PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 400 games for Mitch Holthus with the Chiefs

CupidStunt
10-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Huge shoutout. I love this guy as much as any player we've ever had. He legitimately played a part in my becoming a fan of the team. He is by FAR the best radio guy in the league, providing the most hype and the most excitement.

He's a diehard fan just like every one of us, who suffers through the bad and goes crazy with the good, but somehow, despite all the disappointments, he finds a way to treat every season, every game, as if we're Super Bowl-bound.

Fuck yeah, Mitch! :clap:

Trivers
10-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Amen!

TwistedChief
10-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Completely on board.

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
He’s a diehard homer. Used to be the best in the Biz. But the over use of nicknames and horrific cliches while calling the game is knocking him down a notch.

Love his excitement miss the professionalism of calling the games vs being a sideshow.

TLO
PUT. THE. HAMMER. DOWN!!!

gblowfish
He was a mess on the air last night. I know Dan Israel, the producer of the radio broadcasts because I used to work with him when he had a recording studio over by Crown Center. He's a cancer survivor and a great guy. Also used to work with an engineer named Nate Wetmore that's on the crew. It's a thankless job. Long hours, lots of boring travel, lots of time away from home. The Chiefs have been blessed to have a number of great announcers over the years. Kevin Harlan was before Mitch. Mitch is a real Kansas and Missouri guy. He's been to probably every small town in both states at one time or another. He loves his job, and is a genuinely good guy. Hope he stays with the Chiefs for awhile longer. I wish the Chiefs would have snagged Trent Green to replace Dawson instead of Kendall Gammon, but that's just me. Green has a network gig with CBS now, just like Kevin Harlan does.

CupidStunt
10-02-2018, 11:26 AM
He’s a diehard homer. Used to be the best in the Biz. But the over use of nicknames and horrific cliches while calling the game is knocking him down a notch.

Love his excitement miss the professionalism of calling the games vs being a sideshow.

shut up

CupidStunt
10-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Would you rather this SOB when the opposing team scores?

p3QntKA9lOA

Deberg_1990
10-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Sweet nectar of the Endzone!

Titty Meat
10-02-2018, 11:48 AM

You are a miserable person

Prison Bitch
10-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Mitch was never "the best in the business"

Harlan was way better

CoMoChief
10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Harlan was the fuckin' man.

Holtus does a fine job, always knows his shit, has his notes, does his hw. Even when he does other games from local schools, he still does a good job. Kind of oversells stuff more than he should, but that's what a radio guy has to do.

His puns and nicknames are a little too much/goofy at times. But so are Chris Berman's, and nobody complains about his fatass...except maybe for the last few yrs because that dude is seriously off his rocker at times.

Rasputin
10-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Deserves have his name in the Chiefs Ring of Fame

carcosa
10-02-2018, 12:27 PM
I think he's borderline unlistenable.

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 12:28 PM
You are a miserable person

Billay

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Mitch was never "the best in the business"

Harlan was way better

I still enjoy Mitch. Listen to every game either live or a day later... even when I know the outcome he still can get you pumped. He just needs to slow down on the goofiness... it’s kinda overplayed.

Otter
10-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I like Mitch so much I'll give him a pass on ... "The Centaur". :shake:

displacedinMN
10-02-2018, 12:38 PM
I was listening last night. He was a mess coming out of commercials. But he deserved the accolades they gave him.

After Harlan-I was skeptical. But he has made the job his and does a great job. Better than any of the idiots on TV.

ping2000
10-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Can za city drives me nuts, along with Cintaur, but OK I guess.

FAX
10-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Mitch is great, IMO.

Especially when you compare him to other radio play-by-play guys. Holthus knows this team so well it makes a huge difference, too.

Actually, I'd love to have a beer with Mitch some day.

FAX

thestickboy
10-02-2018, 02:04 PM

I hate to use my yearly post for this. Especially since the consensus seems to like Mitch. His call is awful. It is literally impossible to follow at times.

mlyonsd
10-02-2018, 02:36 PM
The 'Put the hammer down' thing could be stopped sooner rather than later.

CupidStunt
10-02-2018, 02:37 PM
I should add for the record, I never actually listen to the radio. I have no need. So maybe I wouldn't enjoy him quite so much if I did. But for highlights, ain'tnunbetta.

FAX
10-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Yeah ... the put the hammer down schtick could use an update.

How about, "Sledge 'em!!!" or "It's Screw Time!" or "Chainsaw Their Heads Off!".

