PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft NFL acknowledges Steelers benefited from bogus personal foul in tie with Cleveland

Eleazar
09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
NFL: Crucial flag in first half of Steelers-Browns tie was incorrect

Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett shouldn't have been called for roughing the passer in the second quarter of the Browns' 21-21 tie Sunday with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the NFL's senior vice president for officiating said Monday.

Garrett wrapped up Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on a third-down incompletion and was called for a personal foul. On the next play, Steelers running back James Conner ran in for a touchdown and a 6-0 Steelers lead.

Al Riveron, the NFL's senior vice president of officiating, told NFL.com that the official erred in calling the penalty on Garrett. The defensive end was flagged for a violation of the rule that prohibits a player from landing on the quarterback with most or all of his body weight.

"The rule specifically says 'most, if not all, of your body weight,'" Riveron said Monday. "So we want that player to make an effort. And the last three or four weeks, we have pulled extensive video to show the clubs exactly what we're talking about. ... Because the question we get all the time is, 'Well, what do you want our players to do?'

"Well, they have to not put the weight on the quarterback. And this one yesterday showed, even though there is some body weight on Ben, this is not what we would consider contact that rises to the level of a foul."

Riveron said four other penalties for players landing on quarterbacks -- on Atlanta's Grady Jarrett, Cincinnati's Carlos Dunlap, Minnesota's Sheldon Richardson and New Orleans' David Onyemata -- were correct.

Jarrett fell on Eagles quarterback Nick Foles in the end zone after Foles released a pass in Thursday night's opener.

"I didn't think it was a bad hit," Jarrett said Monday. "I feel like I kept my weight off him pretty good intentionally, popped up fast. I wasn't able to turn to the side.''

Sunday's penalty perplexed the Browns. Coach Hue Jackson said Monday, before he heard Riveron's comments, that he needed to learn more to understand the thinking behind the flag.

After the game, Garrett was also confused.

"I don't know how from that angle I can hit him and put him into the ground," Garrett said Sunday. "So you don't want to tackle him. You kind of just have to tackle him into the ground. So you don't you put your body weight or almost all your body weight into him, so I have to torque myself out of the way. So hopefully that gets adjusted or something's changed about that, but we'll see. I'm not going to change how I'm hitting because that's how I've always been taught.''

Jarrett said he and Falcons coach Dan Quinn had a conversation about the Thursday night play.

"We just talked about trying to make adjustments," Jarrett said. "You can't do nothing about the rule.''

At the same time, Jarrett said it's hard to alter his playing style.

"Without a doubt," he said. "I feel like not power-driving him into the ground is fair. I feel like not intentionally hitting him in the head is fair.

"Form tackle: I don't think that's fair to call roughing. And we've seen that happen a lot. But what are you going to do, cry about the call? ... If they want to do that, they might as well go to two-hand touch. When we touch a quarterback, just be a sack then. You know what I'm saying? So just be fair on both ends of it."

Quinn acknowledged that those are plays the officials are now calling with a renewed emphasis on player safety.

"So the hit on the quarterback -- and Grady and I just had that conversation -- we've got to get a way so they can hit and then at the last second, if we can, move,'' Quinn said. "It's going to be challenging when you're going full speed one way and hitting. 'How do I change and get off course?'

"By no means was he trying to dumb the quarterback on that play, what the rule is intended for. I get it. Pile-driving the guy down, that was certainly not the case or his intent on that play."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24638192/nfl-says-key-flag-pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-browns-called-error

ModSocks
09-11-2018, 10:15 AM
NFL is like, "Yeah. So what. Expect more next week vs KC".

ptlyon
09-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Great. Wonderful. Just wait to see how they fuck us.

Halfcan
09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
NFL trying to prop up an aging Big Ben by skirting their own rules.

It is the Manning years all over again.

Bugeater
09-11-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm sure all Browns fans feel much better now.

ptlyon
09-11-2018, 10:49 AM
NFL says "Hold my beer and watch this"

Best22
09-11-2018, 10:54 AM
NFL trying to prop up an aging Big Ben by skirting their own rules.

It is the Manning years all over again.

Is anyone not tired of Big Ben? I liked the old days when QBs would actually go away. This guy has been here for 15 years. Steelers are boring. Tired of the same teams

Give me Bortles and the Jags if not KC

Baby Lee
09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
In an effort to ameliorate the shortcoming, league officials are begging Triplette to unretire.

Frazod
09-11-2018, 10:59 AM
I other shocking news, the NFL has determined that water is wet and women have secrets.

Same as it ever was.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zwftcMV1Pzy1L3ZJthg17A4QrGI=/0x0:399x266/1200x800/filters:focal(0x0:399x266)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/assets/777735/Steeler_Ref.jpg

The Franchise
09-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Is anyone not tired of Big Ben? I liked the old days when QBs would actually go away. This guy has been here for 15 years. Steelers are boring. Tired of the same teams

I find his career hilarious. Every time they talk about how great he is during a game....he goes out and throws a pick.

dj56dt58
09-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I agree with the 2 hand touch comment the qb should just be considered sacked if a player touches him with 2 hands because anything more than that is a flag anyway. Then they will start flagging for touching them too hard though

KC_Lee
At this point someone should bring a metal folding chair onto the field ALA the WWE.

