PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft If We Were to have a Redo of the 2013 Draft, Who Do We Take 1st?

rico
10-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Was just thinking about that 2013 draft and how we had the first overall pick in the draft...and how lousy of a year that was to be picking #1. Obviously, we picked Eric Fisher. Meh... I think he is safe from being considered an all-out bust at this point, but he hasn’t been the world beater the number 1 pick in the draft should be either. Whatever... we wanted a franchise QB, but it worked out. It took patience, but it worked out... thank...God.

But anyways...I was thinking. Eric Fisher obviously wasn’t the best guy in that class... so who was? Knowing then, what we do now (with an exception of where guys were picked), who do we pick first overall?! Deandre Hopkins and Lane Johnson may be popular opinions. Is it possible that we had the first overall pick that year and did end up with the best guy in the draft class, but didn’t get him until the 3rd round? If we could do 2013 over again, would you draft Kelce 1st? Who else in that 2013 draft class has been a better player, a better fit for their team or more successful at their respective positions since being drafted in 2013 than Travis Kelce, with an exception of Le’Veon Bell... who we didn’t need at the time since we had Charles? I know it’s not conventional to draft a TE first overall... in fact, there have only been 3 selected in the top 10 since 1999 (Eric Ebron 10), Vernon Davis (6) and Kellen Winslow Jr. (6)....however, **** what’s conventional. TE was a need, Kelce has been to 3 pro bowls, has been named 1st and 2nd team all pro, embraced the city and the fanbase, has been marketable (had a freaking dating show, for crying out loud) and he has been 5x the player that Eric Fisher has been for us...so again, **** what’s conventional in a re-do...

In retrospect, maybe 2013 wasn’t as much doom and gloom since we ultimately ended up with Kelce in the 3rd round and it’s difficult to make a case for any other player in that draft class being as impactful for their team(s) as Kelce.

Knowing then, what we do now...who do we choose first? Deandre Hopkins? Lane Johnson? Errr....Travis Kelce? Le’Veon Bell, Ezekiel Ansah, Xavier Rhodes, David Bakhtiari, Tyrann Mathieu, Keenan Allen, Sheldon Richardson, Desmond Trufant, Zach Ertz, Micah Hyde, Eric Reid, Jonathan Hankins, Eric Fisher, Darius Slay, other?

**** it...In a redo and I’m GM, Kelce would be the first TE selected overall ever or in decades, I’m guessing? Funny we got our guy...no...we got THE guy that was the most perfect fit for the Chiefs out of all the players in that 2013 draft. We just luckily ended up with him in the 3rd.

I wonder how the board would have reacted if we actually did that.

allen_kcCard
10-04-2018, 01:51 PM
If we can do a redo...take Mahomes out of highschool with the 1st overall.

rico
10-04-2018, 01:51 PM
If we can do a redo...take Mahomes out of highschool with the 1st overall.

Forgetting that was pretty absent minded of me...

Andoverer
10-04-2018, 01:54 PM
If we had picked Le'veon Bell he wouldn't have been killing us in playoff games

This is assuming we still get Kelce in the 3rd of course.

O.city
10-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Probably Kelce.

Or Xavier Rhodes maybe? Hopkins wouldn't be a bad option

Best22
10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Wouldn't change anything

Happy with where we are

rico
10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
If we had picked Le'veon Bell he wouldn't have been killing us in playoff games

This is assuming we still get Kelce in the 3rd of course.

But we just found out about the drama he’s been pulling this year...and we had Charles.

Prison Bitch
10-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Keep fisher

Why would anyone choose Kelce when we got him 3rd anyway?

Kiimo
10-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Hopkins. For sure.

carcosa
10-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Geno Smith

rico
10-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Keep fisher

Why would anyone choose Kelce when we got him 3rd anyway?

All we know in this re-do is how they produced from 2013 until now...the one thing we don’t know is where they went in the draft.

Otter
I'm not quiet as upset with Eric Fisher as some. He's been a rock at the position health wise and he hasn't exactly had the best talent sitting to his right since the day he was drafted. He's done his job as far as I'm concerned.</br></br> I guess you can make an argument for Xavier. I'm not going to cry in my beer about it.

rico
Geno Smith

ROFL I forgot to use him as an option...and I was a “Geno guy.”

carcosa
10-04-2018, 02:06 PM

Andy Reid could have turned him into a star!!!

