PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Scared in the wilderness - what are/is your stories/story?

Simply Red
10-05-2018, 11:52 PM
Good Evening,

I just started what appears to be a really good movie called 'Hold the Dark' - It prompted me to ask CP - what situations, observations or any other 'tions - have you experienced away from civilization in which had you scared for you life?

Animals, weather, devil worshipers? Primarily what I'm looking for is wild animal encounters.

I know we have quite a few in the Pacific NW that post on here. (bears maybe?)

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting stories regarding this...?

I'd love to hear them...

Thanks

Frazod
10-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Hopefully Livesteam will see this and post his big foot camping story.

As for me, most scary nature thing was getting caught in a violent thunderstorm while on a float trip down the Current River, which turned the normally calm and clear river into a raging torrent. I was 11 or 12, and in a canoe with my cousin who is a couple of years younger. We had been farting around and lagged behind the rest of the group, so we were on our own when it hit. At one point we hit a tree that had fallen in the water and the canoe sank. My cousin nearly drowned. That was pretty intense.

No animal stories. If I'm out in the woods, I'm armed.

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 12:02 AM

As for me, most scary nature thing was getting caught in a violent thunderstorm while on a float trip down the Current River, which turned the normally calm and clear river into a raging torrent. I was 11 or 12, and in a canoe with my cousin who is a couple of years younger. We had been farting around and lagged behind the rest of the group, so we were on our own when it hit. At one point we hit a tree that had fallen in the water and the canoe sank. My cousin nearly drowned. That was pretty intense.

I bullshit you not - I literally almost drowned in that river - the only other story I have is getting seriously lost in Perkins cave - that shit was horrifying - both events.

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 12:03 AM
By the way this movie is on Netflix and appears to be a doozy y'all.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2018, 12:04 AM
I got lost in the woods of NW Arkansas driving to KC from Louisiana one weekend.

It was really dark, the roads were super twisty and I was operating on about 3 hours sleep.

I thought I was going to careen off the roads, hit a tree, have to start walking and get eaten by a bear.

I've never been more happy to see a sign for I-71 than I ever have coming out of those woods.

Frazod
10-06-2018, 12:22 AM
This wasn't the woods, but definitely a middle of nowhere story. I was driving from Missouri to Norfolk back in my Navy days - back before I-64 went all the way through and, for a time, you had to take US Highway 60 through the mountains east of Charleston, WV. I was headed east on straight, flat stretch of 60 before it got hilly and nasty, about 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. As I was driving, I saw a guy lying on the side of the road. Not sprawling or bloody or anything - just lying there like he was asleep. No other cars, no lights from nearby homes, no nothing. It was a moonless, pitch black night. I slowed down as I approached. The guy didn't move. I was alone, unarmed, and this was years before everybody had a cellphone. Part of me wanted to stop and check on him, and had it been light out I probably would have. But the other part said FUCK THAT, and the FUCK THAT part won. Maybe he was hurt; or maybe was lying there waiting for some idiot to stop so he could waylay him. Maybe he had some buddies waiting in the brush nearby. Didn't want to end up being the star of some midnight Deliverance scene, so I hit the gas and went on my way.

When I got to a town with an open gas station, I told the attendant what I saw and he called the local police. I continued on my way. I have no idea who the guy was, or what became of him.

Rain Man
10-06-2018, 12:31 AM
I've had a couple of trail races where I wasn't sure if I was lost or not. In one I knew I could just turn around, but in the other one I was all dehydrated and I was 11 or 12 miles in, felt like I was about to drop, and I didn't really know where I was. I was starting to get really bummed out since I was going to die, but eventually I found the finish line.

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 12:41 AM
This wasn't the woods, but definitely a middle of nowhere story. I was driving from Missouri to Norfolk back in my Navy days - back before I-64 went all the way through and, for a time, you had to take US Highway 60 through the mountains east of Charleston, WV. I was headed east on straight, flat stretch of 60 before it got hilly and nasty, about 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. As I was driving, I saw a guy lying on the side of the road. Not sprawling or bloody or anything - just lying there like he was asleep. No other cars, no lights from nearby homes, no nothing. It was a moonless, pitch black night. I slowed down as I approached. The guy didn't move. I was alone, unarmed, and this was years before everybody had a cellphone. Part of me wanted to stop and check on him, and had it been light out I probably would have. But the other part said **** THAT, and the **** THAT part won. Maybe he was hurt; or maybe was lying there waiting for some idiot to stop so he could waylay him. Maybe he had some buddies waiting in the brush nearby. Didn't want to end up being the star of some midnight Deliverance scene, so I hit the gas and went on my way.

When I got to a town with an open gas station, I told the attendant what I saw and he called the local police. I continued on my way. I have no idea who the guy was, or what became of him.

That's a gnarly story - I dig it. I have one that happened on Valley View Rd and Woods Chapel in Blue Springs I'll post later on this afternoon as I'm knee deep into this flick right now.

Frazod
10-06-2018, 12:58 AM
That's a gnarly story - I dig it. I have one that happened on Valley View Rd and Woods Chapel in Blue Springs I'll post later on this afternoon as I'm knee deep into this flick right now.

Yeah, it really does sound like the opening scene of a horror movie, doesn't it? Except I'm not a moron. :D

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it really does sound like the opening scene of a horror movie, doesn't it? Except I'm not a moron. :D

sorry bro i fat thumbed that - was supposed to be thumbs-up. my bad. So much for multi-tasking.

Frazod
10-06-2018, 01:18 AM
sorry bro i fat thumbed that - was supposed to be thumbs-up. my bad. So much for multi-tasking.

I'll try to find the strength to soldier on. :)

FAX
10-06-2018, 01:32 AM
This wasn't the woods, but definitely a middle of nowhere story. I was driving from Missouri to Norfolk back in my Navy days - back before I-64 went all the way through and, for a time, you had to take US Highway 60 through the mountains east of Charleston, WV. I was headed east on straight, flat stretch of 60 before it got hilly and nasty, about 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. As I was driving, I saw a guy lying on the side of the road. Not sprawling or bloody or anything - just lying there like he was asleep. No other cars, no lights from nearby homes, no nothing. It was a moonless, pitch black night. I slowed down as I approached. The guy didn't move. I was alone, unarmed, and this was years before everybody had a cellphone. Part of me wanted to stop and check on him, and had it been light out I probably would have. But the other part said **** THAT, and the **** THAT part won. Maybe he was hurt; or maybe was lying there waiting for some idiot to stop so he could waylay him. Maybe he had some buddies waiting in the brush nearby. Didn't want to end up being the star of some midnight Deliverance scene, so I hit the gas and went on my way.

Dude!! That was me!!!

I made one bad mistake and ate the Mezcal worm and you just left me there?

FAx

RINGLEADER
10-06-2018, 01:41 AM
Was with the family when I was young and we were staying at a campground by a small creek in the woods in Colorado. A storm was coming on Saturday night so my father made us leave early (as kids we were pissed) and to this day I remember the clouds turning the sky behind the mountains black. That night the whole campsite flooded and killed everyone who had stayed with us at the campgrounds.

Not really a “scared in the wilderness” story but knowing that little creek that me and the other kids were hopping over became a huge river that washed away the campgrounds is scary to think about to this day.

eDave
10-06-2018, 01:51 AM
A coyote ate my cat. In the suburbs.

NewChief
10-06-2018, 07:09 AM
A few: 90 mile per hour winds on top of Guadalupe Peak at night, in our tent. Luckily, I had a pretty bomber 4-season tent that stood up to it. On the same trip, my girlfriend (now wife) had the flu. We had hiked around 10 miles into the backcountry carrying all of our water for 3 nights as there was none available in the backcountry, so we were rationing water pretty heavy. You ever tried to ration water when you have the flu? It was a good bonding experience, though.

At Philmont, some buddies and I sidehiked up to Yuraca Mesa, which has a high iron content so your compasses don't work. In addition, it has a reputation as the "haunted mesa." We ran into a mother bear and two cubs there.

This summer my 10 year old and I were riding down Windsor Trail in New Mexico (a 10 mile descent from Mt. Santa Fe into town). He threw his chain on his bike. We stopped to get it going again, looked up and had two black bear staring at us from about 40 yards away. At first we were like "Cool!" then they started raising up and looking at us, and I got the bike rolling again pretty quickly. Part of me KNOWS that black bears aren't going to screw with humans... but still.

Driving back cross country with a friend from the Pacific Northwest to Arkansas. We hit the "loneliest Highway in America" that comes out of Reno, NV in the wee hours of the morning. We were both exhausted, so we pulled over at a pullout to sleep in the car for a couple of hours. We both woke up feeling completely freaked out, like someone was staring in the car at us and decided we needed to get out of that place immediately. Really weird. Only we both had to pee. Jumped out of car to pee and saw an informational nationa/state park sign saying this area was sacred to the Native Americans. Probably only time I've ever really believed in ghosts.

In my college days, we used to do a lot of caving. In my college days, we used to do a lot of psychedelics. The two don't always mix. Was never in any real danger, but it's very easy to convince yourself that you might be lost and stuck in a cave forever.

Probably the most scared I've ever been in the wood was also the funniest. At Boy Scout Camp. The staff loved to start all kinds of bullshit stories to get the campers scared. They told us about some devil worshippers that people had seen repeatedly staring in people's tents. These stories were floating around all week. One night the adult leaders all had a meeting to attend, and we started telling each other about all these stories. We all ended up huddled around the lantern, facing outwards into the dark, holding our knives, convinced that the devil worshippers were coming to get us. Our leaders returned to quite site. We were absolutely convinced we were about to get abducted and sacrificed. Luckily, no one got stabbed.

We did a lot of backcountry snowboarding in Colorado. We had avalanche beacons and all that jazz, but you still run into some crazy intense and scary situations where you're worried things could go south, even if you're taking precautions.

My wife and I were visiting relatives of hers in Australia. We did a couple of scary things. The first was we spent 3 nights backpacking on Hinchinbrook island on the Thorsborne Trail. They only allow 20 people on the island to hike at a time, so you're very isolated (her relatives were convinced the stupid yanks were going to die). You have to do a lot of creek crossings and hike along saltwater estuaries on this hike, which is prime "saltie" (saltwater croc) territory. We didn't have any close calls, but you're still freaked out and envisioning those freaking impalas on Planet Earth that bet ambushed by crocs along the banks of a river.

