PDA

View Full Version : Football CP Let's Talk Some Football Philosophy

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:42 PM
This is probably a really stupid question but its something I've noticed week 1 with both the Chiefs and Huskers ( I know fuck Nebraska signed 90% of this board)

Under Reid we were traditional West Coast and before Frost it was also West Coast However week 1 with both teams it was less traditional west coast and more about chunk plays. Both teams executed this quite well.

However there are examples of both where clock management was poor. Example in the Nebraska game with the lead they were driving they continued to play uptempo with 3 minutes to play and the lead they continued to snap the ball between :20-:12 seconds left on the play clock. I feel at the end this may have ended up costing them though they have a piss poor secondary.

The Chiefs I noticed did the same thing however they had a larger lead.

The only argument I've seen is with offenses who are uptempo like the Huskers and Chiefs is that when you try to slow the game down it makes said offenses ineffective. To me it wreaks of poor clock management. In the Chiefs case it probably didnt matter because the lead was so large.

My question to the board is this: Is it poor clock management? Is it possible for an up tempo offense to slow it down and still be effective? If so can you give examples of previous teams who've been able to do it? Because off the top of my head I cant.

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Disclaimer: I dont feel comfortable with either teams defense punting the ball away with 1:30 left up only a score. I know it goes against traditional thinking but when your bread and butter is your offense why not remain aggressive?

cdcox
09-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Just win, baby.

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Just win, baby.

Amen to that but if we were up 28-24 with a minute left vs the Chargers I would be sweating it out. Air it out Patty.

Best22
09-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Disclaimer: I dont feel comfortable with either teams defense punting the ball away with 1:30 left up only a score. I know it goes against traditional thinking but when your bread and butter is your offense why not remain aggressive?

The Chiefs punted when we were up two scores (38-28)

O.city
09-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Scoring more points is always going to be better than running clock?

Best22
09-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Teams that score fast are more susceptible to blown leads (1990s Oilers, Huge Freeze Ole Miss)

Good thing is that KC has a better RB than either of those squads.

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Scoring more points is always going to be better than running clock?

Would you rather run the clock down to 1:30 with this defense only up 6 or could you try and go up 2 scores with a dynamic offense?

Best22
09-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Would you rather run the clock down to 1:30 with this defense only up 6 or could you try and go up 2 scores with a dynamic offense?

Got to put it in the hands of your best player or unit

If I have Rodgers, I'm passing to clinch the game

If I have Nate Peterman, we're running the ball and praying the defense can stop them

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Got to put it in the hands of your best player or unit

If I have Rodgers, I'm passing to clinch the game

If I have Nate Peterman, we're running the ball and praying the defense can stop them

Absolutely. Thank you.

Coach
09-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Well, that depends on the field position.

O.city
09-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Always take the more point scenario

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Well, that depends on the field position.

Let's go off Saturday as the example. You're at midfield and moving the ball?

Best22
09-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Also have to remember that the Bills ran a lot of no-huddle in the early 1990s as well, almost always lost Time of Possession, yet they had an elite running back (Thurman Thomas) and rarely ever blew a lead. Never blew a lead in the playoffs

So like I said, good thing we have Hunt

Coach
09-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Let's go off Saturday as the example. You're at midfield and moving the ball?

If I have a good QB and RB's/WR's, I'd go for it.

If my QB is ass, I'm punting it.

There are a lot of variables into play.

Titty Meat
09-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Also have to remember that the Bills ran a lot of no-huddle in the early 1990s as well, almost always lost Time of Possession, yet they had an elite running back (Thurman Thomas) and rarely ever blew a lead. Never blew a lead in the playoffs

So like I said, good thing we have Hunt

Yeah Hunts a great back but if you stack 9 or 10 in the box and just try to run the clock out you're probably punting it.

Best22
09-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Yeah Hunts a great back but if you stack 9 or 10 in the box and just try to run the clock out you're probably punting it.

Yeah, I didn't watch too much 1990s Bills. I believe they won a lot of blowouts and didn't have to worry about "icing" the game very often. Those defenses were better than ours, and probably would've taken this game 38-23

It's tough to run the clock out when they know it's coming. Unless you get to play the 2016-17 Chiefs :shake: