PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Steelers’ Bell still holding out

Dante84
09-03-2018, 10:15 AM
We play them Week 2. Sounds like if he reports, it will be riiiiight before week 1.

Last year he reported on Labor Day, and had only 32 yards on 10 carries in week 1. Let’s hope he continues to hold out for what he deserves!

And if he doesn’t, hopefully he is rusty come week 2.

Iowanian
09-03-2018, 10:27 AM
So tired of high profile hold out temper tantrums. Hope he snaps his feet off on a Roller coaster.

scho63
09-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Let's hope he sits out until week 3

ROYC75
09-03-2018, 10:33 AM
1st play from scrimmage he gets a season long turf toe issue that hampers his season to only 400 yards ( of which all comes after they play us ).

wazu
09-03-2018, 10:38 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/03/leveon-bell-has-yet-to-report-as-steelers-running-back-continues-holdout-on-labor-day/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3d98718a7eb7

"A continued holdout remains an option for Bell. Under the collective bargaining agreement, he can wait until November to sign the tender and still accrue a season of service, opening the door to free agency and the open market during the 2019 offseason. ESPN’s Adam Schefter said earlier this year that such a holdout could be on the table."

Sofa King
09-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Good, be nice to beat the Steelers for a change.

MTG#10
09-03-2018, 10:42 AM
1st play from scrimmage he gets a season long turf toe issue that hampers his season to only 400 yards ( of which all comes the game they play us ).

FYP

Simply Red
09-03-2018, 10:45 AM
So tired of high profile hold out temper tantrums. Hope he snaps his feet off on a Roller coaster.

Ouch!

Eleazar
09-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Good, be nice to beat the Steelers for a change.

Like their backup RBs couldn’t shred our _efense

Unsmooth-Moment
09-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Does it matter if Bell or Brown get 200 yards? It’ll be one of the other. Hopefully not both!

Dante84
09-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Does it matter if Bell or Brown get 200 yards? It’ll be one of the other. Hopefully not both!

Well, if one is out then we get to focus on the other.

staylor26
09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
He’ll probably report on Wednesday

Coogs
09-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I'd rather beat them full strength. No excuses.

prhom
09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
If I’m Bell, I wouldn’t want to miss playing against KC. It’s an easy way to pad stats and look great for my next contract.

Rain Man
09-03-2018, 11:48 AM
I don't mind if he never plays again. Steelers players are consistently annoying.

Coochie liquor
09-03-2018, 11:52 AM
We play them Week 2. Sounds like if he reports, it will be riiiiight before week 1.

Last year he reported on Labor Day, and had only 32 yards on 10 carries in week 1. Let’s hope he continues to hold out for what he deserves!

And if he doesn’t, hopefully he is rusty come week 2.

Doesn’t matter, their O line is dominant and are pretty much allowed to hold. All we can do is hope to win a shootout, and baptize the demons! Hoping Showtime rolls into their house and puts on a show!!

Best22
09-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Hopefully our run D is better

Mecca
09-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Does anyone other than Bell and his agent think he's worth what he's asking for?

He basically thinks he should make QB money as an RB, when he has had 2 knee surgeries and is 1 fuck up away from a year suspension.

He's made 30 million dollars for 2 years, no one feels bad for you, most RB's don't sniff that. If he were smart and really concerned about his long term future, he'd sit till week 8 and come in out of shape to basically only play in like 4 games..

Why? Cause if he plays all year the Steelers are going to grind him into the ground, Larry Johnson/DeMarco Murray style, knowing he isn't coming back. He already showed decline from the previous year to last year...so he probably shows a bit more now and with that his career goes into shit I'm done mode.

If he were to sit most of the year and let his body heal he might be able to get a stupid team like the Raiders to pay him.

He'd also get his clock cleaned without a top of the league Oline and that running style he has.

FAX
09-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Honestly, the worst part is that poor little girl waiting in line for the Roller Coaster who is struck in the head by Bell's disarticulated feet.

FAX

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-03-2018, 12:11 PM
My hope is he plays us and our run Defense is so awesome we hold him to 3 yards on 18 carries while sacking Rothelboogers 9 times

mcaj22
09-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Why? It got two defensive players huge contracts. lol

Bowser
09-03-2018, 12:22 PM
This is nothing more than Bell not wanting to risk hurting himself during preseason while he's asking for a huge contract. They open against the Browns, so he (and the Steelers, likely) probably thinks they'll get a W against them in the opener with or without him, so he'll gear up for the game against us. And why wouldn't he, seeing as how he shreds us every time we play them. Hopefully that line of thinking backfires on Bell and the Steelers, and he pops a hammy early in the game. Karmic payback for skipping preseason and wanting more money than a RB should be paid.

Mecca
09-03-2018, 12:25 PM
This is nothing more than Bell not wanting to risk hurting himself during preseason while he's asking for a huge contract. They open against the Browns, so he (and the Steelers, likely) probably thinks they'll get a W against them in the opener with or without him, so he'll gear up for the game against us. And why wouldn't he, seeing as how he shreds us every time we play them. Hopefully that line of thinking backfires on Bell and the Steelers, and he pops a hammy early in the game. Karmic payback for skipping preseason and wanting more money than a RB should be paid.

Like I said, if he's really concerned about his long term future he'd sit as long as he can because they are going to abuse him every game.

Bowser
09-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Like I said, if he's really concerned about his long term future he'd sit as long as he can because they are going to abuse him every game.

