PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Patrick Mahomes II Is Here to Save the Deep Ball—and Destroy the NFL

RunKC
09-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Great stuff from The Ringer. Can’t embed the tweets; open and read its glory.

Few things explain the current state of football more simply than the relationship between field goals and turnovers. In 2017, NFL teams kicked 169 field goals and committed 138 turnovers per 100 team games, according to research by analytics writer Chase Stuart. In 1950, teams made 51 field goals per 100 team games … and 373 turnovers. Those numbers remained in favor of the turnover for the next six decades. The story of the NFL is one of those two numbers slowly converging, and now field goals have exceeded turnovers in every year since 2011.

What happened?

Quarterbacks are simply better at throwing risk-averse passes and efficiently marching their teams down the field for points. The amount of yards Drew Brees’s passes traveled in the air dropped from 8.3 yards per pass in 2009 to 6.4 in 2017, according to airyards.com. Eli Manning’s dropped from 9.8 in 2011 to 7.3 last year and 6.8 on Sunday against the Jaguars. Today’s quarterbacks are excelling at throwing quicker, shorter passes that not only neutralize the pass rush but limit the chances for turnovers.

This, of course, can be harmful to the entertainment value of the game. Sacks and turnovers are fun. Short, simple, obvious completions are usually not. But there’s been a near-universal shift in the NFL toward passing no more than two seconds after the snap. Quarterbacks throw fewer interceptions than ever before; subsequently, their teams are in position to kick more field goals, which are not fun. In some ways the NFL is more innovative than ever, but some games can look like a Jeff Fisher fever dream.

Then there is Patrick Mahomes II, the second-year Kansas City Chiefs quarterback, the Deep-Passing Prince Who Was Promised. On Sunday, the excitement around the league from football people was off the charts. Mahomes’s ability to hit big plays in practice has been raved about for nearly a year, and now it’s here, in a regular-season game, and it’s awesome.

According to Pro Football Focus’s Mike Renner, Mahomes’s average depth of target was 14.6 yards per pass on Sunday. The highest mark in the past decade over a season was 13.4. Mahomes is part of the anti-short-passing resistance inside the NFL.

The Chiefs have a near-perfect mix of talent around Mahomes. Head coach Andy Reid has compared his loose playing style to that of Brett Favre. The team traded Alex Smith, one of the most dependable players in the league, to make way for Mahomes, whom it drafted with the 10th overall pick in the 2017 draft after trading up from no. 27. On Sunday, Mahomes had his first meaningful start—the Chiefs beat the Chargers 38-28—and everything went according to plan, as he went 15-for-27 for 256 yards and four touchdowns. It is easy to overreact to the score of that game, but what’s important is how everything looked. To use a football term, it looked really freaking cool.

A unique player like Mahomes requires unique teammates.

“We’ve made a note, in our draft room, to look for guys who understand the play is never dead,” Chiefs general manager Brett Veach told me. “Because Patrick is going to hit you from anywhere.”

On Sunday, 22 percent of Mahomes’s passes were thrown 20 or more yards down the field, per Pro Football Focus. Tyrod Taylor was at 25 percent, the only quarterback higher—except Mahomes’s quarterback rating on those throws was 135.4, while Taylor’s was 33.3. For Dallas, just 3.4 percent of Dak Prescott’s passes were deep balls (one of 29). Two of Drew Brees’s 45 attempts were deep (4.4 percent). And three of Nathan Peterman’s 18 attempts were deep—a cool 16.7 percent. He completed zero of those attempts.

The Chiefs are not just running four deep routes and calling it a day, though. Mahomes hit fullback Anthony Sherman—the fullback!—off a wheel route for 36 yards.

Yes, it’s only one game, and plenty of questions about Mahomes remain. He has thrown four touchdowns and no interceptions, but we haven’t seen him enough to say that he won’t struggle with turnovers, something that’s happened in practice so often that it became a training camp story line. He is, all things considered, inexperienced when compared with Smith or any of the quarterbacks in his division—Case Keenum, Derek Carr, and Philip Rivers. But for each question there are many more possibilities, and that’s what makes Mahomes so exciting.

If I may fire up the hyperbole train: This week, ESPN’s Ian O’Connor dropped the nugget that Tom Brady once told a coach that if Aaron Rodgers played for Bill Belichick he’d pass for 7,000 yards. Brady’s point was that with Belichick’s coaching, Rodgers would be even better than he was. Mahomes is not Rodgers and Reid is not Belichick, but what if Mahomes and Reid are a low-grade version of the Rodgers-Belichick fantasy? Mahomes is not going to pass for 7,000 yards, but they could be one of the league’s most productive pairings.

“We’ve made a note, in our draft room, to look for guys who understand the play is never dead. Because Patrick is going to hit you from anywhere.” —Chiefs general manager Brett Veach
Reid is one of the most forward-thinking coaches in the game—he destroyed the Patriots with plays rarely run in the NFL in Week 1 a year ago. Giving Reid a smart, athletic, big-armed quarterback like Mahomes is like giving Jon Gruden a franchise player to trade away: The possibilities are endless.