Just mix it up a little.

FAX

carcosa
10-02-2018, 02:39 PM
I should add for the record, I never actually listen to the radio. I have no need. So maybe I wouldn't enjoy him quite so much if I did. But for highlights, ain'tnunbetta.

He's certainly more palatable in sound bite form.

Doesn't help that Kendall Gammon makes Jason Witten sound like Abraham Lincoln

FAX
10-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Since we're all sharing ... I turn the volume down on the TV broadcast and listen to Mitch instead (it's far more enjoyable). I must say in all honesty that I am not wild about "No Doubt About It". We need a new color guy. I wish Lenny The Cool hadn't gotten old.

FAX

mlyonsd
10-02-2018, 02:40 PM

How about, "Sledge 'em!!!" or "It's Screw Time!" or "Chainsaw Their Heads Off!".

Just mix it up a little.

FAXstick the chisel in their nizzle.

Ok, let me work on that and get back to you.

ptlyon
10-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Just mix it up a little.

FAX

Was "It's bend over and take it up the ass time!" taken?

mlyonsd
10-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Since we're all sharing ... I turn the volume down on the TV broadcast and listen to Mitch instead (it's far more enjoyable). I must say in all honesty that I am not wild about "No Doubt About It". We need a new color guy. I wish Lenny The Cool hadn't gotten old.

FAX

I do the same. And yes I miss Lenny too.

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 02:42 PM
LMAO

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 02:43 PM
And tomorrow night In Paris. I’m gonn chill in the hotel room with a bucket of cold beers and relive Monday night in radio format with Mitch.

Kinda excited about it actually.

carcosa
10-02-2018, 02:48 PM
And tomorrow night In Paris. I’m gonn chill in the hotel room with a bucket of cold beers and relive Monday night in radio format with Mitch.

Kinda excited about it actually.

Paris, Texas?

ptlyon
10-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Paris, Texas?

Paris Hilton

Rasputin
10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

FAX

I try to do this but the feed from radio is 3 seconds ahead and hear the play before it's developing on TV and that fucks with me. I still like listening to radio over the tv but not when it's ahead of the game.

CupidStunt
10-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Yeah I've tried that and can never get the sync quite right. Plus I'm always watching Red Zone so that just screws it up anyway.

Reerun_KC
10-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Paris, Texas?

Paris, France

FAX
10-02-2018, 03:04 PM
I try to do this but the feed from radio is 3 seconds ahead and hear the play before it's developing on TV and that ****s with me. I still like listening to radio over the tv but not when it's ahead of the game.

Yeah, it's almost always about 1 play behind, Mr. KC Tattoo.

Admittedly, it is quite distracting for the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX, but she's learned to deal.

For me, the delay issue is fine. I see the play on the TV-thing then I can hear Holthus go nuts on the call. In a way, it makes his call more enjoyable because I know what's coming.

That's probably odd, huh?

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Sorry. For me, it's entirely backwards. The radio-thing lags behind the TV-thing.

FAX

ptlyon
10-02-2018, 03:18 PM
I try to do this but the feed from radio is 3 seconds ahead and hear the play before it's developing on TV and that ****s with me. I still like listening to radio over the tv but not when it's ahead of the game.

When I finally got sick of listening to the ESPN donkey Homer's I turned on the radio. Mine was like 10 seconds ahead. That way if the play didn't sound good I didn't have to watch it. :)

carcosa
10-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Paris, France

Cool

stevieray
10-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Mitch loves this team as much, if not more than anyone on this board.

He's a great announcer and a hell of a guy.

stevieray
10-02-2018, 04:22 PM

FAX

I do the same thing.

lil story...I've known Mitch for years..went to his show on the reg. Never asked for anything.

Troops were in Iraq and a good friends son was coming home from a tour and was going to be @ Arrowhead for a game. I asked if there was anything special he could do for him... told me to have him @ certain place at a certain time. That was it....Never let on, just told him there was someone who wanted to meet him. Mitch came out of the stadium met this guy and his friend .....took them up to the booth, took them down into the locker room and on to the field.

That's Mitch....:)

T-post Tom
10-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Happy Centaur, Mitch. :)

Deberg_1990
10-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Does he have a nickname for Mahomes yet? Or does he just roll with ‘Showtime’ ?

FAX
10-02-2018, 05:15 PM
I do the same thing.

lil story...I've known Mitch for years..went to his show on the reg. Never asked for anything.

