though.

https://www.stewhansens.com/inventory/used-2016-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-awd-4d-sport-utility-jm3ke4dy5g0659405

Not great in a vehicle that size. Not terrible either though.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 12:39 PM
Thank you to all who gave input on this.

We went and picked it up yesterday, and it ended up being what we expected from our research. I had to drive home separately since we didn't do a trade in, but she did agree the cruise control was amazing. Seems like a very nice solid little ride.

However, after we left the dealership we stopped to eat before we drove home, and I noticed when we were leaving the restaurant that one of the LED strips was flickering. Was a little bummed I didn't catch it, but I didn't check the lighting at the dealer. Everything I've heard is that LEDs are pretty reliable and not problematic, and nothing came up when I was researching it. So I just hoped it was something minor that I could easily fix. Anyway, I googled it when I got home, and the only thing I found was a thread on a Mazda forum about them. And apparently, it's a somewhat common thing with this particular model. And they were talking about the only way to fix it was replace the entire assembly...at $1200 a pop. Just for the part. And the front bumper has to come off to do it.

Needless to say, that was a buzzkill. I did notice it was a fairly old thread, but it was 18 pages long and I didn't want to read through it all. But after searching around it appears there are now aftermarket replacements available for $400/pair, so I'll probably buck up and do that at some point. Not the end of the world by any means, but disappointing because I assume the dealership noticed at some point and didn't want to bother fixing it. But it's possible they didn't, and doesn't matter now, we own it. Hopefully it's the only problem we have to deal with for a while.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40427396_2308924835787756_7859314621490921472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=296bd7897beb64b7af020560a31ae710&oe=5BF8F1BB

The Franchise
08-31-2018, 12:42 PM

We went and picked it up yesterday, and it ended up being what we expected from our research. I had to drive home separately since we didn't do a trade in, but she did agree the cruise control was amazing. Seems like a very nice solid little ride.

However, after we left the dealership we stopped to eat before we drove home, and I noticed when we were leaving the restaurant that one of the LED strips was flickering. Was a little bummed I didn't catch it, but I didn't check the lighting at the dealer. Everything I've heard is that LEDs are pretty reliable and not problematic, and nothing came up when I was researching it. So I just hoped it was something minor that I could easily fix. Anyway, I googled it when I got home, and the only thing I found was a thread on a Mazda forum about them. And apparently, it's a somewhat common thing with this particular model. And they were talking about the only way to fix it was replace the entire assembly...at $1200 a pop. Just for the part. And the front bumper has to come off to do it.

Needless to say, that was a buzzkill. I did notice it was a fairly old thread, but it was 18 pages long and I didn't want to read through it all. But after searching around it appears there are now aftermarket replacements available for $400/pair, so I'll probably buck up and do that at some point. Not the end of the world by any means, but disappointing because I assume the dealership noticed at some point and didn't want to bother fixing it. But it's possible they didn't, and doesn't matter now, we own it. Hopefully it's the only problem we have to deal with for a while.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40427396_2308924835787756_7859314621490921472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=296bd7897beb64b7af020560a31ae710&oe=5BF8F1BB
You can't take it back and have them fix it? It should have a minimal warranty for that shit at least.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 12:47 PM
You can't take it back and have them fix it? It should have a minimal warranty for that shit at least.
Meh...possibly. But we bought it in Des Moines. And that's why I hate going out of state to buy something. Probably not worth the hassle.

Kiimo
08-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Really really wanted a CX-5. Then I test drove one.

It handles like a dream. But it does that thing where you let off the gas and it brakes. It feels like the emergency brake is on all the time.

This is a dealbreaker for me in any car. Absolutely not. Fair warning.

Buns
08-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Nice, dude!

http://i.imgur.com/qMQmK2f.jpg

I just leased the Bunsmobile last week. Hope the LEDs work out, that sounds like it could suck. Loving the ride though! ZOOM ZOOM

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Really really wanted a CX-5. Then I test drove one.

It handles like a dream. But it does that thing where you let off the gas and it brakes. It feels like the emergency brake is on all the time.

