PDA

View Full Version : Football Supersong Tournament: Round 1, Heat 1.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Okay, we're getting started on the Super Bowl Halftime Band Tournament, which for due credit was proposed by luv - I'm just her blunt tool for implementation.

We've got 55 current acts that were proposed under the rules. (If you didn't post the tour dates, you were at our mercy for whether we included your group or not.)

In Round One, I'll put the nominees up in random clumps of five, and you'll pick the TWO musical acts that you would most like, or least hate, to see on the world's biggest stage as the Chiefs face some NFC team next year. In subsequent rounds this system may evolve.

The rules are more are less non-existent. Lobby for anyone you like, post videos for us, and make any arguments against totally insipid groups and rappers. Convince us one way or the other.

So without further ado, I present to you...Heat 1!

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Blunt tool... Blunt tool... Splendid, splendid...

eDave
09-28-2018, 12:52 PM
None of the above.

TLO
09-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Lil Pump because LMAO

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:16 PM
I listened to two recent songs from each group, and went with:

Kansas - Not really the type of band to do a high-energy Super Bowl show, but everyone knows their most famous songs and likes them. They'd do the famous songs instead of their lesser-known stuff that doesn't measure up.

Jimmy Buffet - Again, not really a Super Bowl band, but I think they could make it work for ten minutes.

My non-finalists were...

Metallica - They could do it, but they're too hard core for my tastes.
Zebrahead - Not terrible. I could see it. But some parts of the songs I listened to got a little too close to rap for my comfort.
Lil Pump - One of the better rappers I've ever heard, which means he's still in the bottom two percent of musical acts.

TLO
09-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Lil Pump - One of the better rappers I've ever heard, .

Is this a joke?

ModSocks
09-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Ughhh....do i really HAVE to pick two? Fuck that. I'm not.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Is this a joke?

I'm not sure.

What's his reputation? I listened to two songs. They were terrible, but all rap is terrible and they seemed less terrible than most rap.

ptlyon
Most fucked up poll in the history of cp

Rain Man
Ughhh....do i really HAVE to pick two? **** that. I'm not.

I guess I should say 'up to two'. You can pick the least objectionable one if they're all objectionable.

alpha_omega
Kansas and Metallica

'cause i don't care much for Buffett and don't know who the other two are.

ModSocks
09-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Lil Pump - One of the better rappers I've ever heard, which means he's still in the bottom two percent of musical acts.

Not sure if serious.

Not only is this guy an awful gimmick, he's a complete fucking dick bag. Even for a rapper. If rappers are dick bags, this guy is the dick bag among all dick bags.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Most ****ed up poll in the history of cp

It's luv's fault.

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Sorry. Not pointing fault, just saying.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Not sure if serious.

Not only is this guy an awful gimmick, he's a complete ****ing dick bag. Even for a rapper. If rappers are dick bags, this guy is the dick bag among all dick bags.

So...he's not a good rapper? I'm not an expert in deciphering rap.

Dartgod
09-28-2018, 01:24 PM
How, in God's name, is Kansas beating Jimmy Buffett?

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 01:25 PM
So...he's not a good rapper? I'm not an expert in deciphering rap.

I think the less you understand it, the better it is. And the more N words and cop killing references, the better.

eDave
09-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Miracle out of nowhere.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:28 PM
I think the less you understand it, the better it is. And the more N words and cop killing references, the better.

I couldn't make out any cop killing, but I swear I saw Charlie Sheen in one of the videos. That bought him some credibility.

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 01:28 PM

You're, like, right around Kansas. So duh.

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 01:29 PM
I couldn't make out any cop killing, but I swear I saw Charlie Sheen in one of the videos. That bought him some credibility.

Then I'd vote for him too. If I were to vote.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:29 PM
You're, like, right around Kansas. So duh.

It'll also troll the Super Bowl viewers who will assume it's because the Chiefs are in Kansas.

eDave
09-28-2018, 01:31 PM
It'll also troll the Super Bowl viewers who will assume it's because the Chiefs are in Kansas.

Oh man. Don't start that shit.

Molitoth
09-28-2018, 01:32 PM
The moral of the story is that someone needs to get Rainman a few good rap tracks.

lil pump, lil yachty, lil xan, lil wayne, lil toe, lil 69 face..... basically anyone with "lil" in their name besides "lil dicky" is a complete disgrace.

Speaking of lil dicky... some good stuff there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AOgBg2up7Jg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
09-28-2018, 01:37 PM
I listened to two recent songs from each group, and went with:

Kansas - Not really the type of band to do a high-energy Super Bowl show, but everyone knows their most famous songs and likes them. They'd do the famous songs instead of their lesser-known stuff that doesn't measure up.

Y'know - I used to think this about most of the big time late 70s and early 80s 'arena rock' bands. Then I spoke with more people outside of the midwest who hadn't ever heard of folks like REO Speedwagon. Some hadn't heard of Boston, let alone Kansas.

Are we really all that sure that as many folks know who Kansas is as we think? I kinda thought maybe we were just living in a midwestern 'Camarohead' bubble...

The Franchise
09-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Who the fuck nominated lil pump?

ptlyon
09-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Y'know - I used to think this about most of the big time late 70s and early 80s 'arena rock' bands. Then I spoke with more people outside of the midwest who hadn't ever heard of folks like REO Speedwagon. Some hadn't heard of Boston, let alone Kansas.

Are we really all that sure that as many folks know who Kansas is as we think? I kinda thought maybe we were just living in a midwestern 'Camarohead' bubble...