TLO
10-04-2018, 02:08 PM
GENO SMITH

rico
10-04-2018, 02:09 PM
I'm not quiet as upset with Eric Fisher as some. He's been a rock at the position health wise and he hasn't exactly had the best talent sitting to his right since the day he was drafted. He's done his job as far as I'm concerned.</br></br> I guess you can make an argument for Xavier. I'm not going to cry in my beer about it.

He hasn’t been a bust. He’s been there...and has flashed, I guess.

I think what got me thinking about it is how that draft brings negative vibes for a lot of us because we think we could have gotten someone better than Fisher...but looked at it on the flippity flip and was like, “shit, well maybe we did get THE dude for us anyways...2 rounds later...” I dunno.

rico
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Andy Reid could have turned him into a star!!!

Probably could have swung him for at least a mid-first rounder!!!

htismaqe
10-04-2018, 02:26 PM

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fq8C0Ljmy4F6Ss%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1

rico
10-04-2018, 02:36 PM
I was close to picking Watkins...he has produced a lot with garbage at the QB position, while Kelce has prospered with an extremely TE friendly QB (Alice). I still take Kelce...guy embraced the city/fanbase and has kicked ass since he arrived.

Tale of he tape:

Deandre Hopkins- 2 time pro bowl (2015, 2017). 1st team All-Pro (2017). 2nd Team All Pro (2015), NFL Receiving TD’s Leader (2017)

Travis Kelce- 3 x Pro Bowl (2015-2017). 1st team All Pro (2016), 2nd Team All Pro (2017), TE receptions leader 2017, TE reception yards leader 2016, HIS OWN DATING SHOW!!!

I dunno.... we could have used a WR like Hopkins back then too...I mean, maybe Alex would have considered throwing to him a couple times.

dj56dt58
10-04-2018, 03:10 PM
We had the 1st overall pick and got the best player in the draft

Who cares what round we got him in?

rico
10-04-2018, 03:13 PM

I just like talking/thinking about it. Don’t really care...it’s just fun to me, for whatever reason.

carcosa
10-04-2018, 03:20 PM
I just like talking/thinking about it. Don’t really care...it’s just fun to me, for whatever reason.

Don't let them spoil your fun!

rico
10-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Don't let them spoil your fun!

Hell yeah, bro... thread/poll may be a dud...oh well. I’m having fun. I like to research and discuss this stuff the same way a history buff likes to discuss history... well, the 2013 NFL Draft is history...since it’s, you know, like...in the past. So yeah, this is just me being a history buff!!! 2013 NFL Draft...GROUNDBREAKING STUFF that changed the way my life is today. Lol no seriously, my life changed that night...That night, I got drunk, did a back flip off of a table and tore some cartilage in my knee. Couldn’t move from the bed for like 2 weeks. I had a lot of sex when I was couped up in bed... in fact, one of my daughters was conceived in that span. If we wouldn’t have drafted Eric Fisher, I wouldn’t have been so pissed off and drunk and wreckless. If I wasn’t drunk and wreckless, I wouldn’t have done that backflip off the table. If I wouldn’t have attempted that backflip, I wouldn’t have hurt my knee. If I wouldn’t have hurt my knee, I probably wouldn’t have been laying around having so much sex. If I wouldn’t have been laying around having so much sex, then I may have one less daughter than I have today!! Ya see...the 2013 NFL Draft....it molded life!!!