Give him the 2006 Larry Johnson treatment. He'll never be the same afterwards.

BigRedChief
09-03-2018, 12:32 PM
I got him on my fantasy team. He needs to get off his ass.

rushman
09-03-2018, 12:34 PM
He's going to cost himself a lot of money, because the Steelers are not going to budge. Will he be able to make it up next year with a new contract from someone else? Doubt it.

Dante84
09-03-2018, 12:34 PM
I got him on my fantasy team. He needs to get off his ass.

He can do that week 3.

Bwana
09-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Excellent! :old:

Rasputin
09-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't mind if he never plays again. Steelers players are consistently annoying.

So are the fans.

TLO
09-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Fuck the Steelers

Skyy God
09-03-2018, 01:21 PM

He’s just trying to get Gurley money and set himself up for life.

Exact opposite of a temper tantrum.

Skyy God
09-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Does anyone other than Bell and his agent think he's worth what he's asking for?

He basically thinks he should make QB money as an RB, when he has had 2 knee surgeries and is 1 **** up away from a year suspension.

He's made 30 million dollars for 2 years, no one feels bad for you, most RB's don't sniff that. If he were smart and really concerned about his long term future, he'd sit till week 8 and come in out of shape to basically only play in like 4 games..

Why? Cause if he plays all year the Steelers are going to grind him into the ground, Larry Johnson/DeMarco Murray style, knowing he isn't coming back. He already showed decline from the previous year to last year...so he probably shows a bit more now and with that his career goes into shit I'm done mode.

If he were to sit most of the year and let his body heal he might be able to get a stupid team like the Raiders to pay him.

He'd also get his clock cleaned without a top of the league Oline and that running style he has.

Or, RB has been severely devalued and now is the 3rd lowest paid position (ahead of P and K). Modern RBs are basically hybrid runners/receivers and want to get paid more like the latter. More receiving and less running is also likely to extend careers.

Gurley’s contract proved Bell right to hold out. Pitt was offering shit guaranteed money above his tag amount.

Also, QBs make $25M+. Quit exaggerating.

Rain Man
09-03-2018, 01:42 PM
So are the fans.

While we're on the topic, I saw some old clip of Art Rooney where he looked like the picture below with his pupil-less Orphan Annie eyes, and he was referring in old-man halting speech to Terry Bradshaw as "the blonde bomber". It was just about the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQomMlyTvP8O51c649Dt98aNOzk2G7zj8dv3FC5T9lE3RB-HUc67Q

notorious
09-03-2018, 01:43 PM

I don't blame him for holding out, and the best thing to happen for him is what happened to the Dallas Cowboys when Emmitt Smith held out in the 90's.

They lost the first few games and it forced Jone's hand. Paid Emmitt and the Cowboys went on to win another SuperBowl.

Chiefshrink
09-03-2018, 02:03 PM

With this defense ??? It will be both.:shrug:

Hoopsdoc
09-03-2018, 02:07 PM
I don't blame him for holding out, and the best thing to happen for him is what happened to the Dallas Cowboys when Emmitt Smith held out in the 90's.

They lost the first few games and it forced Jone's hand. Paid Emmitt and the Cowboys went on to win another SuperBowl.

Especially at running back. Those guys get the shit kicked out of them every game.

Get as much as you can while still healthy enough to get it.

Chiefshrink
09-03-2018, 02:10 PM
He's going to cost himself a lot of money, because the Steelers are not going to budge. Will he be able to make it up next year with a new contract from someone else? Doubt it.

Dadgum right they are not budging especially when the Browns and Chiefs are their first two games. Connor is more than talented enough to shred our defense and all their defensive front has to do is just say "boo" to our o-linemen and they will cower. Even without Shazier. Pitt has our number and we are playing in Heinz.:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
09-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Those guys get the shit kicked out of them every game.

And our RBs more than most sad to say.:shake:

Buehler445
09-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Fuck all involved

Mecca
09-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Or, RB has been severely devalued and now is the 3rd lowest paid position (ahead of P and K). Modern RBs are basically hybrid runners/receivers and want to get paid more like the latter. More receiving and less running is also likely to extend careers.

Gurley’s contract proved Bell right to hold out. Pitt was offering shit guaranteed money above his tag amount.

Also, QBs make $25M+. Quit exaggerating.

What Pitt offered would have made him the highest paid RB for a guy that is 1 strike from a year suspension and is a bit of a diva that really isn't unfair.

Easy 6
09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
**** all involved

Yup

**** him

**** them

****' em all

Nickhead
09-03-2018, 03:46 PM
i hope he breaks both ACL's putting his socks on on gameday :D

JakeF
09-03-2018, 04:28 PM
You know he will show up against the Chiefs. Never fails.

Luke Atamadong
09-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Honestly, the worst part is that poor little girl waiting in line for the Roller Coaster who is struck in the head by Bell's disarticulated feet.

FAX

Could you put this in the six flags "de-feeted" thread where it belongs?

Red Dawg
09-03-2018, 07:26 PM
They should trade Bell. They won't miss a step with Connor, that kid isn't bad at all.

MotherfuckerJones
09-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Bell will likely shred KC, however, he will be rusty and need to work back in some of that chemistry will their OL. It happened last year.

KChiefs1
09-03-2018, 08:01 PM
You know he will show up against the Chiefs. Never fails.

