PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Superstar QB and it's effect on a roster?

BlackOp
09-12-2018, 03:23 PM
It might be a bit premature to label PM a "superstar"...but I'm really curious about his presence and the compounding psychological effect in the locker room. Does this lead a team to be more focused because they have hope?

Both Manning and Brady had the ability to motivate their teammates... and get them to believe what they were doing was going to be successful. When Rodgers returned to the Bears game...you saw it.

Mahomes seems to have a bit of the "I'm going to kick your ass" in him.

Last year...when KC started to slide, it seemed like nobody had that mentality. They just looked stale and uninspired. Like it was expected... It was one the biggest changes in momentum in NFL history.

It will fascinating to watch this develop over the years...it's uncharted territory for us fans.

BlackHelicopters
09-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Mahomes is far from being a star, let alone a superstar.

KCrockaholic
09-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Is he at least a supermoon?

loochy
09-12-2018, 03:28 PM
http://floridarealestatelawandinvestmentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/00238049-637x353.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackOp
09-12-2018, 03:28 PM

He has all the earmarks of one...I did preface my OP with it being a premature label.

I would bet my house that he becomes one...

Battered Chiefs fans to ruin a thread in 3,2,1...

Halfcan
09-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Mahomes is a Star in KC already. The fans here know what the Chiefs have in this kid. The National media will catch on eventually.

He even turned down endorsements last year.

BlackHelicopters
09-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Dude has played two games.

jimidollar
09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
He's well on his way. I have faith in the kid.

CoMoChief
09-12-2018, 03:44 PM
The QB's like Favre, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Elway, Montana, Marino, etc all make the players around them better. These are the QB's that other players want to play for because it means "road to championship" and usually they play a little harder for these guys.

Bleeds over to the defense a little bit as well. If they know they have a QB that can get the ball into the endzone and win games, they're going to play a little bit harder by nature IMO.

BlackOp
09-12-2018, 03:46 PM

And beaten two divisional opponents in their house...while making jaw-dropping throws.

I'll say it again, I've never seen a QB, play like this, this early in his career. That isn't because he plays for KC...its because I truly havent.

Manning, Elway and Rodgers didn't...neither did the Rapist or Brady. Favre was terrible...

Maybe Marino? He kicked some ass his 2nd year...but also started 11 games as a rookie.

Halfcan
09-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Try finding a good Mahomes shirt around town- slim pickings.

Plus it is everything he has done off the field as well that has made his popularity skyrocket. He is a humble kid and is perfect for the Midwest.

Already in my top ten of Favorite KC Sports heroes of all time.

dlphg9
09-12-2018, 04:12 PM
He has all the earmarks of one...I did preface my OP with it being a premature label.

I would bet my house that he becomes one...

Battered Chiefs fans to ruin a thread in 3,2,1...

I have no doubt that he will be a top 5 qb this year and top 2 qb with in 2 years.

dj56dt58
09-12-2018, 04:16 PM

And already has 3 wins and 1 offensive player of the week under his belt..pretty damn good id say

Rain Man
09-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Charisma cannot be overrated. A guy with charisma has a huge advantage in almost anything he does, and one cannot deny that Patrick Mahomes II has charisma. When you see him on the sidelines with that confident smile, you pretty much know that he's going to be a winner and so you want to be on his team. At some critical point in time, that will pay off.

I watched a couple of Hard Knocks episodes with the Rams, and Jared Goff was exactly the opposite. He was remarkably uninspiring. Maybe he's got a great arm and will be a great quarterback, but I don't see a team falling into line behind him to help with that.

FAX
09-12-2018, 04:59 PM
I think this is a very interesting question. When you have a guy who sucks all the media oxygen out of the room, it can have a negative effect on the teammates.

But I don't see that happening in KC. First, we're a small market team ... less media effect, overall. The national media will be the divider ... if one emerges.

I also think Wally is the kind of coach to ensure this doesn't become a problem. And, to be honest, I think Veachie has tried to bring in guys who are "team-centric" and interested in winning. If that means that Mahomes gets invited to sleep with all the IG girls, so be it. So long as it leads to a championship. Which, after all, is the point. After, of course, you sleep with the left over IG girls.

FAX

Chief Pagan
09-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Put him in the Hall of Fame, already.

Sheeish, what's taking so long?

:harumph:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Dude has won his first two games and already named offensive POW.

Fixed

BlackOp
09-12-2018, 05:27 PM
I meant *psychological* not physiological in the op...#$%$# spellcheck

chiefforlife
09-12-2018, 09:48 PM
I thought his comment in the locker room to the media about Anthony Sherman was very telling. "I cant get to my locker because you all are interviewing the star". Thats so cool, you want to play for a guy that does that!
If I were Sherman, after hearing that, I would ruin guys before letting them touch my QB!
That is what makes guys around you play better! I love it!

dlphg9
09-12-2018, 11:18 PM
I thought his comment in the locker room to the media about Anthony Sherman was very telling. "I cant get to my locker because you all are interviewing the star". Thats so cool, you want to play for a guy that does that!
If I were Sherman, after hearing that, I would ruin guys before letting them touch my QB!
That is what makes guys around you play better! I love it!