This is a dealbreaker for me in any car. Absolutely not. Fair warning.
Huh, wasn't aware of that. I haven't even driven it yet. It was her car, her deal, she either didn't notice or it didn't bother her. As long as she's happy it's all good.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Nice, dude!

I just leased the Bunsmobile last week. Hope the LEDs work out, that sounds like it could suck. Loving the ride though! ZOOM ZOOM
The LEDs are basically a gimmick. They're cool and all, but don't really serve any function. If it's the only problem we end up having with it, I'll still call it a win. Seems like anytime you buy something used there's always something you end up disappointed with.

Kiimo
08-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Huh, wasn't aware of that. I haven't even driven it yet. It was her car, her deal, she either didn't notice or it didn't bother her. As long as she's happy it's all good.

If it doesn't bother her don't tell her. I think it's supposed to help with fuel consumption or something?

I like to cooooaaassssttt when I take my foot off the gas. I can't handle that drag that a lot of new cars have. My Maxima does not.

Buns
08-31-2018, 01:31 PM
That crazy cruise control does use the brakes. Any of that auto brake/lane assist/auto whatever can be turned off. Also, there is a normal cruise control too, just hold down the cruise control ON button.

Kiimo
08-31-2018, 01:41 PM
I'm not talking about cruise control I'm talking about coasting.

Buehler445
08-31-2018, 01:52 PM

For $1200, I'd be making the trip back.

BryanBusby
08-31-2018, 02:10 PM

Talk to the dealership about it. They may not have known simply and they'll want to make it right somehow if they aren't a scummy one. Costs nothing to ask.

Rain Man
08-31-2018, 02:29 PM
It seems like that would clearly be a warranty issue, bugeater. No?

SAUTO
08-31-2018, 02:54 PM

I would think so. If that's the case any Mazda dealer should be able top fix it under warranty.

SAUTO
08-31-2018, 02:55 PM
How many miles does it have?

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
For $1200, I'd be making the trip back.

I can get a new aftermarket pair for 400.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 03:13 PM
it's not new, it's a 2016
How many miles does it have?
with 44,000 miles

Simply Red
08-31-2018, 03:26 PM

with 44,000 miles

What was wrong with her car? That thing was super nice. Lay down the law son!

Simply Red
08-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Oh and I do like the new one

Rain Man
08-31-2018, 03:28 PM

with 44,000 miles

Oh.

Well, it looks new, so you've got that going for you.

SAUTO
08-31-2018, 04:05 PM

with 44,000 miles

Damn , 36k ended the bumper to bumper

HemiEd
08-31-2018, 04:32 PM

Happy wife, Happy life!

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 06:09 PM
What was wrong with her car? That thing was super nice. Lay down the law son!
Nothing really, she wanted something AWD. And she's had it for almost 5 years and got that itch...

I had a blast driving it back from Des Moines, it was a rare time that I was able to drive it without her in it with me...so I could drive it the way I wanted to. :D

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Damn , 36k ended the bumper to bumper
Fucking figures. She said she thought there was some type of warranty on it still...probably powertrain.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 06:12 PM
Happy wife, Happy life!
She's had a rough year so yeah, worth every penny. She barely even cares about the LED.

Eureka
08-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Some brands used to be 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty. Call the dealership and check using the vin number. Heck the LED could’ve already been replaced and has warranty.

lewdog
08-31-2018, 06:54 PM
If it’s certified used, we had full year bumper to bumper warranty.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 07:37 PM
If it’s certified used, we had full year bumper to bumper warranty.
Probably not since we bought it from Chrysler dealership. This is all Lee Iacocca's fault!

GloryDayz
08-31-2018, 09:12 PM
The trend today is toward just having a screen and really clean lines, and I hate that. I want an interior that's looks like the cockpit of a space shuttle. I want toggles and dials and lighted push buttons and switches, none of which are clearly labeled. And I'm not joking at all. I love the look of a complex cockpit.

I want this in my car:

https://www.featurepics.com/StockImage/20070730/fighter-cockpit-stock-photo-396041.jpg

As dash lights are starting to go out on the dash of my 02 Silverado, the not clearly labeled things is getting more intense...