Rain Man
10-04-2018, 03:55 PM
I don't want to do anything to cause a butterfly effect that would affect Kelce, Hill, Hunt, and Mahomes. I would do everything exactly the same.

bdj23
10-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Le'Veon Bell?

carcosa
10-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Hell yeah, bro... thread/poll may be a dud...oh well. I’m having fun. I like to research and discuss this stuff the same way a history buff likes to discuss history... well, the 2013 NFL Draft is history...since it’s, you know, like...in the past. So yeah, this is just me being a history buff!!! 2013 NFL Draft...GROUNDBREAKING STUFF that changed the way my life is today. Lol no seriously, my life changed that night...That night, I got drunk, did a back flip off of a table and tore some cartilage in my knee. Couldn’t move from the bed for like 2 weeks. I had a lot of sex when I was couped up in bed... in fact, one of my daughters was conceived in that span. If we wouldn’t have drafted Eric Fisher, I wouldn’t have been so pissed off and drunk and wreckless. If I wasn’t drunk and wreckless, I wouldn’t have done that backflip off the table. If I wouldn’t have attempted that backflip, I wouldn’t have hurt my knee. If I wouldn’t have hurt my knee, I probably wouldn’t have been laying around having so much sex. If I wouldn’t have been laying around having so much sex, then I may have one less daughter than I have today!! Ya see...the 2013 NFL Draft....it molded life!!!

Yas kween!

carcosa
10-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Le'Veon Bell?

He meant the best player who doesn't require flagrant uncalled holding from his entire offensive line to succeed.

MTG#10
10-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Fisher wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick, let alone #1 overall. He's far from elite, but he is serviceable. We could have much worse.

rico
10-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Le'Veon Bell?

Meh, we were fine with Jamaal at the time. We had the rushing leader last year with Hunt... we are certainly better off with Hunt than him so far this season... Guy is a talented freak of nature, but we didn’t need him.

I’d go Kelce. Then after him, Hopkins.. After him, probably Lane Johnson or Ezekiel Ansah.

rico
10-04-2018, 04:16 PM
I don't want to do anything to cause a butterfly effect that would affect Kelce, Hill, Hunt, and Mahomes. I would do everything exactly the same.

This would be the only thing that would get me to side with Fisher.

Hypothetical: No matter who you select first, it doesn’t affect what we have with Kelce, Hill, Hunt, Watkins and Mahomes...

BeMyValentine
10-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Geno Smith so we would have many 1st overall picks for years to come

cdcox
10-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Prime directive, space time continuum and all that. Cue Fisher draft gif.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Joeckel Joeckel Joeckel !!!!

WhiteWhale
10-04-2018, 06:14 PM

Isn't that a good feeling?

Being so confident in the future that you're not concerned with mistakes from the past?

I'm with you man. It feels good.

TwistedChief
10-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Amazing we've gotten this far without someone embedding the video of the two yokels high-fiving with the Fisher pick.

It was a bad draft. A really bad draft. The year before we get Luck and the year after we get Clowney. Potential breakout talents.

Fisher would be fine as a late 1st pick but no one is ever going to feel great about him as the 1-1. Not his fault.

I voted for Rhodes just because we need a CB. This all feels like Back to the Future sort of stuff.

rico
10-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Isn't that a good feeling?

Being so confident in the future that you're not concerned with mistakes from the past?

I'm with you man. It feels good.

Right on, it does fee good.

Don’t get me wrong, guys... I feel good about things too. I’ve haven’t felt this alive as a Chiefs fan since the Vermeil era.

Jusssssst like to talk about these hypotheticals.

Molitoth
10-04-2018, 06:23 PM
I was all-in on Geno Smith and I still think his career (as well as many other failed QB careers) could have been completely different with a good head coach like Reid.

I still would have picked Geno, and he probably would not have gotten his jaw broken in KC.

rico
10-04-2018, 06:31 PM
I was all-in on Geno Smith and I still think his career (as well as many other failed QB careers) could have been completely different with a good head coach like Reid.

I still would have picked Geno, and he probably would not have gotten his jaw broken in KC.

I can’t remember who they were playing, but there was this game where everyone on here (and this place was starting to buzz about Geno) were watching nasty ol’ Geno and late in the game he hit Stedman Bailey with a BEAUTIFUL pass for a TD. Clay gif’d it up and the hype was on. Tons of planeteers (including myself) jumping on he Genowagon from that moment.

I don’t care what anyone says...dude had moments where he looked awesome.

rico
10-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Amazing we've gotten this far without someone embedding the video of the two yokels high-fiving with the Fisher pick.

It was a bad draft. A really bad draft. The year before we get Luck and the year after we get Clowney. Potential breakout talents.