Yep

petegz28
09-03-2018, 08:41 PM
He will hold out and still run all over Bob Sutton's defense

PunkinDrublic
09-03-2018, 08:42 PM
That’s strange it’s usually his offensive line that does the holding for him.

ping2000
09-04-2018, 08:18 AM
He will hold out and still run all over Bob Sutton's defenseThe cotton candy vendor from the stands could run through our defense. And fuck you Bob Sutton.

O.city
09-04-2018, 08:38 AM
Theres been some talk on twitter about this subject and I've been waiting to see how it plays out, but specifically, does running the ball, even successfully, really impact winning and losing?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I’m working and updating my model for this season, I stumbled upon something that I didn’t realize before:<br><br>Running the ball is actually detrimental to Expected Points Added. <br><br>Another way: Running is takes away from a team’s ability to score.</p>&mdash; NFL Philosophy (@NFLosophy) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLosophy/status/1035659848992665602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 31, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's a good breakdown of it, if you wanna read thru the thread.

RippedmyFlesh
09-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Nice find O. The leading rusher hasn't been on a sb winner in 20 years. Here's hoping hunt finishes second this year.

rushman
09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
I don't think he will report at all. He will call the Steelers bluff, and they will both lose. Connor can pick up the slack for Steelers, but obviously cannot replace Bell.

bowener
09-04-2018, 01:35 PM

You are correct. RBs need to get paid as much and as soon as possible. Bell fucking deserves it too. I will never understand why people get mad at the employees trying to get their best paycheck. We all do the same fucking thing...

KChiefs1
09-05-2018, 08:52 AM
Still hasn’t reported?

wazu
09-05-2018, 09:04 AM
He’ll report Saturday so they have to pay him but he’ll be thinking they won’t play him Week 1. Would laugh to see the Steelers give him 35+ touches anyway.

O.city
09-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Why wouldn't you just trade him at this point? You know some dumb team would throw you some picks.

jjchieffan
09-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Yep. If he reports, you either give him 35+ touches every game and run his ass in the ground or make him inactive and show him that they don't need him. The way that the Steelers line is allowed to hold, I'm sure that his backup could get just as many yards as Bell does

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Bell would be smart to sit the whole season. Be free next year and hope he gets what he wants at 28. He might if he misses a year but getting beat up for another year risking injury is not going to help him at 28 years old.

Chiefnj2
09-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Theres been some talk on twitter about this subject and I've been waiting to see how it plays out, but specifically, does running the ball, even successfully, really impact winning and losing?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I’m working and updating my model for this season, I stumbled upon something that I didn’t realize before:<br><br>Running the ball is actually detrimental to Expected Points Added. <br><br>Another way: Running is takes away from a team’s ability to score.</p>&mdash; NFL Philosophy (@NFLosophy) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLosophy/status/1035659848992665602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 31, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only read the tweet and I find it hard to believe. 9 of the 10 top rushing teams in the NFL last year made the playoffs.

O.city
09-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Only read the tweet and I find it hard to believe. 9 of the 10 top rushing teams in the NFL last year made the playoffs.

Couple theories I've wondered on that.

They have a lot of leads so they run the ball a lot salting away wins and they actually threw it a lot to get leads.

I do think running the ball successfully can shorten games and allow you to hide other issues, but as he shows here, it doesn't lead to more points.

Discuss Thrower
09-05-2018, 09:40 AM

The inverse relationship between number of running plays and the amount of time expended with a running game clock.

O.city
09-05-2018, 09:41 AM
The inverse relationship between number of running plays and the amount of time expended with a running game clock.

So as you run it more, the close goes down, essentially shortening the game or the amount of time the other team can score?

Discuss Thrower
09-05-2018, 10:04 AM
So as you run it more, the close goes down, essentially shortening the game or the amount of time the other team can score?

More time expended in a game -> fewer total opportunities for ball movement in said game -> fewer opportunities for total scoring in the game.

Running the ball will generally mean more time is expended because the alternative method to move the ball has the side effect of stopping the game clock through either an incomplete pass, interception or with a completed pass carried out of bounds.

Hydrae
09-05-2018, 10:07 AM
More time expended in a game -> fewer total opportunities for ball movement in said game -> fewer opportunities for total scoring in the game.

Running the ball will generally mean more time is expended because the alternative method to move the ball has the side effect of stopping the game clock through either an incomplete pass, interception or with a completed pass carried out of bounds.

Good point. A lot of variables involved here.

Discuss Thrower
09-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Good point. A lot of variables involved here.

Granted, a run can *also* stop the clock with a fumble or ball carried out of bounds but I'd guess not to the same ratio of times as a pass attempt either ends in a turnover or incomplete + catch out of bounds.

ChiliConCarnage
09-05-2018, 10:14 AM
This thread is evolving into herm-ball. We're just missing a reference to saving your dline from getting gassed by controlling the ball.

O.city
09-05-2018, 11:01 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Based off what Le&#39;Veon Bell&#39;s agent just said, it sounds entirely possible we don&#39;t see him until midseason. Wow. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a></p>&mdash; Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) <a href="https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1037365714640936961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

kysirsoze
09-05-2018, 11:06 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Based off what Le&#39;Veon Bell&#39;s agent just said, it sounds entirely possible we don&#39;t see him until midseason. Wow. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a></p>&mdash; Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) <a href="https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1037365714640936961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

NicholsonNod.gif

WhiteWhale
09-05-2018, 11:08 AM

When I see stuff like this, it makes me wonder if these nerds watch football at all. They're the type who would do something pointless like "Let's see what happens when you pass every play vs. running every play! Look! Passing scores more!"

