PDA

View Full Version : Computers IT pros - best job markets in the country?

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:20 AM
After 15 years with one of the larger IT employers in the country, I've been offered a voluntary package that would be pretty stupid to ignore.

That means, for the the first time in 15 years, I'm going to actively seek a new job.

My primary concern is working conditions followed closely by salary. I get paid very well for this part of the country and I work almost exclusively from home, however I often work very long hours without any relief or remorse.

I'm willing to relocate to where the jobs are in order to find a situation that meets my needs. So what say you guys, where are the places to be?

Molitoth
09-27-2018, 10:22 AM
So what function within IT is your expertise?

Predarat
09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Have not been in the job market in Nashville lately but a year, year and a half ago there was work to be had but mostly contract and temp kind of work. Nothing to draw me away from my permanent position with MEH pay but pretty good benefits. It may have improved since then, things can change a lot in a year.

TribalElder
09-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Take the buyout

Take a week off

Land another job

ptlyon
09-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Your DNS server still running bro?

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:28 AM
So what function within IT is your expertise?

Right now, I'm an integration architect doing complex solutions. So basically what I do is take engineering specs from different solution towers (e.g. UC, network, data center, infrastructure like SaaS and PaaS) and put them together into a cohesive solution.

In my role, I am responsible for nearly all parts of the pre-sale lifecycle - discovery, scoping, documentation, pricing, contract negotiations/legal, SOWs/SORs, technical design, personnel decisions.

And I'm used to working on big projects. Millions and even billions of dollars.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Take the buyout

Take a week off

Land another job

Well to be honest, I could take more than a week off.

My package is more than a year's salary and 45 weeks of extended medical coverage.

Like I said, I'd be stupid not to take it.

The Franchise
09-27-2018, 10:31 AM

My package is more than a year's salary and 45 weeks of extended medical coverage.

Nice, man. Take some time for you then.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:34 AM
Nice, man. Take some time for you then.

It's just scary. Like I said, it's been 15 years. I'm not a kid anymore like I was then.

And I'm easily a top wage earner in this part of country. It's almost guaranteed I'll have to move to find something comparable. I have two teenage girls that are going to be crushed...

O.city
09-27-2018, 10:36 AM
It's just scary. Like I said, it's been 15 years. I'm not a kid anymore like I was then.

And I'm easily a top wage earner in this part of country. It's almost guaranteed I'll have to move to find something comparable. I have two teenage girls that are going to be crushed...

Theres always something to be said about stability though. I'm sure it's tough to turn down the money, but man, uprooting teenagers can be tough.

eDave
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Phoenix. I can help you out.

The Franchise
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM

No possible way to stay where you are but work for an out of state company? At least until your girls are out of the house?

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Theres always something to be said about stability though. I'm sure it's tough to turn down the money, but man, uprooting teenagers can be tough.

Here's the issue.

It's a voluntary separation program. I didn't get laid off, I got asked if I would volunteer to get laid off.

Without divulging where I work, so did thousands of other people. In my job, I work across multiple lines of business and I'm pretty plugged in at the exec level. The stability is about to end. This separation program is the first step in a complete redesign of the business model, which means major upheaval.

There's probably even a strong chance that there's no place for me in the final organization and I could get laid off in 2 years, getting nothing at all but a thank you for my service.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Phoenix. I can help you out.

Arizona sounds really nice actually.

O.city
09-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Here's the issue.

It's a voluntary separation program. I didn't get laid off, I got asked if I would volunteer to get laid off.

Without divulging where I work, so did thousands of other people. In my job, I work across multiple lines of business and I'm pretty plugged in at the exec level. The stability is about to end. This separation program is the first step in a complete redesign of the business model, which means major upheaval.

There's probably even a strong chance that there's no place for me in the final organization and I could get laid off in 2 years, getting nothing at all but a thank you for my service.

Writing on the wall kind of thing huh?
Fuck that's tough.

If that's the case, I'd take it and do what you gotta do.

Simply Red
09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
which state are you located in, please?

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:45 AM
which state are you located in, please?

Iowania.