We also went kayaking out to an island. We saw several dark shadows under us. Probably not great white sharks, but your mind goes a little crazy when you're out on the open water in a little kayak.

SAUTO
10-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Holy shit. We had the same thing happen on the same river. I drug a buddy out of the river.

4 people were life flighted out of there that day

Nzoner
10-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Was seeing a girl in high school who one night had me park in a wooded area on her family's farm so we could get down to business in the back seat.
About five minutes into it the back door of my car was yanked open and........

It was her brother who started yelling at her to get her ass home and for me to be on my way.

Not exactly what you're looking for but scared the shit out of us.

tmax63
10-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Hunting buddy shot an elk next to some dark timber and the elk run in there after being hit. 3 of us started the job of tracking and retrieving. About 50 yards in the tracks were crossed by mountain lion tracks and again at about 75 and 100 yards. Decided not to compete with the lion as to who would find the elk first. Only time we haven't retrieved an animal in 20+ years of hunting. On the way back to the open ground we saw where the lion had crossed OUR tracks after we had went through. Never saw him but we had our necks on a swivel until we got out of the timber.

stumppy
10-06-2018, 10:29 AM
I was floating the Buffalo River one time and it got damn scary. 3 days into a 5 day float, right around midnight, I opened the cooler and HOLY FUCK! 6 beers left, 3 people floating, 2 days to go.
That is scary. Fortunately we were able to buy a case from some people at one of the put ins.

Easy 6
10-06-2018, 10:30 AM
One day while I was in the Army up in Fairbanks AK, me and a few guys from my platoon were tasked with ambushing an infantry unit on patrol, it was an exercise meant to teach them how to properly react to it and maneuver to take out the aggressors

They spread 5 of us out about a mile or so apart along a prescribed path out in the boonies, one group of 3 and two solo ambushers

I was a solo ambusher, we were all equipped with MILES gear (basically a laser tag system) it fires a laser every time you fire a blank round in your M16, the purpose was to try and inflict casualties that the unit would have to deal with while responding

So a squad was scheduled to come by about once an hour for us to ambush, well I had just finished with the first squad to come by, and about 5 minutes later I hear the crunching sound of a massive animal walking around in this giant field of cane brush off to one side of me, this shit is like seven - eight feet tall and very thick, couldnt see into it more than a few feet

My heart starts racing immediately, I just KNEW it was a bear and I was scared shitless because NO ONE was around to help... so this goes on for several minutes, its just crunching around and I'm hoping it either stays in the cane field, or if it does come out of the field it does so down the way to my left or right

I'm huddled up against a tree, as quiet and still as a scared rabbit

I start thinking about how to defend myself if I have to, and those of you who've served are probably aware that a blank will fire one the cleaning rods from the rifle cleaning kit in the butt of an M16, hard enough to jam several inches of it into a tree

Sure as hell not what you WANT when facing a bear, but its the only thing I could cook up, so I drop one of the rods down the barrel... and wait...

Well this thing DID end up crashing out the field, 10 yards directly in front of me

At first I was at least a LITTLE relieved, it wasnt a bear... but a gigantic bull moose complete with huge rack, this thing was at least 8 foot at the shoulder... HUGE

Now you have to understand, moose trample several people a year up there to death, and this thing could've destroyed me... I knew for sure the cleaning rod would only piss it off if I'd had to fire it

It stopped just outside the brush and stared at me crouched down next to this tree for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only 30 seconds... then it gratefully walked off down the edge of that brush field

Thats as scared as I've ever been in my life, tied with the time a guy put a loaded gun to my head

Otter
10-06-2018, 12:08 PM
I’ve got a couple...

Was kayaking with 3 others back in PA on some class IV waters and managed to get ahead of the group. They stopped for one reason another before an upcoming rough patch and I couldn’t hear them yelling for me to wait up.

Went into the rapids on my own and did fine but then encountered about a 10’ drop which I didn’t see approaching. Went in upside down and couldn’t roll over due to the whirlpool effect and the kayak was spinning so fast I couldn’t land the paddle on anything solid to get a push.

I went to bail out but it turns out last time we stopped to hydrate and quick eat I tucked my grab hook under the skirt. We usually check that for each other but this time it went unoticed.

Fade to black…

Woke up to Dave giving me CPR. He’s an ex-82nd Airborne Army medic. Apparently my lips were blue, face was grey and was clinically dead when he found me. I can’t vouch for that however.

After finishing coughing up the water and calming down we kayaked out and I went to bed early.

Went up to Alaska with Bwana a couple years ago to do some halibut fishing. After three full days of being stuck together 24-7 I figured I’ll go on my own for the day and and I’ll give Bwana, his brother, and cousin Tony a day without having to put up with my ugly mug and have some family time.

I rented a Jeep and jumped on Route 1 North to destination unknown. I wound up stopping at couple streams and rivers to break out the fly rod with very little luck. The last one I went to was (ironically) named “Moose Creek”.

Oh, a side note: Alaska has the worst mosquitoes I’ve ever experienced hands down. They are absolutely rabid and come in swarms of 10s of thousands at time.

While swinging the fly rod and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes about 50 yards away from the Jeep I hear a grunt behind me. Turns out it was a full grown moose cow less than 10 yards away and this is the time of year when they’re nursing their young.

Bwana gave me his .454 to carry but I left it in the truck because I didn’t want to get it wet. I just raised my arms for some unknown reason like it was a cop telling me to back up and slowly backed up without turning my back to it in waist high water on me that went up to that monsters knees at best. The whole time it starred at me like ‘GTF off my river’. How or why that moose didn’t curb stomp me only God knows.

The worst I’ve ever witnessed was my good friend Jeff go off a really, really high jump in the Moab Desert and land very, very badly. It turns out that the landing broke about just every bone in his body except his left arm which was oddly enough perfectly fine despite every other appendage being broken in several places.

Trying to pick him up and get him laid down in the back of the pickup was easily the most horrific experience I’ve ever had in my life. Imagine picking up a 200lb screaming in agony Hefty bag filled with motor oil and rocks with arms and legs 4+ feet in the air, then dragging it onto the bed, and THEN driving it out on roads to where an ambulance can reach you on roads that require 4 wheel drive. Bleh!

There's quiet a few more but that's my top 3! :toast:

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 12:14 PM
wow guys.

seclark
10-06-2018, 12:22 PM
back in the 80's. floating and camping current river. had a couple dirt bikes with us at a camp site. brother was riding his bike bare footed around the brush and he got a weed stuck between his two smallest toes and broke the smallest one. straight out sideways:eek:

spent the rest of the day easing his pain with old crow whiskey and went to bed early while the rest of us sat around the fire drinking beer. all of a sudden, we heard a "pop"...the pistol he had stashed under his pillow had gone off. apparently, his hand wandered under it and pulled the trigger. he came to, got up and staggered out of the camper, pale as a fuckin sheet. no idea what had happened.

fucker's lucky to be alive.
sec

chinaski
10-06-2018, 12:24 PM
We have a cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains in the most isolated mountain community in Southern California. It's at about 7,000 feet. I personally haven't seen anything outside of Coyote's and Mule Deer, but Bear and Mountain Lion are abundant. I don't live there full time, but neighbors and friends see Mountain Lion and Bear frequently. Bear like to get into trash, bird feeders etc. I've seen the aftermath, they really tear shit up.

Camping at 7k in the Las Padres National Forest in April (early 1990's), completely clueless and unprepared. Primitive Campground with about 5 or 6 spots. Complete Wilderness. It was freezing and we didn't have the proper gear. Needless to say that was a rough night. In the morning the VW Bus we drove was dead. Being on top of a Mountain, luckily, it was easy to roll it down the hill and pop the clutch. I know how to camp now, but that was actually a dangerous situation.

frozenchief
10-06-2018, 01:24 PM
I have a few. Lived in Alaska for almost 20 years.

Doing a float trip down the Goodnews River and a couple of buddies. Camping on an island one night and we hear something walking in the water. We get out of the tent and it’s a big brown bear about 15 feet away. We were shining flashlights on it* and it was wondering what we were doing. After several tense moments, I fired my pistol in the air and it ran away.

Another time, I was to start a trial on 9/11/01. There had been a bear coming through our yard for a few days. I got home about 9:30 that night because I’d been prepping for trial. And the bear was in the yard. We lived on a lake and there was a small ridge that went down to the lake. There were stairs down to the “beach” where we had a dock and kept our boat. The boat was an old beater Lund that leaked so I kept it on the shore. Made sure it wouldn’t sink.

Anyway, the bear sees the headlights of the car and heads down to the beach. I get out of my car and I can hear him down by the boat, probably because I’d caught fish that weekend and the smell was in the boat. My girls were young (5 and 3) and I didn’t want the bear hanging around anymore so I grabbed a rifle and a flashlight and headed down the stairs holding the flashlight and the front stock in my left hand, right hand holding business end of the rifle. That was when I was the most ... amped up. I’m sweeping that flashlight around and see the bear. In my boat. I get to the bottom of the stairs and that bear is quite close, looking at me and grunting. I yelled at the bear and it’s just looking at me. So I fired my rifle at the bear and it ran away.

I’ve had other encounters with bears at the dump or while fishing or hiking. Couple of weeks ago was fishing and we saw about a dozen bears during the trip but they were pretty chill. Those were the two scariest ones. Otherwise, living in SW Alaska, you have lots of bear stories. This is going to be a lengthy post. Adding more bear stories would just make it much longer.

I have encountered tons of moose. Moose are a problem if: 1) it’s a cow with a young calf, usually Late April and May, so don’t get close, or 2) a rutting bull. They are unpredictable but that’s usually late September and October. Otherwise, moose are generally pretty chill. Had a friend pet one that was bedded down in thr snow while we were riding snow machines.

Scariest time of my life, though, had nothing to do with bears or moose. Well, moose were involved indirectly. A friend of mine was a teacher in our town (Aleknagik, just north of Dillingham where I worked). He shot a moose in the December season but he couldn’t get it all packed the day he shot it. Temperature was cold so spoilage wasn’t an issue. Bears would be hibernating. There was a Christmas program at school the day after he shot the moose and my daughter was in it so he asked if I could bring my snow machine sled (his sled was smaller) and we could get the rest of the moose. I said sure.