Throw to score, run to win. If you can score by throwing, you don't need to run the ball until late in the game. The running back is your closer, and being able to close games out running the ball is pretty important to winning games.

Just look at KC's playoff loss last year. Too many incomplete passes, stopping the clock, making the comeback more likely. I don't think anyone would argue KC wins that game handily if they just effectively run the ball in the 2nd half.

O.city
09-05-2018, 11:10 AM
When I see stuff like this, it makes me wonder if these nerds watch football at all. They're the type who would do something pointless like "Let's see what happens when you pass every play vs. running every play! Look! Passing scores more!"

Throw to score, run to win. If you can score by throwing, you don't need to run the ball until late in the game. The running back is your closer, and being able to close games out running the ball is pretty important to winning games.

Well, that guy worked for the Bucs for a while IIRC, he's pretty knowledgeable.

He basically has the same strategy to it you do in the second paragraph, from what I've read.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Lulz Good. He's overrated as fuck due to how they allow the Squeeler line to get away with murder

Discuss Thrower
09-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Just look at KC's playoff loss last year. Too many incomplete passes, stopping the clock, making the comeback more likely. I don't think anyone would argue KC wins that game handily if they just effectively run the ball in the 2nd half.

Take Team A and Team B.

Team A is so run heavy even Lombardi himself thinks the constant sweep plays are tiresome. Team B is a run and shoot with receivers who have Rice-like hands and a very annoying capability to perfectly screen defenders on rub routes and picks in the intermediate passing zone.

Now they both precisely have a 70% rate of positive yards per play and both net out to scoring a TDs on exactly 60% of their possessions.

Between Teams A and B, who'd you rather be reliant upon when needing to go 75 yards with two minutes or fewer remaining in regulation?

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Wow. Can't blame him. At 27 he's a long shot to get the deal he wants. At 28 and beat up from another 400 touch season he definitely would not get what he wants. He shouldn't anyway. He's a running back. They grow on trees in college and Connor is about to make Bell expendable.

Dante84
09-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Technically he can wait until November before reporting and they are still on the hook for the full season

UNLESS

They pull the tag, making him a free agent, able to negotiate with any team in the league.

OR UNLESS

They agree to a new deal. Sounds like they are super far apart on this.

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Or have a QB that scores points. We have one now.

Shoes
09-05-2018, 01:52 PM

NicholsonNod.gif

Got you homie

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="6ADLV4r"><a href="//imgur.com/6ADLV4r">GIF Remake - Jack Nicholson Creepy Nod</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O.city
09-05-2018, 02:06 PM
The way the Steelers OL is going after Bell right now, holy shit.

Pitt may be a big regress this year.

O.city
09-05-2018, 02:07 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Steelers teammates not happy with Le’Veon Bell no show, led by vet G Ramon Foster, their player rep:<br>“What do you do? here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, I guess so we’ll treatit as such. I just hate it came to this. “</p>&mdash; Ed Bouchette (@EdBouchette) <a href="https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/1037428010444619776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

DJ's left nut
09-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Steelers play KC in week 2.

They play the Broncos, Chargers and Raiders in weeks 11, 12 and 13.

I agree, LeVeon - you need to protect your market value, man.

Stinger
09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Pulling no punches

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Maurkice Pouncey also issued this reminder: &quot;A star is born every year in the NFL. Did anyone know Kareem Hunt would be an All-Pro before last season? If James Conner didn&#39;t have cancer, he&#39;d have been a first round pick. Just watch him.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a></p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1037433904863604740?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Maurkice Pouncey is clearly DONE w/ Le’Veon Bell’s absence. Says he’d much prefer Bell just say when he’s going to show up, even if it’s Week 10: “Why play hide and seek? Why let your agent say this? Just man up and tell us what you’re going to do.”</p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1037430246138621952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a> DE Cam Heyward, also a team captain, said this: &quot;Either you get on the bus or not.&quot; And if Le&#39;Veon Bell doesn&#39;t appear to want on that bus just yet? &quot;That&#39;s his loss. We&#39;re trying to get wins.&quot;</p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1037435484610457602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>

O.city
09-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Steelers play KC in week 2.

They play the Broncos, Chargers and Raiders in weeks 11, 12 and 13.

I agree, LeVeon - you need to protect your market value, man.

Yeah, I don't know how he plays week 2 at this point.

Thankfully the Chiefs are well geared to stop the pass and didn't spend all offseason resources on stopping the ru………………………….fuck.

O.city
09-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Pittsburgh has royally fucked this up. Why hold on to the guy like this?

Should have traded him around draft time.

The Franchise
09-05-2018, 02:56 PM

This.

DJ's left nut
09-05-2018, 03:02 PM

I don't think so. Because I don't think there's anyone else out there that wants to give him what he wants. Nobody would've traded for him because they'd have the same headache on their hands after they ALSO didn't want to pay him twice what the 2nd highest paid RB is making.

They probably should've just yanked the tag immediately after the draft and told him to go test the market to see what he could get. If he's so offended by the tag and certain that the market out there for RBs is as good as he's certain it is, he'd have no hard feelings.

They should've let him test the market and then if the market ended up being what they believed it would be, they could stay in the bidding and get the long-term deal done.