Troops were in Iraq and a good friends son was coming home from a tour and was going to be @ Arrowhead for a game. I asked if there was anything special he could do for him... told me to have him @ certain place at a certain time. That was it....Never let on, just told him there was someone who wanted to meet him. Mitch came out of the stadium met this guy and his friend .....took them up to the booth, took them down into the locker room and on to the field.

That's Mitch....:)

That makes me feel good, Mr. stevieray.

I always figured Mitch to be a good person. He comes across that way.

It's good to know that he actually is.

FAX

stevieray
10-02-2018, 05:20 PM
That makes me feel good, Mr. stevieray.

I always figured Mitch to be a good person. He comes across that way.

It's good to know that he actually is.

FAX

I guess Clark came into the booth and presented him with a Chiefs football to mark the occasion. Clark said he was glad to call him friend.

Mitch got pretty choked up over it. He wants a SB sooooo bad.

We finally might have a shot.

Long time coming. feels so damn good...almost to the point where I want to pinch myself, because it seems so surreal. battered Chiefs syndrome says what?

don't get me wrong, I wanted to win last night , but after Pat drove them down for the lead, I felt like we already had won, even if we had lost.

anyone else feel that way?

ptlyon
10-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Long time coming. feels so damn good...almost to the point where I want to pinch myself, because it seems so surreal. battered Chiefs syndrome says what?

don't get me wrong, I wanted to win last night , but after Pat drove them down for the lead, I felt like we already had won, even if we had lost.

Smith loses that game. Mahomes may not win, but he gives you a hell of a shot.

FAX
10-02-2018, 05:27 PM
I guess Clark came into the booth and presented him with a Chiefs football to mark the occasion. Clark said he was glad to call him friend.

Mitch got pretty choked up over it. He wants a SB sooooo bad.

We finally might have a shot.

A great QB gives the fanbase hope, for sure. More importantly, though, he gives the players and coaches hope.

When you know that you're never really "out of it", it elevates everybody's performance all the time ... not just when things are good.

Wally is right when he says the great ones make everybody around them better. That's the part we have yet to truly experience.

We're due. And we're in good hands, my friend.

FAX

stevieray
10-02-2018, 05:53 PM
A great QB gives the fanbase hope, for sure. More importantly, though, he gives the players and coaches hope.

When you know that you're never really "out of it", it elevates everybody's performance all the time ... not just when things are good.

Wally is right when he says the great ones make everybody around them better. That's the part we have yet to truly experience.

We're due. And we're in good hands, my friend.

FAX

Amen!

Passepartout
10-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Here is to 400 more games Mitch and counting!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2018, 09:34 PM
I used to really like Mitch. I think the first game I ever heard him call was the second game of the '94 season. The Chiefs were down two scores at home against the Giants (game was on Fox because road teams used to have their network broadcast interconference games, and the fucking Rams got preference b/c they were playing at the noon slot) about halfway through the fourth and they came from behind to win. Holthus' call at the conclusion of the game was "Lazarus is a Chiefs fan."

Since Herm, he's become progressively more and more cartoonish, and it's taken away from the quality of the broadcast. Now he's so over the top that he's a caricature, which is unfortunate, because he's really solid when he does other broadcasts in the area.

carcosa
10-02-2018, 09:54 PM
I used to really like Mitch. I think the first game I ever heard him call was the second game of the '94 season. The Chiefs were down two scores at home against the Giants (game was on Fox because road teams used to have their network broadcast interconference games, and the fucking Rams got preference b/c they were playing at the noon slot) about halfway through the fourth and they came from behind to win. Holthus' call at the conclusion of the game was "Lazarus is a Chiefs fan."

Since Herm, he's become progressively more and more cartoonish, and it's taken away from the quality of the broadcast. Now he's so over the top that he's a caricature, which is unfortunate, because he's really solid when he does other broadcasts in the area.

Last year I listened to a game for the first time in a while and was shocked by how bad Holthus and Gammon were.

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 09:55 PM
I was listening last night. He was a mess coming out of commercials. But he deserved the accolades they gave him.

When Clark opened the broadcast, Mitch was audibly crying.

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Mitch is great, IMO.

Especially when you compare him to other radio play-by-play guys. Holthus knows this team so well it makes a huge difference, too.

Actually, I'd love to have a beer with Mitch some day.

FAX

HUGE!!!!!

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 09:56 PM
He's certainly more palatable in sound bite form.