Would prefer to move south. Arizona, TX, Florida, maybe North Carolina (Research Triangle).

Iowanian
09-27-2018, 10:46 AM
I'd think with the addition of 2 major IT related companies in the central iowania area you'd have options there.....Silicon Prairie is a real thing too.

That might at least get you by until kids are out of school then you can make your leap to new adventures on the Oregon Trail.

Simply Red
09-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Okay well I work primarily with Managed Service Providers.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:50 AM
I'd think with the addition of 2 major IT related companies in the central iowania area you'd have options there.....Silicon Prairie is a real thing too.

That might at least get you by until kids are out of school then you can make your leap to new adventures on the Oregon Trail.

Those 2 companies built data centers. They're not really hiring people like me.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Okay well I work primarily with Managed Service Providers.

I work for one of the larger MSP's, although we provide a lot more than just managed services.

MahiMike
09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Why not take this opportunity to contract and travel around? If you're moving anyway...see the country. Go self employed, work 10 most a year, vacation 2?

I knew guys that did that and wished I wasn't so tied down.

Also the self employed route is much better on taxes.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Why not take this opportunity to contract and travel around? If you're moving anyway...see the country. Go self employed, work 10 most a year, vacation 2?

I knew guys that did that and wished I wasn't so tied down.

Also the self employed route is much better on taxes.

Worried that the health insurance would kill me.

Simply Red
09-27-2018, 10:54 AM
I work for one of the larger MSP's, although we provide a lot more than just managed services.

oh okay - yeah I'm working for a manufacturer of tools for Remote-monitoring/Secure-access and QoE

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:56 AM
oh okay - yeah I'm working for a manufacturer of tools for Remote-monitoring/Secure-access and QoE

Sent you a PM.

Ming the Merciless
09-27-2018, 10:57 AM
good luck man!! I know you'll do great...

If you end up coming to california, rent for a couple of years...I think house prices will fall. Its probably a good time to move, in all honesty. I feel there will be another housing market correction in many parts of the country over the next few years

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 10:59 AM
good luck man!! I know you'll do great...

If you end up coming to california, rent for a couple of years...I think house prices will fall. Its probably a good time to move, in all honesty. I feel there will be another housing market correction in many parts of the country over the next few years

Not sure I could handle Cali, especially the Bay Area, but yeah, there's a lot of jobs there...

The Franchise
09-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Not sure I could handle Cali, especially the Bay Area, but yeah, there's a lot of jobs there...

You would have to deal with Pawn and myself. LMAO

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 11:01 AM
You would have to deal with Pawn and myself. LMAO

That's the part I COULD handle, actually. LOL

TribalElder
09-27-2018, 11:02 AM

Take it ASAP

By only taking a week off you can bank almost all of your severance

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Take it ASAP

By only taking a week off you can bank almost all of your severance

Kind of how I see it. If I can get a job in the first month or so, it would be like working 2 jobs for the bulk of 2019.

Not that I'm not essentially working two jobs now at almost 90 hours a week. :(

eDave
09-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Arizona sounds really nice actually.

Salt Lake City seems like a good market. We went into a company there and took over control of all of their IT. We took on all their support resources as part of the deal. But most moved on and found new employment rather quickly.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Salt Lake City seems like a good market. We went into a company there and took over control of all of their IT. We took on all their support resources as part of the deal. But most moved on and found new employment rather quickly.

Eww, winters... ;)

Trivers
09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Get projects on upwork.com while you decide. I'm currently using 7 freelancers and but one works from home. You may be fortunate to build a work from home business and stay where you are.

Also start promoting yourself on LinkedIn. Working with recruiters, you may find that perfect stay at home job.

You have the revenue stream for the next 9 months; so you are in a nice position.

Fish
09-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Not familiar with that type of work in regards to IT. But I'd start with LinkedIn.

BigRedChief
09-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Ive worked remotely doing I.T architect work for 4/5 years now. You might check into that and still stay where your family is happy.

eDave
09-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Ive worked remotely doing I.T architect work for 4/5 years now. You might check into that and still stay where your family is happy.