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 09:57 PM
The cruise control in my wife's car may as well not been labeled when I was driving home last night. It's on some oddly placed lever down below the turn signal stalk. Only thing I could figure out how to do was turn it on (thanks to the indicator light on the instrument panel) and set it. So every time I slowed down had to turn it off, then back on, and set it again. I think it should be a law that every damn car have the same controls in the same places.

Bugeater
08-31-2018, 10:05 PM
There, that son of a bitch right there! Who puts the cruise control there? Well I'll fucking tell you....goddamn Toyota does.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/fnsiv4.jpg

lewdog
09-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the club! Here's our CX-9 that we've had for a year now and even I love it. We have a specialty order paint on ours that's called Snowflake Pearl. It's absolutely gorgeous in the sun for a car that's "white." Can't tell if you have that as well? Either way, nice ride Mrs. Bugeater!

https://i.imgur.com/HvpdSy1.jpg

09-02-2018, 01:26 PM
There, that son of a bitch right there! Who puts the cruise control there? Well I'll fucking tell you....goddamn Toyota does.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/fnsiv4.jpgThat's where it is on my corolla as well.

Bugeater
09-04-2018, 01:24 AM
We drove the new rig to Cheyenne and back over the weekend and...uhhh...yeah, this car is an old person's nightmare. Sooo much shit to figure out on it. I've never consulted an owner's manual that many times in my life. I was about to rip the entire infotainment center out and toss it aside on I-80 out of frustration from trying to get our phones set up with the Bluetooth. Eventually figured out you are limited in what you can do with it while the vehicle is in motion. Hey assholes, sometimes there are passengers that would like to do these things to kill time on long trips.

The navigation is overly complicated and useless. Apparently you have to enter a specific address to use it. I'd rather use my Google driving app, on it you can just punch in the name of a restaurant or whatever and hit "directions". Or just drop a pin on the map and it will take you there.

Also didn't care for the seats. They were too hard for my bony ass (this was easily rectified with a pillow) and the passenger seat didn't have much as far as adjustments. Plenty of legroom and headroom for me and I didn't ever feel cramped in it though.

On the positive side, the audio system is amazing once you get it figured out. i like how it can easily switch from playing music on your phone to a different phone or USB drive or radio or whatever. Also love the controls for it on the console.

Overall it was a nice, smooth, enjoyable ride. We also visited Scottsbluff National Monument along the way. Here's a video of the drive up, and the amazing views from the top. Yes...this is in Nebraska...I know it's hard to believe.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AunGt-fawkQ" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Bugeater
09-04-2018, 01:26 AM
Oh, and yes, ours is the Snowflake Pearl as well lewdog. Her Solara was a similar color and she was dead set on it and the wheels it has. That's why we ended up driving to Des Moines for it.

Bugeater
09-04-2018, 02:07 AM
.<iframe width="1013" height="570" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DoC-et4zh6U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 03:08 PM
OK fellow CX-5 owners...any of you know what in the blue hell these levers in the hatch area are for?. Can't find anything in the Owners Bible... I am mystified...

https://i.imgur.com/7In1og7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h9GmyW4.jpg

siberian khatru
04-04-2021, 03:17 PM
OK fellow CX-5 owners...any of you know what in the blue hell these levers in the hatch area are for?. Can't find anything in the Owners Bible... I am mystified...

https://i.imgur.com/7In1og7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h9GmyW4.jpg

Does that fold down the rear seats?

cdcox
04-04-2021, 03:26 PM
I'd guess cargo net tiedowns.

Spott
04-04-2021, 03:35 PM

Looks like it does. About 4:45 into this video it shows the latch being used to fold down the back seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCyD18T-Aw

cdcox
Well, I found out they are connected to cables that run to the back seat. I don't know if you use this to lay the seat down or if the back seat is removable.

http://www.mcx5.org/remote_handle_lever_removal_installation-783.html

BryanBusby

Yep

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Well that's strange because there's a button on top of the seats for that. And why is there two on the one side and only one of the other?