Lol what? That's so cheesy. Like a dad joke or something.

Beef Supreme
09-12-2018, 11:25 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with being a star. It has to do with the players believing that they have a guy who can do some pretty impossible things to pull out a win. The media doesn't have to believe. They will. Probably sooner rather than later, even. But the guys in the locker room see it now, and the belief will grow the more he does it.

chiefforlife
09-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Lol what? That's so cheesy. Like a dad joke or something.

You have to read the actual quote, I am not doing it justice. He basically deflected the attention to Sherman who deserves a ton of credit for that play but it wouldnt have happened if not for a perfect throw by the magic man, Magic Mahomes!

dlphg9
09-12-2018, 11:40 PM
You have to read the actual quote, I am not doing it justice. He basically deflected the attention to Sherman who deserves a ton of credit for that play but it wouldnt have happened if not for a perfect throw by the magic man, Magic Mahomes!

I've heard it lol. It's just so cheesy, but it's awesome how hes the young guy but he is acting like the seasoned veteran.

Nickhead
09-13-2018, 12:07 AM
i just saw a chiefs fan in the stands at the chargers game. he was wearing #7.

who the fuck buys a #7 jersey, and what player would that have been?

and has anyone told that fan elway didn't play for the chiefs :D

dlphg9
09-13-2018, 12:45 AM

who the **** buys a #7 jersey, and what player would that have been?

For real? Matt "not even as good as Alex Smith" Cassel. Gag

MMXcalibur
09-13-2018, 12:52 AM
How about everyone just cool it on the "superstar" thing right now.....you're going to jinx it.

saphojunkie
09-13-2018, 01:01 AM
how about everyone realize that you have all the evidence Patrick Mahomes II is the future of the NFL and you enjoy the fucking ride.

BlackOp
09-13-2018, 01:01 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with being a star. It has to do with the players believing that they have a guy who can do some pretty impossible things to pull out a win.

That's pretty much the idea I was alluding to...Superstar was just a word I used to illustrate the team knowing their leader (QB) isn't just an average talent.

When players sign on with the Patriots...or the Donks (Manning era), they walk through the door expecting to win and accept the culture. Steelers to a lesser degree,... and that culture stems from the HC/QB and proving it, repeatedly, on the field. Talk is cheap...do players sign on with Detroit/Browns and except immediate excellence?...not only from themselves but from their QB?

The operative word in my OP was "hope"...players have to believe they have an actual chance to succeed. I would imagine the KC locker room is pretty energized right now...

I think Smith was a very good QB...but his "aw shucks, we'll get them next time" vibe permeates and become acceptable. Skids like last season should never happen...nor should two of the biggest post-season collapses happen in a 5 year period. It's like failure was expected and it was OK...hence Buttkicker missing an easy FG.

Nickhead
09-13-2018, 01:04 AM
For real? Matt "not even as good as Alex Smith" Cassel. Gag

Now I get it. I have totally blocked out that era. I sure as hell should not have asked this question as I fear for that mans life now that I have outed him.

RINGLEADER
09-13-2018, 01:33 AM

Record when opposing teams score 24 or more points: 2-0

Reerun_KC
09-13-2018, 06:35 AM

who the **** buys a #7 jersey, and what player would that have been?

Was it a chick?

BlackOp
11-01-2018, 02:36 AM
Thought I'd revise this thread...I started it after game one. KC is on to game 9....and sitting at 7-1.

I think it's safe to assume PMII is a superstar.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-01-2018, 04:06 AM
It might be a bit premature to label PM a "superstar"...but I'm really curious about his presence and the compounding psychological effect in the locker room. Does this lead a team to be more focused because they have hope?

Both Manning and Brady had the ability to motivate their teammates... and get them to believe what they were doing was going to be successful. When Rodgers returned to the Bears game...you saw it.

Last year...when KC started to slide, it seemed like nobody had that mentality. They just looked stale and uninspired. Like it was expected... It was one the biggest changes in momentum in NFL history.

It will fascinating to watch this develop over the years...it's uncharted territory for us fans.

Goddamnit man I've been yodeling this very fucking tune from the CP mountain top for YEARS now; FUCK YES IT BUMPS EVERYONE UP.

BIG time.

Now the REALLY fun part( assuming we ever get there ):

Watch what powerhouse QB and offense does to bolster EQUALLY powerful defense! Watch in amazement as you and thousands of others shit their pants with maniacal glee!

The dream is real! Fire Buttons and make this shit happen! :)

BlackOp
11-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Goddamnit man I've been yodeling this very ****ing tune from the CP mountain top for YEARS now; **** YES IT BUMPS EVERYONE UP.

BIG time.

Now the REALLY fun part( assuming we ever get there ):

Watch what powerhouse QB and offense does to bolster EQUALLY powerful defense! Watch in amazement as you and thousands of others shit their pants with maniacal glee!

The dream is real! Fire Buttons and make this shit happen! :)

I'm curious what the boost in FA draw becomes...Players already like Reid and having a ratings darling QB should be the final reason to take less in hopes of a SB.