“Coach believes in letting your personalities show, he encourages that,” Veach said of the offense. “Even though he has been running variations of the West Coast offense for years, he’s always looking to push the envelope. He’s always looking to test things. He wants to be first on things.”

Look at how different the play-calling was for Mahomes than Smith, with respect to deep passing:

Mahomes came from a Texas Tech offense that runs the Air Raid, a type of spread offense. According to Pro Football Reference’s approximate value metric, Mahomes, after two starts, is already the second most valuable NFL quarterback to ever come out of the school—ahead of Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, and a slew of record-setting quarterbacks from previous generations.

When I met with him, I asked Veach a question I already knew the answer to: Did that “spread” label worry him in the same way it worries some other coaches? Coordinators, general managers, and head coaches have complained to me about “college” offenses—about how quarterbacks from certain schemes can’t take snaps from center or read certain coverages. Reid, on the other hand, has told me that the NFL is always five years behind college and that these offenses were always coming to the NFL, regardless of any complaints the wider league may have.

“I know that coach, and our staff, we don’t look at an offense or where they came from—Patrick is a great example of that,” Veach said. “Sometimes really good players end up at schools and they do a good job of developing and working on their craft and it’s out of their control what offense they play in. … Not everyone is a five-star recruit who can say, ‘I’m going right here, to Alabama, to run this offense.’”

Mahomes was a Rivals three-star recruit. His only other offers came from Houston and Rice.

“Some players are still developing and not highly recruited. Then maybe a coach sees something and it’s his only Division I offer and he’s at the mercy of what they are running,” Veach said. “It doesn’t mean he can’t play. It doesn’t mean you stop looking at the tape. The way we look at it is we never look into [the offense]. All across the league you’re seeing more and more of these [spread] guys. Teams are blocking out the hearsay and the chatter and honing in on the player.”

The ideal Mahomes represents is a risk-taking, young quarterback who can bring excitement. The Favre comparison is apt in at least one regard: Like with Favre, you have to watch Mahomes because literally anything can happen at any time. Look at this damn thing from his first start last year:

The Chiefs have already done a brilliant job of building an offense around Mahomes. Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt are two of the most dynamic players in the league. Sammy Watkins averages 15.8 yards per catch in his career. Travis Kelce is one of the best tight ends in football. The line is solid.

When looking for skill-position talent, Veach said he’s specifically looking for players who don’t do this: “Guys who get paralyzed when they run their route. They go 12, 14 yards and they just kind of look around. Some guys just naturally see it, get the flow of the defense, and find the pockets.”

Unprompted, he brought up Antonio Brown. “He’s the best I’ve ever seen at this. How many yards and catches does he get outside of the play that’s actually called?” Veach said. “And Ben [Roethlisberger] knows. You see this amazing thing on tape: You’ll see Ben look and Antonio is covered, he looks off the backside, getting off his second, third, fourth looks, and you can see Antonio and it’s ‘There he is,’ and he’s 20 yards from where he’s supposed to be, but Ben knows where he’s going to end up. It’s wild.”

Veach and Reid’s task is to improve on what is already a great supporting offense for Mahomes. The possibilities are endless. It is too early to make any long-term proclamations about Mahomes—whether he’s going to pilot a consistent contender or bring a Super Bowl to Kansas City or win an MVP. All of these things are wildly premature to predict. So, here’s the one thing we can say for certain: We’ll be watching.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/9/11/17844496/patrick-mahomes-ii-is-here-to-save-the-deep-ball-and-destroy-the-nfl?__twitter_impression=true

ptlyon
09-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Wonder what river's would've been if it weren't for those drops

Reerun_KC
09-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Also P-Bomb missed some shorter intermediate routes in favor of the Deep ball. Which is fine but at times those can be drive killers. He even said as much in his post game.

Best22
09-11-2018, 08:37 AM

And I wonder what KC woulda done if the refs had not called forward progress against Mariota?

I guess we would've been New Englands sacrificial lamb, which feels better than being the Titan's sacrificial lamb

PlanningMan
09-11-2018, 08:43 AM
The kid is not surefire anything. Smart money says he's out of the league in 3 years.

Beef Supreme
09-11-2018, 08:44 AM
The kid is not surefire anything. Smart money says he's out of the league in 3 years.

I guess it's a good thing we're not smart.

Reerun_KC
09-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Nice cliche post.

Best22
09-11-2018, 08:56 AM

case keeINumT.

KCrockaholic
09-11-2018, 09:22 AM

You're a retarded faggot.

ROYC75
09-11-2018, 09:29 AM

:shake:

Why Not?
09-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Great. I'll take that bet. Name the price?

Hoopsdoc
09-11-2018, 09:31 AM
When do the Chiefs face a cover 2 team? I’m interested in seeing how he handles the deep ball being taken away.