Nearly every person I work with in this field work from home.

RunKC
09-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Nearly every person I work with in this field work from home.

Are you still a PM Dave? If so I have questions for you

BigRedChief
09-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Nearly every person I work with in this field work from home.yeah, as long as you have broadband, can do Skype calls, presentations etc. your golden.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 11:59 AM

I'd be interested in knowing how you went about finding such a job. I worked my way into mine and have like no modern job hunting experience.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 12:00 PM
yeah, as long as you have broadband, can do Skype calls, presentations etc. your golden.

I do those things multiple times a day.

eDave
09-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Are you still a PM Dave? If so I have questions for you

I've moved up. I'm a Delivery Manager now. Same game though, just at a higher level and bigger decisions. And some travel.

AMA.

BigRedChief
09-27-2018, 12:03 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how you went about finding such a job. I worked my way into mine and have like no modern job hunting experience.pm me

dirk digler
09-27-2018, 12:04 PM
I am ok working from home every once in awhile but there is just to many distractions for me so I prefer to go into work and lock the door.

As far as your question goes KC has a pretty good IT market.

eDave
09-27-2018, 12:06 PM
I am ok working from home every once in awhile but there is just to many distractions for me so I prefer to go into work and lock the door.

As far as your question goes KC has a pretty good IT market.

I have my days man. Then I go into an office and I can't get out of there fast enough.

So many freedoms though. And with smartphones and Outlook app, I don't even have to be home.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 12:09 PM
I have my days man. Then I go into an office and I can't get out of there fast enough.

So many freedoms though. And with smartphones and Outlook app, I don't even have to be home.

There's no way I could do my job from an office. I'd be rollercoaster-ing between sitting there with nothing to do and never being home - mostly never being home.

I work 12-16 hours a day most times but when I'm in between jobs, I can do yard work and stuff.

BigRedChief
09-27-2018, 12:11 PM

As far as your question goes KC has a pretty good IT market.for me the office is a distraction. Too many drive-bys.

RunKC
09-27-2018, 12:13 PM
I've moved up. I'm a Delivery Manager now. Same game though, just at a higher level and bigger decisions. And some travel.

AMA.

Damn that’s a similar path to what I want to do in the future. Do you work remote?

BigRedChief
09-27-2018, 12:16 PM

AMA.and I knew you when you were a peon. What can you do for me now? Asking for a friend.

eDave
09-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Damn that’s a similar path to what I want to do in the future. Do you work remote?

I am 100% remote, unless I am traveling to client.

the path is Project Administrator --> Project Manager --> Account PMO Manager --> Delivery Manager

I skipped the Account PMO step.

Haven't we spoken about this before? I can get you your PMP, if you got the hours.

Let's talk offline as to not derail this thread. I'll PM my digits.

dirk digler
09-27-2018, 12:30 PM

There's no way I could do my job from an office. I'd be rollercoaster-ing between sitting there with nothing to do and never being home - mostly never being home.

I work 12-16 hours a day most times but when I'm in between jobs, I can do yard work and stuff.

for me the office is a distraction. Too many drive-bys.

That is why I lock the doors and turn my phone on DND :D

At home I have the nice comfy couch in front of my TV, food to make me fat and my dog that is like a toddler and feels like he needs to be given attention all the time.

eDave
09-27-2018, 12:35 PM
That is why I lock the doors and turn my phone on DND :D

At home I have the nice comfy couch in front of my TV, food to make me fat and my dog that is like a toddler and feels like he needs to be given attention all the time.

We've got a guy who is always somewhere different. Nearly every week. He could be in Helsinky one week, then like Berlin the next, and so one. He just travels and works from there. We never know where he is going to be. But he makes meetings and gets his job done.

He makes a lot of dough.

Saulbadguy
09-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Here's the issue.

Wells Fargo, huh?

Saulbadguy
09-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Research Triangle area is tech heavy and a relatively low cost of living compared to places like the Pac-NW, east coast, etc.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Wells Fargo, huh?