That was what I wanted the Chiefs to do with Berry. I thought they should've gone to the draft and FA and if things went even remotely well, they yank the tag, let the market play out and if Berry stayed at a reasonable price point they could extend him.

The precedent it sets would be iffy going forward, to be sure. But at this point the tag has become a hindrance for long-term deals as often as its helped. Once the acceleration provisions were put in for teams that utilize the tag on a player for multiple years, agents started using those figures as the starting point for a 3 year return and were demanding that as part of the long-term deal.

That simply doesn't help a team at all. The tag is largely outdated at this point and hurts as often as it helps.

O.city
09-05-2018, 03:04 PM
I don't think so. Because I don't think there's anyone else out there that wants to give him what he wants. Nobody would've traded for him because they'd have the same headache on their hands after they ALSO didn't want to pay him twice what the 2nd highest paid RB is making.

They probably should've just yanked the tag immediately after the draft and told him to go test the market to see what he could get. If he's so offended by the tag and certain that the market out there for RBs is as good as he's certain it is, he'd have no hard feelings.

They should've let him test the market and then if the market ended up being what they believed it would be, they could stay in the bidding and get the long-term deal done.

That was what I wanted the Chiefs to do with Berry. I thought they should've gone to the draft and FA and if things went even remotely well, they yank the tag, let the market play out and if Berry stayed at a reasonable price point they could extend him.

The precedent it sets would be iffy going forward, to be sure. But at this point the tag has become a hindrance for long-term deals as often as its helped. Once the acceleration provisions were put in for teams that utilize the tag on a player for multiple years, agents started using those figures as the starting point for a 3 year return and were demanding that as part of the long-term deal.

That simply doesn't help a team at all. The tag is largely outdated at this point and hurts as often as it helps.

Well, it helps you keep guys for a few years you don't want to keep longterm.

If it's a player you want to keep, just go ahead and overpay them a bit early and be done with it.

-King-
09-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Didn't the Jets want to sign him to a large contract?
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC
09-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Pittsburgh has royally ****ed this up. Why hold on to the guy like this?

They thought they were going to keep him. IIRC they upped their offer after the draft and Bell turned it down.

Good move by Bell bc Gurley set the market in August.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I don't know how he plays week 2 at this point.

Thankfully the Chiefs are well geared to stop the pass and didn't spend all offseason resources on stopping the ru………………………….****.

It'll come in handy if KC squares off with Pittsburgh, or any other strong running team in January...

But in the meantime, go ahead and take it easy for awhile LeVeon... :)

ChiliConCarnage
09-05-2018, 03:17 PM
They thought they were going to keep him. IIRC they upped their offer after the draft and Bell turned it down.

They did up their offer from a dollar amount but it had only had 10 million fully guaranteed. Less fully guaranteed than signing the tag and then hitting free agency.

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Gurley got 45 mil guranteed. Bell was tagged last year and turned down 30 mil guranteed this year from Pitts offer. Together that's basicly what Gurley got. If he thinks at 28 he getting more than that hes crazy.

MahiMike
09-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Steelers should wait till week 8 then rescind the offer.

hehehe.

Kiimo
They didn't offer Bell 30 guaranteed. At all. The language in that contract offer was garbage. He was right to turn it down.

O.city

Bell ain't getting what Gurley got.

Brooklyn
09-05-2018, 03:26 PM
they can't trade him because he hasn't signed the tag. there is nothing to trade at this point. he has no contract.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2018, 03:30 PM
They didn't offer Bell 30 guaranteed. At all. The language in that contract offer was garbage. He was right to turn it down.

ROFL

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Yes they did. 30 mil the first two years on a 5 year and the 14 from the tag.

Kiimo
09-05-2018, 03:34 PM
yeah I'm not sure what you're laughing at but if you understand anything in contracts beyond the headline you'd know that the Steelers offered him a junk contract.

That said he should take the franchise deal and play. Holding out now is dumb.

staylor26
09-05-2018, 03:35 PM
As a Bell and Conner owner, I hope Bell gets traded ASAP so it’ll turn one starting RB into two

Kiimo
09-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Read this

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

TwistedChief
09-05-2018, 03:56 PM
He’ll miss the Browns game, report the following Saturday night at 11:59pm, amass 318 total yards and 3 TDs against the Chiefs, and then call it quits for the rest of the season to protect his long-term value. And can you blame him?

Because Chiefs.

FAX
09-05-2018, 03:57 PM
He’ll miss the Browns game, report the following Saturday night at 11:59pm, amass 318 total yards and 3 TDs against the Chiefs, and then call it quits for the rest of the season to protect his long-term value. And can you blame him?

Because Chiefs.

If that happens ... I swear, I'll commit flatulicide.

FAX

Marcellus
09-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Bell would be smart to sit the whole season. Be free next year and hope he gets what he wants at 28. He might if he misses a year but getting beat up for another year risking injury is not going to help him at 28 years old.

Bell cant sit the season and be a FA, if he doesn't report and play at least 6 games its as if this season never occurred and the Steelers can still tag him and he is in the exact same scenario next season and is a year older.

Sassy Squatch
09-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Because Chiefs.
Nope. James Connor will become Jerome Harrison II, almost breaking the rushing record and scoring 4 touchdowns on us, only to never do anything else in his career.

Because Chiefs.

-King-
09-05-2018, 04:46 PM
The Steelers players talking shit on Bell have to be the dumbest players in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
09-05-2018, 04:52 PM
The Steelers players talking shit on Bell have to be the dumbest players in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clearly, a coordinated attack orchestrated by Tomlin.

