PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos LB Von Miller, Chiefs OT Mitchell Schwartz set to renew friendly rivalry

vailpass
09-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Just this one time I'll bite from the Athletic...

KANSAS​ CITY,​ Mo.​ — The​ dynamic and​ respected outside​ linebacker took​ off​ his​ jersey. He exchanged​ the​ grass-stained​ garment​ for​​ a similarly grass-stained jersey from an opposing consistent and respected right tackle.

In their careers, Broncos ‘backer Von Miller and Chiefs offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz have faced each other six times. The mutual admiration between the two players reached a high point in their fourth meeting, a game on Christmas Day in 2016 at Arrowhead Stadium. Schwartz played a major role in Kansas City’s 33-10 win over Denver that night, keeping Miller, one of the league’s elite pass rushers, from recording a sack.

After the game, Miller, also one of the NFL’s most charismatic defenders, asked Schwartz for his No. 71 jersey.

“Mitchell is a great player, and I have a lot of respect for him,” Miller said Thursday in a teleconference. “He’s the best right tackle in the AFC West. It’s always a good matchup. He’s athletic, and he’s strong. He’s got everything you want.”

Schwartz, who has never missed a snap (6,540 total) in his seven-year career, appreciates Miller’s praise. He also described his preparation for Miller this week as “stressful.”

The seventh meeting between Schwartz and Miller could be one of the biggest matchups to watch in a Monday night tilt that could play a key part in deciding which team wins the AFC West this season. The Chiefs are back-t0-back division champions and have beaten the Broncos the past five meetings. In those games, Miller, a six-time Pro Bowler, has collected just four sacks. Schwartz, meanwhile, has been close to flawless in the last three games, shutting out Miller.

“He affects games in so many ways,” Schwartz said of Miller. “I think people have come to realize that sacks aren’t the greatest barometer of how good a guy is rushing. When you understand that and the challenge, the competition is great, and it’s always good to go against him.

“We both understand that you just go out there and do the best you can. You know you’re going to get a hard day’s work, and he’s not into doing cheap stuff.”

The most recent battle between Miller and Schwartz was in the regular-season finale last season, when quarterback Patrick Mahomes made his first career start. Mahomes didn’t throw a touchdown pass, but he led the Chiefs to a last-second win. He evaded Miller’s grasp a few times when Miller beat Schwartz on passing plays.

This season, Mahomes has felt comfortable in the pocket, which has helped him produce an NFL-record 13 touchdown passes in the Chiefs’ first three games. In his first primetime start, Mahomes expects Miller to harass him in the backfield at least a few times. Mahomes plans to account for where Miller is on the field before receiving the ball from center Mitch Morse each play.

“They move him around and try to get him different ways that he can rush the passer and make plays,” Mahomes said of Miller. “They have weapons all over the defensive front. You always know where Von is, but you have to have a plan for their whole defense.”

Denver’s defense could be the Chiefs’ toughest challenge yet. The Broncos are fourth in the league against the run and second in allowing just 3.3 rushing yards per attempt. Broncos coach Vance Joseph wants his team to get an early lead, forcing the Chiefs to play from behind, which has yet to occur this season.

Such a scenario could give Miller more chances to rush by Schwartz and chase Mahomes. The Chiefs plan to respond by establishing the run behind running back Kareem Hunt, who has yet to rush for 100 or more yards in a game this season.

“You really want that lead just to keep them out of that (pass-rush) situation, something their defense particularly thrives on,” Schwartz said. “When their offense is rolling and they’re able to get up by 10 or 14 points, they just let those guys go to work. That’s not a fun situation. With a team like this, you want to keep it within that manageable score just so you can keep some semblance of balance on offense.”

The last time the Chiefs played a primetime game in Denver was two years ago, when Miller produced his best performance against Schwartz and the Chiefs by recording three sacks.

Late in the fourth quarter in that Nov. 27, 2016, game, the Chiefs trailed the Broncos by eight points. On their final drive of regulation, Schwartz held his ground against Miller as the Chiefs methodically moved the ball downfield. Schwartz stonewalled Miller on the final play of the drive, a three-yard passing touchdown from former Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith to receiver Tyreek Hill.

“What works in the offense’s advantage is if you’re able to get to the fifth or sixth play (of the drive),” Schwartz said. “It is more tiring to pass-rush than it is to pass-block. Those guys tend to get tired if you’re able to have a successful two-minute drive.”