So after the event, we put on our cold weather gear and go for this moose. It’s dark. We have headlights though, and we know the way, but we don’t have a GPS. Temperature is in the single digits and dropping but we’ve got plenty of layers. Besides, it’s a quick trip up, grab the moose and come back.

The first part of the trail is through woods. Easy to see where you’re going. The woods end and you come out of the trail onto open tundra. We drove another 30 minutes or so to the area where Jared shot the moose. It starts to snow. We spend some time using headlights and flashlights till we find the culvert where the rest of the moose was. We pull up next to it and get it into my sled, strap it down and get ready to go. We’ve been so focused on this we didn’t really notice that the snow had really picked up.

We start back, following our tracks because now it’s really dark but snowing like a son of a bitch. Practically white out as we drive. The wind has also really picked up. We are going slower because I’ve got a sled full of moose and we are following tracks back. And as we go back, the tracks start disappearing. For longer and longer periods of time.

That was the most scared I’ve ever been. I had gear to take for being out overnight but I hadn’t brought it, nor had Jared. We were just going to go grab this moose. I realized that if I can’t follow the tracks back, I won’t know where the path is in the trees. Once in the trees, the path is easy to follow but the tundra is wide open and there are no reference points in the whiteout swirling snow. I realized even if I got to the trees, if I couldn’t see the path, I wouldn’t know whether to go right or left. It’s maybe 8:30 and daylight is about 10:30. Assuming the snow quits, that’s 14+ hours before they even start a rescue. We are probably 10-15 miles north of town. I didn’t have fire starting gear, blankets, sleeping bag, tarp or food. And my snow machine tracks are disappearing. I was seriously thinking of what we were going to do if we had to spend the night out there.

We made it to the trees and found the path back. We got to Jared’s house and walked in. Both of us stood there for a second and one of us, I can’t remember who, said, “We were so stupid.” I figure another 30 minutes and those tracks would have been gone, leading to a night in below zero blizzard conditions. I never went out again without gear for a possible overnight stay. I took the country very seriously.

I’ve had other scary moments: saw a friend going across the tundra on a snow machine. He rode over a creek that was thawing underneath. Snow cracked and he went into the creek. We got him out but it took a few hours to dig his snow machine out.

Had ice crack under me and back 2tires of 4 wheeler went in the lake. Had to be real careful crawling off the 4 wheeler and not break more ice. Fortunately was with other people and we weren’t far off the shore. Going down river with a buddy in his boat. He hit a huge rock in the shallow river. We didn’t think anything of it until we got onto the lake to come bike and realized the boat was rapidly filling with water.

Had a canoe flip over behind my house in late December. We lived right where Lake Aleknagik went into the Wood River and the water got shallow and narrow so even in winter, the current kept a spot of open water. 2 people died that night. One drowned and they never found his body. Another clung onto the canoe till it came to shore a few hundred yards away. He started crawling toward the street light by our house but he was wet and it was about -15 below. They found him frozen the next day. Another friend and I had to go rescue the third guy. He’d swum to the edge of the ice. He didn’t take off his gloves so when he tried to climb out, the wet gloves froze instantly to the ice. We figure that kept him from going under the ice and drowning. We spent several hours trying to get him warm once we got him into the house. That was exciting.

All in all, if you get out of your house, particularly if you get off the road system, Alaska will give you all kinds of scary/exciting experiences. It’s gorgeous country. You’ll see things you won’t see anywhere else. But treat the land, the conditions and the animals with respect because this land shows no mercy. It will kill you if you don’t treat it with respect.

*even though a late August, it was raining so it was dark-ish, dark enough we had flashlights.

frozenchief
10-06-2018, 01:26 PM
One day while I was in the Army up in Fairbanks AK, me and a few guys from my platoon were tasked with ambushing an infantry unit on patrol, it was an exercise meant to teach them how to properly react to it and maneuver to take out the aggressors

They spread 5 of us out about a mile or so apart along a prescribed path out in the boonies, one group of 3 and two solo ambushers

I was a solo ambusher, we were all equipped with MILES gear (basically a laser tag system) it fires a laser every time you fire a blank round in your M16, the purpose was to try and inflict casualties that the unit would have to deal with while responding

So a squad was scheduled to come by about once an hour for us to ambush, well I had just finished with the first squad to come by, and about 5 minutes later I hear the crunching sound of a massive animal walking around in this giant field of cane brush off to one side of me, this shit is like seven - eight feet tall and very thick, couldnt see into it more than a few feet

My heart starts racing immediately, I just KNEW it was a bear and I was scared shitless because NO ONE was around to help... so this goes on for several minutes, its just crunching around and I'm hoping it either stays in the cane field, or if it does come out of the field it does so down the way to my left or right

I'm huddled up against a tree, as quiet and still as a scared rabbit

I start thinking about how to defend myself if I have to, and those of you who've served are probably aware that a blank will fire one the cleaning rods from the rifle cleaning kit in the butt of an M16, hard enough to jam several inches of it into a tree

Sure as hell not what you WANT when facing a bear, but its the only thing I could cook up, so I drop one of the rods down the barrel... and wait...

Well this thing DID end up crashing out the field, 10 yards directly in front of me

At first I was at least a LITTLE relieved, it wasnt a bear... but a gigantic bull moose complete with huge rack, this thing was at least 8 foot at the shoulder... HUGE

Now you have to understand, moose trample several people a year up there to death, and this thing could've destroyed me... I knew for sure the cleaning rod would only piss it off if I'd had to fire it

It stopped just outside the brush and stared at me crouched down next to this tree for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only 30 seconds... then it gratefully walked off down the edge of that brush field

Thats as scared as I've ever been in my life, tied with the time a guy put a loaded gun to my head

Knowing moose and living in AK, that’s fairly humorous. I absolutely get why you’d be scared but looking back, you have to see the humor.

Now you have to tell about the guy with the gun.

Otter
10-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Another time, I was to start a trial on 9/11/01.

I hope I'm not being nit picky here but do you mean "trail" instead "trial". I would usually assume it's a misspelling but given the date...

frozenchief
10-06-2018, 01:48 PM
I hope I'm not being nit picky here but do you mean "trail" instead "trial". I would usually assume it's a misspelling but given the date...

No. I had a trial set to start 9/11. Because of that, I stayed late on 9/10 and saw the bear.

Interestingly, throughout Rural Alaska, jurors are flown in for jury duty. AK is 4hours behind East Coast so the planes hit about 5 something AK time. The no fly order came a bit after that and so we couldn’t get jurors that week. So the trial got moved.

Jurors are flown in because you have a right to a representative sampling of the jury pool area. Villages in Alaska are demographically different from hub cities like Bethel and Nome and there are very few roads in that part of the state so they fly the jurors in.

arrwheader
10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
I got lost in the woods of NW Arkansas driving to KC from Louisiana one weekend.

It was really dark, the roads were super twisty and I was operating on about 3 hours sleep.

I thought I was going to careen off the roads, hit a tree, have to start walking and get eaten by a bear.

I've never been more happy to see a sign for I-71 than I ever have coming out of those woods.

Similar situation for me as well. I didn’t want to pull over and sleep on one of the side roads in that area because I felt like I would be murdered by a truck driver.

Easy 6
10-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Knowing moose and living in AK, that’s fairly humorous. I absolutely get why you’d be scared but looking back, you have to see the humor.

Now you have to tell about the guy with the gun.

The on post housing the ex and I lived in had about a 4 foot high front porch, we used to stand on it and feed them fruits and veggies... they'd come down into post to eat because the snow wasnt as deep as it was in the woods

They were all over the place up there, but standing on a porch next to quick help is a lot different than being alone with one in the back 40

The gun story is much easier to tell

Back in high school, me and a buddy went to pick up his girlfriend, she lived kinda out in the country but there were several houses around

She was gonna sneak out of her bedroom window, so we parked a couple houses down... it was pretty late, like 11 or 12

Apparently one of the neighbors spotted us parking and turning our lights off, well he snuck up on us with me in the passenger seat, window down

All of the sudden I've got black snubnose parked right upside my head and this guy saying 'what in the **** are you guys doing out here?!'

I couldnt even bring myself to speak, but my buddy quickly told him what was up and he told us to get the **** outta Dodge... and so we did, quite rapidly

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 02:28 PM
I guess I'll hold off on my hornet's nest story for now.

seclark
10-06-2018, 05:40 PM
I guess I'll hold off on my hornet's nest story for now.

go ahead, you're nice.
sec

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 06:19 PM
go ahead, you're nice.
sec

I just said that to be funny - One time around 1990 off of Valley View Road in Blue Springs - I saw some lady that was wearing a dingy black robe style dress and she appeared to be in a trance holding a bible. She had just left the QT there on the corner - I later asked about her to the clerks, they'd indicated she's always in another world and seemed to be disturbed. I wasn't really scared but that felt wicket to me - we passed her a few times to observe (both arriving and leaving the Quicktrip)

kccrow
10-06-2018, 06:30 PM
I basically live in the wilderness, so not much get's my but puckered... It remains a bit unsettling to see wolves around your deer blind or a bear on the path to the truck. I will say though, being out fishing in the middle of a lake and watching a tornado form and touch down on the shoreline had me a bit puckered. That little boat couldn't go fast enough to the opposite shore where we were camped. Some big trees went down on campers and boat trailers that day, just a mess.

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 06:33 PM
I basically live in the wilderness, so not much get's my but puckered... It remains a bit unsettling to see wolves around your deer blind or a bear on the path to the truck. I will say though, being out fishing in the middle of a lake and watching a tornado form and touch down on the shoreline had me a bit puckered. That little boat couldn't go fast enough to the opposite shore where we were camped. Some big trees went down on campers and boat trailers that day, just a mess.

Fun! I always dream of tornadoes but have never seen one. Always in my dreams - I'm like; "Okay finally I get to see one!" as it forms in my head - then I wake.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Fun! I always dream of tornadoes but have never seen one. Always in my dreams - I'm like; "Okay finally I get to see one!" as it forms in my head - then I wake.

I have tornado dreams also in fact 3 nights ago. And BTW great thread!

kccrow
10-06-2018, 07:10 PM

They're pretty rare where I live, especially anything of any size. We might get one every 10 years that's an F1... Last time we had one that was "big" (for our parts) I was a kid and that was an F3. Hasn't been one like that since.