He's deploying a reverse-favoritism strategy. It's just crazy enough to possibly work.

FAX

Dante84
09-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Things are looking great for week #2!

I've got a 2015 Royals vibe going.

Kiimo
09-05-2018, 04:55 PM
A player who beat cancer beating us while our player who beat cancer can't play and also in turn beats us would be the most Chiefs thing ever, it's true.

TambaBerry
09-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Gurley got 45 mil guranteed. Bell was tagged last year and turned down 30 mil guranteed this year from Pitts offer. Together that's basicly what Gurley got. If he thinks at 28 he getting more than that hes crazy.

um he is 26

ChiliConCarnage
09-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Yes they did. 30 mil the first two years on a 5 year and the 14 from the tag.

They were rolling guarantees so he had to be on the roster in March 2019 and '20. If he blew out his knee he was screwed and he had guaranteed money for this year from the tag contract.

Jerok
09-05-2018, 05:37 PM

2014! Most people think the Chargers are gonna crush us, we sneak in the playoffs and make the superbowl and lose and then win next year, I'll take that!

Dante84
09-05-2018, 05:53 PM
2014! Most people think the Chargers are gonna crush us, we sneak in the playoffs and make the superbowl and lose and then win next year, I'll take that!

ehhhh, I'll go ahead and take 2015, thanks

Chiefnj2
09-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Bell is in self preservation mode this year. The Steelers final offer was a joke for a player like Bell. It was essentially a one year deal worth 10 mil. They aren't committed to him, so why should he risk injury for them? Report week 10, get your accrued season and move on next year.

Red Dawg
09-05-2018, 06:21 PM
um he is 26

27 in Feb. Same difference. Old for an RB.

ROYC75
09-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Awh shit, they flexed us until mid season! :doh!:

Coogs
09-05-2018, 06:50 PM

I would still rather they be at full strength. This way is another one of those Keitzman's wet dream come true scenarios. Chiefs win... well Bell wasn't playing. Chiefs lose, and OMG... Bell wasn't even playing!!!

TLO
09-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Fuck the Steelers

Sassy Squatch
09-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Damn. His teammates are shitting all over him.

Kiimo
09-05-2018, 06:57 PM
I will sacrifice 3 of my fantasy seasons for a Chiefs victory week 2.

You're welcome.

I will sacrifice a fourth for Berry to come back but that's more voodoo.

Discuss Thrower
09-05-2018, 06:58 PM
I will sacrifice 3 of my fantasy seasons for a Chiefs victory week 2.

You're welcome.

I will sacrifice a fourth for Berry to come back but that's more voodoo.

Take a portrait photo of your face in monochrome and slap some text on it.

Why Not?
09-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Damn. His teammates are shitting all over him.

I'm not sure I've ever heard players crush a teammate like that especially over $$

Sassy Squatch
09-05-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure I've ever heard players crush a teammate like that especially over $$
Pouncey kind of insinuated it's more about him lying that he would be there week 1. That would probably piss me off a bit as well honestly.

Kiimo
09-05-2018, 07:06 PM
I mean...he gains nothing by sitting out.

Well, he preserves his health I suppose. I guess he heard the same fantasy rumors I did about the steelers running him into the ground.

DTVietnam
09-05-2018, 07:24 PM
he can technically hold out till week 10 credit for the year played and still get half his salary..and keep his body fresh

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-05-2018, 07:31 PM

Well, he preserves his health I suppose. I guess he heard the same fantasy rumors I did about the steelers running him into the ground.

Would be funny as hell if he comes back week 10 and Tomlin runs him EVERY snap the next 6 games and he gets like 480 rushes for 300 yards.

Marcellus
09-05-2018, 07:41 PM
he can technically hold out till week 10 credit for the year played and still get half his salary..and keep his body fresh

Dont think so. Pretty sure its prorated by game checks.

saphojunkie
09-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Dont think so. Pretty sure its prorated by game checks.

He has to report by week 11 in order to qualify as a free agent next year. He forfeits over $800k very week he misses.

-King-
09-05-2018, 08:17 PM

He also loses nothing by sitting out. And he doesn't have to risk a career ending/altering injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
09-05-2018, 08:25 PM
He also loses nothing by sitting out. And he doesn't have to risk a career ending/altering injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

$8-14MM dollars is nothing? Thats money he has to make up on his next contract to make it worth while.The Steelers aren't paying him huge and I doubt anyone else does either. The longer he holds out the less likely he even recoups the money.

This has been played out before and it almost never works.

Chiefshrink
09-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Bell has his agent in his ear convincing him he will pull an Emmitt Smith. Remember when ES held out the first 2 games and the Cowboys lost both of them ? Then Jones gave ES his $$.

KChiefs1
09-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Bell has his agent in his ear convincing him he will pull an Emmitt Smith. Remember when ES held out the first 2 games and the Cowboys lost both of them ? Then Jones gave ES his $$.

Hopefully that works out for him.

MotherfuckerJones
09-05-2018, 09:19 PM

He can’t be signed til the off-season now that the tag deadline is gone

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Reports are Bell will report this Saturday

RippedmyFlesh
09-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Of course so by the time they play us everything will be worked out for them. Did we expect anything else?

staylor26
09-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Link?

MahiMike
09-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Heard the same on NFL Network. Reporting Saturday. Just in time to get $.

ChiliConCarnage
09-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Link?