Doesn't help that Kendall Gammon makes Jason Witten sound like Abraham Lincoln

Gammon is awful.

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 09:59 PM
When I finally got sick of listening to the ESPN donkey Homer's I turned on the radio. Mine was like 10 seconds ahead. That way if the play didn't sound good I didn't have to watch it. :)

Tune In was syncing up perfectly last night.

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Does he have a nickname for Mahomes yet? Or does he just roll with ‘Showtime’ ?

Batman

FAX
10-02-2018, 10:01 PM

What, pray tell, is Tune In?

FAX

KChiefs1
10-02-2018, 10:03 PM
What, pray tell, is Tune In?

FAX

Radio app for my phone.

I use it to listen to sports talk shows all over the US & Yankton has the Chiefs games.

FAX
10-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Radio app for my phone.

I use it to listen to sports talk shows all over the US & Yankton has the Chiefs games.

Grazie, Signore KChiefs1.

Che meraviglia!!

FAXINI

scho63
10-03-2018, 01:05 AM
Love Holtus and Harlan is also excellent. Trent Green can handle most games and reminds me of Tony Romo in the booth.

ptlyon
10-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Thanks! Amazing you can still get WNAX down there.

ChiefsCountry
10-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Radio app for my phone.

The station at the Lake that has the Chiefs is on Tune in as well.

displacedinMN
10-03-2018, 09:03 AM
KYNT yankton, SD

ptlyon
10-03-2018, 09:10 AM
KYNT yankton, SD

Was thinking KYNT and WNAX were am/FM sister stations, but guess they're not. Thanks for the clarification.

Reerun_KC
10-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Well crap. NFL mobile worked in Poland and the first few days of Italy. It wouldn’t work yesterday or today in France. Wanted to chill and relive Monday night with Mitch tonight. But looks as if that won’t happen.

ptlyon
10-03-2018, 09:16 AM
FUCK FRANCE

Reerun_KC
10-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Well. The app won’t work on WiFi in any country but was working on cellular data up until yesterday. Pissing me off. I paired for the fucking thing I should be able to use it.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Mitch got choked up

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FKansasCityChiefs%2Fvideos%2F300506477429674%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

htismaqe
10-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Mitch is awesome. Gotta love the guy, he bleeds red and gold.

Demonpenz
10-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Not a huge fan. Somewhere they has to be a balance between Denny and Hothus. I will say it is mostly his gay ass nicknames though. Canadian Doctor The Cheetah yuk

redfan
10-05-2018, 12:49 PM
And still not as good as Harlan.

penguinz
10-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Not a huge fan. Somewhere they has to be a balance between Denny and Hothus. I will say it is mostly his gay ass nicknames though. Canadian Doctor The Cheetah yuk:clap:

stevieray
10-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Mitch is awesome. Gotta love the guy, he bleeds red and gold.

QFT

stevieray
10-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Mitch got choked up

Q

carcosa
10-05-2018, 01:23 PM
And still not as good as Harlan.

there's a reason Harlan went on to national prominence

Kiimo
10-05-2018, 04:03 PM
I like Mitch's voice but his football takes are terrible. Also I'm extremely not interested in hearing about 2A high school football.

Reminder that he said it was stupid to take Mahomes and should have taken a corner. He's a guy who loves "grit".

Those are small complaints though, I do enjoy his broadcasts.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2018, 01:05 PM
just saw these on kcchiefs.com

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery_2x/f_auto/chiefs/iv4nen08xnqfcxj2g8qh.jpg

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery_2x/f_auto/chiefs/dsp7nuydrp7nedmrklwq.tiff

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery_2x/f_auto/chiefs/qkccrt3z7mqvhtyxi58s.jpg

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery_2x/f_auto/chiefs/wsm6bppg4dxa5tlcvzxz.jpg

Stewie
10-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Meh. Wayne Larivee and Kevin Harlan were way better. They moved on to bigger gigs on bigger stages.

stevieray
10-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Meh. Wayne Larivee and Kevin Harlan were way better. They moved on to bigger gigs on bigger stages.

I don't think Mitch wants to be on the National Stage.

redfan
10-06-2018, 06:40 PM
there's a reason Harlan went on to national prominence

I'm just sentimental and old. Also, I have a ton of respect for Mitch and what he's done here.

Demonpenz
10-06-2018, 08:21 PM
You know who was the shit at baseball and basketball was Paul Splittorff.

Demonpenz
10-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Nate Bukatey sucks