Otter
10-06-2018, 09:03 PM
I just said that to be funny - One time around 1990 off of Valley View Road in Blue Springs - I saw some lady that was wearing a dingy black robe style dress and she appeared to be in a trance holding a bible. She had just left the QT there on the corner - I later asked about her to the clerks, they'd indicated she's always in another world and seemed to be disturbed. I wasn't really scared but that felt wicket to me - we passed her a few times to observe (both arriving and leaving the Quicktrip)

Did you have to build a shelter and steel & flint up a campfire or was the Quicktrip open all night?

:D

Simply Red
10-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Did you have to build a shelter and steel & flint up a campfire or was the Quicktrip open all night?

:D

I was wondering if she was just backwoods or actually in a cult - something wasn't clicking w/ her.

Buehler445
10-07-2018, 03:59 AM
The wilderness here isn’t conducive to fear. I can see for miles in most places.

Been startled by rattle snakes. A couple times in cornfields I heard them but couldn’t see them. That’s not cool. Dad ran across one without a bead in his rattle and he was hoeing weeds in milo and couldn’t find his ass. Fortunately he struck at him but dad coincidentally blocked it with the hoe before he knew anything about it being there.

Fire though, fire is fuck. I’ve had a couple decent ones going. Always managed to get them under control but the intervening moments can get hairy especially if it moves toward your way out.

Dust storms are an asshole to get caught in.

I’m pretty boring.

Graystoke
10-07-2018, 07:57 AM
RAGBRAI. If you don't know what it is its 10,000 people riding their bike across Iowa in July.
The first year I did it I was young and didn't really know the routine of overnight towns and how all that logistic stuff worked.
SO, I roll into this town somewhere in Iowa after a day of drinking and riding. I set up my non-discript tent in what they called Tent City. Eager to go drink some more I took off right after tent set up to hook up with friends. After a hardy night of alcohol I wandered back to tent city and soon realized I had no idea what my tent looked like. So I do what drunk people do and just start opening up random tents looking to see if it was mine.
I got a lot of get the fuck out of my tents, random screams, and some old lady that was willing to let me in.
I never did find my tent that night and spent the night on the steps of the County Courthouse.
Scary stuff right?

Katipan
10-07-2018, 08:23 AM
One time I lost my wifi connection.

phisherman
10-07-2018, 08:31 AM

I was expecting a scary Devil's Backbone story, dude!

Bwana
10-07-2018, 09:13 AM
You know, other than running into a few bears and moose, I have been very lucky. I have been lost a couple times for a short period of time, but always kept my head and got out. Now with GPS, that would be damn near impossible to do.

After a few "what if that had gone another direction" incidents in the mountains, I always go prepared. I would say over kill in some cases. I know when I ATV with some of my friends, I have caught some crap over how loaded up my hard cases are with emergency equipment. The funny thing is, most of those same guys have needed something out of there on one of our adventures at one time or another.

My philosophy is, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, particularly my personal locator beacon. If someone gets really hurt, I can activate it via satellite anywhere in the world and help is on the way. I also take that to Belize every year and bring it along on the fishing trips. Some of those trips can get a little sketchy and some of guides are a little fly by night.

My .500 Smith & Wesson is one other thing I have strapped on at all times if I'm in grizzly bear/moose country, or my 45/70 guide rifle is over my shoulder, both loaded with very hot hard cast rounds.

There was a guide that was killed by two grizzly's a couple of weeks ago. The guides client shot an elk and the guide was cleaning the kill. Two Grizzly's came over the hill and worked over the dude (who ran off) and then killed the guide.

The guide made the fatal mistake of not having his pistol strapped on at the time, or his rifle within arms reach, he should have know better. His pistol was in a pack several yards away. The dude grabbed it but couldn't figure out how to fire the pistol. The dude then made a half hearted attempt of tossing the guide the gun before running off. They found the guides munched up body with a can of bear spray next to him that had been deployed.

That's a prime example of why I don't go up into the mountains with people I don't fully trust. Either my buddy and I are going to both be dead, or the bear is going to be taken out, no one is going to run off. With the guys I ride with, odds are it's going to be the bear.

I know my buddy rockymtnchief (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=8312) will have some good stories, he works outside everyday in the hills and mountains and has shared a few with me.

Simply Red
10-08-2018, 10:11 AM
You know, other than running into a few bears and moose, I have been very lucky. I have been lost a couple times for a short period of time, but always kept my head and got out. Now with GPS, that would be damn near impossible to do.

After a few "what if that had gone another direction" incidents in the mountains, I always go prepared. I would say over kill in some cases. I know when I ATV with some of my friends, I have caught some crap over how loaded up my hard cases are with emergency equipment. The funny thing is, most of those same guys have needed something out of there on one of our adventures at one time or another.

My philosophy is, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, particularly my personal locator beacon. If someone gets really hurt, I can activate it via satellite anywhere in the world and help is on the way. I also take that to Belize every year and bring it along on the fishing trips. Some of those trips can get a little sketchy and some of guides are a little fly by night.

My .500 Smith & Wesson is one other thing I have strapped on at all times if I'm in grizzly bear/moose country, or my 45/70 guide rifle is over my shoulder, both loaded with very hot hard cast rounds.

There was a guide that was killed by two grizzly's a couple of weeks ago. The guides client shot an elk and the guide was cleaning the kill. Two Grizzly's came over the hill and worked over the dude (who ran off) and then killed the guide.

The guide made the fatal mistake of not having his pistol strapped on at the time, or his rifle within arms reach, he should have know better. His pistol was in a pack several yards away. The dude grabbed it but couldn't figure out how to fire the pistol. The dude then made a half hearted attempt of tossing the guide the gun before running off. They found the guides munched up body with a can of bear spray next to him that had been deployed.

That's a prime example of why I don't go up into the mountains with people I don't fully trust. Either my buddy and I are going to both be dead, or the bear is going to be taken out, no one is going to run off. With the guys I ride with, odds are it's going to be the bear.

I know my buddy rockymtnchief (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=8312) will have some good stories, he works outside everyday in the hills and mountains and has shared a few with me.

At last - let me refill my coffee before I read this.

frozenchief
10-08-2018, 02:56 PM

That was complete chickenshit on behalf of the client. I prefer to fish than hunt but I have been hunting up here several times. Moose or caribou both are large enough that a second person to help clean a downed animal is extremely helpful. Because moose are so large, the usual deal is 2 people go hunting and they split the meat of a moose. Every time I have cleaned an animal, the holder has a gun on his person.

Here's an account involving someone I know from the area where I used to live:

https://thegreatwhitehunter.wordpress.com/the-longest-minute-terrifying-bear-attack/

Bwana:

You fly fish in Belize?

Buehler445
10-08-2018, 03:08 PM
It's DEFINITELY not mine, but here are some scary assed fucking wilderness stories. Listen to the whole thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PBTrYJ9UIGA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMAC
10-08-2018, 03:29 PM
I took my wife to the Indian Peaks Wilderness in the Rockies for a 5 day loop hike. About 3 miles into our day one we decided to take a side trail to a 12K+ lake. It was around 2PM when we hit the side trail thinking we could make it back to the main trail and hit our destined campsite before nightfall.

As we hit the tree line a fucking hail storm slammed us with damn near zero warning. The only warning I saw was a black cloud coming over the nearest peak. There really wasn't much to work with as far as a good spot to hunker down so I set my tent (MSR Hubba Hubba) on the flattest spot I could.

The rain and hail hit and the temp plummeted to mid 40s while I was still frantically getting the tent up. We got everything in but got fairly wet in the process. I was expecting this hail and rain to only last a few minutes to an hour but it lasted for 13 hours. It was tough to be stuck in a tent for that long and while not really scary...it was fucking frustrating. It just kept coming.

We finally escaped sopping wet and cold, walking back down mudslide switchbacks. When we got back to the main trail we took an immediate and definite turn back to the trailhead where we cranked the heat and drove straight to a laundry mat.

That night we found a kickass hostel in Grand Lake where we had a new appreciation for simple amenities. We set out again the next day with perfect weather for the rest of our trip.

BTW that MSR Hubba Hubba was a trooper.

DMAC
10-08-2018, 03:47 PM
And since you asked for wild animals, I was in Sequoia and was walking down a trail when a large object appeared in the corner of my eye. I turned to see a mama black bear and her two cubs only ten feet from me. She looked pissed. I just kept walking and she did nothing.

Or I battled her to the death with my pointy walking stick.

suzzer99
10-08-2018, 04:15 PM
I arrived in Fortuna, far Northern CA, about sundown. Normally I would have spent the night in a motel there. But CA-36 East, which I planned to take the next day, had a road closure starting at 8am. This meant I'd have to get up at like 6 and then what if there's a blockage and I can't make it to the road closure spot by 8?

So I decided to press on and hope to find a place to stay after the road closure spot. Turns out that road is pretty much 100 miles of windy mountainous nothing between Fortuna and Red Bluff. I was taking the turns as fast as possible, but still averaging only about 25 mph. I'm sure it's a gorgeous drive during the day - who knows how many massive drop-offs I was a few feet from. I did see one sketchy-looking bar, but nothing close to a motel.

Finally after about 70 miles, when I was doing everything to keep myself awake - I saw a sign for a campground and pulled in. It was completely empty, except one ratty mid-80s Buick backed in to a corner campsite up against a hill - like pretty much the spot and position you would pick if you were worried about some kind of ambush. There was no tent, and the car had sun shades covering the windshield. It was completely unclear if anyone was inside or not.

I found a campsite near the entrance, turned off my engine and got out to inspect it. No one likes a crowded campsite - but I sure would have welcomed one right there. Even completely empty would have been better than this situation. Am I in weed country? Probably. Meth country? Not sure.

I was trying to decide if I could really even fall asleep in this spot - when my headlights shut off (as they do automatically) - leaving me in utter pitch darkness. I fumbled my way back to the car, and just to freak myself out even further, I imagined what I would do if I felt someone grab me right at that moment. I swear the imagination was so real I almost thought it happened.

I started my car and just got the fuck out of there. The adrenaline carried me the last hour to Red Bluff.

BWillie
10-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Good Evening,

I just started what appears to be a really good movie called 'Hold the Dark' - It prompted me to ask CP - what situations, observations or any other 'tions - have you experienced away from civilization in which had you scared for you life?

Animals, weather, devil worshipers? Primarily what I'm looking for is wild animal encounters.

I know we have quite a few in the Pacific NW that post on here. (bears maybe?)

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting stories regarding this...?