Negative.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Research Triangle area is tech heavy and a relatively low cost of living compared to places like the Pac-NW, east coast, etc.

Yep.

suzzer99
09-27-2018, 01:14 PM
LA is pretty good. Huge demand right now. High cost of living but nothing like NYC or SF. Perfect weather - every year-round outdoor activity you can imagine. Traffic sucks - but just live close to where you work and it's fine.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 01:30 PM
LA is pretty good. Huge demand right now. High cost of living but nothing like NYC or SF. Perfect weather - every year-round outdoor activity you can imagine. Traffic sucks - but just live close to where you work and it's fine.

Yeah, there's just no way I could do LA.

dirk digler
09-27-2018, 01:42 PM
We've got a guy who is always somewhere different. Nearly every week. He could be in Helsinky one week, then like Berlin the next, and so one. He just travels and works from there. We never know where he is going to be. But he makes meetings and gets his job done.

He makes a lot of dough.

Can I have that job? :)

Buehler445
09-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Worried that the health insurance would kill me.

Does your wife work? My like would be far different if she wasn’t providing health coverage.

You should consider self employment. I have no idea what you but the new tax rules could be beneficial and the health coverage (even if it is your wife’s plan) is deductible as long as your MFJ.

Then depending on structure you can shed SE tax with an S Corp.

Home office deductions and work related expenses are deductible now that probably won’t be as an employee (moving forward it is going to be much more difficult to itemize where unreimbursed employee expenses are taken), mileage, phones, whatever else you use can be deducted.

I’m sure you know but deductions don’t equal free, they just equate to not taxes. If you’re spending the money anyway, you’re saving your effective tax rate, which at your income rate could be 40% or so.

You should talk to a CPA and at least run the numbers if it’s workable with your job. Some of the savings might offset health insurance. Then you’re working for you.

If we are being honest it would be a tough ask for me to go back to work for someone else. And I’m saying this during my busy/stressful time of the year.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Does your wife work? My like would be far different if she wasn’t providing health coverage.

You should consider self employment. I have no idea what you but the new tax rules could be beneficial and the health coverage (even if it is your wife’s plan) is deductible as long as your MFJ.

Then depending on structure you can shed SE tax with an S Corp.

Home office deductions and work related expenses are deductible now that probably won’t be as an employee (moving forward it is going to be much more difficult to itemize where unreimbursed employee expenses are taken), mileage, phones, whatever else you use can be deducted.

I’m sure you know but deductions don’t equal free, they just equate to not taxes. If you’re spending the money anyway, you’re saving your effective tax rate, which at your income rate could be 40% or so.

You should talk to a CPA and at least run the numbers if it’s workable with your job. Some of the savings might offset health insurance. Then you’re working for you.

If we are being honest it would be a tough ask for me to go back to work for someone else. And I’m saying this during my busy/stressful time of the year.

My wife doesn't work.

But to be honest, I have the best of both worlds right now. I basically have the freedom of working for myself but the safety net of working for a "household name" corporation.

MahiMike
09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Stay out of Jacksonville. We have too many folks moving here as it is. JK.

Jax has always been the working man's town of Florida. Lotsa jobs here...

Perineum Ripper
09-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Isn’t Austin and Dallas really big into the Tech world right now? I thought I read something about lots of tech jobs in California going to TX

eDave
09-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Isn’t Austin and Dallas really big into the Tech world right now? I thought I read something about lots of tech jobs in California going to TX

Yes. But they are in Texas.

scho63
09-27-2018, 03:20 PM
Right now, I'm an integration architect doing complex solutions. So basically what I do is take engineering specs from different solution towers (e.g. UC, network, data center, infrastructure like SaaS and PaaS) and put them together into a cohesive solution.

In my role, I am responsible for nearly all parts of the pre-sale lifecycle - discovery, scoping, documentation, pricing, contract negotiations/legal, SOWs/SORs, technical design, personnel decisions.

And I'm used to working on big projects. Millions and even billions of dollars.

Ashburn VA all the data centers there and 75-80% of the World's internet traffic flows through there.

Buehler445
09-27-2018, 03:22 PM
My wife doesn't work.

But to be honest, I have the best of both worlds right now. I basically have the freedom of working for myself but the safety net of working for a "household name" corporation.

Right now. Your next gig may not be as equitable.

All I’m saying is don’t write it off.

In theory, if your skills are transferable and not overly reliant on the overhead provided by the company, you should be able to work as a contractor and keep what your making and pocket their share.

That’s overly utopian because you give up administrative efficiency, there is market inefficiency, and a host of other variables that could affect the economics of your system but the fact remains, moving forward it could be a more equitable system

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Hey. Texas is awesome! No state taxes.

Buehler445
09-27-2018, 03:23 PM

ROFL

MahiMike
09-27-2018, 04:00 PM

In theory, if your skills are transferable and not overly reliant on the overhead provided by the company, you should be able to work as a contractor and keep what your making and pocket their share.

That’s overly utopian because you give up administrative efficiency, there is market inefficiency, and a host of other variables that could affect the economics of your system but the fact remains, moving forward it could be a more equitable system

You said what I said but more elegantly. If I was in his shoes I'd definitely take the opportunity to explore the country while contracting.

His situation is like getting divorced after 15 years. Don't run out and get married again. Date around. Explore.

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Ashburn VA all the data centers there and 75-80% of the World's internet traffic flows through there.

I'm intimately familiar with the Ashburn area but can't really say why or how... ;)

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 05:58 PM

Texas was on my list. ;)

htismaqe
09-27-2018, 05:59 PM

The problem is that my wife has a chronic illness. Like I said before, insurance can be a real backbreaker.

Other than that, contracting work may or may not be easy to come by. With what I do, there's a lot of "institutional knowledge" so I generally oversee contractors rather than the other way around.

scho63
09-28-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm intimately familiar with the Ashburn area but can't really say why or how... ;)

It's not the cheapest area and if you do something silly like get a job and have to drive around the 495 Beltway everyday you are nuts. However, it's the BEST job market in the US and 11 of the top 21 highest per capita incomes all ring Wash DC, with Loudoun County, Ashburn dead center of the county, being #1 and Fairfax next door being #2.

There is a TON to do: 60-70 wineries withing 30-45 miles, huge museums and great ethnic restaurants everywhere including many free things like the National Zoo, sports teams (you can still watch Alex Smith live during football season), boating, gambling, hiking, biking, and so much more.

I love the Northern VA area.

Bugeater
09-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Eww, winters... ;)
Why does that matter? Sounds like you never get to leave the house anyway...

htismaqe
09-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Why does that matter? Sounds like you never get to leave the house anyway...

Well there was a day when I got outside once in a while and it seems like lately I'm busiest in the summer and early fall. I think it's because my primary customer's fiscal year ends in September, so they're doing everything they can to zero their budget over the summer.

58-4ever
09-29-2018, 08:03 PM
We should chat. Sounds like you’re a consultant of some sort? I just moved from Consulting to a large tech firm. Good work getting a year!

lewdog
09-29-2018, 08:19 PM
eDave IS a somebody. I can tell you that.

Message him.

Codered
09-30-2018, 08:05 AM
The problem is that my wife has a chronic illness. Like I said before, insurance can be a real backbreaker.

Other than that, contracting work may or may not be easy to come by. With what I do, there's a lot of "institutional knowledge" so I generally oversee contractors rather than the other way around.

19 year IT vet in the KC market here... I know quite a bit of contact in the industry if you do look this way. I have never looked outside of the KC market. I just took a new CIO role not that long ago and do CRM Architecture consulting for a few clients on the side still. However, like you benefits for my family play a major part in my negotiations.

If I can help let me know.

Wishing you the best!

ptlyon
09-30-2018, 08:15 AM
19 year IT vet in the KC market here... I know quite a bit of contact in the industry if you do look this way. I have never looked outside of the KC market. I just took a new CIO role not that long ago and do CRM Architecture consulting for a few clients on the side still. However, like you benefits for my family play a major part in my negotiations.

If I can help let me know.

Wishing you the best!

Post MOAR