Fisher would be fine as a late 1st pick but no one is ever going to feel great about him as the 1-1. Not his fault.

I voted for Rhodes just because we need a CB. This all feels like Back to the Future sort of stuff.

This Mahomes stuff has me thankful that we exited the Suck for Luck sweepstakes when we did (a come from behind win vs. the Colts when we were front runners in he Suck for Luck race). I’d take Mahomes any day of the week over Luck.

Holy cow...all this bullshit was worth it.

Hoover
10-04-2018, 06:40 PM
They way I see it, we invested a 1st and 3rd and walked out of there with Fish and Kelce. Not going to be disappointed with that.

Molitoth
10-04-2018, 06:41 PM
I can’t remember who they were playing, but there was this game where everyone on here (and this place was starting to buzz about Geno) were watching nasty ol’ Geno and late in the game he hit Stedman Bailey with a BEAUTIFUL pass for a TD. Clay gif’d it up and the hype was on. Tons of planeteers (including myself) jumping on he Genowagon from that moment.

I don’t care what anyone says...dude had moments where he looked awesome.

Totally man. Geno's college tape was great to watch for the most part. Obviously the hype got real and then people wanted to tear him down.

He got thrown into a shit franchise with a shit coach on a shit team, which in turn caused him to make some awful shit decisions.

In the end, Mahomes is a MUCH better prospect... so I'm happy how it worked out.

It's kinda funny how the same people who studied Geno college tape and were on that wagon, were the same people who studied the Mahomes college tape and were on that wagon (early). We were eager for something more, and demanding higher possibilities.
Many others were satisfied checking down on 3rd and 14.

rico
10-04-2018, 06:48 PM
They way I see it, we invested a 1st and 3rd and walked out of there with Fish and Kelce. Not going to be disappointed with that.

I think people are missing the point.

I’m not asking for or insinuating that people should be disappointed. Just asking this hypothetical...for fun.

TwistedChief
10-04-2018, 06:58 PM
This Mahomes stuff has me thankful that we exited the Suck for Luck sweepstakes when we did (a come from behind win vs. the Colts when we were front runners in he Suck for Luck race). I’d take Mahomes any day of the week over Luck.

Holy cow...all this bullshit was worth it.

Yes, yes, and f*** yes! But, if Elway didn’t trade up to draft Lynch ahead of us... we’d be Mahomeless. That’s the real butterfly effect.

rico
10-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Yes, yes, and f*** yes! But, if Elway didn’t trade up to draft Lynch ahead of us... we’d be Mahomeless. That’s the real butterfly effect.

ROFL I was just thinking about that last week. ROFL Paxton fucking Lynch...the guy who is probably currently loitering at a small town gas station. We would be fucking pissed and we would be jealous of whoever ended up with Mahomes and the “why can’t we have good things” stuff would continue. This is like a different galaxy... and in this galaxy, the women out number the men 100-1, none are fat and all are hot.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Matt Fucking Barkley

rico
10-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Matt ****ing Barkley

Blow for Barkley!!!

smithandrew051
10-04-2018, 08:14 PM
No option to draft Jon Baldwin again?

Deberg_1990
10-04-2018, 08:50 PM
No takers on EJ Manuel?

rico
10-04-2018, 08:58 PM
How about Tyler Wilson? Who’s that guy who spent two years pimping him out? Tomahawk Chief? Where you at, bro? It’s your chance to draft small hands Wilson 1st overall!!!

Whatever happened to that guy. John C Reilly avatar...?

BossChief
10-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Getting Fisher, Alex, Kelce and Knile out of that draft/trade was very solid.

rico
10-04-2018, 09:14 PM

No one is arguing that, bud... very solid draft.

Boss, I’ve been waiting for you to chime in on this one because I think you may have an interesting answer, whatever it may be...

If you were drafting now....you have the first overall pick in the draft and you know what you do now about these players with an exception of where they were drafted... what do you do? Who do you draft first?

BossChief
10-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Hopkins

You put Hopkins and Kelce on that offense...oh boy. Especially adding Tyreek a couple drafts later...