MahiMike
11-01-2018, 06:32 AM

Holy shit! You need to post in the depressed thread.

bricks
11-01-2018, 06:35 AM

First off, Patrick Mahomes is a superstar based on his ability and productivity. The questions I would be asking is, can he stay healthy? Is he durable and not injury prone? How is he under pressure? And Im not referring to the regular season; Im referring to the playoffs. Will he take the team on his back in the playoffs when they’re trailing and drive them down the field to help them win the game? Those things have yet to be determined and only time will tell.

So yeah you’re kind of right in that it is a bit premature to label him in that sense because there are other factors that go into the making of a superstar. But we are definately seeing some signs of it and it is damn fun to watch!

Secondly, acquiring an elite quarterback is franchise altering. It changes the face of the franchise no question. Its the difference between your team being a perennial loser to a perennial winner. We are see that transition now. I’ll bet if Cleveland or Buffalo had this happen, we’d see that same transition taking place.

The QB is without a doubt the cornerstone of the franchise. He is the most important, most valuable player on the team without question. I do believe that rubs off on people in the locker room. When the players know that have they one of the best or elite at one of the most important positions; damn right that has a psychological impact. Im not even a part of the team and I could already tell through my observations and intuitions. I can feel it through the teams body language and just seeing the way that they play with more confidence now than in the past. I never felt that without Patrick Mahomes.

I think having Patrick Mahomes around increases the belief of the team as a whole because they all know they have a chance that they could win now against anybody. And thats what matters. I can’t think of any other reasons how he would impact the team. And I believe this is a trend because I saw the same thing with Brady and Manning.

Mile High Mania
11-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Might be early to start making a bust for Canton, but the dude is a game changer and prolific... certainly appears to be a player that will be among the elite for many years.

Question right now - is he more Deshaun Watson or Aaron Rogers?

That's not intended to be a slight. I think it will be fun to watch those two guys if Watson stays healthy, both have HUGE BANG factors when they're on the field.

Mahomes definitely has the IT factor and is so quick with the release and decision maker that he may very well be one of those elites that can make average guys look really good.

Will be fun to watch.

CervezaChill
11-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Comparing Mahomes to Watson, when he is in a midst of a historic record breaking season, is nothing less than a slight in my eyes.

Watson is a middling QB with a shelf life of less than 5 years. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it out of his rookie deal. His National championship rub should be wearing off but guess some people take longer to see it.

Patrick is more accurate, better arm, just overall better talent. I think in the next two or three years he will be the best QB in the league, unless there is some hidden gem in college that no one knows about.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-01-2018, 08:40 AM
I'm curious what the boost in FA draw becomes...Players already like Reid and having a ratings darling QB should be the final reason to take less in hopes of a SB.

Doesn't hurt, but I think the key is having said QB get at least one under their belt in addition to being a badass.

Chiefnj2
11-01-2018, 08:44 AM
It definitely has an effect on the team.

Look at the defense. They are so excited to watch Mahomes take the field and throw the ball that they are letting opposing teams score at will just so they can sit and watch him work his magic. Ron Parker is the president of the Mahomes fan club.

KChiefs1
11-01-2018, 08:52 AM

What would you consider him?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-01-2018, 09:24 AM
What would you consider him?

The natural successor to Troy Polamalu's 'Head and Shoulders' legacy of course!

Mama Hip Rockets
11-01-2018, 03:21 PM

ROFL

Mile High Mania
11-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Comparing Mahomes to Watson, when he is in a midst of a historic record breaking season, is nothing less than a slight in my eyes.

Watson is a middling QB with a shelf life of less than 5 years. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it out of his rookie deal. His National championship rub should be wearing off but guess some people take longer to see it.

Patrick is more accurate, better arm, just overall better talent. I think in the next two or three years he will be the best QB in the league, unless there is some hidden gem in college that no one knows about.

I'm quite certain a few would be disrespected with any comparison that I might make. I wasn't taking a shot at Mahomes. Watson was beasting last year through 8 games and prior to the injury.

This year, he's looking strong again. Dunno if I would say "middling QB" at this point, it's only 15 games and he has 34 TDs with an 8-7 record. Mahomes should crush that number at this pace... wonder what Watson might have done last year as he was on a similar pace. Mahomes' TD totals through 8 are pretty wild, that's the larger major difference between the two through their first 8 games.

Pitt Gorilla
11-01-2018, 03:39 PM
You should get your thoughts somewhere else. These are really bad.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-03-2018, 07:11 PM
I'm quite certain a few would be disrespected with any comparison that I might make. I wasn't taking a shot at Mahomes. Watson was beasting last year through 8 games and prior to the injury.

This year, he's looking strong again. Dunno if I would say "middling QB" at this point, it's only 15 games and he has 34 TDs with an 8-7 record. Mahomes should crush that number at this pace... wonder what Watson might have done last year as he was on a similar pace. Mahomes' TD totals through 8 are pretty wild, that's the larger major difference between the two through their first 8 games.
We know you would love to have him. Watson would look like a minor deity compared to the stable of utter garbage you are currently sporting in Denver.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Mahomes is no Alex Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Mahomes is no Alex Smith.
Isn't it great?