I'd love to hear them...

Thanks

2008. I was at a lake with some pals. We were staying at a well known hotel in the area and we had rented a boat. I had a little too much, so when getting off of the boat I was expected to help navigate like Magellan and then tie the boat up. Well I was a little too intoxicated to do that effectively so one of my buddies got kind of pissed.

I rolled over off the boat and onto the dock where I slept - okay - passed out for about 20 minutes. I awaken to a police officer poking me with his foot. I looked very confused. He asked me who I was if I had id - I didn't because I was in fucking board shorts. He wanted to make sure I returned safely to wherever I was supposed to be so I told him where I was staying - I called from the nearby phone and they had no record of me being there. I told him who rented the boat at the nearby boat place - they had no idea what I was talking about. I then called my buddy (must have misdialed) and it said it wasn't a valid number. I started to freak out and honestly at the time thought I had quantum leaped or something - and had an out of body experience and had left my current life and did not exist. Eventually the cop just let me leave so I decided start my new life by venturing into the nearby forest to search for life's meaning.

Luckily my friends were watching this the whole time laughing their ass off on a nearby shoreline and stopped me before I fought a wolf.

Bwana
10-08-2018, 04:32 PM
That was complete chickenshit on behalf of the client. I prefer to fish than hunt but I have been hunting up here several times. Moose or caribou both are large enough that a second person to help clean a downed animal is extremely helpful. Because moose are so large, the usual deal is 2 people go hunting and they split the meat of a moose. Every time I have cleaned an animal, the holder has a gun on his person.

Here's an account involving someone I know from the area where I used to live:

https://thegreatwhitehunter.wordpress.com/the-longest-minute-terrifying-bear-attack/

Bwana:

You fly fish in Belize?

Good article and some very good lessons in it. My philosophy is, always assume a bear is in the area in that situation. The biggest problem we have around here is the fact that grizzly bear hunting has been banned for decades because they were considered endangered. They are so over populated now it's nuts.

The extremely dangerous situation that has resulted from them not being hunted, is they have no fear of humans. Another undesirable thing that has happened is when they hear a rifle shot, they think of it as a dinner bell. They know if there is a shot that there is going to be a fresh elk or deer and they come running. That's why I'm so cautious after I shoot. You either have your head on a swivel, or you could be dead really quick.

As far a Belize, yes I fish and fly fish over there. Great bone fishing with the fly rods.

MOhillbilly
10-08-2018, 06:38 PM
When we were kids we'd turn our lights off and crawl out.of the cave

Simply Red
10-08-2018, 07:40 PM
It's DEFINITELY not mine, but here are some scary assed ****ing wilderness stories. Listen to the whole thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PBTrYJ9UIGA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks I will watch tomorrow - i'm in the middle of a great movie - thanks all of you for sharing - Dmac and others that's some good shit.

rockymtnchief
10-09-2018, 08:09 PM
I was hiking a pole line by myself through the woods when I came across a cow with it's throat ripped out. I hiked down the mountain to inform the rancher and he told me it was the 6th one killed, but not eaten, that month.

I hiked back up the mountain and went back to work. About 30 minutes later, I heard a large caliber gun shot and it's target was very close to me. I stayed near a tree until I saw the rancher hike up the mountain. He was watching me hiking and noticed something stalking me. Sure enough, it was the mountain lion that was killing his cattle. He dropped it about 25 yards behind me. I still had six miles of work to do and spent the rest of the day a nervous wreck wondering what else was behind me.

Another time, I was working along side the road when a black bear came flying down the hill straight at me. I had nothing but a wrench and a damn barbed wire fence right behind me. No where to run and nothing to defend myself with. Luckily, it was running away from something and not attacking me. It got about 10 feet from me, suddenly realized I was there and took a sharp right and ran up the mountain. I took a sharp left, climbed the fence and drove back to the office and spent the rest of the day behind a locked door.

Then, around 8 years ago, I went hiking and grabbed the wrong backpack. It had everything I needed except my bear spray and pistol. I cussed myself at the trailhead, but went anyway. I had the wind at my back and yelled every 5 minutes or so to scare any predators off.

After I reached the top of the mountain, it was time to back track on the same trail. I felt pretty confident I scared everything in the valley away so I didn't bother yelling anymore.

About half way down, I came to a big rock and tree that had a narrow gap to hike through. Just as I stepped through it, I found myself 3 feet from a bear that was just as startled as I was. It started huffing and grunting at me and the only words I could get out of my mouth were "shit...shit...shit...shit". Luckily, I stayed cool and said my cuss words in a soft tone and it didn't attack. I stepped back through the passage and hiked back about 100 yards. I hiked down the valley bottom and got on the other ridge and had to blaze a trail. I could see the bear sitting where I last saw it and hiked down hill from it. I eventually got back on the trail knowing that it was now behind, but I was real nervous because I didn't know if it was coming behind me or going the other way.

Fast forward, about a mile down the trail. I see something out of the corner of my eye fly up a tree. I'd spooked a mountain lion up a tree and it was giving me the stink eye, but didn't growl. I wanted to run, but knew that was the worst thing I could do. I ended up walking the last two miles alternating between walking normal and walking backwards to watch if anything was coming up behind me. I felt like I had a "lunch" sign on my back.

Okay...one more. I had to hike another pole line and was warned that there was a mean bull in the area. I saw the bull during the hike and kept an eye on him. About a half hour later, I could here something coming up behind me. When I'd stop, it would stop. When I would walk, I could here it stepping on leaves/twigs/rocks. This went on for about 20 minutes and I was getting pretty worried. I had just started walking again and it finally decided to attack! Three pygmy goats came up behind me and started head-butting my ankles and calves. I ended up scratching and petting them and made some new friends. They had collars so I let them follow me to the truck and I took them back to their owner.

In the last month, in my work truck, I've had a moose run by me at around 10 feet away and a grizzly trot right next to my truck door. It was cool to see, but I was damn glad I was inside the rig.

As far as Bwana...that guy does take a LOT of stuff on ATV trips. I think his gear weighs more than his ATV. Of course, half that weight is beer. He should post the video of him hitting a boulder at 30 mph and all his gear flying into the creek. I've never seen so many sandwich bags filled with electronics in my life! ROFLROFLROFL

Sorry...TL/DR

Bob Dole
10-09-2018, 08:32 PM
A raccoon ripped open a trash bag next to my house.

The end.

KS Smitty
10-09-2018, 09:42 PM
A raccoon ripped open a trash bag next to my house.

The end.

Ours was 'possums in the camping trash.

We went to the drive-in (yeah this was long ago) and watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) and The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Afterwards we went out in the country, found a corn field, followed tracks to the center and started making out. Suddenly lots of rustling and stomping around, we left pronto although I'm 99% sure it was just deer, coons and/or possoms having supper. :shake:

I grew up with lots of older people, brothers, their friends, friends brothers/sisters and their friends constantly trying to scare us (and succeeding) so lots of lulz scared the shit outta me stories but nothing real like RMC.

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 10:03 PM
I was hiking a pole line by myself through the woods when I came across a cow with it's throat ripped out. I hiked down the mountain to inform the rancher and he told me it was the 6th one killed, but not eaten, that month.

I hiked back up the mountain and went back to work. About 30 minutes later, I heard a large caliber gun shot and it's target was very close to me. I stayed near a tree until I saw the rancher hike up the mountain. He was watching me hiking and noticed something stalking me. Sure enough, it was the mountain lion that was killing his cattle. He dropped it about 25 yards behind me. I still had six miles of work to do and spent the rest of the day a nervous wreck wondering what else was behind me.

Another time, I was working along side the road when a black bear came flying down the hill straight at me. I had nothing but a wrench and a damn barbed wire fence right behind me. No where to run and nothing to defend myself with. Luckily, it was running away from something and not attacking me. It got about 10 feet from me, suddenly realized I was there and took a sharp right and ran up the mountain. I took a sharp left, climbed the fence and drove back to the office and spent the rest of the day behind a locked door.

Then, around 8 years ago, I went hiking and grabbed the wrong backpack. It had everything I needed except my bear spray and pistol. I cussed myself at the trailhead, but went anyway. I had the wind at my back and yelled every 5 minutes or so to scare any predators off.

After I reached the top of the mountain, it was time to back track on the same trail. I felt pretty confident I scared everything in the valley away so I didn't bother yelling anymore.

About half way down, I came to a big rock and tree that had a narrow gap to hike through. Just as I stepped through it, I found myself 3 feet from a bear that was just as startled as I was. It started huffing and grunting at me and the only words I could get out of my mouth were "shit...shit...shit...shit". Luckily, I stayed cool and said my cuss words in a soft tone and it didn't attack. I stepped back through the passage and hiked back about 100 yards. I hiked down the valley bottom and got on the other ridge and had to blaze a trail. I could see the bear sitting where I last saw it and hiked down hill from it. I eventually got back on the trail knowing that it was now behind, but I was real nervous because I didn't know if it was coming behind me or going the other way.

Fast forward, about a mile down the trail. I see something out of the corner of my eye fly up a tree. I'd spooked a mountain lion up a tree and it was giving me the stink eye, but didn't growl. I wanted to run, but knew that was the worst thing I could do. I ended up walking the last two miles alternating between walking normal and walking backwards to watch if anything was coming up behind me. I felt like I had a "lunch" sign on my back.

Okay...one more. I had to hike another pole line and was warned that there was a mean bull in the area. I saw the bull during the hike and kept an eye on him. About a half hour later, I could here something coming up behind me. When I'd stop, it would stop. When I would walk, I could here it stepping on leaves/twigs/rocks. This went on for about 20 minutes and I was getting pretty worried. I had just started walking again and it finally decided to attack! Three pygmy goats came up behind me and started head-butting my ankles and calves. I ended up scratching and petting them and made some new friends. They had collars so I let them follow me to the truck and I took them back to their owner.

In the last month, in my work truck, I've had a moose run by me at around 10 feet away and a grizzly trot right next to my truck door. It was cool to see, but I was damn glad I was inside the rig.

As far as Bwana...that guy does take a LOT of stuff on ATV trips. I think his gear weighs more than his ATV. Of course, half that weight is beer. He should post the video of him hitting a boulder at 30 mph and all his gear flying into the creek. I've never seen so many sandwich bags filled with electronics in my life! ROFLROFLROFL

Sorry...TL/DR

Thank you that was great!