It's from Rapaport but he ends it with 'everyone is in the dark'.

Sassy Squatch
09-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Reads like Rapaport is just speculating.

Coogs
09-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Of course so by the time they play us everything will be worked out for them. Did we expect anything else?

Good! No damn excuses when we go into Pittsburgh and win!!!

SAUTO
09-06-2018, 07:26 PM
They agree to a new deal. Sounds like they are super far apart on this.

They can't at this point

RippedmyFlesh
09-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Good! No damn excuses when we go into Pittsburgh and win!!!

That would be epic. Get that gorilla off our back.

Mecca
09-07-2018, 05:27 AM
$8-14MM dollars is nothing? Thats money he has to make up on his next contract to make it worth while.The Steelers aren't paying him huge and I doubt anyone else does either. The longer he holds out the less likely he even recoups the money.

The Jets would pay him, it would be typical of them.

jjchieffan
09-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Bell lost leverage today. The Squealers ran the ball just fine without him.Conner was good for 135 yards at 4.4 yards per carry. Squealers just said piss off to Bell. LMAO

tmax63
09-09-2018, 05:59 PM
I agree, this will test how strong Bell's determination is. I hope he holds strong for at least another week.

jjchieffan
09-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Nah. Let him come back now. He'll be rusty and ineffective next week if he returns.

TLO
09-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Nah. Let him come back now. He'll be rusty and ineffective next week if he returns.

No. I don't want to deal with Bell.

Valiant
09-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Isnt this the final time they can franchise him? He can cut down on his touches. Still get paid some. Then sign a contract on par or better than current signings?

Valiant
09-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Bell lost leverage today. The Squealers ran the ball just fine without him.Conner was good for 135 yards at 4.4 yards per carry. Squealers just said piss off to Bell. LMAO

They tied the browns though. To a lot bell would have gotten 200 and a win.

Simply Red
09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Bumping to keep this under our eyes.

Eleazar
09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
They shouldn't have franchised him

O.city
09-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Lotta talk about potential spots for Bell now that the Steelers have openend up to trades.

I think I like the Philly idea the best.

Coochie liquor
09-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Lotta talk about potential spots for Bell now that the Steelers have openend up to trades.

Bell and Ajayi?

Sassy Squatch
09-27-2018, 12:59 PM

How? 20 million over the cap next year.

The Franchise
09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
How? 20 million over the cap next year.

$18 million from Nick Foles.

O.city
09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Yeah Trade Foles to wherever and get Bell. They can't extend him til the offseason anyway.

Sassy Squatch
09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Yeah Trade Foles to wherever and get Bell. They can't extend him til the offseason anyway.
They only have roughly 5 million right now.

CupidStunt
09-27-2018, 01:04 PM
I still haven't seen this answered anywhere yet: why would Bell sign his tender to be traded? Other than going to his idle spot and/or being told he'll be used lightly and/or verbally agreeing to a mega-deal (which itself seems incredibly unlikely), I don't see it.

Sassy Squatch
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM
I still haven't seen this answered anywhere yet: why would Bell sign his tender to be traded? Other than going to his idle spot and/or being told he'll be used lightly and/or verbally agreeing to a mega-deal (which itself seems incredibly unlikely), I don't see it.
He'd get his money a hell of a lot quicker that way.

O.city
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM
They only have roughly 5 million right now.

Trade Foles first.

Sassy Squatch
09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Trade Foles first.
To who? 49ers?

CupidStunt
09-27-2018, 01:13 PM
He'd get his money a hell of a lot quicker that way.

What money? He clearly isn't interested in his F-Tag money and he can't sign an extension.

Sassy Squatch
10-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Look at the comments.

https://i.redd.it/ok5th3phxjp11.jpg

Skyy God
10-01-2018, 07:53 AM
The next CBA negotiations are gonna be UGLY.

-King-
10-01-2018, 07:56 AM
The next CBA negotiations are gonna be UGLY.

Think we're going to move on to fully guaranteed contacts but they'll be 2-3 years on average. 5+ year deals will be rare
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
10-01-2018, 07:58 AM
The players need to save their money now and prepare to holdout.

I am fine with it if the players can get more $$$$$

Mecca
10-01-2018, 08:10 AM
They're going to have to take a stand in regards to the leagues NFL players by far have the worst deal.

penguinz
10-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Isnt this the final time they can franchise him? He can cut down on his touches. Still get paid some. Then sign a contract on par or better than current signings?
They can transition tag him which would pay him 120% of what he actually made this year. If he comes back last minute and they did this he would make less than he was scheduled to make this year.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24844573/leveon-bell-potentially-risking-2019-salary-absence-pittsburgh-steelers-wait-trade-offers

Sassy Squatch
10-01-2018, 08:45 AM
They can transition tag him which would pay him 120% of what he actually made this year. If he comes back last minute and they did this he would make less than he was scheduled to make this year.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24844573/leveon-bell-potentially-risking-2019-salary-absence-pittsburgh-steelers-wait-trade-offers
LMAO was just coming here to post this. Schefter said it would be between 9m and 13m.

penguinz
10-01-2018, 08:47 AM
It is just a stupid move. The $14 million he was to make this year will not be made up on a new contract.

bowener
10-01-2018, 08:52 AM
To who? 49ers?

To the Steelers straight up for Bell. Isn't Ben near retirement?