You were talking to illegal aliens I would bet

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:45 PM
The moral of the story is that someone needs to get Rainman a few good rap tracks.

lil pump, lil xan, lil wayne, lil toe, lil 69 face..... basically anyone with "lil" in their name besides "lil dicky" is a complete disgrace.

Speaking of lil dicky... some good stuff there.

I will remember this as a rule of thumb.

Glancing through the nominees, I see three other Lil rappers. They make up almost ten percent of all nominees.

Graystoke
09-28-2018, 01:46 PM
I suggest you nuke this poll and try again

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:48 PM

How is such a thing even possible?

I can perhaps see a younger person being less familiar with Kansas and REO Speedwagon, because their primes were very high but pretty short. But Boston? Being unfamiliar with Boston is like being unfamiliar with the Beatles or Beethoven. People will be playing Boston 500 years from now.

carcosa
09-28-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure.

What's his reputation? I listened to two songs. They were terrible, but all rap is terrible and they seemed less terrible than most rap.

Middle aged white dude alert

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Middle aged white dude alert

And proud of it as I sit here listening to Sweet Home Alabama, which is real music.

carcosa
09-28-2018, 02:09 PM
And proud of it as I sit here listening to Sweet Home Alabama, which is real music.

Lol

Rap is just so broad and varied that to dismiss it entirely is ignorant. It's like saying all shapes are bad

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Lol

Rap is just so broad and varied that to dismiss it entirely is ignorant. It's like saying all shapes are bad

Crocodile attacks are also broad and varied.

carcosa
09-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Hmm, not really. I think they generally all involve teeth and biting. If they had opposable thumbs and knew how to use weapons you might have a point.

Coochie liquor
09-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Typical me, I didn’t read the directions and in doing so only voted for one. Jimmy Buffet got my one vote! Woulda voted Metallica if I realized there were 2 choices!

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Hmm, not really. I think they generally all involve teeth and biting. If they had opposable thumbs and knew how to use weapons you might have a point.

Are we still talking about crocodile attacks or are we back on rap?

carcosa
09-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Are we still talking about crocodile attacks or are we back on rap?

Is the joke here that rappers don't have thumbs...?

eDave
09-28-2018, 02:21 PM

Rappers don't have dads.

Molitoth
09-28-2018, 02:24 PM

In the case of the Atlanta Falcons, rappers won't be found in facility stairwells.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Rappers don't have dads.

Or musical talent.

eDave
09-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Or musical talent.

I respect the craft. Just can't listen to it.

ClevelandBronco
09-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Only one in this heat: Kansas

And I haven't heard them in damn near four decades, so I'm not even sure about that pick.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Only one in this heat: Kansas

And I haven't heard them in damn near four decades, so I'm not even sure about that pick.

Do yourself a favor and don't go to youtube for a recent concert. I just did that and regret it.

ClevelandBronco
09-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Because Jimmy Fucking Buffett is a dickless act whose target audience is lame ass accountants and their wives that didn't have the balls to use real drugs and become Deadheads.

Rain Man
09-28-2018, 03:03 PM
I respect the craft. Just can't listen to it.

Yeah, maybe that's the right attitude. There are all sorts of weird hobbies that I have no interest in, but that's fine if people want to do them as long as they don't bother me with them. If rap music wasn't performed publicly I would merely view it in the same vein as people who collect kites or play-act old episodes of Full House.

EPodolak
09-28-2018, 03:05 PM
I want in on this, i'm usually watching animal planet during halftime though.

Eleazar
09-28-2018, 03:09 PM
I'd rather Shawn Barber was up there rapping than watch any of those

ClevelandBronco
09-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't go to youtube for a recent concert. I just did that and regret it.

Well, that just ensured that I'd do it.

It actually wasn't as bad as I feared.

rocknrolla
09-28-2018, 03:33 PM
Kansas and Metallica

'cause i don't care much for Buffett and don't know who the other two are.

This. I remember seeing Kansas at I think it was called the Spirit Fest in '89 for free.

Simply Red
09-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Metallica - because of This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Dfo4zDduI)

Kansas - because of This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0)

Jimmy Buffet is the most overrated singer I've ever witnessed on planet earth!

Simply Red
09-28-2018, 03:53 PM

because Kansas has a little talent.

Simply Red
09-28-2018, 03:53 PM
no offense of course

eDave
09-28-2018, 03:55 PM
because Kansas has a little talent.

Those cat's are real talented. Especially Kerry.

Play this at the damned Superbowl (Magmum Opus):

https://youtu.be/cSU4rmeWK38?t=2120

Simply Red
09-28-2018, 04:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VVdafyKRm2s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
09-28-2018, 04:09 PM

ugh

Nzoner
09-30-2018, 06:26 AM

I get and appreciate the whole music for the masses thing but as a music lover who wants to listen to a bands complete library I disagree with takes like,"stuff that doesn't measure up."

Kansas for instance has B-side material I much prefer listening to over Carry on Wayward Son and Dust In The Wind etc.

I realize the B-side stuff wouldn't be Super Bowl favorites but just wanted to say this as so many bands have,IMO,better songs than their hits when you take the time to really listen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eIHXhFJ4FoM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rasputin
09-30-2018, 12:40 PM
GWAR doing Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o7EVersJ6ts" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
09-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Metallica and Kansas move on to Round Two.

Jimmy Buffett came close, but cut his foot on a pop top and had to cruise on back home.

luv
10-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Most ****ed up poll in the history of cp

It's luv's fault.

Sorry. Not pointing fault, just saying.

The poll is only as good as the nominations. This is a poll of the people, for the people, and by the people. :)

That said, this round did have some pretty dismal options.