ChiefsFanatic
10-09-2018, 10:06 PM
I grew up next to Donald Zarda. I am sure that last name is familiar to everyone from KC. My house was a dump, but about a half mile around the corner was Donnie's house.

He had an entire shed as a clubhouse, that had a phone, and TV etc. It's wasn't super posh, but it was more than this poor kid had in his actual house.

The shed backed up to a pasture, with horses roaming free. His parents and sisters were gone, and we had been left alone to goof off. I was 9 and he was 8. Alone. At night.

It was the middle of summer, and we were going back and forth from the house, to his clubhouse, to the pool, and back, doing dumb things kids that age do when left alone. We scared ourselves trying to fry eggs, because we were both afraid of getting burnt.

So, it's pitch black outside, and we decided to go back out to the clubhouse, I forget why, but it seemed important at the time. Anyway, it's dark, and neither one of us will admit to it, but it was scary. So, as we are making our way, the horses started going bananas. I grew up on a farm, so I knew that horses just don't randomly go apeshit for no reason.

So, being an experienced 9 year old ranch hand, I suggested we go see what's wrong with the horses. I was afraid that one of them would run into the barbed wire fence, because a spooked horse isn't a very rational horse. It took a minute, but I convinced him that it needed to be done. So, again, I have experience with horses, and we approach from the better side of the fence.

By 9 years old I could saddle a horse, and cinch it fairly tight. I was also good with bridles, etc. and I had literally spent entire days on my horse, galloping around our pasture, even falling asleep in the saddle, and staying out so late my father had to scour the literal back 40 to find me. But at 9 my parents divorced, the horses were gone, and my mom was broke. It was 1980 and I had some delusion that impressing a rich guy like Donnie's dad would help my mom. Again, I was 9.

So, we approach the corner of the fence where we can get as close as possible to the bezerker horses without being in too much danger. And sure enough, one of the horses was tangled in the fence, and the other 10 were not taking it very well, and they were still spooked by something close to the edge of the woods. Now, I don't care so much about impressing anyone, as I am very worried about the horse. Barbed wire can shred a horse, because from head to toe they are just a huge muscle with a brain. But that brain can't understand why thrashing around doesn't free itself from the situation.

Against his advice, I climbed through the fence, and approached the horse making every reassuring click and pop my little mouth can muster. When you are calm, the horse will be calm. I asked Donnie to shake the feed bucket to draw the other horses away, and I take the snips and start cutting the barbed wire away. I know that I am going to have to twist the wire in some way, after the horse is free, to close the gap in the fence.

It's dark, my adrenaline is pumping hard, and the other horses didn't seem to care about the food. Spooked horses spook horses, and it becomes a cycle, and I say to hell with it, and just go as fast as I can cutting the barbed wire because it was starting to seem like a bad idea to be near this horse and sharp fencing when the crazy train came back around. Donnie climber through the fence to help, and then we hear something in the woods behind us. The horses heard it too, and seemed to be telling me, see I told you something scary is out there.

The poor horse is bleeding, and while it had kind of exhausted itself and given up struggling, this new round of pandemonium re-energized the poor guy. Finally I just yanked the barbed wire, cutting the horse's chest even worse, but I was 9 and my hero adrenaline was quickly becoming scared shirtless adrenaline. Finally, the horse is free, and just in time because whatever was in the woods was getting much closer. It was faster for us to run to the house through the pasture than it was maneuvering back around the fence.

So we take off running. It felt like we had rockets on our shoes. And then, out of nowhere, a couple of men breach the treeline, and it's really dark, but these weren't men who belonged there. We were about two thirds of the way to the house, and when we peaked back, they were running too. We blasted through gate, and by the pool, and into the house. And as we closed the sliding glass door we could see them and they could see us. And it confirmed that they weren't neighbors, and we didn't know them.

We hit the lights, and we're now screaming and crying, terrified, as we ran to a nearby closet, and jumped in and closed the door. Why a closet? It just instinctively seemed like the way to safety, and we didn't even discuss it, we just ended up in the closet. Now we had stopped crying, and started to talk out what we should do next. Then BOOM, BOOM, Boom. They were beating on the sliding glass door. And we couldn't hear what they were saying, but it was definitely laced with anger and bad intentions.

Now there was pounding on the front door too. This made the situation seem much worse. We didn't say it, but I know I was thinking that I wish we hadn't begged his dad to let us stay home alone. Donnie was a great person, with a great heart, but looking back he was kinda spoiled and I don't think his dad said no too often. So, with plan formulated, we just had to be brave enough to make it to the kitchen, which required passing the sliding glass door, and call the older couple who lived on the corner between our two houses.

I don't know how old they were, but they were very nice, and we would stop at their house when we were walking to or from each other's house. The woman always gave us cookies or lemonade, and we thought they would be able to save us if we could only call them. It was about a quarter of a mile from his house to theirs. But we couldn't leave the closet. And we were nervously giving these men back stories, like escaped prisoners, or horse thieves, etc. Finally, the pounding stopped.

I don't know how long we stayed in the closet, but it seemed like a long time. We were finally brave enough to make it to the kitchen and call the neighbors. They told us to run over, and they would watch for us and they assured us that if we weren't there in a couple of minutes they would come get us. I am sure they just thought we were being dumb kids, who had told each other scary stories, and just scared ourselves. I am pretty sure that I had never run that fast in my life.

We made it to their house, and proceeded to tell our story. She cleaned the cuts on my hand, and probably put peroxide on it, but it stung really bad. The old man told me it was brave and stupid at the same time, for me to cut the horse loose. After some cookies and sweet tea or lemonade, Donnie's dad came came home and came and got us. He was pretty dismissive, and I am sure we sounded ridiculous telling the story. We had already added some embellishments to the story, not in order to lie, but our imaginations turned fears into facts. His dad dropped me off at home, as I was originally spending the night, but just couldn't do it after all the terror and the adrenaline dump.

Turns out, those guys had been crossing fields for a while, and had used a .22 rifle to shoot and killed a couple of family dogs, and wounded a horse badly enough it had to be put down. I don't remember if they had stolen anything on their trespassing spree or not, but I didn't sleep for a few months because I kept having nightmares.

It was one of the scariest days of my life. I have actually had nightmares about that night well into adulthood. I think cars driving up and down the nearby road probably scared them off. The lights to the pool were on, so they would have been visible to cars on that side. Not that anyone could have pointed them out to police. At the time I had their faces seared into my brain, and I could relive the moment that our eyes met through the sliding glass door in slow motion. Now, I really can't remember what either of them looked like.

Sadly, Donnie passed away a couple of years ago, in Europe, base jumping off a cliff in a wing suit. He dropped in at the wrong time, and the wind slammed him against the cliff. But he posthumously helped every member of the LGBTQ with this court case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/nyregion/gender-discrimination-civil-rights-lawsuit-zarda.html

The world was a better place with him in it.

If you read the entire post, thank you. And to those that didn't, I don't blame you, as it was more like a short story than a bulletin board post/reply.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ROYC75
10-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Delete, duplicate post.

ROYC75
10-09-2018, 11:07 PM
In 2007, I took the wife on a month long trip to the Northeast. We traveled to NYC to stay for 1.5 weeks with our son and family. My wife's brother lives in Hampton NH and they had a cabin rented in the northern part of the White Mtns. ( Beautiful country up there BTW) So off we went, got to their cabin around 8PM from NYC. Here we are ready to bed it down around 1AM after visiting, my BIL's (Brian) daughter (Brandy) comes in crying that her husband ( Jimmy )left their cabin and is missing.

Now to complicate the matter worst, he was drunk, he dose drugs, and they had just had a fight in their cabin, 2 hrs prior. To even complicate things more, Brian had showed me pictures of a BIG black bear that had visited the campgrounds the night before and the HUGH scratchs he left on a tree, just 2 cabins down from us. Brandy, a crying drunk by now blames herself he's missing, he's out there in the wilderness, our frigging back door.

Daddy, daddy, you have to go look for him, you have to,he's drunk, he could fall off a cliff, get ate by a bear(s). :eek: I'm like, call the police, the park rangers, let them handle this. No No No, you can't, he will be arrested! I'm like so what, better than us getting ate by a bear!

Well, daddy's lil girl got her wish! Daddy was going to go from end to end of the campground and a few yards into the timber.:eek: I'm like, Brian, are you F***ING NUTS! It's not safe out there at night, he says you are right, stay here, I'll go a lone! :shake:

My wife is like, you can't let my baby brother ( who was 8 yrs younger than I )go out there a lone! You have to go with him. I'm like, damn baby, he's big enough that bear isn't going to need to eat me too! ( Which I wasn't letting him go alone ) Well, that pissed her off and I continued to tell all of them it's ludicrous for us to look for him when there are park rangers and police better equipped for this. Brian wasn't having any part of the authorities in this, he was going out there.

Off to my car to get a few survival items, some professional strength mace that shoots 10 - 15 feet downwind and a powerful flashlight. Brian had a flashlight, that is it, no guns?:eek: Now I really don't like this idea, my years of police training and camping skills do little for me at night with a possible bear encounter and not knowing the area!

For an hour, we go quietly throughout the campground not to wake up the campers. Checking all the public bath rooms, showers, any place where he could be passed out at. No place, we have looked everywhere on the campgrounds, this asshole is nowhere where we have looked. Brian says the timber! I said WHAT? We do not need to go out there. He says, Well I'm only going 25, maybe 50 yards out. :eek:

I informed him, it's been 3.5 hrs now, if that drunk bastard is out there, he probably ran into a bear and f**king dead by now, we don't need to join him. Brian was going anyways, he was not listening to anything I said. So not letting him go alone, we took off, slowly walking about 20 yards in because the terrain at the base of the mountains on the NE side of the camp was rocky with heavy pine trees. I immediately found us 2 somewhat green limbs we could use as club if needed, plus to use to stabilize our walking. He said, what are the tree branches for, I told him we can use them to walk with and maybe defend ourselves with. He said if we found a bear, the sticks won't help, just run like hell. I said look at this terrain, we will never survive the run on these rocks and you can't out run a bear. He said, All I have to do is out run you! Gosh damn, he was right, at the time I was about 310 lbs!:deevee:

Have you ever been out in the timber at night, no cities for miles. No lights to be found, except the stars! Freaking Pitch Dark as hell ! Every now and then we would come to a small clearing, the stars are beautiful with no lights around, crap, I'm starting to get cold in shorts. It's been another 1.5 hrs walking the terrain, just 20-40 yards into the timber from the campground. So we get to the farthest end of the campground and decide to head back to the cabins since we have not spoken to the women in a while, there was no or very poor cell phone signal on the campground between the mountains.