Crap like this is what makes pro wrestling more legit than the NFL.

Sassy Squatch

I'm pretty sure the Steelers fanbase lowkey despises him.

Beef Supreme
09-11-2018, 12:00 PM
The only surprising thing here is they admitted it. And despite the thread title, my lazy skimming of the article didn't spot any evidence that the NFL admitted anything.

Frazod
09-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I think this rule was pretty much specifically written for Rapistburger. He’s a hulking goon who is already difficult to bring down. So now he either gets away or the $tealer$ get 15 free yards.

MahiMike
09-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Also the block in the back call at the very end of the run in OT. Would have had the ball at the 10.

Eleazar
09-11-2018, 12:12 PM
The only surprising thing here is they admitted it. And despite the thread title, my lazy skimming of the article didn't spot any evidence that the NFL admitted anything.

Al Riveron, the NFL's senior vice president of officiating, told NFL.com that the official erred in calling the penalty on Garrett.

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Take the points away from Pittsburgh and give the Browns a W, or who gives a fuck??

The NFL has a habit of "oops, our bad"...but doing fuck all about it.

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
I think this rule was pretty much specifically written for Rapistburger. He’s a hulking goon who is already difficult to bring down. So now he either gets away or the $tealer$ get 15 free yards.

Cam Jewton, too.

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
At this point someone should bring a metal folding chair onto the field ALA the WWE.

Crap like this is what makes pro wrestling more legit than the NFL.

You didn't see Aaron Rodgers imitation of Hulk Hogan on Sunday night?

That was SO WWE.

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 12:28 PM
I other shocking news, the NFL has determined that water is wet and women have secrets.

Same as it ever was.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zwftcMV1Pzy1L3ZJthg17A4QrGI=/0x0:399x266/1200x800/filters:focal(0x0:399x266)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/assets/777735/Steeler_Ref.jpg

Is that Ref wearing Pittsburgh throwbacks?

Makes sense, if so...

BlackOp
09-11-2018, 12:35 PM
NFL - "Sorry about stealing the rent money off your nightstand and spending it on hookers...we're still good, right"

TEX
09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
On ANY given Sunday the game will flow how the NFL wants it to... I'm also so NOT surprised by they admitted the mistake because that's part of it too. They can say the wrong call was made to appease the fans, YET THE SCORE AND GAME RESULTS REMAIIN THE SAME. Moral apologies are just like moral victories. They SUCK!

TEX
09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
NFL - "Sorry about stealing the rent money off your nightstand and spending it on hookers...we're still good, right"

Dude, that's EXACTLY the case!

OKchiefs
09-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Nope. It's the Aaron Rodgers rule after he whined about getting injured last year. Blame Rodgers for being a whiny bitch and further ruining the NFL.

Bugeater
09-11-2018, 01:04 PM

There's also this Tom Brady guy...

displacedinMN
09-11-2018, 01:12 PM
On ANY given Sunday the game will flow how the NFL wants it to... I'm also so NOT surprised by they admitted the mistake because that's part of it too. They can say the wrong call was made to appease the fans, YET THE SCORE AND GAME RESULTS REMAIIN THE SAME. Moral apologies are just like moral victories. They SUCK!

Agree. Proves that the NFL and refs influence the game. How do we go from 5-0 to losing to crap teams that are on the verge of losing their fan base for the year?

DJJasonp
09-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Take the points away from Pittsburgh and give the Browns a W, or who gives a ****??

The NFL has a habit of "oops, our bad"...but doing **** all about it.

How would that work for Vegas (who runs this WWE show)??

"Umm yeah, I'd like my money back on that parlay where I had 'x' on PITT/CLE......."

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 01:25 PM
I find his career hilarious. Every time they talk about how great he is during a game....he goes out and throws a pick.

I hope that trend continues next week.

Best22
09-11-2018, 01:31 PM
There's also this Tom Brady guy...

Brady is legendary and very successful. He leads his team to SB wins, whereas Big Ben relies on elite defense to win it all. I'm more tired of those drab blue and silver jerseys hogging every Superbowl spot and EVERY AFCCG!

The only question Pats fan asks anymore is "Who will we play in the AFCCG, and will it be at home or will we have a down year and have to travel?"

The 49ers were more charming. 5 SB wins yes, but atleast they didn't hog evey Confenrence Title spot, and they did it with 3 coaches and 2 quarterbacks

rabblerouser
09-11-2018, 06:01 PM
How would that work for Vegas (who runs this WWE show)??

"Umm yeah, I'd like my money back on that parlay where I had 'x' on PITT/CLE......."

Good luck.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Aka Selective enforcement. Like Fisher being called for holding while on the next Squeeler drive a BLATANT hold is ignored allowing them to run out the clock.

MotherfuckerJones
09-11-2018, 11:08 PM

Same as it ever was.

The fucking truth

BlackOp
09-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Agree. Proves that the NFL and refs influence the game. How do we go from 5-0 to losing to crap teams that are on the verge of losing their fan base for the year?