Halfcan
09-11-2018, 09:32 AM
I am a fucking idiot troll.

:clap:

Great post!

bigjosh
09-11-2018, 09:40 AM
When do the Chiefs face a cover 2 team? I’m interested in seeing how he handles the deep ball being taken away.

This week we are playing the team that killed 11 with cover 2 on multiple occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Parties
09-11-2018, 09:53 AM
What I love about this kid is even when his arm and legs start to decline, his intangibles are still going to make him a top tier QB.

Hoover
09-11-2018, 09:55 AM
A few thoughts on this.

Mahomes had some drops too.

And do you know why the Chargers had all those drops? Because they felt the pressure to match what the Chiefs were doing. I'll be honest, if they pounded the ball more and used their RBS more than they did vs slinging it all over the place, I think they win that game.

The Chiefs big play offense really puts pressure on the other teams to keep pace. It's a beautiful thing.

FringeNC
09-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Part of the reason for the decline in downfield passing is the O lines can't pass block anymore. Does give someone like Mahomes an advantage -- he doesn't need to even set his feet to throw deep, just a flick of the wrist on the run.

Hoopsdoc
09-11-2018, 12:47 PM
This week we are playing the team that killed 11 with cover 2 on multiple occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually teams will force Pat to dink and dunk his way down the field by allowing nothing over the top.

How he responds to that will be the measure of his greatness. IMO.

Hoover
09-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Eventually teams will force Pat to dink and dunk his way down the field by allowing nothing over the top.

You mean like a 7 yard slant that Hill takes for a 58 yard score. OK

Its not just about Mahomes here. The KC offensive tallet in incredibly talented, causes matchup problems with defenses, and yeah, it has a QB who has a crazy arm and is really smart.

Mephistopheles Janx
09-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Giving Reid a smart, athletic, big-armed quarterback like Mahomes is like giving Jon Gruden a franchise player to trade away: The possibilities are endless.

LMFAO

chiefzilla1501
09-11-2018, 02:11 PM

In the deep middle. We've got to stretch those safeties out horizontally. That means using your receivers on the outside. That's a nightmare for the steelers especially if Haden isn't ready to go. Mahomes creates a ton of space. Smith basically used only the flats and the middle which falls right into the cover 2s lap.

Hoopsdoc
09-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Its not just about Mahomes here. The KC offensive tallet in incredibly talented, causes matchup problems with defenses, and yeah, it has a QB who has a crazy arm and is really smart.

This is a valid point.

DRM08
09-11-2018, 02:32 PM

That was a lot longer tha a 7 yard slant. Closer to 20 yards in the air before Cheetah was off to the races.

ModSocks
09-11-2018, 02:34 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha

Me thinks you're not thinking about Reid's offense, our weapons, and how this offense dictates to a defense.

Halfcan
09-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Part of the reason for the decline in downfield passing is the O lines can't pass block anymore. Does give someone like Mahomes an advantage -- he doesn't need to even set his feet to throw deep, just a flick of the wrist on the run.

Mahomes is going to need 2 to 3 years behind Alex to fix his horrendous footwork- Draft Experts

The Franchise
09-11-2018, 02:38 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha

Me thinks you're not thinking about Reid's offense, our weapons, and how this offense dictates to a defense.

Yeah....gone are the days of defenses making the offense do what they want.

ModSocks
09-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Yeah....gone are the days of defenses making the offense do what they want.

Yup. The tables have turned. D's don't get to pick how they want to play us anymore.

D's will be forced to adjust to how we want to play them.

There's no more of this, "make Alex beat you through the air" bullshit anymore.

CasselGotPeedOn
09-11-2018, 02:46 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/HzhQnLJflsRIQ/giphy.gif

Mecca
09-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Skinny post, TE up the seem, the deep post to the WR's, basically all throws that Alex Smith really didn't like to make very often especially the skinny and deep posts.

Pablo
09-11-2018, 02:59 PM

I hope your dog gets hit by a truck today.

WhiteWhale
09-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Is that were the smart money is?

Wanna bet me Mahomes is still playing in 2022?

Easiest fucking money I'll ever make.

WhiteWhale
09-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Meh.

Teams spent years trying to take away the ability of Randy Moss to kill you deep.

Teams failed for years.

You're underestimating Hill. On top of being so dangerous deep, let's remember he took a slant 58 yards to pay-dirt on Sunday. Watkins can run after the catch. Kelce, obviously, can run after the catch. You don't want to give ANY of those guys easy catches in space.

Rausch
09-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Smart money says he's a league MVP in 3 years...

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 05:40 PM

That's when he'll throw at Kelce?

Easy 6
09-11-2018, 05:43 PM
One of the 3 best articles I've read on Mahomes

He has become the worst kept secret in the NFL

Prison Bitch
09-11-2018, 07:46 PM
What I love about this kid is even when his arm and legs start to decline, his intangibles are still going to make him a top tier QB.

When's that? Dude is only 22. A decade away?