Edit: The extra one must be for the center seat panel.

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Well, I found out they are connected to cables that run to the back seat. I don't know if you use this to lay the seat down or if the back seat is removable.

http://www.mcx5.org/remote_handle_lever_removal_installation-783.htmlGuess I need to go experiment lol. Really odd that isn't covered in the owner's manual.

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 03:52 PM
Ok, they are a seat release, the reason I couldn't figure it out was because the seats were already down when I tried them. LMAO

MYSTERY SOLVED

lewdog
04-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Ok, they are a seat release, the reason I couldn't figure it out was because the seats were already down when I tried them. LMAO

MYSTERY SOLVED

HOLY SHIT NooB!!!

ROFL

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Hey...HEY...HEY...it's the wife's goddamn car, and she couldn't figure it out either.

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 04:21 PM
It's also why I drive a 19 year old Jeep, it doesn't have any of that fancy shmancy crap to confuse us old people.

04-04-2021, 04:21 PM

MYSTERY SOLVED

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l2JhOVyjSHGejoXXq/giphy.gif

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 04:22 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l2JhOVyjSHGejoXXq/giphy.gifSomeone already beat you to that...

04-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Someone already beat you to that...

There was no reason to continue reading after that

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 04:27 PM
There was no reason to continue reading after thatI think the fact that the seats were already down when I tried them exempts me from being a dumbass.

siberian khatru
04-04-2021, 04:40 PM

MYSTERY SOLVED

We have a Honda CR-V and it has a similar handle in the same spot that releases the seats.

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 08:01 PM
We have a Honda CR-V and it has a similar handle in the same spot that releases the seats.It just never even crossed my mind since there's the buttons on the tops of the seats, but I suppose it is a handy feature if you're loading stuff up in the back and suddenly realize you need more room. That car has so many bells and whistles that the bells and whistles have their own bells and whistles.

eDave
04-04-2021, 08:14 PM
As an IT guy, it's always something stupid. I've spent countless hours over my lifetime looking for sunglasses that were on the top of my head.

Bugeater
04-04-2021, 08:51 PM
As an IT guy, it's always something stupid. I've spent countless hours over my lifetime looking for sunglasses that were on the top of my head.When I was going to school for HVAC I had an old crusty Polish instructor that always emphasized "Luk fer da zimple ting".

HemiEd
04-05-2021, 05:16 AM
It just never even crossed my mind since there's the buttons on the tops of the seats, but I suppose it is a handy feature if you're loading stuff up in the back and suddenly realize you need more room. That car has so many bells and whistles that the bells and whistles have their own bells and whistles.

Are the buttons on top of the seats electric?

Bugeater
04-05-2021, 05:26 AM
Are the buttons on top of the seats electric?No, they function exactly the same as the levers.

burt
04-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Iit is a handy feature if you're loading stuff up in the back and suddenly realize you need more room.

Ed Zachery.........

Bugeater
03-27-2022, 12:05 AM
Great car, never gave us any problems at all. My only complaint was how rough it rode...and apparently this is what happens when I complain too loudly about it...a Lexus NX200t. Holy shitballs this is one amazing vehicle, and the seats are a gift from God.

https://i.imgur.com/mCsTkfI.jpg

BryanBusby
03-27-2022, 09:03 AM
Really? Outside of the cabin noise being a bit high compared to my Acura, the ride is perfectly fine. :shrug:

Bugeater
03-27-2022, 10:51 AM
Really? Outside of the cabin noise being a bit high compared to my Acura, the ride is perfectly fine. :shrug:It was fine on the highway, but the shitty Omaha streets were like torture. Is yours the Grand Touring with the 19" wheels? Maybe it had a stiffer suspension?

BryanBusby
03-27-2022, 10:53 AM
It was fine on the highway, but the shitty Omaha streets were like torture. Is yours the Grand Touring with the 19" wheels? Maybe it had a stiffer suspension?
Nope. I had the Touring with the standard sized wheels.

Bugeater
03-27-2022, 11:01 AM
That's very likely the difference. And she bought the thing because of those fucking wheels. LMAO