The Chiefs won the game on a last-second field goal from former kicker Cairo Santos.

“That was probably one of my best memories in football,” said right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, who has blocked Miller on plenty of plays, including when the Broncos use stunts. “When you go into a loud stadium like that, that’s what you want to do. We want to repeat that. A game like this is really where we’re going to be challenged.”

Despite the Chiefs’ 3-0 record, Schwartz anticipates Monday’s game will be close. He hopes to excel against Miller, who wants to reinsert his dominance over the Chiefs.

Schwartz said he and Miller don’t say a word to one another during their battles. They grunt and try to overmatch the other with toughness and hand techniques. When Monday’s game ends, however, the two players will find one another. They’ll wish each other good luck for the rest of the season and best of health. And less than a month later, they’ll do the same thing again as the Broncos head to Arrowhead Stadium on Oct. 28.

Schwartz acknowledged he doesn’t have many game-worn jerseys from other players in the league. He’s proud to have one from Miller.

“You kind of want that for future generations to see,” Schwartz said. “That’s a cool one to have.”

https://theathletic.com/553540/2018/09/27/broncos-lb-von-miller-chiefs-ot-mitchell-schwartz-set-to-renew-friendly-rivalry-in-chiefs-broncos-showdown/

New World Order
09-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Watch your knees Mitchell...

And your wallet.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
It reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones and that psychopathic villain in No Country For Old Men.

loochy
09-28-2018, 02:02 PM
It reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones and that psychopathic villain in No Country For Old Men.

Call it, friend-o. Heads or tails?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Maybe its in the article as i just skimmed it but I don't think Von has a sack on us last 3 games. can anyone verify?

Coochie liquor
09-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Aside from the murders, and the violating the substance abuse policy, and then trying to cheat the drug test he ended up having to take, and the cheap shots, and the late hits, and the cheating.... I like Von. Wish he didn’t play for Dungver!

Reerun_KC
09-28-2018, 02:34 PM
I would trade both dee fraud and broken Houston for Von Miller every day of the week. Superior athlete over either of those guys.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-28-2018, 02:36 PM
I would trade both dee fraud and broken Houston for Von Miller every day of the week. Superior athlete over either of those guys.

And throw in Earl thomas

In58men
09-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Houston had a decent game against SF.

Maybe he’s coming around.

Best22
09-28-2018, 02:46 PM

I'd trade Steven Nelson for Chris Harris as well

And trade Sutton for both of their safeties

And trade our last division title for one of their SBs

Best22
09-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Houston is still good. I think he'd be better as a no.2 pass rusher, not the "main guy."

Reerun_KC
09-28-2018, 02:59 PM

Around to what?

Reerun_KC
09-28-2018, 02:59 PM
I'd trade Steven Nelson for Chris Harris as well

And trade Sutton for both of their safeties

And trade our last division title for one of their SBs

QFT.....

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Around to what?

Around the right tackle, I hope.

saphojunkie
09-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Don't repost full articles from pay sites, man. They are selling a service, the same as a farmer selling a crop. It's not yours to give away.

saphojunkie
09-28-2018, 03:57 PM

:facepalm:

Buehler445
09-28-2018, 08:32 PM
Fuck Donk Forever.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Miller hasn't had a sack against the Chiefs in the last three meetings.

Schwartz owns him.

vailpass
09-28-2018, 09:19 PM
Miller hasn't had a sack against the Chiefs in the last three meetings.

Schwartz owns him.

You know you’re a damn good o-lineman when the best pass rusher in the league asks to trade jerseys with you.

MVChiefFan
09-29-2018, 07:32 AM
You know you’re a damn good o-lineman when the best pass rusher in the league asks to trade jerseys with you.

Oh, did Khalil Mack trade jerseys with Schwartz, too? I did not know that, very cool!

:D

patteeu
09-29-2018, 07:47 AM
Don't repost full articles from pay sites, man. They are selling a service, the same as a farmer selling a crop. It's not yours to give away.

There's no difference in that regard between pay sites and ad-driven sites.

vailpass
09-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Oh, did Khalil Mack trade jerseys with Schwartz, too? I did not know that, very cool!

:D

:D Mack is a bad man, no doubt.

vailpass
09-29-2018, 09:41 AM

I’ll do what I want when I want with anything I pay for.
I make it a point not to bite from my pay sites as I noted in the OP but that’s my choice.
Posting the occasional article serves the purpose of exposing non subscribers to the quality of the product thus functioning as advertising for the site.