We never have to throw money at Maclin or resign Bowe. That $ goes towards a difference maker somewhere else. We gave out 2 5/55 deals to Maclin and Bowe.

Pick Hopkins and re-sign Albert or sign another LT with Bowes $

BossChief
10-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Hopkins
Ford
Peters
Jones
Mahomes

rico
10-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Hopkins

You put Hopkins and Kelce on that offense...oh boy. Especially adding Tyreek a couple drafts later...

We never have to throw money at Maclin or resign Bowe. That $ goes towards a difference maker somewhere else. We gave out 2 5/55 deals to Maclin and Bowe.

Pick Hopkins and re-sign Albert or sign another LT with Bowes $

God that is a good point. That point, as well as looking into Hopkins’s career is kind of prompting me to believe that he may be a no-brainer #1 pick in a redo. I firmly believe that not only is he one of the most underrated players in the NFL, he is in the top 5 for best current active players in the game regardless of position.

Get this...

The dude, since 2013 has played 5.25 seasons and has racked up 38 career TD’s as well as 6308 yards receiving. These impressive numbers are more eye-opening when you look at the shit sandwich QB’s who have started for the Texans since 2013:

-Deshaun (this seems to be a great situation for him)
- Brock Osweiler
- Ryan Fitzpatrick
- Tom Savage
- TJ Yates
- Matt Schaub
- Case Keenum
- Brian Hoyer
- Ryan Mallett
- Brandon Weeden

Holy...shit. He has produced consistently with JACK SHIT at QB.

And to make things even more impressive...In 5 full seasons (plus a quarter season in 2018), the dude has only missed 1 game. So he’s a durable, tough motor scooter to boot. That is impressive.

And when I say he’s underrated, I feel most people know he’s good, but he isn’t glamorized or knob-schlobbed like OBJ, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez (in his day), how Megatron in his day, Antonio Brown, etc. He doesn’t seem to be as popular as guys like these and he should be... he very well may be the best WR in the NFL. And my mom has never heard of him...she’s heard of OBJ, Megatron, Julio, Antonio, Dez, etc.

UK_Chief
10-05-2018, 03:58 AM

Kniles

jonzie04
10-05-2018, 04:50 AM
He meant the best player who doesn't require flagrant uncalled holding from his entire offensive line to succeed.

In terms of overall value I’m talking Kelce. He has his flaws but he’s a great team player and is a great leader. He’s a team first guy not a me guy like Bell.

wheeler08
10-05-2018, 05:18 AM
Hasn’t Slay consistently been a top corner? We were aids then at CB and we’re aids now so I’d take Slay

rico
10-05-2018, 05:39 AM
Kniles

Oh yes! How can I forget... we drafted Kniles Crane in that draft!! For a couple years, Kniles Crane was a RB on our roster!!!

rico
10-05-2018, 05:45 AM
In terms of overall value I’m talking Kelce. He has his flaws but he’s a great team player and is a great leader. He’s a team first guy not a me guy like Bell.

And the dude ended up being a perfect fit for KC. He embraced the fanbase/organization and still does. Hell, I remember when they had a few Chiefs speakers for this “get hyped to start the season gathering” they had where a few Chiefs spoke to the crowd. Kelce was like the MC of that speaking event, for he immediately introduced himself to the crowd with his crazy enthusiasm...and this was most peoples’ first impression of the guy for I believe this was an event to kickoff the 2013 season. That always impressed me... how he was so enthusiastic about being a Chief and in KC/the Midwest.

For me it’s between Kelce and Hopkins. Kind of leaning Kelce. That dude will end up having his jersey retired in KC. I’d bet on it.

RealSNR
10-05-2018, 06:27 AM

Clowney sucks.

If Eric Fisher were just a little bit better, I'd take him over Clowney any day.

TwistedChief
10-05-2018, 06:56 AM
Clowney sucks.

If Eric Fisher were just a little bit better, I'd take him over Clowney any day.

No doubt Clowney hasn't produced and does indeed suck. I'm just saying the excitement over Clowney and Luck at the time was leagues ahead of Fisher.

We had the #1 pick in the draft and we couldn't even be that excited about it. "Oh, a fatty from the MAC... Yay" Because Chiefs.