Mecca
10-01-2018, 08:55 AM

If they actually did that they should be ready to not have any player ever want to play for them, being petty is not worth making players think you are a shit organization.

Mecca
10-01-2018, 08:56 AM
It is just a stupid move. The $14 million he was to make this year will not be made up on a new contract.

Your take is ignorant, what if the Jets give him like 40 mill guaranteed I think that is worth sitting out and not being given 450 touches or having an ACL tear.

penguinz
10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Your take is ignorant, what if the Jets give him like 40 mill guaranteed I think that is worth sitting out and not being given 450 touches or having an ACL tear.
BS, he still loses the money he is losing this year. $40M guaranteed plus the $14M he was to make this year is still more than just $40M.

-King-
10-01-2018, 09:48 AM
BS, he still loses the money he is losing this year. $40M guaranteed plus the $14M he was to make this year is still more than just $40M.

He's still going to make his money as long as he reports by week 10.

And even if he wasn't, 40M > 14M. If he played this year for his 14M and got hurt, that 40M disappears. You ok with that risk?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
10-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Apparently it's hard to understand that what happened to Thomas is why Bell is doing what he's doing.

penguinz
10-01-2018, 09:52 AM
He's still going to make his money as long as he reports by week 10.

And even if he wasn't, 40M > 14M. If he played this year for his 14M and got hurt, that 40M disappears. You ok with that risk?
Posted via Mobile DeviceYes, 100% ok with that risk. It is called life.

How many of you have guaranteed contracts that if you somehow suffered an injury/illness that prevented you from doing your current job you would still get paid?

If he is worried about getting hurt and not playing again then he is in the wrong profession and he could also get an insurance policy to.

-King-
10-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Yes, 100% ok with that risk. It is called life.

How many of you have guaranteed contracts that if you somehow suffered an injury/illness that prevented you from doing your current job you would still get paid?

If he is worried about getting hurt and not playing again then he is in the wrong profession and he could also get an insurance policy to.

Why the fuck would I compare my current job to playing in the NFL?

And that second paragraph is just idiotic. So because he plays in the NFL he shouldn't try to look out for his health?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefGator
10-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Can't the NFL just put injury clauses attached to the franchise tag. A player signing for the franchise tag is guaranteed a payout in relation to the tag if he is injured that year and can't play the following?

Doesn't seem hard to build something in like that.

Mecca
10-01-2018, 10:39 AM
What would stop the Steelers from feeding him with 400+ touches and killing his value?

The teams treat the RB position like a business commodity so what is wrong with him doing the exact same thing?

Sassy Squatch
10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
What would stop the Steelers from feeding him with 400+ touches and killing his value?

The teams treat the RB position like a business commodity so what is wrong with him doing the exact same thing?
I wouldn't be shocked if Bell fakes an injury if the Steelers try to do that with him.

BryanBusby
10-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Yes, 100% ok with that risk. It is called life.

I'd get 100% of my salary if I were sick because I don't work at a shitty company.

penguinz
10-01-2018, 10:56 AM
I'd get 100% of my salary if I were sick because I don't work at a shitty company.
So if you all of a sudden developed a devastating sickness/injury that prefented you from ever doing your job again you would be set for life because your company would still pay you your full salary?

Mecca
10-01-2018, 11:03 AM
I don't get this attitude, so he is protecting himself from being used up an old cum rag before he gets his pay day and that's not ok because fuck him deal with it?

lcarus
10-01-2018, 11:18 AM
I understand where players like Bell are coming from, but it seems to me even if he did "get 450 touches and tear an ACL" he would still be healthy soon enough to get a huge contract from someone next year.

BryanBusby
10-01-2018, 11:45 AM
So if you all of a sudden developed a devastating sickness/injury that prefented you from ever doing your job again you would be set for life because your company would still pay you your full salary?
Move the goalposts just a tad there. But yeah I would probably be set with my disability policies that are company paid. Thanks for asking.

Skyy God
10-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Move the goalposts just a tad there. But yeah I would probably be set with my disability policies that are company paid. Thanks for asking.

Note to self: buy a company disability policy.

Skyy God
10-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I understand where players like Bell are coming from, but it seems to me even if he did "get 450 touches and tear an ACL" he would still be healthy soon enough to get a huge contract from someone next year.

Not if he tears it in December/January.

Couch-Potato
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Who has interest? ...Would be great for the Eagles, Texans, Buccs, Pats, Packers, Bears maybe. Where do you think he goes?

Stealers want a 2nd + a "good player" for him.

displacedinMN
10-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Looks like he is back week 7

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24863960/leveon-bell-report-steelers-week-7

Sassy Squatch
10-01-2018, 04:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

eDave
10-01-2018, 04:56 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Needs to get paid.

Sassy Squatch
10-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Needs to get paid.
Maybe he poured all his money into that travesty he calls "rapping".

jjchieffan
10-01-2018, 05:50 PM
The players need to save their money now and prepare to holdout.

I am fine with it if the players can get more $$$$$
It don't understand this way of thinking at all. It's absolutely disgusting what pro athletes are paid. Bell was offered more money than he could ever spend by the Steelers. That wasn't enough. What can a person do with $80 million that he can't do with $70 million? It's nothing but pure greed. There is no reason why he should be holding out. He could have taken a life changing contract but he got greedy. I hope that he comes back for his accrued season and gets a career ending injury. It would serve him right. And just for the record, I think that it's disgusting what the teams make too. But at least the team owners had a financial stake in the team, not just in themselves.