I'm still extremely skeptical of the timing of benching Talyor for Petermen last year, it made no sense as the Bills were still in contention...Chargers were 3-6 and another loss puts a team desperate of gaining traction in LA out of the postseason hunt with almost 2 months left. Chargers proceed to roll off 4 straight and tie KC in the standings..

Then the benching of Manning when the Raiders were 5-6 and KC was 6-5. Manning had 210 consecutive starts...

NFL got what it wanted... KC/Oakland/LA are all tied at 6-6.

Two, out of nowhere, benchings, at a critical juncture, kept the AFC west competitive...that and the hottest team in football (with an offensive genius at HC) decides it cant solve a cover 2 defense for a month and a half...Those two benchings were only for a single game...

As soon as the AFCW was competitive again...KC rolls off 4 straight like it never happened.

*I forgot to mention the truly bizarre ending to the Raiders game...KC was 5-1 and they were 2-4. League couldn't have KC running away with the division that early*

MotherfuckerJones
09-11-2018, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the Steelers fanbase lowkey despises him.

Listened to some Steelers sports radio, he got ripped relentlessly this week.

Bump
09-11-2018, 11:14 PM
seems like this rule is to give refs more "control" over a game (in order to rig them easier).

Flying High D
09-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Big Ben shits big turds.

Pittsburgh sports radio this week.

ModSocks
09-12-2018, 12:23 AM
Sucks going into a game knowing you're gonna get job'd by the refs.

Dayze
09-12-2018, 06:36 AM
I’m going to take Nzoners advice and look up the betting lines this weekend before the games, and just watch.

TEX
09-12-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm still extremely skeptical of the timing of benching Talyor for Petermen last year, it made no sense as the Bills were still in contention...Chargers were 3-6 and another loss puts a team desperate of gaining traction in LA out of the postseason hunt with almost 2 months left. Chargers proceed to roll off 4 straight and tie KC in the standings..

Then the benching of Manning when the Raiders were 5-6 and KC was 6-5. Manning had 210 consecutive starts...

NFL got what it wanted... KC/Oakland/LA are all tied at 6-6.

Two, out of nowhere, benchings, at a critical juncture, kept the AFC west competitive...that and the hottest team in football (with an offensive genius at HC) decides it cant solve a cover 2 defense for a month and a half...Those two benchings were only for a single game...

As soon as the AFCW was competitive again...KC rolls off 4 straight like it never happened.

*I forgot to mention the truly bizarre ending to the Raiders game...KC was 5-1 and they were 2-4. League couldn't have KC running away with the division that early*

Speaking of that Raiders game - What about the beginning? KC was doomed right from the start. Cooper pushed off BIG TIME before he caught their 1st TD pass. Refs threw a flag, then PICKED IT UP! Copper was giddy about it and was very surprised, because he had stayed on the field expecting OPI instead of celebrating, and running to the Raiders bench. LMAO! It was so blatant, the NFL didn't even try and hide what was happening. :shake:

You're right about the ending - it was a joke. The Raiders SUCKED SO BAD the Refs had to keep throwing flags and giving them 1st downs inside the TWO Yard line until they FINALLY CAUUGHT A PASS to "win" the game. Anyone who watched THAT game and doesn't think something was up is completely out of their minds. It was that bad.

TEX
09-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Sucks going into a game knowing you're gonna get job'd by the refs.

Yep. And KC hasn't eon in Pittsburgh in FOREVER... :hmmm:

Maybe Mahomes will be good enough, and deemed good for the league, that the Chiefs will start to benefit from a call or two.

BlackOp
09-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Speaking of that Raiders game - What about the beginning? KC was doomed right from the start. Cooper pushed off BIG TIME before he caught their 1st TD pass. Refs threw a flag, then PICKED IT UP! Copper was giddy about it and was very surprised, because he had stayed on the field expecting OPI instead of celebrating, and running to the Raiders bench. LMAO! It was so blatant, the NFL didn't even try and hide what was happening. :shake:

You're right about the ending - it was a joke. The Raiders SUCKED SO BAD the Refs had to keep throwing flags and giving them 1st downs inside the TWO Yard line until they FINALLY CAUUGHT A PASS to "win" the game. Anyone who watched THAT game and doesn't think something was up is completely out of their minds. It was that bad.

I forgot about that Cooper play...but I didn't forget about the strip sack that was negated on a phantom illegal contact. Even the announcer said..."hmmm, I didnt see it".

Think of it this way...NFL had hyped Oakland as SB contenders. If they lose, they fall to 2-5 and KC is at 6-1. That was one of the most lopsided, blatant attempts at steering an outcome as I've ever seen....it was ridiculous. The agenda was set even before they kicked off..

I alluded to this in the Denver thread...how they are always eternally optimistic about their teams chances. They have never had 4-5 blatant calls against them then lose...I've never seen an ending like the one in that game.

JakeF
09-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Steelers are one of those teams that always seem to get help from the league.

GloucesterChief
09-12-2018, 01:28 PM
The NFL almost always says this but never tells anybody any corrective action it will take to make sure it doesn't happen again.