We go walking past the main pool area, restrooms, showers, etc. Brian had checked this area earlier, I decided to go have a look. Everything is locked up inside a chain link fence, I still had my makeshift club, so I whacked the bathroom wall as well as the shower walls, yelling for him and getting pissed off more and more by the moment. Then it happened..........

ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME?

That MF answered, he is in the freaking bathroom. Told us he sat down earlier on the shitter and must of passed out! I said, must have ? 5 f***ing hours later, MUST HAVE ? Apparently the night ranger didn't check it before he locked the gate up. He's like, Hey, how do I get out of here? ( Now, I do not know this cat, have never met him ) I'm like I don't give a shit, climb the fence you asshole and walked away! I mentioned to Brian, I found him. Man Brian was pissed, called him every name imaginable. All Jim would do was disrespect us in the worst way. We made it back to the cabin, advised the women folk of finding the drunk asshole. Jim continued to act the same way and I told him to have a little respect, everybody was concerned a bear found your ass after invading the camp the night before. He started to mouth off to me when Brian stepped in and Jim got stupid enough to swing at Brian. Well shit, now its fight on, or at least an incident. Brian literally beat the shit out of the drunk asshole, so bad I had to pull Brian off before he killed him. He slept in the car the rest of the night and next morning.

Oh, thread title, scared out in the wilderness ? Yeah, I f***ing was that night, just not knowing the area and the size of that black bear from the night before, it was freaking HUGH man! Now I don't scare easy but that night, yeah I was not in my comfort zone.

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:15 PM
I grew up next to Donald Zarda. I am sure that last name is familiar to everyone from KC. My house was a dump, but about a half mile around the corner was Donnie's house.

He had an entire shed as a clubhouse, that had a phone, and TV etc. It's wasn't super posh, but it was more than this poor kid had in his actual house.

The shed backed up to a pasture, with horses roaming free. His parents and sisters were gone, and we had been left alone to goof off. I was 9 and he was 8. Alone. At night.

It was the middle of summer, and we were going back and forth from the house, to his clubhouse, to the pool, and back, doing dumb things kids that age do when left alone. We scared ourselves trying to fry eggs, because we were both afraid of getting burnt.

So, it's pitch black outside, and we decided to go back out to the clubhouse, I forget why, but it seemed important at the time. Anyway, it's dark, and neither one of us will admit to it, but it was scary. So, as we are making our way, the horses started going bananas. I grew up on a farm, so I knew that horses just don't randomly go apeshit for no reason.

So, being an experienced 9 year old ranch hand, I suggested we go see what's wrong with the horses. I was afraid that one of them would run into the barbed wire fence, because a spooked horse isn't a very rational horse. It took a minute, but I convinced him that it needed to be done. So, again, I have experience with horses, and we approach from the better side of the fence.

By 9 years old I could saddle a horse, and cinch it fairly tight. I was also good with bridles, etc. and I had literally spent entire days on my horse, galloping around our pasture, even falling asleep in the saddle, and staying out so late my father had to scour the literal back 40 to find me. But at 9 my parents divorced, the horses were gone, and my mom was broke. It was 1980 and I had some delusion that impressing a rich guy like Donnie's dad would help my mom. Again, I was 9.

So, we approach the corner of the fence where we can get as close as possible to the bezerker horses without being in too much danger. And sure enough, one of the horses was tangled in the fence, and the other 10 were not taking it very well, and they were still spooked by something close to the edge of the woods. Now, I don't care so much about impressing anyone, as I am very worried about the horse. Barbed wire can shred a horse, because from head to toe they are just a huge muscle with a brain. But that brain can't understand why thrashing around doesn't free itself from the situation.

Against his advice, I climbed through the fence, and approached the horse making every reassuring click and pop my little mouth can muster. When you are calm, the horse will be calm. I asked Donnie to shake the feed bucket to draw the other horses away, and I take the snips and start cutting the barbed wire away. I know that I am going to have to twist the wire in some way, after the horse is free, to close the gap in the fence.

It's dark, my adrenaline is pumping hard, and the other horses didn't seem to care about the food. Spooked horses spook horses, and it becomes a cycle, and I say to hell with it, and just go as fast as I can cutting the barbed wire because it was starting to seem like a bad idea to be near this horse and sharp fencing when the crazy train came back around. Donnie climber through the fence to help, and then we hear something in the woods behind us. The horses heard it too, and seemed to be telling me, see I told you something scary is out there.

The poor horse is bleeding, and while it had kind of exhausted itself and given up struggling, this new round of pandemonium re-energized the poor guy. Finally I just yanked the barbed wire, cutting the horse's chest even worse, but I was 9 and my hero adrenaline was quickly becoming scared shirtless adrenaline. Finally, the horse is free, and just in time because whatever was in the woods was getting much closer. It was faster for us to run to the house through the pasture than it was maneuvering back around the fence.

So we take off running. It felt like we had rockets on our shoes. And then, out of nowhere, a couple of men breach the treeline, and it's really dark, but these weren't men who belonged there. We were about two thirds of the way to the house, and when we peaked back, they were running too. We blasted through gate, and by the pool, and into the house. And as we closed the sliding glass door we could see them and they could see us. And it confirmed that they weren't neighbors, and we didn't know them.

We hit the lights, and we're now screaming and crying, terrified, as we ran to a nearby closet, and jumped in and closed the door. Why a closet? It just instinctively seemed like the way to safety, and we didn't even discuss it, we just ended up in the closet. Now we had stopped crying, and started to talk out what we should do next. Then BOOM, BOOM, Boom. They were beating on the sliding glass door. And we couldn't hear what they were saying, but it was definitely laced with anger and bad intentions.

Now there was pounding on the front door too. This made the situation seem much worse. We didn't say it, but I know I was thinking that I wish we hadn't begged his dad to let us stay home alone. Donnie was a great person, with a great heart, but looking back he was kinda spoiled and I don't think his dad said no too often. So, with plan formulated, we just had to be brave enough to make it to the kitchen, which required passing the sliding glass door, and call the older couple who lived on the corner between our two houses.

I don't know how old they were, but they were very nice, and we would stop at their house when we were walking to or from each other's house. The woman always gave us cookies or lemonade, and we thought they would be able to save us if we could only call them. It was about a quarter of a mile from his house to theirs. But we couldn't leave the closet. And we were nervously giving these men back stories, like escaped prisoners, or horse thieves, etc. Finally, the pounding stopped.

I don't know how long we stayed in the closet, but it seemed like a long time. We were finally brave enough to make it to the kitchen and call the neighbors. They told us to run over, and they would watch for us and they assured us that if we weren't there in a couple of minutes they would come get us. I am sure they just thought we were being dumb kids, who had told each other scary stories, and just scared ourselves. I am pretty sure that I had never run that fast in my life.

We made it to their house, and proceeded to tell our story. She cleaned the cuts on my hand, and probably put peroxide on it, but it stung really bad. The old man told me it was brave and stupid at the same time, for me to cut the horse loose. After some cookies and sweet tea or lemonade, Donnie's dad came came home and came and got us. He was pretty dismissive, and I am sure we sounded ridiculous telling the story. We had already added some embellishments to the story, not in order to lie, but our imaginations turned fears into facts. His dad dropped me off at home, as I was originally spending the night, but just couldn't do it after all the terror and the adrenaline dump.

Turns out, those guys had been crossing fields for a while, and had used a .22 rifle to shoot and killed a couple of family dogs, and wounded a horse badly enough it had to be put down. I don't remember if they had stolen anything on their trespassing spree or not, but I didn't sleep for a few months because I kept having nightmares.

It was one of the scariest days of my life. I have actually had nightmares about that night well into adulthood. I think cars driving up and down the nearby road probably scared them off. The lights to the pool were on, so they would have been visible to cars on that side. Not that anyone could have pointed them out to police. At the time I had their faces seared into my brain, and I could relive the moment that our eyes met through the sliding glass door in slow motion. Now, I really can't remember what either of them looked like.

Sadly, Donnie passed away a couple of years ago, in Europe, base jumping off a cliff in a wing suit. He dropped in at the wrong time, and the wind slammed him against the cliff. But he posthumously helped every member of the LGBTQ with this court case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/nyregion/gender-discrimination-civil-rights-lawsuit-zarda.html

The world was a better place with him in it.

If you read the entire post, thank you. And to those that didn't, I don't blame you, as it was more like a short story than a bulletin board post/reply.

I know we'd talked a few years ago - I'm sure we know a lot of the same people - sorry about Donnie - that's awful - seemed like a good dude - I never knew him. Now he was Mike's nephew, right? Donnie's father was the founder of the Dairy side of Zarda, correct? Where was all of this, out working toward Independence off of 40 or something? I'm trying to recall what you told me. Donnie graduated between my cousin's year and my sisters. So no real connection to the name. But I do know Mike Zarda. Thanks for sharing - that's interesting.

Naptown Chief
10-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Uh, I was browsing the wilderness that is chiefsplanet and came across this gem. Was this guy slow, a junkie, slow from too many years of junkie-ing? Not my story per say but it's kinda scary that someone would take ANY forum this seriously...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=18914&page=1

Before we bid the Planet adieu, I would like to address its members, especially CootieZ & Histimage, or Estimate, or whatever he calls himself.

I wondered what happened here at first, but it didn't take me long to figure out what the deal was after a while.

To the members of the Planet who don't know the story & who jumped on me, just to follow suit with their leaders, I saay to you I came here in the beginning with no ill will. One of the reasons for me coming was a pesty member of your community named ChiefPriority, who was doing what you all accused me of being so notorious for. And that would be PIMPING THE SITE. Priority does not only do this on my board, he has done it on others. But I wanted to get along. I was building my site. I had some enemies. My intentions were pure. And I wanted to make friends.

What I want the fans who don't know the story to realize is that politics has played into this whole matter in a very deevious way. The owner of Supergans.net & I are foes. I have reason to believe that some of the members here are alligned in some way with either the egomaniac who owns the site, or 1 of his minions. Let em say one thing about Superfans Chiefs' board. Even though Marc & I are at odds, the Superfans site & Chiefs board, as far as I'm concerned, is ten times better thatn this board here. I'm disrespecting this board like it has done to me so I can say what I feel at this point. I would never have said this if I was not treated in such a manner. We all get ideas for our businesses & what we do in different ways. I will openly admit that when I first ventured onto the internet to a Chiefs board, that the first board I looked at was the Superfans Chiefs board. This was the best board I had ever laid my eyes on, on the whole net, & still is as far as I'm concerned. Even though the owner & I are foes. And probably will always be foes. A great business man & builder that he is, is as poor of a judge of character that he is, too. Along with being extermely paranoid that someone is going to steal his crown.

I feel that nepachiefs right now is one of the best boards on the net. As far as the admin of this site go, personally I don't care who you contact. It does not matter if it's Bravenet, or AOL. To me that is ridiculous. And I laugh in your faces for being both idiotic & disrespectful to me. Your members have insulted the way we look & said unspeakable things about our character. There's obviously something wrong here.

For all the members who see this, I would like to inform you that PACHIEFS fan was put on here to cause this very problem. I had an email from a Chiefs fan earlier by the name of Hydrae, confessing to me that they were waiting for me here, & that MC, head of Superfans, may have been in on the plan. They've gained nothing. But made me even stronger, as well as amusing me & giving me the opportunity to say what I am going to say next.

Time For Change. As far as I'm concerned, the Chiefs Planet, although they do have good traffic, is dull & drab. I do not think of football when I come here. I feel like I am incarcerated, looking at all grey & white walls. I'm sure you will pick something out of that one. I'm inviting the members here who are sick of this dull & cloudy grey world to visit us on nepachiefs. You can disagree with me all day if you'd like. That is nonsense what you have heard. You will feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz when she exits that dull black & white world & enters the colorful Land of OZ. Only there, you'll find no fake wizard, like the one you obviously have here.

You people have only been shown one side, & I am surprised that you would judge me so quickly without getting to know me. As far as pictures & my lady, she is a normal girl who likes clothing & fashion. She stays in good shape all while holding down a very important position an one of our local medical facilities. She sees tragedy every day. That's why this cannot happen any longer. We are here to enjoy the Chiefs & have fun. Not engage in feuds.

As far as my Christian brother, KCJohnny, the red carpet is laid out for you. Come & enjoy good ol' football. We'll be waiting for you. And we'll also be waiting for you people who amusingly think you will destroy me. NEVER!!!!

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:41 PM
JD Prez still runs rampant among the wild that is CP - he's not very liked by the original refugees - I never really interacted with him - though his last days on CP as that user-name were well within my first couple years of posting, he's around Lurch's generation of posters. But there's some bad history there, that I know a little about, just not too much.

scho63
10-10-2018, 12:06 AM
One day I thought about going camping. About 15 minutes later that thought passed.

That is all I have on this topic. :shrug:

Naptown Chief
10-10-2018, 12:10 AM
JD Prez still runs rampant among the wild that is CP - he's not very liked by the original refugees - I never really interacted with him - though his last days on CP as that user-name were well within my first couple years of posting, he's around Lurch's generation of posters. But there's some bad history there, that I know a little about, just not too much.

Yeah, I skimmed through enough threads to get a general idea of the situation. The Kirstie Tynes thing was a good time killer too

tooge
10-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Too many to list them all. Here's a few.
Out on Mille Lacs lake in Mn several years ago. We were about 7 miles out (on 7 mile flat) when a microburst came in. My boat was a 16' deep V hull. We had 5 foot waves and at least 40mph winds in an instant. I thought for sure we were going down. I crawled along in the boat, measuring each and every freaking wave to minimize the amount of water coming over the bow. Sometimes the bow would hit a good 2' into the next wave and soak the boat. Made it in with a boat full of water, soaked, scared and shaking, and ready for several beers.

Camped up in the mountains north of Taos NM. Middle of the night, heard something wrestling around outside the tent. Heard the snorts and grunts. It was a bear for sure. Scared the shit out of me. It eventually wandered off into the night. Didn't sleep much after that. The next day I'm flyfishing in a small lake near camp. Sure as shit, there's a bear sitting about 150 yards from me eating berries and casually glancing at me from time to time. Cool but scary

Simply Red
10-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Too many to list them all. Here's a few.
Out on Mille Lacs lake in Mn several years ago. We were about 7 miles out (on 7 mile flat) when a microburst came in. My boat was a 16' deep V hull. We had 5 foot waves and at least 40mph winds in an instant. I thought for sure we were going down. I crawled along in the boat, measuring each and every freaking wave to minimize the amount of water coming over the bow. Sometimes the bow would hit a good 2' into the next wave and soak the boat. Made it in with a boat full of water, soaked, scared and shaking, and ready for several beers.

Camped up in the mountains north of Taos NM. Middle of the night, heard something wrestling around outside the tent. Heard the snorts and grunts. It was a bear for sure. Scared the shit out of me. It eventually wandered off into the night. Didn't sleep much after that. The next day I'm flyfishing in a small lake near camp. Sure as shit, there's a bear sitting about 150 yards from me eating berries and casually glancing at me from time to time. Cool but scary

I would have never guessed NM had bear populations. I know almost nothing about that state though. I suppose they have some black bears. https://geology.com/stories/13/bear-areas/

ChiefsFanatic
10-10-2018, 11:06 PM
I know we'd talked a few years ago - I'm sure we know a lot of the same people - sorry about Donnie - that's awful - seemed like a good dude - I never knew him. Now he was Mike's nephew, right? Donnie's father was the founder of the Dairy side of Zarda, correct? Where was all of this, out working toward Independence off of 40 or something? I'm trying to recall what you told me. Donnie graduated between my cousin's year and my sisters. So no real connection to the name. But I do know Mike Zarda. Thanks for sharing - that's interesting.

We lived in Grain Valley. Right at Buckner-Tarsney and I believe Old R.D. Mize road. His house was on Buckner-Tarsney and mine was on R.D. Mize, which was on the way to Monkey Mountain. I believe that Jerry and Mike started the restaurant together, but Mike was running the sauce plant when Jerry died. I am pretty sure Jerry died while jogging. He had a brain aneurysm. That's what I remember. But I vividly remember when he came to my house to tell me, and my mother about it. I hadn't been to a funeral that I could remember, and I didn't have too much knowledge about death either.

Jerry used to comp my parents all the time at the restaurant. It was in the strip mall where Godfather's pizza used to be. And I got to go to a couple of games in their suite at Arrowhead. We sucked at the time.

After I moved to Blue Springs Donnie would ride his bike to my house and we would ride all over the place. He loved riding that bike. He had a really nice Raleigh that his dad bought him because he felt guilty for smacking him.

By high school we had stopped hanging out. When I was in my 30s I ran into him at 24hr Fitness. He had just moved back from Texas because there was some drama with his boyfriend. When he told me, I just played it off like it was nothing, but later I told him that I was hurt because I would have accepted him. But also, I understood why he was afraid to tell me.

He was going to take me skydiving when he got back from Europe. I had asked where a good place to go and learn would be, and he was hey I'll take you myself. He was always a great friend to me. Even bailed my big mouth out in elementary school once.

Simply Red
10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
We lived in Grain Valley. Right at Buckner-Tarsney and I believe Old R.D. Mize road. His house was on Buckner-Tarsney and mine was on R.D. Mize, which was on the way to Monkey Mountain. I believe that Jerry and Mike started the restaurant together, but Mike was running the sauce plant when Jerry died. I am pretty sure Jerry died while jogging. He had a brain aneurysm. That's what I remember. But I vividly remember when he came to my house to tell me, and my mother about it. I hadn't been to a funeral that I could remember, and I didn't have too much knowledge about death either.

Jerry used to comp my parents all the time at the restaurant. It was in the strip mall where Godfather's pizza used to be. And I got to go to a couple of games in their suite at Arrowhead. We sucked at the time.

After I moved to Blue Springs Donnie would ride his bike to my house and we would ride all over the place. He loved riding that bike. He had a really nice Raleigh that his dad bought him because he felt guilty for smacking him.

By high school we had stopped hanging out. When I was in my 30s I ran into him at 24hr Fitness. He had just moved back from Texas because there was some drama with his boyfriend. When he told me, I just played it off like it was nothing, but later I told him that I was hurt because I would have accepted him. But also, I understood why he was afraid to tell me.

He was going to take me skydiving when he got back from Europe. I had asked where a good place to go and learn would be, and he was hey I'll take you myself. He was always a great friend to me. Even bailed my big mouth out in elementary school once.

Yes - very familiar - My neighborhood was behind 707 - so I would walk there all the time - The following were in the strip-mall - Radio Shack, Zarda, House of Hooch and Flavor Maid donuts - as well as a dry cleaner and a carwash. :)

Rasputin
10-11-2018, 10:13 AM
The time this summer i took my kayak on the Rio Grand in New Mexico.

Didn't go as planned as i wiped out several times and was in over my head. Didn't take me long to realize the Oh shit i'm fucked now with the current of the water going quicker than i anticipated and going over rocks that were unforgiving. Each time i wiped out i was like a pinball in the water banging my legs against rocks. I'd had to pull my kayak to the side and dump gallons of water out and that was a bitch to do. Then i lost my ore and it went ahead of me but i was up shit creek without a paddle. I'd go backwards in the kayak and then got hung up on a big rock and hit my head. I was going backwards in the kayak and got hung up on a big rock and hit my head. Then water started flowing in and I knew i was fucked. it dumped me out again but this time the kayak was stuck and i was holding onto it with my legs flowing in the current i had to make a life decision and thought to myself "I can always buy a new kayak but I can't buy a new me" so I let go of the damned thing and the water flung me from the kayak and i couldn't muster strength to go recover it and got beat up by moar rocks as i made my way to the side of the river. Glad i put the life jacket on or i know I would have been a gonner.

So I made it to the side but walking the side of the river was a bitch I found my ore at least and then made it up the side of the ravine and along the shoulder of the highway but had to walk on the edge of the road from the barriers that kept cars and trucks from running me over. I walked and walked 3 and half miles in water shoes that do not prevent cactus needles going into your foot.

I was exhausted betime i got to my destination where my ride was waiting for me. I just about collapsed.

Come to find out i kayaked the Racecourse level 4 experience and people have died doing what i did. All i can say is it was fun.